#42: We're still having fun, and you're still the one!

Couch Tomato

FCA Thread Title  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• Endlessly entertaining, never a dull moment!!
    • Clay you seriously need to go back into the closet....to find another outfit!
    • I luv him, he is the anti-cool. He is his own cool that far exceeds cool.
    • The balls may be lavander, but they're still titanium.
    • He's Clay. He's gay. And whatever. When's the next tour?
    • He's made of awesome!
    • Even more beautiful now, inside and out!
    • God, what a MAN!
    • That is a MAN.

Good Morning Everyone,

Wonderful blog...he said exactly what needed to be said and I too am glad he did not apologize loveclayssmiley.gif

Off to the dentist this morning to have this broken tooth looked at...I am dreading it...I hate having my teeth worked on...I would rather go through labor and delivery than have someone poking around in my mouth.

14 Days (two weeks!) until The BAF Gala! :yahoo:

20 Days until Clay is Roasting Matt Lauer!

:yahoo:

57 Days until Clay's Golden Birthday!

92 Days until The Closing Night of Spamalot!

:cry4:

112 Days until Golfing for Inclusion!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

What a guy! :clap:

Did I miss the button or is there no opportunity to comment? If not, smart move.

I was just coming to ETA: my post, so I'll just add it here!

ETA:

I finished reading the blog and I am THA-RILLED that the comment capability is NOT ON for this one.

That is as it should be! He gets to state his feelings without some folks coming in to blast him for them. They had their chance!

:wub:

:dadrocks:

OK, couchie! What the hell did you do? The Blue is creeping over my screen!

LOL the bots the bots

OK someone asked what are bots -- from ldy J - they are automated scripts that register at all these boards -for whatever reason, I'm not sure. But there's no human involved. We had a problem with bots awhile back so that's why we inserted the question into the registration process -- so we could pick out real fans from the bots. We don't want to ban people who want to be here. Well the bots figured out something because they have been all over us the last few days. When I went to invision they were already fully aware and I requested they do an upgrade with the patch to get rid of this problem. The results? BLUE.

Anyway, they gave us instruction on how to get our codes back but I'm not touching it cuz I'll blow up the board altogether. Ansa will fix things in the next few days. She's not around all day today so we'll have to live with the blue for at least a day.

PERFECT BLOG, an explanation without apology, but with understanding.....and a declaration of commitment to his career, the things he holds dear to his heart, and his continuing love for us. That's the man I've adored for five plus years now, and I'm not going anywhere....EVER!

EEEEEEEE......two weeks to the Gala!

I think the blue is pretty... :lilredani:

So how am I expected to do any thing today? He blogged! I want to marry that blog and have it's babies....since obviously I can't have Clay's! *g*

I LOVE CLAY AIKEN. He is one hell of a guy!

As soon as I read the words....He Blogged my stomach just turned over. It didn't when I read the People headline but I so wanted this to be "right". I'm not to good at explaining myself but I didn't want whining, apologies or pity me. He doesn't owe me any thing, least of all his heart and soul on a plate to dissect. I should have trusted him. It was in fact.....right.

claytonic, I don't have any of my magazines scanned, but PM me tomorrow (I'm out all day too, visiting my Mom), and I'll see what I can do for you. I need to pull out my copies of People magazine anyway to add the latest one to it.

I do love how he has asked us to not define him by his sexuality.

I do too. And yet...I can't help it...I've got to suggest this for a thread title:

He's Clay. He's gay. And whatever. When's the next tour?

I almost always say this whenever he blogs...but that blog was perfect in every way. He said what needed to be said, he said it in a respectful way, and yet he did NOT back down. He knows who he is, and he's not making apologies for anything. (Whoops, just realized I quoted him directly...) I could not be more proud of him at the moment, and I frankly could not ask for more...

I have a feeling that he's been working on this blog all week. I also have a feeling that Jaymes probably had a little input on it as well. (Of course, I could be talking out of my butt too...) Love both of them so very much. What a great partnership, IMO.

Off to Mom's. 6 hours total in the car. I'm planning on listening to LTS in audio book form again for at least part of the trip. Should be interesting.

*pets pretty new avatar* Thanks dancerdad!

liney -- :7252:

Oh, yeah. I 'ave a feelin' that blog went through several rough drafts!

I only noticed one spelling error, too1 :cryingwlaughter:

I can't even express how happy I am with that blog.

He is so articulate.

He is so damned intelligent.

And what heart.

I can just imagine him over the past 5 years hollering at the tv or the magazine or whatever, going, "What?! There's war going on! There are children starving for basic things like water and education!

And you wanna talk about ME??!!! And who I do or don't sleep with????!!!"

So - maybe now his world isn't UPSIDE DOWN!

:013085001176249046:

:Iluvclaysbutt:

BTW, I notice we have a new dogwalker.

crazycoffin, my sweet little doggie, Droopy, is right here waiting for you. What time will you arrive?

You got a lotta dogs to walk besides Raleigh and Durham.

Get busy, girl!!!

:hysterical:

claytonic
, I don't have any of my magazines scanned, but PM me tomorrow (I'm out all day too, visiting my Mom), and I'll see what I can do for you. I need to pull out my copies of People magazine anyway to add the latest one to it.

ldyjocelyn

I don't want you to go to any trouble... I was thinking there could be someone who has a cache of scanned articles, all neatly archived in chronological order!! It's not that important that I see that article... I have all the music, and that's the main thing!

I got up this morning and read his Blog. I am so proud of him, he is so articulate and so knows who he is. I hope for those who can not get by this will leave quitely and let the rest of us enjoy the man. I understand for those struggling and have not made a decision what they are going to do yet may still need time. But for those who were so vile with their statements, I hope they do not continue to make comments. I do not want to hear them anymore. I want to continue to enjoy the man for who he is. I can not wait for Clay to continue to entertain us.

It was a perfect blog, said everything that needed to be said in the right way, with the right tone and words. I'm so proud of him!

at the same time reading the words "I have endeavored' made me cry. it's stupid and it probably doesn't mean anything to anyone but i'm hoping that when we get back to normal routines that it includes going back to personal blogs. after the way people kept digging up every word he said in the last 5 years and put them under a microscope, i definitely don't blame him. i edit a lot too because complete strangers have told me they read what i say on the boards and sometimes my fingers fly faster than the wise side of my braing. i'm not finding fault, just expressing my hope that being a family is part of the routine.

WOW, what a FANTASTIC blog!!! I'm going to be gone all day at rehearsals and performances, but decided to check in here before leaving. And am I ever glad I did!

Like all of you, I'm enormously impressed and pleased with what he had to say, and how he said it. As I suspected, he tried his very best after that RS interview to never definitively answer regarding his sexuality. He really tried NOT to lead us to believe he was straight, and yet retain his right to privacy. I really don't think he could have tried any harder.

He is such a turn-on! He is articulate, intelligent, kind and assertive. That kind of man, whether gay or straight, is amazingly attractive to me. :hubbahubba:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LINEY!!!

:bday:

And now, I'm off to play the piano. piano.gif

See ya'll tomorrow - have a great day!

claytonic
, I don't have any of my magazines scanned, but PM me tomorrow (I'm out all day too, visiting my Mom), and I'll see what I can do for you. I need to pull out my copies of People magazine anyway to add the latest one to it.

ldyjocelyn

I don't want you to go to any trouble... I was thinking there could be someone who has a cache of scanned articles, all neatly archived in chronological order!! It's not that important that I see that article... I have all the music, and that's the main thing!

:cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

Back from the dentist...the good news is it wasn't a broken tooth...just part of a temporary filling that fell out. The bad news is I will have to have the tooth pulled. He gave me a referral to an oral surgeon. He actually told me 4 years ago that I should have it pulled, but since it wasn't bothering me and since I have such a phobia about dentists, I put it in the back of my mind and decided not deal with it until I absolutely had to. Now, I have too...so I guess I will be making that phone call. yuck!

Kim

I was thinking there could be someone who has a cache of scanned articles, all neatly archived in chronological order!! It's not that important that I see that article... I have all the music, and that's the main thing!

Hee, I do actually have a folder called Clay that contains a folder called Pictures that contains a folder called Scans that contains a folder called People that contains all the People articles back to 2004. *catches breath* Unfortunately not 2003, sorry! :F_05BL17blowkiss: But I am sure I also have the hard copy somewhere in my clack bin, I could dig it up and scan it if you need it!

aikim, sorry to hear about your dental woes. I hatessssss dentists. Haven't been in *mumblety mumble* years!

claytonic... thank you so much for the birthday wishes, but I'm not sure I like the reminder of how many birthdays... haha! I don't really mind, I just wanted to tease you about revealing my age! I'm in the prime of my life.... almost!

eta: I had to take out your age revealing stuff cause it said it had an error in bbcode whatever the heck that is... sorry.... not! :cryingwlaughter:

So how am I expected to do any thing today? He blogged! I want to marry that blog and have it's babies....since obviously I can't have Clay's! *g*

I LOVE CLAY AIKEN. He is one hell of a guy!

As soon as I read the words....He Blogged my stomach just turned over. It didn't when I read the People headline but I so wanted this to be "right". I'm not to good at explaining myself but I didn't want whining, apologies or pity me. He doesn't owe me any thing, least of all his heart and soul on a plate to dissect. I should have trusted him. It was in fact.....right.

merrieee... it was a nice birthday present to wake up to that wonderful blog with only one typo... :cryingwlaughter: (eta: I just re-read his blog and I'm very saddened to have noticed more typos... :cryingwlaughter: ) VERY well written. The man is so articulate and while sensitive to his fans feelings, firm on his own. I wub him mightely!!! One of my friends who is struggling, says it is the lying and that she can no longer trust him. I hope this blog changes her mind!

No comments... man, he's smart! And, I wanted him to close that rant thread early and he did. How bout that... my every wish is his command... ok, Clay... now announce your next tour as a Christmas present for us all, please! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

WOW, what a FANTASTIC blog!!! I'm going to be gone all day at rehearsals and performances, but decided to check in here before leaving. And am I ever glad I did!

Like all of you, I'm enormously impressed and pleased with what he had to say, and how he said it. As I suspected, he tried his very best after that RS interview to never definitively answer regarding his sexuality. He really tried NOT to lead us to believe he was straight, and yet retain his right to privacy. I really don't think he could have tried any harder.

He is such a turn-on! He is articulate, intelligent, kind and assertive. That kind of man, whether gay or straight, is amazingly attractive to me. :hubbahubba:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LIMEY!!!

:bday:

And now, I'm off to play the piano. piano.gif

See ya'll tomorrow - have a great day!

Gibby... I agree with the bolded above a LOT!!! However, I need to say definitively that my name is not Limey!!! I do drink sparkling water with lime all the time, but not enough to change my name to Limey! :cryingwlaughter: :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Another birthday present to myself this morning... my scales say I have reached the 30 lbs of weight gone point! YEAH me!!!

Now... back to read that amazing blog again! I'll be out most of the day, my friends are taking me out for brunch, which will turn into an all day visit, I'm sure. See ya, later!

Did anyone decide if there would be an FCA get together in Raleigh? I'll be driving in alone so I can meet whenever.

I don't have a gala ticket, but I'm definitely interested in a get-together.

Well, I think you COULD have a ticket if you wanted one! There are tickets available for sale in several places. :lol:

Do come join us jmh.

But when? Where? I looked in the thread and didn't see anything. I thought I'd caught up on all the posts. Help!

Yes, we really need to decide....I don't think you've missed anything. Sunday brunch is about the only time I have available.

I don't think that has been determined yet. Can one of the Raleigh locals help us find a place? Please?

ETA: Is it just me, or is there no spot to comment on that new blog? I want to say thank you!

It's not just you, and I believe it's deliberate~AND the right thing to do. Re a place~I'm sure the hotel will have a restaurant....would that work? Often the Marriotts have a buffet brunch; don't know if this one does offhand but I'm sure I could find out.

And/Or I can check with Cheri if you like, and you check with Donna...

What a great blog!

I love any writing that neatly answers questions and gently but firmly closes doors.

There is nothing else, IMO, that Clay needs to say.

IMO there is a fine line between being supportive, and making Clay's orientation a focus, and I think some are vaulting right over that line. Making him the poster boy or something. JMO.

He just looks sensual.

He just IS sensual :hysterical: ....and I agree with the vaulting thing!

http://www.people.com/people/archive/issue...6030526,00.html

I was at the People.com site and did a search on Clay Aiken and it brought up that page (above). It shows the People cover in May 2003, with Clay, Kim and Ruben. I realize this is very, VERy old for most of you but does anyone have a scanned copy filed away and easy to access or know of a site that have compiled scans of press articles?

Claytonic, if you go back to your link, there is a .pdf right on the page that you can download. It says it contains the whole magazine....I didn't check.

I agree that the blog was perfect. There have been a couple of times that I've gotten choked up over the years, but like Cotton, I don't cry. Sometimes I've wondered if there is something wrong with me. With this blog I felt a couple big tears running down my cheek.

Over the years I have been so surprised at Clay's ability to put things into proper perspective, he is a very smart man.

From CH:

Clay has given permission for his blog to be posted on boards. He wants as many people as possible to read it:

Quote:

Killing the elephants in the room.

10/03/08

What a week or so this has been. In fact, it's just been two weeks since I started back to the Spam. Jerome and I were just talking the other day, though, about how the past two weeks have felt like a month. So much routine to get back into and yet so much routine and consistency to break. No doubt, many of you have been going through quite a bit over the past week or so yourselves. What a bunch of headline news we have had in the past 10 days! Wall Street falling to it's knees. Congress propping it back up. Two debates. Hijackers in Somalia. New leaders in South Africa and Japan. You'd think with all of the important events going on in the world, there would be plenty to fill up the pages of America's newspapers, websites and blogs without the need for information on the private lives of the country's singers and entertainers. But, alas, thats never the case. In fact for the last five years, I've found what seems to have been an inordinate amount of interest (not from the public, but from the media) in my own personal life. The questions never seemed to stop. Oh sure, they die down for a period, but they resurface. The wind blows another direction, and I do yet another interview worried that my personal life will become a topic of discussion. No doubt the birth of Parker would bring the same scrutiny, just heightened. It's an interesting time we live in. Gone are the days when entertainers could go about their lives without the invasion of privacy that we now see everyday in the form of paparazzi and internet tabloid bloggers. So, in the hopes of being able to sing and act (and dance poorly) and do what I love to do for a living while raising my son in a hopefully more private and accepting environment, I chose to go ahead and confront things head on. Yes, I would have preferred to separate my personal life from my professional life. I would have been just as happy to go on without discussing my orientation. But, it seems like that was not an option. Make no mistake, its not because I am ashamed. No, not for a minute. I haven't always been as comfortable as I am now, but I am without a doubt, proud of who I am and make no apologies for it. Instead, I would have been happy to have kept my personal life private for that very reason. Because it's personal life and I have always considered myself a private person. But, living as myself without discussing my sexuality publicly would have been as impossible. One chance to expose the truth would have been a payday for any greedy opportunist.

I went to American Idol, much like many of us did "back in the day". Naive. Unlike the contestants who join up today, we had no idea of the power and pull of Idol when we signed on. (I'm sure many of us season two folks like to think we are the reason the show got so big!!! ;-) ) There I was two months off of the biggest show in the country, sitting at a table with a reporter from Rolling Stone who was asking me every single question I would never think of. Twenty-four years old in the rest of America is a LOT younger and more naive than twenty four years old in the media business. So when this guy started asking me about things that I didn't really know how to answer for myself... things that I was not yet ready to admit to folks like my mother and my family.... things that I found intimidating and invasive, I responded in what I assumed was a benign way at the time. I attempted to "out spin" a professional. I wasn't as good as I thought I was. But, I have no regrets. The truth is, I don't apologize for the responses I gave to that reporter or any reporter over the past five years. I did make every attempt I could after that one interview to never say "I am not gay" or "I am straight". And I never said either. (some interpreted my vague answers to mean that... but I never said either) Some will say thats misleading. In truth, it might be defined that way. But, a better definition and a more accurate way to describe it for me, is a redirection and an attempt to change the topic to something that matters more. For some of you it won't be enough, but I can't apologize for keeping my personal business to myself. If someone feels that they were mislead, I can totally understand that viewpoint and apologize for that feeling, but I can't apologize for how I handled questions that affected me and my right to privacy.

In my opinion, sexual orientation is ALWAYS a private thing. I think the OVERWHELMING majority of people agree with that. Why in the world should someone's sexual orientation be a news item? Why should anyone care? Yet, for all we espouse as a society about tolerance and open mindedness we forget to allow folks the opportunity to be who they are without judgement. Making a decision to come out to family is a difficult and heavy decision. But, for every young man or woman who is struggling with it, it should be a decision that is made on his or her own schedule ONLY. It's never acceptable for anyone to make such a decision for anyone else nor to coerce someone to take such a significant step before they are ready. Not a friend, not a stranger, not the media. So, I waited until the time was right for me. For that I can't apologize either.

There are plenty of you who have anticipated this blog in hopes that I would "set the record straight" or "admit to lying for five years and apologize for it". For that small group of people, I am afraid I will have to disappoint you. My decisions over the past five years have been made with lots of deliberation and at times even heartache. Always with concern for folks who might feel mislead. Don't doubt that. But they have also been made as an attempt, not to hide my true self, but instead to allow myself the same liberties and rights that every single gay man and woman in the world should have... the right to determine for myself when I was ready to discuss my personal life. In as much as that, at times, was interpreted as misrepresentation, I feel badly. But I reserved that right for myself and I can't say I regret it.

I have endeavored over the past several days to allow folks to vent and express themselves as freely as possible without restriction on these message boards. There is no way to change a person's mind when you tell them they are wrong. We all, when backed into a corner, have a human instinct to swing. Having different feelings and opinions and viewpoints are only natural. The only way to deal with that is to accept everyone's right to disagree, and allow them to discuss their feelings. I always have, and I always will. That said, it hasn't been, nor do I imagine it will be, my intent to make the message boards or the OFC a clearinghouse or discussion zone for sexuality or such topics. I hope we can always continue to discuss the same things we have always found important. The need for inclusion for children with disabilities. The desire to make sure every child in the world has access to their basic needs for survival. And any other topics that will make our neighborhoods, our regions, our country and our world a better more acceptable place (where that relates to issues involving sexuality, I hope we are able to advocate, at those times for the acceptance of others)... and I hope we will all still use the message boards for the lively discussion of the need for better entertainment and music in the world!!!! ;-) That said, as of this posting, I have asked the moderators to archive the thread regarding the People magazine article and close it from discussion. For those of you who are still struggling, I encourage you to continue to talk to your friends and neighbors and fellow OFC members in the thread devoted to such support. It is not going to be as easy as accepting something over night, but I believe that we are on the right track. The moderators will resume their regular duties of moderating the boards in the fashion that they did prior to last week, and I (and hopefully all of us) will resume our routines in the same fashion as well. Talking about music, talking about potential tours and other performances and appearances, talking about me forgetting my lines of tripping on stage in Spamalot, and discussing with our friends how many times we have seen the show and will see it! (And... looking forward to the announcement of out Playbill contest winner!!!)

Finally, I will say that, also representative of most every other gay man and woman in the world, that I am not defined by my sexuality. No more so than each of you are defined by your sexual orientation. No more than a man or woman is defined by race or ethnicity. It is, simply, a small facet of the same person I have always been. Most of you realize that nothing has changed. I hope to continue being able to entertain you in the same way I have for the past five years. And I hope you will allow me to continue to inform you of the causes that I find important and entertain you with the music and performances I love. For I love and cherish you all. Yesterday, now and forever.

c

*sniff*

I love Clay Aiken.

Very much.

That is all.

:wub:

Oh crap...if Clay's killing elephants PETA's going to be all over his ass again. That's great that he gave permission to for his blog to be posted on other boards. Saves people from PMing it all over the place. :cryingwlaughter:

I was thinking all kinds of deep, thoughtful things about the blog and came here only to find that most of them have already been said.

What a great blog!

I love any writing that neatly answers questions and gently but firmly closes doors.

There is nothing else, IMO, that Clay needs to say.

IMO there is a fine line between being supportive, and making Clay's orientation a focus, and I think some are vaulting right over that line. Making him the poster boy or something. JMO.

He just looks sensual.

This whole post is spot on. If someone is the type of person that would advocate for gay rights, that's wonderful. If someone is only going to advocate for gay rights because Clay is gay, well I think that's a little bit creepy. I think making him the poster boy for gay rights would be a further invasion of his right to privacy. I hope that doesn't happen.

Yep, Clay said it all. Hopefully that'll be his last word on the subject, because there's nothing else that needs to be said. Sexuality is but a small piece of the puzzle that makes up the person. Any person.

Word!

PERFECT BLOG, an explanation without apology, but with understanding.....and a declaration of commitment to his career, the things he holds dear to his heart, and his continuing love for us. That's the man I've adored for five plus years now, and I'm not going anywhere....EVER!

EEEEEEEE......two weeks to the Gala!

I think the blue is pretty... :lilredani:

And really, he owes us nothing else. He didn't even 'owe' us that.

I like blue. :)

Why do the stage door pictures since he came out look especially hott? Is it because we always want most what we can't have? Not that I could have had him before, but....damn, he's looking mighty fine.