#36: It ain't my life, just my passion!

ldyjocelyn

New Thread Title Poll  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like our next thread title to be?

• Whatta man, whatta man, whatta mighty good man...
    • And the biggest protection of all will be love
    • Tell me another person that's ever gone through the Idol mill with such gifts.
    • Clay is the master lemonade maker
    • If you don't get Clay, no explanation is possible, and if you do, no explanation is necessary.
    • And--just on general principles--I love Clay.
    • muchos gracias to a globe-trotting, lazy-ass, dog-loving, soft-rocking dude!
    • Very nice to look at...this very well put together firecracker.
    • the class clown got to be the star
    • Whenever he's ready, I'm ready for whatever he's ready for.
    • FCA - An anarco-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync nomadic omnivores
    • when the sweetsingerman finds a style he likes he buys a dozen!!!!

OK, I'm missing something...what "Southern gentleman" thing did Ruben not do? Especially if the comment "his mama didn't teach him so well" goes along with it?

I was just referring to his body language really...not taking her arm, no hand behind the back...you know all the little sweet gentlemanly things Clay does automatically? Also his walking ahead of her for much of the way~Clay would NEVER have done that. And the Mama reference was in comparison only....I of course have NO idea what his Mama taught him. I just thought the body language was interesting.

ETA: FromClaygary - thanks for the info on the photocopying.....I really need to try that some time. Oh, and we have freezer paper in our grocery stores, too. I use it to make templates for applique so always have some on hand. I wonder if a standard HP printer would work....

Beautiful, Iseeme! I imagine those stars WERE quite the job! Do you paper piece? Based on your comment, I know those were not...but do you? Love the landscape! Are the miniatures free-hanging?

...and yes, an HP is supposed to be one of the best for printing on fabric.

So... how long would it take a complete and total newbie to make a quilt like those? Complete newbie -- went to my first guild meeting last week, actually was just "visiting" but everyone was so nice I signed up. They did give me 6 quilting magazines for free.

Iseeme's quilts are probably not the place you'd want to start *g*...especially those stars. But there are tons of simpler but equally gorgeous traditional and contemporary patterns. Stars have always been a favorite of mine too.

How long? Everyone will tell you it's not a race...enjoy the process....but 3-6 months depending on how long you work on it every day. And assuming machine pieced and quilted.

ETA: the other thing to do if you LOVE a particular pattern, but it's complex....is to do just one or a few blocks in that pattern, but BIG...they're easier if the pieces are larger. And of course you don't need so many to make a decent sized quilt.

Iseeme, HP has a great website also, with lots of creative ideas for their printers HP Creative

KAndre

OK, I'm missing something...what "Southern gentleman" thing did Ruben not do? Especially if the comment "his mama didn't teach him so well" goes along with it?
now I feel bad...I certainly didn't mean to offend...I am sorry. I have always noticed that when Clay is guiding a woman he usually puts his hand under her arm or on her back. I noticed that Ruben didn't. Could be my era maybe. It was more a "Isn't Clay wonderful" and not a Ruben hit. Most men I know don't usually do it either. It is one of the endearing qualities Clay has.

FromClaygary.....the mountain quilt is paper-pieced and the minis are not free-hanging. The quilt is called Memories of Sisters and the mountains are supposed to be Sisters, Oregon (they have a huuuuuge quilt show there every year, hang the quilts outside from all the stores, etc.) It was designed by a lady who lives in Lake Oswego, Ore. It was really fun to make. I love paper-piecing.....it's hard to make a mistake!

Scarlett....there are quilts where you use simple squares or rectangles. Once you learn how to use the rotary cutter and sew with 1/4" seam.....you can make one pretty quickly.... depending on how much time you have. Joining a guild is a good place to start as they usually have workshops - or someone could recommend a good beginning quilting instructor - learn the basics well!

One little comment about Ruben.....I bet he was nervous!!!! Singing on stage might be easier for him than getting married. Hee! And did you notice he had a towel in his left hand......or something white, anyway! Guess he still has those overactive sweat glands (eeeyeewww!) That could account for his lack of courtesy (nerves, not the sweating....) I wonder if photogs were lined up or if that was just a fan video. I just remember one time him saying on a TV show (with Clay) that he and Clay "are Southern gentleman!" Course saying it and being it are two different things! And I remember the pictures of Clay and Hannah coming from that Broadway Cares show.......(or maybe he just couldn't keep his hands off of her...... :whistling-1: )

So... how long would it take a complete and total newbie to make a quilt like those? Complete newbie -- went to my first guild meeting last week, actually was just "visiting" but everyone was so nice I signed up. They did give me 6 quilting magazines for free.

Iseeme's quilts are probably not the place you'd want to start *g*...especially those stars. But there are tons of simpler but equally gorgeous traditional and contemporary patterns. Stars have always been a favorite of mine too.

How long? Everyone will tell you it's not a race...enjoy the process....but 3-6 months depending on how long you work on it every day. And assuming machine pieced and quilted.

ETA: the other thing to do if you LOVE a particular pattern, but it's complex....is to do just one or a few blocks in that pattern, but BIG...they're easier if the pieces are larger. And of course you don't need so many to make a decent sized quilt.

Thanks for the advice, FromClaygary. I think I'll be needing a lot more.

I realize I should have said something more like, "someday I hope to make those" instead of being so bold. Sorry about that Iseeme. Your quilts are very beautiful but I had no idea how much talent, time, effort and experience went into them. I guess it was like a non-knitter pointing to a Fair Isle sweater and saying, "I want that for my next project!" *ashamed* :wub:

ETA:

Scarlett....there are quilts where you use simple squares or rectangles. Once you learn how to use the rotary cutter and sew with 1/4" seam.....you can make one pretty quickly.... depending on how much time you have. Joining a guild is a good place to start as they usually have workshops - or someone could recommend a good beginning quilting instructor - learn the basics well!
I probably didn't join the right guild -- they had a "show and tell" during the quild meeting and most of the quilts were stunning. Quite a few were planning to submit their works for the IQF. I guess they could recommend a good instructor but I'm suddenly thinking, maybe I should stick to knitting, spinning and dyeing.

Nah, I understand the "Clay's so wonderful" moments - it's just...I dunno. For most of the video, Ruben's holding her hand until she shakes it loose to hold up her dress - sort of like every wedding I've been to where the bride is in all that white - he gets a little ahead of her coming down the steps and then he holds the door while she goes through. Not a lack of courtesy as much as whew - love and marriage. And I think Ruben was carrying a handkerchief - considering it was late June in Alabama - HOT probably doesn't even begin to cover it. And Clay does sometimes guide a woman - but like most guys, unless something's happening, she's on her own - that "California model look with the mandals" with Jamie trailing behind immediately comes to mind...the mama thing did sort of trip a trigger for me because at least in my circles, saying your mother didn't raise you right is really, really bad. And I didn't think Ruben (or his mama deserved that) from a 30-second clip. Maybe I'm lucky enough to hang around a lot of "southern gentlemen" - but what Clay does and the amount that he does doesn't strike me as particularly unusual. The comments sort of pinged in the same way those "Clay is a diva" ones do - and a little of the damning with faint praise.

Still love Weight though...does Wallace & Gromit count as chick flicks? They're English dammit!

Though I gotta admit, I can't picture a situation where it wouldn't be convenient to be a Leo...

When you're bored and feel like just chucking it all and taking a left turn.... then it's convenient to be a Saggittarius.

oooh! Wallace and Gromit! :woohoo:

I'm not sure it's possible to judge whether someone is a gentleman or not from a short video--unless Ruben hit her over the head with his shoe.

Nah, I understand the "Clay's so wonderful" moments - it's just...I dunno. For most of the video, Ruben's holding her hand until she shakes it loose to hold up her dress - sort of like every wedding I've been to where the bride is in all that white - he gets a little ahead of her coming down the steps and then he holds the door while she goes through. And Clay does sometimes guide a woman - but like most guys, unless something's happening, she's on her own - that "California model look with the mandals" with Jamie trailing behind immediately comes to mind...the mama thing did sort of trip a trigger for me because at least in my circles, saying your mother didn't raise you right is really, really bad. And I didn't think Ruben (or his mama deserved that) from a 30-second clip. Maybe I'm lucky enough to hang around a lot of "southern gentlemen" - but what Clay does and the amount that he does doesn't strike me as particularly unusual. The comments sort of pinged in the same way those "Clay is a diva" ones do.

Still love Weight though...does Wallace & Gromit count as chick flicks? They're English dammit!

I remember that each time I came home from a NYC weekend this thing would happen to me at the office: I'd get into an elevator with some other people (usually guys since there are only 2 girls in my division and the other one's in a diff building), the elevator would get to our floor, the doors would open and then nothing. No one moves. I look around, puzzled, and then catch on that everyone's waiting for me to go first, so I move out and smile, after finally remembering that I'm back in the South. Gets me everytime!

"Wallace and Gromit" isn't a chick flick, but "Chicken Run" (by the same team) is!!!

Virgos Unite! Hee.

Has anyone seen either georgiaclay or Meesa lately? 'Cause it's their birthdays too! Happy birthday ladies!

Yep, still loving WOTW. Loving. I think I need to listen again....

Looks like I am in some good company with you and Merrieeee!

Kim

Thanks for showing us your gorgeous quilts, lajeterfan!!! Did you do the heart flowers too? (yes, I really was noticing the squares that didn't have his face, LOL!)

Yeah, learned how to do them when I was making my first pillow, so thought I'd throw them on there, too.

Here's a couple I did as BAF fundraisers in a similar vein as laljeter's:

This is Measure of a Man....front:

0fe54cb6.jpg

...back and label:

108_0821.jpg

and, This is the Night front (I don't have a picture of it finished, unfortunately, except for the back!)

108_0823.jpg

...and back and label:

108_0825.jpg

The words to the songs are quilted into the quilts.

Here are two of the classes I'll be teaching in the Fall. The pictures aren't too good, and the star quilt should be turned around (which I don't know how to do). The 2 1/2 inch Ohio Stars were a killer.

ForWebMemories_Of_Sisters.jpg

SomanyStarsForWeb.jpg

And this one was from an Australian quilt magazine....it's one of my favorites;

lgourcountryhome.jpg

Oh, those are all so gorgeous- and much more polished and professional looking than mine! You both do beautiful work!

In addition to the freezer paper method, which I think I used on Clay's quilt, you can also buy fabric squares with a peel-able paper backing. It's fairly expensive- I think it was about $10.00 for 4 sheets, but it works very well. And the printer does seem to make a difference. When I printed the pictures for my cousin's quilt, I had an Epson printer. When it died, I got a Dell (BIG mistake!), and you can see the difference in the color.

I think if you're looking for a small project to start, pillows are the way to go. There are so many things you can do with them, and they're not too much too handle. Sometimes you need to work your way up to the bigger projects! :whistling-1:

I'm not sure it's possible to judge whether someone is a gentleman or not from a short video--

Not to mention that being a gentleman with manners doesn't make someone a good person. My X has wonderful manners. He's still a lowlife-allergic-to-work-abandoned-his-kids slug.

Arrgh! I went to go see Chicken Run because it was by the same people, and left disappointed.

Strange Brew? It had a touching scene where one brother was sort semi temporarily left behind and he looked like he was gonna cry...

I'm being cultural this weekend anyway...merrieeee would be proud! Except I started with Kenneth Brannaugh's Henry V and couldn't understand most of the dialogue - discovered that I think good ol' King Harry was a complete and total ass - and Shakespeare told a LOT of historical license. The English killed 36,000 and only lost 25? Yeah, right. I know! Maybe we can get Henry V's PR people! They seem to be damn good!

Hey, Jamar,, why don't you tell us how you really feel?

Heh

Well, I am happy for Ruben. I think he is is going to miss his wife when he hits the road to tour though! I think the tour starts this fall.

I'm being cultural this weekend anyway...merrieeee would be proud! Except I started with Kenneth Brannaugh's Henry V and couldn't understand most of the dialogue - discovered that I think good ol' King Harry was a complete and total ass - and Shakespeare told a LOT of historical license. The English killed 36,000 and only lost 25? Yeah, right. I know! Maybe we can get Henry V's PR people! They seem to be damn good!

BWAH - I just know who you can suggest this to!

Hee Kandre don't you know it's all in the editing? What's a few thousand between enemies? The publicist said 36,000 were slain and then retracted the story cos they didn't want to use the AI factor (artificially inflate) and at a knees-up in the palace the king told some good friends he'd lost only 25! Nudge, nudge, wink, wink!

The tabloid, Yee Olde Londinium Globe got a hold of it and Bob's your uncle.....a legend is born!

I just d/l the Musicpass and it was easy but as for quality....I can't tell the difference but then I am not the most discerning listener.

Nah, I understand the "Clay's so wonderful" moments - it's just...I dunno. For most of the video, Ruben's holding her hand until she shakes it loose to hold up her dress - sort of like every wedding I've been to where the bride is in all that white - he gets a little ahead of her coming down the steps and then he holds the door while she goes through. Not a lack of courtesy as much as whew - love and marriage. And I think Ruben was carrying a handkerchief - considering it was late June in Alabama - HOT probably doesn't even begin to cover it. And Clay does sometimes guide a woman - but like most guys, unless something's happening, she's on her own - that "California model look with the mandals" with Jamie trailing behind immediately comes to mind...the mama thing did sort of trip a trigger for me because at least in my circles, saying your mother didn't raise you right is really, really bad. And I didn't think Ruben (or his mama deserved that) from a 30-second clip. Maybe I'm lucky enough to hang around a lot of "southern gentlemen" - but what Clay does and the amount that he does doesn't strike me as particularly unusual. The comments sort of pinged in the same way those "Clay is a diva" ones do - and a little of the damning with faint praise.

Oh, bigtime cultural thing for lizzybutts and I, I think! I know lizzybutts is from Alberta as well...and believe you me, those cowboys are SO not "Southern gentleman"! You mostly consider yourself lucky if you don't get trampled by them as you go through the door. Or maybe that's just me.

So~when we see Clay, we see Unusual. With a Capitol U. NICE Unusual.

And up here? Saying your mama didn't raise you right? Big nothing much....

I'm really glad you explained all that, actually! Cause sometimes us uncouth types up north here (speaking only for myself) don't get what we've said that caused a kerfuffle.

Sorry for the kerfuffle! Simple culture thing....no disrespect intended to Ruben's mama or anyone else!

Huh. I coulda swore Gloucester was the uncle!

Heh, merrieeee!

If only the French coulda fechez la vaches and taunted them a second time!

What tickled me is that even the French people sounded English unless they were speaking in French...

Onto Branaugh's Hamlet which I have seen before and liked - Hey! Is Hamlet a chick flick? I know Romeo and Juliet has GOT to be a chick flick - but then again, I can't stand Romeo and Juliet...

Strange Brew? It had a touching scene where one brother was sort semi temporarily left behind and he looked like he was gonna cry...
I still feel a bit nauseated when I think about that movie - when they poured beer into a dog's dirty food dish, and then poured the lumpy mess back into a glass and drank it when they ran out of beer. Maybe that is not exact, but it is how I remember it.

My favorite Wallace and Gromit bit is when all the mice whip their sunglasses on at the same time when the rocket ship takes off for the moon.

And then there is the evil penguin.

I was kinda disappointed in the Chicken Run movie because I missed the very dry humor and sarcasm.

Oooh, unexpected thrill of joy!

I was perusing the SF Chronicle's 'Pink Section'---the hunk of stuff about entertainment, movies, music, theater, etc in the Sunday edition----and I innocently turned the page to see

CLAY!

looking at me with that sideways smirky, come-hither look! Gah. It's one of the pics from his OMWH cd photo shoot...and with the beeyooteeful photo were two letters to the editor thanking him for that interview that Aidin Vaziri had with Clay back on May 4 May 4 SF Chronicle Clay Interview

Very cool. There were two letters published Letters Loving Clay

No snide commentary before or after the letters, so I'm happy. :imgtongue:

Went shopping with hubby today FOR hubby. There's a store here going out of business and we scooped up some shirts and pants for him. Then went elsewhere for undies and shoes...It's so interesting shopping with him because it's such a different experience from shopping with my daughters or by myself. He sees something, says' "I like that...find an XL" and after a few minutes of that kind of thing, he's in line to pay for his new stuff.

I don't get that. :blink::huh:

Where's the angst? The life-or-death decision about color or fabric? The worry whether it makes you look fat? What is WRONG with the man? :8:

Gosh....Third quilting instructor checking in.....though it's been over 5 years since I taught anybody anything. But it was one of the most rewarding things I have ever done, beginning sometime in the early 90's and continuing for about 10 years. I once had the basement of my house finished to use as space for classes....I spent a lot of time down there in my warren with my stash all arranged by size and color on shelves. Then we were transfered. *Sigh*.Most of the stash went into rubbermaids in the new city and I worked at a quilt shop and did my classes there. I hate to say it but I haven't picked up a between in a few years....BUT....you guys and your wonderful creations are inspiring me to start again. Even though I haven't touched a project since.....oh.....late 2003, I did ship several rubbermaids of choice pieces of cotton, 2 queen size batts, 10 meters of muslin, one sewing machine, a cutting board, 2 rotary cutters with extra blades blades, 12 quilt books, 23 magazines, 4 pigma pens, 2 pair of gingher scissors, my applique scissors, my applique iron, freezer paper, 8 sheets of heat resistant mylar, an assortment of threads, a package of #12 betweens, various and sundry other things that HAD to come with me, 6 UFO's.......and......my best friend in the whole wide world . Too bad all of this stuff is somewhere in Iran. No sign of that truck yet.

Anyway, I don't have any digital pix of any of my quilts since when I was quilting, I didn't own a digital camera. I have one wall hanging with me here in Baku. I put it in my suitcase and brought it with me in March. I'll go find it and take a photo of it tomorrow......er ......later today.

And I, too, am a lover of the word baby, in all its incarnations....bay-bay, bay-bee, and my mostest favorite....bay-beh.

:013085001176249046: And I cannot lie.......

That's eerie - I was looking up the Battle of Agincourt last night. Don't remember why. Anyway, here's what a typical site had to say:

Contemporary estimates of French losses range from 4 to 11,000 while more modern scholars estimate 7-10,000. In addition, 1500-1600 prisoners, all nobility, were taken to England as prisoners. Many of these, unable to pay the demanded ransom, never returned. This resulted in the loss of nearly half of the French nobility and the French king's support base. Most came from the northern provinces where the French recruited most of their military. The highest estimate of English losses, however, is 500 with more reliable sources estimating closer to 100.

Not a bad day's work, Harry.

Kareneh, you were here for 3 years and we didn't do anything, not even go to the IQF together? And you had all your quilting things with you? .... well, ok, you did talk me into the Iowa and Kansas City JNT05's one month after you moved here (keepingfaith, I know this'll get you. We had to skip Macca's show for the KC JNT, but what could I say, Kareneh was persuasive!), and there was the ATDW launch at GMA and Waukegan06 and multiple DCATS and Waukegan again and Spam. Gosh, I really miss you! Can't wait to see you on the 12th!!!

All the "Baby" variations just kill me too!!!

*waves to artquest on top* How have you been?!!

Bottle, which show was that from? Thanks for bringing that over. ROTFL!

ETA: :thbighug-1:

Awww, annabear !! Thanks for the hugs and what a pretty quilt you have!!! Tell you what, I'll either help with the knitting or find someone who can if you'll help me stumble my way through all these terms that everyone's been posting -- what's a rotary cutter? betweens? If only we had a claytonic for quilting!

Still not caught up, even with brief pop in's throughout the weekend! Finished today with a mini cooking marathon so that I now have lots of tasty & healthy options in my freezer for dinner and all kinds of fresh fruits & veggies washed & ready to take for lunch this week. I will get back to eating healthier even if kills me!

:bday: Fear!

Hope you've had a wonderful day! It was so nice meeting you - and so many other FCA'ers - in NYC at the Spam finale!

Quilts!! Everybody's are so beautiful!! I have a quilted wall hanging that I made a couple years ago in the (old) colors of TBAF and incorporated quotes from Clay about inlcusion & children that I printed on fabric. I don't think I have a pic of it... Love picture quilts & have done some for family - another form of scrapbooking, which I also love to do!

Here's an ongoing project - a quilt I'm making for myself, which means it will never get done! :cryingwlaughter: It's a Log Cabin, but with "geese" added and then put together to form an argyle pattern:

DSC00140.jpgDSC00139.jpg

Yes & I've got quite a few of those patterns! They're great to have on hand to whip up quick, handmade gifts.

I realize I should have said something more like, "someday I hope to make those" instead of being so bold. Sorry about that Iseeme. Your quilts are very beautiful but I had no idea how much talent, time, effort and experience went into them. I guess it was like a non-knitter pointing to a Fair Isle sweater and saying, "I want that for my next project!" *ashamed* :wub:

<snip> I guess they could recommend a good instructor but I'm suddenly thinking, maybe I should stick to knitting, spinning and dyeing.

Aww, {{Scarlett}}, I hear you. I'm feeling this way about knitting right now! I took a class, but I think I need to knit on a regular basis with someone who actually knows what the heck they're doing so that I can figure out how to fix the many mistakes I repeatedly make! :blush: For now, I've put my yarn & needles aside to focus on some bears for the SSS sale in the fall. I'm also working on another Sir Robin (white tux this time!) bear. :)

ETA: Hee, bottle! :lol: Asheville... good times... *happy sigh*

ETA2: Rotary cutters, Scarlett, are a quick & easy way to cut your fabric strips, squares, etc. "Betweens" are the needles used for hand quilting.