#42: We're still having fun, and you're still the one!

Couch Tomato

FCA Thread Title  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• Endlessly entertaining, never a dull moment!!
    • Clay you seriously need to go back into the closet....to find another outfit!
    • I luv him, he is the anti-cool. He is his own cool that far exceeds cool.
    • The balls may be lavander, but they're still titanium.
    • He's Clay. He's gay. And whatever. When's the next tour?
    • He's made of awesome!
    • Even more beautiful now, inside and out!
    • God, what a MAN!
    • That is a MAN.

ETA wow 20 edits for a paragraph lol

That's my girl. Own it.

:cryingwlaughter:

---

Eh. I really really don't like the song so I guess I'm too biased to comment.

bwah..me too. But I guess that song has always had a lot of mystique because clay refused to sing it.

Sorry to the Cubby fans who are in mourning today.

ETA: clarification - I don't like the song - don't care about my biases, I will always comment :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

We are regrettably missing Sarah from that Lincoln Center? thing earlier this year. Unless someone found a bootleg copy somewhere.

I don't know if we'll ever know for sure why he never sang "Touch." My guess is, like Couchie's, that it may have been the sexuality of the song more the gender specificity that bothered him, but who knows? One thing Clay has said is that he does not believe himself to be defined by his sexuality, that it is a "small facet" of who he is, which is why I hesitate to evaluate his past artistic choices through a "gay" lens. This is not to say that it was never a factor in his decisions, just that I feel uncomfortable going to that as a primary reason.

I don't expect his coming out to affect the types of songs he will sing in the future. I fully expect him to continue to sing love songs. I suspect (though he could surprise me) that he may continue to avoid overt or explicit sexual references -- not because he's gay -- but because he's Southern Baptist. It's possible that living a more open life will free him creatively, or inspire him in other ways. However, I really don't think his revelation will significantly limit him musically. It may make a CCM switch fairly unlikely, but on the whole, I think he'll get much more out of this than he'll lose.

Kimmel Kyrie. I hate that goddamed donkey.

:cryingwlaughter:

Before I head out to watch 9 years olds run around the field and pretend to play baseball - I want to also comment on some of what I was reading at OFC yesterday. That the whole cool bit at the DCAT tour had to do with Clay saying he was gay. I totally disagree. Clay came out. As defined by society - and himself - he's still a dork. He's still uncool. And he's still not going to sing the rocking songs some think he should be singing. None of that is cast in stone as people change but what in any of that has to do with I'm gay. And this is why I won't be going back to reanalyze everything. Clay's entire personality didn't change because he came out and everything in life doesn't have to do with one's sexuality.

I'm enjoying this convo and I'm glad to see all opinions. I don't want us to get bogged down in parsing words because maybe we won't say everything in the most "politically correct" way. But we know each other and as long as our hearts and minds are open that's what is important. It's all food for thought for me. I will definitely look up the lyrics to touch later.. they aren't exactly memorized :cryingwlaughter:

I don't know if we'll ever know for sure why he never sang "Touch." My guess is, like Couchie's, that it may have been the sexuality of the song more the gender specificity that bothered him, but who knows? One thing Clay has said is that he does not believe himself to be defined by his sexuality, that it is a "small facet" of who he is, which is why I hesitate to evaluate his past artistic choices through a "gay" lens. This is not to say that it was never a factor in his decisions, just that I feel uncomfortable going to that as a primary reason.

I don't expect his coming out to affect the types of songs he will sing in the future. I fully expect him to continue to sing love songs. I suspect (though he could surprise me) that he may continue to avoid overt or explicit sexual references -- not because he's gay -- but because he's Southern Baptist. It's possible that living a more open life will free him creatively, or inspire him in other ways. However, I really don't think his revelation will significantly limit him musically. It may make a CCM switch fairly unlikely, but on the whole, I think he'll get much more out of this than he'll lose.

Ah yes - this is what I'm talking about. Especially the bolded part. It's the same thing that was making me uncomfortable with the photo analysis. Viewing everything from a gay lense now.

Before I head out to watch 9 years olds run around the field and pretend to play baseball - I want to also comment on some of what I was reading at OFC yesterday. That the whole cool bit at the DCAT tour had to do with Clay saying he was gay. I totally disagree. Clay came out. As defined by society - and himself - he's still a dork. He's still uncool. And he's still not going to sing the rocking songs some think he should be singing. None of that is cast in stone as people change but what in any of that has to do with I'm gay. And this is why I won't be going back to reanalyze everything. Clay's entire personality didn't change because he came out and everything in life doesn't have to do with one's sexuality.

EXACTLY!!

I totally agree about not viewing things through a gay lens. One facet, as he said, and certainly not what defines him. I see nothing different in Clay. Yes, he has been looking joyful, nothing new there. But, I see singing as a form of self-expression, and lyrics as communicating a message. I know others think differently, but there is something about singing lyrics that don't ring true that doesn't work for me, whether they be about a sexual relationship with a woman or anything else that wouldn't fit for a given singer. If Clay started singing about partying all night (unless it's in jest), I wouldn't find that credible. The phrase "keeping it real" has merit, IMO. Love songs - absolutely. I expect them and look forward to them.

I know we've had this discussion before, and I realize that singers perform songs they might not like or relate to for whatever reason. I realize entertainment has a component of acting. I still don't see it that way. Or at least, I don't want to think of it that way.

One thing Clay has said is that he does not believe himself to be defined by his sexuality, that it is a "small facet" of who he is, which is why I hesitate to evaluate his past artistic choices through a "gay" lens. This is not to say that it was never a factor in his decisions, just that I feel uncomfortable going to that as a primary reason.

I don't expect his coming out to affect the types of songs he will sing in the I fully expect him to continue to sing love songs. I suspect (though he could surprise me) that he may continue to avoid overt or explicit sexual references -- not because he's gay -- but because he's Southern Baptist. It's possible that living a more open life will free him creatively, or inspire him in other ways. However, I really don't think his revelation will significantly limit him musically. It may make a CCM switch fairly unlikely, but on the whole, I think he'll get much more out of this than he'll lose.

I agree with Jenna in the above quotes, I don't think he will quit singing love songs and I especially hope he doesn't because I don't think anyone can sing them better.

want to also comment on some of what I was reading at OFC yesterday. That the whole cool bit at the DCAT tour had to do with Clay saying he was gay. I totally disagree. Clay came out. As defined by society - and himself - he's still a dork. He's still uncool. And he's still not going to sing the rocking songs some think he should be singing. None of that is cast in stone as people change but what in any of that has to do with I'm gay. And this is why I won't be going back to reanalyze everything. Clay's entire personality didn't change because he came out and everything in life doesn't have to do with one's sexuality.

I'm enjoying this convo and I'm glad to see all opinions. I don't want us to get bogged down in parsing words because maybe we won't say everything in the most "politically correct" way. But we know each other and as long as our hearts and minds are open that's what is important. It's all food for thought for me. I will definitely look up the lyrics to touch later.. they aren't exactly memorized :cryingwlaughter:

Couchie, I read that opinion about the not cool skit, I couldn't quite connect the dots on that one.

what photo analysis?

I do think that of course some things about Clay will be better understood now that we know he's gay and just like all things Clay I expect us to have opinions all over the map on what those things are.

Duckyvee - I do agree with you on the whole "keeping it real" thing. I've always admired Clay for doing that - when he tries to sing songs that aren't him he turns it into a comedy sketch - a la the last tour. I always disagreed with the notion that Clay was saying I can sing these songs as well as anybody else. On My Way Here is so Clay and the whole musical direction and what he loves to sing sorta got settled for me with that album. At least I feel like I have a base to see what next comes next.

It's so funny I like looking at the stage door pictures. I see some of the same familar faces but also new faces. I think that's great. I hope he's still having fun at the stage door come January.

Duckyvee - I do agree with you on the whole "keeping it real" thing. I think Clay has done that

I think he has, too. I think he always will.

heee I just edited what I wrote cuz I didn't want you to think I was thinking you were thinking differently. :cryingwlaughter: hee Glad you could see I just wanted to expound on what you were saying. And if you understand that you deserve a few cookies...

ETA God I manage to go out and get some air for a few hours and I'm still the biggest postho of the day.. off to work

Annabear

[small whiny voice] I wanna go to the gala! [/smv] :cry:

Pssst...there is an extra Gala ticket, and if I'm not mistaken, it's a seat at our table. Spur of the moment trips can be fabulous...just sayin.'

'Spur of the moment trips' have been the norm for me over the past 5 years :P and yes, they can be wonderful. Thank you! I've had an offer :F_05BL17blowkiss: that I can't refuse, only sadly, I did have to refuse... :( It stinks to have to do the responsible thing sometimes. *stomps feet & pouts*

Mmmmm..... Cookies. We can share, couchie. Shortbread? Oatmeal raisin?

peanut butter! is there any other kind? :sickyet:

Chocolate chip!!!