OMWH Listening Party!

ldyjocelyn

This song strikes a chord with me. You only let someone get so close before you draw the time because you've been hurt before and you don't want to be hurt again.

Then you meet someone who you so badly want to let in, but there is that nagging fear of the pain. So you are trying to decide to take a chance and let them in and risk the hurt, or shut them out and feel the numbness you have felt in your loneliness.

You know that person could be the one who saves you from that loneliness or, if they end u p hurting you, the pain of losing the one person you let in might kill you.

There is yearning for this person but its very hard to break down the walls you have built up and let them cross the line.

My favorite part of this song is the bridge

Either you're gonna rescue me

Or you're gonna be the death of me....

Yep...like both the words AND the sound

And then right afterwards he actually has a mini-glory note! :lilredani:

And then there's that out-of-tune upright piano ending the song! :cryingwlaughter:

Oh, yeah, I love those parts, too!! I love the harmonies and the chords in the bridge. And then the key changes up 1/2 step right after the bridge, which adds a lot of drama and emphasis to the last verse.

The opening and verses to this are much like the previous song with the electronic sound and some atonality, but then it shifts into a more traditional sound on the chorus. Interesting chorus. On the chorus the guitars are so typically "rock," just frantic strumming and loud. There's a bit of a country feel in the chorus as well.

Then it shifts keys, and gets louder and louder. I like the way a single guitar or is it keyboard, or both, is now taking almost a descant over the more traditional guitar licks.

Then at the end, back to an electronic sound. Nice. Very dissonant at the end with the off-key piano. Again, that touch of "noise."

"Either you're going to rescue me. or you're going to be the death of me"

Do you hear the driving guitar there? So powerful.

I think this has the strongest potential to be a huge hit of any song in the album. So agree with your point, ldejoycelyn.

Took me a few listens to hear what sounds like a heartbeat right at the end as it fades out. Cool.

So I wasn't imagining that! Yay! :cryingwlaughter:

I dont' mind this, but there are times I think his voice goes "flat"....nasally...in the beginning, on the long held notes. When he does that in concert, that's when I imagine him thinking about what he's going to have for supper later. :cryingwlaughter:

When he hits Faaaaaaaate and Paaaaaaaaaage in the first bridge is where I don't care for it

I don't hear country in it, though, as others have said.

Rest of it is quite nice.

I really don;t get where the country vibe is coming from. It used to drive me crazy when people said that about WYSYLM cos I loved that too and I usually hate country...

I find this a pretty contemporary pop/rock ballad.

I love the chorus...great hook and the words with the melody is so singable...this is the one I usually sing along to.

I haven't seen the big blue where i draw the line

Are we on it now?

6 where i draw the line

Slow entry - building to a bit uptempo.

I like the guitar percussion that kind of drives the beat.

Yes, it’s another I’m Afraid to Love kind of song. But the lyric shows what we all feel at sometime in our life - we hope the object of our affection is going to take that extra step that we’re afraid to take.

Favorite lines - might be my favorite from the album

. . .either you’re gonna resuce me

or you’re gonna be the death of me . . .

You definitely hear the “cry” in his voice on this one. But - it’s fear of taking the next step - it’s not a death knell. You’re left with hope, I think.

Love the piano ‘tink’ at the end.

PS

I lived this song when DH and I met.

I was recently divorced and was so afraid to trust my feelings.

I had been in love before. I thought. But the marriage didn’t survive.

What if I believed in love again and the same thing happened??!

Love this one.

I’m glad DH made me believe!

Yeah, Cotton, I can see where this would be a pretty common feeling

I'm seriously not getting any country vibe from this one.

I have hit replay on Fallin so many times it ain't funny.

I have always thought it was about holding on to the past while still trying to survive in the present - never thought suicide at all!

Living in this new world and trying to understand/grasp it, yet not quite letting go of what used to be . .

the celebrity

the anonymity of teaching

two completely different worlds.

Must be even more crazy than we can imagine!

Cotton... Good point! :clap:

WIDTL...

I thought, too, at first that it had a country vibe to it, but it's slight. I think this song grabbed Clay cause he's so afraid that he'll never find love cause he's too afraid of being loved for who he is, not who he really is. I think he's been hurt and is afraid. I read somewhere where Hannah told someone Clay was all excited that she didn't know who he was and so he knows she likes him for him.

He's saying she will have to be strong enough to get thru the walls he protects himself with. I love this one!

Is this the out of tune piano?

I could be wrong but I think that is on as long as we're here

I think he said that it was in a couple of songs, so I think it's both.

I don't get a country vibe from this one either!

Five minutes to next song!

He is going to kill me in concert with song. Really he will.

"not one regret behind me" that "behind me" is great

and "my last chance" love what he does with those phrases.

This song has many "cries" in his voice. the ache really comes through.

Either you're going to rescue me or you're going to be the death of me.

I then he goes into the higher key....just so powerful.

Right now, for me, this is the best song on the album.

Love the instrumentation with Clay's being the most amazing.

"Either you're going to rescue me. or you're going to be the death of me"

Do you hear the driving guitar there? So powerful.

I think this has the strongest potential to be a huge hit of any song in the album. So agree with your point, ldejoycelyn.

Yup I love that one of my favorite parts...

and I totally love the key change and that wailing Times...love it...so dramatic...

One of my loves....

Took me a few listens to hear what sounds like a heartbeat right at the end as it fades out. Cool.

So I wasn't imagining that! Yay! :cryingwlaughter:

I thought I heard that too! I think its pretty cool.

I really don;t get where the country vibe is coming from. It used to drive me crazy when people said that about WYSYLM cos I loved that too and I usually hate country...

I find this a pretty contemporary pop/rock ballad.

I love the chorus...great hook and the words with the melody is so singable...this is the one I usually sing along to.

I think the country comes because some country dude is one of the writers I think. At least I think remember reading that. I don't get the country thing at all. I got it on WYSYLM, but not on this.

I agree this could be a big hit. And sorry Scarlett, I think it had more hit potential than Ashes!

He is going to kill me in concert with song. Really he will.

"not one regret behind me" that "behind me is great"

and "my last chance" love what he does with those phrases.

This song has many "cries" in his voice. the ache really comes through.

Either you're going to rescue me or you're going to be the death of me.

I then he goes into the higher key....just so powerful.

You & I are in the same boat on this one, cagney!

I love this song. I'm listening to these songs only for the 2nd time tonight so I feel like I haven't really soaked them up yet. I have yet to sit down with the lyrics. Cotton I've been reading your stuff and you're the complete opposite of me. I can tell you have given all of this a lot of thought and really have had time to let them really wash over you.

All I know is that after listening over and over tonight all I can say is that I'm so proud of Clay. Wonderful job!

I'm still haven't "released" Spam from my thoughts though so every time Clay chances the key...I can hear Hannah and Galahad singing that once in every show song.heee.

Is this the out of tune piano?

I could be wrong but I think that is on as long as we're here.

widtl is the one I feel the country crossover on.

The piano does seem to be a bit out of tune on this song, but you're right, Cotton, it is much more prominent in 'As Long As We're Here.'

I wish I could remember which interview in the last couple of days - but he said . . .

"I used to trust and believe EVERYBODY . . . and now I'm - like - whatdoyouwant?!"?

Yeah. I think his trust was violated - and not just in love but in LIFE!