#31: The Very Handsome Sir Clay of Aiken

ldyjocelyn

FCA Thread Title Poll  

38 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• The man with the titanium balls - and the voice to back them up!
    • OMG, chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills
    • They are seeing what WE see ? a brilliant, intelligent, and genuinely funny and lovely man.
    • Clay Aiken, I love your mad talented, tender-hearted, freakin' Broadway star, soul!
    • I'm totally jonesing for Clay Aiken's voice right now. God! I need to be sedated.
    • I could listen to that Raleigh son rattle on all day long. He makes me smile.
    • The whole damn thing was perfect!

It's always difficult for me to post in the AM (even though I'm often reading) as I have such limited time.....but this was SUCH a great discussion last night, I just had to get two bits in!

I had tons of things "quoted"; but in the end, it all came down to this.....kandre.....you are my hero!! :clap:

The only other thing I wanted to be sure to add is a response to this note...

I still claim that the north east has the most people in close proximity and makes touring here more feasible

Good Lord Playbiller - do you know what the population of the San Francisco Bay Area is?????

I don't know if you have the most people in close proximity as much as the most concerts in close proximity.

There was a time when I took it personally - but now, I'm numb. There's nothing I can do to change it. But I swear, if he does another North Eastern centric tour again - I'm going to be pissed!!!! That is NOT the way to gain new fans. It's just the same ol' same ol' going to eleventeen concerts!

I see jmh123 has already clarified your misconception about population, and I swear, iseeme, I'm not picking on you, it's just that your comment brought up something that a lot of the fandom expresses.

So....I have to say, for once and for all......Clay does not pick where his tours go!!!!

We KNOW that....it's been explained over and over and over again how a tour works, by those who know; but this type of sentiment keeps being expressed every time Clay tours.

The solution? Keep in touch with YOUR local venues, your local promoters, and your local fans in a positive, enthusiastic and NOT over the top way...and maybe he will receive an offer he is able to accept from them!

(/end rant)...sorry!! Hot button for me, obviously....FYI, we are working on a venue in my area and hope to see Clay there someday.

ETA: and, of course, while I was posting my sentiments that noone cares about :lol: some of the most BEAUTIFUL pictures known to man crop up! GAHHHHH!!!!!!

.....and OMG!!!

But :giggle: I do think now that there is no Clannah...because of the way he's walking with her....no hand behind her back, no cuddle-up. Oh well.....sigh....signed, shipper extraordinaire.

Love the BC pictures! Are there any larger versions?

Love the countdown! And our little widget up there, you realize it has a dual purpose, right? How long until we can get OMWH in our hot little hands....and how long until your CITH recommendations are due. :imgtongue: :F_05BL17blowkiss:

From CV via CH about last night's Spam:

Talking to bweber and he did the stage door. Jeans and a green college hoodie. Sandals on. On curtain call he was holding his pants up and had two odd socks on. He had the same odd socks on with his sandals. Not very many people at stage door.

It wasn't sold out tonight. About 75% full. Quietish. Clay seemed tired but only just us would probably notice. He wasn't as hyper.

ETA from MLK973 at CH:

Reporting in for flyinpenguin and fantotheend and myself now that we are back home. We had a great day in NYC today. We read about the EB this morning and called the Minskoff theater and found out that there were still mezzanine tickets available. We ran around, got ready, and headed to the city early to get to the boxoffice by 12:30. We managed to get seats in the center mezzanine row H but with binoculars got some pretty good views. For $20 we got a 3 hour show (no intermission) filled with an assortment of skits, songs, and jokes.

To start with the opening speaker said that it was amazing that reality tv stars could be made into broadway stars overnight. That got a big chuckle from the audience.

Clay and Hannah were fabulous as you already know. He looked handsome and classy. They did a straight rendition of The Prayer with the comic relief of the dancing and skating nun. Of course we barely saw the nun as we watched that gorgeous couple through our binoculars. Clay gazed at Hannah throughout the song. It was powerful and they seemed evenly matched. When we saw Hannah at the stage door after tonight's Spamalot she commented that she enjoyed singing in her real voice rather than her show voice. She has beautiful tone and power. She looked beautiful and while tall she did not overshadow Clay in anyway. While some of the other presentations went for shock value and bawdiness, Clay and Hannah stood out as pure class.

Of course, we would not have objected if Clay had decided to perform with the "Naked Boys" even though they only showed their naked rear ends (asses for those who need a more graphic description). That would have been a nice treat but was not to be.

After the show we saw Clay and Hannah leave with Jermone and head back to the Shubert just around the corner. Clay had his arm around Hannah in a protective and gentlemanly way as they made their way through the crowd.

The Spam show tonight was excellent (but you knew it would be). We got Clay smelling the flowers on his spear but no braiding. Anthony Holds was in for Bevidere and was quite good. Knights of Ni did the "Baby Got Back" song.

Smallish crowd of about 50-60 at the stage door when Clay came out and seemed happy and looked mighty fine. We got autographs from Tom, David Hibbard, Rick, and Hannah. All were really friendly and happy to stop and chat. Hannah confirmed that June 15 is her last show.

After sleeping on my original answer last night, plus reading some really good responses this morning...I think I'm going to say this is a terribly complex issue, and there are NO easy answers.

muski, I'm one of the first to reply to your original post, and I'm the one who brought up the middle aged fan comment -- so don't worry about it, I get some of the blame for that. But I thought you brought up an interesting point with one of your responses. You said you would find it just as weird if it had been a 16 year old on the phone. I hear ya on that, and that's where I might need to take back a bit of my response on the caller from QVC. And yet...if there HAD been that 16 year old on the phone, and he/she said that -- I'm pretty positive there would be dancing in the aisle from some in the fandom. "YAY!!! A younger fan speaks! See, it's not ALL middle-aged women!!!" And that behavior on some boards would be making me roll my eyes as well. I felt the same last year during the Christmas tour when almost always the first question asked to the cellcerter was "how many men there?"

I guess what it all boils down to me is this: a fan is a fan is a fan. It's really taken me 5 years to come to this realization actually. I used to be totally embarrassed by people with blinky lights on their heads, or having everything on their person with a picture of Clay on it (shirt, shoes, purse, etc.). Now, that seems tame by comparison. Anyway, everyone chooses the kind of fan they will be. I may not like it when some go OTT with their fandom (and everyone's version of OTT is certainly different -- just look at all the discussions on the McVargas girls, or Ethel), but I'm trying my best to tolerate them. And that's all I can really do -- just as I think Clay probably does with some of the more OTT (but mostly harmless) ones. (Anyone who threatens though -- different story....) Heck, as long as they are spending money on Clay...

muski, you also asked about why OMWH was picked as a single. I've got a couple of theories about that (I've been in the same discussions with a few friends of mine about this). The most obvious reason for me is the Ryan Tedder connection. DJ's and PD's for radio stations tend to glom onto name recognition factors like that. Also -- who is "they" who picked the single? RCA, sure -- but I would venture a very strong guess that Clay helped with that choice. I think he loves the song, and I think he likes that it sets the lyrical theme to the entire album. Finally, I think there's a very fine line with the idea of throwing out a song that people will say "THAT'S Clay Aiken?" Some will be intrigued -- and some will be turned off. Hard to judge really.

OK, I've got an interesting day at work today. Hopefully I'll be around later....

This is why this topic is very interesting yet posts a huge conundrum with me. As much as I agreed with Muski...I also agreed with a lot of points KAndre made.

What I agree with Muski about...is that there is a very strong perception out there that Clay Aiken basically appeals to a certain demographic and a lot of the shots of the audience and the first front row of the concerts do reinforce that picture. But at this point I say...it is what it is and I do believe that this developed because of two things...the type of music Clay gravitates to and the fact that in the past 5 years TC did court this more mature audience first with the release of Solitaire as a single...with the classic style of MCWL then finally with ATDW. I do think Clay went this route because he figures this is the path of least resistance since he is not willing to play the celebrity fame game of partying, wearing the cool clothes, going out with the cool people or going for a a sexier and more current sound that would be more radio friendly.

I do agree with KAndre that most artist have this core fans that they get to know and get to see in every concert. But I think that fact wouldn;t be as disturbing if there is a large number of casual fans or just people that are open to trying out your music and that hard core fans becomes just a very vocal minority. However, it is a fact that Clay's audience is getting smaller not bigger...so I do think it would be good if he can start bringing music that would have a more mainstream appeal. From the snippet we heard...I do believe this CD is his way of appealing to a more broader audience while still staying true to his own musical style.

Now Muski was wondering why they would go with OMWH when it is typical Clay. I am not part of TC so I can only speculate. But I suspect they wanted to start with something that will appeal to the existing fanbase to try and establish a strong opening for the CD. I also think its because this is an AC radio friendly song written by a very hot young composer so it had a big chance to penetrate the radio audience. I think Clay is basically not a risk taker... I think he wants a sure thing first.

Now the second single will tell the tale. If he goes with something like SAU or TRM...then I think they are satisfied with going for the older market. But if they follow up with one of the faster songs and try to penetrate Hot AC...then Clay is definitely reaching to the 20 to 30 market. This is my theory of why no Kimmel right now. Kimmels audience I believe is younger than Leno and its possible he is reserving his Kimmel performance for his next single.That will go with the other shows for the fall.

I also think the reason why they are not touring this summer is that they need to build up his audience with these new songs so that it will be more possible for him to cover the whole of North America. Also the fact that he needs a break...hee

I generally have no problems with fans that go for multiple times and that go for the front row and are just having fun with Clay and with their friends...I don;t have problem with fans acting like fans...hardcore or even OTT. What disturbs me at times are fans who seem to think and who act like getting Clay to the next level of superstardom is their jobs. Its when fans believe it is up to us to get Clay some buzz... or that they should monitor every friggin thing that PR does and act like supervisors. I just feel it takes away the fun of the whole journey when fans try to take over the wheel. I prefer to leave the driving to Clay and TC...I will simply enjoy the highs, lows the company of fellow fans and the lovely scenery along the way.

oh its Tyra today...EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE unfortunately I only get it at 11 am...we probably will have caps by then. But I will still report on it when I see it.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I loved that Tyra clip!!!

Tyra said clay is one of her very best friend in the world...wow...they sure hit it off after that show. I love how he just makes these people his good friends like Kimmel, Rosie, Tyra, Diane...that is a testament of what kind of person he is...

oh and its too cute to see him teasing Tyra...Oh I will be totally surprised if he does not go on Tyra next season...

EEEEEEEEEEEEEE

OMG I love this girl!!! her reaction is priceless and she was sooo cute!!! Tyra was so sweet to her and BWAH...when Clay brought them to the wig room...they were looking at LOTL wig and Tyra starts to pretend sing and Clay looks at her in mock awe and says...you have a second calling you can be LOTL!...tyra goes...yeah and I have the boobs for it...BWAH!!!!

I love this appearance...this is what you call soft sell..no mention of the CD...but it just makes people more aware of him..

Verra verra nice!!!

There are large population areas in the West and they are all within a day's drive of each other or less. Other Artists manage to play here. I live in Phoenix, which is the 6th largest city in the Country. Kelly Clarkson has been here 5 times in the last 2 or 3 years. Daugherty has been here 3 times. I am sure if Clay told his Tour Company he wanted to do a Nationwide Tour, they would schedule it. I think it has been easier just to book in the same areas for every tour. Now I could understand better if it wasn't every single tour. I think they don't really plan tours, but just accept whatever invitations they recieve that works logistically.

The problem is that since he isn't on the radio and doesn't tour out here, most people feel like he has dropped off the map. Most people out hear have no idea about Spamalot. When I went to the JNT 05 and talked to fans who wern't Internet Fans, they had no idea he had done the NAT or the JBT. People who know I am a big fan ask me all the time, "What ever happened to Clay Aiken?" Lots of people don't watch the morning shows because they are at work, and don't watch the nighttime shows...especially Kimmel because it is so late. And they definately don't keep up with ET. Usually the only news they hear about Clay are the Gossip stuff. Although they do know about Spamalot now because of the coverage on AI.

Oh he is played on the radio here at Christmas and I do hear from people what a great distinctive voice he has. He won't get played here for his Pop Songs unless it is a hit. Which is better than living in Chicago where they won't play him at all. What the radio stations are playing here has really changed since MOAM came out. Our Top 40 Station, at the time, played nothing but Rap and Hip-Hop....now they play probably more Pop Music.

EEEEEE!! Off to watch Tyra Clack!

If anyone out there loves me can you please make me a new avator for lion king picture number 8? heee They look great.

Getting a slow start this morning. I couldn't live in the east because the west coast pacific basketball games start at 10:30. So now I wonder if ESPN really has an east coast bias or if they are just asleep when the games come on. :cryingwlaughter: My friend that I am staying with fell asleep but woke up to go to the bathroom as I was getting in bed...and the next thing you know we're talking about fandoms,hersand mind. And then the next thing you know, she's getting out of bed and putting on MoaM. BWAH. Yep she's over him alight. We listened to MoaM at 2:00am this morning. :cryingwlaughter:

I think Ansa and ldyj have fair points - but I still see the overly invested in Clay's career as a "oh dear god will they EVER shut up" teensy minority - hell, 90% of the online members of the majority of the boards don't even post.

As for the shrinking of his audience - I see the size approaching a natural level after the overheated atmosphere of AI2. The people who were only interested in the latest fad - the fans who are actually fans of AI as opposed to Clay - the fans who only liked "Invisible" - have fallen away, and I think he has a good size natural core fandom (as opposed to the hardcore fandom) - the ones that may not post anywhere, don't read reviews, catch him when they can, but if they see his name will pay attention - you know, the normal people who actually buy what, 95% of his CDs? Who probably won't see him live, but if they do, pay much less attention to the OTT fans because they know perfectly well that they don't represent them?

Maybe it because of my background as a black woman, but the idea of "cringing" about something someone else does because of ONE thing I have in common with them? I don't think so. Hell, I don't "cringe" at things my relatives do, much less whatever the hell some 60 year old bleached blond from Eugene on her 3rd husband who thinks Rush Limbaugh is da BOMB or some 19 year old Jersey girl who just KNOWS Obama is the second coming and she will be the next Obama girl and she's pulled off her shirt to prove it or some 38 year old dude who pretending to do this just for his wife and thinks reading anything but Nietzche is a waste of time and golf is the pinnacle of sport or some 27 year old sistah who only listens to Clay and Master Z and has made up her very own pseudo African name and counts every single hit to her YouTube video. For many in the fandom, the only thing they and I have in common are liking Clay and tits.

It's not that I see Clay as a niche artist anymore than any other out there - but in general, I think the days when an artists commanded just a broad swath the consumer population is gone. Especially a broad swath that buys CDs. You know, I bet there are a huge number of fans who have never purchased a Clay CD or download - but own copies of at least some of his stuff anyway. The industry is in transition - and keeping track of the actual "audience" is difficult.

KAndre:

For many in the fandom, the only thing they and I have in common are liking Clay and tits.

I vote we change the thread title to this, right now!!!

Bwah!!! (and Amen)

00lsee, you know perfectly well I have enough to keep myself entertained for days! Ha!

Though yours are vera, vera nice!

It says so MUCH about the board about the immediate reaction to my post!

I love you people! And your various body parts!

The problem is that since he isn't on the radio and doesn't tour out here, most people feel like he has dropped off the map. Most people out hear have no idea about Spamalot. When I went to the JNT 05 and talked to fans who wern't Internet Fans, they had no idea he had done the NAT or the JBT. People who know I am a big fan ask me all the time, "What ever happened to Clay Aiken?" Lots of people don't watch the morning shows because they are at work, and don't watch the nighttime shows...especially Kimmel because it is so late. And they definately don't keep up with ET. Usually the only news they hear about Clay are the Gossip stuff. Although they do know about Spamalot now because of the coverage on AI.

Maybe I'm weird, but I personally don't think this is such a big deal. Just because Clay is a big part of my world doesn't mean that more people around me should be following his career moves. The "casual" fans will come to see him will come to see him when he has a product to push, and when the logistics are right. If the logistics are right for him to tour in the west, he'll do so.

KAndre you (and your tits) rock my world. *g*

There are large population areas in the West and they are all within a day's drive of each other or less. Other Artists manage to play here. I live in Phoenix, which is the 6th largest city in the Country. Kelly Clarkson has been here 5 times in the last 2 or 3 years. Daugherty has been here 3 times. I am sure if Clay told his Tour Company he wanted to do a Nationwide Tour, they would schedule it. I think it has been easier just to book in the same areas for every tour. Now I could understand better if it wasn't every single tour. I think they don't really plan tours, but just accept whatever invitations they recieve that works logistically.

It is not as simple as that...oh yeah ultimately he is in charge but at what cost? Your examples of Kelly and Daughtry are not comparable because they have tons of radio play and so they are able to attract people nationwide. Kelly sold enough albums and became big enough to have a sponsor for her tour...so the cost was very minimal to her. When clay came off of AI and his first Christmas concert, he was big enough to get sponsors so the cost was not prohibitive. Also nationwide coverage of a tour is easier if you have a big touring company that takes care of everything like during IT. But those touring companies go for artist with big hits. If Clay get a big hit or even a moderate hit with this CD maybe he can get another touring company to get interested but that hasn't been the case with his other concerts.

Clay is in this strange situation...that he is not bankable enough for sponsors or touring companies to take a chance on but he is too big for small venues too so he cannot have a national tour like Taylor Hicks does and go to small venues. Like with ATDW...the type of music needed an orchestra...but its too expensive to travel with one so they had to wait for invitations.

At this point I think its better for Clay to go out and tour even if the coverage is small rather than sit around and wait when it is feasible. But at this point...we don't know what will happen with the next tour. I'm sure if they can cover a bigger area they will.

Okay - first of all - I said in my post that I KNOW Clay doesn't pick where he tours!!! So I didn't need the capital letters telling me that again! And it's easy for y'all - or most of you anyway - to remind me of the population in the Northeast. But look at that map - there's ALOT in the SF Bay Area - which was my point. And I honestly don't care what your rationalization is about touring the Northeast - it's just plain ridiculous that he can only get out here once in 3 years while he's been to the same venues just about every year (summer and Christmas so sometimes twice in the same year) for the same fans. I will not change my position on that no matter how much logic you throw at me. I live on a fixed income. It cost me well over a thousand dollars to see Spamalot. I'm happy as hell he isn't touring this summer because I couldn't afford another trip to the damn Northeast. It always happens this way when this subject comes up - the people that get to see him all the time come out blazing with the whys and the wherefores. I suggest if he was only in the West for every tour you'd feel the same way I do.

Now - good morning everybody!

I think he picked OMWH as his first single because of the Ryan Tedder connection and the attention that would get! Ryan is writing songs for some of the top people in the business and now Clay is in that group! It's also something you would expect him to sing! But after listening to the other songs on QVC, I don't think OMWH is going to be my favorite song.

On the subject of growing his fanbase - HELLLOOOOOO......that's what you have to do to sell more CDs and more concert tickets! But I vehemently agree that it's not "our" job to do that and it irritates the snot out of me to read other boards criticism of the promo he's getting for this CD, the shows he's NOT on (maybe Oprah just doesn't "get" Clay!) and the timing of everything. It's Clay and his team's job to do that - if he wants to - by appearances, tours and the music he puts out! It would be most difficult for me to believe that Clay doesn't want more of a fanbase. He could have delayed the release of this CD and left more time between Spam and promo. But- for whatever his reason was - he didn't! I think he's had an integral hand in the orchestration of this promo and he's happy with it. I also agree that it's probably very well planned to see how the CD does before booking venues (in the Northeast :cryingwlaughter: ) for the tour!!! (hell, if you can't laugh at yourself who can!)

OTT behavior in fans......like I said, one person's definition of OTT probably isn't the same as others. But like anything else in life - there are parameters of acceptable behavior. I described an incident at the skating show....it was embarassing to me. Probably to someone else they would think those women were just having fun!

Oh geez. Just watched the Tyra clip (after a freakishly SLOOOOOOW download). That is the CUTEST THING EVAH! The girl was sufficiently freaked out, I would say. Clay was adorable. Tyra was adorable. And I loved his giggle after Tyra saying that she had the boobs to play the LOTL. (What is it with Clay and breasts in conversations today? *g*)

I need to watch that a few more times.

:huh: I interrupt this topic of conversation only to announce that I have finally & completely lost the rest of my mind....

And that I look forward to meeting as many of you as possible this weekend in NYC!!! :nana:

Well Iseeme...I am from Canada, I do believe FromClaygary is also in Canada...I only saw Clay once in Toronto during the JBT. I did see him in SoCal last summer...went for the 4 shows with Couchie...but I had to pay 900 bucks for my round trip ticket. Was not able to see Spamalot cos its cost was prohibitive too.

I know this can be a very emotional topic and I understand that people can;t help feeling frustrated about not being able to see Clay...but when you feel bad about your chances to see him being in NoCal...just know that there are people in worse situations.

YAY annabear...have a great time!!!

Well Iseeme...

I know this can be a very emotional topic and I understand that people can;t help feeling frustrated about not being able to see Clay...but when you feel bad about your chances to see him being in NoCal...just know that there are people in worse situations.

Yup - that's why I included Canada in my post!!!! And I had to go to Toronto to see him in JBT!!!! I will shut up about this now though because those that can see him all the time really do not understand how the rest of us feel! I guess when I planned my retirement I should have included Clay in my "planned expenses!"

Annabear - I hope you find your mind!!! It helps to have one when using the New York subways! :imgtongue:

I'm being good and not downloading Tyra. It comes on here at 1:00 and I'm waiting.....

Welcome to the darkside, annabear/ I hope no one got you to over extend and this will be a memory of a life time.darkside_cookies.gif

. Besides Clay not determining where he goes (i.e. not playing NC last year!), there are physical limitation and the venues have to be willing to pay for Clay, cough up enough money to make the show affordable, Clay does not tour to lose money.

I still claim that the north east has the most people in close proximity and makes touring here more feasible

Good Lord Playbiller - do you know what the population of the San Francisco Bay Area is?????

I don't know if you have the most people in close proximity as much as the most concerts in close proximity.

There was a time when I took it personally - but now, I'm numb. There's nothing I can do to change it. But I swear, if he does another North Eastern centric tour again - I'm going to be pissed!!!! That is NOT the way to gain new fans. It's just the same ol' same ol' going to eleventeen concerts!

Oh he is played on the radio here at Christmas and I do hear from people what a great distinctive voice he has. He won't get played here for his Pop Songs unless it is a hit. Which is better than living in Chicago where they won't play him at all. What the radio stations are playing here has really changed since MOAM came out. Our Top 40 Station, at the time, played nothing but Rap and Hip-Hop....now they play probably more Pop Music.

EEEEEE!! Off to watch Tyra Clack!

I know damn well how the population of the US breaks down, I have posted the demgraphic chrat more than once . It is not only that my state has so many people, they live so close together and you can't drive too many places and be alone. it isn't a city with a large population here and then onethere, it is density after density. Clay toured 3 times in NJ and almost sells out every time. And our tickets are not like those inexpensive not-Jersey tickets, nooooooooooooo - all three venues were selling over 100 dollars, one venue had no ticket less than 100, even in the back of the venue.

Interesting to bring up Arizona as an example. I was going to write about this last night, but thought it sounded bitchy, but it is true. When the JNT 5 went through Arizona, I remember a discussion on one board between 5 people who lived in Arizona saying they were not going to see that crappy halloismas show with a "corny" plot that Clay was trying to foist upon them, They were going to wait for a pop concert. Well, they are still waiting - The venue didn't even sell a quarter of the tickets, do you really think they are going to book Clay again there? (NJ sold out) Sometimes you have to support a show you may not like 100% or buy an album. When people saw the show, there was some part of it most people liked. It was half the play and half Clay singing. The half of Clay singing lasted longer than a Daughtry or Clarkson concert, but some people demand every thing Clay do be 100% they want, they can't take even a little variation or a little bit that they may not like. If you want Clay to tour, then people have to come to the show. A lot of the West coast issue, besides not being as popular, is that the areas are so far apart, travel is hard by bus and expensive by plane.

I am easy, when I see Clay, there is very little that I might not like. I am never a fan of Good News. Just don't like it, but I sit in my seat and applaud because I love the rest of the show. If you want Clay in your area, you may just have to go and hold your nose if you are so inclined (odd to me, but hey, we are all different). Venues will only book people that sell enough tickets and venues in neighboring cities need to book him as well. So fan choice is also a problem.

O/T

About tickets estimates - I have to really question Pollstar, or Clay carries around a bunch of friends that fill seats that are nor counted or something. I talked to the ticket seller in one venue who told me they were sold out, I counted 40 empty seats in total, but the venue reported 75% sold. Other people have a half a house and get reported as 100% sold. Oh, and one year, I found out that a venue sold X many tickets because they were so sold out, they were turning people away at the door begging for a ticket, pollstar reported 1/2 sold.

Topics de' jour

Age of Clay fans: I guess I'm to the point in life where middle aged would almost be a compliment, I mean if I'm middle aged I'm gonna have to live til I'm 110 :cryingwlaughter: I will admit to muski's point that I too felt some type of twinge when they panned the audience at QVC. It's hard to explain and is a conundrum. I remember the contrast of feelings I got during the IT and the NAT tours. I was right smack between "god I wish they'd quit screaming so I could hear him sing", while at the same time loving the rush I felt from the crowds reaction to him. Does that make sense? A lot of the screaming came from the younger fans he had back then. I guess younger fans tend to move on to the next best thing.

Some of my favorite bits of clack is the crowd reaction to his first appearance on stage during the IT and NAT tours.

OTT fan behavior: Sometimes I think this just comes down to who's doing the defining. To my family I'm OTT because I've gone to so many concerts (9) HaHaHaHaHa...

Regarding touring: I live pretty close to the middle of the country, and I mostly have had to do a pretty hefty drive to see Clay. I had posted before last summers tour that Clay and Kelly sold pretty well in St. Louis for the IT and it was obviously a Clay heavy crowd, so I wasn't sure why he hadn't come back to St. Louis. He did come back to St. Louis for the Christmas tour this past year and he did not come near to selling out that theatre. So that may impact the decision to come back to St. Louis.

I really think there's a lot of data that is looked at by his management team that determines the tour route and none of it is meant to be a personal diss to any of his fans. I'm sure they look at where his records sell the most as well as where the tickets sell to his concerts. I just hope Clay can grow that fan base or win back fans that moved on because they didn't like some of his musical choices. He is just so good and so much fun to watch, I want him to be around til I'm, well.....110.

Tyra is coming on here in about 6 minutes!! Even tho I've just downloaded the clip, I'll still watch it!! There was a cute clip of it on yesterday's show.

LOVE the pix of Clay and Hannah!! (Did you realize HANNAH spells the same word forwards and backwards?? There's a word for that....)

clay-aiken-lion-king-08.jpg

eta: is that the one you like couchie??