#29: EEEEEEEEEEEE!!! It's really happening!

Couch Tomato

What should be the next thread title at FCA?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• Ah, nothing left but the finale - and Clay's incredible career.
    • I am so obsessed. He's altered my DNA. I'm sure of it.
    • Hold on...you're going on a great and long ride!
    • I'd go with Godzilla if it meant I could see Clay even one more time in Spamalot.
    • Yes I'm babbling. What can I say? He makes me happy.
    • Clay has the vitality of the Energizer bunny...
    • Just the Clay parts first. His parts are FINE as WINE and all move..... varra varra nicely!
    • He loves us as we love him--unconditionally.
    • Today's Clay is hawt, polished, multi-faceted...
    • Faith has conquered fear...on my way here!
    • The man is a magnet. A super magnet.
    • Clay will always be Clayton, too.
    • I want it all and I want it now!
    • He is going to kill us all.
    • Can I move to ClayAikenville?
    • Whenever, wherever, I'll be there.

I understand about not being able to post from work (although I manage to do so, it's not without much cursing and swearing and logging in 25 times!) But you are welcome here.

I can't read at work, either. Zero tolerance for Internet use that is not work related. I'm working a half-day today, that's the only reason I am posting.

It's always hard to fit into a board that has close established friendships. I had one person tell me to post and just keep posting if no one responds. I don't have time to do that.

I have to go eat lunch and go to work. I need money for future Clay trips.

There were posts here that detailed how other boards were mean. I agreed with all of them. Every board is 'mean' in its own way. I feel that FCA, instead of being mean to individual posters, is mean to other boards.

Thanks for that clarification--now I understand, and agree. Sorry to be so dense.

I edited myself because I feel like I'm just stirring the turd. I don't think FCA is a bad/mean board. I enjoy reading here and would like to participate more, but I don't feel like I'm one of the core members. I also can't log on at work and I'm always behind.

I do understand that FCA feels like I'm attacking them, and I'm not. I wouldn't have said anything if YSRN had not posted. I thought FCA might appreciate seeing how it is viewed by SOME people out there. Obviously, YSRN had her feelings hurt and some could not understand it.

I have heard these things before, and didn't feel you were attacking us, but I wasn't sure you were being fair until you clarified a bit. I appreciate you doing that. When I first heard we were regarded as a mean board, I did feel sad, and I do feel sad about YSRN. :cry4:

FCA is what it is. When there is angst everywhere, you know you can come to FCA and find that most aren't upset about anything except all the boards being full of upset.

:cryingwlaughter:

- more about what they THINK of what Clay does, instead about what he actually does.
I just had to pull this little bit out of your post djs. It's so spot on. Plus they must be right about what they think, regardless of what it is. JMHO! :)

- I was trying to explain the humor in the horse bit to someone who didn't "get" it and I said it was like something out of Monty Python, no reason, just funny as hell.

Didn't know at the time how prescient I was!!!

I think it was a sooperseecrit clue that he was planning to do Spamalot. You know - bein' on a horse but not really bein' on a horse?? :cryingwlaughter:

I found him!! But it was hard since half his face is covered! I think Jimmy will show the tattoo on clay's leg too. :D

luckiest - thanks for the GBB recap and video! downloading now!

I'm still catching up (OMG you guys are chatty this morning!) I'm only to the bottom of pg 15.

So... this is slightly OT but I was surfing around and found an article in a Belfast online publication about Carly Smithson. This is the part that interested me.

Smithson - born Hennessy - who is originally from Dublin, moved to LA, aged 15, with her manager/father and was signed by MCA records for a six album deal.

The company spent millions of dollars on promoting her talents and in 2001 she released her debut album, Ultimate High, marketed on the back of a single I Wanna Blow Your Mind.

However, despite extensive promotion, the record flopped spectacularly, selling just 378 copies and recouping a mere $$5,000 out of $$2.2 million spent.

Despite this, Smithson won Best Female Singer at the Meteor Music Awards in Dublin in 2003.

FWIW! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Thankful, way way back when we were just starting out on this journey and the PRoC was going strong in the TWoP IE threads -- I felt like I was talking to myself when I posted. I really didn't make any early attachments. But I was really scanning the pages looking for Clay news and will probably be the only PRoCer there from the beginning to say...I wasn't really into a lot of it and couldn't recite most of the history that people feel is so important. I still don't get Tsathy to this day.

When CH was born that became my home for a very long time. And even there in the beginning although I thought I was typing in a vacuum and I kinda made myself go to the Sac IT party by myself. Permaswooned was the first person I met in the fandom. it was a great experience when someone across the table from me that I'd been reading for the past months (churchmouse) looked at my nametag and screamed COUCHTOMATO like she knew me. I was thinking me? She knows me? After that experience I worked to know people better...but it wasn't really work..it was fun. I think what I like about here is that many of the people here I haven't known for 5 years. And although a few us come from the same board I didn't really know some of them like KarenEh for instance. Wandacleo and I have been going to the same concerts for years and when I "met" her in Las Vegas..I'm like I KNOW YOU...but I didn't. I'd only seen her face around town. And others like Gibby and Jamar that I didn't know at all until they came here and now love them all to death. So I hope people who lurk or post and think they have no chance to break in try because we may be familiar but really I hope we aren't cliquish. And if you're going to be in NYC any time between April 26 and May 4 -- I'd love to meet up with you even if it's for coffee.

ETA: some of the eHP though..I slept with them long before I got to know them. Sluts.

hey muski... how about a :trink3:

ETA: some of the eHP though..I slept with them long before I got to know them. Sluts.
Hey, Couchie!...who you calling sluts? Sounds like you're referring to yourself! :cryingwlaughter:

hey muski... how about a (insert alcoholic beverage of choice here)
Sounds great to me! However, I have chauffering duties right after work tonight so can you come to my neck of the woods? :lilredani:

Oh, and Paulette? I love that you're posting more. If it took an angsty situation to make that happen, so be it! :cryingwlaughter: CG, Gibby, you---all buds from former boards who've found a home to various degrees here at FCA while still either participating at or lurking at other places. As the Goofy Guard at Swamp Castle says, "No problems!"

And since you DO know me, will you promise NOT to tell the police on me for using the internet at work? :ph34r::unsure: Lawdy...sometimes popping in here is the only thing keeping me from pulling a "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore" scene, ala "Network"!

I know that some people feel that if they post something and don't get a respnse, they are being ignored or not welcome. I see people saying this at this board and other boards, so I'm sure it's a feeling that's out there. I just don't think that's the case. I read what people write and even think about it sometimes, but I don't always have time to comment. Or I don't (usually) have anything of value to add. I think the best thing is to just post what you think and not worry about responses because what you or anyone says just becomes part of the fabiric of this [mean] board.

Geesh you guys talk alot. As soon as I get almost ready to post, you write some more, so some of these posts go back a ways. :cryingwlaughter:

PRODUCING OTHERS: He knows that those even younger than he have produced the work of other talented people and he admires that but "it's not necessarily a plan."

I thought this was a weird question? Did he ever express any interest in producing others?

CG... I read somewhere the person who asked that question. Can't remember where. She asked if his 5230 company would ever produce someone else.

An album filled with Clay's voice and meaningful lyrics?? I.CANNOT.WAIT!!!!!!!

ME, TOO!!!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Too bad I don't have some armour and some heavily armed Christians to take with me!

:cryingwlaughter:

Hi,

I've been lurking here since November, and really enjoy the positive attitude on this board. I made the mistake of reading some other boards before I came here tonight, and I just have to say you guys are a breath of fresh air. It's so refreshing not to have to plow through all the hand wringing and angst.

I didn't find the interview depressing at all, but I'm one who tends to see the glass as half full rather than half empty. What's going to happen with the CD is going to happen. I have no control over it, so I'm not going to waste my time worrying. I'm just excited about hearing that cute singerman sing new songs to me.

Back to lurking.

asleysgram... glad to see you posting. Keepem' coming, please, as I feel the same way.

hey ashleysgram- no need to go back to lurking (says one of the biggest lurkers around)! I would SOOOO much rather hear from people who see the glass as half-full, instead of the usual "gloom and doom" that seems to follow every time Clay does an interview.

I for one can't wait until I have this new CD in my hot little hands! Since I have no background in or knowledge of marketing, PR, the music business, comparative sales figures, etc,etc,etc, I can just sit back and watch everything unfold in it's own time without wasting time on the angst and disappointment.

Clay seems to have a very high-maintenance fandom- it is amazing to me that he has been able to hold on to so many for so long- as sometimes, some of them almost seem to be hanging on against their will.

laljeterfan... ain't that the truth! I think some are so invested in their Clay fandom at this point that they are going to make his success happen at any cost, including their own enjoyment and the enjoyment of others. Too many seem to think that the way they can make his success happen is to tell everyone what is wrong and what should be done to correct it... from their point of view. If Clay fails, then, in their mind, they fail cause they picked him. Clay's not going to fail... he's going to succeed in his unique way and, so far, I love it!

So....I was in the car with recently-back-from-Europe teenaged daughter and I was telling her the cute story about two elderly Jewish sisters sitting next to me at one of the Spamalot shows. And when I was finished she calmly said, "That's a cute story, Mom---almost as cute as the first time you told it to me." I said, "Well, why didn't you stop me then?" And she said, "Because then I would sound too much like you when Grammy tells you things more than once."

You know, I really don't know WHERE that kid gets her sarcastic sense of humor from... :whistling-1:

muski... I don't know either. :whistling-1:

Okay, I’ve been elsewhere and now *I* have to rant. <g> Speaking of NEVER learning…

3) Errrrr…..someone’s not really listening to the people referred to in #2 because they haven’t caught on to the idea of giving a CD time to succeed before planning a tour. <g> Why would you tour right away?? Your audience will just be the same core fan base – why not give the album time before you tour? Isn’t this common sense??

8a) You really haven’t learned to temper your expectations about EVERYTHING Clay does and haven’t realized that his goals may not be YOURS??? Really??? WHY????????????

All versions of "YOU" used in this post are universal. Nothing in this post is directed at anyone on this board - except that last bit about Muski. <g>

Heidi... I like these two points the mostest, especially your postscript! :cryingwlaughter:

Thanks for the sanity over here. I'm not getting into things much anymore and find myself in a wait and see mode. I know I will love Clay's new CD for the most part because it is new music from Clay but other than my own enjoyment, I can't get all bothered by the angst and speculations of the fandom. It's taken me 5 years to get here but I'm finally able to let go and let God where Clay is concerned. I know how talented he is and as long as he shares that talent, I'm there and I'm buying.

I am also glad to hear that he is going to take some time for himself. After this Broadway run while making and promoting a new CD, I'm sure he needs a little space to unwind. I also agree that he needs some time to let the interest in his new project build beyond the fanbase. Wait and see is my new mantra.

I'm glad you are all here and I read everyday. Just still needing to take space for myself from all of the drama in the ClayNation.

skybar... :F_05BL17blowkiss: Word to your post, especially the bolded part!

It's all just because we're human. Everyone thinks their view from the window is the best view. Many just want to be the loudest. Well, the house has a lot of different views and windows. It just always helps to remember that. I know in my own family, there's some dysfunction, Duh. I'd like to paint a better picture of my family, but that wouldn't make it true. I think a balance is healthy. I come here to look out other windows. I like to keep a balance. I'm sure some have had bitter experiences on other boards. I think it helps to always remember that we all are just regular people in society, and these are just fanboards. It isn't healthy to let this stuff make you sick. If it does make you too emotional, than backing away for a week or whatever you need can be helpful. This board life is not for everyone and being a Clay fan has never been totally easy although, in my book, the joy always outweighs the bad. It is all about keeping a healthy perspective.

Sometimes, I feel like an outsider here, because no one really knows me. That's OK, I want to get to know you guys.

merryclay... I LOVE your house/window/view analogy! Thanks for sharing it. :clap:

When I first joined FCA, I really wanted to belong cause I liked the style here. I just posted away until I felt I belonged. IMO, that's the only way to do it. It is true that the more you respond to people, the more they respond to you and the more you feel a part. It works that way in any new endeavor.

Being a Clay fan is the easiest thing I have ever done.

But that is because I am the house. The boards are my windows into all things Clay. I go to different windows, for different views. I try not to whine if I don't like the view out any one window...I just pull the shade and move on to another window. In a few days (or hours) I can lift the shade and find the view has changed, the clouds have lifted perhaps, maybe I'll find sunshine and flowers! Or maybe I'll have to pull the shade back down.

But they are my windows. Only I can control how much I let their view effect me.

rohdy... not only do you have good ideas (book drive), but you make great sense, oh wise one! :clap: Bolded part is the bestest viewpoint of all and totally true. I think another wise person we know once said that, "It's not what happens to you, but how you respond to it that defines you." Or, that's the jist of it anyhow... :cryingwlaughter:

- more about what they THINK of what Clay does, instead about what he actually does.
I just had to pull this little bit out of your post djs. It's so spot on. Plus they must be right about what they think, regardless of what it is. JMHO!

cha cha... WORD

- I was trying to explain the humor in the horse bit to someone who didn't "get" it and I said it was like something out of Monty Python, no reason, just funny as hell.

Didn't know at the time how prescient I was!!!

I think it was a sooperseecrit clue that he was planning to do Spamalot. You know - bein' on a horse but not really bein' on a horse??

lily... let me know if you can predict the stock market!

Whew... I'm sure that while I was writing this tome, I have now gotten 16 pages behind. Oh, well! Such is life on a Clay board.

So is this a recent music list by Clay? Does it mean we don't have to hate Kim Locke anymore? J/k

Hi Everyone! I stopped in here last night because of the angst all over and I enjoyed your conversations. So I joined.

I think he is a better person than I will every be in including her. She certainly doesn't name him as one of her favorites. I think my opinion of her hasn't changed since 2003.

I just edited myself, because I think I'm in a no-win situation. Some members here will never see how their posts could be considered mean to people who post at other boards or how feelings could be hurt.

You're not in a no win situation if you just want convo. I've actually enjoyed reading everyone's perspective. I wish you wouldn't have edited yourself. I certainly agreed with you that I'd heard the same things and the subject you brougth up is getting attention cuz..well it's all about us. heh. And I'm more than willing to examine myself.

I'll respond to the other part of this on my lunch break.

Ah, I haven't been over here since yesterday morning so I ended up reading five pages backwards to try to get a feel for things. I will just toss in my two cents, for what it's worth.

I haven't been posting here all that long, so I guess since I have my foot in the door on more than one board, I will tell you how things look to me.

I too post on a few boards. I agree each and everyone has it's own flavor. They all have good points and bad points. I am quiet thankfully friends with members on each board. There are some members on each board I will probably not become close friends with...sort of like RL. The only 'habit' I have found from the posters here...and yes, I do know that's a gross generalization and yes I do think members of each board form like habits...is that there is a tendency to have 'them' conversations as opposed to 'I' conversations...at least to start with.

Picture of group of people standing around at a party having a conversation, you then walk from one room into another (and I do think each fan board is that closely connected) and since they are talking about the same topic, you start talking in the new group as well.

Now, do you spend your time in the new group talking about what the people in the last room thought, how you disagreed with them, how you think they don't see things the same, or do you enter into the new conversation stating your own opinions and feelings and go from there?

I find that here at times. Someone comes in and complains about the conversation they just had or overheard in the other room (or board as the case may be) and then everyone here joins in and eventually have a nice conversation about the topic of the day...but that's usually at the expense of whomever it was that the initial poster disagreed with in the first place.

I know I am probably as clear as mud about this...sorry.

If you come in and start the conversation, 'OMG, what a bitchy world it is out there! Everyone is going freakin' nuts. I don't know what's wrong with them!, ' as opposed to "I think that interview is great!', you get an entirely different feeling when the bottom line is the same. You're saying you liked the interview...or didn't like it as the case may be...but you're not saying how screwed up the people in the other room are. You now have a conversation about the interview and not about the fans talking about the interview.

..and that's not even bringing up the fact that some people from the first room turn up in that other group later and find out they've been grouped with 'the idiots in the other room.'

Welcome, njrp4clay! :welcome:

So is this a recent music list by Clay? Does it mean we don't have to hate Kim Locke anymore? J/k

Hi Everyone! I stopped in here last night because of the angst all over and I enjoyed your conversations. So I joined.

Welcome!

I think he is a better person than I will every be in including her. She certainly doesn't name him as one of her favorites. I think my opinion of her hasn't changes since 2003.

And now you may think I'm picking on you...but I have a question: does she HAVE to name him as one of her favorites? That is a serious question.

To me, there's always been this weird vibe that those who have worked with Clay, at one point or another, must fall all over their feet to praise Clay, at least in a few people's eyes. And yes, KLo's possibly said and done some not-so-nice things regarding Clay....but I just let her roll off my back. I feel there are going to be some people who, even working with Clay, won't "get him." And that fine. As far as Clay being that "better person" -- well, yeah. I think he is. I also think he may still just love KLo's voice.

You've owned up to your opinions mjrp4clay, and I like that. I also won't force you to like KLo, even though I still do.

JMO and all those silly letters.

laughn, that's actually a pretty analogy. I try to avoid that kind of thinking when I can, but I have to admit that for me, I think it's pretty easy, because I stick with my two little boards, this one and one that you know as well, and that's pretty much it. Every once in a great while, I do venture out, but it's a little too scary, and a little too blechy, for me.

Nah, I thought you were perfectly clear, laughn - it's that at times people's reactions to things, especially the way they influence how things are perceived (good, bad or indifferent) sometimes is the topic. People tend to discuss people a lot.

And I'm not the most tactful person in the world (surprise) - but if I think you are having an idiotic reaction, I tend to group you with others having the same idiotic reaction. It could be that one thing. It could be a whole rainbow of things. Like my youngest sister and I are going to visit the house the sister between us just bought - for way too much money - and it's a fixer-upper - and less then 10 miles from her current house - which she hasn't sold. We've told her we think she's an idiot. Me and the younger sister have told the youngest sister that frankly she tends to dress up our youngest nephew in such a way that he looks like "Huggy Bear" of Starsky and Hutch fame - and her drawn on eyebrows are really, horribly fake and we think she's an idiot in those situations. Don't get me started on my oldest sister. Of course, I'm perfect in every way, no matter what those bitches tell y'all, by the way. Really. Having everything I own covered in cat fur is trendy, I tell you! Of course, we have long term relationships that allow us to say these things (notwithstanding the two years I didn't talk to the youngest sister after she explained in excruciating detail to me and her best friends why I was the most amoral person in the entire world that she knew. I didn't argue with the amoral part - I argued that that didn't made me bad.).

We're still working on our relationships in this fandom, I think. I know I have some difficulties because honestly, before Clay, I simply didn't hang out or talk to women - they seemed to be a little too emotional for my tastes. I like guys - they're easy to control deal with.

That made perfect sense Laughn. I know what you're saying but I think the conversations start out as I conversations and later turned into them conversations. Usually it's after my high is crushed. And then I get nosy and want to know what's going on without risking my rising blood pressure by actually going to see for myself. Speaking for myself it's not one person's opinion that ever gets to me.. it's when the collective gets so apprehensive...great word Play. It's unhealthy to me. I'm not saying one person not liking the article is unhealthy. The group hysteria (play find me another word) is what I always repsponded to. (not saying this is the case yesterday cuz I didn't go out) I didn't want to use that word but can't think of another one. It's contagious. So maybe what we do here is contagious too but it doesn't feel "emotional" to me. Am I calling out anybody with a different opinion? No. But I'm sure it may be interpreted as such. So I do get it. I care what people at this board think and I'm sorry if anyone is hurt. I'd rather you just tell us what you think and stay and play. Every board has their issues and it seems like we get defined by our days of exasperation. But then again, maybe every board does. I can live with it.

And it feels like you've been posting here forever!

Welcome, njrp4clay! :welcome:

Agreed..Welcome..I don't want anyone to get lost in the shuffle..although it seems I got pretty ignored yesterday..should have posted the scoop in the sooooooooper sekrit thread heh.

No she doesn't have to name Clay ldyjocelyn to her list. No one has to like him but they don't have to put me down because I do. There are many artist out there that I do not like. That's why there is all kinds of music.

Thanks for the welcome.

Break time (which was following doggy play time and preceding yard work time part duex)

I think he is a better person than I will every be in including her. She certainly doesn't name him as one of her favorites. I think my opinion of her hasn't changed since 2003.

I think a lot of people don't care for her, as long as you don't insist Clay really hates her, I don't care. My first inkling of something going wrong in 2005 or early 2006, when an influencial poster insisted to me Clay hated Ruben. I don't know what Clay really thinks, but I generally just wait for him to tell me, and he told me (in one of our personal blog conversations between hime, me and a few hundred OFC members) that he liked Ruben enough to go to one of his concerts and thought I should go as well.

......To me, there's always been this weird vibe that those who have worked with Clay, at one point or another, must fall all over their feet to praise Clay, at least in a few people's eyes. .....

Oooh, strike me with a David Foster thought. O maybe a Mike Nichols thought. I think Clay works or plays with people well and maybe there will be something some day or maybe there will not. I can wait without making plans for Clay to do A or B just because he knows something. I have always thought that one problem some deal with is disappointment because they dream so big for Clay and rarely do those dreams come true. With Grammy's and Tonys and what not, Not everyone gets everything right away. There are so many things that happen we don't even expect and can't dream about. Like that Award that Merrieeee found out about and did not leak. What a wonderful surprise! And no fans (who reported) were there! also nice. Or that lecture he did to the teachers, where there were fans to report, what a thrill for them and a great surprise for us. They were small but obviously meant a lot to Clay. Not everyone gets taht kind of appreciation (or deserves it)

In some ways, that Clay Aiken guy is pretty lucky and, in other ways, works hard to have the future he wants. I think he should go for what he wants.

ETA - Am I the only person left registered at the American Idol board? The one where anything posted negative about Ai or 19E mysteriously disappears without announcement

Nah, I thought you were perfectly clear, laughn - it's that at times people's reactions to things, especially the way they influence how things are perceived (good, bad or indifferent) sometimes is the topic. People tend to discuss people a lot.

<snip>

We're still working on our relationships in this fandom, I think. I know I have some difficulties because honestly, before Clay, I simply didn't hang out or talk to women - they seemed to be a little too emotional for my tastes. I like guys - they're easy to control deal with.

Don't mean to cut your post apart KAndre, but you just hit on something that I think makes a difference for me as well. I was raised by men, grew up with them, and until I went away to college, never associated with other girls much at all. I don't like to shop, don't like to talk on the phone much...(I am still learning that)...and when the other members of my all female teaching staff gather together and the talk turns to talking about others, I'm out of there. Actually, any personal talk about other teachers or families I consider unprofessional, so I don't play that.

...which takes me back to the boards...I love me some Clay Aiken. I love to talk about him. I love to praise and plead, and sometimes worry about the guy. I might even state my disappointment at something that's happening in his life...but I try not to get into talking about the other people talking about him.

Couchie... :F_05BL17blowkiss: totally agree...

Every board has their issues and it seems like we get defined by our days of exasperation. But then again, maybe every board does.

I think we need some of this:

irishboodgal4-2-08sd1.jpg

And a little of this:

irishbookgal4-2-08sd3_edited-1.jpg

Welcome njrp4clay!

You ladies are all so smart; just been nodding along in agreement while catching up.

So had a sort of "Clay" moment today; had to call tech support regarding a problem on the database we use to order books and I hear this very sweet southern voice say, "Hi, my name is Clayton, how may I help you?"...honest to God, I actually got tongue-tied hearing that and my mind went blank for a couple of seconds! Unfortunately, he could not help me (it has been a day...customer service hell to the max...can I just say how much I hate those automated voices that ask you tell them what you want...they just sound so condescending) but it was nice talking to him!

So Muski, you couldn't fit All My Children into your closing statement?

Kim

So had a sort of "Clay" moment today; had to call tech support regarding a problem on the database we use to order books and I hear this very sweet southern voice say, "Hi, my name is Clayton, how may I help you?"...honest to God, I actually got tongue-tied hearing that and my mind went blank for a couple of seconds! Unfortunately, he could not help me (it has been a day...customer service hell to the max...can I just say how much I hate those automated voices that ask you tell them what you want...they just sound so condescending) but it was nice talking to him!

oh I've felt that before..when a certain car I was in in December with 3 smart women, a 2, maybe 3 GPS, couldn't find our hotel. No names heh. So after circling around for a bit I call 411 and I get the hotel's number, call them..and Clayton guides us to our destination.

njrp4Clay... WELCOME!!! Glad you came on board!

That's it... no page long catcher-upper this time, thank goodness! :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

Wow. Go to bed, work all day and look what you miss.

So much to digest.

First - YSRN - my fraternal Twin - :cry4: And I am sorry for my part in your feeling the way you do.

I will try and explain my feelings on all this. As Thankful mentioned, she told me back in January - after the opening night show at Sardi's, that FCA was known as "the mean board" and that was because how sometimes - IMO a very small minority of the time - we talk about the boards on the boards. I get why that upsets some. I get why some who post at other boards feel painted with a broad brush. And I get why some see it as mean and why some are personally hurt by it. And getting that I guess it is something that shouldn't happen. But it does.

I explained to her MY theory as to why this happens here when things gets especially angsty or nasty out there.

IMO, this board started to really flourish when the ATDW angst extraordinaire was about to push many fans off the boards forever. Some of us stumbled upon this board, or were referred to this board by a friend ( :F_05BL17blowkiss: to muski for that!) or knew about it all along and just started hanging out here more. It became a kind of haven because, believe it or not, most of the time we were just Clay fans having fun. As the banner says "Where fans of Clay come to play"! But, because so many came here escaping the same thing and because of admins and mods (who out numbered the members at that time!) let us, many of us found a place to let off steam and vent the frustrations of some of the other boards. And believe me, between the conspiracy theories and RCA hate and the super seekrit insider info and those who were literally telling RCA marketing and Handleman how to do their jobs and more super seekrit "I can't tell you how I know but I know" information (some of which we have since found out was texted from FC!).... Well, if you read any of the other boards you just needed a place to explode - a place where people there wouldn't label you an idiot or ignorant or a bad Clay fan or where the mods wouldn't green ink you AND in a place where the conversation would soon turn to smut and lust and EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEs and fun.

With that as the reason so many found their way to this message board, I guess its only natural when things are getting dicey out there to come back to the one place you know you can vent. Is that being mean? Maybe. But so much of what is said on the other boards is mean - maybe even meaner. For example, I have read on public boards people ripping on Ethel, people ripping on the person who had many, many A101 seats at Spamalot - and there have been other instances of fans turning on fans. I won't even get into the nastiness expressed by some over anything RCA, Clive' Simon, AI etc. I mean, some people are ripping this Leona Lewis

person just because Simon likes her and Clive is backing her! I mean, if you just don't like her voice, don't like her voice, but just because Simon likes her and she is receiving promotion from Clive and RCA isn't a reason to hate on her! To me, that is mean. This does NOT happen on every board and NOT by every person on those boards. Not even by the majority on those other boards, but by a VERY vocal minority who seem to take over and set the tone. And it isn't always like that on other boards - anymore than we always talk about the other boards here.

I know YSRN said why do we go out and read other boards if we don't like them. Again, my theory is we all came from other boards and many still post at multiple boards. And for me, although this is the only place I post anymore, I still read elsewhere because when they aren't angsting and theorizing and extrapolating, you can find interesting information and purdy pictures and there are people who post who make me laugh or make me think. More times than not I read the few other boards I read because it interests me. More times than not when I start to read angst and conspiracy theories and the "experts" I scroll. But sometimes, like yesterday, it just gets to me. I think it was reminding me a bit too much of what happened with ATDW. A little too much deja vu all over again.

I don't think its fair to categorize this board as "mean" because we have members who vent their frustrations from time to time about other boards. It is NOT what this board is. But alas, it seems to be the one thing that gets us noticed. And that's ok, because I for one know the truth about this board. We have our faults and we make mistakes and sometimes perhaps things are posted that shouldn't be - both about happenings on other boards and about things on this board, But that to me is human. We ain't perfect!

For the most part, this is a pretty nice place to be. We are treated by the admins and the mods like adults - most of the time. We tend to talk through our problems and concerns. We yell and scream at each other, let out our frustrations and fears and anger. We work through our problems. Then we have a group hug and move on.

Ok maybe the group hug thing is a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the idea.

Is it the right fit for everyone? No, it probably isn't. I just don't like when we are judged on one day or one week. I mean, there are times when it seems like the whole board is PMSing! Let it pass and we'll be ok but don't judge us on how we are acting for that brief period of time!

And if when the board is PMSing and you can't stand it, take a break and walk away for awhile. Things will get back to the fun eventually.

I hope YSRN will be back to have fun again. We need to bitch slapped sometimes. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

This is such a good time to be a Clay fan. We have been given the gift of Spamalot. Clay has talked about his music. He is about to release an album which he says is him - his choices, songs that resonate with him, songs he likes with meaningful lyrics, and there will be pretty pictures on the CD! His voice will soon be wafting over our hearts and souls and making all our girlie parts tingle. There will be all sorts of clack with his CD promotion. Eventually he will tour. Good times. Good year.

We are all so lucky to have discovered the cute, skinny, right now too blond for my taste, talented, singer sometimes actor, humanitarian, funny, snarky, smart, articulate, southern guy. He has brought us joy and laughter and tears and friendship and music. In the end, that is what really matters.

And in the end, I think everyone here knows that. Which is why I know in the end, after we take a break to bitch and moan and ridicule - at other boards and sometimes at each other - after we have worked through our problems and disagreements, we'll find our way back to the fun and the smut and laughter and the EEEEEEEEEEEEEEs.

Because in the end, FCA really IS where fans of Clay come to play.