#4-Everything is mucho-good-o

Ansamcw

Well, crap! I could have seen the December 22 appearance live -- would have just been getting home from a final half day of work before my week long break. But the 26th? Probably driving back from my Mother's. Crap. He always does this to me -- I'll have the same problem for the Tyra appearance. I think I'll be pissed off and write Clay off because he certainly doesn't love me.

:blink:

Great news about the ET coverage of R&K! I can't recall ET covering a lot of guest hosts. Says to me that Clay Aiken is newsworthy. Of course, you know that whenever Clay gets good gigs, the CT's credit that to SAM, not RCA. Apparently, RCA controls everything in Clay's life--with the exception of anything positive. I suppose it's a given that the label was responsible for the DOOL scheduling change. After all, everyone knows that when it comes to power and influence, George Bush has nothing on Clive Davis.

I had a conversation with a publicist today, someone who routinely books TV talent on talk shows. I asked her, "What are your big 'gets,' the shows you celebrate getting a booking on?" Her immediate answer? "The View. Also Regis and Kelly." I asked about Leno, Letterman, etc., and she said that of course, any nationally television show is a big deal. Her answers only reinforced my impression that Clay's list of appearances is actually rather impressive.

I also had the opportunity to talk with some sound men. They work concerts and tv. I asked about the difference between using hand microphones and headsets. Interestingly, they said that if you ever see someone using a headset, they're almost always singing to a track, especially if they're dancing. It reminded me of Tyra and how production staff were impressed that Clay was actually going to sing live. Sadly, singing to track rather than singing live seems to have become the norm, rather than the exception. One of the guys said, "Milli Vanilli? They just got caught. But there are thousands out there just like them."

OK, I am going to post this here first, but my guest looks like she can't make it to Englewood, so I am going to list our good and very expensive tickets for sale for cots - Englewood, NJ Row D seats 2 and 4 (inside aisle seats) . cost $281 for both, I think row 7 or 8 maybe I will e-bay them or list them somewhere else in a couple of days.

My PM box is usually full, so you can either PM me somewhre else (CH/CV/RHT) just let me know your are interested.

Sometimes stuff sucks, I have great seats for my other shows, though.

I remember people complaining on all the boards about Clay not getting Racheal Raye, but Ruben was on there the other day and he didn't sing! He had to push his albium over her harpy like voice rambling away(Not a fan). He might as well as have been sitting inthe audience. He "cooked" with her, but basically, it was her cooking and him watching and getting to sample at the end. If he did not occaisionally hold up his album, you would have thought he was the biggest loser or something.

Well, the issue with MilliVinilli was that was notthem on a track either. I think singing to a track is still valid singing, unless you are just lipsyncing. Not everyone can afford to drag a band around with them. Wihich brings anotehr laugh of today on another board, where someone said Clay was making out good with these TV appearances, so he must be making money from them. DIdn't we calculate out the average cost to the performer with a band is 50K perTV appearance and they get paid scale by the show? Do they at least get a room from the shows?

Edited by playbiller

I thought SAM was, if not out to get Clay, certainly guilty of neglecting their duties towards him. But I guess they're the less of the evils when it comes to explaining Clay's appearances. :blink:

\...What makes me suspicious is that he describes promotion as "slim to none." I would bet there are a thousand artists who would beg to differ with the notion that appearances on Leno, Kimmel, GMA, Larry King, The View, Megan Mullalley, Regis and Kelly, Tyra Banks, Marta Stewart, Yahoo!, iTunes, MySpace, Wal-Mart, The AMA's, TV Guide Channel, People Magazine, KTLA, and commercials on shows like Oprah qualify as "slim to none."

Don't forget Larry King Live. Definitely not a standard stop for album promo. And look who else was on his week, during sweeps. (Of course that was part of the out-to-get-Clay movement, wasn't it? Wonder if he and Larry made out afterwards?)

If you can post "I'm a selfish bitch," why can't you post, "I'm not a selfish bitch"? KAndre you did good on that one.

Loved the radio bit with Ryan. Loved.

Didn't GBB post at the CH that Canada gets DOOL a day ahead of the US? Ansa, we may counting on you for a recap to tide us through the holiday weekend, eh.

Of COurse...I forgot all about that...shoot, now I have to watch it on christmas? heh the last time I watched Clay on Christmas was 2003.

Thanks, jmh123...though I admit I swing both ways on the selfish bitch thing...

Yeah, that thing from Shipwreck frankly sounds like it was dictated from inside the fandom.

Play, what did I tell you about parts of the fandom? Say it with me... psyyyyyyyyychoooooooo. Remember that!

Yay Scarlett! Icewine totally rocks! And just because we seem to always be forced to purchase large amounts of alcohol and carry it around with us and spend a lot of time in bars and restaurant that serve alcohol - that's just a coincidence. Really people.

Thanks, jmh123...though I admit I swing both ways on the selfish bitch thing...

Good point--me too. I should have said I'm not a selfish bitch about other artists having success in the music business. Except for a few.

I forgot to mention in my last post about how cool it is that ET is covering Clay's co-hosting gig on R&K this Friday! ITA with Jenna in that Clay Aiken is newsworthy! And you know what? I guess I don't really care who got him the gigs coming up in the next few weeks, I'm just extremely happy that he will continue to be on my TV, and very soon! YAY!

I had a conversation with a publicist today, someone who routinely books TV talent on talk shows. I asked her, "What are your big 'gets,' the shows you celebrate getting a booking on?" Her immediate answer? "The View. Also Regis and Kelly." I asked about Leno, Letterman, etc., and she said that of course, any nationally television show is a big deal. Her answers only reinforced my impression that Clay's list of appearances is actually rather impressive.

Yes, it certainly seems that Clay has hit the major appearances this go-round, and I'm certainly happy with the promotion this time. He wowed people in many different types of appearances, showed his smarts and his passion as well as his gorgeous voice, and I think impressed many people. Good for Clay!

I thought SAM was, if not out to get Clay, certainly guilty of neglecting their duties towards him. But I guess they're the less of the evils when it comes to explaining Clay's appearances. :blink:

It sure seems as if things like this turn on a dime within the fandom. Personally, I believe that so many fan's emotions are worn on their sleeves, that with a simple run through the washing machine, things change. *g* I love Clay dearly, don't get me wrong, but I try my best to keep on an even keel regarding those around Clay. It just makes sense. Duh.

Don't forget Larry King Live. Definitely not a standard stop for album promo. And look who else was on his week, during sweeps. (Of course that was part of the out-to-get-Clay movement, wasn't it? Wonder if he and Larry made out afterwards?)

BWAH!!!!!!!!!! And then, ewwwwwwwwww....

Of COurse...I forgot all about that...shoot, now I have to watch it on christmas? heh the last time I watched Clay on Christmas was 2003.

Some soaps aren't on Christmas Day proper. I'd check your local listings that week.

Topic: Love that Clay guy. He's neato.

{{{{{{{{{{couchie and computer}}}}}}}}}}}}

Oh, and I love selfish bitches, even if I don't understand the comments here either. *g*

\...What makes me suspicious is that he describes promotion as "slim to none." I would bet there are a thousand artists who would beg to differ with the notion that appearances on Leno, Kimmel, GMA, Larry King, The View, Megan Mullalley, Regis and Kelly, Tyra Banks, Marta Stewart, Yahoo!, iTunes, MySpace, Wal-Mart, The AMA's, TV Guide Channel, People Magazine, KTLA, and commercials on shows like Oprah qualify as "slim to none."

Don't forget Larry King Live. Definitely not a standard stop for album promo. And look who else was on his week, during sweeps.

Um.. no biggie, but I didn't forget Larry. :)

And by "singing to track," the sound guys I talked to meant lip synching... Apparently, lip synching (whether it's your studio processed voice or to someone else's voice altogether), is disturbingly common.

RE: Selfish bitch. Is that a reference to the animosity toward other artists (especially idols) on the other boards? I don't begrudge other artists success, but I'll admit, there are some whose airplay makes me angry, such as Paris Hilton.

At the same time, I don't necessarily enjoy reading about the success of other artists on the boards, unless it has a positive effect on Clay or signifies something good for him. Yeah, it's petty, but I don't read Clay boards to celebrate Carrie Underwood's numbers or to rejoice in Josh Groban's debut. But hey, if others want to do so, I won't question their right to do so. However, I won't exactly WORD them either.

OK, the selfish bitch reference....someone at a certain board posted the HDD results article HDD always publishes on Wednesdays, and that poster added congratulations to a couple of artists mentioned, whereupon a string of people followed saying they didn't want to hear about anyone but Clay and saying they were selfish bitches unable to celebrate anyone else's success. I was just so tempted to post, "I'm not a selfish bitch...," but I didn't want to be whacked with another trout. I'm complaining about all the complaining. :ph34r: Yes, I see the irony.

ETA: JennaZ, it isn't so much that I love hearing about everyone else as that I thought there was a big pile-on going on that the poster didn't deserve. I do get weary of the constant jealousy of others, AI contestants and others--so-and-so was on Ellen and Clay wasn't, Clive said something nice about so-and-so and not about Clay, and that kind of thing. It seems so petty. Yes, there are artists I resent, and no, I'm not a huge fan of a bunch of other artists. And yes, I'm being petty about people being petty.

Don't forget Larry King Live. Definitely not a standard stop for album promo. And look who else was on his week, during sweeps.

Um.. no biggie, but I didn't forget Larry. :)

Good lord, I am blind. I looked for it, and looked again. Sigh.

Edited by jmh123

Me, I'm just a bitch! But a happy one as opposed to a bitter one...and my response that jmh was complimenting mentioned that I didn't think there was only a finite amount of success to go around...

Yay Clay!

Thanks for the explanation you guys. I think I have the same reaction as jmh123. I definitely wouldn't enjoy it if people would post about other artist success in a rub your nose in it gesture...but I also am very tired of all the "grass is greener" attitude. I just think that some people react to what happens to other artist like all good things should only happen to Clay. They have to remember that behind every artist there is also a team that would try to push their aritst as far as they could...that is why Clay won;t always get the choice appearances...because other artist are trying to get booked also.

WARNING! NON-CLAY STORY FOLLOWS! SCROLL AT WILL! ;)

OMG. I love my daughters. Tonight Carrie had to write an essay for her English class. Something autobiographical. She entitled hers "Almost Champions" and told the story of being a part of a tournament fast-pitch softball team this past summer. They started out unknowns and ended up in the championship game in the last tournament. That was the third game of the second day of tournament play. Carrie had already pitched the first two games and the coach put her in again for the third. She was a trooper, but she got tired and he switched pitchers. Then he put her back in because the new pitcher was afraid of the big girls on the other team and asked to be taken out. THen he replaced her again when she walked a few batters. Then he put her back IN because the next pitcher couldn't find the plate.

She was exhausted and you could see her grimacing each time she released the ball. But she never complained. She never asked to come out. (In her essay she mentioned that she started making mistakes late in the game and it made her mad, even though she knew it wasn't her fault.)

We lost that last game and became 'almost champions' but the coach was in tears and all the girls were in tears and the parents were in tears....so very proud of the team.

And at the end of the game when the awards were being given out, the coach of the OTHER team offered special words of praise for Carrie! He said he hoped his team watched her and how she played with such heart.

Anyway, she wrote this wonderful essay---not about what I just wrote--not about her, but about the feeling of that summer and the experience of being a part of such a great group of girls and making new friends and of being 'almost champions'. She stood up in front of me and read it to me. And when she read this last sentence:

"I guess in the end the long hours of work and emotion paid off, but the most important thing was the feeling of love around the ten and under summer softball tournament team, the Blaze"...

..she stood there and looked at me with her eyes welling up and her chin quivering and then she smiled, came to sit on my lap and cried because she loved that team and summer SO much.

So we just sat there and took turns thinking of really cool things about that summer and the team. Soon we weren't sniffling anymore...we were giggling and guffawing!

I swear, this parenting thing is an emotional roller coaster ride! Even moreso than being a part of ClayNation! :lol:

Edited by muskifest

Muski, Seems to me you have a very nice family there, I won't say lucked out, because that would have denied your participation in the creation of it. That helps you keep the big picture of life. Perspective is a wonderful thing.

About the bitching - I thought you might be referning to my bitch remark about people who are now blaming Faye for the lack of a single on the radio, albeit indirectly. In contrast to above, this would be lack of perspective.

Other artists, I find them somewhat interesting for perspective. I have a Grobanite for a friend who cannot see Clay, (although she did love MCWL, heh, wonder how she acquired the CD, ahem). Oddly enough, I gave her another CD for her recent birthday, I wonder if she listened to it?

Other idols I find interesting, although I do find season 2 more interesting because I felt they were less manufactured than subsequent years. I think what fascinates me mostly about them is how they will turn out in the future. I see traits that may indicate that some will flame out pretty dramatically, others will hang on to their idol fame and use that over and over to keep a borderline career. s ome will grab the opportunities and squeeze them for all they are worth (Clay, for example).

The more dramatic flame outs may come from anyone who believes the hype - the hype has grown in the years and from some who fall for the temptations. I always think of it as the Darryl Strawberry temptation - the most incredibly talented kid who was offered drugs at every turn, squandered his amazing talent more than once because he was shoved into the spotlight with little or not serious guidance. I don't really blame him, I think he was too young and talented. I fear this will happen with some idols. I can see signs of alcohol issues with one, and the temptations of the fast life for another and living the hype as the fans fade away for another.

RE: Other artists. I'll admit, it can be hard not to be jealous of other artists' success. I remember the year when Kelly, Ruben and Fantasia got Grammy nominations while Clay did not. I actually felt like I'd been punched in the gut. It really hit me hard that year, perhaps because we'd had such a high from other things.

However, since then, I've become a bit more zen about these things. It helps, I think, to remember all the things Clay had:

He was the first idol to appear on the cover of Rolling Stone.

The first to have the cover of Teen People.

The first to have a solo cover on Entertainment Weekly.

More TV Guide covers (four including the duel covers) than any other idol.

The first to have his own network television special.

The first to have his own calendar.

The first to publish his autobiography.

The first to be a musical guest on Saturday Night Live.

All that, and more, in addition to 28 million in concert sales.

There's actually some reason to be jealous of Clay, and quite frankly, some fans of other idols have been.

As the years progress, it's inevitable that others will get things Clay will not get, just as he will get things the others don't. They are all different artists, with different sounds, different situations, different advantages and disadvantages. For me, it's not worth getting upset about others' success because it's tough to really compare them to one another. Clay is not like Kelly, nor is he like Ruben, Fantasia, Bo, Chris, Kellie, or Taylor. And for that, thank God!

Musikfest, great to hear about your daughter! Very touching story.

I thought you might be referning to my bitch remark about people who are now blaming Faye for the lack of a single on the radio, albeit indirectly. In contrast to above, this would be lack of perspective.

I missed this one. How in the world could Faye have had anything to do with that? Not that these notions people get have to actually make sense or anything....

JennaZ, I've had my moments of jealousy that hurt as well, definitely. You have made a lovely list--and as far as I know, a lot of those firsts are still not shared by more than one, if any other Idol contestants. I don't really keep up with any of them beyond reading the CH Idol forum, so please correct me if I'm mistaken here:

He was the first idol to appear on the cover of Rolling Stone.

The only other to have had a cover was Ruben--which turned out to be a poor seller. Taylor's never materialized, though it had been rumored.

The first to have the cover of Teen People. Any others? Carrie? Not sure....

The first to have a solo cover on Entertainment Weekly. Have there been any others? Not sure...

More TV Guide covers (four including the duel covers) than any other idol. Have any others had even one solo cover? Not sure....

The first to have his own network television special. First and only.

The first to have his own calendar. Meh--lots of those out now. And we can't even get a new one.

The first to publish his autobiography. Fantasia's the only other, so far. And Clay's the only one to make the NYTimes best-seller list, isn't he?

The first to be a musical guest on Saturday Night Live. Only Kelly still.

Was he the first to do a GMA Bryant Park concert? Taylor's the only other that I know of so far, and I think he got Clay's spot.

Edited by jmh123

I think Clayversity has a different perspective on following other artists than the CH does - the weekly numbers and promotion for other artists are all regular topics, because it all gives additional insight into the music business and whatnot. The board spent a lot of time during the drought discussing Clay's labelmate Christian Aguilera, for example. It's definitely a different, kinda free-for-all board culture.

In fact, there was a great post there yesterday about Josh Groban fans. Groban has ticket presales going on, and the poster compiled a bunch of comments from his fan board: renewal issues, password troubles, general unresponsiveness of the website management. All very similar to to what we've gone through with the OFC. Who runs Josh's fanclub? Big surprise - Clique. See, everything can eventually be related back to Clay somehow.

;)

Thanks for the explanation you guys. I think I have the same reaction as jmh123. I definitely wouldn't enjoy it if people would post about other artist success in a rub your nose in it gesture...but I also am very tired of all the "grass is greener" attitude. I just think that some people react to what happens to other artist like all good things should only happen to Clay. They have to remember that behind every artist there is also a team that would try to push their aritst as far as they could...that is why Clay won;t always get the choice appearances...because other artist are trying to get booked also.

Yes, the "grass is greener" attitude is what gets me too. People just simply KNOW that if Clay left RCA, he'd be treated MUCH better. I don't buy that argument, never did really. First of all, I can't see signs that he's been treated badly via RCA. But secondly...there's a reason the second word in "show business" is business. It can be extremely cutthroat, and if Clay stays with any of the major record labels, I'm guessing he might get a little more leeway. Maybe. For Clay to get true artistic freedom, though (such as to record what "he wants" heh), he'd probably have to go to a fairly small label, IMO...one that probably doesn't have the budget to pay for big TV appearances to promote him. JMO.

muski, what a great story about your daughter. It's so beautiful that you have a wonderful family.

Other idols I find interesting, although I do find season 2 more interesting because I felt they were less manufactured than subsequent years. I think what fascinates me mostly about them is how they will turn out in the future. I see traits that may indicate that some will flame out pretty dramatically, others will hang on to their idol fame and use that over and over to keep a borderline career. s ome will grab the opportunities and squeeze them for all they are worth (Clay, for example).

ITA with this. I tend to watch mostly the season two people, because I got "close" to them week after week, and I really haven't watched any of the other seasons since. But I do find it interesting to see which ones are going to take that jumping off point and make it into something bigger, or at least a working paycheck on a regular basis. It sure looks like Jennifer Hudson is going to be the next one -- featured on the cover of EW this week, with seemingly Oscar buzz about her performance in Dreamgirls. I also actually think Diana DeGarmo will keep a steady career going -- she's never seemed to be about the fame to me, more about the work. I like that.

As for watching other artists -- well, I appreciate it just because I LIKE so many other people. I want to share in other's success in the business. Do I compare them to Clay? I really don't think so. My main focus is Clay, no doubt, but I've always hated it when people say "I like so-and-so" and people jump all over them because it's on a Clay board, and the only discussion should be Claaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

The first to have the cover of Teen People. Any others? Carrie? Not sure....

Yes, I'm pretty sure Carrie has also had this cover.

The first to publish his autobiography. Fantasia's the only other, so far. And Clay's the only one to make the NYTimes best-seller list, isn't he?

I'd have to look it up, but I think Fantasia's did make the list too.

Was he the first to do a GMA Bryant Park concert? Taylor's the only other that I know of so far, and I think he got Clay's spot.

Carrie's had this too, I think it was the week before Taylor's appearance.

I'll have to study the rest of the list on my lunch hour today to check on the rest of those.

In Carrie's case, having a country album that's still selling almost a year later has gainer her a lot of appearances. But, to me, she's different -- different genre, heck, different sex (*g*) than Clay. So I just can't do the comparisons, as so many want to do.

___

Brought over from Simply Clay:

Kate Flannery's Office Blog (TV Guide)

What a day! It was a weird day. I met none other than American Idol star, runner-up and most successful alum Clay Aiken. It turns out that Mr. Aiken is a huge fan of The Office. Who would have guessed? We met at NBC. He treated me like a rock star. We took pictures, exchanged publicist numbers. He even tried to give me fake booze (for a photo op). Clay is doing a guest spot on longtime soap Days of our Lives. Somebody pinch... somebody! I have to say, it wasn't long ago that I was waiting on Randy Jackson at Kate Mantilini Restaurant in Beverly Hills. I've come along way, baby. It's pretty surreal.

I love this. Mr. "I don't follow celebrities" is star struck at meeting people on his favorite show. Heh. Good for him.

I lurved The Office blog entry sooooo much. And here's a little Office tidbit to chew on - many of the supporting actors on the show are also the writers. I believe this also includes the woman who wrote the blog entry. It would be tres cool if she could write a part for Clay.

The thing I like about JennaZ's list is that they were "firsts" and no one can take that away from Clay. Clay may not have been in the "first season" of AI, and he may not have come in "first" in season 2, but he has been the trailblazer. He set the benchmark in many ways. In spite of the success of other Idols and finalists, he is the one who is able to create "buzz" The CB used to have a thread where they posted all of Clays accomplishments and appearances (it's probably still there) and the things he did in that first year and a half were phenominal. I'm not sure any past or future Idols will be able to match that.

HUGE RANT AHEAD!!!

I am being very bitching today.

But I think I have a right.

A friend, at least I thought she was a friend, knew someone who knew someone who she thought could get us VIP tickets to Regis and Kelly. We were told we would probably not find out until a day or two ahead. I wasn't counting on it, but I was hoping - especially after the Kimmel debacle.

Anyway, night before last I got an email from her (she didn't even have the courtesy to call) to tell me her 24-year old daughter had decided she wanted to go so I was out of luck. She told me she was sorry but I couldn't possibly understand the special relationship with her daughter (I do. Its called never denying her anything). I felt like I did back in school when you would have plans with your friend and then the cute boy she had a crush on asked her out at the last minute and you got shoved aside in favor of him. I hated it then and it feels no better now.

This woman's daughter doesn't even like Clay. Not a hater, just doesn't like him so much and thinks her mother is nuts for being so obsessive over him. I think she only got interested in going because of the DWTS people.

Oh, and of course, she got the tickets. :glare:

This is a woman who has been one of my closest Clay friends and has become a real life friend. I like her daughter a lot (although I always thought she was beyond spoiled....). I still cannot believe she would do this to me and cannot see anything wrong with it.

She says she knew it would hurt me but it couldn't be helped. Couldn't be helped? When her daughter said she wanted to go, she could have said, sorry. She could have said I already asked Claygasm (well, she would have used my real name....). And her daughter - at 24 - should have been able to understand that.

Maybe I don't get it since I am not a parent, but I would never toss a friend aside because someone "better" came along. Makes me feel like a sack of garbage.

Those of you who are parents, would you do this to someone? Am I completely off base with my anger? I really want to know what you all think.