#22: Which brings us to Clay Aiken, as most good conversations should

ldyjocelyn

Thread title poll  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should be our next poll title???

• Lordy. He is one more hunkalicious dude!
    • Brown hair and red hair and blonde hair, OH MY!
    • Is He Harboring Weapons of Mass Seduction?
    • "God help us with the dancing part."
    • I love the new hair, and the hair from last week, and the hair from next week.
    • I can pretend he's the little Shetland pony I wanted to play with as a child.
    • He is a man of many parts and all of them can park on my couch anytime!!!
    • When I pushed the Clay button, his voice pushed all of mine.

We're baaaaaaaack. I just walked in the door, and I think luckiest1 is braving yet another store before she actually makes it home. Haven't read even one page back yet, I just have to say that I am spent. The concert was wonderful from start to finish, but that last 20 minutes will go down as some of my most favorite, ever. From the realization of what was going to happen with MGUCL, through the sweet intros and thank you's, the incredibly heart-warming standing O for Brett, the outstanding DSIAFCD and the heart-stopping AIW - well, I can only say, boyfriend gives great concert, y'all.

Merry Christmas With Love, indeed!!!

Oooh, those are lovely. It's hard to imagine just how blond he is until you see it. It just does something... extraordinary to his look. I couldn't put my finger on it, but luckiest1 said it on the way home, and it was a yesss!!! moment for me. He looked like a movie star up there on the stage. Gahhhhhhh. He was (and is) just indescribably gorgeous. He seemed to draw power from the atmosphere as the night went on. It was really magical.

I'm home, and I have a recap brewing, but it's going to have to wait until the wee hours, when everyone here is asleep and I can concentrate. Christmas is in full swing at my house already - my mom arrived before I did today. Suffice to say WORD to whatever cindilu2 has said and will say about Merrillville. What a wonderful experience. And so great to meet aikim and her friends, as well as spend time with old friends couchie, ldyj, and FromClaygary and her buddies.

In closing, he's so pretty. :)

Cindilu2 and luckiest1 Glad you made it home safely. fromClaygary left about 3:30 to drive to O'Hare airport after wrapping with us today. We were all tired and it was so cold sitting by the door; the wind was just fierce and bookmarks and To and From tags were blowing all over the place. But it was a good day.

I am just glad to be home, and warm...just relaxing before my marathon baking and cooking day tomorrow!

Kim

Cindilu2 and luckiest1 Glad you made it home safely. fromClaygary left about 3:30 to drive to O'Hare airport after wrapping with us today. We were all tired and it was so cold sitting by the door; the wind was just fierce and bookmarks and To and From tags were blowing all over the place. But it was a good day.

I am just glad to be home, and warm...just relaxing before my marathon baking and cooking day tomorrow!

Kim

It was great to meet you too, aikim (and I said aikim as I typed that, not a - i - kim ;-).And couchie and ldyj, it is so wonderful to have faces to go with names now!! And couchie? gives great hugs, y'all! I'm sorry the rest of the FCA peeps didn't make it to Unos - maybe next year!!

Okay, I watched AIW - and, lolol, it's good we were in the 23rd row - we could've lost an eye!!

But seriously folks. You need to listen to this one. I didn't think he could top Long Island's AIW from last year for me - but this one? Oh yeah baby. I have a new favorite Clay word/note - the last 'Emmanuel' (at 3:31 in dlh7777's, which is fabulous and clear). He gives it a little twist, and it is exquisite. I recall gasping at the sound of it last night, and I just did it again now. Absolutely breathtaking.

CHRISTMAS SUCKS!

This is why I hate Christmas. My life is dismal and everyone acts like its supposed to be happy.

One kind friend decides I need some cheering up, so she sends me a $25 iTunes gift card. I scratch off the thing in the back that is supposed to reveal the redemption code. But it seems some of the letters and/or numbers also come off. I try many combinations, guessing at the partially decapitated letters and/or numbers, but nothing works. So I contact support. After going round and round with them they tell me if I fax them a copy of the back of the card and the original receipt they will get the code for me.

Original receipt? ITS A GIFT CARD!!!! I don't have the damn original receipt!!

So I can sit and try the possibly millions of combinations of letters and/or numbers to try and guess the correct code, or my friend wasted $25 and I get nothing!

Merry Christmas indeed.

BAH HUMBUG!!!!!!!!

I HATE this time of year! HATE!

Merry Christmas everyone! :xmaskick:

CHRISTMAS SUCKS!

This is why I hate Christmas. My life is dismal and everyone acts like its supposed to be happy.

One kind friend decides I need some cheering up, so she sends me a $25 iTunes gift card. I scratch off the thing in the back that is supposed to reveal the redemption code. But it seems some of the letters and/or numbers also come off. I try many combinations, guessing at the partially decapitated letters and/or numbers, but nothing works. So I contact support. After going round and round with them they tell me if I fax them a copy of the back of the card and the original receipt they will get the code for me.

Original receipt? ITS A GIFT CARD!!!! I don't have the damn original receipt!!

So I can sit and try the possibly millions of combinations of letters and/or numbers to try and guess the correct code, or my friend wasted $25 and I get nothing!

Merry Christmas indeed.

BAH HUMBUG!!!!!!!!

I HATE this time of year! HATE!

Merry Christmas everyone! :xmaskick:

Claygasm - can you get your friend to fax them the receipt??

cha cha, you're right! They're both great smiling pictures, but I prefer the lighter hair...(sorry keepingfaith.. :F_05BL17blowkiss: )

I posted this on CH but want to hear what you guys think, too.

While I was in Barnes and Noble tonight, getting a Northern Exposure season DVD for the hubby, a young man came up and asked the clerk if they had any Josh Groban dvds. He quickly added, 'My mom really likes him." (heh)...The clerk asked if his mom had Josh's "Noel" Christmas CD and he said, "Yeah. She plays it nonstop. But I thought she'd like a dvd."

So the clerk looked it up...yep--two. One is "Josh Groban: Live at the Greek" and the other is "Josh Groban in Concert"

Now here's my question: Long ago I stumbled upon a Josh Groban: Live at the somethingorother" on our local PBS station. I watched for awhile because I DO appreciate the talent and skill of his voice, but quite frankly after a couple of songs I turned the channel. There was SOME banter, but no spark---no magic. I heard a lovely voice but wasn't being entertained.

And he has TWO live performance DVDs for sale.

I honestly wonder WHY we haven't seen a Clay Aiken live in concert dvd. It seems like such a slam dunk. The man is his own best salesman---all people have to do is experience one---one single freaking concert! I just don't get it.

GAH. I just watched AIW a few (dozen) more times. He is simply amazing. I swear he didn't need that microphone last night - his voice, and his presence filled every corner of that auditorium. GAH.

muski, I believe Clay's time will come for the PBS and DVD things. I really believe after Spamalot, he is going to get a lot more of the right kind of attention again. I believe. ETA: I don't think it's a simple as that, CG. Clay said himself without enough original material, it wasn't cost-effective to pay for the rights to a DVD. There are probably other reasons we don't know about too. But I doubt anything is as simple as that.

Or maybe I'm just still too much on a concert high (have I mentioned how much I LOVED THIS CONCERT??) to declare Clay not popular or not well thought of. I figure I'll wait at least 24 hours after the end of a tour before I start angsting over what he doesn't have.

God Bless us every one [/TinyTim].

cha cha, you're right! They're both great smiling pictures, but I prefer the lighter hair...(sorry keepingfaith.. :F_05BL17blowkiss: )

I posted this on CH but want to hear what you guys think, too.

While I was in Barnes and Noble tonight, getting a Northern Exposure season DVD for the hubby, a young man came up and asked the clerk if they had any Josh Groban dvds. He quickly added, 'My mom really likes him." (heh)...The clerk asked if his mom had Josh's "Noel" Christmas CD and he said, "Yeah. She plays it nonstop. But I thought she'd like a dvd."

So the clerk looked it up...yep--two. One is "Josh Groban: Live at the Greek" and the other is "Josh Groban in Concert"

Now here's my question: Long ago I stumbled upon a Josh Groban: Live at the somethingorother" on our local PBS station. I watched for awhile because I DO appreciate the talent and skill of his voice, but quite frankly after a couple of songs I turned the channel. There was SOME banter, but no spark---no magic. I heard a lovely voice but wasn't being entertained.

And he has TWO live performance DVDs for sale.

I honestly wonder WHY we haven't seen a Clay Aiken live in concert dvd. It seems like such a slam dunk. The man is his own best salesman---all people have to do is experience one---one single freaking concert! I just don't get it.

Because like it or not, Clay is NOT as big as Josh Groban. He is NOT as popular. He is NOT as well thought of. He does NOT have the size following. He does NOT get the radio play.

Simple as that.

I just don't think we all necessarily want to admit that that's true.

cha cha - I asked her. Unfortunately, she bought it at the grocery store along with her groceries and threw out the receipt. I just cannot believe they expect you to have the original receipt on a GIFT card!

Oh well, I'll just keep trying different combinations until one works. There's no expiration on them, after all. I have years to get it right!

Oops, Changed my mind about posting whiney selfcentered post.

Clay is not as well accepted as Josh. I was talking to my friend about liking Josh.Turns out she is fine without seeing him and she isn't quite as much a fan as she thinks she should be a fan. Must be that operetic voice. It was weird conversation. She just thinks I am so weird going to multiple concerts and such. She does likethe chirstmas album though.

Because like it or not, Clay is NOT as big as Josh Groban. He is NOT as popular. He is NOT as well thought of. He does NOT have the size following. He does NOT get the radio play.

Simple as that.

Maybe, CG...but I'm pretty sure that the PBS thing was happening before Josh had so many "original" songs to his credit. It's just interesting to me. I suffer no delusion that Clay's the most popular and in demand singer in the current universe, but I DO believe he could make a decent showing of a live concert dvd. Well...whatever....

I guess I need to figure out how to make a concert dvd from the tons of luscious clack available. I have no idea how to even get started! :fca:

Finally. All shopping done. Actually, mine has been done but the girls had this or that to take care of. Now we sit and relax....finally~ Hubby cleaned the house while the girls and I were at a movie yesterday! :F_05BL17blowkiss: And today I took our doggie to the do-it-yourself dog washing place and so he smells nice for Christmas... :cryingwlaughter:

Josh Gorban's music is very distinctive...this pop opera fits very well into the PBS demographic and his audience is highly sought after by advertisers.

I think Clay needs another sure hit ...right now Clay is considered to have a cult following but I don't think they figure he has enough sure sales for an investment in a live DVD. It takes a lot of money to film this properly...and to distribute it.

ITA with cindilu...it will come.

muski, I know what you're saying about Josh Groban, I had a similar thing happen to me. Was at my sister in laws and everyone was watching something on tv in the living room that I wasn't interested in, so I went into the bedroom and channel surfed until I came upon a JG pbs special. It had all the bells and whistles a good PBS special should have, a wonderful orchestra, a guest violinist who was supposed to be well regarded. A female guest that he dueted with. After 3 songs I turned it off and took a nap.

I believe that Josh has a beautiful voice, almost too beautiful. Technically, who could fault him, but he doesn't make me "feel" his songs. That said, he evidently has struck a chord with a pretty large audience. Josh has his niche, and he's accepted in it, he has Oprah groveling over him. Michael Buble has his niche and he's accepted in it. Then there's Clay, I don't think they have found his niche, I'm not sure even he wants to be pinned down to just one style. It seems to be a dilema.

Today I was listening to a Platters cd that I bought for my husband, we were talking about how beautiful the lead singer's voice was. He made me feel the lyrics to their songs. It made me think of Clay, a great interpreter of song. There was a time when that was enough. So, I just look forward and enjoy our treasure trove of riches that the world at large has yet to discover.

Simple as that.

Maybe, CG...but I'm pretty sure that the PBS thing was happening before Josh had so many "original" songs to his credit. It's just interesting to me. I suffer no delusion that Clay's the most popular and in demand singer in the current universe, but I DO believe he could make a decent showing of a live concert dvd. Well...whatever....

I never thought you were delusional, muski. But I KNOW there are some in this fandom who are.

I would LOVE to see a concert DVD for Clay, but I just don't think he's at that stage in his career - YET. Maybe one day.

For whatever reason, ever since his appearance on "Ally McBeal", Josh Groban has been a darling of the media. Oprah LOVES him. Critics seem to love him. I can't say I understand the love, but then again, many don't understand my Clay love. I agree that his type of music is perfect for the PBS audience.

Not sure if Clay will ever make it to a PBS special - except maybe at Christmas time. But mainly I just think Josh Groban and Clay are at different stages of their careers.

Sorry for my whining post before. I am just so ticked at iTunes! I know I am not the only one just trying to make it through this holiday season. I know as bad as things may be in my life right now, there are more whose lives are even worse.

I was just feeling sorry for myself.

So I am sorry for my self-indulgent bitching.

Did couchie and the eHP make it home? We haven't heard a word from any of them and I hear there were many flight delays in Chicago today.