#11 I love me some Clay Aiken! He (soft) rocks *g*

Ansamcw

Next thread title poll  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the next main thread title

• A big MWAH! and muchos gracias to a globe-trotting, lazy-ass, dog-loving, soft-rocking dude!
    • Clay is Clay. His instrument is undefinable
    • Indeed they are, my child. Clown feet." (Make me laugh, clown.'
    • *moan* *whimper* *thud*
    • An Evening With His Royal Highness of Fantasy Fodder. Coming to a venue near you soon.
    • Refresh, read, click the next tab; Refresh, read, click the next tab; lather, rinse, repeat. Insert random EEE's. Yeap, it's cellcert time again!
    • Aw, that man can blog me any ole time!
    • He's a unique treasure, no doubt. A pain in the ass sometimes, I'm sure. A blessing, plain and simple and one hawt man
    • Yes, I live under a rock....with Clay Aiken.

See! I went to bed early again last night and voila! Another blog! You're welcome. :medium-smiley-070:

THank you so much CG..can you do it again soon please? :lilredani:

Parents say the darndest things! :cryingwlaughter:

Ain't that the truth..just when did the shoe get on the other foot! That's what I want to know.

I don't need another half hour phone call reminding me that I posted on this board that Clay is a slob and how slob is the worst insult ever.. Nonononononononononono SHHHHHHH

looks around furtively, pleadingly

So, I see we have a new thread - pages have just been flying by.

Play, you crack me up. I'm so intrigued by the slob story...but I'll shhhhh. :cryingwlaughter:

And yeah the pages do fly by now... I love to come home to so many pages to read and I'll never know what unexpected thing I'll find. Could be a singing penis. Could be interesting discussion. Could be funny emoticons. Why did I used to hate emoticons again? heee

Kelly has had a setback to be sure, but as soon as her opening week number comes in and she's number one for the week all that will change. She's smart to cancel that tour that would ruin her reputation and be a four month long source of bad publicity. Do it now...lose as little as possible, and reset the plan to a more realistic level. And she needs to quit moving on to talking about her next album before she sells one copy of this one.

Clay he had a very hot couple of years...lots of momentum. It was more than album sales - he was was invited to do a lot of things so he was all over TV, he had a book deal, he had a television special, he had a charity, he was spokesman for several other well known ones, he was on the road CONSTANTLY. It was such a wild ride that it was a shock to the system when things slowed down. I mean it took me quite the while to stop hitting refresh every five minutes to get another dose of Life With Clay.

I lurve him. I'll be here, whether he's #1 on five million charts or just hanging around with just a few CDs in the record stores....

Word Muski! I think projects are unfortunately rated by how much they sell. Nobody wants to be associated with a failure. I got over needing the number one validation a long time ago. Would I love to have it? HELL YES.

Plotting? I think Clay is blogging more to keep us busy, to give us topics to talk about so we don't canabalize each other before the tour.

That's pretty much my take.

I truly believe both he and Kelly will have long careers. My gut tells me Clay may never have the kind of commercial success Kelly has had, but that's ok because I have every confidence that with a bit of luck along the way, he will be around for a really long time. I don't need him in the stratosphere. I just need him here, singing to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee for a long time to come.

OK messed up my quote so hope I'm giving credit to the right person...I agree CG. Clay's career will hit peaks and valleys like everyone elses but I expect him to be around for a very long time because at the base of it he has talent and he's smart. That's no guarantee of course but eh I have faith. RIght now, we know there are two tours and an album to come so we get another what 2 years at least. I'll start with that.

FYI - the price is rising on Clay's shirt - an interloper thought she could sneak inwith a little rise in price. Should be an interesting evening.

Yay for Clay's shirt going for over 4000. Yay for Spooky. When will she open that museum. I'll be first in line. If I had the money I'd bit on his stuff too.

Holy Shit! Can you imagine if this happened with Clay Aiken tickets? Can you imagine the calls that dj would get if he said, "Okay people we've got some tickets for the Clay Aiken show and if you want 'em, give us a call."???????????

And I ain't just talking about people calling to get tickets! There would be some people going Clay Aiken fan on that dj's ass for sounding dismissive or disrespectful, etc..

LOL..yeah...actually I think the DJs would be dead from the stampede first.

Hey, do we have a thread for Vegas planning yet?

I'm kind of thinking seriously about attending. :scream:

Feel free to start one cuz I'm going to this if it kills me.

I do think if he wants it and all the stars align just right he could be a mega-star of the concert stage, or the recording industry, on Broadway or TV or Vegas. He could even become an international superstar. But he is right now, IMO, nowhere close and doesn't to my uninformed eye seem to be on any path to all that. Doesn't mean he isn't talented enough, because he is. Doesn't mean all that isn't part of his master plan, because it may be. But I don't see it. Not yet.

To me, if he is any kind of phenomenon he is more of a cultural phenomenon than an artistic one. He, or at least his name and his "image" have sort of become part of pop culture. But that is a long way from having a long and successful career.

Again, I think he is talented enough to achieve everything he wants to achieve. But a lot of things other than talent go into having that kind of success. Besides, I have never been convinced Clay wants to be shot into the stratosphere. I think he just wants to be successful enough to do the things he loves to do and wants to do.

I think I agree with all of this. He does have options doesn't he. I know the fandom is all over the place on this but I think I would really love Clay to have his own tv show. And it doesn't have to be in some stressed filled timeslot on a major network. The damn satellite dish has a million and one channels..one of those more major cable stations work just fine for me..a Bravo, or TNT, or CNN, VH1 show. And yes keep singing singing singing.... but if he does only that the fandom better get used to some down times. I may have the shakes now and then but I think I've adjusted expectations over the past 2 years.

I think a LOT of this all comes down to "wants" vs. "needs." Do I want his career to have a stratospheric trajectory? Of course I do...if of course, that's what HE wants. But I truly do want the best for him. Do I NEED to have him have that trajectory? Nope. He seems to be doing pretty darn well at the moment, and right now I am content with watching his career unfold at the pace I think he's set.

I agree with this sentiment as well.

I say these things based on what I hear and see as reactions from the 'not us' population that I come in contact with. Mention his name and I hear, "Oh, yeah...whatever happened to him?" or "He really looks different. I saw a picture of him in..." "He's gay, right?" "Has he put out a record lately?" "I didn't know he was touring."

etc.

Of course those of us 'in the know'---on the boards, following everything about him---know he's busy do this and that, appearing here and there, on this talk show or that one. But the average person going about his or her daily life? Nope. Clay's not even a blip on their radar until a new entertainment mag or rag or tabloid or new 'scandal' brings his name to the headlines.

Not his music. His 'notoriety'---rightly or wrongly earned.

You know, as I was reading this I was thinking, what do I know about what is happening with JT? Or Xtina? Or Avril? I really only know what's happening with Kelly because it usually comes up on Clay's boards. Or anyone else, no matter how big, that I don't follow closely or at all? I may hear they have released a CD the week they released the CD but other than that the only time I hear about any of them is when there is scandal or controversy or juicy gossip about them. I'm not sure Clay's name popping up only when there is a scandal or a joke is all that unusual no matter how big the star. I do think more people know who JT et. al are as opposed to Clay, but those guys are bigger stars and have been around a bit longer.

What I think we have forgotten is in the real world most people don't give much thought to any entertainer. Unless you are an intense fan, or a least a fan, they just aren't on your radar.

Now....about the Ft. Myers concert...WTF? :scream:

Repeat after me....

I cannot go to another concert. I cannot go to another concert. I cannot go to another concert. I cannot go to another concert.

Actually, after my initial knee-jerk reaction that since I am going to the other 3 Florida concerts I MUST go to this one too, I am surprisingly zen and really do not want to go. I mean, I do, but I really don't need to, can't afford to and won't feel too left out when I don't go. And even though I haven't yet bought my airline ticket to Tampa and could change my plans, I'm not going to.

Now, where all this mature thinking and common sense came from is beyond me! And I can't guarantee it will last, but I think I will. And I think it is really because the spending on these concerts has already been out of hand, and I have yet to pay for a hotel or a car rental or food! You have to draw the line somewhere and this is it for me.

(And if it sounds like I am trying to convince myself just a little, it is because I am!)

ETA:

One of my other favorite singers is Raul Malo.

I bet you've never heard of him.

He's been around since the 80's when he fronted a band called the Mavericks. He still puts out CD's, he tours, he has loyal fans who travel to see him, he has a fan club and a message board. He's a singer/songwriter, a genrejumping critical darling whose never gotten much in the way of radio play. His last CD came out in April. Love song covers.

But I bet you've never heard of him.

I have heard of him! I love him too. Love his voice! The NPR station I listen to plays him a lot.

Edited by Claygasm

PuddinsJoy, fantastic montage!!!! V.V. nice. Yum.

I got one right away for Houston...clicked on Tulsa and no email...nothing.....strange how so many have got all and so many havent......

Heh....mine was the total opposite. Got mine for Tulsa immediately, but nada for Houston. *shrug*

I know a lot of fans have their dream for Clay...have this vision of how he will have his career. That vision may not be Clay's vision. We have to remember for us we are simply observing so its easy for us to say this should've been done etc...but Clay, he is living it. There are things he is dealing with that we will never know. I have let go of my own vision of what Clay will be and decided to just relax and enjoy the ride and go with the flooooow.

I totally agree with this, even though I know it's incredibly, INCREDIBLY hard. He's the man in charge of his career, and he'll go where he wants to go when he wants to go. Maybe his choices haven't been OURS, but IMO that's OK.

As for TC and what they've done for him, I'll pull out the old chestnut that I do every time this topic comes up. Some fans insist on focusing on the first part of the phrase, "team." Me? I always pay attention to that second word, for IMO Clay is the one running much of the show, and if he truly didn't like the way something was going, there would be changes made.

Finally -- and I know this one is hard too -- but watching much of what Clay does through the eyes of a "non-fan" actually makes me sad. I try to watch Clay and enjoy him, pure and simple. Enjoy him for what he IS -- let others make up their own minds about him. You might be surprised. I have an office mate who hears both the good (UNICEF) and the bad about Clay (almost none of it from me in both cases). What does she focus on? The good, and the voice and talent. She hears it, and she's not a connected fan at all.

Right now, he's in a bit of a "down" publicity cycle, but I think that will change as the tour ramps up. (One place where TC didn't do so great last time....*g*) Also, as he's said time and time again, people are going to believe things about him that THEY want to believe. And finally -- he's got titanium ones, and sometimes that includes saying some things that make others cringe (including me, but very infrequently). I'm willing to pay that price to watch him through the years.

There's simply a lot of FAITH that has to happen in this fandom sometimes. JMO.

You know, I have no desire to win a meet and greet. IF I ever meet Clay, I want quality time, not being hustled through for my 15 seconds of a brush with greatness! Besides, I never win and it would annoy the hell out of me when the same 10 people who have met him tons of times win yet again.

Thanks for increasing my chances CG! While I do understand wanting quality time with Clay instead of a hurry up thing, I really just want a chance to say "thanks" and get my picture with him. And I also think that his sense of humor comes through, no matter if you've got 5 seconds or 24 hours with him. (Wouldn't that be loverly?) Now, I do agree that I probably won't win, and that those same people who win over and over again will piss me off.

What I think we have forgotten is in the real world most people don't give much thought to any entertainer. Unless you are an intense fan, or a least a fan, they just aren't on your radar.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yessssssssss [tm Sally]. Thank you!

Jamar, I loved the Mavericks, but haven't kept up with Raul at all. Need to check out some things, I guess.

couchie....I have three things to say to you:

1. That was not keepingfaith who uttered those wise words you quoted (this time). Twas I. :medium-smiley-070:

2. You never called me back.

3. You didn't come to the Jazzercize class with me.

Other than that....

WORD. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

jamar...I won't presume to speak for Totally, but I do know her and have since 2003, and I think that all of the three groups of non-fans you described probably fit

Hmmm. I'm not sure that I understand how this works. Can you explain how someone who claims to adore him, would know what a non-fan would think? And when you say "non-fan" do you mean someone who isn't an intese internet fan like you or someone who just remembers him from AI or do you mean a hater?
Maybe she's talking about just the casual tv viewer who sees Clay unexpectedly (the first group) , or someone who hasn't followed him and hasn't heard him since AI (and since so many of his latest appearances haven't been singing ones or even promoting his singing), AND the people who might tune in because of some 'hater' obsession.

To me, what Totally is saying goes back to what I posted earlier---that unfortunately, in a relative void of seeing/hearing Clay in the context of a singer (that is, not seeing/hearing him actually sing and/or talk about his singing/concerts, etc.so much in television appearances)---the 'catchy' things that he does and/or that happen to him (such as the hand over Ripa's mouth/Rosie thing) become the more recognizable pop culture thing associated with him FOR THE NON-INTENSE/INTERNET fan.

I can see that. I know that when I saw him show up on Kimmel on that horse with that bowl cut in that green vest, etc.---it CMSU! BUt I know that I was also thinking, "Lord...what a goofball. I can imagine somebody who doesn't really know him past 'oh yeah, that guy from American Idol' might think, WTF?" :cryingwlaughter:

He's a mystery...he has his own look. Gladys didn't know what was gonna happen to him in the contemporary world, but something good was gonna happen to him...because he's pure....heh. :wub:

yeah. B) pure sex on a stick. :hubbahubba:

I have heard of him! I love him too. Love his voice! The NPR station I listen to plays him a lot.

Oh just fine. :cryingwlaughter: Your blowing my analogy all to hell.

I would amend that to say "mainstream" radio play.

Actually I'm thrilled you hear him on NPR. IMO he has a voice that deserves to be heard.

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

---

the casual tv viewer who sees Clay unexpectedly <snip> or someone who hasn't followed him and hasn't heard him since AI <snip> AND the people who might tune in because of some 'hater' obsession.

But what I'm asking is how she (who is none of those things) would know how they would view him in any given situation? How does she switch off the fan and view him through other eyes? And why would anyone want to do that? Especially if it makes her cringe?

---

eta...not putting in for any M&G's and never have. I've touched his hand at the buses a couple of times and that's as close to him as I ever need to get. :wub:

Edited by jamar1700

And to get that multi-platinum project, he needs support, and to get support he needs another multi.... Kinda makes you want to run screaming into the night, huh?BANGHEAD2.gif

Have I ever mentioned that this rant.gif is my all-time favorite smiley?

I feel ya Cindilu!! What exactly is the little man doing. I'm blind ya'll and some of these are just a bit too small for me.

I know some believe that her fall in radio play is largely due to lack of label support, but I do wonder whether a song as dark and angry as "Never Again" connects with audiences in the summer. I mean, I know Pink's "U + Your Hand" is pretty angry, but that's been out awhile.

I know I've said I don't really like pop music much and don't listn to the pop princesses. That's pretty true. It struck me today that I've heard Daughtery's It's Not over on sports radio station more than I heard all of the songs on Kelly's Breakaway combined. That's how out of touch I am. But I do like Christina Aguilara. I have her Xmas album. And I like Pink for some reason. I've seen a few of her live performances and I'm always impressed. We used one of Pink's songs for my sister's slideshow and I just didn't mind hearing over and over and over again as we worked on it.

I see Clay as having a Clay Aiken career ... not a Tony Bennett, Linda Ronstandt, Barry Manilow, or anybody else career. He's unique. There's never been anyone like him before, and there won't be another one coming along. And as far as name identification goes, believe me there are people, music-lovers, who don't have a clue who Josh Groban or Michael Buble or Andrea Bocelli are.

And there are the clueless like me. I don't know who Andrea Bocelli is. I've heard the name but if I've heard him sing I don't remember. I've heard Josh sing a couple of times and Michael Buble a few times. Lord somebody take my league pass :cryingwlaughter:

I am going to a Jazzercize class this evening. It's the first one I've been to in....well, a terribly long time. This neglect on my part is quite obvious---on my ass certainly, but my arms, legs and boobs are also telling me to DO SOMETHING! I just left a phone message on couchie's phone inviting her to join me and then go walking afterwards (This class is an "Express" one---only 30 mins.) I write this so she can't get out of it easily. Yes, I'm devious that way.

Ahhh...I couldn't go tonight because I'm dog tired. It's been a pretty grueling week. But I would love to join you for jazzercize some times. (does that mean, like dancing...cuz I'm really a klutz and have no rhythm and it's not because of any guilty feet either) I understand where you are. I made a commitment to fix some things in my life a couple months ago and it's been pretty hit or miss. Yeah we walk..but not consistently. I'm working on the money thing. I'm working on the stress thing. I have the hardest time remembering to take my medication. I'm working on the food thing. I got pretty good at that until the unending stress hit me. Guess what I do when I'm stressed. Yep. So, a new committment begins tomorrow. In the words of Danny Glover from Leathal Weapon 2482, I'm to old for this shit.

We need to keep each other strong and encouraged. I'm pretty much free all weekend. I know you may have all kinds of family stuff but call me if you want to do something..

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Meet and greet buttons are up on the OFC tour page.

:clap::clap::clap: I wish everyone luck in getting meet and greets this time around... looks like only 120 or so to go around so there is going to be some disappointment. This might be cruel but I hope people who have gotten meet and greets in past tours will be eliminated and others be given the chance to meet Clay. I know without the meet and greet from the OFC I never would have had that opportunity. I will not put my name in again until I'm about 80. I feel by then everybody at the OFC will have had their chance....and Clay will still be a spring chicken of about 64. heee.

Yay..I'm caught up through page 3. This is the most relaxing thing to do...and the best thing for my stress.

I think I've got one more thing to say, before I go to bed for the evening. *and the crowd went "hooray, she's going to bed...*

I've seen this phrase quite frequently lately about Clay's career: plotted and planned. I'll agree that there very like is a plan to his career....but I think sometimes I forget that plans can go awry in a HURRY, and through no fault of your own. And that may be why people like Totally feels like there may NOT be a plan. He's gone through this whole thing once, when he simply KNEW he was going to be a teacher....until AI came along and blew everything out of the water. Sometimes, it just happens.

My feeling is that we'll never know everything that goes on behind the scenes, even in 10 years when Clay writes that next book. And, in that case, it will only be his side of the story. One of my favorite songwriters, Don Henley, wrote a line that has always resonated with me -- "there are three sides to every story, yours, mine, and the truth." As much as I'd love to hear Clay's side of what's gone on in the past few years, I'd love to hear it from David Foster, Jaymes, Roger, and yes, even Clive's side.

'night all.

Ansamcw: Totally... I guess its hard for me to understand how you feel because I have never cringed at anything Clay has done. Oh I think the only time I did was when he did put his hand on Kelly R's mouth because I saw that she wouldn't be a god sport about it but I always thought Clay is very funny and I'm always feel entertained by him...always feel so proud of him so can you clarify what behavior you find cringe worthy?

Jamar:Can you explain how someone who claims to adore him can look at him through a non-fans eyes? And when you say "non-fan" do you mean someone who isn't an intese internet fan like you or someone who just remembers him from AI or do you mean a hater?

I am talking about the casual TV viewer who might be seeing him for the first time, or who remembers him from AI2....or my mother, lol. The "haters", whoever they are, aren't going to like him no matter what, so I don't waste time worrying about them.

As for what makes me cringe and why, it's just that I want for others to see in him what I have always seen in him - a sexy, intelligent, attractive, witty, and talented man. When he sings, the talented comes thru loud and clear, but he hasn't been singing recently. So when he does something like come out on a horse dressed like a leprachaun on Kimmel, I kind of cringe. Sorry, I just do. That was one appearance I couldn't bring myself to save and watch over and over. And occasionally he sticks his foot in his mouth and says something that I really wish he hadn't said, but Clay's going to be Clay and sometimes he doesn't have much of a filter. So things make me cringe that might not make others cringe. But that's just my personality. I embarrass easily.

Up until this calendar year though, I think Regis and Kelly was the first time I really cringed or hurt for him during an appearance because he tried so hard and it didn't work.

Thanks Muski for explaining how I am feeling better than I was doing. And congrats on going to Jazzercise.

Idyjocelyn I can't wait for that next book! But I too would love to hear all of those other people's perspectives. :)

Edited by Totally

Superstardom, like anything else is subjective. Is it based on record sales, radio play, on screen personality, awards, longevity, concert ticket sales, philanthropy? Who gets to define greatness? A few years ago, I couldn't have told you who in the heck Bono was. I don't own a Bruce Springsteen album, I probably wouldn't walk across the street to see Madonna or Britney Spears, but I guess they would all be considered superstars.

Sometimes I can still hear Diane Sawyer's voice say "he's on a rocketship to the stars" I know that was quite a while ago, but he still gets introduced on TV shows as "pop superstar", Clay Aiken,

I know he's not as well known or sold nearly as many records as Chirstina, Britney or Justin, but these folks even though they are still young, have been in the business twice as long as Clay.

So is Clay a superstar? Probably not by the standards that define these people I've mentioned. So what do you call someone who can cause otherwise reasonalbe people to fly cross country to see him? (countless times) How do you define someone, who with a few simple words can encourage fans to donte a couple hundred thousand dollars for a cause dear to him? Is there a word for an entertainer who can have you laughing at his expression or antics one minute and choked up by the meer beauty of his voice the next?

I guess until Clay accomplishes what ever it is he has to do to be superstar to the world, I'll just have to be content with him being a superstar to me.

I can see that. I know that when I saw him show up on Kimmel on that horse with that bowl cut in that green vest, etc.---it CMSU! BUt I know that I was also thinking, "Lord...what a goofball. I can imagine somebody who doesn't really know him past 'oh yeah, that guy from American Idol' might think, WTF?" :cryingwlaughter:

Well I can't really speak for all non fans..but the Kimmell horse bit was posted on many tv observer blogs and there were lots of comments about the fact that Clay has a sense of humor and doesn't take himself seriously. Yep there were some omg the hair comments but so what. I think even casual fans know it will be different the next time they see him.

My mom called me at work today or yesterday (I'm that's freakin' confused LOL) to tell me that Clay was on Martha Stewart. When I got home she told me all about it and is threatening to make me whatever that pineapple crap is and said her mama used to make it. My mom is from South Carolina originally. She loved Clay's appearance with his grandma. She is just a casual fan. I think we see many of Clay's appearances though a lens that has too much crap over it to get a real picture of the casual fan or non fan. I know if you have people coming up to you commenting about Clay all the time then it can be hard to take. It's weird..that just has not been my experience to have anyone throw stuff in my face about Clay or even comment on tabloid stuff. My SIL did ask me if Clay was mean to a kid and didn't let him sing at his concert. :cryingwlaughter: I simply said, the ticket to Clay's show was $100 per person. It was a profesionnal show, not a reality show tryout. I also added that it was a Xmas concert and Clay was too much of a perfectionist to throw some pop tune into the middle of his concert. That was that. She will be at Pala.

Clay just has to keep on doing his thing. I think for most people Clay is not on their radar. THey hear this or that but they don't process it like we do. They don't worry over it or read all 200 articles on one incident or every Clay mentioned uttered. It makes it seems like is constantly deluged and like he is hte only one and I just don't think that's the case.

Am I saying everything is all peachy? No. But no comment to me is better than the alternative..responding to everything that hits the pike or filling the news and tabloids with non stories. Clay's not going to play the role by dating a starlet anyway. And people just don't care for the most part about humanitarian issues. It's been a tough rwo to hoe, no doubt, for Clay. But he's doing the right things. Living his life, putting out music and continuing to hit the road.

Muski, agree with you about the covers CD. IMO it was the wrong way to go. But look at it from this side...the next album won't have 600K first week sales as the comparison point. Don't ask me why I'm optomistic but I am. I'm just really excited for the rest of the year.

God what a postho I am...I should have just read CG. I don't know what any other pop star is going through. Are they all getting great press. What are the tabloids saying. When we did our little google experiements back then I saw my folks going through what Clay has gone through. Fantasia has critical acclaim. But she is getting hammered in the blogs, just really nasty ugly stuff when I was following her on a daily basis. I had no idea until I added that google alert. My cutie Anderson Cooper has a thing for Ryan Seacrest, did you know that and some are demanding that he come out of the closet. Now imagine that with a dedicated, multiple part attack on Clay and he has had a lot to deal with and really no amount of ...look how cute Clay is with those elementary school students was going to get take the place of the muck being spewed.

IGNORE... Clay has the right idea. It's the toughest thing he can ask his fans to do because we do love him a lot..but we have to. It's been 4 years. WE MUST LEARN THIS SIMPLE THING. Will it go away? NO! But eveyrthing won't turn into a crisis if we do.

this is a rambling mess...sorry...for the typos...too tired to check...must put spell check on to do list.

Yep Atinal..he's my little suppestar as well. :13:

Well, never ask me to watch Clay as a nonfan - i am too into the Aiken fog -thank goodness for Clack or I would never remember anything about him.

i forgot to take my other keyboard, so Imay be missing letters from time to time.

I think Clay is a superstar to a great extent, my definition may not be as fussy as someone else's. For good or for bad, mention his name and people know him, He has a high TVQ

Edited by playbiller

When I tell people I will be seeing Clay the most common reaction I get is...Clay??? I love him in AI what happened to him? Or sometimes someone will mention AI5..

I think I understand what Jamar is saying....because we are such huge fans...its not really easy to watch a performance from a non fan POV. I think all we end up doing is worrying that non-fans won;t get Clay but is it really possible to put ourselves in the position of a neutral indifferent non-fan when we see a Clay appearance?

I don't worry about what people will think anymore...why???He can never please everybody. Even if he comes out as the most normal of guys...not everyone will like him. Most people will probably just forget him. Musicians don't usually get interviewed on talk shows...The reason is they are usually so boring so why would we want clay to be like everyone else. Clay gets interviews because he is just very interesting and unique. He is entertaining because he is not self conscious, he is not afraid of making himself look like ridiculous. As a consequence...he will be talked about and no one will always agree...what some will find cringe worthy others will find hilarious and that is not only with the fans but with all non fans as well.

What does TC do????everything. Just recently...if his trips are related to his career...his managers would've set this up...Kimmel would be set up by TC cos it was not for the CD...the appearance he does for Unicef would be set up by TC...the Concert tour...the publicity...and so many other things we do not know that are still in the works...the skating deal is definitely TC...I do believe the only thing they wouldn't be involved in is in the performance itself and in putting the cd together.

What I like about SAM....I think they let Clay set the pace...I think they let Clay be on the driver seat, they just deal with the details. My take with The Firm...they were setting the pace for Kelly. I think this is why Kelly finally fired them.

When we look at it...the things that distract Clay away from his career are things that are necessary for his soul. For example...if in 2005 Clay concentrated on working on his CD the way some fans wanted...then he probably would have the sophomore cd late 2005 or early 2006 and they wouldn't lose too much momentum. BUT what did Clay do instead. He went to Indonesia...he went to Uganda ...he did the JBT ...he did The JNT 2005...I think these were experiences he needed to have for his own personal and artistic growth. If it was also all about sales and getting publicity...then he could've just brought out a quicky cover album...if he brought out the CD in May or June 2006...he would've taken advantage of the buzz from AI5...but Clay wanted to take the time to make the songs his own...I believe this is very vital for Clay's artistic growth. So yeah TC and Clay probably sacrificed a lot of momentum for Clay to do things that are important to him...but I think that is what is making him happy right now...what is making him able to cope with the stresses and the gnats so well...and in the long run that is what will build his long career.

I know lots of fans look to Kelly and envy what happened to her. Well, have y'all heard Kelly's voice lately? she is ruining her chords...she has said the last two years was not the wonderful happy times the fans think it should be. She was over worked and overwhelmed by a lot of whats happened to her. In the end.. all that

success does not guarantee everything will always be great.

What I love about Clay...he is his own man...he is smart and knows what he wants. I do think he will always have a career...the only way we will lose him is if he decides all of this is not worth it and quits altogether. I think that is why he makes sure he has other interest so that he will continue to enjoy his life doing the things he loves...singing and working with children.

Ansa I think UNICEF is responsible for Clay's UNICEF appearances. They have a whole division set up to handle just that. Not saying they don't interact with anybody on Team Clay.. I just believe they take the lead in that area. I loved your post. Clay does have other priorities besides his career. Yes he needs to continue to sell records to do much of what he wants...but TBAF? I think if one day he decided to simply run this company he could do it without the celebrity.

ETA: Yowza..isn't it gorgeous! I think I still have the files to make the posters heee one of these days.

My department chair, a non-fan, wandered into my office yesterday and saw this poster up on my wall:

163330624-M.jpg

She commented on how lovely it is (and it IS!) and then reminded me that she was in the audience at the AI5 Finale and how stunned and amazed she was with how well he sang. And that from a non-fan. I don't think she's heard much of anything since then except from me.

ETA, the poster is credited to CDD.blogspot.com. Whoever you are, you are awesome.

Edited by artquest

Superstardom, like anything else is subjective. Is it based on record sales, radio play, on screen personality, awards, longevity, concert ticket sales, philanthropy? Who gets to define greatness? A few years ago, I couldn't have told you who in the heck Bono was. I don't own a Bruce Springsteen album, I probably wouldn't walk across the street to see Madonna or Britney Spears, but I guess they would all be considered superstars.

Sometimes I can still hear Diane Sawyer's voice say "he's on a rocketship to the stars" I know that was quite a while ago, but he still gets introduced on TV shows as "pop superstar", Clay Aiken,

I know he's not as well known or sold nearly as many records as Chirstina, Britney or Justin, but these folks even though they are still young, have been in the business twice as long as Clay.

So is Clay a superstar? Probably not by the standards that define these people I've mentioned. So what do you call someone who can cause otherwise reasonalbe people to fly cross country to see him? (countless times) How do you define someone, who with a few simple words can encourage fans to donte a couple hundred thousand dollars for a cause dear to him? Is there a word for an entertainer who can have you laughing at his expression or antics one minute and choked up by the meer beauty of his voice the next?

I guess until Clay accomplishes what ever it is he has to do to be superstar to the world, I'll just have to be content with him being a superstar to me.

WORD...you have such a way with words...and succinct too.

Couchie...I don't think its just UNICEF...I think its a combination of the two. I think Clay or TC as established some relationships with certain shows that make it easier to get the appearances...like the ET mentions and Kimmel...Diane. I do think most of the print mention would be UNICEF as well as the NPR interview. In the end the management does the details...as Clay said he just shows up...hee.

eta: yup artquest that is pretty stunning.

I love not.just.us stories. I run into Clay fans all the time.

Yesterday, by some strange universal force beyond my control -- honest -- I deviated from planning trips around Clay's concerts and was, by some gravitational pull, lured to the reservation desk at the Las Vegas Orleans Hotel/Casion/Arena. I don't know how it happened. All I remember was a friend saying "let's..g...." and I was on that phone as fast as I could get these fingers to key in the number.

Anyway, during my converstion at the reservation desk, the young lady was very helpful and patient. I asked if she could tell me when tickets would be available for the Ice show that would be taped at the arena on November 6th for showing on Christmas Day. She seemed a little bored at this and offered to switch me when the reservation was complete.

I then told her that Clay would be singing about 7 or so songs. Her response?

"CLAY AIKEN IS COMING HERE? HE'S GOING TO BE HERE? HERE? I LOVE CLAY AIKEN!!!!! I LOVE HIS VOICE. LET ME CALL THE BOX OFFICE FOR YOU. I WANT TO FIND OUT ABOUT THIS MYSELF.... OMG I LOVED HIM ON THAT SHOW BUT HE IS SUCH A TALENTED GUY. OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE IT....

She was gone a pretty long time. When she came back she said they didn't know anything about it YET but THEY want to know too and that I should keep calling. She intended to do the same.

There was no doubt who he was, no question about what he had been doing, nothing like that. She absolutely loves him. They are out there all over. I've run into them in Kinkos, restaurats, department stores, ferry boats, supermarkets, Costco, all my usual haunts. They just need to know where he IS in order to see him. In almost all these places recorded music is played in the background, definitely not radio.

Musically, his career might be in Clive's hands, but that is not all he is. He's funny. He's a smartass news junkie. He writes lyrics and dialogue. He sees this as a business. He can ACT, he's shown that with Kimmel (fight and candy kisses). He produces and runs his shows, directing right from the stage. He manages his tours. I see a very hands-on learning process that has taken place over several years. He's learned to sing with nuance as well as balance the bottom line. He's won people over in every show he has done. He loves doing TV and said he wants his own talk show. And, then, there are the PANTS.

I think Clay is having the kind of career he wants for himself. I think he would be bored doing only one thing. He has been building it slowly and it has not yet reached where he wants it to be. Yes, he could have made choices to give him what Kelly has had, but I don't see him being attracted to that. I think he loves the sound of the symphony, and playing with the musicians on stage. This is more suited to concert halls than arenas. He appears to want a purpose driven life, one that makes a difference, one that garners respect from people he respects. Garden parties with international VIPs is a pretty good "gig" IMO. Hanging with his friend David Foster on a whirlwind trip through Canada and Paris is not chopped liver in the music industry. It made headlines. Sitting on a committee that has input into national decisions impacting persons with mental disabilities has to be empowering. Running his own foundation fulfills him. Serving the world's children through UNICEF is obviously gratifying for him and his exposure to the problems of the world has broadened him.

He is well rounded, multifaceted, not focused on one talent or interest at the expense of everything else. I think he looks beyond the present and plans for the future. I think he wants the kind of career where he does not have to make personal compromises. He values his integrity and I do think that public service will always be in his future, one way or another. I would not be surprised if down the road he was appointed or elected to office of some kind. He is who he is and his career will be what works best for him, and that is all that I expect from him.

Edited by clayzedover

As for what makes me cringe and why, it's just that I want for others to see in him what I have always seen in him - a sexy, intelligent, attractive, witty, and talented man.

And yet to me, what makes him sexy and intelligent and witty and attractive IS his ability to be all these things at once, and still make fun of himself, and be playful and be brave. Yes. Brave. He's the gutsiest guy I've ever (not) known. Cringe? I burst with pride and admiration. He is Clay Aiken - and he is proud and happy to be Clay Aiken, by all indications. What isn't sexy and intelligent and attractive about that?

couchie,rant.gif little dude is having a fit. Swearing, jumping up and down, waggling his finger, pounding his fist, throwing his arms up in the air, holding his breath, and screaming. What's not to love? (not to mention a whopping 169 frames to make the animation. Incredible!!!)

eta: can I be clayzedover when I grow up? Please? BRAVO!!!

Edited by cindilu2

Totally thanks for answering my question. I do understand....everyone is different. I know a lot of people that wouldn't be that comfortable seeing people they care about taking such risk...its just too nerve wracking for them. I know my mom was like that always worrying about what I do what I wear...she always wants us to put our best foot forward.

eta: WORD Clayzedover.

I'm going to be really random like i am anywhere else and say.. :DoClay:

Umm.. Right. well i guess thats all i really wanted to say besides i never know what to write in these threads lol :blush:

I'm going to sit down with some :POP: and watch Clay on my dvd that i have of him..

Hee. Claytonfan20, when you're stuck for something to say, do like I do and just post a pic:

pining.jpg

Great conversation last night. The man is certainly a multifaceted enigma, isn't he?

Meet and Greets? I would just really like to have Clay sign something that is personalized to me. Eh, not holding my breath over that one ever happening anyway... Just a pipedream that I'll hold on to until the M&Gs get announced for my concert.

:Tour3:

clayzedover , that was one lovely post...

He's funny. He's a smartass news junkie. He writes lyrics and dialogue.

What NaJNT concert was it where he cracked a joke and said how funny he was? He said, 'most of my jokes are planned but that one wasn't' I know he was being a smartass, but I also think he does 'write' or at least anticipate a lot of his jokes, or set them up working towards a punchline. I showed a casual friend the Kimmel tape and her reaction was, 'OMG, that's funny!' I'm sure Clay doesn't need a career as a comedy writer, but I think he has it in him. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a hand in writing the Guillermo's Mustache bit.

cindylu2, I see him as brave too, but I don't know that he sees himself that way. I think we all have fear. To me bravery is working past the fear to do something you want to do. He joked about telling loved ones 'Good-bye' before he left for Afghanistan...but he got on the plane anyhow. He experienced panic attacks and still got through who knows how many crowded rooms and parties before he found help. Just like the little blog mention of the papprazzi from Paris, you can tell those kind of things still cause his stomach to clench, but he still makes himself go there.

bottlecap...I like the way you think. I hope you win a M&G this time. Agh! Those contests make me so nervous!

ETA...I just saw your montage PuddinsJoy. It's beautiful!! I think you should let more of those see the light of day.

Edited by laughn

Musically, his career might be in Clive's hands, but that is not all he is. He's funny. He's a smartass news junkie. He writes lyrics and dialogue. He sees this as a business. He can ACT, he's shown that with Kimmel (fight and candy kisses). He produces and runs his shows, directing right from the stage. He manages his tours. I see a very hands-on learning process that has taken place over several years. He's learned to sing with nuance as well as balance the bottom line. He's won people over in every show he has done. He loves doing TV and said he wants his own talk show. And, then, there are the PANTS.

I think Clay is having the kind of career he wants for himself. I think he would be bored doing only one thing. He has been building it slowly and it has not yet reached where he wants it to be. Yes, he could have made choices to give him what Kelly has had, but I don't see him being attracted to that. I think he loves the sound of the symphony, and playing with the musicians on stage. This is more suited to concert halls than arenas. He appears to want a purpose driven life, one that makes a difference, one that garners respect from people he respects. Garden parties with international VIPs is a pretty good "gig" IMO. Hanging with his friend David Foster on a whirlwind trip through Canada and Paris is not chopped liver in the music industry. It made headlines. Sitting on a committee that has input into national decisions impacting persons with mental disabilities has to be empowering. Running his own foundation fulfills him. Serving the world's children through UNICEF is obviously gratifying for him and his exposure to the problems of the world has broadened him.

He is well rounded, multifaceted, not focused on one talent or interest at the expense of everything else. I think he looks beyond the present and plans for the future. I think he wants the kind of career where he does not have to make personal compromises. He values his integrity and I do think that public service will always be in his future, one way or another. I would not be surprised if down the road he was appointed or elected to office of some kind. He is who he is and his career will be what works best for him, and that is all that I expect from him.

clayzedover, great observations. Clay is an educated man. He understands the principles of business. He is positioning himself to be a player, in what he wants for himself.. I've always felt he was hands on and involved with all decisions made concerning his career. I have never felt that he is just a puppet at the hands of the the evil Clive Davis and his whip. In fact I think just the opposite. I think Clive has been way generous in allowing Clay to choose what suits his comfort level. I think he has a lot of respect from people in the industry for his talent, work ethic, and his integrity.

He is hob nobbing with important people. Jet setting around the world. Involved in governmental decisions concerning children with disabilites. He's met influential people. He is networking. He is not a dummy.

Superstar=Legend to me.

My hopes for Clay in the beginning was to be a superstar legend. I wanted for Clay and his life of music/TV/Charitable endeavors to be remembered and talked about long after he is dead and gone. Elvis, to me, would be an example of that. Whether Clay wants that or not I don't know. That was where I, as a fan, wanted to see his career go. However, if it doesn't I will still be a fan of the man. It will not be looked upon, by me, as a failure if he just wants a less demanding type career.

PuddinsJoy that was a great montage. Thank you. I loved the pics you chose & I love the black & white.

Meet and greet for Tulsa has been entered and I received my email. My one and only concert. No way in hell I will win, but thanks to those for helping me increase my odds, by not applying. :clap:

I think I understand what Jamar is saying....because we are such huge fans...its not really easy to watch a performance from a non fan POV. I think all we end up doing is worrying that non-fans won;t get Clay but is it really possible to put ourselves in the position of a neutral indifferent non-fan when we see a Clay appearance?

*nods vigoursly*

This is where I was going.

Not to mention that a thousand different casual viewers may well have a thousand different reactions.

FWIW I wish I could have all the hours of my life back that I wasted worrying about what other people thought.

I gots more but I'm running late. DD and I are getting our hair done, doing lunch and probably (bwah) shopping.

:F_05BL17blowkiss: