#30: Faith has conquered fear...on my way here!

ldyjocelyn

FCA Thread Title  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• The Very Handsome Sir Clay of Aiken
    • "If I hear the term 'radio-friendly' one more time, I'm going to scream"
    • I'm ridiculously in love with the man & that's all there is to it.
    • "That will be an extra $50 for the butt squeeze!"
    • A snippet of Clay beats the hell out of the whole damn thing of anyone else!
    • Slovenia...who would a thunk it? I love Slovenia.
    • And if you strip away the friendly sweaters and smooth hair and charming smile, there's a feral creature underneath waiting to BITE you.
    • We've climbed on Mr. Aiken's Wild Ride!!!! Only this time it's an A Ticket!!!!
    • "You're doing GREAT!"
    • Clay Aiken is my high.
    • Clay Aiken is more punk then any of these groups.
    • "I still don't understand why people like my ass, I'm sorry!"

Bringing this over from the CH. Looks like there's not a public link online?

Billboard

6 Questions with Clay Aiken

May 03, 2008

CHUCK TAYLOR

During its six previous seasons, TV juggernaut "American Idol" has launched countless music careers—but the caveat is maintaining staying power. Season-two runner-up Clay Aiken continues to trump the odds. His third RCA album, "On My Way Here," due May 6, follows his 2003 double-platinum debut, "Measure of a Man"; 2004's platinum "Merry Christmas With Love"; and 2006 gold covers album "A Thousand Different Ways." In May, he'll wrap a five-month Broadway stint in the Tony Award-lauded musical comedy "Spamalot."

On the new album, his first of original material since "Measure," Aiken worked with Grammy Award-winning producer Kipper (Sting, Chris Botti). The singer talks about the road ahead and his journey to this point.

You call "On My Way Here" a thematic reflection on life lessons, a sort of road map of your last five years. What do you hope listeners will take from the collection?

When [executive producer] Jaymes Foster and I came across the song "On My Way Here," written by OneRepublic's Ryan Tedder, I really connected to it lyrically. It sums up how the experiences we go through make us who we are. As I'm knocking on the door to 30—and it's knocking hard—this decade has been about figuring out who I am. That set the tone for the album; they're all about things I've learned or universal lessons.

Once we had that road map and knew what we were looking for, the songs started falling in our laps. In the past, I'd sing about dog food and sunshine, as long as it was catchy and had a great melody, so it's the first time I've paid close attention to lyrics. I'm not Alicia Keys or Norah Jones when it comes to artistic lyrics, but I like what these songs are saying—and they're still pretty.

Knowing that we probably weren't going to get radio made the process even easier, so we just made an album that is me—songs written for me or whose meaning I connected with, and songs that I sing well.

"The Real Me" was written by Natalie Grant, who comes from the Christian world but is popular at AC. Her songs tend to explore life's challenges and offer a positive spin.

We first looked at that song as one of four originals on the last album. The thing I love so much about "The Real Me" is that when I listened to it, I thought, "It's about God." Jaymes heard a romantic song. Other people think it's about their mom. Everyone is able to take their own message. Natalie was kind enough to change a little bit of the lyric so that it fits my life even better.

You've managed to achieve success, as you noted, without a lot of radio support. You have 32,000 friends on MySpace. What vehicles are you looking at to help get the word out, particularly in the digital frontier?

The record label surprised me by saying they think this record is radio-friendly. Maybe that came as a result of not trying so hard, but we don't count on it. Look, some people that come from "Idol" are meant for radio—Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Daughtry. I think they'd have been successful at some point without the show. I'm a TV star. That's where I came from, so that's where I look to spread the word. I do blog in places and we've got the Web site, but a lot of the digital thing is aimed at teenagers. TV is just as big as digital, and it's always been my best vehicle.

Will you tour again to support the record?

I haven't had two days off since October, so I'm just not going to worry about a tour right now. This time, we're going to let things sit, see how the album does and put it together when and if it's right.

"Spamalot" is pretty silly. Your public persona is not. Why did you choose to make your Broadway debut with this show? And are you funny?

That's pretty much the very reason. We had offers from other shows and I'd looked at doing Broadway for years, but I wanted something totally different. I was drawn to this because it was a way to branch out. And [director] Mike Nichols—who is so talented and another reason I wanted to do "Spamalot"—made it pretty clear to me at the start: "Clay is not funny. The script is funny." So I play it pretty dry and it seems to have worked. I've had a great time and worked with a lot of really talented people, who have become my family in New York.

You probably knew this was coming: Even though you're onstage at night, have you caught any of this season's "American Idol"?

I watched the season with Carrie Underwood, but I haven't seen a lot of the show since. Listen, I am emphatic that I will always be appreciative of "Idol"—it gave me this opportunity, I know that—but I kind of equate it to high school. Just because I went to high school doesn't mean I still go back to watch the team's football games.

Wow!! and that from Chuck Taylor. **applause**

On message! I'm tellin' ya!!!

I love this part especially:

We first looked at that song as one of four originals on the last album. The thing I love so much about "The Real Me" is that when I listened to it, I thought, "It's about God." Jaymes heard a romantic song. Other people think it's about their mom. Everyone is able to take their own message. Natalie was kind enough to change a little bit of the lyric so that it fits my life even better.

This is the perfect answer. It allows him to speak for himself, as well as allowing others their feelings. From the little bits I've heard so far, this whole cd is going to touch me in different ways - and probably only a few of those ways will be the same things that Clay feels. THAT is powerful stuff, y'all!

Sorry sweetie - I beg to differ with you....but you are hysterically funny! The script doesn't dictate those hilarious faces you make as the drunken guard or Brother Maynard.....

Awww Clay! Clay! Clay!

ETA: Congratulations on 1500 posts my dear friend from Canada!

But Clay *is* funny! Singing about dog food & sunshine? :cryingwlaughter: I just love him!

Glad you got the Playbill, ldyj! :)

Whoo Hooo Cindilu heee

Can somebody pm me and tell me what the real me is about. I doubt I'll hve time to listen to this interview until the weekend.

No need for a PM ;) ...cindilu already said

He feels it's about God

Yeah, got to say that kind of annoyed me. I was just one person - and apparently not one who anyone gives a shit about - but I had expressly stated that I didn't want to hear Clay's thoughts on the subject until after I had a chance to hear the song, but did that stop anyone from spoiling it?

Nooooooooo!

Of course, my post about that was also misinterpreted or exaggerated by some, so what should I expect. To clarify - I NEVER said I would deny myself anything or skip reading or listening to an interview. I don't want to be spoiled by the songs, nor Clay's thoughts on said songs UNTIL AFTER I HAVE HEARD THEM MYSELF. I can better related to the songs PERSONALLY if I don't have Clay's words running through my head. While I certainly had an idea of what was said in the interview I didn't want to KNOW yet. I had hoped others would respect that.

Silly me.

So now when I do listen to the song I will have to fight that from happening and since TO ME that is a very touchy subject, it may make it more difficult to get that same rush of joy that usually accompanies hearing a new song from Clay.

:glare:

On another subject (but not the subject of being at work still even thought its 7:30pm....), I had a thought. Might we start a thread where the lyrics could be posted in case there isn't a lyrics sheet with the CD??? I love lyrics and since Clay said this was a lyrics oriented CD, I think it would be neat to have them.

*waves* to Iseeme :F_05BL17blowkiss: Thanks (and belated welcome)!!!

ldyj, I don't see that post on the CH? Hee- I swiped it for the Clayboard so I hope it's legit!

It's cool...from the CH...from kmh 135...

walkiki found the billboard interview (in Billboard.biz - you need a membership to view) and put it in the CNN thread. I thought I'd bring it to main...

*waves* to Iseeme :F_05BL17blowkiss: Thanks (and belated welcome)!!!

ldyj, I don't see that post on the CH? Hee- I swiped it for the Clayboard so I hope it's legit!

It's cool...from the CH...from kmh 135...

walkiki found the billboard interview (in Billboard.biz - you need a membership to view) and put it in the CNN thread. I thought I'd bring it to main...

Thank you, laughn

While I admire the people who have the determination NOT to listen to snippets, read lyrics, etc. etc. I think it's going to be kind of hard to avoid any of that if you're on a Clay fan board. We're all very excited and stuff slips out. It just happens.

I, on the other hand, am weak! weak! weak! and I want to hear every little thing. Nothing is going to ruin this CD for me. Nothing. And, quite frankly, I am capable of interpreting the music as it suits me or my life regardless of what Clay says. When I heard TRM I didn't get his interpretation at all.....nosirreeebob. Not even a titch.

Whoo Hooo Cindilu heee

Can somebody pm me and tell me what the real me is about. I doubt I'll hve time to listen to this interview until the weekend.

No need for a PM ;) ...cindilu already said

He feels it's about God

I May be splitting hairs here...but Clay didn't say this is about God. He said for him, he is singing it TO his God. (I wrote this before I read the chuck taylor interview and refers to the billy bush interview...but in the end I thinki make the same point Clay did in his answer to Chuck Taylor) Maybe its because he hasn't found that person that he can say would accept him unconditionally. I saw the you tube of the composer and she was explaining this song. Its about realizing that as a public figure or even for everyone, there is a pressure to be perfect and to even hide who you really are, but The Real Me is sang to a person who can accept the real you...warts and all. To some it may be a significant other, it could be to a friend, a lover, a soul mate...to some people or Christians, like Clay, that would be God who they believe would love them even if they are sinners. So this can really apply to everyone.

Just to clarify - IMO the entire point of Billy's interview was to ask the question. I don't think BB gives a flying crap about the music, he just wanted to get the mention in. Mission accomplished. Like Clay said, I knew exactly where BB was going, too.

And I will prolly get a call from some in my family asking me if I know that Clay came out.

I don;t know or haven;t watched Billy Bush enough to have an opinion on whether he is pond scum or not...but I just take that interview at face value. I truly enjoyed it cos he Showed Clay a lot of respect. Gave the CD lots of props and it was interesting enough for other outlets to pick up...thus giving Clay more promo opportunites. I am happy that it seems he actually listened to the whole CD...and that he paid attention to the words of the song enough to be curious as to how Clay connected to the song. I don't think it is really so far fetched to wonder how personal The Real Me is. ITA with Aikim and cindi that this whole theme would naturally make people curious. Most interviewers would make sure to ask how truly personal the words are to him. Now the fact that US magazine would use such a tantalizing and misleading headline is low and frustrating but that comes with the territory. The public is fascinated by celebrities because we do like to read about the lives behind the scene. It happens to everyone...it happens with Angelina who gets asked about Brad or any other personal stuff even if she is talking about charity work...it happens to all public figures. I guess my point is...we just better get used to it. Clay seems to be ready for it and he knows how to handle these questions with humor and patience.

Cindilu Great to see you back!

Do you honestly think that Clay could have a song on his CD titled "The Real Me" and not have questions asked? I think it was very brave of him to not only include the song, but to put together a whole CD revolving around the last 5 years in his life. No matter how much he says he wants people to interpret the songs with regards to their own lives, he knows that people are going to speculate on his life and what the songs mean to him. Like I said, very brave of him to open himself up to speculation again and to allow himself to be so vulnerable.

I admire him so much!

Kim

WORD

The thing about Clay that makes it great is that he does not let any of this affect how he interacts with "Gay" people and causes, as the public percieves it. He has no problem working hard tro raise money for Broadway Cares (and I do believe he is the hardest working guy thiere is with that fund raising can't believe he does all that signing and all that standing for pictures in addition to the show and CD promo).

He does not turn his back on friends like many macho guys have in the past. his friends are his friends, no matter what. i.e. I don't believe he is a hero for this, just a consistant and good guy who has accepted his crosses to bear in life. We all have issues the pervade our lives and follow us around.

My honest opinion and I know some may disagree, but I think there are many in the fandom who subscribe to the "guilt by association" theory...If Clay has friends that are gay or associates with people that are gay, than therefore he must be gay...I definately get a sense of veiled homophobia in the fandom and I think those who are so vocal about Clay once and for all defining his sexuality is more about their own need for validation and less about convincing the press, etc.

Kim

ITA

CG its interesting that you do not want to hear how he interprets these songs...I got the impression he also does not want to say it because he does want people to find their own meaning and connect to these songs in personal ways. But I suspect this is going to be a common theme to these interviews.

the other thing I got from that interview is EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE gah the real me sounds great!!! I am totally sold to it now...hee

I am so happy for those NYC bound...have fun and don;t forget about us. Hope you guys give us reports of all the fun you are having!!!

Ansa...

"The Real Me" was written by Natalie Grant, who comes from the Christian world but is popular at AC. Her songs tend to explore life's challenges and offer a positive spin.

I may have been paraphrasing when I posted, but this is a direct quote from Clay.

But as I already posted, he wants people to take their own message away. And he gives examples of how people around him have interpreted it. Like I said, to me that's a powerful thing.

CG... HUGS! Sorry someone slipped. It's gonna happen in all the excitement so I'm glad for you that QVC is Monday! Then only one more week! Whooo hooo!

Yeah, got to say that kind of annoyed me. I was just one person - and apparently not one who anyone gives a shit about - but I had expressly stated that I didn't want to hear Clay's thoughts on the subject until after I had a chance to hear the song, but did that stop anyone from spoiling it?

Nooooooooo!

You know, if you feel that strongly about not being spoiled, you really are going to have to stay completely off the boards (not just this one, either) until after you hear it for yourself on May 6th. This is a time of EEEEEEEEEing and excitement, of new info, interviews and appearances, all based on the new songs. There are going to be spoilers all over the place. Of course, people can express their opinions, and are free to like or dislike anything about the album. However, you can`t expect that people are going to muzzle themselves because you don`t want to know. I don`t think that is a fair thing to ask fans to do on a public message board.

I'm just not sure how Clay can produce a CD with the theme of 'my journey over the last five years', include many love songs (both gained and lost) and then we imagine that his 'personal' life won't come up in interviews. Doesn't it have to, by definition? It's part of the journey. The whole CD is personal.

I simply can't continue to get bent every time this stuff comes up. I am trying very hard to follow his example. Absorb and enjoy the good (and there is plenty of good in that interview) and ignore the rest. There's just too much good, and it just feels different all around this time. I believe!

I'm with you cindilu2. This theme does invite questions about his life and the meaning behind his song choices. Some may interpret his answers in different ways, but I think that overall, the good will outweigh the bad.

I definately get a sense of veiled homophobia in the fandom and I think those who are so vocal about Clay once and for all defining his sexuality is more about their own need for validation and less about convincing the press, etc.

I sense that as well, aikim.

Ansa...

I may have been paraphrasing when I posted, but this is a direct quote from Clay.

But as I already posted, he wants people to take their own message away. And he gives examples of how people around him have interpreted it. Like I said, to me that's a powerful thing.

I did my past post after listening to the Billy Bush interview and before I read the chuck taylor interview...in the end I do think The Real Me was meant to be very neutral and it really is up to each person where they get this kind of understanding, acceptance and unconditional love that the song talks about. I was also reacting to the one line that Muski quoted as an answer to Couchie's question of what TRM is about that this is about God cos it is really not that simple. I am also reading backwards so I haven't seen your full post...its possible you said the same thing I did... :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Ansa...

I did my past post after listening to the Billy Bush interview and before I read the chuck taylor interview...in the end I do think The Real Me was meant to be very neutral and it really is up to each person where they get this kind of understanding, acceptance and unconditional love that the song talks about. I was also reacting to the one line that Muski quoted as an answer to Couchie's question of what TRM is about that this is about God cos it is really not that simple. I am also reading backwards so I haven't seen your full post...its possible you said the same thing I did... :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Not to beat a dead horse, but it really is that simple. What muski quoted was me saying that Clay said 'he feels the song is about God. To him, that's what the song is about - there is no ambivilance in his words. But he doesn't say that's what it means (or should mean) to anyone else. In fact he encourages people to seek their own meanings not just in this song, but the whole CD. Awesome!

I found this part very interesting...

You've managed to achieve success, as you noted, without a lot of radio support. You have 32,000 friends on MySpace. What vehicles are you looking at to help get the word out, particularly in the digital frontier?

The record label surprised me by saying they think this record is radio-friendly. Maybe that came as a result of not trying so hard, but we don't count on it. Look, some people that come from "Idol" are meant for radio—Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Daughtry. I think they'd have been successful at some point without the show. I'm a TV star. That's where I came from, so that's where I look to spread the word. I do blog in places and we've got the Web site, but a lot of the digital thing is aimed at teenagers. TV is just as big as digital, and it's always been my best vehicle.

I think this means that the label is willing to try this out in radio. I hear that there seem to be some indications that the release to radio will have some label support. How much the label is willing to push this I think will depend on the 1st few weeks sale. I think if they see the sales as strong so it will be worth it to give this full support. I hope he gets enough push to have second and third single with some real music video.

From CH:

RockOnTV

Show: Entertainment Tonight

Episode: (#6950) - 2008/05/02

Network: (SYN) Syndicated

Date: Friday - May 2, 2008

Time: 7/6c PM

Duration: 0:30

May 30. Mark your calendars - that's the day the "Sex and the City" movie finally lands in theaters. The rumors have been flying (Does Carrie marry Big? Does a main character die?) ... tonight, ET gets the inside scoop from the ladies of the much anticipated flick! Also: Paula Abdul's got a secret message for a recent "Idol" cast-off ... and ET's in the studio as Clay Aiken lays tracks for his latest album, in stores next Tuesday.

--------------------------

Show: Jimmy Kimmel Live

Episode: 2008/05/16

Network: (ABC) ABC Television

Date: Saturday - May 17, 2008

Time: 12:05/11:05c AM

Duration: 1:00

About: Jimmy Kimmel Live: 2008/05/16

TV/radio host Ryan Seacrest; musician Clay Aiken; musical guest Kate Nash.

Know something? This little pee pee incident is my fault. I probably should have made my silly comment a PM to CG, but I DID attempt to make my silliness clear by using silly emoticons...i.e.

CG--You can listen to the interview, but then stop listening when they start to play OMWH...not only do they also play the first part of The Real Me, Clay then talks about that song and you won't like what he says.

:whistling-1:

Oh dear...look at the time! I really must get to work... :lilredani:

I knew CG would know what I was referring to and her response let me know she 'got it'.

OH SHIT!!!! If its what I think it is I will NEVER listen cause then it will cloud my ability to listen to the words objectively. I won't be able to get out of my head what he said!

Maybe AFTER I listen to the song I can listen to what he said about it - or not!

I chuckled and went on with my business. Then cindilu makes a re-entrance with:

I wondered what it might take for me to post again. I guess this interview is it

WTF?

<snip>

As for his thoughts on The Real Me... well he specifically said he didn't really want to give his reasons for/relationships with the songs so that other could interpret them for themselves. That each person could relate to them in their way. He gave his perspective on the song. He feels it's about God. If people choose to deprive themselves not only of enjoying it, but of ever listening to him sing it because of that perspective? That, I don't understand. But I don't need to, as it isn't me.

Never mind that the 'cat is out of the bag' with the "He feels it's about God." sentence, but the next two sentences reflect a misunderstanding of CG's post anyway. Which I tried to point out here:

cindilu, just to clarify from MY perspective...I didn't gather that anyone is suggesting that they are not going to listen to the SONG here...just that they'd rather not hear Clay say what the words mean to him before she hears the song.

Interesting thing, this. I love to conjecture and project what Clay 'means' by choosing to sing a song, by singing a song the way he does, by singing it when he does, etc....but he's right. For me, it's better NOT to hear him say what the song means to him in some ways...because then the song is personal to ME without any filters...

Whatever. The VOX...that's the bottom line.

So the defense/prosecution rests its case ^_^ It does tick me off a bit that a little lighthearted jab at a buddy had to get a reaction from some that led to such harsh words back and forth; however, for being in any way responsible for lighting a match and igniting unpleasant feelings, I apologize. I'm just going to have to take cindilu's advice, I guess:

I simply can't continue to get bent every time this stuff comes up. I am trying very hard to follow his example. Absorb and enjoy the good <snip> and ignore the rest. There's just too much good, <snip>

muski closes laptop and opens iPod to listen to MOAM--the song.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee walking out the door..whoo whoo.

Ooooooooooo!!! You're gonna have FUN!!! :clap:

Couchie... have fun!!! Throw him a kiss for me, please!

Ryan and Clay on Kimmel together... ummm... I wonder what the hey Kimmel and Clay have cooked up. I think Ryan will be ok with Clay cause he's always ok to his face, just not behind his back.

If it's really funny and gets Clay lots of positive publicity, then I will forgive him for changing Clay's night and making me watch it from home instead of from the studio... dang him! :cry4:

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee walking out the door..whoo whoo.

:F_05BL17blowkiss: Couchie, I hope you have a wonderful time! You'll be missed.

Have a ball!!!!!!!!!! Check in when you can, but mostly just have a great time!