#54: Clay is like a box of chocolates (with a pickle on the side)

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA

• Clay Aiken: Inner Cool
    • My Eyes Adored You
    • What joy to see him; time flew by on golden notes -- moon river echoes
    • Swoon River

Are you telling me that some people are issuing their regular ultimatums to Clay again? I don't know whether to :cryingwlaughter: or :cry4:.

Are the music industry experts in the fandom sharing their expertise as to the path toward his greater success, and is Clay not playing along with their career plan? Is he again ignoring their pronouncements on the songs he should record? If so, it's definitely a :hahaha: for me.

To be sure, I'll always be a fan of Clay Aiken. Can't be sure I'll always be on fan boards, because if FCA ever went away (God forbid), I'd probably confine myself to lurking at the OFC for status reports. I certainly wouldn't associate myself with places that censor some speech while giving wide berth to ripping Clay Aiken to shreds, or boring me to tears with faux authoritarianism over his career choices. There's a difference between expressing honest opinion and grinding the old ax. Oy vey!

To be clear, Clay can go on Broadway again, do a talk show, take a recurring role in a TV comedy, record every couple of years and tour occasionally while spending most of his time working with National Inclusion, or blow up to the heighths of all glory with adoring multitudes and paparazzi camped on his front lawn; he can sing classics, new songs, obscure oldies, write all his own material, or never write another song. I'm along for the ride and I appreciate how cool he really is. Not transitory/popular cool, but inner cool. I trust that he knows who he is and what he wants and how to get it. I draw no lines in the sand. I'm not open to disappointments regarding what he does with his singing stardom. I just ask for more recorded music to increase his repertoire and my choices. And I'm going to get it! YAY!!!

If others have a limit to what they can listen to and enjoy, that's their deal. I just don't know why we all have to suffer through hearing about it over and over and over again.

I don't post often anymore (not that I ever did I guess! :cryingwlaughter: ) but I had to comment on this one!

kf - you've said it all for me and quite perfectly too!

So glad this board is here! :hugs-1:

From Notacanuck at CH

Reuters.com

Susan Boyle`s `I Dreamed a Dream` is Amazon.com Music`s Largest CD Pre-Order

Here`s a list of the Top 10 CD pre-orders of all time in the Amazon.com Music

Store:

1. Susan Boyle, "I Dreamed a Dream" (2009)

2. Norah Jones, "Not Too Late" (2007)

3. U2, "No Line on the Horizon" (2009)

4. Bruce Springsteen, "Magic" (2007)

5. Dixie Chicks, "Taking the Long Way" (2006)

6. Coldplay, "Viva La Vida" (2008)

7. U2, "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" (2004)

8. David Cook, "David Cook" (2008)

9. Diana Krall, "Quiet Nights" (2009)

10. Clay Aiken, "A Thousand Different Ways" (2006)

From Notacanuck at CH

Reuters.com

Susan Boyle`s `I Dreamed a Dream` is Amazon.com Music`s Largest CD Pre-Order

Here`s a list of the Top 10 CD pre-orders of all time in the Amazon.com Music

Store:

1. Susan Boyle, "I Dreamed a Dream" (2009)

2. Norah Jones, "Not Too Late" (2007)

3. U2, "No Line on the Horizon" (2009)

4. Bruce Springsteen, "Magic" (2007)

5. Dixie Chicks, "Taking the Long Way" (2006)

6. Coldplay, "Viva La Vida" (2008)

7. U2, "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" (2004)

8. David Cook, "David Cook" (2008)

9. Diana Krall, "Quiet Nights" (2009)

10. Clay Aiken, "A Thousand Different Ways" (2006)

I was just going to post this. This is surprising to me, for one thing how does it compute with the sales of ATDW? Plus I would have thought that MOAM would have tripled the presales for it. However it is great to see Clay in the top ten.

Hats off to ya, keepingfaith. The following clip from your post is exactly what I have wanted to say but couldn't get into less than 5 pages. Well said !!!! :clap:

To be clear, Clay can go on Broadway again, do a talk show, take a recurring role in a TV comedy, record every couple of years and tour occasionally while spending most of his time working with National Inclusion, or blow up to the heighths of all glory with adoring multitudes and paparazzi camped on his front lawn; he can sing classics, new songs, obscure oldies, write all his own material, or never write another song. I'm along for the ride and I appreciate how cool he really is. Not transitory/popular cool, but inner cool. I trust that he knows who he is and what he wants and how to get it. I draw no lines in the sand. I'm not open to disappointments regarding what he does with his singing stardom. I just ask for more recorded music to increase his repertoire and my choices. And I'm going to get it! YAY!!!

As for the Gala and all the gatherings and shopping surrounding it :twinklewhore: , my daughter and I had a wonderful time and are so glad we were able to go this year. It was well worth the trip. Clay has never disappointed ME and this event was no exception. :cocktail:

:Iluvclaysbutt:

Fewer people (not just fans--people in general) bought their music from Amazon in 2003. Most of Clay's MOAM sales happened in the stores. That's my theory.

Good point! Except I think that MOAM was #1 on Amazon foir quite a long time and in the top 10 for ages.

Hmmmm...I was scrolling through MSNBC and was distracted by Adam Lambert french-kissing some girl (the boy does seem to be obsessed with his own tongue), and he said something I think is apropos to Clay (or any artist, really):

“There’s a feeling of entitlement (with the fans) because they voted to get us where we are. But you know what? I am responsible for what I created on the show — you voted for what I created, and thank you, but I created it, you didn’t”

Hold your hair back - I'm doing analogies again! I think of performing artists sort of like chefs (what can I say, I've been distracted by Mark Dacascos on DWTS - he is seriously tasty - and no, I have no idea if he can cook). I feel like some fans think of Clay as a catering chef - ultimately he needs to provide what you order. There may be a little leeway in the choices (I want chicken; do what you want to to it but it must be CHICKEN! No beef, no alligator, no tofu!) but the chef has a bridezilla and minions to please and the other guests better learn to suck it up. I think Clay is the chef of his own restaurant - doesn't look like franchising is in his future (no commercial KFC for Clay - even though he probably likes KFC as long as the chicken's hot), no Bobby Flay/Morimoto/Wolfgang Puck empire, but a nice place that has had some nice write up, a fair number of locals like it, and some know and love the chef's food enough to eat off menu (like the Gala).

<snip> It's been 7 years people, if you don't know Clay Aiken by now...you never will.<snip>

:cryingwlaughter:

aikim, I googled your error message (which is usually quite helpful) and found this for you:.

ldyj, I imagine that you are very good at the reference desk *g*

I think combining these two observations makes for another interesting comparison to a legal distinction:

Hold your hair back - I'm doing analogies again! I think of performing artists sort of like chefs (what can I say, I've been distracted by Mark Dacascos on DWTS - he is seriously tasty - and no, I have no idea if he can cook). I feel like some fans think of Clay as a catering chef - ultimately he needs to provide what you order. There may be a little leeway in the choices (I want chicken; do what you want to to it but it must be CHICKEN! No beef, no alligator, no tofu!) but the chef has a bridezilla and minions to please and the other guests better learn to suck it up. I think Clay is the chef of his own restaurant - doesn't look like franchising is in his future (no commercial KFC for Clay - even though he probably likes KFC as long as the chicken's hot), no Bobby Flay/Morimoto/Wolfgang Puck empire, but a nice place that has had some nice write up, a fair number of locals like it, and some know and love the chef's food enough to eat off menu (like the Gala).

The difference between an employee and an independent contractor. An employee works at the employer's direction whereas an independent contractor works at his/her own discretion to create a result within certain boundaries. In other words, "you don't own me" is appropriate as Clay or any other artist is akin to an independent contractor with their buying public (* "You Don't Own Me" just happens to be another song I love too; another old soul, musically who is completely in love with "Moon River"*)

I'm sending this to Eva right now but here's a sample (now could you please answer my 20 questions question, please?)

Moon River mp3 - 7MB

Scarlett -- GAH ... AWESOME ... GAH!!! Thank you ... :wub:

Caro :listen:

:yeahthat:

Scarlett THANK YOU!! I've had MR on rewind for the last two hours :lilredani:

I love 'em all :)

LOVE the new photos!

hugsblinking.gif

I don't always like Clay's hair (but mine looks like shit most of the time).

I don't always like his clothes (but I wear sweat pants and t-shirts so who am I to complain?).

I don't always like his song choices (but there is no song God decreeing my personal choices better than Clay's).

I don't ever feel the need to dump all over Clay for any of these totally inconsequential things.

If only some of these raging bitches felt the same.

Fewer people (not just fans--people in general) bought their music from Amazon in 2003. Most of Clay's MOAM sales happened in the stores. That's my theory.

Good point! Except I think that MOAM was #1 on Amazon foir quite a long time and in the top 10 for ages.

Djs111 linked this article at CH: top 10 preorders as of 2007, which says,

SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 29, 2007--Amazon.com (NASDAQ: AMZN) today announced that Norah Jones' third album, "Not Too Late" has become the most pre-ordered album of all time on Amazon.com, marking the second time she has graced the online retailer's top 10 pre-order list. "Not Too Late" will be released on January 30, 2007 and is currently available for pre-order on Amazon.com (www.amazon.com) for $9.99 -- a savings of 47 percent.

Other top 10 pre-ordered albums on Amazon.com include (in no order): Jones' second album "Feels Like Home"; "Taking The Long Way" by Dixie Chicks; "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" and "The Best of 1990-2000" by U2; "Bridge Over Troubled Water/This Is The Night" and "Measure of a Man" by Clay Aiken; "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" by The Beatles; and "Awake" by Josh Groban.

Since ATDW was already out by then, I don't see how it could now have surpassed MOAM and BOTW/TITN. Something is definitely off.

Hmmmm...I was scrolling through MSNBC and was distracted by Adam Lambert french-kissing some girl (the boy does seem to be obsessed with his own tongue), and he said something I think is apropos to Clay (or any artist, really):

“There’s a feeling of entitlement (with the fans) because they voted to get us where we are. But you know what? I am responsible for what I created on the show — you voted for what I created, and thank you, but I created it, you didn’t”

:word:

I'm sure I've posted this before, but I'll say it again. Awhile back at TWoP, maybe a year or so ago, a convo started about Clay on one of the threads, and a whole bunch of people posted that he had the best voice ever on AI, but they just didn't like his song choices. Trouble is, when you start reading what people think he should be singing, it runs the gamut. Hardcore fans, or casual fans, or even non-fans, every person seems to have his or her own very definite ideas about what Clay should record, and there's no agreement whatsoever as to what that is. So I think you are right on. What people want from Clay is a true jukebox, where they could just choose the songs he sings. Too bad the cost would be prohibitive, or he could just start an all requests, all the time website.

In the meantime, I'll go with the old stand-by--whatever he wants to sing, I'm there.

Interesting JMH. I've always found it fascinating that Clay can be sceen in so many different ways and every side was passionate that their way of seeing him was correct. And I think the same things happens with not just his persona but also Clay Aiken the singer. It's fascinating but it's definitely a formula for leaving a whole bunch of people on the outside looking in.

I don't know normally watch the results shows of reality shows (other than SYTYCD) because I find it 75% filler. But I did watch Dancing with the stars last night cuz well.. I hate the Yankees and SYTYCD didn't come on. heee. As I've said many times I'm not really into modern music but every now and then someone will capture my attention, mostly through uncoventional ways. I thought Nora Jones was fantastic last night. That will probably be the first non clay album I'v bought since Fanny's first. Yep it's been a lot of years.

From here on out, even if Clay is caught humming along to ANYTHING, some fans will speak out against that song immediately and forcefully, to let him know that it should NOT be on that next CD.

Or damn the song with faint praise, or trivialize it with imagined meaning to Clay, while carefully explaining how very very wrong it is.

Spectator sport now, really! :-O

I would be surprised if some are not trying to ferret out recording studio or arranger or band info - but that usually gets disseminated through back channels for a while, if anything is discovered.

Are you telling me that some people are issuing their regular ultimatums to Clay again? I don't know whether to :cryingwlaughter: or :cry4:.

Are the music industry experts in the fandom sharing their expertise as to the path toward his greater success, and is Clay not playing along with their career plan? Is he again ignoring their pronouncements on the songs he should record? If so, it's definitely a :hahaha: for me.

To be sure, I'll always be a fan of Clay Aiken. Can't be sure I'll always be on fan boards, because if FCA ever went away (God forbid), I'd probably confine myself to lurking at the OFC for status reports. I certainly wouldn't associate myself with places that censor some speech while giving wide berth to ripping Clay Aiken to shreds, or boring me to tears with faux authoritarianism over his career choices. There's a difference between expressing honest opinion and grinding the old ax. Oy vey!

If others have a limit to what they can listen to and enjoy, that's their deal. I just don't know why we all have to suffer through hearing about it over and over and over again.

keeping... thank you for saying this so well. You are right on... I love the man and it's fun to watch where he goes with his life and career. He could be just sittin' on the porch swing and I could watch him for hours. :cryingwlaughter:

I don't always like his clothes (but I wear sweat pants and t-shirts so who am I to complain?).

I don't always like his song choices (but there is no song God decreeing my personal choices better than Clay's).

I don't ever feel the need to dump all over Clay for any of these totally inconsequential things.

wanda... Yeah that ^^^^^

Twitter.....Clay just thanked me for helping win the Cookie challenge

Clay Aiken Thanks to everyone that voted in the Christie Cookie Charity Giveaway. Your votes were enough to put us back in the top spot!! A $10,000 check was presented to the National Inclusion Project last weekend at their annual gala. This would not have b...een possible without you all.

I know it was his team but a girl can dream!

I'm sending this to Eva right now but here's a sample (now could you please answer my 20 questions question, please?)

Moon River mp3 - 7MB

Scarlett -- GAH ... AWESOME ... GAH!!! Thank you ... :wub:

Caro :listen:

:yeahthat:

Ditto! I can feel those low notes down to my toes!

Kim

Reading through the last couple of pages, I was thinking..."They're talking about meeeee!" I'm pretty sure that I'm one of "those" bitches that some of ya can't stand...I'm one of the ones who wanna tell Clay what to sing and what not to sing (and how to have his hair and not have his hair, lol). Hopefully, the difference is that I'm not delusional enough to think that he's actually gonna listen to me, lol.

:blush:

Nothing, absolutely nothing in my past musically would indicate that I would fall in love with Clay Aiken singing songs. I don't have a history with crooners, I mean, Neil Diamond was always too crooner for me. Not a fan of Sinatra, or Elvis either, after he became a crooner. I did enjoy the All Shook Up era when I was a kid watching my teenage cousins bopping around to Elllllllllll-vis. But the balladeer Elvis had me moving up the radio dial. All the Tony Bennett, Bobby Darin, swinger singers totally escaped me. When I heard Paula Abdul say that Clay would sing Mack the Knife that night on Idol, I groaned. I really did groan. So, what happened was that he completely kicked my ass with that one. And that one long last note. He owns that note. And it was saloon, but transcendent saloon. He HAD me with that last note. So do I want him to sing I Left My Heart in San Francisco, or Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime? Unh-unh. On one hand, I'm not a fan of the balladeers; on the other hand, I'd lie down in the middle of road for Clay Aiken to record Mack the Knife. So who do I pay for my time on the couch here? Ha! (Maybe I just answered my own question! :tomato: ) I recently read a Paul McCartney interview where he was asked what music he likes to listen to. His answer was Nat Cole. He only recently discovered him and can't get enough. However, I can't imagine Macca singing Ramblin' Rose!!! Okay, enough tangential thinking for me tonight.

While I didn't have the exact same thoughts, I related a lot to your post KF because I sometimes feel like I oughta be paying for couch time but it's easier to just say, "WTF" and hang on for the ride. Admittedly, the ride has been a little "bumpy" at times but I'm here for the duration.

I'll never be in the "he can sing the telephone book" club like many of you are. Wish I was. I'm not. I loved the majority of the OMWH CD, however I fast-forwarded through a lot of the ATDW CD. Sawry. I do have this feeling that OMWH is going to remain my favourite Clay CD, along with my Toronto JBT CD, lol. I'm not going to angst over what's coming on the next CD. This is gonna sound kinda bad but I'm feeling kinda "resigned" that it's going to be a majority of cover ballads. I am feeling a splash of "hopeful" for some variety and maybe 2 or 3 uptempo songs in the mix. I did enjoy both MEAY and MR at the gala but I would not be my preference to have a whole album of just ballads HOWEVER I'm not stupid enough to think that I have any say in the matter, lol. As far as any future concerts go, Clay does seem to enjoy the crowd reactions to "uptempo" "fun stuff" in concerts, so I'm not anticipating that, that will suddenly change. Whatever it is. I'll be there.

I only listen to lyrics when Clay sings. I'm not sure why.

Cuz you can actually understand them? :hahaha:

Seriously, it's something about the way he gets right into the song and sings it from the heart.

Oh crap. I sounded like a sap for a second there!

:yow:

Because (checks calendar) - it is time for some of the fans to start picking out the songs/eras/styles/etc. that better not be on Clay's next CD.

From here on out, even if Clay is caught humming along to ANYTHING, some fans will speak out against that song immediately and forcefully, to let him know that it should NOT be on that next CD.

Or damn the song with faint praise, or trivialize it with imagined meaning to Clay, while carefully explaining how very very wrong it is.

:chair:

But do they really expect that if they bitch and moan loud enough that he will finally see the light and sing what they think is marketable? It's been 7 years people, if you don't know Clay Aiken by now...you never will.

Thanks. I now have "If You Don't Know Me By Now" stuck in my head, lol. Unfortunately, I'll never know him. None of us will. One can drive themselves insane trying to figure the man out. Ain't gonna happen, lol.

As for your other question...no, I don't think the complainers really think it will change anything. IMO, it's just to hear themselves. I'm still learning to "tune them out," but that really is the best thing to do. If people stop arguing with them (or for that matter, commenting on them), I'm hoping that some will realize that they are talking in a vacuum.

It's not so much liking to "hear myself" as it is "venting frustrations". :shrug: Am I getting sucked away soon?

:Ahh:

You know, we're starting to get close to the end of the thread (finally!). Do we have any suggestions for thread titles?

I kinda like the one we have!

:rainbowsmile:

I'm gonna miss it! :sniff:

All I got right now is: "We'll never, ever know him cuz he's like a box of chocolates with a pickle on the side". :cryingwlaughter:

Silly question. Where did the idea for naming these linear threads come from? CH? I've noticed that with the exception of RHT, all of the boards with linear threads do the same thing. Just curious as to how it all started.

Damn straight he's ignoring me. :hissy:

I certainly wouldn't associate myself with places that censor some speech while giving wide berth to ripping Clay Aiken to shreds, or boring me to tears with faux authoritarianism over his career choices.

Gee...lemme guess.... :thinking:

There's a difference between expressing honest opinion and grinding the old ax. Oy vey!

Which do I do? I know some feel I do the later. I hope for most that it comes across that I'm doing the former. I try to do my bitching with with a sense of humour.

You are a sap through and through, lol. Sometimes I think he's cool. Sometimes he frustrates the hell outta me, lol...but I still love him. :blush:

There. I've used up my sap quota for the day.

Rutrow. :chair:

Rutrow again. :chair:

I'm sure I've posted this before, but I'll say it again. Awhile back at TWoP, maybe a year or so ago, a convo started about Clay on one of the threads, and a whole bunch of people posted that he had the best voice ever on AI, but they just didn't like his song choices. Trouble is, when you start reading what people think he should be singing, it runs the gamut. Hardcore fans, or casual fans, or even non-fans, every person seems to have his or her own very definite ideas about what Clay should record, and there's no agreement whatsoever as to what that is. So I think you are right on. What people want from Clay is a true jukebox, where they could just choose the songs he sings. Too bad the cost would be prohibitive, or he could just start an all requests, all the time website.

That sounds cool. Where can I get me one of those? I wanna Jukebox Clay I can stick a quarter in!

:rainbowsmile:

Twitter.....Clay just thanked me for helping win the Cookie challenge

Clay Aiken Thanks to everyone that voted in the Christie Cookie Charity Giveaway. Your votes were enough to put us back in the top spot!! A $10,000 check was presented to the National Inclusion Project last weekend at their annual gala. This would not have b...een possible without you all.

I know it was his team but a girl can dream!

Not sure if this has been posted?

http://www.ilovechristiecookies.com/contest/results.asp

CharityWinnersPageA.jpg

Oh and while I'm post-hoing.... I love the picture of Clay hugging the Spam bear. :wub:

I still wanna yell at somebody to move that damned teleprompter stand or tell Clay to stop standing behind it when he isn't using it!!!! :tantrum: