#32: Man with titanium balls and the voice to back them up!

Ansamcw

What should the next thread title be at FCA?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be at FCA?

• Where he thinks he belongs, and it's not in any lane, it's all over the damned highway.
    • "Clay Aiken: #1 Bad Ass"
    • Large and in Charge...
    • Let's all chant "I think it can! I think it can! I think it can!"
    • He is too good, too magical...
    • I have seen the light and the light is named Clay!

The Neil Diamond thing, having his first number one ever, was strange to me until I realized that Rick Rubin produced it. That, in itself, would guarantee a No. 1, more for Rick Rubin's reputation than Neil's. Since Rubin runs the label now, no doubt he flooded the market with Neil Diamond CDs, with regular and extended versions for sale everywhere. He has to make sure that everything he touches is "magic" -- his reputation being what it is. And if he can get a number one for the new Metallica CD he's producing, all doubt will be removed.

And Toby Keith? I have no idea. When it comes to country music, I'm lost. I cede that genre to my friend Clayzorback! But .... he's had 35 hits? 35? How old is he?

93K? I'm cool with that. That's four consecutive CD's to debut in the top five. CONGRATULATIONS CLAY! That's a pretty freakin' good soundbite in my opinion. I'm sure a marketing expert can tell me how flawed my thinking is though. :imgtongue: I'm personally glad I'm not a Madonna fan looking at a 70+ % drop. And that was before Leno - I too had somebody tell me today that they'd seen him, and that 'he should have won that show'. Heheh. To date, that's the most common remark I get from people who see the CD laying about on my desk. *g* They loved the song.

KF, I do believe it was spot who reported the snotty hair.

Whether we accept it or not a lot of people have been around this fandom for a long time. We do get to know each other - for better or worse. The ATDW experience coloured how I perceive many, many people on the boards - and this round isn't doing anything to change that. I have witnessed people who were clearly thrilled with something have their opinions changed by just a few words from certain members of the board-dom. Sadly, I've hardly ever seen the reverse side of that equation. (The CITH tour being the exception. Heh.) I haven't followed any other fandoms, and indeed I doubt there have been many like this one - borne of the internet age. It really is a double-edged sword.

I have a favorite song on the CD. The Real Me. That is all.

subject to change without notice.

Hee. That's one of my favourites too. But today, I'm cheating on it with Forget I Ever Knew You. Yummmmmmmmmmmm.

I adore The Real Me, I want to have Sacrificial Love's babies and I can't get enough of As Long As We're Here.

Hee like anyone cares what I think.

Oh and Clay you done good babee (And you're cute too!)

I have a favorite song on the CD. The Real Me. That is all.

subject to change without notice.

Hee. That's one of my favourites too. But today, I'm cheating on it with Forget I Ever Knew You. Yummmmmmmmmmmm.

Ohhh... I LOVE Forget I Ever Knew You... but, I also LOVE As Long As We're Here and a few others come very closely after those two. The man made magic this time! I must admit I skip the ballads every other time thru the cd, just cause the uptempo songs make me bop while driving and the ballads make me introspective, so are not as fun while driving.

After Clay's blog, I was prepared for much worse than 3rd. He and Jaymes were very smart to give us a heads up about lower numbers for everyone. I like Neil Diamond, so I'm fine with him being #1 if Clay couldn't do it. Toby Keith obviously has more fans than HDD realized.

I only know a bit about him, but my impression is that he's old-school country and he is very in your face about some stuff. Lots of country people like those rough edges, I reckon!

As for the venue find... I do have several grains of salt, especially about the Tina Turner part. I'm guessing communication breakdown. It would be sorta cool, tho, to see/hear the two of them jamming on some fast song with Q & A helping out. Maybe something for charity??? Speculation is fun as long as no one takes it seriously... I know I don't. LOL

Well, all I gotta say is......at first, when I encountered this: bn242085-1.jpg or this: scream2.jpg or this: time_disgust_image.jpg , this secret-keepers-pic.gifon the boards, I would feel like this: scaredkitty.jpg or this: hair.jpg. After I while, I could sorta ignore that stuff and look like this: toohappykitty.jpg but now, I just stay in my happy place and look like this laughcat2.jpg oops! sekrit eHP pic - wait! more like this: happygirl.jpg

Well, all I gotta say is......at first, when I encountered this: bn242085-1.jpg or this: scream2.jpg or this: time_disgust_image.jpg , this secret-keepers-pic.gifon the boards, I would feel like this: scaredkitty.jpg or this: hair.jpg. After I while, I could sorta ignore that stuff and look like this: toohappykitty.jpg but now, I just stay in my happy place and look like this laughcat2.jpg oops! sekrit eHP pic - wait! more like this: happygirl.jpg

BWAH!!! djs...

ok...last call for Banner with new pix!!! I will put up the short lived banner of 00lsee tonight...

BTW. we were talking about Play's suggestion of extended discussion of OMWH songs.

We thought we would have a song for the day here on the Main thread. That means people can comment on said song all day long ...we don;t all have to be listening to it together. We might continue this with having a song discussion from each of the album and go on from there.

We can start this tomorrow...just not sure if we should do it by track order or alphabetically or random picks...so watch out for it...all we ask is that when making comments on the song for the day that people put a label on it so it will be easy to pick out the posts for this discussion.

No gauntlet thrown as far as I can see. I was just stating my views on how some people's opinions can be swayed by the perception of others. And as spikesmom pointed out, it does happen. I know, because early on in my fandom, I used to let it happen to me too. I used to think that people who spoke as if they were important or had inside connections or whatever must have some basis in fact. Now, I don't give their opinions any more weight than anyone else's opinions. That's one reason I like FCA, because I don't think it happens here. We're all equal, as we should be. We're all just fans.

Hah, obviously you are ignoring all the backdoor PM filled with inside information that fuels our imagination.

The thing that soured me on bits of the fandom was JNTII and the fact that some would take others description as fact wiothout seeing it . themselves, where some that condemned it travelled from show to show criticizing it. Sheep is a scarey thing, but sheep there are.

Look, most of us have been in this fandom since the beginning..we all have our issues but did you know Clay has a new album out? It's called On My Way Here LOL. Unless people are telling me my opinion is whack I am often most obtuse when something sets someone off. I enjoyed all the posts today...but again, I admit it, I am obtuse and often need something to go on for days before I boil over.

Tuesday is over YAY. Going home.

I'm going to put the poor dead horse out of its misery by saying that the problem started when I tried to paraphrase someone else's post instead of just bringing it over so you could read the whole thing and see the overall context and tone of her words. Because after the back and forth, I've gone back to read spot's whole post more than once and I swear I do not see what would've created a reason to start killing the messenger. Since I've had some personal experience in this whole 'audience full of Clay fans for a tv show' thing, I only wanted to point out how interesting it was for me to read about a fan's perception of a difference in the 'feel' of being part of an audience that is not mostly Clay fans; what evolved (as I review the posts here after mine) was a discussion about how some long-time fans' words carry baggage and so need to be weighed...

Well, of course everyone's words need to be weighed; I just didn't understand why my comment about someone's personal observation seemed to create a need to suggest that her observation was suspect. Certainly her tone delivering this post was not of the 'his hair looked like it had snot in it' vein. So I didn't understand why that particular item of info needed to be brought into TODAY'S observation at all.

Still don't.

But in the big ole' schem of things, it's no biggie. Plenty of REAL angst in the world to occupy us (ie China and Myanmar on a large scale, of course; and where our property tax payment money is coming from on a much less crucial one) There but for the Grace of God, right?

Speaking of GOG, I still haven't warmed up to that one or the Muppet one...but I woke up this morning singing Where I Draw the Line and that's news! That's a song that was only 'okay' in my book until just recently. And I'm with the Real Me love...his voice is truly exquisite on that one.

But honey! When Fallin' comes on, I'm ready to rock out! LOVE IT! Wanna see Clay do me it! I still haven't gotten tired of listening to the whole danged cd...

Oh, and Clay? You done GOOD, baybee! #3 maybe...but in our hearts (and girly parts :hubbahubba: ) you're numero uno! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

The thing that soured me on bits of the fandom was JNTII and the fact that some would take others description as fact wiothout seeing it . themselves, where some that condemned it travelled from show to show criticizing it. Sheep is a scarey thing, but sheep there are

Last Summer folks were ranting, on the 4th of July, about how bad his show was and it would be the end of him. Only problem was these people were not even at the concert but they sure influenced some thinking.

I now scroll on those posts.

Well, I would be in my happy place but just where does the fair and balanced network have a news show talkinga bout albums describe Clay as that Creepy American Idol Star - Fax news YOU DO NOT want to know how I would describe you - Take that!! I hope the ratings keep falling and you lose your network status! Whew!

I feel better now.

Did I ever tell you how disgusted I am when I wander into Fox news, often need a shower after just passing through.

Off to look for somthing and back to my potting, which is taking much longer than I expected.

eta Crap, photobucket made me change my password yesterday, now I don't remember it.

That last ones a little skeery!!!yow.gif

Ahhhh, that's better....

flirtysmile3.gif

msnbc.jpg

Ah, thank you for that! I'll take Clay ANY DAY over Mr Muscles.

SOOOO pleased with his ranking on the charts today- I had been trying to ignore all of the doom and gloom beforehand, but man, was I nervous all day long! Since I couldn't concentrate at work, I ended up listening to the CD and re-decorating my cubicle today with lots of pretty new pictures of Clay.(And I get paid for it! :clap: ) It's a wonder I ever get anything done!

Finally e-mailed a friend who sent the final figures to me just before I packed up to leave. I am so proud of everything Clay has accomplished- now I am just hoping for a way for this CD to be heard by the masses. Ya done good, baby! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

EEEEEEEE!!! Tuning in for the end of AI was a good thing tonight - our local station, WXIX channel 19 in Cincinnati, is going to talk with "one of Idol's most successful", Clay Aiken, tomorrow morning! :clap:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BOOKWHORE!!!!!!!!

:04: :04: :04:

Oh, I LOVE TRM, too, Couchie!

Until I hear Ashes, and then it's my favorite.

Then I hear WIDTL, and it goes through my head for hours.

Until I hear Falling, and then it's my all-time favorite!

But then I hear SL, and I get teary, and it's my new favorite . . .

Aw, I'll just admit it - I'm a slut and I can't choose a favorite!!

I LOVED Clay's appearance last night. Perfect. I coulda done without Q&A (I don't think the song really needs backing vocals), but really, they were okay, too! And the interview was wonderful, too! Clay was sooooo cute!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE for Clay being in the top three! That's amazing in a harsh climate for sales, especially with only a week of promo. What an accomplishment!!!

QUOTE("Ms Marmalade")

About.com

Clay Aiken - On My Way Here

From Bill Lamb

****/5 stars

This Is Clay Aiken

First, if you are a serious Clay Aiken fan, you will be very pleased with On My Way Here. The production throughout this album is wisely toned down to make plenty of room for Aiken's warm, sweet vocals. The songwriting, while not spectacular, is solid throughout. However, if polished adult contemporary is not your thing, this is a collection to pass by. Clay Aiken is a master of this style, but you won't find him much on most mainstream pop radio stations. It's a wise decision to stop chasing what's out of reach and stick to what he does best.

Music for the Fans

A key element to Clay Aiken's success thus far as a singer is his impressive ability to connect strongly with his core fans. At his best moments, he demonstrates the ability to ignore critics and zero in on what it is his listeners most want to hear. The covers album A Thousand Different Ways, largely dictated by record label interests, veered a bit off that path. However, On My Way Here, filled with lush ballads and a few slightly funky workouts, exploits Aiken's strengths as an engaging vocalist. More than a few songs here are destined to become favorites for his devoted following.

Solid Batch of Songs

The songs here are solid. A number of the songwriters here have strong backgrounds in the Contemporary Christian arena. Other standouts include the work of OneRepublic's Ryan Tedder on the album's title cut "On My Way Here." Sweden's Martin Kaxe and Fred Alexander edge Clay Aiken into pop-rock territory impressively on "Falling." Music industry veterans David Foster and Emanuel Kiriakou collaborate with Aiken on the gorgeous album closer "Lover All Alone."

Top Tracks from On My Way Here

On My Way Here

Falling

Weight of the World

Lover All Alone

Clay Aiken Takes a Firm Hold of His Niche

Success in the mainstream pop arena can be a very enticing bauble for a pop singer to attempt to grab. However, adult contemporary fans and radio are more likely to embrace an artist over the long term with appreciation for a polished voice. Clay Aiken's fellow American Idol alum Kimberley Locke has proven one can build a very solid career at adult contemporary radio with almost no exposure from mainstream pop stations. This is clearly Clay Aiken's comfort zone and from time to time on On My Way Here he soars. This is his niche in the pop music industry.

Was there a controversy here today? If so, another one flew right over my head. Not that I see that as a problem!

Had lunch with Sis today -- the nitpicker and natural born music critic. She warned me a couple of weeks ago that my anticipation level was too high for OMWH. Then on first listen she really liked the album, all except for Sacrificial Love -- said she was put off by the title. Today we were talking about something completely different and she interjected .. "Clay's album is GREAT. I even love Sacrificial Love now. Every song is GREAT." I knew she'd come around -- she loves that voice, and this time she's hooked on all the songs.

We're both in love with Forget I Ever Knew You, and 12 other songs.

I'm freaked in a good way by KAndre's post about Sunny99 having an interview with Clay tomorrow. That means they will play OMWH following the interview, doesn't it? At least once? One play, other than Christmas songs, would be a breakthrough for KODA.

Last Summer folks were ranting, on the 4th of July, about how bad his show was and it would be the end of him. Only problem was these people were not even at the concert but they sure influenced some thinking.

I now scroll on those posts.

Of course, some of us were saying how bad we thought it was and we were there - and some who were not were telling us we were wrong. It works both ways!

Nice review of the CD from About.com EXCEPT why does he keep having to say or imply it will only appeal to his core fans? Why can't he say his fans will love it but so will anyone else who likes that kind of music. And while I am one of the few who don't bear any grudge against Kim Locke, she may have done well on AC radio but she sure doesn't seem to sell any albums! Is her TOTAL for her last album even close to Clay's one week sub-par sales?

Speaking of GOG, I still haven't warmed up to that one or the Muppet one...

**Sniff** I love my Muppet song..... I also have grown to love GOG, but not as much as my Muppet song!

We're both in love with Forget I Ever Knew You, and 12 other songs.

12 other songs? Please don't tell me you too to don't like my Muppet song!!!! :cry4:

:bday2: BOOKWHORE!!!!!

Some guys might need a full-sized sheet cake. I'm just sayin'...

:cryingwlaughter:

It's really weird to me that KLO is considered successful because her songs get played on the radio. I think I'm one of the few people actually buying her albums. The music business is really in this strange strange place. I mean what does having a song played on the radio get a record company? I do agree that Clay is an adult contemporary artist though. When I was in Target it was so weird to see the section for hip hop and rap vs the pop albums. It was twice as big. So how are record companies making their money? Ring tones? And if so where do I buy Clay's LOL. I just don't know where all of this is going.

When I look at the charts I'm glad Clay stayed competitive with what's going on. I thought he had much more promo than he did for ATDW. Is it just the markets..or does controversy just sell better. I remember last time Clay got Larry King only after the GMA appearance... this time no controversy.... he just talked abut his journey. I'll take it.

I hope his showing gets him some good mentions. It seems people expect him to buck all trends. Never mind that all artists are struggling to sell what they used to. And I hope the fact that he has more promo this week will cushion the drop everybody gets on their second week. 71% for Madonna.

I said before this album came out that the most important thing to me is that he got to make the album he wanted. And it is. I feel like Clay is here to stay.. it's been 5 years already. He just came off a successful run on Broadway and now another top showing on the charts. I know this is controversial but I really want Clay to get that talk show he wants. It will allow Clay to show the world all that he has to offer. I still feel that a surprising and unexpected duet would do wonders for him. He needs help in breaking into radio.

The Tina Turner thing is intriguing to me only that in represents the kind of radical D101 that it would bring. No I don't think Tina is opening for Clay or vice versa...and more than likely it's some sort of communication error...but still the fantasies ran rampant over it. I also thought of some sort of benefit linney or a festival or some sort of one time event but isn't this a small venue? Just doesn't seem to fit. But hell, Clay has suprrised me before. So yeah, salt mine, and SLC had enough qualifiers in there so I def won't get any hopes up...but it's a fun one. Tina does loves her young cute white boys hee. Anyway, I guess as much as my pocketbook wants Clay to wait until next year to tour.. the coffers can probably be filled by September heee and mostly found myself happy that perhaps he will be out on the road this year. One more flight and I'll have a free southwest ticket which is often my biggest expense anyway...and I'll probably get this later this month when I go to San Diego to see my neice in her first stage play! We have a little star in the family. Any San Diegans around here?