#31: The Very Handsome Sir Clay of Aiken

ldyjocelyn

FCA Thread Title Poll  

38 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• The man with the titanium balls - and the voice to back them up!
    • OMG, chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills
    • They are seeing what WE see ? a brilliant, intelligent, and genuinely funny and lovely man.
    • Clay Aiken, I love your mad talented, tender-hearted, freakin' Broadway star, soul!
    • I'm totally jonesing for Clay Aiken's voice right now. God! I need to be sedated.
    • I could listen to that Raleigh son rattle on all day long. He makes me smile.
    • The whole damn thing was perfect!

Paula dean's May 30 show is a BBQ episode...perfect for the not weird guy.

Slurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp.

*licks fingers*

ETA: dannnng, and I had my bib all ready. *pouts*

Heheh, I'm betting that isn't the last time today that assistant answers that question!

Only so I don't start false hope for BBQ and Clay together in the same show...from PhillyluvsClay at getclayaiken

Okay, I'm now in league of the um, enthusiatic crowd of fandon.. I went to the Paula Deen site and notice a customer service phone # on the bottom of the page. And um yep, I called to find out when Clay would be on. A verra verra nice young man on the other side of the phone was very cordial and gave me another #. Imagine my surprise when I was taking to Paula Deen's assistant! She was very nice. But, the show was just recorded and it will take a couple of months to edit and produce. So the earliest the show will be on is in August.... EEEKSmilie.gif

I can't believe I did that! embarassed.gif

Only so I don't start false hope for BBQ and Clay together in the same show...from PhillyluvsClay at getclayaiken

Okay, I'm now in league of the um, enthusiatic crowd of fandon.. I went to the Paula Deen site and notice a customer service phone # on the bottom of the page. And um yep, I called to find out when Clay would be on. A verra verra nice young man on the other side of the phone was very cordial and gave me another #. Imagine my surprise when I was taking to Paula Deen's assistant! She was very nice. But, the show was just recorded and it will take a couple of months to edit and produce. So the earliest the show will be on is in August.... EEEKSmilie.gif

I can't believe I did that! embarassed.gif

thanks for bringing that over laughn...I do believe this is a special New York show...I wonder if they will do New York type od dishes...

No Clay in California? :cryingwlaughter: There are tons of states Clay hasn't toured in. He has to be asked and if there is no demand for him, he won't be. He isn't the superstar some think he is. No single, except Invisible got any decent radio play. Hopefully Spamalot will do a lot to change his image and make him more cool to some younger kids. That is untill they hear a few of those ballads on his new CD. I'm sorry but, The Real Me and Something about us is geared more for the people from the 40's era. No matter how pretty he sings them. As others have said Clay's choice of songs and the way he interprets them are not what appeals to mainstream radio and the youngins. JMHO

Love Paula Deen.

I was sort of disappointed with the QVC show. I thought he was going to get an hour and he only got a half hour and they only had 12,000 available for order during the show? That was aimed directly at his existing fanbase, in my opinion. Here I posted "sell a 100,000 of them puppies, Clay." :cryingwlaughter: Well I always do dream big for him, don't I? I think I need to lower my expectations for his career a bit. I really felt that QVC had the potential to enlarge his fanbase with some new fans. He did not sell those songs to me, an avid fan so I wonder how many new people liked them? Lost opportunity it seems to me. Clay was not on his game. It seemed to me he didn't even want to be there. Tired or not, I wish Clay would give the same consideration, professionalism, and attention to his public appearances and his tours as he did with Spamalot. Now, to say some positive things about QVC. :cryingwlaughter: I will say that I was proud of him for seemingly taking the time to learn the words to his new songs. If there was an Aiken Lyric Generator in use, nobody would know. He looked very good, :hubbahubba: and I have always had an overwhelming urge to kiss him deeply right in his wonky eye. I did dream about him and it was good for me. :Thud: I hope it was good for him. He kisses and nuzzles the neck very well.

Liked the Tyra show. A fan is a fan and even the ones I don't like, their money spends just as good as mine. I'd say right now, that Clay needs them and needs them badly. They are carrying him. Not only in CD and ticket sales but his charity as well. I personally am not going to put myself in debt to go see him 40 times but I sure as heck am glad he has fans with that kind of disposable income or lack of judgement about how they spend their money. He needs it. I do wonder, though, how long we can keep him afloat? I think Jenna is wise beyond her years too.

I honestly don't think people are classifying anybody as rude becaue they can see Clay..they are saying, what THEIR circumstance is and how they feel about. I don't expect anyone to feel guilty because they are lucky enough to be in the land of Clay. As Ansa said, someone is always a little worse off than the next person. I'm really not complaining either... I'm just saying, going to see Clay can be quite the hardship. I do it because I love it, usually by the skin of my teeth. I just realize everyone isn't even as fortunate as that. But I don't think stop whining really solves anything. :cryingwlaughter:

I appreciate that it is difficult to see Clay, but if you are in California, you can get tickets to shows.

Well if you live in Southern California you might possibly get one of the 300 or 400 seats available for a tv taping but really, it ain't that close to me at all and as many people can testify to you run the risk of traveling and getting shut out.

Anyway, I think Clay looks hot in those pictures.

I really don;t think he has to target the under 20 demographics to have a good career. I also don't think the under 20 market watch QVC. I do believe for the target market, the songs he chose were great. I think the problem really was that he was on for only half an hour. He sold out their initial order...and apparently got 15K order for that time alone...so too bad he didn't have enough time to sell more on air. BUT QVC customers can still order online.

His QVC performance may not be as energetic as his Concert persona...but I still thought he was great. I really loved the songs he sang and I'm sure there were a lot of people that loved it too.

I'm sorry but, The Real Me and Something about us is geared more for the people from the 40's era. No matter how pretty he sings them.

Hmmmm....I'm not a "40's era person" at all (I'm 20 years younger than that) and I LOVED both songs. I think those two were my favorites that he sang that night.

As others have said Clay's choice of songs and the way he interprets them are not what appeals to mainstream radio and the youngins. JMHO

And -- that's exactly what he's been saying all this time. "I'm not aiming for radio play." I truly think he doesn't care....but I've had this discussion with others, and I truly do get the feeling that some fans DO care. And badly.

I really felt that QVC had the potential to enlarge his fanbase with some new fans. He did not sell those songs to me, an avid fan so I wonder how many new people liked them? Lost opportunity it seems to me.

Nah. Not a lost opportunity at all. Just a different audience. And I would guess that maybe half of the CD's sold here to QVC regulars. But that's a guess. And -- they haven't removed ordering his CD from their website either.

Clay was not on his game. It seemed to me he didn't even want to be there.

Possibly. But I'm not in his head.

Tired or not, I wish Clay would give the same consideration, professionalism, and attention to his public appearances and his tours as he did with Spamalot.

Only my opinion -- but I think he does that with his tours. I think he cares very much about all those things. I know we've gone round and round about this Clayzor -- but I simply loved his "breaking down the fourth wall" during the DCAT. It showed that we have a snarky boyfriend, and I think he planned it that way.

Now, to say some positive things about QVC. :cryingwlaughter: I will say that I was proud of him for seemingly taking the time to learn the words to his new songs. If there was an Aiken Lyric Generator in use, nobody would know.

Actually, I was thinking about that yesterday, in conjunction with muski's thoughts on Clay not letting loose. I'm pretty sure there were teleprompters on the floor. It's very hard to see them, but I think I noticed them more than once.

Honestly -- I do think there are "kids" out there that will like songs like TRM and SAU. They may not be plentiful, but they are out there. IMO, there's some reverse discrimination going on from time to time. Why do people think ALL kids like nothing but top 40? Or classic rock? I'm sure there are kids out there that like ballads. Are they chopped liver?

One more thought...I think Clay's fanbase will expand. Somehow. Someway. I just don't know what the magic formula for that is. And it will happen with TIME. He's NOT going away, and I'm confident that he'll be around for the next 20 years. With or without an expanded fanbase.

I don't think QVC was aimed at young people. It was aimed at the QVC audience and my guess is that it isn't teens or twenty somethings. I think it would be stupid if Team Clay ignored opportunities to bring in the audience that he clearly for some reason has the ability to draw in. And to me, no appearance needs to stand on its own. He will have other stuff that hopefully will appeal to them -- just like he will do Kimmell to appeal to men. I know I know Kimmel is our friend LOL but he doesn't appeal to me on any level other than sometimes he has Clay on. When I've ventured to look at it sans Clay I've foudn him just as ignorant as the other talk show hosts. Yes, some bits are funny but that is a show clearly not aimed at me. I think it's important to take the whole and I believe every appearance will bring someone in, whether I or any other individual liked it or not.

When S.O.L and I were chatting last night at 2 am ..she reminded me that she fell for Clay hard, not on Idol, not on TRL (and she was a twenty something fan 5 years ago) but singing TITN on Miss America. YES, MISS AMERICA. The show many of us didn't even want him to do. So, it's ok if he didn't live up to expectations for some of us or he wasn't the tour chatty clay -- I bet he still managed to bring in new fans - someone willing to give him a shot, or someone that now is interested in knowing more about him. And that's all the one show is supposed to do..and then next week he'll do it all over again on another show.

So many great posts today.

Hey Jamar I'm at the library!

KAndre, it's times like this when I want to be a minion. I agree with your opinion. For those that have problems with family and friends, is it actually Clay they can't stand or the time you spend on it. I'm so happy I don't have this problem.

waves to Jenna...

so do we all have all our Spam stuff. The Spamalot flyer at the info kiosk at Port Authority features Clay in "what a difference a clay makes. If anyone wants one just let me know. I grabbed a handful.

Actually, I was thinking about that yesterday, in conjunction with muski's thoughts on Clay not letting loose. I'm pretty sure there were teleprompters on the floor. It's very hard to see them, but I think I noticed them more than once.

I was there and there were definitely teleprompters on the floor. I don't think he used them much though. There were also big boom cameras and men with handheld cameras walking around and very close to him and there were a lot of cables all over the floor. He really had very little room to move around.

As to his professionalism etc or lack thereof - I said in my recap that I thought Clay was a bit off his game that night, but I don't think it was because he didn't want to be there (if he didn't want to do QVC I think he could have nixed it from the beginning) or that he didn't care. I am not sure what it was but it could be as simple as the boy is tired! I wish I could explain why I thought it but I just felt it when I was there.

As for the songs - well, everyone who read my recap knows I wasn't blown away. I do largely blame the sound in the studio for that, and they did sound better when I watched at qvc.com, but a lot of people did like them. The show host was standing near us waiting for the show to start and she just gushed about the CD. She LOVED those songs, especially TRM which I know he sang for her. She looked to be young 30-ish, not his "usual" demographic. The show host he did the walk on with, Rick, he was there to watch Clay - along with his very attractive wife and 2 young sons. He really seemed to be enjoying Clay. He was smiling and bopping his head during the faster the songs, and his wife couldn't take her eyes off Clay and had that tell-tale goofy grin on her face! Both of them were in their early 30's I would bet. There were some teens and pre-teens in the audience - some with a sign that said something about "Clay Rocks". They were screaming for him and jumping up and down. There was a boy who looked like he was about 14 who did look VERY bored.

I guess my point is, from what I could tell from these songs, I wouldn't expect them to be big hits with the teens and early 20-somethings who seem to mostly love rap and dance music. But most of those songs TO ME seemed cross-generational. Of all the songs I heard that night I loved SAU the best. I thought it was very sexy, smokey, jazzy and that appealed to me, and while I am not a youngster I am definitely not from the 40's!

I have never understood why his music has to appeal to the teens and 20-somethings. Is there any more fickle an age group than that? Someone they LOVE today is old news tomorrow as they move on to the next person. That doesn't bode well for longevity! I suppose to be a "cool" pop star you have to appeal to that age group, be heard in dance clubs and be a hit on Top 40 radio.

Well I think its about to time this fandom comes to accept that Clay is not the usual "pop" star. I think he's forging his own path. I would like him to get radio play but I am sure it would be on AC or maybe Hot AC. Would that be so bad? Artists played on those formats sell CDs. Not only old fogeys listen to those stations. I work with a girl who is 27 and she listens to an AC station all day!

The thing for me is that Clay is successful enough to be around for a long time. To accomplish that he will have to expand his fanbase. But that doesn't mean he has to expand it just to the teens and young 20-somethings. He just has to gain new fans - young, old and everything in between.

There are tons of states Clay hasn't toured in. He has to be asked and if there is no demand for him, he won't be. He isn't the superstar some think he is. No single, except Invisible got any decent radio play. Hopefully Spamalot will do a lot to change his image and make him more cool to some younger kids. That is untill they hear a few of those ballads on his new CD. I'm sorry but, The Real Me and Something about us is geared more for the people from the 40's era. No matter how pretty he sings them. As others have said Clay's choice of songs and the way he interprets them are not what appeals to mainstream radio and the youngins. JMHO

Love Paula Deen.

I do wonder, though, how long we can keep him afloat?

Clayzor -- :F_05BL17blowkiss: I love ya, but we disagree profoundly on some things. First there's a difference in touring on your own and pocketing the entire net proceeds, and having a sponsor to front a major tour, book the big venues and share the spoils. I think the reason Clay isn't touring immediately with OMWH is that they may be ready to get a Live Nation tour with a 50-60 city deal, and all the bells and whistles and circles and arrows. I just do not get the despair that Clay is NOT a superstar, and I wonder if it depends on where you are. Certainly in places in the South where country music reigns, someone like Clay Aiken would be non-existent in the public consciousness, if not openly scoffed at, but he gets publicity everytime he steps out and he's pretty much got a lifetime career in the bag. Kelly doesn't, and Daughtry doesn't, and Carrie Underwood has potential but if she doesn't develop some basic stage presence she'll be replaced by the next PYT who can sing country music and connect with an audience. They are all big selling artists -- but they don't have lifetime franchises on superstardom, and I do believe our man does. The Real Me and Something About Us are geared for the '40's era crowd? My parents are 87 and 85 and they were the '40's era. Come on, girl! I hear contemporary ballads here, and actually we haven't heard them at all yet. The temp backing he had at QVC in no way reflects what Kipper did in the studio. I'm salivating to hear the full CD. I haven't picked a favorite or turned my nose up to anything because from what I've heard so far, any one or all of them could sweep me off my feet. I think the production values are the best yet for Clay and he sounds exquisite. I don't care is Clay has more or less younger or older fans, or however you can slice and dice music lovers and CD buyers. I want him to have what he's always had -- across the board appeal to those who hear the call. (Do you hear what I hear?) I think you can be 8 or 80 and all points in between and fall for him. And you didn't have to do that five years ago to do it today. That's the magic of Clay. Everything that was said about him by Gladys Knight on AI was the God's truth.

The Food Network isn't my cuppa. I don't know Paula Dean from Jimmy Dean, but if she has Clay on the show I'll be watching that day. I've watched Martha Stewart exactly ONCE in my life. Guess when, ha! And WHOA was he HOT that day - so I'm all for Clay in the kitchen with eyefucks!

Anyway, Clay has fans far beyond online. I know because I was one of them two years ago. Clay hasn't sold those 6 million CDs and thousands of books even predominantly to the messageboard fans. I think that's a myth. If 10,000 online fans bought eight copies each for a total of 80,000, it would amount to about 15% of the total sold just for ATDW. I really think he's doing much better than staying afloat -- he's soaring. At least in my heart.

Now why can't I have one of those X-rated dreams! Damn!

Hello again....it's me! (oh - that's a Neil Diamond lyric.....) I have a response to Clayzorback's comment about "lots of states he hasn't toured in" but I ain't going down that road again. I have moved on. And when the tour is finally announced that will be me sitting in the corner crying her widdle eyes out - yet again! Hmmm...maybe I could have a neighborhood bake sale or something. :whistling-1:

QVC - it is what it is. It's amazing to me how many people watch that show. So I'm guessing Clay made some new fans!

Paula Deen - love her, as I said. Lots of people watch the Food Network, too. He's going to be great on it. Guess that is the second round of the promo?

Hannah - all rumors of course but it's being said that someone who works at Spam says she and Clay hang out alot together before and after the show. I think it's great. Whether they're friends or flirting it doesn't matter!!!!

People seeing numerous whatevers....more power to ya!

Rude and OTT people - can't live with them and don't want to join them. But I think it's sad that any celebrity has to put up with crazy people and stalkers.

I think anything he does right now is good promo. His name, his face and his voice are out there. I believe that's what promotion is!!! So I'm not going to discount anything.

oooh, yes..thanks ChaCha.. I will grab it up when I'm at my computer. I'm at the library, just hanging out. heee.

I loved catching up with all the conversation. Good stuff.

Couchie - you can use the url of the photo in your controls (it's in my new photobucket acct!) if you want to try that. At least till you get back home!

Very interesting conversations...we have such intelligent women here; I very much enjoy reading everyday...logic and common sense without all the drama.

I remember when I first heard Clay sing on AI, my first thought was that "here is someone who is a throw back to the old school of singing" and I have always thought that if he had come along at the tail end of the 60's, early 70's that he would be huge. Clay once said in an interview that if he had to pick a genre of music to sing, it would be 40's Big Band...In one of his blogs he described himself as a vocal stylist. I always sort have envisioned him as a latter day James Taylor. It seems to me since day one he has been telling us what kind of music he likes to sing; even ATDW, which I love, and though it may have been mandated, I don't doubt for one minute that Clay loved those songs and when he said they were the type of songs he loves to sing, I believe him.

The problem is that many fans don't want to hear what he is saying; they are so focused on who they want Clay to be instead of accepting who he is. He is not ever going to be a rock star and I doubt very much that he will ever be a presence on top 40 radio; and this CD doesn't appear to be aimed at top 40. I don't get the complaints that it is being promoted to AC or Hot AC, because that in my opinion, is the best fit for Clay and I don't think it is a bad thing. Maybe I will be wrong and a song or two may make it to Top 40, I bet Clay would be thrilled if it happened, but he obviously is not counting on it.

I am really hoping that OMWH here is successful and that it has legs and that many more people can be exposed to that beautiful voice. Beyond that, I am just here for the ride and waiting to see what is around the corner...I have no fears where Clay is concerned, because he has proven over and over again that he has the talent and the brains and the charisma to do whatever he wants to do in this business and in life. Being a Clay Aiken fan is the best!

Kim

keepingfaith

That's the magic of Clay. Everything that was said about him by Gladys Knight on AI was the God's truth.

The Food Network isn't my cuppa. I don't know Paula Dean from Jimmy Dean, but if she has Clay on the show I'll be watching that day. I've watched Martha Stewart exactly ONCE in my life. Guess when, ha! And WHOA was he HOT that day - so I'm all for Clay in the kitchen with eyefucks!

WORD! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Hey, Couchie! :whistling-1: You thinking about a beer? :bier: I seem to be REALLY thinking about a beer. I have some in my fridge...wanna come over later? :lilredani:

Interesting to bring up Arizona as an example. I was going to write about this last night, but thought it sounded bitchy, but it is true. When the JNT 5 went through Arizona, I remember a discussion on one board between 5 people who lived in Arizona saying they were not going to see that crappy halloismas show with a "corny" plot that Clay was trying to foist upon them, They were going to wait for a pop concert. Well, they are still waiting - The venue didn't even sell a quarter of the tickets, do you really think they are going to book Clay again there? (NJ sold out) Sometimes you have to support a show you may not like 100% or buy an album. When people saw the show, there was some part of it most people liked. It was half the play and half Clay singing. The half of Clay singing lasted longer than a Daughtry or Clarkson concert, but some people demand every thing Clay do be 100% they want, they can't take even a little variation or a little bit that they may not like. If you want Clay to tour, then people have to come to the show. A lot of the West coast issue, besides not being as popular, is that the areas are so far apart, travel is hard by bus and expensive by plane.

Now I need to defend Arizona. I believe there were about 10,000 people attending the IT here, and close to 5,000 for the first JNT. The second JNT was in the freaking beginning of November. Almost all of the early shows for that tour had horrible numbers. We'll go see Clay in a Christmas Tour in July, but the NJU's won't...and people just aren't thinking about Christmas in the beginning of November. Besides what "5" Fans said or didn't say shouldn't have any effect on his touring here. One BIG problem with that tour was that they booked venues that were way to big. The Phoenix Venue is 5,000 seats. Oh and there was absolutely no advertising for it at all. As I recall though, even alot of the Eastern dates that were after Thanksgiving didn't sell all that well either.

But from what I've heard from people who like Clay, and aren't on the Boards, is that they really, REALLY want to see him in a Pop Tour. He hasn't done that here since 2004.

As far as the handlul of show in LA. Leno is almost impossible to get tickets for unless you know someone. Kimmel is hard to get tickets for. The West does not mean only LA...it is a distance for most of the Westerners to get oo.....especially if you don't have guarenteed tickets. Travelling to see Clay for 2 hours in Concert is reasonable....travelling and hoping for a ticket? Naw. Kimmel is cool if Clay is performing....but to travel to see him on the show for 5 minutes?

A Show is not the same as going to see him in Concert.

Personally I think they are waiting to see how well this CD sells before booking venues. I don't think he wants what happened to Kelly to happen to him. Smart Man.

Love Love Love Paula Dean!

Well, my viewpoint about venues was driven by my personal experience listening to people discuss they didn't want to go to this one. It could be any state really, but they wanted to wait for the next one, like my friend from Toronto. What can we learn about this? don't generalize about anyone anywhere. Still, some large venues have sold out in the east coast. They seem to be shrinking. It is the venues that seek out Clay, not Clay seeking out the venues, so if it was too large and did not advertise - it is the venue's fault. Still, they will not rebook if they lose money.

I am overly sensitive when people assume I can't empathize with others because I have not experienced something. Imagine long personal story about death and unhappiness eventual mental abuse - will skip to save time. Sometimes I don't understand, sometimes I do.

It sucks to be around people celebrating something you can't have it, but at the same time many people are trying to help get you what you can have - that is a form of empathy. There are fans who have very little and are barely wholding themselves together each day, there are teens that struggle when their parents make fun of them and they can't afford to go to the concert down the road as well as adults who are denied. Yes, it would be wonderful, but I guess I don't understand why people believe that Clay can make a miracle happen and spend millions of dollars without making a cent to have concerts in empty halls across the country. If he had small, very small venue concerts, he would be torn apart as his 15 minutes are over. The best we can hope for is some fair concerts with inexpensive tickets to cover the country. But the fair people need to court him. He can't go around as an opening act, like the others, or once again, he would be torn apart.

What do you think he can do - in a really practical way to reach more people while not losing a tome of money and getting mocked by it in the media?

Playbiller, It's just that we have other venues that are larger and smaller. He could have played in a very nice venue that seats 2,000, which actually was more in line with how many seats the Eastern Venues held.

We may not be NYC, but 3+ Million people do live here. We do have multiple venues to choose from.

I personally don't feel they have planned his tours very well...even discounting my problems with the lack of Western Dates. They always seem so haphazardly planned. Like I said just accepting invitations, instead of planning a real tour. Accepting venues he has no hope of filling. This has went on since the NAT. I talk about Phoenix, because I live here.....but the same problem affects many, many areas of the Country, like the poor forgotten PNW. My son asked me the other day if I wanted to move back to Portland...and I said hell no, I'd never see Clay if I lived up there.

But the big problem is not Phoenix...it's the large area of the Country that he doesn't tour in. Clay is at his best as a Live Performer, and fans do drift away if they never see him in their area. Much less popular Artists manage to tour in areas other than the North East.

I thought the DCAT was a pretty successful tour? Sorry but I simply do not believe the Pollstar numbers. Venues that I saw with my own eyes as having very few empty seats were reported at 60 and 70%. That's not wishful thinking or rose coloured glasses, that's personal experience. I don't think we'll ever see Clay selling out stadiums, and I don't think he needs to. But don't sell him short! Clearly he must be making some money at it (those Paul Smith suits don't grow on trees, lol). I would be perfectly happy to see him in the same venues (not literally) for the OMWH tour. He has never indicated that he's not going to tour, or even that he's struggling to tour. He's said he wants to have a break, and then plan from there.

I would not be surprised to see him perhaps tour with another act though. So many artists are doing it - artists a whole lot more established than Clay, too. It isn't about being an 'opening act'.

I know it's not quite the same thing, because he doesn't have much presence (to date anyway) on the radio. But I love music - it's a big part of my life. Own hundreds of CD's and thought the early days of Napster were pretty much Nirvana. And before Clay? I'd been to exactly two live concerts in my life. The Who (their second or third 'farewell' tour (ha ha) in 1982 and Air Supply (shuddup).