# 19: Clay Aiken: glorious voice, excellent comic actor, master of character and man in tights!

ldyjocelyn

Next thread title poll  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the next main thread title

• Clay is just so frickin' cute! Cute, cute, cute!
    • Clay Aiken, star of stage, screen, television and our hearts
    • He's just a gorgeous piece of manhood
    • Our man for all seasons and so many reasons
    • I am looking forward to every beautiful, funny, cheese-a-licious thing he throws my way this Christmas.
    • Looking forward to our Christmas romp in the snow with our Boyfriend!
    • GAHHHHH A main course of sexy, considerate, cute, hot, humble, witty, wise (& wise-ass) Clay for dinner, and then a helping of Teacher Clay for dessert. Life is good!
    • "What do you like?" Clay asks the little girl Sierra. And she said "I like you" She has good taste.
    • He has always been all that he is now, which is much more than he has often been given credit for, and even less than he is yet to become.
    • I think the world will always need Clay Aiken more than Clay Aiken needs the world. He is a realist; a survivor, and a star no matter how badly someone cuts his hair.
    • Was he beginning to get a clue that life would never be the same?
    • I am looking forward to every beautiful, funny, cheese-a-licious thing he throws my way this Christmas.
    • "Seriously, if I get any more excited about Clay being in Spamalot, I may spontaneously combust!"
    • "Spam me, baby!"

Eh, I care a little - I can go back to caring a little because no one's beating me repeatedly over the head with how terrible Clay's promotion was. I would like to see him everywhere 'cause I find him to be cute and I personally like his music. I have seen J Lo everywhere (especially that little dancey commercial she's got) - and she still only sold 53K in her first week. And absolutely nothing to me. But I also have never been a real "album"/artist person - I have learned just because I like a song from somebody, the rest of their stuff doesn't particularly speak to me. Clay is my exception. I do like 98% of his stuff - hell, if I hear him sing it live, that percentage jumps to 99.8% (still hate the mouse song and his solo version of Open Arms, and cannot be forced to listen to Here, There and Everywhere ever again. Though I think his is better that the Beatles' version. thinks for a second, Hey! KF! I still like 16 of the 27 tracks on that Beatles "1" thingie!)

Some discussion of promotion can be fun - because I think he looked so freakin' good in that Wal-Mart thingie, though really...not live singing looking. I don't wanna say lip syncing, though I don't see how he could avoid it. And little unexpected hits of Clay are fun, especially somebody finds it and posts it and everybody runs over to look.

I'm think I'm just one of those who find some promotional discussion interesting without worrying about it. But then again, I don't worry about a lot - except for spawn of the devil dentists.

I've always wondered about those "erections for four hours" dealios. Don't the guys realize that their erstwhile partner might say to themselves, "Hey! This should have been over 3 and half hours ago! This is NOT better living through chemistry! I've got things to see and people to stop doing!" I wouldn't even do Clay for four hours...straight. I'd want 10 minute breaks every hours. I think OSHA has rules...

I enjoyed reading your post. I expecially liked the last paragraph. So true and too funny. They do say if an erection lasts for more than 4 hours, you need to call your doctor. I don't care who "he" calls; I'd be calling an ambulance.

Some discussion of promotion can be fun - because I think he looked so freakin' good in that Wal-Mart thingie, though really...not live singing looking. I don't wanna say lip syncing, though I don't see how he could avoid it.

Heh, do you mean the commercials, or the Walmart soundcheck? Cuz the soundcheck was definitely live.

I've always wondered about those "erections for four hours" dealios. Don't the guys realize that their erstwhile partner might say to themselves, "Hey! This should have been over 3 and half hours ago! This is NOT better living through chemistry! I've got things to see and people to stop doing!" I wouldn't even do Clay for four hours...straight. I'd want 10 minute breaks every hours. I think OSHA has rules...

:cryingwlaughter:

I think Clay's sales problem is less that of label support than it is of fan support. Some fans have moved on, and some fans are still trying to prove points.

I never thought he had a sales problem. 205,000 in the first week, 3 years off of Idol was nothing to sneeze at! and I don't believe that fans moving on or fans proving points (by not buying) affected it much at all. That gives far too much power to the rabid, online fanbase, which is relatively small as compared to the the not.just.us, who provide the majority of sales, IMO. Now, "fans" (and I use the term loosely) bad-mouthing it on major sites like Amazon, etc is whole other story......

And that is about as much as you will ever hear me say on the topic of promotion or sales! Just bring on the next appearance, baybee! AYSTAFG tomorrow, yeehaw! And I saw an ad for it last night during House, which was so cool. One of the guys here at work saw it as well, because he asked me if I was going to be watching it. YAY for Clay on my TV!

KAndre... :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

hallo14.gif

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

spiderpotty.gif

I am in love with Sedaka Clay, both in song and in looks. Superb in everyway!!!

Neil4.jpg

GAH!!!

Glad the quake wasn't a BAD one. I love small quakes, cause that releaves the pressure so we don't get the BIG one. Keep 'em coming! Always hard on the nerves, tho!

Last night as my hubby and I were watching "Bones" the AYSTAFG promo came on and hubby said, "There's your guy...." We watched and then Mr. Muski said, "His hair's greasy...why is that? Why does his hair look oily like that? I've noticed it before....maybe after rehearsing and just waiting around, sweating or soemthing?"

I looked at him, puzzled. I mean, WTF is HE doing noticing Clay's HAIR!? That's OUR job! :cryingwlaughter: Then I laughed and told him how people went berserk when we first got a look at THIS particular hair incarnation....

I said, "You know, basically he's said he just sits there and lets whoever do whatever, you know? I mean about his looks...sometimes I imagine he just comes out on stage because it's time to, without even thinking about it...certainly from his candid pics, he doesn't put a lot of store in appearances. Then again, when he was on the Sedaka tribute, his hair looked GREAT! So go figure."

Mr. Muski just nodded and then when the announcer said the day and time of the show, he addded, 'Well, there you go. The TV's yours then."

BWAH! :cryingwlaughter:

I love this board, by the way... :F_05BL17blowkiss: Oh, and KAndre---a four-hour erection? No thanks. If I've got four hours with Clay, I'd like to diversify... :hubbahubba: He wouldn't need an erection to have fun with these hands:

WestPointhands.jpg

or these cheekbones:

post-98-1103426040.png

or this

4aiwsatisfaction.jpg

or this:

Slurrrps-1.jpg

or this:

tummy-1.jpg

OR THESE!

Lips.jpg

:Thud:

Could we have a show of hands for those that think men don't rule. In case you wonder why I'm so talkative this morning, (posting pig), my husband left for Fla. this morning to play golf with buds. He left me two 10 dollar gift certificates to Cracker Barrel. Since it's Halloween, I have my voodoo out playing with it. There is no justice in this world and someone must pay. LOL!!!!

ETA- OMGoodness, I love the pictures. I think I'm all better now.

By the way....I was upstairs sitting on the toilet when the earthquake hit... I could only calmly watch my clothes swaying from their hangars in the closet nearby and wait it out....I couldn't really get up at the time to move to a safer place under a doorframe, you see.

Figures. :cryingwlaughter:

By the way....I was upstairs sitting on the toilet when the earthquake hit... I could only calmly watch my clothes swaying from their hangars in the closet nearby and wait it out....I couldn't really get up at the time to move to a safer place under a doorframe, you see.

You add some blinking Chirstmas lights and a Hawaiian-shirted Santa to that scenario, and I think you've got yourself a prize-winning Holiday story there...

Seriously, I'm glad that everyone's okay. The earthquake must have been a frightening experience.

Muski.... only you! :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

Bottlecap... I love your avi... LOL

Sometimes I just want to fill up on candy corn and spin around until I’m dizzy and out of breathe, and then I wanna spend the rest of the day talking to my friends about the really cute boy in the lunch line, ya know?

Oh, that sounds good! Let's spin together!

:cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

I'm glad that everyone in California is okay. Hopefully there won't be any nasty aftershocks.

I didn't watch House last night, but my hubby and daughter did, and they mentioned the Clay commercial. It will be soooo fun to have Clay on my teeeveeee tomorrow night!

Happy Halloween!

Halloween2.jpg

I'll bet if you asked most watchers of AI, which was the best season, they would answer the Ruben and Clay season.

Yes. I think Ruben and Clay put Idol on the map. And to be honest, Clay more than anyone made Idol the must-see show that year. He was the sleeper, the Cinderfella, the human interest juggernaut.

Here's a little aside for you atinal -- and other lovers of The Eagles. This morning I had Jackson Browne in my head and played one of his vintage albums when I started for town. I had forgotten that his song The Late Show featured The Eagles on backup vocals, and it is such a great song with Jackson and The Eagles right at the full bloom of their recording careers. If you aren't familiar with that song, and I know you love The Eagles, I highly recommend it. On the same album (Late for the Sky) Don Henley and JD Souther sing backup on Fountain of Sorrow. I know I must have mentioned one or twice or twenty times that I think it's one of the best albums of all time, and in my estimation the very best from the California 70's era. The word masterpiece gets thrown around a lot, but this album will always be JB's masterpiece for me. These aren't all happy songs, but they touch my soul.

What a beautiful day! After listening to The Late Show song, it led me to recall the night in 1988 that I met one of my guardian angels face to face. And that's not a joke. Then I pulled into my favorite Starbucks and the Starbucks guy wouldn't let go of my hand when he gave me change, and told me how much I brighten his day. Then he gave me some "heart" stick-ons for my computer. Okay, I've charmed the Starbucks guy, but now I need to charm somebody who can afford to support me so I can stop working and go to all the Clay Aiken concerts and appearances. Ya'll know anybody?

One of my coworkers just stuck her head in to say she saw Clay on the AYSTAFG promo several times last night. And I missed seeing it. Must turn on Fox tonight!

KAndre, you CMSU. But then you already knew that. Still, you are so consistent --

I've got things to see and people to stop doing.

I did not watch House last night, I was watching Dancing with the Stars, but I did tape it so I will see the commercial sometime today. I did have Fox on for my local news at 10pm and was able to see the commercial then. I can not wait. I informed my husband the recorder is mine.

I am now eating a honey crisp apple. I had to try it after all the discussion. It is good but I think I still like granny smith better. This apple is huge!

I do not worry about Clays promotion. We can not do a thing about it. I just enjoy when he is on. I do not have cable so whenever he is on that I have to have my mother tape it for me. Im reading people reactions at the time and wishing I could see.

It is just so fustrating when a great performance occurs and people are negative especially about his hair , what he has on, the time he is on, or anything else they may find to bitch about. I was glad to read not one negative comment on Fri. night. I love the pictures and have watch it more times then I want to admit. My friend who is going to Kalamazzo with me does not go on the boards and has not seen it yet. She is coming over on Thurs to view.

Just a quick bop in to say....we're heading to out of town again. My MIL passed away this morning, and the funeral will be Friday. I have no idea when I'll be back.

Glad all those in the earthquake zone are in good shape. For those heading to Vegas, have fun...and cheer on Clay for me tomorrow night.

Idyjocely: I am so sorry for your loss. As our parents get older we know that the day will come but that does not make it any easier. I know that with my mother being 86 that one day that call will come. She has been by herself since my dad past away when I was 17 and is such a strong person. I hope you remember all the good times and can share them with many other family members.

Here is something sad - Bo's fans celebrated his departure from RCA - he is now on an independent label and they celebrated the fact he could now make the music he wanted, looks like his album is self produced and it is released - has anyone seen or heard anything about it unless you search for it. No TV, zippo, none.

So true. In fact, the only place I've heard about it is here, on this message board. Major labels may mean less control for the artist, but it also tends to mean wider distribution and greater promotional opportunities.

IMHO, this notion that Clay received no promotion is absurd. Many artists would kill to have the exposure he did. It may not have been exactly the same as some other artists, but he wasn't invisible. Not to rehash the whole promotional gerbil wheel, but to me, what happened with ATDW was more a misreading of the market than anything else.

I think at some level, all of us do care about Clay's career. However, not all of us want to engage in the kind of obsessive worry and paranoia that has infected so many others in the fandom. As Baz Luhrman put it in "Everybody's Free to Wear Sunscreen"

Don't worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind; the kind that blindside you at 4pm on some idle Tuesday.

I have thought for a long time that Clay's career path would not be a standard one, simply because he's a very unique individual. He has a fantastic voice, but he's not a classical singer and he doesn't seem quite drawn to the kind of music that is currently popular on Top 40 radio. He's good looking, but by his own admission, geeky. However, he's a compelling entertainer with very real comedic gifts. I can see why he'd be a marketing challenge for label executives. Artists like Daughtrey or Carrie Underwood are much easier to pigeonhole, and thus, promote.

I don't know if RCA has the creativity to effectively market Clay. I hope they figure things out. However, I almost get the sense that Clay may be driving his career more than the label, now. All these television appearances, Spamalot, even his recent tour, seem to be positioning him as something more than just a singer. And if he does break through, the label will be more than happy to capitalize.

I remain cautiously optimistic. I don't want to set up lofty, unrealistic expectations. However, I'm willing to bet that Clay has something up his sleeve. This was a guy who lost to Quiana in Charlotte, but went on to win over the judges in Atlanta. Who got cut in the first round of Idol, but came back to win the Wildcard vote. Who lost to Ruben in the finals, but ended up completely overshadowing him in album and concert sales. There is something in him that learns from adversity and comes back even stronger.

So sorry to hear about your loss, (((ldyjocelyn))).

Aww... ldyjocelyn. I'm so sorry. It's great you went and had time with your MIL last week! I hope that eases some of the pain of your loss!

squeeze.gif

I love small quakes, cause that releaves the pressure so we don't get the BIG one. Keep 'em coming! Always hard on the nerves, tho!

Ok, yeah... I'm goin' with that! :lol:

You add some blinking Chirstmas lights and a Hawaiian-shirted Santa to that scenario, and I think you've got yourself a prize-winning Holiday story there...

:cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

Happy Halloween, FCA!

th_hall03-1117.jpg

We're ("we" meaning the actual talented people, not me) having a Photoshop Halloween party at getclayaiken.com all day if you wanna come by and see what the nuts cook up or even participate yourself.

I have thought for a long time that Clay's career path would not be a standard one, simply because he's a very unique individual. He has a fantastic voice, but he's not a classical singer and he doesn't seem quite drawn to the kind of music that is currently popular on Top 40 radio. He's good looking, but by his own admission, geeky. However, he's a compelling entertainer with very real comedic gifts. I can see why he'd be a marketing challenge for label executives. Artists like Daughtrey or Carrie Underwood are much easier to pigeonhole, and thus, promote.

I don't know if RCA has the creativity to effectively market Clay. I hope they figure things out. However, I almost get the sense that Clay may be driving his career more than the label, now. All these television appearances, Spamalot, even his recent tour, seem to be positioning him as something more than just a singer. And if he does break through, the label will be more than happy to capitalize.

I remain cautiously optimistic. I don't want to set up lofty, unrealistic expectations. However, I'm willing to bet that Clay has something up his sleeve. This was a guy who lost to Quiana in Charlotte, but went on to win over the judges in Atlanta. Who got cut in the first round of Idol, but came back to win the Wildcard vote. Who lost to Ruben in the finals, but ended up completely overshadowing him in album and concert sales. There is something in him that learns from adversity and comes back even stronger.

Jenna... LOVE your words. Agree totally! He is not pigeonholeable (is too a word) and IMO has no intention of being pigeonholed, either. I think he has too much fun surprising everyone to ever go there... Or, you could just say he in process of making his own hole and no one else will ever fit into it, just our Clay pigeon!

ldy, hubby and family... condolances for the loss of your MIL.