# 19: Clay Aiken: glorious voice, excellent comic actor, master of character and man in tights!

ldyjocelyn

Next thread title poll  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the next main thread title

• Clay is just so frickin' cute! Cute, cute, cute!
    • Clay Aiken, star of stage, screen, television and our hearts
    • He's just a gorgeous piece of manhood
    • Our man for all seasons and so many reasons
    • I am looking forward to every beautiful, funny, cheese-a-licious thing he throws my way this Christmas.
    • Looking forward to our Christmas romp in the snow with our Boyfriend!
    • GAHHHHH A main course of sexy, considerate, cute, hot, humble, witty, wise (& wise-ass) Clay for dinner, and then a helping of Teacher Clay for dessert. Life is good!
    • "What do you like?" Clay asks the little girl Sierra. And she said "I like you" She has good taste.
    • He has always been all that he is now, which is much more than he has often been given credit for, and even less than he is yet to become.
    • I think the world will always need Clay Aiken more than Clay Aiken needs the world. He is a realist; a survivor, and a star no matter how badly someone cuts his hair.
    • Was he beginning to get a clue that life would never be the same?
    • I am looking forward to every beautiful, funny, cheese-a-licious thing he throws my way this Christmas.
    • "Seriously, if I get any more excited about Clay being in Spamalot, I may spontaneously combust!"
    • "Spam me, baby!"

I remain cautiously optimistic. I don't want to set up lofty, unrealistic expectations. However, I'm willing to bet that Clay has something up his sleeve. This was a guy who lost to Quiana in Charlotte, but went on to win over the judges in Atlanta. Who got cut in the first round of Idol, but came back to win the Wildcard vote. Who lost to Ruben in the finals, but ended up completely overshadowing him in album and concert sales. There is something in him that learns from adversity and comes back even stronger.

So true, JennaZ. I don't know if appearing in Spamalot will give some enormous boost to Clay's recording career, but I have to think that just hanging around with such a talented group of performers and musicians night after night can't help but have a positive impact when the time comes for Clay to take the stage again for his solo tours. I have hopes that NYC TV types will see him while he's on Broadway and whatnot, but who knows? Clay seems to be able to make useful contacts and connections wherever he goes - connections that lead on to the next opportunity. [i've still got my fingers crossed that the former UNICEF president that went to work for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will hook a brother up, ya know?]

I remain cautiously optimistic. I don't want to set up lofty, unrealistic expectations. However, I'm willing to bet that Clay has something up his sleeve. This was a guy who lost to Quiana in Charlotte, but went on to win over the judges in Atlanta. Who got cut in the first round of Idol, but came back to win the Wildcard vote. Who lost to Ruben in the finals, but ended up completely overshadowing him in album and concert sales. There is something in him that learns from adversity and comes back even stronger.

So true, JennaZ. I don't know if appearing in Spamalot will give some enormous boost to Clay's recording career, but I have to think that just hanging around with such a talented group of performers and musicians night after night can't help but have a positive impact when the time comes for Clay to take the stage again for his solo tours. I have hopes that NYC TV types will see him while he's on Broadway and whatnot, but who knows? Clay seems to be able to make useful contacts and connections wherever he goes - connections that lead on to the next opportunity. [i've still got my fingers crossed that the former UNICEF president that went to work for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will hook a brother up, ya know?]

I agree with both of you. The experience and attention Clay will receive with Spamalot is invaluable. What a great opportunity for Clay considering his variety of interests in the entertainment field.

ETA- Idyjocelyn-- I'm so sorry for your loss.

So sorry ldyjocelyn. It's good that you were both able to see her last week.

I ate a gala apple yesterday, no comparison, in my mind, to the honeycrisps. Apples are my candy so the flavor and crispocity is very important to me.

I am also interested in Clay's business dealings, just because that was what I did for my entire working career. But I rarely have an opinion about whether he made the right move or not because I'm not privy to all his choices. It saves me from a lot of angst. I do worry about people who take everything he does personally. I wonder how it affects their personal relationships. :drama:

And it irks me no end when I see certain posters who encourage others to get upset about every little thing. I have five or six posters turned off at the OFC who fit in that catagory. :bigemo_harabe_net-24:

Next week! :20:

JennaZ :14:

Play, so many reasons for living in California...the beautiful no humid weather, the eternal sunshine, the wonderful laid back people, the live and let live attitudes, the ocean and the mountains, great winery's, et al. I wouldn't live anywhere else. But that said, we do have our share of shit with the fires and earthquakes and whatnot.

Gibby, you must be an accomplished pianist to be playing for all of those choirs! Did you have classical training? Do your daughters play?

Ldyjocelyn, Sorry for the loss but thankfully you and hubby got some closure by going last week. I know the word closure is an overused term but it's so important to not leave things unsaid when you are losing a loved one.

I'm think I'm just one of those who find some promotional discussion interesting without worrying about it. But then again, I don't worry about a lot - except for spawn of the devil dentists.

I've always wondered about those "erections for four hours" dealios. Don't the guys realize that their erstwhile partner might say to themselves, "Hey! This should have been over 3 and half hours ago! This is NOT better living through chemistry! I've got things to see and people to stop doing!" I wouldn't even do Clay for four hours...straight. I'd want 10 minute breaks every hours. I think OSHA has rules...

Hold a grudge do you? You are so funny :cryingwlaughter: :cryingwlaughter: These days we need a test for AIDS, STD's and erections lasting over 4 hours. Although I became a virgin :29: , I do remember sex as being a lot of fun but all of these issues just may spoil some of that fun. :imgtongue:

Honeycrisp apples are very good, a little on the sweet side but they are so crisp and fresh so I can work thru the sweetness. They really are a wonderful apple and much like the Granny Smith in crispness. If they could just cross the Granny with the Honey we would have a perfect apple.

I didn't feel the earthquake! Unusual but good. Happy Halloween to all you ghouls, ghosts and goblins....don't eat the candy little girl!

LdyJ -- much love to you and hubby. I'm piling on to say that it was so good that you two were able to make the trip last week. I know you'll always be thankful for that. Have a safe journey and know that our thoughts travel with you.

ETA: It's lonely at the top.

And it irks me no end when I see certain posters who encourage others to get upset about every little thing. I have five or six posters turned off at the OFC who fit in that catagory. :bigemo_harabe_net-24:

Fear, I love your posts! Like KAndre, I love to talk about promotion- but's it's just another topic not the lens through which I view my Clay world. Neither is /Clay's status as a super rock star/ or Clay as victim. What he is going through is freakin' life and we all go through it, most of us on much smaller scales (of course not to us LOL-my own work issues are a big part of my life).

I don't much listen to the experts because A) that are used to selling nuts and bolts not pop stars. Nobody cares about the image of a nut and bolt - they just want it to work. Second, even if they have some minimal expertise they are FANS and therefore NOT objective. That may be unfair to one or two people, but really for me, that's the way it works. We've seen that just because you love Clay, your press release doesn't get special recognition or hell even cause a blip so that matters not to me. I just need people with contacts to do their jobs. And I just happen to think people care more about their reputations than living their lives to destroy Clay. If it turns out I was wrong, so what. I won't have wasted all these years depressed. heh. Not saying the record industry is a benevolent environment but no business is.

LdyJ :F_05BL17blowkiss: I'm glad you and your husband had the opportunity to see her. Take care.

California earthquakes. I've lived here my entire life and have only been really shaken up once or twice but can only remember Loma Prieta. Usually when there is a small quake...and last night was a bit larger than most...it's customary to ask the people closest to you -- did you feel that? You chat about it for 15 seconds and then you forget about it. I'll take that over any other natural disaster. Thunder scares me so don't think I can handle living in places where there are storms all the time or hurricanes etc.

JennaZ...yep yep

So is anybody else walking around work looking at people in costume. I've never been a dress up person but I do enjoy the festivities of the day and the potluck. So today I'm looking at Brittany, and wonder woman, and a cowboy, etc. It's quite fun.

I figured that most people live in California because they don't like snow. I can deal with snow, even the snow that came after Thanksgiving and hung around to may. I remember beating a path in my yard with little off sides for the dog to go pohh. After 3 feet, the dogs don't like to bound through, especially when it gets that hard crust. That was such a weird year, never had another one like it since then - but the Christmas ornaments were pretty much up until May when the snow finally metled and we could get them out of the ground. Most years I just clear my stairs and drive over the snow - it is just not enough to bother with, maybe a few times a year I take out the toy snow blower.

I don't mind discussing promotion in that it is done reasonably. I can't see whining that he does not have every single thing any one person has. Clay gets couch time like no other - why is that so hard to see? The world is just not equal.

Fear is slipping, she missed that hysterical cartoon that YSRN has posted. Children of the Candy Corn. BWAH

Gibby, you must be an accomplished pianist to be playing for all of those choirs! Did you have classical training? Do your daughters play?

Thanks for asking, Toots! Yes, I had a great deal of classical training, and entered a bunch of competitions when I was in high school. The guys who took piano from the same professor got irked 'cuz I always beat them. Heeeee! I was thinking of majoring in music, but ended up in another field. Now I enjoy listening to and playing a large variety of music. Except rap - never have been able to really get into it. My daughters don't play piano, but my older daughter takes voice lessons. She actually won money in a singing competition last year!

Couchie, I'm not at work today, but I went to the high school, and saw some pretty interesting looking costumes there!

I saw what I think was a mummy out in the sunshine at lunch. LOL. I enjoy when the little tykes come to the door in costume. I am not going to enjoy trying to keep the dog from running out into the street every time someone yells Trick or Treat this evening. Nor am I going to enjoy her barking. This will be a first.

So they've taken both the live and replication servers down for the day, for maintenance, here at work. I'm not sure what they expect me to do other than to surf the 'net? :whistling-1:

{{{{ldyjocelyn & family}}}} So sorry for your loss. It doesn't matter how young or old, our Mom is our Mom. I'm very glad you and hubby got to see her this past week.

I, too, succumbed to the hype of the honeycrisp. Gotta tell ya - it's.... an apple. LOL. Sorry, purists.

I figured that most people live in California because they don't like snow.

Nope, I was born and raised in a part of California where it snows every winter and is colder than a well diggers ass (as they used to say). California is a very interesting state and you can get just about any kind of conditions and weather depending where you live. The coastal part of California is just breathtaking and prettier than the east coast with the exception of maybe Maine. The southern part is warm almost all year around and the northern part has mountains and 4 seasons, some snow and heat. The eastern part has high mountains and desert and has it's own kind of beauty. The middle part of the state is where all of the veggies, fruits and cows are... Guess you can tell I love my state. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Fear is slipping, she missed that hysterical cartoon that YSRN has posted. Children of the Candy Corn. BWAH

That is a fabulous job YSRN. I would go see that movie.

Despite my trying to avoid eating those addictive things, candy corn, a friend gave me some today and they are as good as ever. Of course it's only been a few weeks since I bought a bag of them for myself.

Good morning/afternoon (evening?),

I'm so behind, but I'm trying to get caught up and have some random thoughts.

I--personally--think it's grossly insulting to Clay to assume that he's not capable of managing his own business affairs, and that includes RCA. No artist gets a free ride, so I expect he has to put up with his fair share of shit, just like the rest.

Promotion--well, a lot of promotion is [barely disguised and sometimes outright] payola, so I'd just as soon not see Clay smeared when the shit really hits the fan over it. I think that Clay has had a reasonable amount of promotion for a covers album. I imagine it sold about what RCA expected (make a quick buck and run.) I'm not privy to the decision, but with all the crap that went down last year, maybe giving Clay some breathing room and putting out the REAL CD next year is the best move for Clay's career in the long run.

At any rate, I'm just going to listen, love, and lust and let Clay figure it all out. I think it's just wonderful that he is spending his usual break time in tights. I'm thrilled he's addressing some (frigging lucky) group about UNICEF, and I can't wait for AYSTAFG and LV. As far as I can see, with Clay, we have a wealth of riches.

KAndre remembers that she's a native Oregonian...

Oh yeah, California....it's almost as good as Oregon! Heh heh heh!

We won't even discuss Texas.

Oregon coast is beautiful. Where were you born? What, no superlatives for Texas?

I've finally gotten around to the apple discussion. My current favorites are Crispin for a yellow and Jonamac for a red. Both are crisp and on the tart side. I like the Honeycrisp, but it's a bit sweet for me. One apple we are seeing here a lot is the Twenty Ounce. Those babies are huge! They're so big, I haven't dared try one yet. They also have bumpy skin. It's interesting (well, to me at least) that the Twenty Ounce and the Jonathan are about the only names I recognize in a book I have on fruits. It was printed in 1847 and lists dozens of types of apples with their characteristics. Wonder what happened to all those varieties.

Hugs to everyone, whether there's a special reason or not. Everyone needs a :squeeze: at least once a day.

Born in sight of Mt. Hood - city girl born and bred in Portland. For the longest time I though beaches were supposed to be rocky!

Oh, the Texas stuff is too easy...I need a little bit of a challenge...

ldj; So sorry for your loss...take comfort that you were able to see her before the end.

Took me three tries to get in here this afternoon; that was a little scary...I need my hit of sanity amongst all the insanity that is the Claynation on a daily basis.

I generally stay out of the promotion discussions and the constant re-hashing of what did or did not happen with ATDW...I figure we will never really know what happened and it has become a real dead-horse issue to me. It is what it is and now it is time to move on to what comes next!

Biggest pet peeve ever is those posters who make it their mission to bring every piece of negative claptrap out there to the boards; it does nothing to facilitate a good discussion and always leads to hand-wringing and breast-beating and angsting. It is almost laughable how obvious they are and then when you call them on it, they deny, deny, deny. Yeah, I have gotten ticked off enough that I have sent off PM's..not the smartest thing to do, but it made me feel better. Now I just ignore and scroll as fast as I can.

We have had a total of 3 trick or treaters so far...not too many around here anymore, so looks like I will be getting my chocolate fix for the next few days.

Kim

Geez, aikim, your trick or treaters must start early. Mine doesn't start for another 5 minutes - from 6:00 to 8:00. The delayed time change is weird - I'm not used to starting to give out candy when the sun is still up. My pet peeve - kids that can't figure out that my door opens out and have to scoot out of the way quick when I open it.

Geez, aikim, your trick or treaters must start early. Mine doesn't start for another 5 minutes - from 6:00 to 8:00. The delayed time change is weird - I'm not used to starting to give out candy when the sun is still up. My pet peeve - kids that can't figure out that my door opens out and have to scoot out of the way quick when I open it.

Ours goes from 3:00 - 7:00 which is really dumb because most people that work aren't home and the kids don't even get home from school until 3:30, so they usually aren't out until 4 or 5 anyway. Then of course, we always get the older kids later in the evening; but I have learned not open the door after 8:00.

Kim

{{{ldyj}}}

Earthquakes!!! Yikes!!! :scream:

Snow?- only seen it once,as a kid. Now Fires ,Cyclones, Floods? that I can understand. Also big Drought. We are on strict water restrictions here. Can't wash cars, water gardens or use hoses outside at all. And the water commision keeps sending me nasty letters because my household uses too much water. (hope the guy they send to supervise my showers is cute) :whistling-1:

Promotion for Clay? I'm not a big radio listener but I did see AI5 "surprise" on the news here and heard some DJ saying something about "this new song from some AI runner up" It must have been in 2003/04. If I didnt now have cable tv and the internet I would hear nothing down here. I know its only 20 million people but still it couldnt be that expensive to release a record here? Maybe some TV appearances? Worth a shot, in my expert opinion. :D

I'm looking forward to lots of ghosts and goblins tonight. Our neighborhood has started decorating up for Halloween the last couple of years -- orange lights in the trees, huge inflated pumpkins in the yards, "cobwebs" strung from tree to tree --- all of a sudden the neighborhood became a Halloween Carnival! Do people just have too much damned money to spend or what?

Had a blast today. One of the professors, a corpulent man, came dressed as Fairy Godmother and was granting wishes. I've laughed too hard. He's such a character.