#42: We're still having fun, and you're still the one!

Couch Tomato

FCA Thread Title  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• Endlessly entertaining, never a dull moment!!
    • Clay you seriously need to go back into the closet....to find another outfit!
    • I luv him, he is the anti-cool. He is his own cool that far exceeds cool.
    • The balls may be lavander, but they're still titanium.
    • He's Clay. He's gay. And whatever. When's the next tour?
    • He's made of awesome!
    • Even more beautiful now, inside and out!
    • God, what a MAN!
    • That is a MAN.

Wheeeeeeeeee, the sun is out here, thank God! Just went for a walk. Think maybe today is a good day to tidy up the yard since the apple trees are making quite a mess. Then maybe work on my Clay scrapbooks. They are about 18 months out of date, time to rectify that before the next Clay related trip to the gala. I can't believe it's less than 2 weeks now! :dancingpickle:

I'm going back over those SD pictures above. Maybe it's my imagination, but I swear that I see something in Clay's whole demeanor that I haven't seen since he was on Idol. It's like an abandonment to joy or something like that. But God he's beautiful!

10-4-08Spamalot9tag.jpg

10-4-08Spamalot12tag.jpg

10-4-08Spamalot13tag.jpg

{{{{Muski}}}}

Happy Birthday, Liney! Remember -- Libras never grow old, just cuter!

keeping... I keep thinking how free he must feel now. Doesn't mean he doesn't know he may still run into "stuff" around his coming out, but he's not living a lie anymore. My goodness, how much lighter that must make him feel.

Does the comment about Libras mean you are one, too? I like the sentiment!!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I woke up this morning with a deep yearning to see the man in person! I sure hope he comes out here to California to do Kimmel as soon as his run is over so I can see him. If he's planning on touring next year, he will need to publicize it!

Akim... sorry! My brother lives in Chicago/Homewood and loves the Cubs. It hurts, I know! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

OK I just listened to Touch for the first time since the great reveal. Is the real reason he won't sing it is because it says "girl I want to be by your side etc?

My answer to that is, yes, I believe so. I think it was a part of his effort to not make a statement through his music that could be interpreted as "I Am Straight" in even a suble way. He couldn't control the song selections on MOAM, but he could control his set list in concert. That's why I think IYDKMBN wasn't on the ATDW album -- the words indicate a song to a woman. The man was striving to be as honest as possible within the context of nondisclosure.

Now I think he could sing those songs without hesitation. One of my favorite Elton John songs is Little Jeannie -- and Elton sang "I want you be my lover" without anyone caring about his orientation. A great song is a great song, unless people are looking to solve unsolved mysteries in them and then they take on an additional symbolic meaning beyond the music and lyrics. I think this totally opens up Clay's future repertoire. From what I've seen of the SD vids in the past week, he's definitely getting more touchy-feely with his female fans. Freedom is a beautiful thing - for all of us.

OK I just listened to Touch for the first time since the great reveal. Is the real reason he won't sing it is because it says "girl I want to be by your side etc?

Honestly, I tend to doubt it. If he liked the song, he could have just not said the word "girl" if it that was an issue. Besides, he has sung "girl" in other songs like "My Girl" and "Oh Girl." My guess, personally, is that he didn't like the song for broader reasons. But what do I know?

I'm convinced that Clay writes these blogs personally and without consultation with his publicist or manager -- which is one of the reasons I love him.

I agree with you Jenna. Clay Aiken has sung too many love songs for that to be true - not just those picked by management but those he picked also. I don't think he was making any statement. That song just wasn't him.. I think that "taking me in a new latin direction" probably says it more than anything. And I doubt he will throw out his cache of songs just because the song refers to a man and woman in them. He'll never be able to tour and sing any of his songs if he felt that way.

Is it just me or are you guys seeing a lot more in simple pictures than you were before?? <g> I'm sure he feels better, but I don't *see* anything different. He's still lovely, and he's been looking happy as hell since Spam started way back when. We mentioned it ALOT. I think we also project a lot of OUR feelings on to Clay and other people in the pictures - they're just an instant in time. I wouldn't make any more out of those instants than we did before.

IF he really is more touchy feely, maybe he's just grateful there's someone still there - or maybe it's just because the crowd isn't as big. I guess reading all these feelings into pictures makes me a tad squeamish. Shipping was always us projecting/speculating/fantasizing and we knew it - this seems like MORE than that, to me.

His blog was great but I bet he did have it proof read, at least by Jaymes - that doesn't mean it isn't still his thoughts. I didn't see a huge number of gramatical problems in it because I wasn't reading it for that - I bet his proof reader didn't look at it like that either (assuming that either of them give a crap about grammar to that extent <g>). Now the spelling - that pops out at me for some reason. I'm a nerd.

ETA:

Honestly, I tend to doubt it. If he liked the song, he could have just not said the word "girl" if it that was an issue. Besides, he has sung "girl" in other songs like "My Girl" and "Oh Girl." My guess, personally, is that he didn't like the song for broader reasons. But what do I know?

I totally agree with you. This goes with my comment from above about reading more into things because we have a new piece of information.

I'm convinced that Clay writes these blogs personally and without consultation with his publicist or manager -- which is one of the reasons I love him.

Did someone imply that he didn't? I absolutely think he writes them with no input from publicists or managers. But I do think he gets Jaymes or Jerome's advice. That's what friends are for. Especially on a post that he probably (and we did too) look at as "important".

hee I agree Heidi to a certain extent - I've felt Clay has had a particular happy glow since 2005 although that could have coincided with him confiding in his family and close personal friends (Or the meds LOL). But I do feel that he seems more active and chatty at the stage door. Maybe it's because I've never been up close and it looked like he just ran through though those things as quickly as possible. But I'm not even sure that's accurate since i was always 100 feet away hugging the restaurant wall.

No nobody implied that -- but I agree with Jenna and you Heidi..yes he has publicists but I totally love it that he does things at time that aren't polished and scrubbed up for public consumption and just speaks from his heart. Letting this one travel he had to know the media will get hold of it. It just seems real.

Clay sang "When a Man Loves a Woman" at Golfing for Inclusion, and that surely has to be the ultimate heterosexual song.

A proof-reader's job is to find errors, such as grammatical, spelling etc etc, not really for content. I thought he may have submitted his blog for feed-back from his publicist, if it was someone he trusted on a personal level. A professional publicist has a good feel about how to reach the masses, etc. But Clay is unique in a lot of things, and I think he tends to go with his instincts. The way he does most things works for me.

ETA If Clay seems more relaxed in a touchy/feely way, perhaps he no longer feels he has to be careful about how he "manhandles" LOL a woman in case she gets the wrong idea about his intentions! Now that he has made it clear he is gay, it is going to be a lot easier for him to be openly affectionate with women.

See, I think there's a world of difference in a song like Touch and songs like My Girl, Mandy, Rosanna, and Oh Girl (which I'm not aware that he's sung since Hometown Connection). In his professional career, I was aware that he was gender nonspecific in songs about physical love. It's always been something I've noticed. He said he personally changed the "make love to you" line in MOAM to "always love you." He refused to perform Touch -- and of all the songs he's ever sung, to me Touch is the one that is blatantly about hot sex with a woman. Singing a love song and singing a song about s-e-x are two different animals. Fortunately, he doesn't have to be so careful in crafting his musical messages any longer, at least regarding sexuality.

It's totally immaterial and just a discussion topic, but it's something I've seen as a factor in song selection. I never thought it indicated gay, just thought it indicated the stubbornness of Clay to keep his sexuality private, regardless of orientation.

I would hate a world where an artist could only produce those things that relate to his/her personal life.

Actors could only play themselves.

Artists could only paint about their lives.

Gay singers could only sing gay songs.

Idiots could only spout idiocy.

I don't think this is the reason, I would be more inclined to believe that there was a song he liked better that didn't make the album and "Touch" was used instead. I would like to add one of Wanda's famous disclalimers since I really know nothing about which I speak.

I do have a tendency to believe, that not wanting to misrepresent himself may have had a lot to do with how he chose to portray the message in his music videos.

Please come up and speak to CottonTop, cuz there's no guarantee I'll be able to pick you out without Georgie attached! hee

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

I'll introduce you :lol:....or RE-introduce you? :lol:

annabear, really cute bio.

I'll have a car and can fit three others in it and From Claygary sounds like she'll have one so maybe we'll have enough people movers for the brunch. :8:

I'll be driving home after the gala and coming back the next day.

Actually, I may or may not have a car for the weekend; I terminated the rental car I have booked, for the weekend, as I didn't see much point in paying $18 a day to park a car I wouldn't be using. But I may have to rethink that.

Gosh, I don't think so. I think the real reason is the reason he's told us. He hates it. :hysterical:

So....brunch info:

The Marriott has a restaurant at the hotel Tuscan Grille. They serve brunch from 7-11 AM on Sunday, and there is both a buffet brunch ($12-ish according to reception) and an a la carte breakfast menu.

One of the better parts is, they have a large private room at the back of the restaurant which could accomodate either 50 (at full size) or 25 people (our better bet I think). So we could actually have a room to ourselves. Now~I didn't specify the date we were looking for when asking, so it may or may not be available that day. But it's an option by the sounds of things.

Menus etc are available on the website so that you can get an idea of prices etc.

THOUGHTS?

Once again, unfortunately :( I have to work tonight and will need to leave fairly shortly...so my apologies if I can't get back to it today. But if I can get some feedback and you are interested, I'll book it tomorrow.

CONGRATS TO CLAYBELLA!!! For submitting the winning entry in the CLay's Bio Contest!!

(this isn't actually the correct bio--mistake is explained below -jmh)

logo.jpg

amd_aiken_spamalot.jpg

Here is the winning blog in Clay's contest for the best fan-written bio. It is now in the SPAMALOT Playbill.

Written by Claybella who won a backstage tour of Spamalot by Clay and two tickets to the show

Clay Aiken (Sir Robin, Guard I, Brother Maynard) was born in the waning of Elevendieth Month. In his second year he sang precociously and delighted his mother, and it was good.

Forsooth! his Choirmaster decreed: “Thou shalt not sing in the school play!” which pisseth Clay off. Blessed be the righteously indignant. The people cried “Nay! Do not lament! Journey to the Woods of Holly! Singeth for the Emperor of Recording Things!” Verily, Clay singeth and they rejoiced. But lo, the inscription said “Thou shalt not be the Idol!” Alas! Fear not! for Clay recordedeth four albums of song, and the retailers rejoiced merrily.

Hark! The Emperor of Musical Comedy said unto him: “Come thou! Singeth in the Way of the Broad!” So, it came to pass that Clay returneth to Monty Python’s Spamalot for a twiceth time. Blessed be the loud.

Go forth! Seek great knowledge at www.clayonline.com. Amen.

Hee! Very cool! But a COMPLETELY different one than the one she had at the OFC :hysterical:...not sure who's confused...maybe she submitted several different ones and wasn't sure which won.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! :dancingpickle: :04: Just found out I won a LWLHD CD on ebay while I was at work last night! Have wanted one forEVER.....eeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Um, isn't that Jemock's? Or am I just confused (which is entirely possible)? I seem to remember reading that very one somewhere, but it wasn't the one Claybella posted at the OFC. Strange.

ETA I checked and yep, that is Jemock's entry, according to her post at the CH from yesterday. Unless they are one and the same person.

EEEEEEEEEee for you FromClaygary. I bet you had to pay a bit of bucks for that. One of these days......

The Tuscan Grille sounds fine to me, but I don't think our numbers are going to be as high as 25.

Ok, I admit I can be naieve sometimes and a building has to fall on me to get the point....but are there any gay love songs out there? Sometimes if lyrics are very subtle, I don't get them. Like that song "Afternoon Delight". I thought it was about a trip to the Dairy Queen for years.

Whoever wrote that blog, I think it's really funny.

{{{Muski}}} and {{{Muskifamily}}}, so sorry for the loss of Shadow. It must be so hard for everyone, each in a different way. Also condolences to Muskimom for the impending loss of her BF.

I'm going to steal this because it's sweet:

:puppykiss:RIP Shadow :puppykiss:

I'll have a car and can fit three others in it and From Claygary sounds like she'll have one so maybe we'll have enough people movers for the brunch. :8:

I'll have a car too, but I do think the Marriott brunch sounds like the better choice.

One of the things I have felt about this fandom is that it is a Sisterhood.

Wouldn't trade this part for the world. It has made a huge and positive difference in my life.

I would hate a world where an artist could only produce those things that relate to his/her personal life.

Actors could only play themselves.

Artists could only paint about their lives.

Gay singers could only sing gay songs.

Idiots could only spout idiocy.

BWAH!!

Back from my last trip, and madly trying to catch up on all the articles as well as the boards. I decided I need to write a recap, even though it seems like ages now since I was at Spamalot. Right now what I really feel like doing is napping. :hysterical: And I need to start working ASAP. ACK!!!

So Clay should never sing songs that are gender specific again? That's kind of crazy isn't it? People can and do sing about things they haven't/don't/won't ever experience all the time. That's the same kind of stereotype that says gay people can't portray a straight character, isn't it?

Ok, I admit I can be naieve sometimes and a building has to fall on me to get the point....but are there any gay love songs out there? Sometimes if lyrics are very subtle, I don't get them. Like that song "Afternoon Delight". I thought it was about a trip to the Dairy Queen for years.

Yeah, I never got Afternoon Delight for years, either. But heck, I was only 12 or something when I first heard it! However, "gay love songs"? IMO, love is kind of universal. Other than the obvious him/her/he/she/girl/boy stuff, a love song is a love song is a love song, regardless of who is singing it and who is listening.

Um, isn't that Jemock's? Or am I just confused (which is entirely possible)? I seem to remember reading that very one somewhere, but it wasn't the one Claybella posted at the OFC. Strange.

ETA I checked and yep, that is Jemock's entry, according to her post at the CH from yesterday. Unless they are one and the same person.

EEEEEEEEEee for you FromClaygary. I bet you had to pay a bit of bucks for that. One of these days......

The Tuscan Grille sounds fine to me, but I don't think our numbers are going to be as high as 25.

SORRY! That's the one that was posted in error at the ideal idol.... it's been corrected now!!!

is this it then???

Clay Aiken was born southwest of Finland, in Raleigh, NC, a little more than 29 years ago. Although his younger years were spent belting out tunes from atop piles of Sears carpet samples, his mature teenage years saw him cast in musical theatah roles such as cowboy #2 in Oklahoma! which was met with enough success not to get him cast in his final high school production His ego thus bolstered he had more than enough incentive to audition for AI2, the outcome of which (in the prophetic #2 spot) has made him arguably the most beloved and successful contestant ever to have irritated Simon Cowell. Unicef Ambassadorship, a best selling book and multiple platinum recordings later, six or seven sold-out nationwide tours notwithstanding, and after a first very successful run in Spamalot last year, Clay is currently finding his second grail, on Broadway, right here at the Shubert. For his next project, he plans to teach a modern Torah class.

Jemock's is funeee.

KeepingFaith - thanks for explaining your distinction.

I guess if the reasons made sense to me at the time I'll just stick with them as I don't think being gay changes Clay's taste in songs. If he can sing about intimacy between a man and woman and love and every other emotion he can sing about sex especially when it's not explicit as it isn't in that song. And if it was about the sex - I think that has to do wtih Clay's "christian" thinking rather than I don't want to sing about heterosexual sex and give people the wrong idea. But for me, he just didn't like it kinda works for me. I think what he chooses to sing going foward will give me more of an idea of where his head is but like bookwhore said if there are a whole bunch of gender neutral songs out there I haven't noticed.

Clay has always wanted us to interpret songs as to how they fit our experience and I think no matter the pronoun that's what's he's always done and will continue to do.

I don't see anyone saying clay shouldn't ever...

ETA wow 20 edits for a paragraph lol

A love song is a love song. Gay love song? Straight love song? Love is love. I don't get the difference unless the pronouns are specific and they often aren't or don't need to be. The lyrics of When a Man Loves a Women are not in the first person until the end, and then they could refer to any sort of relationship. Totally different from something like Touch, IMO. I agree with KF. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Touch was too blatantly about a sexual relationship with a woman and it just didn't fit for Clay.