# 64: A super smart, caring, determined, classy, easy-going, and genuinely good, likeable guy

ldyjocelyn

Via CV, the story of the hoodie Clay was wearing yesterday:

Just now saw Clay's 10th anniversary video.

You folks are probably not going to believe me, but I swear this is true.

I sent him that hoodie a long time ago.

I ordered an ugly Burberry dress from eBay. (Can you imagine a dress made out of Burberry? It was truly ugly.)

I went to JCPenney and found a nice burgundy hoodie. I cut a big chunk out of the skirt of the ugly dress and sewed it by hand in the hood of the jacket.

I cut out the Burberry tag from the dress and sewed it in the hood as well.

I enclosed a note saying that even though the hoodie wasn't real Burberry, I could assure him that the fabric was. (I still have the scraps somewhere. Saw them not long ago.)

Then I put it in a bag and gave it to Nick at a concert. Raleigh, I think.

I never saw or heard another thing about it. I never even knew whether he got it or not, much less kept it.

God bless that sweet man!

:GM_FCA:

I had class last night and missed all the fun..it was fun catching up though! The video was very sweet and he sounded great! I actually did not find him until Wild Card Night..maybe he can do a video for each week he was on the show!

We had thunderstorms and hail last night and it is supposed to be in the 60's today..but as is normal for Chicagoland weather..the temps will drop tomorrow and by Thursday we will be in the teens again. Just a typical January, LOL!

Kim

I too shared it on my Facebook account. I have several FB friends who followed Clay like crazy, but have since fallen away from the fandom. At least one has noticed it and made a cool comment. None of my "non-fan" friends have said anything, and that's OK.

Finally! My list, no particular order:

Kyrie - I have the original album with this and Broken Wings on it, and always loved both songs. He used it on the IT for one of his patented entrances--everyone was looking around trying to find out where he was, and the cheers were enormous when he was spotted. His voice rang out and filled those venues. This is one I wish he would record.

When Doves Cry - This isn't so much for the performance as the vocals, and because I don't think it made any other list. It's just amazing what he does with this song! And the bit with the choir robes was hilarious, especially the time in Vermont when Clay got cracked up by Felix just before and could not stop laughing. They left the stage and came back.

MOAM – Wilkes-Barre - One of those "moments." I even have photos from this taken by my friend Shady, 4 of them in a frame, on the top of a bookcase in my bedroom. It was just unbelieveable when the whole venue started singing, and his reaction was priceless. I loved that whole segment, the arrangement, the blending of the voices (yes I miss Jacob on these too), the song choices. Fields of Gold, sigh. But I digress.

This is the Night – Not my favorite song ever. Wait? Why is on my list then? Because Clay loved the heck out of that song, and his performances were amazing every time. That is not an easy song to sing! By now it is obvious that my list is performance driven, with a few exceptions, and the performance of this that I love the most is one in Atlantic City when he invited the little boy to join him for the entrance and the whole song. They had found a tiny microphone stand for him, and they did the microphone grab together. So sweet. I also really liked the video they showed before the song on that tour.

Lover All Alone – Canandaigua - what can I say? The rain was pouring, the cello was amazing, his voice was perfect. Another "moment."

OMG Unchained Melody - I love, love, love every version of this song Clay has ever done, but that night he stunned us all.

Bring Back My Love - Gala - I really wish we had another chance to hear this live (for many, the first chance). He was HAWT! There was growling and stuff. It was amazing. Like everything else he does, I'm sure it would be best live on a tour. And the song, I really really like it!

To Love Somebody – AI, Gala (Another lost chance, as this one was a full version) - I loved this and Everlasting Love on AI, and having heard it, I knew the boy could wail! Simon was impressed too. Clay, please do a 60s, motown album!

Grownup Christmas list – GMA 2006? - This was his first performance of the song slowed down, with just a guitar and piano. It brings out the poignancy of the lyrics. This song will have to stand in for All Christmas Songs, as he has made me love so many Christmas songs, both standards and so many I had never heard. And he gets so into Christmas!! How can I resist?

Back for More – GMA Live - This was outside, the night after the Jukebox Tour opened, and the collective fandom was in thrall with this song. Shady and I practiced the words all the way to Buffalo so we could sing along. I was not hard-broken when it wasn't released, and it doesn't do his voice any favors at all, but that day, in the sunlight, it was something else. And his eyes were so green, and he looked so good....

I Can’t Make You Love Me - For the emotion he put into this. Just him and the piano.

Something About Us - this is such a beautiful song--it should be a classic.

I Want to Know What Love Is – with Angela and Quiana - I can't remember now what venue this was, but couchie might remember. I really enjoyed the vocal improvizations he and Angela/Quiana did on this every night on that tour, but that night it was both of them, and it really killed! And I love his voice on this, especially at the beginning. Gives me chills.

Methinks he really likes Beyonce...

LOL..this made me laugh so hard. She is a beauty. I wonder why she chose to lip synch at that event. It's not like she's Ashley simpson. She CAN sing. I don't understand these people that want to be perfect. Let us hear and see the real emotion. Even when I watched the event I thought Kelly's song was so much better despite her imperfections and nervousness. Plus I just loved that moment when she seemed to get a bit flustered. I love Kelly Clarkson and if you know me you know I've come a long way.

JMH

Love your list. I really agree about Something About US. It is just gorgeous. I thought Clay did an amazing job on When Doves Cry. I mean it's a PRINCE song. Prince! LOL He did it justice.

I've been listening to a lot of my favorite songs lately. And Clay has sung so many of them. A song I really love is Fantasy by Earth, Wind and Fire. Every time I listen to it I can see Clay on that Idol stage.

This has been an extremely busy week at work. We're short handed but nobody cares. They just expect the work to get done. On top of my normal work load, there are 3 American ships and 4 cruise ships we're working on. Last night I fell asleep at 7:30 and still didn't want to get up this morning.

Very cute Clay mention from Samm Levine, the star of "Do No Harm," which premiered last night on NBC. This is EW, but this time, give them hits:

Samm Levine reveals his 'Lost' fan moment and 'Idol' secret in EW's Pop Culture Personality Test

TV episode that you can’t purge from your DVR.

Oh, this is going to sound so ridiculous, but I’m so glad you asked me: The performance episode of season 2 of American Idol because Clay Aiken is so incredible.

YES!

I’m a huge Idol fan, and I do this with my friends every year — before they announce who wins, I literally pause the DVR and I go back and make them watch Clay’s performance of “Bridge over Troubled Water.”

I’m not kidding, I have this song on my iPod because it is so good. Like, I ripped it from the video so I could have it.

Right?! Honest to God, I’m always like, ‘See that? None of these people deserve to win. I don’t care which of these guys is the winner. They’re not that good.’

They embedded the BOTW video as well.

I noticed that this actor's favorite karaoke song is "Mack the Knife." Hmmmm...wonder if he knows about Clay's version. (But I am NOT suggesting anyone send that information to him! Hee.)

luckiest, Beyonce was at a news conference yesterday, because she's the halftime performer at the Super Bowl this Sunday. She admitted that because of no practice time with the orchestra and the weather, she decided to lip sync the National Anthem at the Inauguration. But then, she asked everyone to stand up, and did a pitch perfect version acapella.

I'm not a fan on lip syncing at all, but I do have to admit that if it was something major, with everyone watching, and no practice, I'd probably cheat a little too. But that's just me... I do think it's interesting that Clay's taken such an interest in this. And I had no idea that he was such a fan of hers. (BTW, my husband ranks Beyonce right up there with Halle Berry in regards to beauty. He doesn't tend to fanboy very often, but with these two women, I think he's stunned. Of course, I'm the most beautiful woman to him.)

jmh, loved your list. All kinds of good stuff there. I think it's interesting that we almost always have a special performance that we remember. It may not be the song that's great, but the performance.

I went on a bit of an adventure yesterday...I drove to Windsor/Detroit border area to pick up 3 pugs from a rescue organization. They were removed from a home, some suffering from mange, and placed in a shelter, from which the rescue lady sprung them. The female is 4 yrs old and has already had 3 or 4 litters. The little 1 yr old has hardly any fur left so he was dressed in a fleece shirt and was shivering and shaking. The 6 yr old elder statesman has an old hip injury which causes issues with his mobility. Thankfully I took a helper with me for the ride home, and she was able to give them all the snuggles and love they were looking for while I navigated the snowy, icy highway. We delivered them to a friend here in London who plans to keep the two males and will drive the female to Toronto later in the week to go to her new home. A pretty different way to spend a Saturday, but well worth it! Pictures are on Facebook but ill try to attach one here too.

post-212-0-83405400-1359897197_thumb.jpg

luckiest, thanks for your volunteer work. I hate to think that people have pets and then abuse them. I wonder what they would do with children? I hate to kill anything so we have a live trap for mice and release them in the woods, which is our back yard. We also have a bug catcher which picks up bugs without squashing them and we release them outdoors. We do have refillable ant traps and I will kill certain types of bugs but only if they invade our space or try to get to our food. The South is quite buggy in the summer.

Have a wonderful day. I'll be off to the gym at noon trying to strengthen up my pitiful legs.

luckiest, I love what you did! I'm more a cat person, but anyone who can help animals gets a thumbs up from me!

I'm off to the gym today as well, and then will be making food for my husband and I while we watch the Super Bowl, mostly for the commercials. We'll turn to PBS though to watch "Downton Abbey" at the appropriate time!

Just read on the CH that DolcePienza died unexpectedly last week. She was a fan who I almost always saw at least once a tour; I'm sure I saw her at the Gala in October. RIP Dolce.

I'm here, but I'm super busy this week. I have a paper due soon for my class, not to mention the regular homework for it. Plus, there are people missing from my workplace because of the flu, so work has been stressful. AND...I'm helping host a brunch party Saturday morning. It's insanity!

But of course, if Clay does something cute or noteworthy (and he's been known to do both at the same time), I'll be here in a New York minute!