#42: We're still having fun, and you're still the one!

Couch Tomato

FCA Thread Title  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• Endlessly entertaining, never a dull moment!!
    • Clay you seriously need to go back into the closet....to find another outfit!
    • I luv him, he is the anti-cool. He is his own cool that far exceeds cool.
    • The balls may be lavander, but they're still titanium.
    • He's Clay. He's gay. And whatever. When's the next tour?
    • He's made of awesome!
    • Even more beautiful now, inside and out!
    • God, what a MAN!
    • That is a MAN.

'Spur of the moment trips' have been the norm for me over the past 5 years :P and yes, they can be wonderful. Thank you! I've had an offer :F_05BL17blowkiss: that I can't refuse, only sadly, I did have to refuse... :( It stinks to have to do the responsible thing sometimes. *stomps feet & pouts*

Damn, for a minute there I thought you'd given in.

Ooooh, I remember snickerdoodles. Yum.

I played "She Said Yes" today.

Clay sounded exactly the way he did pre-gay.

i detected no hint of gayness distracting from the lyrics of the song or the "realness' of it.

Was I supposed to think the song was autobiographical?

Interrupting all the cookie talk (and the "can he sing songs about girls? Why sure he can!" talk *g*) with a few pictures from this afternoon, via the CV and the CH:

sunclaya.jpg

sunclayb.jpg

sunclayc.jpg

sunclayd.jpg

sunclaye.jpg

Thank you so much for the sd pics, I just can't wait for Jan when I go to NYC. I just hope I'll be able to take pictures too and if by some miracle have a pic taken with him, I'd probably faint, lol.

QUOTE("playbiller")

And Ruben has been heard from.

Interviewed on Sickle Cell Awareness

Ruben had no particular comment about Clay Aiken coming out a couple weeks back.

“I don’t have any thoughts,” he said. “That’s Clay’s sexual preference. And that’s pretty much all I have to say.” He said he talks to Clay regularly but not about stuff like that. He also hopes to catch Clay in “Spamalot” when he’s up in New York prepping for “Ain’t Misbehavin’ “.

Rodney Ho includes Clay's blog later in the blog.

what photo analysis?

I was referring to posts like this one (by no means the only one):

THIS.........

10-4-08Spamalot12tag.jpg

is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Look at the fascinated look on the young boy's face - the one in the baseball cap behind the blonde woman. It's like he's seeing thru new eyes.

And how un-tha-rilled does that security guy look?? Someone needs to get him a chill pill or something. :)

i detected no hint of gayness distracting from the lyrics of the song or the "realness' of it.

Wanda, I took offense to your sarcastic post on a topic I raised in seriousness.

If I misinterpreted your tone, I apologize.

Wanda, I took offense to your sarcastic post on a topic I raised in seriousness.

I seriously think an artist should be free to interpret any work he chooses and that his/her sexuality should not be a consideration. If that were the case, we'd have to throw out half of Johnny Mathis's songs, all of Rock Hudson's moveies---the list goes on and on.

The example duckyvee gave to explain what she was saying had nothing to do with his sexuality and it's a position she's held long before Clay came out. People may not agree with it and that's fine. I totally understand where she's coming from and with regards to Clay it's always been one of the things I've admired about him. While many of his fans wanted him to veer all over the highway and sing songs that he doesn't even like to listen to he has continued to do things that he's comfortable doing - that he can relate to. And really, even though he has the "voice" if he tried to sing sexy back in a serious manner I wouldn't take him seriously. That's all she's saying. Clay has kept it real and we both agree he will continue to do so. And as she also said "a love song is a love song" and I haven't seen anyone here say Clay should stop singing them. Unless my reading comprehension has flown south. I've actually seen more responses to responses about Clay not being able to sing about girls than anyone actually saying so. I just think people are defending a position nobody has.

Heidi, eh, I don't think that translates into seeing everything through a gay lens. But we are all different.

Muski - no report from CG. Did she touch Clay and is she out there wandering the streets of NYC rambling to herself? And I'm getting the hint about your smilie guys. I'll add them.

ETA: and more edits - which is why I had not one word to say about Clay's blog. LOL

Lookie! I found another cute laughing guy! Oh can we keep him, huh? Please? Huh?

Kolobok_Laie_haha.gif

Soooo....got up at 6 am this SUNDAY morning :glare: to drive Carrie and me to a freakin' double header softball game. Tied first one, won the second (Heh...Carrie pitched the second :whistling-1: )...During the first game, I saw Carrie crying in the dugout. Some teammates went to hug her and then she continued with the game.

On the way home I asked her why she'd been crying. She said, "Because I dedicated that game to Shadow and I wasn't playing my positions (shortstop and then third base) well. I made some bad plays."

:blink::wub:

Lord...

So Claygasm hasn't reported in yet, re: Spamalot last night? :waiting:

Just ate the half of a burrito left over from last night.

Cold.

Gross.

I know others think differently, but there is something about singing lyrics that don't ring true that doesn't work for me, whether they be about a sexual relationship with a woman or anything else that wouldn't fit for a given singer.

I must have misunderstood this part. I thought you were suggesting Clay couldn't sing about a sexual relationship with a woman because he's gay. Did you mean a sexual relationship in general--as in man or woman?

The example duckyvee gave to explain what she was saying had nothing to do with his sexuality and it's a position she's held long before Clay came out. People may not agree with it and that's fine. I totally understand where she's coming from and with regards to Clay it's always been one of the things I've admired about him. While many of his fans wanted him to veer all over the highway and sing songs that he doesn't even like to listen to he has continued to do things that he's comfortable doing - that he can relate to. And really, even though he has the "voice" if he tried to sing sexy back in a serious manner I wouldn't take him seriously. That's all she's saying. Clay has kept it real and we both agree he will continue to do so. And as she also said "a love song is a love song" and I haven't seen anyone here say Clay should stop singing them. Unless my reading comprehension has flown south. I've actually seen more responses to responses about Clay not being able to sing about girls than anyone actually saying so. I just think people are defending a position nobody has.

Nobody may have said that he should stop singing them, but this whole conversation started because a few thought that he wouldn't sing Touch because it would mis-represent who he is (ie. gay). It's not that big of a jump to get into a conversation about what he wouldn't or would sing because of his orientation.

Heidi, eh, I don't think that translates into seeing everything through a gay lens. But we are all different.

I originally was talking about the photo analysis because it made ME uncomfortable that people were now reading all kinds of things into photos, which are just an instant in time - and not even about Clay. The viewing from a gay lense evolved from that. It wasn't quite so linear as you're making it sound.

I think of Clay the singer as a storyteller or an actor. I can enjoy music that expresses emotions not personal to me as well. Likewise movies, books and so forth. If I couldn't, I think I'd have a very limited life, given that the things that preoccupy most people (marriage, children) are not a part of my own life.

I know others think differently, but there is something about singing lyrics that don't ring true that doesn't work for me, whether they be about a sexual relationship with a woman or anything else that wouldn't fit for a given singer.

I must have misunderstood this part. I thought you were suggesting Clay couldn't sing about a sexual relationship with a woman because he's gay. Did you mean a sexual relationship in general--as in man or woman?

I wasn't suggesting what Clay could or couldn't sing. I totally respect his choice to sing what he wants. And I also respect others' feelings that what he sings doesn't have to reflect his thoughts. It's just a personal reaction to music that I have. I see singing as different from acting. When someone is acting, they are playing a character that isn't them. Of course they bring themselves to the part, but still, they're playing someone else. I personally prefer to hear people sing things that they think or feel. I know that's not a universal preference, it's just mine. If Clay, as a gay man, sang in the first person about a romantic relationship with a woman, I wouldn't find it believable, and might not enjoy it. Who knows? I haven't heard him do that. I might change my mind. I know the first person thing will push some buttons (not necessarily yours), but it's operative, IMO. Singing about something (as is the way I hear She Says) is very different to me. Again, it's just the way I react to music. It's not about sexuality. Clay's sexuality is immaterial to me. As I said when he first came out publicly, it's just another facet of a fascinating man.

I would imagine that much popular music is sung by artists who don't think anything remotely related to the lyrics. That doesn't matter to me because I don't listen to most popular music.

As for love songs, I hope to hear many from Clay.

Nothing anyone sings needs to be personal to me. I like to think it reflects them in some way. Naive, perhaps. I'll admit to that.

I appreciate that you asked for clarification.

I don't--personally--make a distinction between acting with actions and with words (as in singing.) No singer I know is singing about his/her real life "I got up this morning....took a leak...washed my face---ate choconuts...BaBaBoom, BaBaBoom," so I just assume he/she is playing a role with words. I just don't see Clay through the lens of his sexuality, so I think he could be pretty persuasive singing about sex with a woman (OR man).

Nobody may have said that he should stop singing them, but this whole conversation started because a few thought that he wouldn't sing Touch because it would mis-represent who he is (ie. gay). It's not that big of a jump to get into a conversation about what he wouldn't or would sing because of his orientation.

As I said earlier, I am enjoying the conversation. That wasn't the point I was making. I still didn't see anyone say he wouldn't sing to a girl. Maybe I'm making too fine a distinction on the convo.

I originally was talking about the photo analysis because it made ME uncomfortable that people were now reading all kinds of things into photos, which are just an instant in time - and not even about Clay. The viewing from a gay lense evolved from that. It wasn't quite so linear as you're making it sound.

I think I actually agreed with you. I understood that you got to your gay lens with more than the one photo - that it was just an example and that it was apparantly several other things added to it that made you uncomfortable. I on the other didn't even have a clue as to what you meant at all - thus the different strokes comment. No judgment or judgement was made on your feelings - at least that wasn't my intention.

Can I have snickerdoodle? :hysterical:

ALSO.... reading TWILIGHT. I can't seem to get away from it. I'm about halfway thru. The movie is coming out in November!!

Hey, chach, I recently started reading the Twilight series, too! And finished all four books within a week of starting the first book. Those books are thick, too! I enjoyed them a great deal. I wouldn't call them classic, great literature, but they sure are a fun read! I'm looking forward to the movie. I've seen the trailers, and it looks like it's going to be really good!

Clay sang "When a Man Loves a Woman" at Golfing for Inclusion, and that surely has to be the ultimate heterosexual song.

ETA If Clay seems more relaxed in a touchy/feely way, perhaps he no longer feels he has to be careful about how he "manhandles" LOL a woman in case she gets the wrong idea about his intentions! Now that he has made it clear he is gay, it is going to be a lot easier for him to be openly affectionate with women.

I would love to hear Clay sing WAMLAW in full, but maybe we wont now? He didn't seem too keen on it in the little clip that I saw.

It just seems as if it's made to show off the best of his voice.

I would hate a world where an artist could only produce those things that relate to his/her personal life.

Actors could only play themselves.

Artists could only paint about their lives.

Gay singers could only sing gay songs.

Idiots could only spout idiocy.

:lmaosmiley-1:

Ok, I admit I can be naieve sometimes and a building has to fall on me to get the point....but are there any gay love songs out there? Sometimes if lyrics are very subtle, I don't get them. Like that song "Afternoon Delight". I thought it was about a trip to the Dairy Queen for years.

Whoever wrote that blog, I think it's really funny.

I thought nothing of The Village Peoples songs ( YMCA & In the Navy) 'till I read it in the paper........

Happy Belated Birthday Liney!

Hugs to Muski Hope your bad luck quota was all used up last week!

Regarding the "he looks happier/ more touchy feely etc" conversation- what he said in his blog about "greedy opportunists" (not a direct quote). I think he would be able to relax more now - less likely for fake babymamas to pop up- less likely for some slime to try and reveal his "secret"- less worry that his fans will head for the hills. Perhaps just a general "whew I'm glad thats over and done with" . Also a lovely baby to put everything else into perspective.

well wandacleo, if the way he reacted to that blueberries and fish is any indication I'd say Clay could probably convince me of just about anything.

Regarding the "he looks happier/ more touchy feely etc" conversation- what he said in his blog about "greedy opportunists" (not a direct quote). I think he would be able to relax more now - less likely for fake babymamas to pop up- less likely for some slime to try and reveal his "secret"- less worry that his fans will head for the hills. Perhaps just a general "whew I'm glad thats over and done with" . Also a lovely baby to put everything else into perspective.

Ausdon I like this..makes a lot of sense to me.

Hmmm I don't like WAMLAW so it's probably why I've never seen the clack. I need to update my ipod!

I think of Clay the singer as a storyteller or an actor. I can enjoy music that expresses emotions not personal to me as well. Likewise movies, books and so forth. If I couldn't, I think I'd have a very limited life, given that the things that preoccupy most people (marriage, children) are not a part of my own life.

Good point JMH. I'm in that boat as well.

Oooh...the Twilight series... I've read the first two...bought the fourth one 'coss it was on sale...but haven't bought the third one yet, so I haven't read the fourth one. :crazy: Hell, I still haven't read the last Harry Potter! I'm reading "The Year of Living Biblically" now, though. I'm also looking forward to Diana Gabaldon's next Outlander book, supposedly out this year....

I know we don't want to go back and put a timeline on all of Clay's past songs, appearances, etc., in relation to his process of coming out and telling family, friends. But something hit me. Remember when he sang "Proud of Your Boy"? Wasn't that in 2004? I wonder if he sang that before or after he told his mother he's gay.

whoa.

I always thought the reason Clay wouldn't sing Touch in concert was because the lyrics were more sexually suggestive and he wanted to keep his concerts family friendly...I guess he didnt want to look out in the audience and see some 8-year-old singing "Yes, I've been thinking about you....I've imagined the feel of your body and how it will be when we move." That would be kind of icky.

I can totally see Ducky's point about a singer singing songs that are believable. I don't know if I will be able to buy in to Clay singing, for example, My Girl...unless he has a baby daughter some day and is singing to her. :cryingwlaughter: The difference with Johnny Matthis singing love songs is that I didn't know he was gay. Thanks for spoiling them for me. :cryingwlaughter: And I just can't watch Rock Hudson movies in which he plays the romantic, hunky leading man. If he were playing a romantic, hunky leading man opposite another romantic hunky man, I could buy into it and have no problem watching it. I just can't suspend disbelief that far.

However, I'm willing to give it my best shot....so BRING ON THE NEXT CONCERT TOUR, CLAY!!

ETA: I am beginning to worry about you ducky. You've led such a sheltered life. First, you've never heard of pimento cheese spread, now I find out you've never had snickerdoodles. You'll just have to come back and visit again and I'll make you some.