#41: Clay Aiken Makes His Triumphant Return!

Couch Tomato

Thread Title  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What say ye - what's our new thread title?

• Life is short! Enjoy the Aiken!
    • We're still having fun, and you're still the one!
    • I hope he's just out there sinning right and left.
    • Yes, I will eat fish with blueberries or anything else he's touched.
    • Anarcho-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync omnivores for Clay Aiken
    • I am not going anywhere except to Spamalot.

Cotton, Cotton...tsk, tsk.

Anything and everything about one Clay Aiken is simply the most important thing ever to some people...that 6 sentence conversation clearly was the pinnacle of her existence...heh.

It tickles me that he's so fascinating to so many...

I've been in meetings all morning and hadn't had a chance to see the scans, so thanks :F_05BL17blowkiss: to ldyj for sending them to me.

:wub:

That is all.

I love Clay.

I can't bear the thought of his crying.

God, no wonder we didn't hear much from him after the baby was born. He must have been frantic when Parker was sick.

I'm all alone... Am I the only one whose friends and co-workers don't seem to know or care? All I keep getting asked is if I got my power/Internet back and that is so last week. Hmmph!

NE Houston is more openminded than I thought...

Cotton, yes there shouldn't have been a question nor any concerns about it but that's not how the world is right now. I am so sad to think about what growing up and knowing and not being able to talk about it nor feel accepted must have been like.

How many times can I post that I ::heart:: him? :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Now that I've pulled myself together and gotten over being all schmoopie, I have to say that I thought that was a very good, balanced, unbiased article and that Clay was treated with great respect.

I'm so happy about that.

I'm also happy that (most of) his fans have been so loving, open, and supportive. It must give Clay so much comfort--only fair since he's given us so much joy.

I must just add that I think it's probably not fair to suggest that Clay's friends "lied." In the first place. they probably didn't know. It's not as though he came with a label--and unless Clay came out, it would be completely inappropriate for a friend to "out" him. So, if that's a lie, then it's a very white one, and I think forgivable. (Right up there with my friend telling me, "Oh, yes, you look much thinner since you've lost those 3 pounds.")

Now that I've pulled myself together and gotten over being all schmoopie, I have to say that I thought that was a very good, balanced, unbiased article and that Clay was treated with great respect.

I'm so happy about that.

I'm also happy that (most of) his fans have been so loving, open, and supportive. It must give Clay so much comfort--only fair since he's given us so much joy.

I must just add that I think it's probably not fair to suggest that Clay's friends "lied." In the first place. they probably didn't know. It's not as though he came with a label--and unless Clay came out, it would be completely inappropriate for a friend to "out" him. So, if that's a lie, then it's a very white one, and I think forgivable. (Right up there with my friend telling me, "Oh, yes, you look much thinner since you've lost those 3 pounds.")

wandacleo wrote a book. hee

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

I am just not comfortable with combining this announcement with the baby pictures. For some reason, it really sits wrong with me. And I hope this is not the offical promtion phase II. I will work through this, but right now it annoys me for reasons I don't exactly have a handle on beyond doing it in the wrong order as defined by myself.

I am on Parker's side on this and if there were another way I would have wished that he didn't have to be on People's magazine at all but there was no chance for his pictures not to get passed around to the entire country anyway. This at least gives Clay control on the accuracy / authenticity of the pictures getting shared and on the story that goes with them. I wish every child could grow up unencumbered by who their parents are, but sadly in our world today he will be known as Clay's son for a long time. Hopefully, he won't mind this about this when he grows up.

ETA:

About NE Houston is more openminded than I thought... ok, maybe just my side or circle of NE Houston.

{{{00lsee}}}, listen to the voices that matter.

I've had one email about this. A young woman I worked with whom I had a 6 sentence conversation about him once. I don't understand why she felt the need to email me with a link to the story. I think it's only the second email I've gotten from her. It's just odd.

ETA:

I also never understood why some people, when they learned I was a fan, felt that had to say to me, "Oh, Cotton. He's gay!" or "He's so Gay."

I mean, really. Why did they feel the need to - and they were - cast aspersions on someone I obviously liked??!!

I agree with your whole post, Cotton, but the bolded part is SOOO my reality. My husband has a co-worker who has repeatedly emailed him rumors about Clay because he knows I am a fan and apparently enjoys ribbing my husband about this. And, apparently, my husband wants me to know he gets ribbed because of me, because he always forwards those emails to ME.

So, I am just WAITING for Mr. Boorish to email Mr. Insensitive...who will then most likely email me, to his detriment. LOL

No, really. Pain. heh

Maybe one or both of them will be classy, but I ain't holding my breath, in spite of my recent vow to think more positively (waves to merrieeee). :)

{{{For those struggling with this news.}}}

I said last night that it was great to be over at the OFC and see so much love and support for Clay. One thing that seems to be a pretty common theme for is the mention of processing and confusion, but that people still feel for Clay in their hearts like they always have. IMO, that speaks volumes more than any article or interview or post on a message board...

If your heart is saying that he's still the guy with the voice you love like no other, the guy whose philanthropic efforts you admire, the guy with the sense of humor that makes you laugh, the guy who brought you together with friends you would otherwise have never met... then it's simple - listen to your heart.

Oh I don't know if he ever said I'm a born again Christian but I certainly understood that to be the case.

And shout out to Kim for keeping his secrets. Yeah they had a falling out. I've had falling outs with my friends and I hope they have already patched things up. And I hope she is the first one to pick up the phone and give him a virtual hug.

Jenna..I love you and have really missed your wise words around here. And someone so young, and gorgeous, and skinny. I should be hatin' :cryingwlaughter:

I think clay is a born again Christian as he gave a testimony as one in his book, he gave the plan of salvation. I am also a born again Christian who attends a fundamentalist baptist church and it would not be understood that I am a fan of a gay singer. I think that I always thought he was gay but wouldn't admit to it until he said it himself. I had mixed feelings when I heard this news. Even if it's against my beliefs and I don't understand homosexuality, I take it as if he were one of my sons and I would accept it, not understand it though,but still be there for him. I have some fellow workers that are gay and am very confortable with them. So, even though, my family may give me a hard time about it, I've decided to stick with Clay, go to NYC as planned in January. I hope the best for him. I think the article was done with taste and respect. I can't wait to see the interviews on GMA. I feel for him and his family during this time. The baby is just so cute.

Clay being gay does not make any difference to me. I used to correct people when they said he was gay because I took him at his word when he self identified. After the way that Parker was conceived, I stopped doing that and when people who knew that I am a big fan would ask me if he was gay, I started answering "I don't know, and I don't care." What difference does it make? In my mind, I felt that he had to be gay to father a child in this manner. But I still was not sure.

It’s interesting how these things go. Literally late last week I had someone inform me that he was gay. My response? Does that affect his voice? No, of course not. My next question was: “why do you CARE?” Unfortunately, this person is a CHRISTIAN and believes that Clay will be going to hell and had no problem telling me so. When that revelation comes out I walk away before I get into a fist fight.

I got away from outright correcting people a long time ago, because I honestly believe that the question itself is irrelevant – it’s how you respond to the idea or fact. Do you express your feelings in a hateful way? That’s what I’m going to comment on – not the yes or no of it.

LaJeterfan no doubt you are not the only one struggling. Thanks for having the courage to speak up. I thought your post was very respectful earlier. And really that's all we ask.

Amen. You were fine and you will be fine.

Hee! I have a feeling there's going to be a ton of tired members of the Clay Nation dragging themselves into work today...

:chores015: <= me.

And I forgot to set my damn alarm.

Jaymes? This makes her even more impressive in my eyes. She obviously loves Clay very, very much and is a part of his immediate family. She risked her life to have a baby with the man! Clay being gay changes very little about my thoughts about their relationship. Sex is just sex – you can’t beat a deep and abiding love. They are both very lucky.

So, I am just WAITING for Mr. Boorish to email Mr. Insensitive...who will then most likely email me, to his detriment. LOL

No, really. Pain. heh

Maybe one or both of them will be classy, but I ain't holding my breath, in spite of my recent vow to think more positively (waves to merrieeee). :)

I made a pre-emptive strike this morning.

I emailed the scans to 5 people with the subject heading - "In case you area afraid to talk to me . . .", and in the body:

"Yes. I've heard the news.

No. It doesn't matter.

Still a fan.

I think he's a brave, brave man who has chosen love and life.

And Parker is a cutie."

Then the links to the scans.

With celebrities, I tend to think it's better that they make arrangements with a magazine to display pictures of their children. Keeping them completely from view only encourages the paparazzi to become more aggressive in trying to get the first "exclusive" photos. With this article, Clay can control the environment in which the photos are taken. True, it would be best if the press would leave all celebrity children alone. However, the reality is that people are interested. This way seems less dangerous to me. JMO.

Jaymes? This makes her even more impressive in my eyes. She obviously loves Clay very, very much and is a part of his immediate family. She risked her life to have a baby with the man! Clay being gay changes very little about my thoughts about their relationship. Sex is just sex – you can’t beat a deep and abiding love. They are both very lucky.

Agreed. And this cannot have been easy for her. I would not be surprised if people in her circle or in the industry have judged her for having a child with Clay. But she did it, for herself, I think, as much as for Clay. Their relationship must be very unique, and very special.

If Clay's friends said he was straight, I can't blame them, even if they knew he wasn't. They probably felt they were protecting him. I think a lot of us have told lies to protect other people. I would have had less respect for them if they hadn't.

Oh I don't know if he ever said I'm a born again Christian but I certainly understood that to be the case.

And shout out to Kim for keeping his secrets. Yeah they had a falling out. I've had falling outs with my friends and I hope they have already patched things up. And I hope she is the first one to pick up the phone and give him a virtual hug.

Jenna..I love you and have really missed your wise words around here. And someone so young, and gorgeous, and skinny. I should be hatin' :cryingwlaughter:

I think clay is a born again Christian as he gave a testimony as one in his book, he gave the plan of salvation. I am also a born again Christian who attends a fundamentalist baptist church and it would not be understood that I am a fan of a gay singer. I think that I always thought he was gay but wouldn't admit to it until he said it himself. I had mixed feelings when I heard this news. Even if it's against my beliefs and I don't understand homosexuality, I take it as if he were one of my sons and I would accept it, not understand it though,but still be there for him. I have some fellow workers that are gay and am very confortable with them. So, even though, my family may give me a hard time about it, I've decided to stick with Clay, go to NYC as planned in January. I hope the best for him. I think the article was done with taste and respect. I can't wait to see the interviews on GMA. I feel for him and his family during this time. The baby is just so cute.

Also mean to say that if he is a christian, he will still be a brother in Christ to me. I still see him as before and his private life is just that PRIVATE. I'm glad that he has found happiness. I'm proud of the fans that have been so supportive and loving through all this, there will be so mean people out there that will put him down and it will be hard to take even for us.

It’s interesting how these things go. Literally late last week I had someone inform me that he was gay. My response? Does that affect his voice? No, of course not. My next question was: “why do you CARE?” Unfortunately, this person is a CHRISTIAN and believes that Clay will be going to hell and had no problem telling me so. When that revelation comes out I walk away before I get into a fist fight.

I'm Christian and the first time I heard this argument from another Christian was in regards to a mutual friend who is Jewish, and was also present at the time of this conversation. I was absolutely, flat-out astounded that someone could think that way. Still am. I evidently missed the addendum to the Bible where God gave handed judgment over to us.

I'm Christian and the first time I heard this argument from another Christian was in regards to a mutual friend who is Jewish, and was also present at the time of this conversation. I was absolutely, flat-out astounded that someone could think that way. Still am. I evidently missed the addendum to the Bible where God gave handed judgment over to us.

Yeah, I spent a lot of time in church as a kid and what I remember most is "judge not lest ye be judged". I used all caps in Christian to show that I don't think ALL Christians feel this way - just incase anyone was wondering.

Sex is just sex – you can’t beat a deep and abiding love. They are both very lucky.

I totally agree with that. Love is bigger than sex ... and usually lasts a lot longer when sex is not involved.

As for the religious discussion, St. Paul never married, seemed to harangue against marriage and fornication an awful lot, and traveled around with men. (I really piss off my mother with that one!) You can make a case for just about anything, and the only things worth making a case for, IMO, are kindness, tolerance, charity --- and love seems to encompass all of that. That's the world according to me. That, and the most meaningful morsel of knowledge that man can know in my estimation .... that the more we know the more we realize our ignorance. And that's all I've got. I Promise.

Yeah, I spent a lot of time in church as a kid and what I remember most is "judge not lest ye be judged". I used all caps in Christian to show that I don't think ALL Christians feel this way - just incase anyone was wondering.

one more thing I want to say is that when all this blows over, we should not have someone always saying to us, when we say that we are a fan, isn't he gay? but of course people will remember that part of his life, not see that he is a good human being, didn't want his son to live a lie, is a good humanitarian, loves children, an amazing singer, good to his fans. Of course no one is perfect, we don't seek perfection, just love him as he is. I just can't wait to see him in January! He has brought so much to my life since sept 2006.

Look, I just said it would be my preference if the orientation story came out before the baby story. It is not like I have a say or expected to have one. It would have just made it easier FOR ME to understand the baby thing, which is still kind of confusing to me. Why? I think the child would be less teased in a Hollywood school where there is more open variety of parents than is suburban Raleigh where they may be the same variety of parents, but less open about it. I just think it is a complex and odd way to raise a child. It is an opinion and not a judgement. Now my mind was opened to several possibilities with the baby story, which was way too much work for this weary brain and it would have been easier for me if the story order was different. My mind has to stretch and process new information while dealing with several different workmen, remember, I don't like change? My house is all quiet colors and subued furniture. The only odd touch is my non-clay poster collection.

Who lied: I know Kim and Ruben were asked consistantly for several years after idol about Clay, we know about Kim and I suspect Ruben would not be in the dark for long. He did know about the Baby before the paparrazzi caught and asked him about it. Kim was asked about Clay less than a year ago by PH on a TV interview fans burned her for doing. Then there was Tyra 2 years ago, but who knows what she knows, she only spends a ton of her time with gay men and could proably burt stereotypes like crazy.

I don't understand why it is such a big deal to out people, instead of letting everyone choose their own time to do what ever. I really think that since many people have struggled with this, some people would have some decency with others struggling instead of trying to make a buck with a story or using them as an example. I guess I don't want to google today. I do not think most questions celebrities and evennew people you meet are asked are approrpiate (some people I was at a bus stop withkept asking me where I worked, I demrred and they kept pressing me until I lied to shut them up - I lied because i felt they were rude, not thta it is important or meaningful) and I don't understand why so many people are fascinated by others lives when our own lives are so complicated. I think this is why I always thought I was a bad fan because I just could not get with knowing every single thing others did. I could not get into insulting his mother, as I see some are still doing today, or attacking other idols because it was a competition (well, i did have a few lapses for a while when some one was rude first and still do when someone says their idol is better because of ABC, when some of what they said is not really true, just a rumor - gotta point it out.)

I also just never got the "out of wedlock" thing and why people were upset about that - I always thought the term was for people who had sex together that resulted in a child, frequently raised by one parent, not people who had a child together. So I am still confused why people are upset about that, but maybe it has more to do with how religious your are and what religion.

See, there is a lot of processing going on. I think I will take a quiet walk on the beach before I pack to go home. No cell phone, just me without the dog, thinking about erosion, rising water levels and other world wide ecological problems, but not the presidntial election, I am not strong enough for that right now.

one more thing I want to say is that when all this blows over, we should not have someone always saying to us, when we say that we are a fan, isn't he gay? but of course people will remember that part of his life, not see that he is a good human being, didn't want his son to live a lie, is a good humanitarian, loves children, an amazing singer, good to his fans. Of course no one is perfect, we don't seek perfection, just love him as he is. I just can't wait to see him in January! He has brought so much to my life since sept 2006.

I can see how people judge so quickly, I could be judged in my own church for being a clayfan. I am even misunderstood in my own family. I'm so glad that I've made friends who are his fans, we can understand each other so well even if we have differences of opinion about different things. My comments about christianity were not to judge clay or anyone, I hope I did not offend anyone, I just understand some of the struggles that he may have had with all this being from a same background church wise I mean.

So I called my sister to talk to her about some vacation plans end of next month and I asked her did she get the email I had just sent talking about it and also a link to the scans. But apparantly she just got around to reading another email I sent weeks ago. Cuz out of the blue she goes..this is what you want for Christmas? I'm like Huh? Carmines? BWAH..yes. Thankyouverymuch. Family is good.

did some googling and honestly people are more supportive of Clay for this story than most. Yeah there is some D101 but who cares. And only a few of the sites seem to be trolling clay fan boards for reaction. I guess for the most part it's supportive and of course they do post some of the more upset posts. All in all, I bet Clay is feeling very light this morning. Good for him.

Play we understand what you were saying. And honestly you'll deal with things in your own way and own good time.

Cotton, I love your "pre-emptive strike" strategy.

preden, no offense taken. I am glad you are here.

I love seeing fans post who haven't been around the boards for a long time. This news seems to be bringing the Claynation together, and to me, that's wonderful! I've been popping over the OFC every once in a while, and it's still very positive. A few fans leaving, but only a handful, and pretty respectfully. I continue to be pleasantly surprised with the overwhelmingly positive reactions here, there, and everywhere.

My daughter stopped by my office at lunch to pick up print outs of the People magazine scans from me. She is just gaga over the baby pictures. She is determined to get herself to Spam again in October, now more than ever.

How I feel about the "he lied to us" thing is that no one actually had a right to ask the question. Clay did request that we not respond to that stuff, he did not ask us to defend him.

Honestly, if almost anyone in the universe asked me about my sex life, I would quite cheerfully lie to them. They would deserve it, and I would be quite unrepentant.

play, I do think the timing is perhaps awkward, but then again - ya can't really know when a baby will actually arrive, and also it really was best to wait until Parker was here and all was well, I think. Thinking about other things, maybe timing this to occur when Clay is back in a warm and successful working environment is a great idea, too. If he had done this when OMWH was released, poor sales would perhaps have been blamed on it, and affected his decisions about staying in the entertainment business, maybe.

Yep, I agree with my bolded above. And if he lied to us when he said he wasn't gay -- in I think Rolling Stones -- I feel that's understandable. Most people would. It's his private business. His public business is to sing and to tell us what he wants us to know. Unfortunately the tabs -- written and TV -- have set out to indoctornated everyone that it's our God given right to know, and judge, every little detail of a celebrity's life.

It was hard for everyone, I think, to process the news from last night. For some it was even harder than learning he was having a baby out of wedlock with Jaymes. I think I might have been in the latter camp, mostly because of the horrible way a lot of fans posted. It made me feel bad and pretty much kept me from reading the boards (OFC, and CB) for awhile. But as with all the other crises surrounding Clay, this too shall pass.