# 64: A super smart, caring, determined, classy, easy-going, and genuinely good, likeable guy

ldyjocelyn

To tag onto shorty's post, here is the email:

Listen to Clay's Radio Show Pilot Stream on 2/26!

We have some exciting news for Clay fans all over!

Clay will be doing his radio show pilot stream on February 26th from 7-10pm EST. This is the show he talked about on the last OFC chat and he'd love for YOU, the fans, to call in during the show! We'll post the number during the stream.

If you are not a member of the OFC, you will still be able to hear the stream simply by visiting clayaiken.com and pressing play on the Livestream window that will be on the homepage the day of the stream. The stream will also air on the Chat page where OFC members can listen and chat in the chat room.

Happy listening!

-TC

:happybirthday04:desertrose!

Our weather today: :freezing: Mostly cold, but tomorrow night we're supposed to get snow. We haven't much for the past two years, so it's actually kind of good.

Next week is a bad week for me regarding my class, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to hear the entire radio pilot. I'll try to get to some of it at least!

:GM_FCA:

6 Days until the Radio Pilot :yahoo:

76 Days until Clay is on stage in NC! :yahoo:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

5 Days until the Radio Pilot :yahoo:

75 Days until Clay is on stage in NC! :yahoo:

Kim

Excerpt from Clive's book about Clay:

I met with Ruben and Clay together, along with the two other finalists that year, at my bungalow at the Beverly Hills Hotel. ... Clay, too, was much like the character he portrayed on the show, a very likable nerd who was shedding his awkwardness as styling and the confidence of his appeal to audiences started to shape who he was. ... Clay was the only one at the meeting who really spoke up with a definite point of view. He wanted to make sure that there was no off-color language in any of his material or any sexual innuendo. He didn't care what it took to have a hit. He did not want material that did not speak for his values or that made him feel uncomfortable in any way. ... while I understood that the American Idol audience was not exactly cutting-edge, one way of providing an artist with an identity separate from the show was to roughen the edges of their songs, as our experience with Kelly Clarkson proved. Clay made it clear that that could never be the strategy with him, which raised the bar of difficulty in that regard. Still, he had a large, rabid following that had already begun to dub themselves "Claymates" and "Claymaniacs," and they would provide a strong base. ...

I invited Clay to my weekend home in Poundridge to hear the songs we'd selected [for MOAM] and to get his feedback. ... It went as smoothly as could be. Clay had not been the most expressive or open person in the world, but he made it clear that he liked all the songs. He said he was very apprehensive in approaching listening to the material, but honestly felt we really had done a good job. ...

I do believe Clay could have made an even stronger showing [with MOAM] if we had not been hamstrung by the type of material he would be willing to record. He quoted me in Time as saying that I wanted him to put "some balls" on the album, and while I don't specifically recall putting it quite that way, it's close enough. I often sent back to the studio to rerecord his vocals in the effort to get something that was honest, strong, and deep, not mechanical. As so many of the Idol singers have done, when I pushed Clay to try something with a bit more edge, he pointed out that 12 million people had voted for him on Idol for doing just what he wanted to do, just for being who he was. Fair enough. But selling an album is not a popularity contest. There's a big difference between motivating someone to vote for you in a talent show and inspiring them to open up their wallets and buy your album. "This Is the Night" is a very strong song, but it was a souvenir of the show and he had to get beyond that for the album. When you're aspiring to become a career recording artist, the stakes automatically become different. ... People want to see you stretch and evolve. They definitely want to know if you have some edge. I explained to him that you can't be paralyzed by what the Idol audience expects of you. You're now competing against many other artists in a much different context, and if you allow the television audience to program your music, you will not be on the radio and you won't be on MTV. And then where are you? You have to be ahead of the curve.

Clay, for his part, made it very clear that was not how he viewed himself. ... In his geek-to-chic transformation he very much viewed himself as the underdog who had triumphed. That was find and, I thought, accurate. But you can't pigeonhole yourself to do only sweet songs or love songs or uplifting songs. I didn't need really suggestive songs, but I did need songs with edge. ... Given all the issues in play working with Clay, it was decided his next project, scheduled for 2004, would be a holiday album. It was as safe a choice as could be and would not bruise anyone's sensibility or raise controversial issues. Indeed, Clay's album nuzzled close to the contemporary-Christian audience, a following that Clay encouraged without ultimately wanting to be limited to that niche category. ... More than merely a placeholder, the album sustained the aura of success surrounding Clay, which is precisely what it was meant to do. ...

But to use a biblical reference that Clay would likely recognize, the writing was on the wall. The more Clay toured and gave interviews expounding his views, the less likely it was that he would ever be perceived as a Top 40 artist again. Despite still being in his twenties, he had become an adult contemporary artist, and our best bet would be to treat him as such. It's not a category that triggers explosive sales, but whatever we were going to get from him we would get on that basis. Top 40 radio was not even a consideration at that point.

The album A Thousand Different Ways came out in 2006 ... The album sold more than 200,000 copies in its first week and was eventually certified gold. Clay was still successful but attrition had clearly set in, and by the time Clay began working on his 2008 album On My Way Here it was evident tht he personally was not at all interested in any further guidance. Clay wanted to oversee this album on his own ... The album, his last for RCA, sold fewer than 200,000 copies, and his next album, Tried and True, a 2010 release on Decca, sold fewer than half that. Of course, Clay has stayed active as a recording artist; he released an album on Verve on 2012 titled Steadfast, but by this time his audience had almost entirely disappeared. He has done television work, and he performed in the Broadway production of Monty Python's Spamalot., He is active in causes that are important to him, like antibullying, AIDS relief, gay rights, and various children's issues. Like many performers who enjoy early success before they are knowledgeable enough or emotionally ready for it, Clay still seems to be searching for what he truly wants to do.

icon_minipost.gif icon_quote.gif

I went to Barnes and Noble last night to skim Clive's book for Clay mentions. What is above is an abbreviated version of the section (I think it's six pages total). And...sue me if you want...but I want to read this book. I'm not going to buy it, I'll borrow it from a library, but I do want to read it.

You ever hear the saying "There are three sides to every story -- yours, mine, and the truth?" I think that's what's happening here. I know Kelly Clarkson has been furious about what Clive wrote, and I tend to believe her more than Clive. But, having said that, I would venture a guess that there's some truth in what he wrote about her too. Same with the above chapter on Clay. I think that even if we do get Clay's side of the story, there's some truth in what Clive said, just as there would be some truth in what Clay said.

And, as always, just my opinion.

Eh that's not bad about Clay although I'm sure Clive's memories only allows himself to be right on all counts. But I still tend to believe Kelly's point of view. I don't think he cares for people that don't cowtow to him and I remember that fight over that one album. I do believe he sabotaged it and that every word she wrote in her blog was true. When I think of Clive he reminds me so much of Al Davis, Raiders owner. Genius, sure but also believing only what they think has any meaning. I also think he is petty and vindictive and I hope Kelly doesn't suffer more of his pettiness by speaking out against him. It was quite brave and I have a feeling it wasn't a rash decision to do so. Since she's already backtracked a bit I have a feeling that pressure it being applied all around.

FYI, I'm reading on CV that the Gala weekend is also the weekend of a huge NASCAR event. It may be VERY tough to get hotels (and I wonder if that affects flight prices as well).

As much as I said I would never miss a Gala...I might have to this year. I would be in the throes of the my first semester of going back to school for an advanced degree (which will cost money) plus I will probably still be paying off the Alaska cruise. It makes me sad, as I'd really like to go. I hate to miss live Clay....

I got an A on my first paper! Woohoo!

On the downside, I'm supposed to work until 7:30 this evening (a faculty member requested an evening library orientation several months ago), and that's about the time the predicted snow storm will be full throttle. Sigh.

Guess what Clay? We almost always end up sounding like our parents! It's scary, but it's true!

Made it home tonight. Fortunately, I only live 5 minutes away from where I work, so it wasn't bad. BUT...the wind was howling and the snow was falling! I am dearly hoping for a snow day tomorrow!

Weird Clay thought tonight - on the Colbert Report, Steve had on a dancer that did "jukin' " and during the performance I thought to myself, "Clay does that with his feet too! Still looks horrific!"

Eh for Clive Davis...edge doesn't always work (and Clive has always struck me as the guy with the proverbial hammer - everything looks like a nail after awhile)...but if nothing else, Clay seems satisfied with how his life has turned out and is clearly still memorable enough to that old head - and he's been through probably thousands of singers. Hopefully at some point in the book he actually remembers Kim or Joshua's names (but since I'm sure he had editors who could look that stuff up, if they weren't named - now that's a diss.)

4 Days until the Radio Pilot :yahoo:

74 Days until Clay is on stage in NC! :yahoo:

Kim

KAndre, as I said earlier, I did look through Clive's book the other day. Now, I used the index to find the Clay mentions, and they were all in one section, about 6 pages total. I didn't look for Kim or Josh, but I doubt seriously if they were even mentioned. Ruben was mentioned briefly in the Clay section, and received a page after that section as well. A single page.

So yeah, Clay was definitely memorable for Clive.

And yeah, Clay still seems happy with his life.

That's good enough for me.

Congratulations ldyj upon getting an A! Good luck in your pursuit of an advanced degree. I hope you still have time to hang around here.

Meh to Clive's book. I can live without reading it. I'm a lot more interested in Clay's view of things. Speaking of which I'd better start saving up for the Gala as it's only 80 or so miles from me, closer than Raleigh but a lot more expensive. My west coast son usually flies into Charlotte so I'd think some of the fares are less expensive. Last May he flew into Charlotte from Portland O for $250. round trip. I believe he got that rate from Orbitz. And since Clay is doing the reception again on Friday night, I may have to spring for the silver ticket. I am dieting to fit into my clothes better so I won't spend money on that.

Have a wonderful day. We started the morning with a little sleet but it's turned into rain.

playbill.com

Clay Aiken and Tony Winner Beth Leavel Will Star in North Carolina Theatre's Drowsy Chaperone

Clay Aiken and Tony Winner Beth Leavel Will Star in North Carolina Theatre's Drowsy Chaperone

By Andrew Gans

February 22, 2013

"American Idol" runner-up Clay Aiken, who was seen on Broadway in Monty Python's Spamalot, will play Man in Chair in North Carolina Theatre's upcoming production of the award-winning musical The Drowsy Chaperone, which runs May 7-12 in the Raleigh Memorial Auditorium at the Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts (formerly Progress Energy Center).

Aiken will be joined by Tony winner Beth Leavel, who will reprise the role of The Drowsy Chaperone that she created on Broadway.

The production will mark Aiken’s return to the NCT stage after performing there during his youth in the 1996 productions of 1776 and Shenandoah.

“The very first time I ever auditioned for anything was when I stepped into an audition for NCT's production of 1776 back in 1996. North Carolina Theatre was my first experience performing on a professional stage," said Aiken in a statement. “It's possible that, had it not been for experience and encouragement I received as a part of this organization, I may never have had the confidence to audition for 'American Idol.' Now, 17 years after my first theatrical performance, I'm happy to be fulfilling a promise I made years ago to return to the stage at North Carolina Theatre.”

“It has always been a dream of ours to have Clay Aiken back on the NCT stage someday. Clay is a remarkable talent and a fine theatre actor - we are beyond thrilled that The Drowsy Chaperone has created this opportunity,” added NC Theatre artistic director Casey Hushion. “We are grateful that Clay has been a longtime supporter and a true friend to NCT and we cannot wait to watch him shine in this incredibly unique role.”

The show-within-a-show (with Tony-winning book by Bob Martin and Don McKellar and a Tony-winning score by Lisa Lambert and Greg Morrison) concerns a show-tune addict (named Man in Chair) who shares with the audience his favorite cast album — 1928's fictional The Drowsy Chaperone. As he plays the record, the vintage musical comes to life around him.

For tickets visit www.NCTheatre.com or call Ticketmaster at (800) 745-3000.