#29: EEEEEEEEEEEE!!! It's really happening!

Couch Tomato

What should be the next thread title at FCA?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• Ah, nothing left but the finale - and Clay's incredible career.
    • I am so obsessed. He's altered my DNA. I'm sure of it.
    • Hold on...you're going on a great and long ride!
    • I'd go with Godzilla if it meant I could see Clay even one more time in Spamalot.
    • Yes I'm babbling. What can I say? He makes me happy.
    • Clay has the vitality of the Energizer bunny...
    • Just the Clay parts first. His parts are FINE as WINE and all move..... varra varra nicely!
    • He loves us as we love him--unconditionally.
    • Today's Clay is hawt, polished, multi-faceted...
    • Faith has conquered fear...on my way here!
    • The man is a magnet. A super magnet.
    • Clay will always be Clayton, too.
    • I want it all and I want it now!
    • He is going to kill us all.
    • Can I move to ClayAikenville?
    • Whenever, wherever, I'll be there.

YSRN,

I understand what you are saying. I do feel that 'sometimes' this board takes a 'we are better than them' attitude and I have been turned off by it. (Sorry FCAers, just being honest. FCA does have a rep as a mean board.)

I think it may appear “mean” to some because the people here are *allowed* to be blatantly honest in their responses to what goes on around Clay Nation, regardless of what board it comes from. The truth hurts, as they say. Although I have to confess, I have no clue why YSRN feels attacked. I certainly wasn’t thinking of her at all when I wrote what I wrote. In fact, all I had was just a vague impression that I got after traveling around Clay Nation for the first time in a while. I’m not one who typically remembers names and a person’s history (with some exceptions of course) – every day is a clean slate with me. <g>

What I posted here tonight, I would have posted at CV, only I would have been green inked for doing so.

Well, this is it in a nutshell. You *can’t* say what you really think in most places. In a place where you ARE allowed to, it’s going to come off “mean” at times, when it’s just not hidden like it is in MOST places. Is someone being “nicer” when they just say things behind your back??

I won't make fun of the other boards for wanting to angst, but I would like to express my amazement at the angst without being slapped down for having an opinion.

I can say that last part myself.

Or what muski said.

on the eHP rooms:

merrieeee, wasn't excluding you, just talking to the folks who were logged in.

so far it looks like:

72 degrees - Heidi, KF, 00lsee

80 degrees - KAndre, merrieeee, couchie

75 degrees - Solo, PerusingOne, Scarlett

Are you SURE that 80 degrees is warm enough for KAndre??? <g> It was the Amazon or some other equally warm and humid place in her room last time. And I’ve heard stories about YOU Miss Scarlett about leaving the room windows open in wintertime. <g>

Mean is as mean does. And that's all I'll say about that. :lilredani:

Wow. Simple, perfect and brilliant. <g>

KAndre comes skipping in...

What can I say? I had a perfectly lovely time last night - off the boards!

But I'm back!

FCA the mean board? Hell, I can live with that, as I have told everyone up front - Chicks, I'm mean. Many love me anyway. I started at TWoP (the queen of mean). Am still a member of the CH (which had more of a reputation of "mean", stuck-up, definitely better-than-thou for a WHOLE lot of people for a very long time - cool? Yeah, cool in that high school cliquish way. Feh. I ain't cool, ain't never been cool, and frankly think "cool" is stupid. ). Was a member of RHT (because frankly couldn't figure out how to get the hell out of it - oh wait, they had a reputation of mean AND crazy!). The CB? Mean to the people they didn't like. OFC? Crazy and mean and uncontrollable. CV? Never thought about their rep that much. I am still a member of every one of those boards because at some point something in them clicked for me. I still read because I occasionally do get something out of them, and I try not to be one who throws the baby out with the bathwater.

This is a board I feel comfortable at, mainly because I like the way it's run. There's a lot of stuff said that I agree with, a lot of stuff said that I don't and eventually it's all given it's say, an appropriate amount of weight, and we go back to generally enjoying Clay. As far as I know, I post generally the same wherever I post. I just tend to limit my posting here not. But oddly enough, lots of people still seem to see it. You know what I think is funny? We actually agree with/like/squee over 90% of stuff brought over here from other boards. But that last 10%...that really catches people's attention.

I do find us to be fairly "real" here, showing ourselves as we are and as we see others, warts, bright smiles, and all.

eHP rooms:

It's not the heat, it's the humidity! HA HA!

Scarlett can keep dreaming - PerusingOne's laptop alone adds 4 degrees to the ambient temperature of the bed!

And I didn't have a fireplace going in July in Raleigh...I'm just sayin'.

Clay's music:

Likes him some country, don't he?

The only artists he listed that I generally like are Clay Aiken and Alison Krauss!

And I am rolling over "Crooner's Christmas"!

And did he really add the import versions of MOAM?

Sorry, didn't mean anything by it, I just get nervous with Amazon because sometimes lists of songs are created by customers, but this seems to be an official artist listing.

Eeeeek, took me forever to post this because the damn board logged me out and wouldn't let me back in. :P

Sorry, didn't mean anything by it, I just get nervous with Amazon because sometimes lists of songs are created by customers, but this seems to be an official artist listing.

Eeeeek, took me forever to post this because the damn board logged me out and wouldn't let me back in. :P

oh I just didn't scroll enough to see that it was Clay's recommendations.. I fit the profile as I don't actually follow contemporary music...I know many of the artists names he mentioned but have only heard KLo's song. And I've heard KC's solo version of BOY, not the duet. Boy loves country hee. Not suprising.

Anyway thanks for all your responses since last night. I didn't read anywhere else yesterday but then I rarely do. I often time know when something will hit Clay Nation the wrong way..NY mag article for example. I honestly didn't see it coming. Oh I knew that people would be upset at no tour news or no overseas promotion. I honestly didn't see the writer hate coming - even though she summed up his responses I didn't find them disrespectful to Clay. And yep I take every interview with a grain. However, if you did, I'd truly like to know why and I hope people aren't afraid to post that here.

I have to say that when I was reading the article I got to thinking about this bit..I think it's from the 3 stooges when they're counting money and it's one hundred, two hundred, three hundred, twenty.. throws it away..how'd that get in here. LOL. The producing others question didn't seem like something the fandom has been clammoring to know and I didn't see it mention on the comments I read yesterday...but I stopped reading after the first 130 or so. Seemed so out of the blue.

Truly the most interesting thing he said is finding fast songs he felt comfortable with... . I'm thrilled he found some uptempo he loved enough to put on the album. I have to tell you though I'm really looking forward to my I Survived you like On My Way Here.

Can someone who knows music sum up what type of songs Clay is recommending?

This is a board I feel comfortable at, mainly because I like the way it's run. There's a lot of stuff said that I agree with, a lot of stuff said that I don't and eventually it's all given it's say, an appropriate amount of weight, and we go back to generally enjoying Clay. As far as I know, I post generally the same wherever I post. I just tend to limit my posting here not. But oddly enough, lots of people still seem to see it. You know what I think is funny? We actually agree with/like/squee over 90% of stuff brought over here from other boards. But that last 10%...that really catches people's attention.

loved your post K...especially this part.

Play glad you put your post back... and I agree..we don't have any designated ok to hate from other boards list here. For better or wosrt, we're equal opportunity.

I don't actually know music, but SURPRISE! I have an opinion!

They're all PRETTY! Clay likes PRETTY songs, just like me!

Eeeeeeeeee!

ahem.

That's all I got.

I had no idea this was considered to be a "mean" board.... :confused-smiley-014:

Is it sort of like the equivalent of the French Taunters in Spamalot? :imgtongue:

Those eyelashes do totally rock, but are we supposed to be able to see the thingies that keep the collar from curling up? Pretty color...cheap shirt? Or it the shirt inside out because I think I see stitches? I'm so confused!

Philosphical rant, perfect for scrolling -

angst 1

n. A feeling of anxiety or apprehension often accompanied by depression.

angst

noun

an acute but unspecific feeling of anxiety; usually reserved for philosophical anxiety about the world or about personal freedom

See - this word people hate in definition 1 is what I am talking about - it is not a bad word, but it is the aprehension - perhaps I should use that word

The second definition may not apply unless Clay is your world or he controls your freedom. Well, there are some people for whom Clay has become their world. Other people may have given up thier freedom (?) for Clay

There are others who are just honest in their discussion, but it is the overwhelming depression that I fear. But I hope it is limited and a surface emotion. No one description ever describes everyone.

One thing I have learned is that Clay is no liar. If he is warning of something, there is a reason which may or may not apply to me. But since I am not sure what he means, I won't worry about it.

I don't like everything he has ever done, ACAC was a bit of a snoozer, but I do know someone who did love it, so, whatever. I do not like every song Clay ever recorded, many of the demos (his choice, heh) are things I don't like, some I even deleted some. I don't save all clack, I probably save less than others, it just seems like I save a lot.

I overreact when my own disfunctional family member its attacked, but I think our dysfunction is minor compared to others and I don't speak so that a few people think I lived in the ideal family, I did not, but our dysfunction are more in the mildly irritable and I do/did love them all and think each person did /does their best. I can do without having two cousins (I have 75 first cousins, can't even name them all, but I did count them once) use me as a battlefield of who is the best daughter and why the other one is screwing up their Mother's life, but I just put them on speaker and uh huh a lot and they eventually go away, but then their Mother calls and wants to treat me as pretend daughter or pretend sister, I do not want to go there.!

In a way, this Clay family is our dysfunctional family and sometimes I am angry at the people I like most and don't care about the people I don't like at all. Sometimes I love one part of some people and dislike another part. Much like my cousins, there are people who fight each other on a personal level In many ways, a lot of people, including me, have made snap judgements of people we don't really know based on one post or one action in public. I try to backpedal all the time because it is just one part of people and if we drive away toomany fans, who will buy the albums, but in anotehr way, I wish the people whoreally don't like Clay or his music don't try to force themselves to fit in and make everyone else unhappy. It is kind of like getting a divorce when you don't love someone anymore, with the leaving a place where you are comfortable. Than again, some leavings are explosive and take some innocent victims with them. I wonder if the shortened length of celebration of good news is because there are people who are just personally unhappy and feel the need to dampen the joy for others, not to bring unhappiness, but because they see the world (and Clay) through not-rose colored glasses and want others to share their vision.

[end of philosophy]

back to silly

d1c56fd0.jpg

I was thinking about all this this morning and I came to a conclusion--one that's specifically for me. When I was in my early 20s I came to realize that my mother lived her life sincerely believing that her perspective was indeed everyone's reality. No need to go into all the details, but I cannot begin to tell you the impact of that epiphany on my own psyche, attitude, and most importantly, my way of 'being' with people.

Accountability. Personal accountability. For me, that's it. Speak to me. Tell me what you think and how you feel. (tellmewhatyouwantwhatyoureallyreallywant...heh)...whether your opinion is of other things or of me. And then, when discussion ensues, OWN what you say. I promise to do the same.

What is really NOT my cuppa is subterfuge, whisperings and murmurings beneath smiles, funny house mirrored faces slicing up words and meanings depending on the angle upon which you see them; in short, don't bullshit me.

So this is my 'third' board---I left the first because as the initial excitement of the whole message board "thing" wore away, I realized that I really didn't have much in common with a large number of the people on that board. The second went through so many iterations that it became exhausting to try to understand and. And then I found this one, which was verra verra small and quiet and that was exactly what I was looking for. And posters seemed generally happy with their fan involvement and there actually seemed to be honesty in the posts. I still believe that, by the way.

And ironically, just as I 'got in' on the CH---a board that did have that aura of privilege and specialness and coolness for so long---there seemed to be a shift in the wind there, too. There are still people on all the boards I've participated in that I truly love and many others whom I truly enjoy talking with and exchanging ideas with. The difference for me in my 'fandom' is that I have less patience now with the INVOLVMENT of fans in Clay's life and career. And with the (to me at least) rather odd fascination of some with being 'in' on aspects of his life that I just don't see as being aspects that require our presence. I often hear of how Clay's fans and he have a unique type of relationship--one of 'family'. I can certainly agree with that to a degree; however, I have family that I love but I don't need Cousin Homer telling me when to change my investment portfolio distribution, knowwhati'msayin'? :cryingwlaughter:

Anyhoo...I'm over it. I'm still here and ain't goin' nowhere. I'll still state my opinions and welcome people's responses or challenges. I'm sure I'll get pissy sometimes, too. You have my permission to get pissy back AT me if you want/need to. I'll take that, no problem.

Just don't smile at me indulgently in public and then go to some private board to talk about how pissy (insert other adjective as desired) I am, you know? Don't spy, react but keep quiet in public and then gather round some secret campfire to stick pins in voodoo dolls. Own your opinions and be real, for crying out loud. It helps, too, if personalities of the same person don't rival Sybil's 17 or so in number and dissonance, depending on which board you post. As long as you're YOU, I can certainly hang with your right to be you. Might not particularly want to sleep with you in a hot/cold hotel room somewhere :cryingwlaughter: , or listen to you expound on your latest excellent whatever...but hey, some people might not want to share a room with a smutter who writes fantasy 'stuff' about a man young enough to be her... :whistling-1: younger lover, either, so it all evens out.

:imgtongue:

And As the World Turns, the final word is that we only have One Life to Live. It's inevitable that we will be The Young and the Restless from time to time as we Search for Tomorrow to be a better time and a better place. With Clay as our muse, no doubt we will spend days and nights in Passion and with the fandom as it is, we will be lucky NOT to spend any time in General Hospital! :lmaosmiley-1:

Crap. I'm back in my office and there's real work to be done. Crap.

ETA: the recommended music list from Clay? I haven't heard one of those songs! BWAH! Wonder how long it will take for those artists to see a sharp peak in sales? :lilredani:

ETA Again...playbiller! Read this part of your post and then my first paragraph about my epiphany re: my mom and then CUE the Twilight Zone music!

there are people who are just personally unhappy and feel the need to dampen the joy for others, not to bring unhappiness, but because they see the world (and Clay) through not-rose colored glasses and want others to share their vision.
:huh::unsure: Whoa, mama! heh.

Playbiller- Many people have tried to put this into words. you did it; you really did. LOL!

Quote- Playbiller

I wish the people whoreally don't like Clay or his music don't try to force themselves to fit in and make everyone else unhappy. It is kind of like getting a divorce when you don't love someone anymore, with the leaving a place where you are comfortable. Than again, some leavings are explosive and take some innocent victims with them. I wonder if the shortened length of celebration of good news is because there are people who are just personally unhappy and feel the need to dampen the joy for others, not to bring unhappiness, but because they see the world (and Clay) through not-rose colored glasses and want others to share their vision.

That just makes a lot of sense to me, but what happens is the really, really, lost that loving feeling, dissatisfied fan doesn't want to give up the board, their friends or maybe even the game.

OK, I've been working. Truly I have. I've gotten a bunch done. Truly.

But I've also been listening to the music on Clay's list. The only one I knew at first glance was Kelly/Reba -- I think their version tops Kelly's solo version. But then, I remembered that I heard a bit of KLo's song during last week's AI. A ballad, if I remember correctly.

And then...I checked out Sara Bareilles, and knew IMMEDIATELY the song. It started as a commercial (check out the YouTube

), and is now a major hit on AC radio. Maybe this will jog some memories? And, ironically, the chorus is "I'm not gonna write you a love song..." Heh.

Hmmmm....just thought of something. Sting had one of his biggest hits recently, Desert Rose, by being featured in a Jaguar commercial. The song was produced by Kipper. Hmmmm....

Anyway, most of the other songs on Clay's list are ballad-y to me. I'm thrilled that he thinks Alison Krause's voice is "like an angel," because I totally agree with that assessment. The Chris Botti choice is very interesting to me -- it's almost "smooth jazz," and for some reason, that doesn't jive with what I think Clay would like. He's a constant surprise, that's for sure.

ETA: Oh yeah, I know (and really like) "Everything" by Michael Buble, and I've heard that one on AC radio too. But then, I'm one of the few people who is a Clay fan who also LIKES Buble. I'm sure I'll be ducking tomatoes soon...

*throws tomatoes at ldyj*

Hee, just kidding.

Buble grates on my nerves, but only because I don't think he deserves all the hype. I agree he's talented. I thought Clay's choices were interesting, too. Most I'd never heard before (except Kelly & Kim). I liked that Love Song one that was uptempo (and the lyrics CMSU too). I wouldn't go so far as to say that he and I share the same tastes in music, but it's v.v. cool to get a feel for what he likes. I can't wait to hear what he has in store for us on May 6th!

Is somebody fighting??? I'm so confused.

I AM, however, sure of one thing---I'm personally meaner than cat shit.

I HATE angst.

(Thus, contributing to the meanness of FCA.)

It's so nice to come here & read where people are reasonable, not negative Nellie's etc. I knew the minute that blog came out yesterday the shit would hit the fan. The same people on the other boards that are usually negative were. Surprise! Surprise! I agree with playbiller that some of these fans really need to "cut the Clay umbilical cord" so to speak & walk away. All their angst & negativeness just becomes pervasive in the fandom. Its obvious the Clay THEY want is not going to happen-example- Mr. Rockstar Clay. Yes he can rock out when he wants to, but obviously that is not where he leans musically. But no, these fans will post over & over about how disappointed they are in him, the label- etc ad nauseum. Rant over!! I know I'm going to love this album & probably every song, & no I don't NEED to know how he connects to each song to enjoy it. I just know I love the hell out of him & always will!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Some of those characterizations of other boards, Thankful, aren't very kind--all seem to me to be based on stereotypes so I don't put much stock by them. I hope wherever this conversation goes, we can avoid making specific comments about specific boards.

I'm sorry that YSRN was hurt by what she read today. Her post hit me pretty hard. I think it's a very complicated situation. FCA is (IMO) always open to hear honest criticism about itself, but it is a group of individuals with different opinions, all of whom were just lumped together. You were expecting trout? An admin note saying don't pick on others? Like couchie said, this is FCA. Some people today were upset about all the angst on the boards, and they posted here knowing that FCA is a place you can come and express that without getting shut up or edited. For me, FCA has always been a place of refuge when the angst got out of hand, a place where I don't expect to see angst at those times when it is rampant on other boards, and a place to vent about angst or weird fan ideas/behaviors when people feel the need to do so. It doesn't mean those opinions are endorsed by the board, or that any group or individual is speaking for the board. I'm sorry that FCA has the reputation of being mean, and I don't find it to be mean myself, but my heart goes out to anyone who feels differently and is hurt.

I was not expecting trout here and I was not and am not expecting FCA to change. I was only voicing an opinion, which I am free to do here.

I've gotten more attention in the last 12 hours than I've received the entire time I've been posting here. I'll continue lurking because I do appreciate the intelligence of this board.

There were posts here that detailed how other boards were mean. I agreed with all of them. Every board is 'mean' in its own way. I feel that FCA, instead of being mean to individual posters, is mean to other boards.

I just edited myself, because I think I'm in a no-win situation. Some members here will never see how their posts could be considered mean to people who post at other boards or how feelings could be hurt.

So is this a recent music list by Clay? Does it mean we don't have to hate Kim Locke anymore? J/k

BWAH! It is dated April 1st.

Some members here will never see how their posts could be considered mean to people who post at other boards or how feelings could be hurt.

Sure, I can understand why some could get hurt feelings reading here. Happens when some of us leave here and go "there", too. Que sera, sera. Every board has a different tone, I just prefer this one.

I just edited myself, because I think I'm in a no-win situation. Some members here will never see how their posts could be considered mean to people who post at other boards or how feelings could be hurt.

You're not in a no win situation if you just want convo. I've actually enjoyed reading everyone's perspective. I wish you wouldn't have edited yourself. I certainly agreed with you that I'd heard the same things and the subject you brougth up is getting attention cuz..well it's all about us. heh. And I'm more than willing to examine myself.

I'll respond to the other part of this on my lunch break.

Some members here will never see how their posts could be considered mean to people who post at other boards or how feelings could be hurt.

Sure, I can understand why some could get hurt feelings reading here. Happens when some of us leave here and go "there", too. Que sera, sera.

Yup.

Couchie,

I edited myself because I feel like I'm just stirring the turd. I don't think FCA is a bad/mean board. I enjoy reading here and would like to participate more, but I don't feel like I'm one of the core members. I also can't log on at work and I'm always behind.

I do understand that FCA feels like I'm attacking them, and I'm not. I wouldn't have said anything if YSRN had not posted. I thought FCA might appreciate seeing how it is viewed by SOME people out there. Obviously, YSRN had her feelings hurt and some could not understand it.

KAndre looks up from designing her "Mean Girls of the FCA" logo, not coming to a Playboy any time soon...

Heavens to Betsy, no. I personally don't feel attacked, and frankly think just about anyone who posts enough is a "core" member....of course, I'm just waiting to become a "chairman" and then heads will roll!

Trust me, I have heard enough about my ranting and how I have hurt people's feelings from PMs and other sources. And, other people have hurt mine, but que sera. I just find it hypocritical to find somepeople namingthis a mean board when they complain publically about this board from an out of context clip brought over to them.

Some times I go to far, sometimes others do. It happens. When I go to far, I do like to apologize. I deleted my post yesterday because it was too bitchy. I don't want to be bitchy, I want to have fun.

th_070227_Kimmel_IdolsGoneWild.jpg