#41: Clay Aiken Makes His Triumphant Return!

Couch Tomato

Thread Title  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What say ye - what's our new thread title?

• Life is short! Enjoy the Aiken!
    • We're still having fun, and you're still the one!
    • I hope he's just out there sinning right and left.
    • Yes, I will eat fish with blueberries or anything else he's touched.
    • Anarcho-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync omnivores for Clay Aiken
    • I am not going anywhere except to Spamalot.

A handsome intriguing man is a handsome intriguing man - except perhaps to those who actually thought they had a shot, I suppose.

And I love Jimmy Kimmel - exactly the right tone to set, especially for those who let late-night comics influence their views.

WORD djs!!!

ETA: Is it allowed to bring his OFC post over here? Or can someone let me know the gist of it?

(Oh, and I love the loyalty his friends have shown over the years. He chooses his friends well.)

Me, too, rohdy...and I also wonder about those friends from his college and YMCA years who, early on during AI, were posting on message boards and who talked about Clay's relationships with girls and adamantly declared that Clay was NOT gay...I wonder if they knew then and were just trying to 'defend' him (since he was now under public scrutiny) or if they really didn't know because Clay hadn't come out in his private life yet.

:blink: BWAH! I'm laughing at myself because I want to see Clay Thursday morning with Diane suddenly take out a huge chart, stand up and with his pointer (heh) go over the whole damned timeline of his coming out process! :cryingwlaughter:

"And at this time" (He points to October of 2004) "Two people knew. Here...(He slides the pointer to November) "I knew I had to tell ______ and __________. Of course, it wasn't until this month...that I told _____ and ______."

I'm such a dork. :rolleyes:

That is one lucky baby. What a wonderful life guide he has. :wub:

Sooooo... anything happen while I was off-line yesterday??? :whistling-1:

Whoa!! It was an interesting place to be last night, and that's for sure. As for Clay? He was fabulous on-stage, and looked happy during curtain/call finale. We did go to the stage door - soon as we saw the scumbags paparazzi, we figured there would be no stage door. But then Jerome came out and said yes he would be out... then twenty minutes later the other SD guy came out and said 'sorry folks'. If Jerome came back again, we missed it as we had to catch our bus back to the hotel. Totally understand Clay not doing it - to tell the truth we were rather dreading what they would be shouting at him - didn't seem like the time or place for inquistion. Side note: there were two rather infamous 'fans' there and it was rather sickening ironic to hear them spouting people 'hurting' Clay. Oh Ron, whereart thou?

The show? was terrific. I know people love this new king - me? I miss Jonathon. Rick and Tom were brilliant as always. New LOTL has a wonderful voice, but none of Hannah's presence or gift for comedy. She takes herself rather more seriously in the role (IMO of course). 'I got a brother who's a guard' was back in last night, but sadly, no if if umm.. I MISS the if if umm! Gah -I wish I could show you a pic of him as drunken guard though - he had his wig/helmut on so that his ears were sticking straight out - and I mean straight out. OMG it was hilarious. It had to be intentional I think - omg.

I don't have much time to catch up, but just speed reading through - I'm very happy to be among the folks here at FCA. I love Clay - maybe even more than ever - how does he keep doing that? This had to be an incredibly tough decision for him, and I am once again awed by his courage and humbled by his grace. He is quite simply, awesome. I was very glad to be able to be in the audience for him last night, and I think tonight will be even moreso.

I love him. And I mean it!

Sneaking in while on an online conference call... (if anyone suddenly goes.. So Scarlett what do you think of that point? I'm lost!!!)

Gah -I wish I could show you a pic of him as drunken guard though - he had his wig/helmut on so that his ears were sticking straight out - and I mean straight out. OMG it was hilarious. It had to be intentional I think - omg.

Yes it must have been intentional since he was already doing it with his right ear for the 2 shows last Sunday. Is he now making both ears stick out? Hee!

Thanks for the report, cindilu2! :thankyou:

Wanda, I want to go back to NYC too. Wonder when he'll start doing the stage door again? ...Yes yes, the "doing" reference was intentional.

Good Morning Everyone,

Woke up about 2 this morning and decided to check the boards and saw that Clay had posted...we are truly blessed to have him in our lives.

Then I saw the GMA promo; he is the Daddy I imagined him to be and I cannot wait until the interview.

3 Days until Clay is Partying with Paula! :yahoo:

24 Days until The BAF Gala!

:yahoo:

30 Days until Clay is Roasting Matt Lauer! :yahoo:

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

Scarlett..."Doing" the stage door?

Wouldn't that really, you know, hurt? :unsure: Splinters and whatnot...

Why would wood on wood hurt? LOL!

At some point today or this week someone's going to ask, couldn't he have just said this from the start and saved himself and others a lot of concerns? Let me get ahead of that and say... Having seen my kids through the school system and knowing my friends and neighbors I'd say that that is far, far easier to think about that to actually do.

It would have been the social equivalent of my "dating" Iseeme in front of my friends and you know how that turned out.

I wish I could remember which actor it was - but a few years ago an interviewer asked him about his new baby and he said he just loved him that they are "so smooshie" at that age.

Little Parker is beautiful. And looks so "smooshie", I just wish I could hold him. I can't get over Clay's big paws wrapping around that little thing. And his shoulders - GAH - in the bottle feeding video.

I hope Clay gets some sleep today. I have a feeling this will be an exhausting couple of weeks.

And - where is Jaymes in all this? It bothers me a little that she seems to be so missing from the picture. Maybe it won't seem like that after the interview.

Am I the only one feeling like that?

(Oh, and I love the loyalty his friends have shown over the years. He chooses his friends well.)

Me, too, rohdy...and I also wonder about those friends from his college and YMCA years who, early on during AI, were posting on message boards and who talked about Clay's relationships with girls and adamantly declared that Clay was NOT gay...I wonder if they knew then and were just trying to 'defend' him (since he was now under public scrutiny) or if they really didn't know because Clay hadn't come out in his private life yet.

I'm bettin' Clay was still fighting with himself back then. I often get the feeling that a lot of the people around him (family) and even the church he was raised in, viewed everything in black and white. Making it very hard to cross that line and come to terms with what life has handed him.

As for his family and church.......children of all ages, have a way of teaching things you never wanted to know, hopefully they are learning tolerance.

And hopefully Clay is learning we love him, just the way he is.

I'm not because she is clearly one of the people he is closest to in the world. She is his family. I think he mentioned her name first yesterday among his family. She must love him a whole bunch to do what she did for him and I'm sure herself. It tells me whole hell of a lot about her. So the details of their relationship are a little more clear. Perhaps how they will raise Parker isn't and maybe even after today we still won't know. But I have a huge soft spot in my heart for her today.

I know it's weird, Couchie. I know that he is the one in the spotlight and she seems to be very much a behind the scenes person. I don't mean she should be speaking up, so much. I don't know. It just feels uncomfortable that this baby's mother seems like a footnote in any articles, etc.

I'm conflicted. I guess I wanted to see a picture of her holding and loving little Parker, too? I'm finding it hard to express.

And - where is Jaymes in all this? It bothers me a little that she seems to be so missing from the picture. Maybe it won't seem like that after the interview.

Am I the only one feeling like that?

Oh, I was actually thinking along those lines - it is like she has been turned into a Clay Aiken Accessory or something - but really, perhaps at this point it is all going to be about Clay anyway, for a while, and she is likely just tending to her son and being supportive.

And just not wanting to be in the public eye. Let this die down. Most likely that was the plan, I would think.

If I was her, I would steer clear of the fan board stuff, anyway - how insulting to feel people are relieved that it is not a romantic relationship. From people who prolly don't have one themselves, IMO and all that.

Just not letting the judgement stuff darken her world.

Ugh - I imagine Faye will be hounded or speculated about now, too.

From the People article - I can't believe anyone would be so tasteless and crass, and ignorant, as to ask if Clay thinks Parker will be gay.

But that is the impression I got, that he was asked.

Who knows? Maybe Clay wants to keep her out of the spotlight to protect her. Or maybe she'll be on GMA with him. We really don't know anything yet.

As for coming out, I was just having this conversation with my son this morning, who was wondering how to deal with the kids at school, and why Clay didn't just come out after AI2. I explained to him that coming out is a process, and it's different for everyone. Some people are comfortable coming out all at once, and announcing it to the world proudly! Others live their life in the closet. Many (like me) take years and years. Each person I tell is another piece of the puzzle for me to complete. Sometimes the ones who I think are going to take it ok are the ones who don't, and vica versa. I'm still not all the way there yet, either. I don't know that I would have the guts to do it the way Clay did, on the cover of freaking People magazine! I can't even imagine how difficult this must have been for him. I am so proud of him. :wub:

DJS honestly I'm feeling good about Clay Nation. Everybody is going to deal with things how they deal with them. To me it's like a brand new beginning and the important thing now is what happens next, you know?

I didn't get that impression that he was asked the question about Parker. We'll know soon enough.

Lucky thanks for sharing.

Oh well she is a footnote in that Clay is the famous person. But really, if she wanted a peice of the spotlight or for the world to get to know her she has that opportunity. She just might not want that at all. I know I wouldn't. She seems like a strong, secure, capable woman and the lucky woman has a gorgeous baby and probably something more that she never could have anticipated.

Promo in Photobucket from butterflyshine via Gerwishp:

th_092308_gmacommercial_gerwhisp.jpg

ETA: And the Today Show just mentioned this story.

He's wearing his glasses???? Now THAT is something that upsets me! <I kid! Kind of...>

Across the crawl at the bottom of the screen all morning it kept saying "After years of denying it, singer Clay Aiken admits he is gay", or something like that.

Still a bit surreal....

I cannot WAIT for Thursday morning! And what's this I'm reading about People getting the issue out TODAY instead of later? Huh? OOOOH! If so, guess what I'll be reading on the plane today? :whistling-1:

Aren't you glad you will be on the east coast?

:blink: BWAH! I'm laughing at myself because I want to see Clay Thursday morning with Diane suddenly take out a huge chart, stand up and with his pointer (heh) go over the whole damned timeline of his coming out process! :cryingwlaughter:

"And at this time" (He points to October of 2004) "Two people knew. Here...(He slides the pointer to November) "I knew I had to tell ______ and __________. Of course, it wasn't until this month...that I told _____ and ______."

I'm such a dork. :rolleyes:

Hee! I wold appreciate that if he did because I am curious as to the exact time line of everything! He doesn't have to tell - I know. I am just curious....

I was a little surprised in the People teaser that he told his mother 4 years ago. Makes me wonder if he told anyone else. Makes me wonder about the whole JP thing. Makes me wonder why he didn't tell us for so long........

I do love him and I am proud of him and I hope now he can just be happy, but I can't help but wonder these things.....

I also can't help that I have to get out of here and get to work! Shit! If I don't get a move on I will be late.

Not that that is anything new.......... :whistling-1:

DJS honestly I'm feeling good about Clay Nation. Everybody is going to deal with things how they deal with them. To me it's like a brand new beginning and the important thing now is what happens next, you know?

Couchie, I know you are right, I just prolly feel protective.

It will certainly be an interesting time, now!

The news is on the CNN crawl as well.

Amazing the things that are considered news these days. I mean, it's CNN, fercryinoutloud.

"American Idol Alum admits he's gay in People interview"

You know I hate that word, "admits", like he committed a crime or something.

You think we've come a long way since heartthrob Rock Hudson's day. We just haven't. In some ways, I think it's worse.

I'm not because she is clearly one of the people he is closest to in the world. She is his family. I
think he mentioned her name first yesterday among his family.
She must love him a whole bunch to do what she did for him and I'm sure herself. It tells me whole hell of a lot about her. So the details of their relationship are a little more clear. Perhaps how they will raise Parker isn't and maybe even after today we still won't know. But I have a huge soft spot in my heart for her today.

Yes, I noticed that too, that she was named second only to Parker. Then his mom and Brett, and we all know how important they are to him.

I am not surprised that Jaymes is in the background... because she's not the celebrity. The GP (general public) don't really know her. When I first heard her being mentioned in terms of Clay, I did a search on Wikipedia and only found her name in relation to Clay, she doesn't have her own Wikipedia entry. With rare exceptions, most music producers are not known outside the industry.

However, with her maturity, life and industry experience, I daresay she is the best person Clay can have in his corner in all of this. If he ever finds a truer friend, it will be a miracle. (That's IMO of course, based on what I believe with a given set of facts)

ETA:

The news is on the CNN crawl as well.

Amazing the things that are considered news these days. I mean, it's CNN, fercryinoutloud.

"American Idol Alum admits he's gay in People interview"

You think we've come a long way since heartthrob Rock Hudson's day. We just haven't.
In some ways, I think it's worse.

Cotton, the media sux. Always did, always will. In fact, it is probably worse because during Rock Hudson's day, those actors were protected by the studios, and the media was limited and largely controlled by a handful of very powerful people. These days and with the internet where ANYONE can blog and create their own piece of media-like cr*p, it takes a split-second for anyone in the 'news' business to jump on the bandwagon for their slice of the meat.

You think we've come a long way since heartthrob Rock Hudson's day. We just haven't. In some ways, I think it's worse.

Yeah, that, cotton. It seems like people think that just because it is easier to gather and disseminate (well, spew, really) information, they are entitled to it.

pats lajeterfan fondly...

Chick, you're cool.

So far, I've had three weird acknowledgements, my best friend and my BIL called me in the middle of the night to offer "condolences" and I got one more "condolences" at the office...as if I would let a little thing like being attracted to the other gender stop me...I had to explain that you know the dude's not like, dead.

kf, I also believe the pool fighting for front row seats is not getting larger...but I think the serious psychos will just wander away. Heh. And the newbies will be starting at a severe disadvantage compared to us...those five years of experience kick ass!

Jaymes, who seems to have been a fairly private person her entire life, seems to be managing to stay a fairly private person. Good for her!

Crap, I miss everything! His post.....People online....the GMA thing....IT won't play either!! Probably overwhelmed, hopefully it'll work later.

I hate having to work for food at moments like this.

But I LOVE Clay. :wub:

Obviously my requests are falling on deaf ears, but I'll ask again....could anyone bring over the text of the People interview?

Gawd, it's gonna take me two weeks to catch up when I get home!

people.com

Clay Aiken: I'm a Gay Dad

Clay Aiken: I'm a Gay Dad

By David Caplan

Originally posted Wednesday September 24, 2008 07:00 AM EDT

Following the Aug. 8 birth of his son Parker, singer Clay Aiken is following through on a promise he made to himself as a new dad: to publicly acknowledge that he's gay.

"It was the first decision I made as a father," Aiken, 29, tells the upcoming issue of PEOPLE, on newsstands Friday. "I cannot raise a child to lie or to hide things. I wasn't raised that way, and I'm not going to raise a child to do that."

Aiken says he expects the news may overwhelm some of his fans. "Whether it be having a child out of wedlock, or whether it be simply being a homosexual, it's going to be a lot," said Aiken, who returned to Broadway last week as Sir Robin in Monty Python's Spamalot.

He adds that he hopes his fans "know that I've never intended to lie to anybody at all. ... But if they leave, I don't want them to leave hating me."

How He Came Out to His Family

The born-again Christian singer also reveals how he told his mother Faye he's gay four years ago. After dropping off his younger brother Brett, who was being deployed to Iraq, at Camp Lejeune, "I started crying in the car," Aiken remembers. "It was dark. I was sitting there, thinking to myself. I don't know why I started thinking about it ... I just started bawling. She made me pull over the car and it just came out."

So what was his mom's reaction? "She started crying. She was obviously somewhat stunned. But she was very supportive and very comforting." Even now, Aiken admits, "She still struggles with things quite a bit, but she's come a long way."

As for his own child, Aiken tells PEOPLE that Parker – who was conceived via in vitro fertilization with his best friend, music producer Jaymes Foster – will be raised in an environment that is "accepting and allowing him to be happy."

Says Aiken: "I have no idea if he'll be gay or straight. It's not something I'll have anything to do with, or that he'll have anything to do with. It's already probably up inside the code there ... No matter what the situation you're in, if you're raised in a loving environment, that's the most important thing."

For the first photos of Parker and more of Clay's deeply candid interview about fatherhood, coming out, and his message for the Claymates, pick up the upcoming issue of PEOPLE, on newsstands Friday.