#4-Everything is mucho-good-o

Ansamcw

Man, that's a tough one.

I personally wouldn't have, but I can't imagine that my child would even ask that of me.

My very best friend and I do change plans on each other at the last minute, up to and including "dumping", but we're cool with that because out friendship is beyond individual events.

Mid-range friends? Oddly enough, I am more likely to stick with plans for middling friends simply because that deep understanding is not there.

The fact that she would say that she knew it would hurt you but did it anyway is where I draw the line. I don't hurt friends. Period.

(((claygasm)))

I can understand your disappointment....

In the same situation...I would honestly tell my daughter that I already made a commitment to a friend and maybe she could just get another ticket for herself. Now whether she will end up giving up the ticket will depend on how much she wants to see the DWTS winner but she would have to put her foot down and say she will only give me one ticket. I would hope that my daughter wouldn't be so petty as to say that. Its possible your friend has no choice in the matter because her daughter is being stubborn and is now just trying to put a positive spin to the situation...mother/daughter bonding...but really there are other things to bond over...

My very best friend and I do change plans on each other at the last minute, up to and including "dumping", but we're cool with that because out friendship is beyond individual events.

Mid-range friends? Oddly enough, I am more likely to stick with plans for middling friends simply because that deep understanding is not there.

This is a really good point, sometimes with family and really close firends you can afford to be inconsiderate cos you know the bond will always be there...That is why I think in a situation like this a person can afford to say to her daughter...nah, I have to honor mt word first...lets just do something else together on another time.

Sales update:

136. Clay Aiken, A Thousand Different Ways: 8,636 (397,526)

=============================================

Claygasm, all I can offer is a (((hug))). The situation sucks.

Sigh..no promo last week so understandable I guess...SO are people starting to christmas shop? Are people noticing more stocks in the shelves?

Hoping the R&K appearance this week will show an upward trend for next weeks totals. Then the Tyra and AMA appearances will be good for the upcoming shopping weekend...then I hope the EP will motivate walmart to put up better displays of all three products.

Well, I did see where K-Fed's sales numbers were something like 7,700 in total for two weeks, so it's all relative I guess. HA! Honestly, over 8,000 in a week with no promo appearances seems pretty good to me. I would expect to see a bump in next week's sales numbers from the Regis & Kelly appearance, b then again, what do I know?

BTW, it's U2's new CD for me next week - DAUGHTRY with have to do without my $$$$. :P

Well, I did see where K-Fed's sales numbers were something like 7,700 in total for two weeks, so it's all relative I guess. HA! Honestly, over 8,000 in a week with no promo appearances seems pretty good to me. I would expect to see a bump in next week's sales numbers from the Regis & Kelly appearance, b then again, what do I know?

BTW, it's U2's new CD for me next week - DAUGHTRY with have to do without my $$$$. :P

This is one CD drop I would be most eager to obaserve...I am really surprised that there wasn;t as much radio support for this or it didn;t send the single earlier to radio. It seem like RCA is counting on his AI fans to drive initial sales...

I am also curios as how well the rock stations will embrace this "band". It is so manufactured...it is so fake...that I wonder if it will get any respect. I actually liked Chris on AI and didn;t really mind his huge ego cos it goes with the rock persona...but his music was disappointing...very generic. I also think his need to promote the band instead of himself will backfire big time...its just so fake and reeks of marketing ploy.

I do think their pop rock sound has potential on CHR/pop and if it connects with an audience this may spawn a few radio hits. I just doubt it will open big on its first week.

I'm not a parent, but honestly, if I had to choose between a Clay friend and a daughter, I'd probably choose the daughter. She may be hoping that this is an opportunity for her daughter to begin to appreciate Clay, and if she did, that would give them something to bond over, or at the very least, help her daughter understand her passion. I can see why she'd give that relationship precedence. It's very disappointing, I know. She probably should have told you sooner. Ideally, she'd do something to make it up to you. However, a mother daughter relationship really is a very serious thing. hugs ((claygasm)) I do feel for you, though.

RE: Other idols. I do think that with every subsequent season, the idols tend to have a greater expectation of success, no matter where they finish. What constitutes "success" may vary, though. Many now have professional careers in show business, which they may not have had before. Quite a few, like Diana, Trenyce, Constantine and Frenchie have ended up on stage. Matt Metzger, Tamyra Grey, and Kimberly Caldwell have had some steady film and television work. Josh Gracin and Kimberley Locke have had decent CD sales. The opportunities are there. However, superstardom isn't necessarily in the cards for everyone. They all have the right to be ambitious, but I hope they realize that success is an achievement, not an entitlement.

If Clay went to another label, he may not necessarily have more freedom or a bigger promotional budget. However, it is possible that different personnel could have a different take on him, and thus a different approach to developing him and marketing his music. It could be better; it could be worse. It's hard to say. I don't hate RCA, but I'm open to the idea that another label could make a difference.

Loved that Office blog, too! It's great to see someone get fangirly, and who knows? Now that she's aware of his interest in the show, she'll find a way to get him on to it. I'd love to see him on it.

This is a really good point, sometimes with family and really close firends you can afford to be inconsiderate cos you know the bond will always be there...That is why I think in a situation like this a person can afford to say to her daughter...nah, I have to honor mt word first...lets just do something else together on another time.

First of all, sorry to hear about this Claygasm.

I think my take on it would be similar to Ansa's here, especially with the time fram involved. Let's put it this way...I've done similar situations to your friend, though not with a daughter, because I don't have kids. (Yes, you can smack me with a wet noodle later...) BUT -- I did it with weeks to spare, not at the last minute. I could NEVER do that in the last minute.

Hoping the R&K appearance this week will show an upward trend for next weeks totals. Then the Tyra and AMA appearances will be good for the upcoming shopping weekend...then I hope the EP will motivate walmart to put up better displays of all three products.

ITA with both you ladies. I do think that the R&K thing will give a nice bump, and I'm extremely hopeful that the EP will help all Clay's albums during the holiday season.

Here comes my blaspehmous statement though -- if Clay doesn't sell anymore ATDW's, I'm actually cool with that. I mean, he's gone GOLD. For many artists, that would be a dream. I guess I'm just looking at this from the "glass is half full" perspective -- he's done incredibly well with this album, but just not at the level of post-AI hysteria. At this point, his career may be a slow and steady kind of thing, and I personally like that.

Hey bottlecap, thanks for the reminder. Bad U2 fan that I am, I didn't know they were coming out with this! (Bought the book already though...) I just put that on my Amazon wishlist and told my husband about it.

I can't wait for R&K tomorrow, especially if he's going to be with the DWTS people. I wonder if they will have dancing lessons for Clay?

ETA:

I don't hate RCA, but I'm open to the idea that another label could make a difference.

Oh, I am too. I think a fresh set of eyes in regards to Clay could be a wonderful thing for him. OTOH, the fresh set of eyes could try to push Clay into something he's just NOT. We just don't know what will happen with him, and that's what's frustrating -- I think some fans believe that getting out of RCA's clutches would automatically signal something better. It might; it might not. And unless these fans are part of the boardroom negotiations for Clay (God help us if THAT happens), they will not know.

Claygasm, I'm sorry your friend disappointed you. Most parents, have a special bond with their children and most spoil their children, at least I know I'm guilty. The behavior of both your friend and her daughter seem pretty inconsiderate to me, it's a broken promise, and that hurts. If you've made a commitment to a friend, it seems to me that should be explanation enough, and a 24 year old daughter should be able to handle some disappointment. If the situation were reversed, I wonder how she would feel.

Geez, I sound like dear Abby.

{{{Claygasm}}}. It isn't clear to me whether the daughter is the one who actually obtained the tickets. If so, then I suppose she could feel like she has first dibs on them, but the way you describe the e-mail it makes it sound as if the mother made the choice. In your shoes, I would definitely be :ph34r: at this friend. She could have at least called rather than e-mailed. Atinal, your response is worthy of Dear Abby, and I mean that in a good way.

Dear atinal:

I will be A friend will be going to meet up with some other friends to be wild and rowdy at a hot singer's concert happily and quietly supportive of a fine young man Christmas concert. How much icewine should we they import from Canada and what are the bail limits in NYC?

Not a Pod Person Yet

And y'all can just copy down just about everything ldyjocelyn said and put my name afterward. I believe in plagarizing from sensible people!

wow, look at all you guys wrote. SO much to talk about.

Sorry, Claygasm, I understand that it stinks, just as it stunk in highschool with boys. I wanted to go as well, but I applied forthe tickets the wrong way, even thought I applied immediately, seeing it posted for the first time - I did not know that you don't do what they tell you on the web site. Ah well, there is still the UNICEF lighting, I figure that is where my Saturday will go, I will go alone, but I willl be there. SO far, it just looks cold. I wonder if you ccan bring a chair?

Rolling Stone Cover - there was a big rumor last year that Kelly would be on the cover, but it turned out to be a half page article about her truck. Oddly enough, I think it has actually become less likely that Clay will ever appear on there again. Seems people are more invested in the cool factor.

Album sales - I still think this album iwll go platinum by early next year, if Christmas sales do not pick up. I really think that the promotion is not like everyone else's and some fans can not let that go, they expect ABC and got ZYX - I thihnk that the store associations are costly and that is where the money went, sort of an experiment in sales. I don't think I ever saw as many different simultaneous promootions. Of course it would have gone better if the distributors were on the ball. I don't thinkit was a big plot, just that distributors are guys and don't really have thier fingers on the pulse, just your usual incompetent outsourcers (spoken by a semi-competent outsourcer). My dream promotion onthis album to give it legs - a Valentine's special.

Board cultures evolve - Clay is the main topic on CH because it evolved from TWOP, that had separate threads and Clay was just one of them. CLayversity is more conversational, but a bit obsessed by numbers because it came from the HDD thread on RHT, which was origianally for numbers only, but as the board was fracturing, there were different groups forming and that one formed as a family. There is a lot of personal talk on CV, sometimes too much, because I could not even attempt to keep up with that board, it flies by so fast. I notice since so many people came over from CV to CH, there is a lot more personal talk onthe board and a whole lot more postwhoring, people not realizing they are only supposed to post once a page, but they post over and over and over. Mostly it is not very interesting stuff either. I do it on the idol threads and the political threads because they are small, but on main, it seems too much, especially when it is so personal. I am not sure what the board culture is supposed to be here - I guess since it is so small, it is still evolving. CB went under a major revision when CLayNation got pregnant, they divided the board up into long term threads, personal threads (tha people still do not use for personal stuff, and the street which is supposed to be used for Clay news, yet gets used for everything.

Other idols - Daughtry will be interesting because I don't see him with a large internet presence, like some of the others - i.e. Carrie, even Taylor. I know we were expecting allkinds of bells and whistles in promotion with the press release, but it does not seem to have happened. I wonder if part of the problem is too many people out there. And what is it with these appearances sans music - fir Ruben and Rachael Ray them Fantasia on Tyra.

Idol books. See Clay not only outsold Fantasia, he buried Randy's and Simon's books. I think it is amusing that Taylor is writing, and Bo is soliciting ideas from his fans to write his book. I am not saying, CLay did it first, no one else should write one, I just wonder where Taylor is going to find time (or will his be dictated?). Oddly enough, I always thought Clay wrote a goodly part of his book. Fantasia will always be the first for a bio film onlife time. I do expect Kellie's next, her story just keeps getting moreand more dramatic.

I believe in plagarizing from sensible people!
Well, I guess this means I'm safe from being quoted in a KAndre post! :P

As I wrote in a PM to Claygasm...(and I know this friend and her daughter, too)...if I'd made plans to do this with a friend and at the last moment my daughter wanted to go---not because of Clay, but because she found out somebody else she likes was going to be on the show, I'd:

1. Tell my darling daughter that if I could get three tix instead of just two I would try my darndest.

2. If, however, my 'source' could only come through with the two originally requested for me and my friend, "I'm sorry, honey, but we've been planning this. But let's find something else soon in New York that we could do together!"

3. Suggest that my daughter suck it up and take a lesson if she got all pissy and pouty about not going. This is NOT a daughter who usually wants to go to see Clay. In this case, to me it seems that she merely wanted to go because of the DWTS part....

I guess I'd be looking at this as a parent 'walking her talk' type thing. I want my kids to take their relationships and the commitments made in them seriously. Often one of my kids comes to me with that age-old "Mom, Maddie asked me to go to the A's game with her, but I told Grace yesterday I'd come over and help her watch her little sister and order in pizza and look at a DVD! I wanna go to the game!", etc.

Guess there are still lessons to be learned at age 24 as well as 11, huh?

Thanks for the feedback guys. I feel a bit more justified in my feelings now.

I really did wonder if I was totally off base. No matter how much I can think I know how I would feel in that role, having never been in it I can't really.

I'll get over it - eventually. :glare: The funny thing is, I am not so much disappointed in not going, as I had never counted on that. I am more disappointed in my friend's actions and that she claims she can't see what she did that was wrong.

Oh well. Life goes on.

But is it wrong of me to hope she ends up sitting behind a camera and is unable to see a thing???? B)

ETA: And I hope he is wearing glasses. She HATES him in glasses! (Ok, maybe now I am getting just plain evil..... :ph34r: )

Edited by Claygasm

I hear even if you can't see anything, you can still feel Clay in a room. It seems some people flew from NC to California to see Kimmel and ended up behind cameras. Such is the luck of some, they did not seem upset about it though. I will just keep trying for local stuff though.

As I was reading someone asking why Clay was not on everyshow today (we knew someone would use that phrase eventually), I realized how Claycentric some people's world is. It is kind of shocking, since I am a priorities first person and the election has been distracting. I would love to post that there was an election and Clay did not get elected to anything either, but I would certainly get in trouble for that one, heh. I guess that some people do not understand why Clay is not everything to everyone. I like the guy, but I also realize that there have to be other guests on shows and there are only so many slots. Well, I will just wander off with my CD and go present shopping, have a good day, people.

As I was reading someone asking why Clay was not on everyshow today (we knew someone would use that phrase eventually), I realized how Claycentric some people's world is. It is kind of shocking, since I am a priorities first person and the election has been distracting. I would love to post that there was an election and Clay did not get elected to anything either, but I would certainly get in trouble for that one, heh.

:P

It is kind of shocking how Claycentric some people's world is. I also think there is an inflated sense of his status in the entertainment world. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying he's not a star. The fact that he gets so many great appearances attests to his position as a bona fide celebrity. However, I just don't think he's quite at the level where he or his label can demand anything and expect to get it. Some fans seem to think that if he's not doing X, Y, or Z, it's because the label is trying to keep him down. However, it may not be that simple. It's possible that not every show can accommodate his schedule, or can even appreciate his drawing power.

RE: TV Guide Covers. Ruben did get one the first time Clay got one. Of course, rumors are that Clay outsold his, which may explain why Clay got three more and Ruben hasn't had any.

Clay has set the bar, and in some ways, I suspect that the reason other idols have received book deals, calendar deals, and other similar things is because of Clay's success.

It's interesting that when Ruben won, Clay actually was treated more like a co-winner, or in some cases, the actual winner, by the media. He just seemed to have more press coverage (first RS cover, EW cover) and as many or more television appearances. Releasing his album first certainly helped foster that impression. At this time, Taylor seems to be treated only as one of many idols to come off the show, especially with Kellie, Taylor and Katherine getting early release dates and media exposure, too. Of course, it's too early to tell what his full promotional plan will be. However, it has struck me as odd that there seems to have been very little done to protect his status as the Idol winner.

Edited by JennaZ

My theory is that, at this point, 19 et al could give a rat's ass about what happens after the tour. The show, which was initially set-up to find musical talent, is now the end-all and be-all in itself, and what happens to resulting "talent" found is not even a consideration any more. Compared to what they're making in ad revenues for having a top rated show, any income from management and record deals must be tiny by comparison. The Winner doesn't have to be proven to be the bestest of all times, because that's not even the point anymore. In fact, I imagine the evil Simons, Nigels and Kens love all the mentions the show is getting as part of the current Idol releases, because it keeps AI in the press even as this Season 6's fresh meat is getting cast.

My theory is that, at this point, 19 et al could give a rat's ass about what happens after the tour. The show, which was initially set-up to find musical talent, is now the end-all and be-all in itself, and what happens to resulting "talent" found is not even a consideration any more. Compared to what they're making in ad revenues for having a top rated show, any income from management and record deals must be tiny by comparison. The Winner doesn't have to be proven to be the bestest of all times, because that's not even the point anymore.

Quite frankly, I think that's kind of always been the case (although technically, 19 makes money from network license fees, not from ad sales. Ad sales are what the network gets). That's why these theories that 19 needed to sabotage Clay's career never really held water for me. The fact that he outsold Ruben had no effect on subsequent series ratings. The success of various idols is good for the show in the sense that it makes more people want to audition. However, the show doesn't really need every winner to be a superstar.

My theory is that, at this point, 19 et al could give a rat's ass about what happens after the tour. The show, which was initially set-up to find musical talent, is now the end-all and be-all in itself, and what happens to resulting "talent" found is not even a consideration any more. Compared to what they're making in ad revenues for having a top rated show, any income from management and record deals must be tiny by comparison. The Winner doesn't have to be proven to be the bestest of all times, because that's not even the point anymore. In fact, I imagine the evil Simons, Nigels and Kens love all the mentions the show is getting as part of the current Idol releases, because it keeps AI in the press even as this Season 6's fresh meat is getting cast.

A big, obese WORD to al of this, bottle! Maybe in the beginning the producers thought it would be cool to find a big talent via the show....but IMO that's so yesterday now! The show itself is the moneymaker. If the 'winner' never makes it big, that won't matter----people will STILL tune in next time to the next batch of hopefuls!

PS. I love Clay Aiken. He's my whole world. Life is meaningless without him. I have nothing if not for him. If he's not on my teevee every day, I'm writing the President to protest. I have time to do that because Clay is my world.

PPS. He continues to ignore my phone calls, though.

PPSS. Clay, that is....the President, however, keeps trying to get me to spill Clay's secret: How to put the country under a spell so that everything he does is WONDERFUL! :lol:

PS. I love Clay Aiken. He's my whole world. Life is meaningless without him. I have nothing if not for him. If he's not on my teevee every day, I'm writing the President to protest. I have time to do that because Clay is my world.

PPSS. Clay, that is....the President, however, keeps trying to get me to spill Clay's secret: How to put the country under a spell so that everything he does is WONDERFUL! :lol:

KAndre quotes more sensible stuff from muski...

DirecTV Heralds in the Holiday Season

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--DIRECTV, the nation’s leading satellite television service provider, heralds in the holiday season with Songs of Praise for Christmas, a 90-minute television special hosted by Grammy Award-Winner Amy Grant and NASCAR legend Darrell Waltrip. This all-new Christmas special debuts November 24 exclusively on DIRECTV Channel 103 and will run continuously through the month of December. Featured performances from celebrated artists and choirs include Clay Aiken, Grammy-Award winners Nicole C. Mullen and Michael W. Smith, as well as the famed Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir.

A follow-up to the tremendously popular Songs of Praise debut last Easter, Songs of Praise for Christmas will take viewers on a musical journey through the story of Christmas. DIRECTV viewers will be treated to Clay Aiken’s rendition of Silver Bells, Nicole C. Mullen’s performance of O Come O Come Emmanuel, and Michael W. Smith’s Silent Night. The special will also feature inspirational performances from choirs around the country including the Brentwood Baptist Church, Crystal Cathedral, the Hyde Park Baptist Church and the Anderson University Choral Group.

<snip>

Songs of Praise for Christmas is part of an ongoing DIRECTV initiative to bring more religious programming to DIRECTV subscribers. Beginning November 24, this 90-minute special will air on DIRECTV channel 103 continually through December 31. Songs of Praise for Christmas will premiere on DIRECTV’s channel 103 alongside a variety of other exclusive spiritual programs, including Sunday Masses from Notre Dame and The Very First Noel, an animated family program telling the story of Christmas, through out the month of December.

Tres cool. Wish I had DirecTV though...dang it.

Kandre, watch it. My head may explode if you keep complimenting my posts. OTOH, I may start posting things like "Clive Davis is a poopy, poopy man"...

I'd love to join more in the conversation, but I've got to run...

Heh. I just looked at my carefully planned work schedule for the rest of the year, and determined I don't have any 5 days workweeks until January. All that vacation that could have been used for possible Clay travels in the summer got pushed back until November and December. Awooo Hooo - I'll be home tomorrow to watch Regis & Kelly in real time! (Never thought I'd Wooo Hooo over R&K.... :P )

This is a long...loooong post cos y'all have been so chatty...YAY

First...Muski thanks for sharing your story about your daughter's essay...I think she is getting her mom's very fine writing skills.

Claygasm I've been thinking some more about your situation. I think it was easy for me to say that I would still honor my comittment to you because I do have a good relatioshp with my daughter and I know if I do disappoint her I can easily make it up to her by doing something else at another time. However, if your friend does not have a very good and close relationship with her daughter...maybe she was afraid to disappoint her cos this was a chance she felt she could not let go to do some bonding with her daughter. Its possible she felt she had a better relationship with you and that you can understand better than her daughter. I don't really know your friend and don't know if this will apply but this is just an alternate explantion...

Here comes my blaspehmous statement though -- if Clay doesn't sell anymore ATDW's, I'm actually cool with that. I mean, he's gone GOLD. For many artists, that would be a dream. I guess I'm just looking at this from the "glass is half full" perspective -- he's done incredibly well with this album, but just not at the level of post-AI hysteria. At this point, his career may be a slow and steady kind of thing, and I personally like that.
BLASPHEMY!!! off with her head!!! :D

Yup I guess that will be how I will look at it too...I just can't help hoping that he gets to sell the final 100k by the end of the year...pretty tough almost impossible to do...but I hope so anyway. :)

I don't hate RCA, but I'm open to the idea that another label could make a difference.

Oh, I am too. I think a fresh set of eyes in regards to Clay could be a wonderful thing for him. OTOH, the fresh set of eyes could try to push Clay into something he's just NOT. We just don't know what will happen with him, and that's what's frustrating -- I think some fans believe that getting out of RCA's clutches would automatically signal something better. It might; it might not. And unless these fans are part of the boardroom negotiations for Clay (God help us if THAT happens), they will not know.

The one good thing about going to a new label is that when Clay makes the negotiations he would be more experienced, and he would be going in as a multi-platinum artist not as a 2nd place winner of a rather new talent show..so he probably will have more leverage to have a better contract or more artistic control than what he had with RCA. I think what some fans have to be ready for is that when Clay has the artistic control he is looking for...that the musical direction he takes will not be what they are watiing for. He also may not become the big radio star they are hoping for. It's really not all about payola...payola only opens the door for you, the music still has to resonate with the target audience of the radio stations. So when the instant success does not happen who will they start to blame???

Dear atinal:

I will be A friend will be going to meet up with some other friends to be wild and rowdy at a hot singer's concert happily and quietly supportive of a fine young man Christmas concert. How much icewine should we they import from Canada and what are the bail limits in NYC?

Not a Pod Person Yet

And y'all can just copy down just about everything ldyjocelyn said and put my name afterward. I believe in plagarizing from sensible people!

yup and I believe in plagiarizing from FUNNY people.

I guess I'd be looking at this as a parent 'walking her talk' type thing. I want my kids to take their relationships and the commitments made in them seriously. Often one of my kids comes to me with that age-old "Mom, Maddie asked me to go to the A's game with her, but I told Grace yesterday I'd come over and help her watch her little sister and order in pizza and look at a DVD! I wanna go to the game!", etc.

Guess there are still lessons to be learned at age 24 as well as 11, huh?

YUP ITA..great way to put it.

ETA: And I hope he is wearing glasses. She HATES him in glasses! (Ok, maybe now I am getting just plain evil..... :ph34r: )
HEH....no problem there...I love glasses Clay. If he looks like UNC Clay, YUMMM

As I was reading someone asking why Clay was not on everyshow today (we knew someone would use that phrase eventually), I realized how Claycentric some people's world is. It is kind of shocking, since I am a priorities first person and the election has been distracting. I would love to post that there was an election and Clay did not get elected to anything either, but I would certainly get in trouble for that one, heh.

It is kind of shocking how Claycentric some people's world is. I also think there is an inflated sense of his status in the entertainment world. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying he's not a star. The fact that he gets so many great appearances attests to his position as a bona fide celebrity. However, I just don't think he's quite at the level where he or his label can demand anything and expect to get it. Some fans seem to think that if he's not doing X, Y, or Z, it's because the label is trying to keep him down. However, it may not be that simple. It's possible that not every show can accommodate his schedule, or can even appreciate his drawing power.

This is the same point I've been trying to make in other parts of this fandom...unfortunately...I think there is some forcefield around pop people brains that prevents them from even considering this possibility. They are stuck in the mantra...he is a superstar and if he isn't in a show...then Roger must've said no...or RCA is screwing him.

My theory is that, at this point, 19 et al could give a rat's ass about what happens after the tour. The show, which was initially set-up to find musical talent, is now the end-all and be-all in itself, and what happens to resulting "talent" found is not even a consideration any more. Compared to what they're making in ad revenues for having a top rated show, any income from management and record deals must be tiny by comparison. The Winner doesn't have to be proven to be the bestest of all times, because that's not even the point anymore.

Quite frankly, I think that's kind of always been the case (although technically, 19 makes money from network license fees, not from ad sales. Ad sales are what the network gets). That's why these theories that 19 needed to sabotage Clay's career never really held water for me. The fact that he outsold Ruben had no effect on subsequent series ratings. The success of various idols is good for the show in the sense that it makes more people want to audition. However, the show doesn't really need every winner to be a superstar.

I do agree with Bottle..the difference though I see in Clay's situation is that he was in the second season, they were still in the process of establishing the show itself. The shows premise was proven by the difference in Kelly and justin's careers at that point its possiblt they thought they need another similar success for their season 2 winner to legitimize their process of finding the next superstar. That is why I do think 19 may have had some conflict of interest in representing Clay's interest. I do think that when season 3 proved to be another ratings winner despite the fact that the winner was overshadowed by the runner- up, it became less importnat for them. They were now able to charge exorbitant price for their ads and in the end, its the show that is more important. So if they end up getting more than one recording star from season 5...it just proves that AI is a legitimate source for recording stars and it becomes a bigger draw.

:lol::lol::lol:

Heh. I just looked at my carefully planned work schedule for the rest of the year, and determined I don't have any 5 days workweeks until January. All that vacation that could have been used for possible Clay travels in the summer got pushed back until November and December. Awooo Hooo - I'll be home tomorrow to watch Regis & Kelly in real time! (Never thought I'd Wooo Hooo over R&K.... :P )

YAY...so wanna chat about the show tomorrow starting 9am EST?

I am missing out on the self esteem seminar...(yeah its still going on cos it has 10 sessions yikes..although only attended 2...heh) to stay home and monitor this FCA's R&K chat..so hope those of you that will watch on real time can join me in EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEing and commenting on Clay's hair, clothes, hotness and how clueless Kelly Ripa can be.

saw this at the CH...whatever we personally felt about the Christmas special this is great promo for Clay...

EEEEEEEEEEEEEE

From Rock on TV:

A Clay Aiken Christmas

Bravo

Thu 12.14 09:00 PM ET

Fri 12.15 12:00 AM ET

Sun 12.17 10:30 AM ET

So when can people finally let go of the notion he has been abandoned....

I'm back and I can honestly say, people do not listen. I ask for a perm without amonia in it three times before making the appointment, since it causes my head to scab over, yet they try and pawn an perm with amonia, (we will do a skin test, cause you know I don't know my own body like these strangers) on me. Jerks, waste of another hour. No time for another apointment, so I just have shorter skinny hair and no perm (would that my body was a proportionally skinny as my hair).

Gee, maybe this was a salon of Clay fans? You know, the ones who know what is in everyone's head, secret messages and all. I guess my secret message was ignore what I say, do what you want.

No sooner do I sit here and type this than the ball starts bouncing. I will return with great Clay comments after I play with the dog.