#26: "Irreverent, surprisingly fearless, a total delight and a surprise!"

Ansamcw

Thread title poll  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• I'm considering running for President!
    • Ya' gotta give me somethin', honey!
    • The man's a joy magnet!

With regards to experts... I do acknowledge that there are people with more info about this industry. I am glad when they share that...but then I still make my own opinion based on the info we have. NO ONE...can be an expert on Clay's business because we do not know what he actually wants and what they are actually dealing with.

Speaking of this, I read some where a few days ago (don't ask me where, I have no idea) Tha Clay had left RCAand was going to record with David Foster on his label. ?@#?$?@

The thing is that many people are brutal to the FC people, yet they are spewing the same old same old info without remembering where it started? I wish the fandom would rid itself of the mythology that was created by the lies rather than roast the people. I can't really comment on what happened with FC since I was totally out of the loop, I can just comment on my personal experience with them and knowing something was not right and that one person seemed in a constant state of hysteria which really worried me. I still think taht the people who helped spread the stories should acknowledge the stories and their role in the distirbution of it as information. But that is my own sticking point. other than that, i have moved on and have gained an understanding of the falibility of our little society and how to just get out.

Useless rambling of general things - yes, your discussion triggered another synapse download of stuff that passed through my mind the last few weeks. .

My other great sticking point is that I don't like to see fan after fan roasted for behavior that is judged wanting. I am really trying to not be so judgemental myself and just simply disagree with people, but not being perfect, I do slip often enough. It is just seeing the great exodus of fans in 2006 when you had to angst or you were judged not a fan, I would hate to see it repeated again, especially if they are just having some fun at the play. Clay can use as many fans as he can get, it would be nice if all fans used common sense, but whatcha gonna do?

Why do some fans have more influence that others? Well, we always defer to our friends to a degree, that is human. Then there is the fact that some fans were not message board people before AI and I think they believe if people are managing a board - which is a thankless and tiresome task many times - they must be wiser and hence have that position. Other fans get very impressed by the knowledge some have accummulated without realizing that opinions are still just that, worth no more or less and based on taste, which is very personal. I really take no offense if someone disagrees with me, just as long as they do not mock me for having it or condesend to me. Board culture also varies from place to place, some places the owners or moderators are almost worshipped, some have individual posters that respected for their opinion. Sometimes the opinon has a reason for being, other times it is just an opinion without any real basis or is based on personal taste. We are grown ups and havetodecide for ourselves, some posters are not so confident of their opinion, I don't mind that until they insist I have to always agree.

A while back I was discussing LTS with some people and I posted something and got a PM right away asking what e-mail group I belionged to - ?? I wrote back and asked what the heck she was talking about, she said that she belonged to one where they would get an e-mail if someone posted an opposing view and they would all be expectexd to respond how that person was wrong - I told her that my opinion was my opinion and that is all there was to that. She did not reply, but it opened my eyes to the backwater channels that fueled pile ups. WHo knew? it is just interesting that the person who accused me of doing something she was doing. hence my open eyed realization that some pile ons do not happen by accident.

ETA - I didntot mean I was reading "hater" blogs, just some people who intensely dislike Clay for what ever reason and still liked his perforamnce, but do not spend their lives educating people to why they don't like him.

Just to clarifiy a few things... heh.

The way we do things already is just fine. I think had the entire post been brought over it could have been discussed.

Second - we don't care what members here post on other boards. I don't like to mod this board. I'm definitely not going to follow you somewhere else and tell you how you should or shouldn't post. I think the "review" was worthy of discussion. That, or anyone's opinion of the review, wasn't my concern at all.

I didn't see JJ's post before she deleted it but JJ, I was not calling you a troublemaker and your participation is welcome here.

back to work.

no new eyeliner pictures?

Just to clarifiy a few things... heh.

The way we do things already is just fine. I think had the entire post been brought over it could have been discussed.

Second - we don't care what members here post on other boards. I don't like to mod this board. I'm definitely not going to follow you somewhere else and tell you how you should or shouldn't post. I think the "review" was worthy of discussion. That, or anyone's opinion of the review, wasn't my concern at all.

I didn't see JJ's post before she deleted it but JJ, I was not calling you a troublemaker and your participation is welcome here.

back to work.

no new eyeliner pictures?

Couchie,

I agree with what someone said up thread about you being "wise." You are also quite witty. I loved your comment on the discussion about Clay spending a lot of money on having Jerome with him through his Spamalot gig, where you said that the way that Clay recycles his clothes, he needs to spend his money on something. :cryingwlaughter:

I didn't find the review "all bad", either. It just felt as if Clay and the show were being measured by an inaccurate standard. Expecting deeper meaning or nuance in "Spamalot" seems a little like analyzing character motivation and story arc in "The Three Stooges". Sometimes a joke is just a joke and Judy whacks Punch over the head because it's in the script. And it's funny.

The YouTube "Spamalot" follows the Monty Python movie very closely, word for word, in many scenes. The movie was very silly and never pretended to be anything else. For what it seeks to accomplish, the show seems brilliant. I can't wait to see it for myself.

A while back I was discussing LTS with some people and I posted something and got a PM right away asking what e-mail group I belionged to - ?? I wrote back and asked what the heck she was talking about, she said that she belonged to one where they would get an e-mail if someone posted an opposing view and they would all be expectexd to respond how that person was wrong - I told her that my opinion was my opinion and that is all there was to that. She did not reply, but it opened my eyes to the backwater channels that fueled pile ups. WHo knew? it is just interesting that the person who accused me of doing something she was doing. hence my open eyed realization that some pile ons do not happen by accident.
The things I continue to learn about this fandom boggle the mind. I had not heard this before. I didn't know about all the back channel PMs at the time of ATDW either. The unrest was obvious and people were really touchy about conspiracy theories and all that but I did not have a clue.

Interesting conversations today; sometimes having to work really bites when I miss so much.

Wasn't going to bring this up, but since it sort goes along with the discussion about posts from other boards, I was actually called on something I said here...have to say that it made me very uncomfortable...sort of like big brother was watching me and has now made me very wary of saying anything about anyone that is not a member here or talking about other boards. This person felt I was talking behind her back and maybe I shouldn't have said anything at the time, but it was in a moment of frustration and I needed to vent. I hate censorship, and I hate that I now feel like I have to censor myself, but in the interest of inter-board harmony, I feel it is something I need to do.

Kim

Here is canuck's recap from CV. She was so excited. I love it.

----------------------------------------

Everyone!!!

I'm home. I'm sated. I love him more today than I did yesterday.

I suck at recaps and I'll "word" sadie, whose recap I read in the focus thread about everything.

Life just doesn't get much better than seeing Clay Aiken, Superstar, and spending a weekend in the most exciting city in the world with bestest friends.

Well, there just are no words that truly convey how amazing this part is for Clay. I sat in the audience on Friday night with my NJU friends, soaking in this amazing performance and listening to my friends laughing their asses off.

We loved him, we loved the show, we loved Tom, Lance, Galahad, Patsy, Lady, just everyone! We laughed untill our sides hurt and I was bursting my buttons with pride.

Sunday I had my first ever front row seat. A-1 left. Oh.My.God!!!! I was almost on the stage and felt like I could reach out and touch him! lol!!! I managed to control the urge though it was very tough. He looked fabulous, performed flawlessly, stole hearts, looked just like he had found "His Grail", made me swoon, laugh, grin, cheer, and have the best of times.

I had so much fun with my friends attending the show and running around New York! Gah! I love that town with the heat of a thousand suns. And rain, which we had plenty of on Friday! It couldn't dampen our thrill with being there though and the shopping was fantastic!

Then the sun came out on Sat. and Sun. and we walked till we couldn't walk anymore. fun fun fun!!

I split my time with the lovelies, toni, invisble, cablegirl, sadie and Scarlett and my travelling buddies and my head was spinning from all adrenalin that was flowing from fun overload!

The Stage Door experiences of Friday and Sunday were fabulous! I managed to snag a Billboard autograph on Friday and a Spam poster one on Sunday. I was thrilled, but more than that, was just the wonderful experience of watching him emerge from the theatre and chat away while he signed as many as he possible could and looking "oh so adorable".

I just arrived home so my thoughts are jumbled and I'm sure I will be adding details in the days ahead but suffice to say, it was one of the most wonderful and amazing weekends I've spent on my fandom and something I am so grateful to have been able to experience.

My most profound feeling from the weekend was one of pride. Clay just oozes "Star"!!!!!

Best career decision EVER!!!!

Oh man.................... we are a lucky bunch.

Feh! I stomp in my power suit with my spiked heel upon the tie-dyed wearing inter-board harmony! (That was a convoluted 80's vs. 60's joke).

Now, I am probably the most PC person in the universe (I can say that, because anyone who could argue with me doesn't appear to be on the board right now! heh.)

If you meant what you said, why apologize? Unless it's one of those, "I'm sorry you're upset" apologies. People shouldn't do stuff to annoy us.

Vent, my children! Vent!

Now, we just wanna see what you're venting at. Then we'll tell you if we agree or not. It can go either way. Then we'll all hug and kiss, 'cause that's what we do.

you see a beautifully complex man who is both talented and caring. And, very frequently gorgeous
! I do too, liney...along with number of other adjectives that span the G-NC17 rating system! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Greetings from Houston! I'm sitting in a bar (SURPRISE!) having a $2.50 pint or two while I wait for KarenEh to come get me for the little eHP gettogether. This place has free internet--hee--my kinda place.

Interesting discussions, peeps! Now I have to tell you my latest and greatest "Clay It Forward" tale. As many of you know, in my job I travel hither and thither and have been known to spread the word about a certain hawt singerman as I do. When I see Clay at the stage door I swear I'm going to ask him for a percentage of his net profits because I'm sure I'm responsible for increasing his fan base! :cryingwlaughter:

Anyhoo...I was at my conference earlier today and after discussing some event management software with one company, I noticed a screen being projected by another on my way out. It asked this question, "Who is your favorite American Idol?" And it listed all the seasons' winners.

I said without hesitation, "Hey! Where's Clay Aiken's name?" A few of the company reps turned to see who the crazy woman was, smiled and went back to their pitches to the attendees with them. One guy though, came over and said, "But he didn't win, did he?"

Let the Games Begin!

For the next 30 mins! this guy, Joe, and I talked about one Mr. Clay Aiken. What a freakin' riot! I think the hook was early on when I mentioned that Clay was in Spamalot. This guy said, "Oh, man...Spamalot rocks!" So we started talking about MOnty Python humor. He asked what role Clay was playing and then off we went!

By the end of our conversation, he knew about how Clay ended up on AI, how he's toured extensively and successfully since then, how his music has gone multi-platinum, how he's a UNICEF ambassador and has started and helped grow a wonderful charitable foundation, how he's grown up and away from the image that many might still have of him if all they remember is American Idol, Season 2, etc.

He's from Washington, DC, and when I told him about how positive all the recaps have been of the show and how even the non-Clay 'fans' have good things to say about his treatment of Sir Robin, he was really eager to find a time to slip up to NYC to catch a show!

I'm quite good at this PR stuff, you know. I think I'm an expert now. :whistling-1:

I'm quite good at this PR stuff, you know. I think I'm an expert now. :whistling-1:

Perhaps you need to slip Clay your resume and a detailed marketing plan for his next CD when you see him at the stage door.

Honey, there ARE some things I want to slip Clay :hubbahubba: , but my freakin' resume and a marketing plan ain't on that list.... :cryingwlaughter:

I sit now in the lobby of my hotel with bags packed, waiting to hear from KarenEh that she's near. I've talked today with two of my hotel reps--one from San Francisco and one from Charlotte, women I'm working with on the various meetings I'm bringing to their hotels---and they BOTH are 'jealous' of my passion and excitement about Clay and the friendship network and traveling to concerts and Broadway and sleeping 4-5 to a room and all the "12 year old" stuff!

Actually, Couchie, my San Francisco hotel buddy told me that she REALLY wants to go with me to the next Bay Area Clay concert and would even buy our tix! I told her I had a local friend who I'd be concerting with, but she's REALLY anxious to see and hear him! I showed her some of Clay's most recent videos and she thinks he's majorally (word?) HAWT!

As in..."OMG, he's so HOT!" hawt. :cryingwlaughter: THat was her reaction while she watched him in action via video. I LOVE to watch that happen. The whole "He'll get you if you give him half a chance" thing.....

Dang...those two beers were quite...potent. :704:

I agree with KAndre. I'm not going to apologize for anything I've said because I've meant every single word. I like the freedom of saying what I want. I know that there are people out there that go back and report directly to mods of other board moderators (like I give a damn or they are my mama or something) what is being said, usually misrepresented in some way. But I'm always willing to defend my position with anyone and I always challenge people to read a thread or two and not to judge anything by one post, or a bad day or the thing you hate. THis is a great community. But I do like to remind people now and then that FCA is open, there are no cubby holes and if that matters to you keep it in mind. This fandom has always been a ripe subject of interest for me and so I have no problem discussing it. Hell I see myself sometimes in the good and bad behaviour so it's not just some sort of condemnation nor do I go the good fan/bad fan route. We try to be somewhat civilized and hey I did veto a certain someone's thread suggestion (Clay Aiken is not your friend you stupid bitch). I should get points for that. Anyway I know I've heard often enough if you don't like the rules start your own board. HA!

The YouTube "Spamalot" follows the Monty Python movie very closely, word for word, in many scenes. The movie was very silly and never pretended to be anything else. For what it seeks to accomplish, the show seems brilliant. I can't wait to see it for myself.

We sat and watched the movie again this past weekend (probably the hundredth time for me, but the first time for my mom and my daughter). My mom and I laughed till we were blue in the face. My daughter didn't really "get it". She said "but it's just stupid". I told her that's all it's supposed to be. I think some people don't "get" Monty Python because they are looking for more than that. *shrugs*

I don't think anyone here needs to apologize for anything. There's nothing wrong with having an opinion, and there's nothing wrong with venting and moving on. I'll defend anything I say here on any board....but why should I have to? Blows my mind that people come here to "spy" and then take comments elsewhere. What for? Just join in! Hee.

Feh! I stomp in my power suit with my spiked heel upon the tie-dyed wearing inter-board harmony! (That was a convoluted 80's vs. 60's joke).

I guess a round of "Kum Ba Ya" is right out, then. Darn it, I had my guitar tuned and everything.

IMO, there's a couple of key things here in this discussion. One, as I'm always saying to both couchie and Ansa, is that I prefer discussions on the fandom to be about the actions of a poster. Sure, this can be hard to discern sometimes and not make it "personal," but I think the distinction is there if you look for it. The other thing is that I too hate censorship, and self-censorship. (I mean, really...I'm a librarian. *g*) BUT -- if I post something on a public message board, I also realize that there can be ramifications toward what I say. It could be taken wrong by someone on this board; it could be taken to another board entirely. It's the acceptance of those ramifications that cause me to think before I post. If I decide that I can say something, but it could possibly be inflammatory elsewhere -- I have to weigh those issues on my own, and make a decision. Frequently, I decide it's not worth the effort to fight it later. (I hate confrontation...) I just pick my battles. In all honesty, what I DO end up saying on this board is something that I believe in.

Monty Python humor? I'm sure there's a doctoral thesis out there on it. *g* And you know what? That's fine.

In all honesty, what I DO end up saying on this board is something that I believe in.

As do I. So, how do we differ?

I don't play games anywhere I post. I post how I feel...that doesn't set well anywhere most of the time. So, I opt out of many boards and many discussions. It's not worth it to me to get green inked or have explanation after explanation after explanation as to why someone's opinion matters more than mine.

I wouldn't mind it so much if it was the original poster justifying their position...when it's others trying to justify it for them...well, that just tweaks my last nerve.

I've determined that message boards and I are just not compatible...I am too literal, I guess.

BUT -- if I post something on a public message board, I also realize that there can be ramifications toward what I say. It could be taken wrong by someone on this board; it could be taken to another board entirely. It's the acceptance of those ramifications that cause me to think before I post. If I decide that I can say something, but it could possibly be inflammatory elsewhere -- I have to weigh those issues on my own, and make a decision. Frequently, I decide it's not worth the effort to fight it later.

So true. It's the way I feel, as well.

No matter where one posts, words can have consequences. Doesn't mean we should not speak. Just means we have to accept the possible ramifications. Some don't mind pissing people off. Others like to steer clear of confrontation. As long as we all understand the situation, I think it's fine.

I guess a round of "Kum Ba Ya" is right out, then. Darn it, I had my guitar tuned and everything.

Monty Python humor? I'm sure there's a doctoral thesis out there on it. *g* And you know what? That's fine.

Bwah! I would love to hear you sing kum ba ya.

I was one that was worried that I wouldn't get it or like Spamalot. It's just not my thing. I don't like silly. I stop worrying about it becasue I do like Clay Aiken and he can pretty much make me like anything or give it a chance except Mandy. He has an amazing affect on me that way.

I actually love strong opinions. I love that so many here have them...and so many with their own little style of expressing them.

Well I got good news today..my little part time sit on my ass at home job will continuing. I figured I'd probably have 3 or 4 weeks to finish out this assignment but they have new topics to do. Yay me. Yay Spamalot.