#26: "Irreverent, surprisingly fearless, a total delight and a surprise!"

Ansamcw

Thread title poll  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• I'm considering running for President!
    • Ya' gotta give me somethin', honey!
    • The man's a joy magnet!

blows kisses at merrieeee...

Yep, he was 99% in sync on opening night too, though - he's good. For me, workman-like is good. I have seen things where people are out of sync, and I declare them bad. Loudly. Being in sync for me is the bare minimum. (You should see me at JROTC drill meets - and yes, I was on the JROTC drill team - and a bigger bitch you've never come across - but there are state trophies at my high school that we won. I love the Marine Corp Drill Team.)

I so wish I had been able to do Clack last Sunday. Aaaaaargh! It really was a long, long, looooong way from the first 2 nights of Spamalot. Not.the.same.thing. Opening night, yes he was counting-in-his-head.

And the ironic thing about this was... the guy sitting next to me on Sunday night attempted (ha!) to get some Clack! *chortles* You all know I have a very strong opinion about Spamalot Clack given all the multiple, firm, commanding requests from the cute guy but I didn't go call security like that killjoy Dad did at Waukegan last December (yes, I'm bitter, but not that bitter). But I sort of stared over his shoulder in fascination. Of course he got shut down big time -- not posting the details, because I don't want to give security advice -- but I just wanted to emphasize that people are dead serious about this. And the silly thing was it really wasn't very good clack -- our AI2 concert tour Clack was way better. Grrrr! I can't wait for the next tour to be able to say I-told-you-so.

*wails at not being able to record the dismount from the imaginary horse before the taunter scene* (Those with seats on the left side, ie. stage right, might want to watch for this)

BTW, all this talk about Terrence Mann reminds me that I used to know people who went to see him as Javert over 50 times. Makes me feel undedicated. Hmmmm, you all make me want to take another look just to make sure I'm remembering it right.

I definitely agree that like singing, dancing ability is "something you are and not something you become." When one goes dancing a lot, it is easy to identify the "natural" dancers from the dancers who have taken a lot of dance lessons. The "learned" dancers, even though quite good, do not have the flow and smoothness of the ones that just have natural dancing ability. I have heard it called "dancing from the heart." Having said that, I am really looking forward to seeing Clay dance. I do not expect him to dance like MJ, but I am happy that Scarlett says his dancing has really improved. I wish that I had seen him when he was still counting so that I could really see how far he has come. It is good that he can keep up with the rest of the cast since they are used to all that dancing, and Clay is not.

I so wish I had been able to do Clack last Sunday. Aaaaaargh! It really was a long, long, looooong way from the first 2 nights of Spamalot. Not.the.same.thing. Opening night, yes he was counting-in-his-head.

And the ironic thing about this was... the guy sitting next to me on Sunday night attempted (ha!) to get some Clack! *chortles* You all know I have a very strong opinion about Spamalot Clack given all the multiple, firm, commanding requests from the cute guy but I didn't go call security like that killjoy Dad did at Waukegan last December (yes, I'm bitter, but not that bitter). But I sort of stared over his shoulder in fascination. Of course he got shut down big time -- not posting the details, because I don't want to give security advice -- but I just wanted to emphasize that people are dead serious about this. And the silly thing was it really wasn't very good clack -- our AI2 concert tour Clack was way better. Grrrr! I can't wait for the next tour to be able to say I-told-you-so.

hee its difficult not having visual aids huh.. it must be frustrating wanting to share what you saw but can't...thanks for helping us experience vicariously through your description.

waves madly at Desertrose

Maybe that's it - because I lived in the dance clubs back in the day (yeah, yeah - I know - y'all are just shocked!)

Don't worry Scarlett - I'll let you say I told you so right before I take away your room keys! Ha!

Look, the boy sang songs for us to win our next street battle in the Miata - he can't do everything!

One of the things I loved about "So You Think You Can Dance" it is forced the dancers to try all kinds of styles - and they could do it - because they were natural dancers - and you could see their innate ability - and you could also see the difference training and technique made.

You know what's funny? When Scarlett was telling us about the inept Clack gatherer - she really did chortle!

So are we just sticking to the re-caps from the first weekend? How many tours did we have where the first night was the same as the last night?

Oh, and my roomkey-holding policy has evolved as well. Sunday afternoon, I had keys to 2 different rooms on 2 different floors and people gave them to me willingly.

I would have to say that Clay is not a dancer in the sense of MJ who was amazingly gifted. I used to dance and although I could do it and it became effortless with hard work and practice, I was never a naturally gifted dancer. From all I have read, Clay is doing a great job fitting in and he can handle the dancing but I doubt he will ever be known for his dancing skills. I always thought he was a capable dancer despite his protests so now, after all this hard work, maybe he will accept that he can dance.

As for Clay and ADD/ADHD, I really don't believe he has either diagnosis. I have worked with kids with both ADD and ADHD and Clay does not fit the criteria across the board. I worked closely with the diagnosing psychiatrist in the agency where we were both employed and he was always very careful about making that diagnosis and putting kids on meds. I think Clay is/was easily bored because he is very intelligent and I also think his firey nature made him a smart ass at times and got him into trouble. I imagine he was quite a challenge as a child. Makes me smile.

No - as I said, I totally believe you when you say he is so much better now. I could see improvement just from one night to the next. I just say the boy is not a natural dancer, by what I define as a natural dancer. He was good then, he was better by the next night, I believe you when you say he's incredible now. I fully expect to be blown away by April. But then again, what he accomplished on opening night wasn't like a huge shock either. He did more than I expected, but not more than I thought him capable of.

Still don't make him a natural dancer. He is a natural singer. I will put him up against any singer in the world and fully expect him to hold his own. I don't expect that of him as a dancer, and wouldn't. Would be thrilled to be surprised.

My judgement of Clay's dancing did not start opening night at the Schubert.

I guess for me, it's like people think great dancing is not really a talent on a par with singing, that with enough practice, anyone can do it. For me, it's like the difference between the first chair violinist in Red Bank and Midori. All the practice in the world isn't gonna make that person in Red Bank Midori. There is an innate talent there. And there are some who honest to god have no talent at all, but become competent.

Is anyone watching Dance Wars? This is a reality/competiton show on ABC. I think I've been really surprised at the level of the performers chosen by Bruno and Carrie Ann. In this competition, the performers are supposed to sing and dance. Well, some of them can sing and some of them can dance hardly any of them seem to be able to do both really well (at least at the same time)

As I watch the show, I find myself thinking out of all of the thousands of contestants that tried out, these are the best they could come up with? The vocals on both teams seem to be especially weak, and the singers that didn't have a lot of dance experience are having lots of trouble getting the dance moves down. It kind of gives you the idea that singing and dancing at the same time, especially for someone not used to doing it can be pretty hard.

So, I guess if Clay is holding his own with seasoned Broadway veterans when he has had pretty minimal dance training, I'm happy.

I watched the last Dance War show and I thought they were pathetic. Sorry, but some of those people seriously COULD NOT sing. Dancing, I don't know. If they're moving their feet, they're better than I am.

Skybar...ding ding ding. I wanted to come online all day to say my 7 year old nephew reminds me of Clay LOL. He is extremely bright and easily bored and lord..thank god for the Montisori school..cuz I don't trust public school to deal with him and keep him constantly growing and learning. He always needs to be doing something.

KAndre... I agree with you about Clay and the dancing. But I am so amazed and excited that he took this on and apparantly is succeeding quite well.

Atinal...My mom watches that show of which you speak and good lord last night I was in the living room working on my laptop while the show was on and that little 2some singoff to see who would be eliminated was the most pathetic thing I've ever heard. Say what you want about Idol but they find actual talent.

The banner is stunning!!

Back to work!!

Oh also wanted to say -- yep Jenna I also love humble Clay. Lord I know people who will tell you how much their phone costs or they just bought a new designer that or i make that amount of money or I'm so special before you've talked to them for 2 minutes. I have no time for those kind of people.

I don't think Clay is a naturally gifted dancer, but I do believe he can dance. He'll never be Gregory Hines, but I think he can learn to move comfortably and confidently. And I believe that training will serve him well in the future.

I'm just impressed that he embraced this role, knowing full well that it would involve a considerable amount of dance, something he's always claimed to be a weakness of his. It was a brave thing to take on, and it's great that he's doing as well as he has been.

Besides, it's not as if people come to Spamalot for the dancing.

My youngest has ADHD. He could not concentrate enough to take final exams, I had to sit in a private room with him at school so that he could focus enough to complete the tests. It took him 17 years to finish college. He went to five different colleges. He is now in graduate school and is doing fine, so he says. It is a disability which can often not be seen or even detected but can cause quite a bit of disruption in the lives of all the family members. Even now I can almost cry when I see him and his hands are shaking as he discusses yet another job interview that fell through. Sorry. Maybe TMI.

My youngest grandson (9yrs old) has ADHD and i have seen his hands shake when he is over stimulated or in a new situation. It makes me sad. There are things he wants to be involved in, but he knows it will be hard for him, so he just avoids it.

I am kind of curious about the disagreement about Clay's dancing - he is not supposed to be a dancer, just dance servicably on the stage. The unnammed knights are the professional dancers, Heck DH pierce was more hadicapped, he was not a dancer nor a great singer. Ithink comedic timing is the part the role demands most. I thinkthe worst dancer is the flatulant knight.

But besides, the most recent show had Clay gliding across the floor and light on his feet, so I thinkhe is getting better and better. And let me add taht Timberlake is no MJ either - few people are. There are multiple levels ofcapability in all crafts.