#49: I am a fan of the man...pure and simple!

Thread Title  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• I still don't have money I just go anyway!
    • I'm hooked .... like a fish.
    • I think there's always going to be something big coming when it comes to Clay.
    • Not only did he take his life back he took the power from them.
    • He is large and in charge and I love it!
    • He puts a happy face on my heart!

Now, I could really show some interest if they said it was a live taping of "Clay Aiken'........the excitement would be palpable. :hubbahubba:

That's what I thought it was about when I saw the size of the fonts used (hee, I said size), and so now I'm kinda down... :(

Does anyone feel he will be included this season? I think it would be the BIGGEST INSULT, if he didn't. I would hate them more than I already do!!

Quite honestly, I am amazed they got Jennifer Hudson .. I mean, she doesn't need the exposure because the media glare has been constant because the Oscar, the Grammy and even (sadly) the family tragedy. I wonder if they asked her "very nicely" since she is surely the most celebrated Idol.

I feel sure they would have thought about Clay, he may not have won a Grammy but he's had a remarkable career resulting from the exposure he got from Idol in 2003, so they'd surely want to "brag" about him too. At least that's what I think.

Jamar, I honestly think Clay is too smart as a businessman to turn down an appearance on Idol.

I, for one, became a fan not from watching AI#2 but from watching his guest appearance on AI#3, and i feel there were many more who discovered him that way.

Jamar, I honestly think Clay is too smart as a businessman to turn down an appearance on Idol.

I, for one, became a fan not from watching AI#2 but from watching his guest appearance on AI#3, and i feel there were many more who discovered him that way.

And a bazillion more from the appearance on AI5.....

I personallly don't think he's going to be on; just a feelin', with absolutely no basis.

Well I'm certainly not implying that Clay isn't smart. We just don't know. I think Clay knows what is right for him at this time. I don't think it's always one way or the other. Clay has made plenty of comments in the past about moving on from Idol and he has nothing to promote right now.

Not every artist is going to slobber all over themselves to be on AI ...just because.

JMHO and all that jazz.

Well I'm certainly not implying that Clay isn't smart. We just don't know. I think Clay knows what is right for him at this time. I don't think it's always one way or the other. Clay has made plenty of comments in the past about moving on from Idol and he has nothing to promote right now.

Jamar, I honestly wasn't implying that you were implying that Clay isn't smart. I believe that whatever Clay feels about Idol, he also knows that an appearance on such a high rating show is a massive showcase for any artist. He told us that they tried very hard to get an appearance on Idol last year, but it just wasn't possible. OMWH still needs to sell even though it is no longer a new release.

Every time an artist appears on a show like Idol or Xfactor, their single/album shoots right up the charts. This is true even of artists like Beyonce and Mariah, that is why they jump at the opportunity to appear these shows, despite being established and hugely successful artists themselves.

Yeah well. Agree to disagree and all that. :)

Clay doesn't have a single to shoot up the charts and he appears to have moved on from promoting OMWH. Not to mention that he seems to be at a "recollecting" point in his career. Maybe the timing just isn't right for HIM right now.

There is a lot of history with the split from 19-E and everything that supposedly went on with the AI3 appearance at the time of the split. They may agree at times (like AI5) to work together but I just don't see him ever being treated like the other past contestants on this show. And he made the choice to try to get out of his 19-E contract. He knows he could have played the game their way and still have been beholden to the show. It is what it is. I'm sure he's smart enough to know that too.

And I don't think he's going to tour this year either.

You can just call me Mary Sunshine! :hahaha:

---

eta...I've now officially edited the crap out of this post and will move on to a new post the next time a new thought hits.

Yeah well. Agree to disagree and all that.
:)

Clay doesn't have a single to shoot up the charts and he appears to have moved on from promoting OMWH. Not to mention that he seems to be at a "recollecting" point in his career. Maybe the timing just isn't right for HIM right now.

There is a lot of history with the split from 19-E and everything that supposedly went on with the AI3 appearance at the time of the split. They may agree at times (like AI5) to work together but I just don't see him ever being treated like the other past contestants on this show. And he made the choice to try to get out of his 19-E contract. He knows he could have played the game their way and still have been beholden to the show. It is what it is. I'm sure he's smart enough to know that too.

And I don't think he's going to tour this year either.

You can just call me Mary Sunshine!
:hahaha:

---

eta...I've now officially edited the crap out of this post and will move on to a new post the next time a new thought hits.

When Beyonce performed on X Factor last year, it was to promote her European tour, her new album and new single "If I were a boy", which she performed.

She also performed Listen as a duet with one of the finalists. She wasn't promoting Listen, it was her "old" single from "Dreamgirls, it was chosen by the contestant.

Listen was at #60 on the charts when Beyonce appeared on XFactor.

One week after appearing on XFactor, Listen shot up to #8.

Mentors who have appeared on Idol or Xfactor have benefited from a boost in sales to their old albums.

All I am saying is that IF they invite him, I would eat my hat if he said 'no thanks', especially when he tried to get on last year and couldn't. Exposure on Idol is pure gold.

Every time an artist appears on a show like Idol or Xfactor, their single/album shoots right up the charts. This is true even of artists like Beyonce and Mariah, that is why they jump at the opportunity to appear these shows, despite being established and hugely successful artists themselves.

Not always. Examples--Kimberley Locke and Bo Bice. Neither had albums that had just been released. Kimberley was trying to ignite a new single, and she'd gotten decent radio play before, but nada. Both of them sold a few hundred albums as a result of their appearances.

I think this works best for established stars with hot material at the moment.

Having said all that, I still agree with you that Clay would go on the show if asked.

ETA: Ruben got the "going home" song last year, the one they play at the end of every results show, and an appearance to sing it, and it tanked.

Not always. Examples--Kimberley Locke and Bo Bice. Neither had albums that had just been released. Kimberley was trying to ignite a new single, and she'd gotten decent radio play before, but nada. Both of them sold a few hundred albums as a result of their appearances.

Having said all that, I still agree with you that Clay would go on the show if asked.

ETA: Ruben got the "going home" song last year, the one they play at the end of every results show, and an appearance to sing it, and it tanked.

While I'd concede that Clay is not as "big" as Beyonce, I wouldn't compare him with Kimberly and Bo Bice. Neither of them are in his ball-park in terms of success. Whenever Idol talks about their stars, Clay is always mentioned, along with Jennifer Hudson, Kelly, Carrie, Chris D. I NEVER hear about Kim Locke or Bo Bice. Or even Ruben or OTHER winners. Clay has a great album that wasn't really marketed. It still has a chance to pick up some sales although it isn't easy in the current economic climate. Plus the music industry in general has been feeling the pinch for a few years, so even an appearance on Idol won't necessarily mean a huge boost but it will push things along and because of an audience that includes industry people, there are all kinds of possibilities that may arise out of such an exposure, I am thinking TV....

ETA: The Xfactor in the UK has had 5 seasons. They have only produced one star, Leona Lewis, although they are very optimistic about the 2008 winner. Their 2007 winner has just been dropped by the record company.

I think Clay would appear if AI invited him and it worked with his schedule. I have no idea if something is in the works or not, but if it is, I doubt we'd hear about it until right before it happened, anyways. So I'm keeping an open mind!

I honestly don't see any purpose for Clay to be on AI this year...totally agree with Jamar..no CD or single to promote (don't think he will be doing any promotion for BOCA)...can't see him being on the show just to promote his guest appearances and not sing. I suppose he could be on as a mentor as some others have done, but that just does not interest me.

Kim

Just to add in my two cents, I'd love to see Clay on Idol, as a mentor or guest star or whatever. Maybe he doesn't have anything "hot" to currently promote, but maybe he could announce something *leprechaun jump!* or even just plug something else--like the Tyra or 30 Rock appearances. :shrug: Speaking of, if he's taking/making the effort to appear on those shows, why not Idol if he got an invite?

And of course, Clay does what Clay does, doesn't need me planning his appearances, I don't know whats going on with Team Clay, blah blah blah, whatever... Hm, maybe he'll unveil a stubbly new look... :tasty:

I honestly don't see any purpose for Clay to be on AI this year...totally agree with
Jamar
..no CD or single to promote (don't think he will be doing any promotion for BOCA)...can't see him being on the show just to promote his guest appearances and not sing. I suppose he could be on as a mentor as some others have done, but that just does not interest me. Kim

You see, I don't see a new album or single promotion as THE reason to be on Idol.

Clay is the ultimate product, and an appearance on Idol would be primarily to promote Clay Aiken. If Clay does not appear on Idol this year, it would mean they did not invite him. There is no way he'd refuse something so valuable, I'd bet my bottom dollar on that.

While I'd concede that Clay is not as "big" as Beyonce, I wouldn't compare him with Kimberly and Bo Bice. Neither of them are in his ball-park in terms of success.

I agree--just addressing your generalization that "every time an artist appears...."

While I'd concede that Clay is not as "big" as Beyonce, I wouldn't compare him with Kimberly and Bo Bice. Neither of them are in his ball-park in terms of success.

I agree--just addressing your generalization that "every time an artist appears...."

Well, I think it would be fair to say "generally" that if a popular artist appears on a show like Idol, it would generate sales to their product. It may not result in huge sales in the current economic climate, but it would definitely generate sales because there are many people who watch and enjoy Idol and buy the music when they KNOW about it but they don't follow the artist around like we do. I have talked to several of those people who tell me they love Clay but they obviously have a life, unlike the rest of us :cryingwlaughter:

Clay is the ultimate product, and an appearance on Idol would be primarily to promote Clay Aiken.

Which is why I think he's appearing on ANTM and 30 Rock instead. Why do I think that? Because IMO he's more interested in the acting portion of his career -- and AI isn't a natural fit for that.

My opinion on this has changed somewhat over the years, but I'm one who never really believed Clay liked the idea of "selling yourself." As much as I do think he understands now that this does help his career, I also think that he's never really locked himself down into one career within show business. And I really think he combines humbleness with picking and choosing what he wants to do to get the goal at the time. What's his goal at the moment? I really have no idea, but as I speculate in my first paragraph, I think it might be acting.

Now, this doesn't mean he may not do the show. He's said before that he'd do the entire show again in a heartbeat, and I think he genuinely appreciates what the show gave him. I'd be happy if he does appear. I just don't think he will at this point.

Yes, there would be a jump in record sales for OMWH if he appeared on the show. I just don't think the jump would be that good though. JMO. (Honestly, I think a movie picking a song from the album as a theme would cause more sales than AI, but again, JMO).

Didn't Clay say something last Spring about Idol? Something in that blog that wasn't a blog, or maybe it was a blog, I don't remember.... but when he was addressing the fans about the reception of OMWH, promotion, radio, etc. Didn't he say something (and please don't hold me responsible for accuracy here, this is a sincere question) along the lines of .... why wouldn't he want to be on the top rated show in the country or something along those lines?

I don't know what he thinks or what he wants, how he makes his decisions, or what is most likely to happen/not happen. But I know what I think, and I would love it if he were on AI this season or any season.

Edited a few times just because Jamar is here, and I know she'd appreciate it..... and it's still not worded clearly. Oy.

Edited by duckyvee