#17: The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.

Couch Tomato

Thread Title Poll  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• .ni tif ot ecin os s'tI. driew adink lla er'uoy kniht I.
    • There's a soft rawness to his tone.
    • He has always had the VOICE! But, boy has he ever learned to use his instrument!
    • He's like a chameleon in a kaleidoscope.
    • Let Clay Aiken take you back.
    • I volunteer to polish his balls for him. I bet that would make his putter stand up on end.
    • Blog me Baby!!!
    • I am no-account cover lover.

Thanks for posting that! I got so caught up in Quiana's performance that I didn't pay that much attention to the poetry of the lyrics.

I had the same experience with MGUCL - when Quiana sang it, I was thrilled with her performance. I thought it was amazing. But I somehow didn't hear or understand the words as much as when Clay sang it. MGUCL has a beautiful message, and it was like a beautiful revelation when Clay sang it. I think he really tries to project the meaning of the song, and his diction, while not overdone as it was on AI, is still very good. Of Clay's Christmas music, MGUCL is one of my favorites.

Don't get me wrong - I love Quiana's singing. I think she killed on WTLGD. But if Clay would ever sing it, I would be very interested to see the differences in their approaches to the song.

Edited by Gibby

My 'When the Lights Go Down' audio recommends are posted now, with mp3's for those who desire them.

I mentioned this in the post, but o.m.g. this is one depressing set of lyrics. (Right up my alley, of course ;-) :imgtongue: I've seen people say how sad they are that Clay was able to write the lyrics to LAA (feeling that he must have experienced them to write them). But man oh man, I'd rather see him write about losing love and wanting to feel it (again?) than the sentiments of this song. I need a drink now! :cryingwlaughter:

What is intriguing to me is that Clay picked Quiana's and Angela's songs for them to sing. What was there about this song that he wanted it in his show? This is the guy who frequently talks about strong melodies and lyrics and these are lyrics he likes. Maybe he just likes the lyrics or the melody or maybe it is just something he could identify with himself?

Thanks for posting that! I got so caught up in Quiana's performance that I didn't pay that much attention to the poetry of the lyrics.

jazzgirl, I also thought about that many times while listening - that Clay chose both these songs. Sure, they showcase the girls powerhouse voices wonderfully. But they are both lyrically poignant songs. Things that make you go, hmmmmm, for sure.
my bold

I never thought about this, but you ladies are right. Wonder if this could be a little insight into the man named Clay Aiken?

Yes, add me to the list of those who loved listening to Quiana sing this song but really didn't listen to the words... thanks cindilu2 for posting the lyrics, they are very poignant...

I had seen Dreamgirls and so I was more familiar with the words to Listen and so for some reason "heard" those every time and felt the impact of those...

I'll have to go back now and listen to Q's song a few more times and really hear the words... not a hard task to undertake since I love her voice...

And I actually saw AAIT on the elevator at the hotel in Tampa but was too shy to introduce myself... and I did get to meet xxx at a pre-party in WPB... we really didn't talk much and I managed not to embarrass myself even though I wanted to bow down (I was excited to meet her after reading so many of her funny posts!)... I'll have to make more of a point of trying to meet people at the Christmas concerts - I'm lucky enough to be near quite a few so my sister and I are doing Waukegan (which is like 45 minutes to an hour away), Kalamazoo and the Merrillville (which happens to be on my birthday - yay me!)... hopefully people won't run the other way....

Those are some lyrics, that's for sure....

I'm just not sure Clay did anything but think A & Q would kill on those songs... and they did. Quiana connected to the emotion of her song, but while Angela sang Listen very well, I didn't get the same emotional connection. She may have been just a little toooo challenged by that song and therefore focused on gettin' er done and not so much on the emotion.

I'm just not sure Clay did anything but think A & Q would kill on those songs... and they did. Quiana connected to the emotion of her song, but while Angela sang Listen very well, I didn't get the same emotional connection. She may have been just a little toooo challenged by that song and therefore focused on gettin' er done and not so much on the emotion of it.

Song I enjoyed the most from Angela was ... er, where is my memory... she sat on the chair backward in JBT... grrr... dang senility... :cryingwlaughter: Anyway... that one! :cryingwlaughter:

ETA... my very first top of page... I feel like I really belong now... sniff!

ETA, again... on this computer, I am at the bottom of last page AND top of next page. I either double posted, which I have never done, or... it's this laptop I am borrowing. :cryingwlaughter:

Edited by liney23

I don't know if anyone brought over the post on CV that the supposed 2007 Christmas dvd as shown on Amazon is now at Best Buy. It was mumm fums that posted it. It'll be interesting to see what turns up. I learned after AIW that I had better not wait to order anything.

Do you mean Best Buy online or the physical store? When I went to the Best Buy website it shows the release date as 8/28/07. I'm getting confuseder and confuseder. Best Buy

This would be so exciting if it is something new, but I just can't imagine having a new product come out with no promotion or marketing at all.

Hmmmm.....I'm trying to figure out if I can sneak in a trip to Best Buy before I have to go work at the town festival this afternoon? We don't have a Best Buy in our town (small town), but there's one about 15 miles from here.

I'm pretty sure it was best buy online.

Off to spend this beautiful fall day -- shopping! Sam's Club, the ultimate of consumerism. But we're also going to Circuit City (Lost season two on sale CHEAP, plus an FM receiver for my iPod) and an apple orchard. I used to not care for apples at all -- until I discovered that it was just I didn't like Red Delicious apples (I can go with "red" but "delicious"? Nuh huh). I like Jonagolds and Fuji's (the last thanks to Clay *g*).

I miss macoon apples that it seems you can only get in Jersey.

Hello! Didn't have to time to check in here yesterday - went to a John Prine concert. Anyone familiar with him? Interesting....

My husband and I are big fans of John Prine but we have never gone to see him although he was in Raleigh this summer. We have most of his cds. My youngest son introduced his music to us many years ago. He doesn't have the best voice but he is a great story teller with his music.

Happy birthday aikim and Lucia. :fest06::woohoo: :fest33:

Howdy.

I'm with those who think Clay chose songs he thought were suited for his two special women...he knows their voices and them, so I'll just trust his choices for them. IMO, he was right on, too!

Watched older daughter play soccer in the rain this morning. Great game and she was happy on the way home because she played well. She's such a moody girl that when she doesn't think she did well, she's a bear to be around afterward...don't know where she gets that from... :whistling-1:

Now I'm all alone at home. Older daughter at part time job; younger daughter at friend's house; hubby in San Francisco visiting some friends and watching college football. I COULD do my DCAT song recommendations...or I COULD take a nap on the sofa with Shadow....

Life's tough. I hate decisions. Think I'll just relax on the sofa and give this matter some serious and thoughtful consideration....

B)

Edited by muskifest

I agree thah Clay likes to showcase Angela and Quiana. I think he is still trying to help Quiana to get her own contract. It is funny that some fans accuse Clay of doing a lot of stuff for his friend, but I don't find him doing vey muc except for mentioning them from time to time, but he does love to showcase Quiana more than anyone else. I would really like to hear the recorded version of IWTKWLI with Quiana. I bet it was better than the one released, but , then again, who knows. He has made sure that she has a nice resume though.

Hello! Didn't have to time to check in here yesterday - went to a John Prine concert. Anyone familiar with him? Interesting....

His "Speed of the Sound of Loneliness" is one of my very favorite songs! I had bought the first soundtrack from The Sopranos (excellent) and from there I bought a CD by A3 (they do the Sopranos opening song) - I fricking LOVE that CD, Exile on Coldharbour Lane......and there is not one song on it I can imagine Clay singing.

I do like A3's version of Speed on this CD better than Prine's or Nancy Griffith's

Song I enjoyed the most from Angela was ... er, where is my memory... she sat on the chair backward in JBT... grrr... dang senility... Anyway... that one!

Black Velvet.

Ooops! A3, not A2!

Edited by djs111

Hi everyone, it's been awhile. I've been reading but have no time to post. Hope everyone is doing well.

I miss Clay.

I second that. Grad school is kickin' my butt lately.

Happy Celebrations to all those who have had celebrations of any kind! From new iPods to birthdays to anniversaries...that should cover everything, lol.

jazzgirl, I also thought about that many times while listening - that Clay chose both these songs. Sure, they showcase the girls powerhouse voices wonderfully. But they are both lyrically poignant songs. Things that make you go, hmmmmm, for sure.

I think he just liked the songs and thought they would suit A & Q's voices. I doubt there was any deep, profound meaning to those songs being in the show. JMO and all that.

As for the rivet, I think it is a sooooper sekrit messaging device involved in a new branch of study called Claymate telegraphy. It emits messages that only Claymates can decipher. Perhaps the messages are quite similar to Morse code, that is, long blinks, short blinks, etc. I can just imagine the video study that could go into this project........

BWAH!!!

I'm just not sure Clay did anything but think A & Q would kill on those songs... and they did. Quiana connected to the emotion of her song, but while Angela sang Listen very well, I didn't get the same emotional connection. She may have been just a little toooo challenged by that song and therefore focused on gettin' er done and not so much on the emotion of it.

The bolded is interesting to me because I had the exact opposite reaction. I thought Quiana sang beautifully but didn't connect emotionally at all. I though Angela KILLED on "Listen" and felt every lyric right down to her bones. I thought when Clay and Quiana sang "Listen" in Sterling Heights while they sounded great it lacked the emotional intensity of Angela's version. IMO, Angela owned that song. She sang it to perfection and she to me connected very strongly to the lyrics. To me, it was me it was one of the top highlights of this tour. She completely moved me.

I think Clay chooses songs that he believes will showcase Angela and Quiana's vocal gifts. It's possible that he relates to the songs lyrically, but my suspicion is that he just thinks they're beautiful, expressive songs that allow the women to demonstrate their vocal and dramatic range. The fact that he not only shares the stage with them so generously, but chooses material that brings out their best qualities, tells me that he really wants the best for them. I know some fans would rather have more Clay, but honestly, his affection and respect for them is something I really love about him. And personally, I'd rather have him travel with people he's happy with than have a couple of extra songs.

xxx4clay, I'm the complete opposite. I know when I met you and can remember each time we saw each other again during the summer tour, but I kept thinking to myself after reading all these posts -- why haven't I met AAIT?

I did meet you, Scarlett, but you were in sorta busy at the time! I was toni7babe's guest at the CH preparty in Houston and she introduced us, you were so gracious and it was wonderful to meet you, but you were sorta busy at the time! Great party!! :F_05BL17blowkiss: I saw you a few times after that, but it was always in a group.

And I actually saw AAIT on the elevator at the hotel in Tampa but was too shy to introduce myself... and I did get to meet xxx at a pre-party in WPB... we really didn't talk much and I managed not to embarrass myself even though I wanted to bow down (I was excited to meet her after reading so many of her funny posts!)... I'll have to make more of a point of trying to meet people at the Christmas concerts - I'm lucky enough to be near quite a few so my sister and I are doing Waukegan (which is like 45 minutes to an hour away), Kalamazoo and the Merrillville (which happens to be on my birthday - yay me!)... hopefully people won't run the other way....
Oh, spikesmom, I wish you'd said something in that elevator in Tampa!! Right now I'm associating you with the cherry jello thingy from last weekend and being so impressed that you whipped it up at 10 o'clock at night, and that I enjoy reading your posts! I still haven't bought the ingredients for the cherry jello thingy (and thank you, Bookwhore, for the recipe that started all this)!!! You are on my list of people I hope to meet!!! :F_05BL17blowkiss: And, yes, xxx is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She's even been called 'sweet', and I agree.

I agree thah Clay likes to showcase Angela and Quiana. I think he is still trying to help Quiana to get her own contract. It is funny that some fans accuse Clay of doing a lot of stuff for his friend, but I don't find him doing vey much except for mentioning them from time to time, but he does love to showcase Quiana more than anyone else. I would really like to hear the recorded version of IWTKWLI with Quiana. I bet it was better than the one released, but , then again, who knows. He has made sure that she has a nice resume though.

Beautiful statement, playbiller, (bolding of it, mine). Yes, he has. I also adore Q's voice and I really enjoyed Angela a lot on this past tour. I'm so glad those three have each other, and we have them too! I would also LOVE to hear C&Q's recorded version of IWTKWLI.

I've had WPB SRHP playing while working around the house today. What an excellent, superb show that was. I was sick at it, early-ish stages of bronchitis, and the night is kind of fuzzy, but I know I loved it and then put it as my second favorite of what I'd seen, next to Pala, in first. And I still agree with that assessment! I'm d/l'ing Scarlett's WPB vids right now and can't wait to refresh my memory with visuals as well. Thank you, Scarlett, and all the Clack gatherers. Much and many :F_05BL17blowkiss: :F_05BL17blowkiss: :F_05BL17blowkiss: 's!!!

I also met someone else who I think has a different name here but the same avi :cryingwlaughter: but I can't remember their screenname here!

I think that would be me, canuck. duckyvee AKA vjm. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Ha!!!! I figured that was you!!! Hugs! Loved meeting you in Cali!!! :)

:XmasRed:

I enjoyed Quiana and Angie's solos so much this tour - more than any other tour. Plus, I just have to "word" Bookwhore who I believe posted earlier about never hearing the lyrics of "My Grown Up Christmas List" until Clay sang it. He blew me away and it became my favourite Christmas song. I love Q but I had never heard the words until Clay sang it on (I think) GMA! GAH!!! I was toast!

I miss him.

I hope he choppered into his reunion this weekend! :)

Who originally sang WTLGD? Is it from a musical...prob should know that *shrug* might as well ask the same about Listen.

BTW, last night as I was feeding my little GS I caught "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?" I never "won" more than $ 25000.*blush* Those questions were way harder than Clay's, yes they were!! :blink:

cheers :trink4:

I think Clay chooses songs that he believes will showcase Angela and Quiana's vocal gifts. It's possible that he relates to the songs lyrically, but my suspicion is that he just thinks they're beautiful, expressive songs that allow the women to demonstrate their vocal and dramatic range. The fact that he not only shares the stage with them so generously, but chooses material that brings out their best qualities, tells me that he really wants the best for them. I know some fans would rather have more Clay, but honestly, his affection and respect for them is something I really love about him. And personally, I'd rather have him travel with people he's happy with than have a couple of extra songs.

Word. I happen to love that he give A & Q a chance to stand center stage. It is very generous of him and to me they just add to the show. And I love that they all seem to love each other so much.

And I actually saw AAIT on the elevator at the hotel in Tampa but was too shy to introduce myself...

AAIT must like to hang out in elevators! I ran into her in the elevator at the hotel in WPB!

I THINK WTLGD was sung by Faith Hill and "LIsten" comes from "Dreamgirls".

ETA: Ok, so laughn beat me to the info on WTLGD....

Edited by Claygasm

Who originally sang WTLGD? Is it from a musical...prob should know that *shrug* might as well ask the same about Listen.

I don't know if WTLGD is from a musical but I think I remember reading that WTLGD was sung previously by Faith Hill (hope I have that right). And Listen is from Dreamgirls.

ETA: Claygasm, and several other places too!!! Glad you're here!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

At least usually in Clay Nation when one has a question, they'll likely get several replies with the same answer!!

Edited by AnAmeraikenInTX

My husband and a group of his friends do SEVERAL John Prine songs. He's a fantastic songwritier. "Paradise" is my favorite.

I think Clay chooses songs that he believes will showcase Angela and Quiana's vocal gifts. It's possible that he relates to the songs lyrically, but my suspicion is that he just thinks they're beautiful, expressive songs that allow the women to demonstrate their vocal and dramatic range. The fact that he not only shares the stage with them so generously, but chooses material that brings out their best qualities, tells me that he really wants the best for them.

That's how I see it too. I think with both of these choices, he thought he found songs that fit their respective voices, and I think he may have been hoping that both ladies would find the emotional connection. (For the record, I think Angela connected with her song better than Quiana, but I also think that both ladies KICKED BUTT!).

I know some fans would rather have more Clay, but honestly, his affection and respect for them is something I really love about him. And personally, I'd rather have him travel with people he's happy with than have a couple of extra songs.

Bolding mine. Again, agree two hundred percent. He seems to enjoy their company (and they his). Sure, I'd love to be selfish and want more and more of Clay, but I also want him to do what he thinks will make him happiest. There's a balance there, and it's one that he seems to have found by sharing the spotlight with the talented people around him.

I was toni7babe's guest at the CH preparty in Houston and she introduced us, you were so gracious and it was wonderful to meet you, but you were sorta busy at the time! Great party!! :F_05BL17blowkiss: I saw you a few times after that, but it was always in a group.

Aha! That's how you managed to infiltrate the CH party! Heh. I'm glad I met you that night.... I remember congratulating you on your M&G.

spikesmom, I'll see you in Waukegan and Merrillville, so you'd better come up to me if you can find me and tell me who you are!!!

WTLGD is originally a Faith Hill song, while Listen is from the movie version (only) of Dreamgirls, sung by Beyonce.

And yes, I know 5 other people type faster than I do, I don't care -- I'm leaving my post as it is! :imgtongue:

ETA: Just downloaded some Scarlett clack from GMA last year. I didn't realize she was there! It some good stuff....I haven't watched it all yet, but he was so adorable that day.

AAAAACCCHHHH Claygasm stole my post...hee

But hey I thought a lot about it so I will post anyway

I'm just not sure Clay did anything but think A & Q would kill on those songs... and they did. Quiana connected to the emotion of her song, but while Angela sang Listen very well, I didn't get the same emotional connection. She may have been just a little toooo challenged by that song and therefore focused on gettin' er done and not so much on the emotion.

I have the opposite reaction from you. too Although I found Q sang WTLGD really well...I didn't think she understood or personalized the message of the song. To me she was very much like a story teller simply singing about other people's lives. I think the fact that a lot of us are surprised by how sad and depressing the song really was shows me that she was not able to convey the emotion of the song very well. I think its because she tends to rush through the verses and she had the same cadence through out...it didn't feel like it was her story.

Angela on the other hand...she has made me tear up so many times with that song. She sings it like it was her anthem...like she is giving notice to all that she is making her mark. I love KAndre's comparison of the way Beyonce sings this song with Angela's...I remember in San Diego...I swear she was tearing up when she started singing and I will never forget watching Angela's mom stand up for her even before she was done in LA...give me goose bumps every time. I am not always a big fan of Angela's singing...but she OWNED listen, IMO.

ITA CG...I love Q and Clay's duet because I loved how two great singers were able to improvise and sing that very difficult duet. BUT they were just trying to get through...no real attempt to convey the meaning of the lyrics IMO ...and thats ok...it was not their song, they just had to do it one night...

As much as I enjoyed Q MGUCL...I love Clay's version so much more. It always makes me cry and again...I feel like he is really internalizing the song...not just singing.

JennaZ WORD...I think he simply chose two very dramatic songs that he knew would showcase Q&A's voices very well...he did good with the choices.

eta: I always thought that giving the backups solo hd two purpose...One, to showcase their talent...two, to give Clay a break. I know we always want more andmore of Clay but he is not a robot...he has to take care not to overwork himself...

I guess I'm firmly on the fence on this one - I don't think he just chose songs at random. I also think he would connect to both of these songs, lyrically, just given the things he's said publicly (about life in LA) and knowing how he's struggled to have his voice heard (in many ways). So no, I don't think they are neccessarily anthems, but I believe he would feel a connection to both songs. And he knew they'd blow the roof off with them.

Both solos were absolutely highlights of the show for me. And Angie completely won me over this tour, in every way. I hardly ever listen to Listen (hee!) without a little lump in my throat at some point. She absolutely owns it. Just for fun, check out either of her first performances (Houston or Tulsa) and follow it immediately with a Florida version. Incredible. I also very much enjoyed her 'Jesus, Born on this Day' from the first JNT. There isn't much clack of it, but I simply love it. It's criminal that neither of these ladies have a major label contract.

But the best part of all was the obvious comfort level of the three of them on stage. It reflected in every thing they did, and brought bit of magic to the stage, IMO.

Edited by cindilu2

I'm also so much happier having Q and A sing solos than having to sit through an Opening act. :) Clay just seems to radiate pride when the girls sing their solos. It makes me schmoopy. :)

This is making me so angsty with having to wait for November. BRING IT ON!!!

:xmas07a: