OMWH Listening Party!

ldyjocelyn

I love the vulnerability in this one, hearing his breaths.

I'm intrigued by the self-inflicted circus clown line. Wondering if he relates to that since he often seems to use humor as defense mechanism.

Oooo! I like that interpretation!!

God the first first verse slays me!!!

When I heard the Slovenian snippets, the Real Me was one of my favorites. It was the one I kept singing to myself again and again for literally the whole day.

I am not wild by the beginning on the cd, i think it is a little theatrical. And that is one of the criticisms for the whole album which I think is unjustified.

But when he sang it on QVC, that beginning was perfection.

I think this is a wonderful showcase for his voice.

And yes, I could see it on a broadway play.

I dislike that flutey thing at the end that sounds like a horn in the sea, what is that called.

The how much will they take line kills me. :cry4:

The Real Me... I read in an early interview where Clay said that this song was about being a celebrity and how much you need to have someone around you that knows the real you in order to stay grounded. Now, he's saying he thinks of God when he sings it. Mayber he changed his mind or maybe it's both.

Strong lyrics, to me.

The pathos in his voice at the beginning is gut wrenching.

Love the change up on "believe". He draws it out and plays with it.

"Reveal me" is sung very strongly.... maybe to his God. He said in LTS that he wanted God to use him in a way that will serve Him the most.

All the knotheads that think this is Clay's coming out song are full of it.

Beautiful song, but I usually skip this one to get to the next fast song. I listen about every third time thru the rotation. LOL

Oh, I LOVE this song. But sometimes I have to be in just the right mood to listen to it. Sometimes if I've been rocking out, I'm not ready to listen to this.

I love the lyrics. LOVE THEM. Can't completely explain it unless I do so in religious terms. Clay says that, for him, this is a song sung to God. To me he's singing about being completely loved and accepted by God, despite any messes he's made in his life. God sees the real person underneath any pretenses, and loves him just as he is. I LOVE that theme, and I totally resonate with it.

I'm thrilled that Clay said that this song can be interpreted by people in whatever works for them. So, for a lot of people it won't be about God.

Musically, I love the chorus. I love how he sings ' you see ' and ' reveal me. ' It's just gorgeous. And I'm so happy he builds the song toward the end. It starts soft and vulnerable, but with rejoicing about total acceptance.

I know this is long - but . . .

7 the real me

His voice is so ‘open’, so ‘bare’ on this one. It is almost prayerful.

I can hear it as a song to someone who loves you.

Or, as Clay as said, as God.

I don’t think he thinks he’s made a mess of his life hearing this.

But I think all of us have felt we didn’t make good decisions at times in our lives.

shadows of shattered dreams -

That could be - a failed marriage - I certainly lived that.

A job that didn’t turn out the way you expected, giving your life a harsh turn.

I certainly see why Clay relates - he is ON PARADE all. the. time!

But I hear the song as very positive. Very much a coming out of bad times - not living IN a bad time. And feeling the ‘lifting up’ of God - or a loved one - who believes in you making that difference in your life.

True...but it also speaks about how isolated he can feel at times. When he has to have a mask and when he feels llke everyone is scrutiizing his movements...

I am glad he has such strong faith that he can turn to for comfort...

The Real Me, I love it, just seems like a vocal masterpiece to me.

Absolutely agree.

I love how he uses falsetto and vibrato to accentuate the emotions he is feeling.

Clay has said that this is a song to his god. I really have trouble relating to that so I choose to see the song about a tortured sole begging for an explaination and help.

This song just hits me in the pit of my stomache.

Love the change up on "believe". He draws it out and plays with it.

Yeeessss!

Piano intro has a gospel feel to it, but then the opening vocals are kind of "Broadway" sounding, but soft.

It's a beautiful melody and song, very delicate. The lyrics are very sophisticated.

I like this one better once it gets going. The background comes in, and his voice relaxs a bit.

Not one of my favorites and yet a very moving and powerful song.

I think this is me too. (Do YOU see the real me jmh?) I like this one a lot, and yet....I'm not falling all over myself with this song. I really like so much of it, especially that piano part at the beginning. But still, something is missing for me, I think.

Maybe I need to listen to it a few gazillion more times.

Yes, play, I feel the positive in these songs, and this one as well.

I think one of Clay's problems is that he is a thinker.

Some people don't want to take time to think.

I think the balance of complexity - and simplicity - achieved in the album are amazing!

I see this being being sung about anyone who makes you feel that no matter what they love you. They believe you and in you.

I almost see it as the opposite as the media was trying to play it.

KAndre, I don't think of his singing the first verse as speaking it. I think it's his way of singing it to actually make you feel the vulnerablity and as he moves through the song it sounds more triumphant JMO

I do love the chorus of this song. I also love the wuuuuuuut.

I like what Clay does with his vowels.

Clay, I would like to buy a vowel.

I really do like this song.

ETA: I get a Proud of Your Vibe from the beginning of the song.

I noticed it the snippets, the Slovenian had the stronger and fuller chorus and the Amazon has the earlier chorus. I do like how the song builds.

Like how sings "self-inflicted" , "charade" not as much.

But the transitions he makes, so smooth and easy. this can't be an easy song to sing.

I wonder what Hannah thinks of this album.

I see this as another song of triumph over adversity. Be it God or his mother or his friends or the love a good woman he was lost and now he's found.

I'm loosening my grasp

No need to hold back my frailty

'Cause you see the real me

Is there any better feeling than being able to truly be yourself - warts and all - with someone? Its like freedom. Its like someone lets you breathe.

The Real Me... I read in an early interview where Clay said that this song was about being a celebrity and how much you need to have someone around you that knows the real you in order to stay grounded. Now, he's saying he thinks of God when he sings it. Mayber he changed his mind or maybe it's both.

I think I heard this explanation from the composer on a you tube of her singing this...how its about the pressure of being perfect.But clay Always said it was a song to God for him but could be interpreted in any way.

I love the line "hiding in my skin, broken from within".

The lyrics to this song are just amazing. This has been near the top of the list for me since we heard the snippets, too.

I think this one is going to be amazing in concert.

I see this as another song of triumph over adversity. Be it God or his mother or his friends or the love a good woman he was lost and now he's found.

I'm loosening my grasp

Is there any better feeling than being able to truly be yourself - warts and all - with someone? Its like freedom. Its like someone lets you breathe.

Exactly.

The Real Me

This song slays me. It affects me in different ways on different days. Earlier this week I had a rough day and I took the iPod to bed with me, and when this song came on, it had me in tears, because I was relating the lyrics to my own situation. Other times I think of Clay singing it and what it might mean to him. It's a v.v powerful song, and a very personal song. I am thrilled that he opened himself up enough to sing it.

My favourite verse starts with "painted on, life is behind a mask, self inflicted circus clown, tired of the song and dance."

I love his voice on it. I love certain words, the way he pronounces them. My favourite line in the whole song is "what a mess I've made". I love the way he pronounces "what" like wuuuuuuuuuuuuuut. And the way the melody changes in the line as opposed to the lines before it.

Yup me too...it affects me differently...sometimes I just feel for him having to deal with all these pressures and at times its me...

KAndre, I don't think of his singing the first verse as speaking it. I think it's his way of singing it to actually make you feel the vulnerablity and as he moves through the song it sounds more triumphant JMO

To me, it almost sounds like he is crying in the first few lines. GAH.

I like that in the verse that the songwriter changed for him- "Shadows of shattered dreams... they've followed me.... they've haunted me... But you've taken the broken pieces of my life.... And helped me to believe.."

it ends on an uplifting and positive note- he has found peace and acceptance with ................ (fill in the blank)- God, lover, friend, parent- whoever.

I'm loosening my grasp

Exactly.

YUP ... its when you can truly believe in unconditional love from another person