OMWH Listening Party!

ldyjocelyn

He is going to kill me in concert with song. Really he will.

"not one regret behind me" that "behind me is great"

and "my last chance" love what he does with those phrases.

This song has many "cries" in his voice. the ache really comes through.

Either you're going to rescue me or you're going to be the death of me.

I then he goes into the higher key....just so powerful.

you and I are quite in sync with this song cagney...I love those little cry...and I even like the imperfection on fate...beautiful and pain...very poignant. I think thats what makes this more current to me...his voice is not too smooth and perfect...

I'm not a fan of the key switch, not just in this song, but generally.

I like the techno sound of the echo.

I love the echo too! But I also love the key switch. :P

I don't know that I necessarily hear 'country' in this one either.........I know I've read on the boards that the demo to this one was 'country' so I probably just assumed it, but in listening, I don't really hear it either.

I'm getting close to declaring this one my favorite!

I haven't seen the big blue where i draw the line

Are we on it now?

6 where i draw the line

Slow entry - building to a bit uptempo.

I like the guitar percussion that kind of drives the beat.

Yes, it’s another I’m Afraid to Love kind of song. But the lyric shows what we all feel at sometime in our life - we hope the object of our affection is going to take that extra step that we’re afraid to take.

Favorite lines - might be my favorite from the album

. . .either you’re gonna resuce me

or you’re gonna be the death of me . . .

You definitely hear the “cry” in his voice on this one. But - it’s fear of taking the next step - it’s not a death knell. You’re left with hope, I think.

Love the piano ‘tink’ at the end.

PS

I lived this song when DH and I met.

I was recently divorced and was so afraid to trust my feelings.

I had been in love before. I thought. But the marriage didn’t survive.

What if I believed in love again and the same thing happened??!

Love this one.

I’m glad DH made me believe!

Yeah, Cotton, I can see where this would be a pretty common feeling

thanks for sharing...I think this happens so many times... I also think its so Clay..thats why it will be tough for him to have that relationship...

I don't know why I feel the country vibe.

It's not the SOUND.

I think it's the story, the lyric that maybe has that feel.

???

And yes - I have read the lyrics.

I used to write poetry a lot.

So - the words mean a lot.

Even though I almost majored in music and melody and beat mean a lot too!

This song is a KILLER! From the opening lines with his voice breaking- you can feel the pain.

The line "How much will they take before I'm empty" really resonated with me, because I sometimes feel that the "fandom" just squeezes so much out of him- always asking for and expecting more.....

A couple of things for me with this song:

1) I find the lyrics to this song heartbreaking -- not being open enough, or not afraid, to let someone in to their heart.

2) This is the song that I find myself singing more often than not.

3) I think this would make a great radio single. Better than Ashes. *ducks*

I've loved reading that this is one of the bigger songs for Clay on iTunes.

I'm another voter for this as a radio single.

Gibby, question for you. How many of the songs on this album are in a major key? Or could you please post the keys for all at some point?

I love the piano at the beginning of this song. Those are some great chord changes. And that single piano note that punctuates this song is really neat to me too.

I think the utter simplicity of the beginning works for me.

I know this is long - but . . .

7 the real me

His voice is so ‘open’, so ‘bare’ on this one. It is almost prayerful.

I can hear it as a song to someone who loves you.

Or, as Clay as said, as God.

I don’t think he thinks he’s made a mess of his life hearing this.

But I think all of us have felt we didn’t make good decisions at times in our lives.

shadows of shattered dreams -

That could be - a failed marriage - I certainly lived that.

A job that didn’t turn out the way you expected, giving your life a harsh turn.

I certainly see why Clay relates - he is ON PARADE all. the. time!

But I hear the song as very positive. Very much a coming out of bad times - not living IN a bad time. And feeling the ‘lifting up’ of God - or a loved one - who believes in you making that difference in your life.

AWWW....

what a first verse, really sounds so vulnerable...GAH...

I love BEFORE I;m empty...

At this point Clay sees this a song to God, but I do hope that at some time he can sing this to someone in his life.

the words are so stirring...

I love the vulnerability in this one, hearing his breaths.

I'm intrigued by the self-inflicted circus clown line. Wondering if he relates to that since he often seems to use humor as defense mechanism.

The Real Me

This song slays me. It affects me in different ways on different days. Earlier this week I had a rough day and I took the iPod to bed with me, and when this song came on, it had me in tears, because I was relating the lyrics to my own situation. Other times I think of Clay singing it and what it might mean to him. It's a v.v powerful song, and a very personal song. I am thrilled that he opened himself up enough to sing it.

My favourite verse starts with "painted on, life is behind a mask, self inflicted circus clown, tired of the song and dance."

I love his voice on it. I love certain words, the way he pronounces them. My favourite line in the whole song is "what a mess I've made". I love the way he pronounces "what" like wuuuuuuuuuuuuuut. And the way the melody changes in the line as opposed to the lines before it.

I love the vulnerability in this one, hearing his breaths.

I'm intrigued by the self-inflicted circus clown line. Wondering if he relates to that since he often seems to use humor as defense mechanism.

I had that same thought -- but there's also the mask idea there too.

Maybe the difference between Clay and Clayton?

Piano intro has a gospel feel to it, but then the opening vocals are kind of "Broadway" sounding, but soft.

It's a beautiful melody and song, very delicate. The lyrics are very sophisticated.

I like this one better once it gets going. The background comes in, and his voice relaxes a bit.

Not one of my favorites and yet a very moving and powerful song.

The last 4/5s are gorgeous - the first part just comes across whiny to me.

I agree. Well, maybe not whiny, but something that doesn't appeal to me. It's a beautiful song once it gets going, but I hear a Disney character in the beginning. Not a bad thing, but not a good fit for a pop CD.

This seems very Broadway to me, as if a show should stop while someone reflects on what is happening,. like it needs a context. Buried in this album, people are reading waaay too much into it.

Itis funny, but I was comenting on a review about all the songs on this album being downers, yet I see most of them as hopeful, wioth this being happy in the sense that there is one person/entitiy that can see reality and not think there is this artificial being behind the mask.