#29: EEEEEEEEEEEE!!! It's really happening!

Couch Tomato

What should be the next thread title at FCA?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• Ah, nothing left but the finale - and Clay's incredible career.
    • I am so obsessed. He's altered my DNA. I'm sure of it.
    • Hold on...you're going on a great and long ride!
    • I'd go with Godzilla if it meant I could see Clay even one more time in Spamalot.
    • Yes I'm babbling. What can I say? He makes me happy.
    • Clay has the vitality of the Energizer bunny...
    • Just the Clay parts first. His parts are FINE as WINE and all move..... varra varra nicely!
    • He loves us as we love him--unconditionally.
    • Today's Clay is hawt, polished, multi-faceted...
    • Faith has conquered fear...on my way here!
    • The man is a magnet. A super magnet.
    • Clay will always be Clayton, too.
    • I want it all and I want it now!
    • He is going to kill us all.
    • Can I move to ClayAikenville?
    • Whenever, wherever, I'll be there.

Whoever said this lyrics thing is one reason he has a hard time finding "rockin'" songs he likes may be right. Most songs like that don't have meaningful lyrics

I BEG your pardon? I take exception to that...after all, last summer everyone KNOWS that he sang "I Like Big Butts" in tribute to MOI! :lilredani::whistling-1:

Whatever, you know? I think Clay really, really knows his fandom. He keeps saying what's HIS truth about who he is and what he loves to sing and how he wants to lead his life---over and over---yet he knows that there are some who will continue to live in that very densely populated state of DENIAL and who will keep waiting for him to show his TRUE badass, rocker self... and then tell us how many times a year month week day he has sex, by the way, too! oy.

I betcha he's really looking forward to getting home and just plopping down on his LoveSac (ouch!), eating lots of mac n cheese and some home cooking, hanging out with his friends and family and sleeping whenever the hell he wants to! I like those visuals, actually. He's certainly deserved all of that and more, in my book.

Not to throw a wrench into the works, but does anyone still think he'll make an AI appearance this year?

? ETA: Yeah, pkmiller....this! O

kay, I'm confused...MOAN and ATDW were released in Singapore weren't they
:huh:

ETA again because I'm a little shit and can't help myself.... \

well...I don't know about in Singapore but I can tell you for SURE that some MOANs were released here in California because of Clay... :hubbahubba:

(Now where the hell is that cute little 'rimshot' emoticon?)

American Idol? I honestly have no idea; but I am sort a leaning towards no...and even though they have a huge audience and would be great publicity for him...I am kind of hoping that ship has sailed....that said, if he does make an appearance, I will be watching.

Kim

:fca: Its getting very angsty out there. The speculation and extrapolating is running rampant.

It is! I ventured out to lurk at a few boards.... :wacko:

I just can't find it in myself to get so worked up over this one little interview. I'm still enjoying everyone's Spam recaps, I'm getting ready to Spam myself, I'm looking forward to the new album, of which I'm pretty sure I'll like 99.9% and I'm not yet dead, so all's right in my little corner of the world!

Besides, I think I look cuter like this :flirtysmile3: than this :smokelots:

:cryingwlaughter:

From the CH

QUOTE("ellenpoppy")

CLACK ALERT

A friend at Fox has given me the go-ahead to bring this info to the boards:

Clay's Spamalot interview will be on American Idol Extra (Fox Reality Channel) this week, on Thursday!

It had originally been scheduled for a later date. Please check your local listings!

Wow! No one read's couchie's posts???? Is that allowed????

(She posted this a little earlier....)

Um.....she did? She posted about the change in broadcast time from the end of AI Rewind to this week? That was just posted at the CH a half hour ago? Why can't I find her post?

ETA: Found it!! At 2 something this afternoon. Sorry, CG: Couchie's post. Ellenpoppy made it sound like she was revealing SuperSekrit information for the very first time. That Couch Tomato is connected!!

ATDW and MOAM were released in Singapore. ATDW was released in Japan, because I have a Japanese ATDW courtesy of a Japanese fan. Don't know about any other countries for ADTW.

American Idol?? YES, YES, YES. The exposure is HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have seen the Japanese MOAM as well.

I know that kelly got some overseas promotion right away, but didn't go that big there, With Clay and Ruben, I think they were thinking flash in the pan. Take the money and run. The Christmas album was meant as another take the money and run quick little ditty, that Clay turned into a tour money maker. Ruben was supposed to make a Christmas album as well (still attached at the hip) but convinced the label to let him go gospel instead (from a Ruben interview). Clay was still known, but still a target, but even a bigger target for asshats.

ATDW - I really believe promotion was kept low because of idiots. It seemed that a lot of interviewers had the same question for Clay and you can't say the label acted in a vacuum with out knowing what would happen. Clay handled it with grace and survived it, the only question is what the demand is and the CD hasto show what it is. if there is demand, promotion will increase. I think what convinced me of this was finding that old SImon interview in Playboy where he said taht Clay's career was washed up because once the tabloids get a hold of you, you are done for. Simon works for the label and may very well have been voicing what they were thinking. Business is business, I don't know how many times I said that in the last two years. Comapnies do not make big investments in losing projects no matter how mauh a few may want them to do it - a perfect example is Orphan drugs - where there are drugs which can cure or at least reducethe effect of serious illnesses, but there are not enough people sick with these diseases to make it profitable to produce the drug and drug compnaies are very profit driven.

I think Clay has to prove himself again in the business and he has to use all available avenues to do it, like going on AI, despite how some fans feel about it. he has to prove himself before getting large overseas promotion and he has to prove himself before radio will accept him again. As long as he sells at least gold with a nice promotion, the label will want to keep him. People see Clay as superstar Clay because of the first year, forget how much water there is under the bridge and many don't even acknowledge how the overreaction of some fans has caused some of this difficulty, keeping alive tabloid crap until it became national news, instead of letting it fade away is just one way. Granted there are a few dedicated crazies that like to pretend they are fans tomake fans look bad, but still, if Conan didn't feel it was worth it, he would have stopped Clay jokes a long time ago - Oh wait, he did stop them when people stopped reacting. And it does not help when some people believethey have to attack every other idol out there. Just move on oh great protector fans!

Still, I am getting a new album and as long as I still get my music, I will be happy.

I think its likely there will be some who will like everything on the album - or at least not admit it if they don't. There are some fans out there who think everything Clay does is perfect no matter what. But I think for most of us, chances are if we are honest, there is probably a song or two on each of his albums we haven't particularly liked.

Well, that may be true for most, but there just is not a song on any of his albums that I dont like. There just isnt. Sometimes I feel like people want me to make one up or something, because otherwise I cant be taken seriously. Whatever. That doesnt mean I think that everything he does is perfect.....of course not.....and frankly, I resent the implication. But I cant even imagine not liking something on the new album, because for me, its all about the VOX. So as long as he is singing, I know I will be liking. Heh, sorry Clay. :)

*apologies to all, but my apostrophe key wont work tonight*

I think Clay really, really knows his fandom. He keeps saying what's HIS truth about who he is and what he loves to sing and how he wants to lead his life---over and over---yet he knows that there are some who will continue to live in that very densely populated state of DENIAL and who will keep waiting for him to show his TRUE badass, rocker self... and then tell us how many times a year month week day he has sex, by the way, too! oy.

Hee, thanks for the laugh! Its soooooooooooo true. Im not bothering to go too far outside these walls, I dont need the angst. :P

I've just got home, read the article and then come here, so I haven't been out and about to see what is out there...but my thoughts: (like anyone cares! :cryingwlaughter: )

First of all, what an interesting and articulate man he is! He comes off very intelligent. I read some of the comments on the blog site (my bad!) and I have NO idea where they are coming from calling it "tabloidy" and saying he sounds "unenthusiastic". Was there a portion of the blog deleted at some point that I didn't see? :shrug:

I think the writer, from what I can tell, did an excellent job of organizing and solidifying the questions into a few cohesive ones he could answer.

In honesty, I AM disappointed about no summer tour. I completely agree that he needs and deserves a rest, and for him I'm happy he's going to get it. For me~not so much. :lol:

Summer is my time of the year, the hotter the better as far as I'm concerned~and for me who lives where weather is an issue~no worries in the summer! In the Fall, a whole different ball of wax. Could I tell you once again about the trip between Williamsport and Erie last Christmas? :cry4:

I kind of suspect we'll be looking at a Christmas tour (which is fine, somehow I'll get there), and perhaps a Summer 2009 tour. Sure wish I could go back to NYC once more!

I agree with this:

I also think that at this point...they really don't know what direction to take for the next tour. I think this CD is some kind of litmus test for the possible direction of the expansion of Clay's fanbase. At this point I find it very interesting that he said that people may not like all of the CD. I think Clay is trying out new sounds and they are not sure how the fanbase will react to it. They also have to see what the general public's reaction will be. I think they need to see the markets' response to the CD before they plan the next tour. Then they can continue to promote it, pushing more than one single... if they want to get bigger venues for the tour.

I really think they are being very careful with the promo of this CD. They want a slow and steady build...I can see a spring 2009 tour too.

IMO his comment re "not liking everything" was, as someone has already suggested, meant to say that not everyone would like everything~not that there was one thing that everyone would hate. But I've been wrong before!

There are certainly songs of Clay's that I dont' like as well as others; but there is absolutely nothing I can say that I "hate".

It seems to be Clay's way to emphasize the possible negatives prior to something coming out; I suspect it's his way of coping with the dichotomies in this fandom that always erupt. I think this is just another example of that.

At the very least, I know that I will enjoy knowing that this CD is HIM, and that he is happy with it and proud of it.

International promotion? Maybe I'm confused, but doesn't the plethora of Amazon overseas sites we've already noted indicate that it IS being released overseas? Or is that US CDs just being sold to overseas clients? I have no idea!

Claygasm, I agree with your long and interesting post about the USA week-end interview. I read the article and then went to the boards and could not believe all this angst !!

playbiller, your assessment of the ATDW promotion is right on. I always thought that RCA knew that the crap is all people wanted to talk about. Therefore a low budget promotion. I also think and agree that the overreaction of some people vis a vis the tabloid crap is what kept it alive for so long ! I do think that the winds have changed and Spamalot has been just what the doctor ordered. I am anxious to see what kind of approach Clay and his team will take to promote the new material !!

All I know is that I can't wait to hear his voice sing new songs !

Meaningful lyrics - heeee.......no matter what he says, some fans will decide that he is sending sekrit anguished messages about his life, his mom, his record label, whatever.

So I don't think it matters what he says about the lyrics and what they mean to him - that will be decided by others, providing hours of entertainment. (For me).

I feel like that interview was completely controlled by Clay, sounds like he wanted to nip some rumors in the bud.

Sneaking in from work...yep these 16, err 17, oh no 18 hour days are a killer!!!

As for today's angst of choice my response is:

La la la I can't hear you!!!!

And my 10 cents worth please no countdown clock thingie! I can't d/l the thing (at work)and I end up getting an annoying pop up banner!

QUOTE(lindylo @ Apr 2 2008, 08:43 PM)

from Corabeth at CH

An update from RCA Marketing---posted with permission

The press release to announce the album release and the lead single will be out on Friday

Tthere are definitely more webisodes coming

While I am happy to see this, I wish fans would just let the info come out as planned instead of always pumping folks for info before they are ready to release it.

Kim

Well, the crazy fans are at it already attacking the USA story as negative in some comments. I wish I thought it ws not people who think they are fans. That woman is being insulted by some. Nice fans, so likely to have good will next time.

I firmly believe there are some fans who are not happy unless they are complaining about something and if there isn't anything legitimate to complain about, they are more than happy to make things up.

Yeah, I am in a pissy mood...probably doesn't help that it is that time of the month either...think I need to go find some chocolate...I think there is a half-eaten chocolate bunny from Easter around here somewhere.

Kim

I have just one thing to say in print....it's sure as hell lucky people can't HEAR what I'm saying here in my little office, in response to their posts! (elsewhere...) They'd probably be pretty offended! :cryingwlaughter:

Sure makes me feel better though.

Awe, come on...just whisper it...I won't tell anyone!

Kim

International promotion? Maybe I'm confused, but doesn't the plethora of Amazon overseas sites we've already noted indicate that it IS being released overseas? Or is that US CDs just being sold to overseas clients? I have no idea!

I think there's a big difference between an album being released on an overseas Amazon site, and actual promotion there. I'd expect to see ads, commercials, and appearances overseas if an album was being marketed internationally. It's not too difficult to release an album to Amazon internationally, so it looks like to me that the album will be released by Amazon internationally but not actually marketed internationally. RCA is likely very happy to have the overseas sales, but it doesn't look like they will be spending a lot of money on promotion to get those sales.

ETA: Kim, I agree with this 100%:

I firmly believe there are some fans who are not happy unless they are complaining about something and if there isn't anything legitimate to complain about, they are more than happy to make things up.

And I think that many of those people approach their entire lives the same way! And I'm taking the option not to go down that road with them. Thank God for FCA!

Me either Gibby; I am here to have fun and to enjoy Clay...I have enough stress in real life without having it invade my "hobby" too!

Clay is such a smart man and I have great faith in him that he knows what he is doing to have the kind of career that he wants.

Kim

Hi,

I've been lurking here since November, and really enjoy the positive attitude on this board. I made the mistake of reading some other boards before I came here tonight, and I just have to say you guys are a breath of fresh air. It's so refreshing not to have to plow through all the hand wringing and angst.

I didn't find the interview depressing at all, but I'm one who tends to see the glass as half full rather than half empty. What's going to happen with the CD is going to happen. I have no control over it, so I'm not going to waste my time worrying. I'm just excited about hearing that cute singerman sing new songs to me.

Back to lurking.

I'm trying to get into a Zen zone here (but before I do, I must rant)...but I have to say that I'm verra, verra NOT happy with fans interfering with the BUSINESS of Clay's career. Verra tired---and embarrassed. It's not up to any of us when or how or why any press release or promotional announcement or ANYTHING about Clay's next CD, tour, first leading man movie role or next hair color is made...God.

If RCA is not performing according to somebody's expectation, well...tough titties! It's out of line, IMO, to even be making suggestions to anybody at the freakin' label. Maybe if Clay's fans hadn't already established a reputation of being meddling and persistent to the point of OBNOXIOUS about anything having to do with the man, a rational question about promotion might not set me off so...but

That AIN'T the case here, folks! So I can't imagine that any "innocent" "well-intentioned" correspondence with "RCA" is seen as anything but "HUH?" Do other celebrities' fans offer their expertise to the suits in the office towers? I just don't get it.

You know...Clay is way too nice sometimes, IMO.

[/rant]

Ashleysgram So good to see you here! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Muski :preachit:

Kim

Hey Ashely, if you are waching AI, come post with me.

Oh, sing it Muski, that is my song. Maybe fans should take an oath like doctorr or lawyers or some one - First do no harm!

At no time to I comment on anyone's boss without their request. I like that Clay did not have to live through a "look who lost his contract" period.

Oh, By the by, Ellen had a conflict and had to drop out of IGB.

Saw this on CV

QUOTE(lindylo @ Apr 2 2008, 04:43 PM) *

from Corabeth at CH

An update from RCA Marketing---posted with permission

The press release to announce the album release and the lead single will be out on Friday

Tthere are definitely more webisodes coming

What and you didn't see that it is being released on the wrong day to ruin Clay's career?

J/k

Clay already said there would be more web episodes, so I am not sure why taht wouldbe added, unless... Someone asked taht question. Duh.

hey ashleysgram- no need to go back to lurking (says one of the biggest lurkers around)! I would SOOOO much rather hear from people who see the glass as half-full, instead of the usual "gloom and doom" that seems to follow every time Clay does an interview.

I for one can't wait until I have this new CD in my hot little hands! Since I have no background in or knowledge of marketing, PR, the music business, comparative sales figures, etc,etc,etc, I can just sit back and watch everything unfold in it's own time without wasting time on the angst and disappointment.

Clay seems to have a very high-maintenance fandom- it is amazing to me that he has been able to hold on to so many for so long- as sometimes, some of them almost seem to be hanging on against their will.