#31: The Very Handsome Sir Clay of Aiken

ldyjocelyn

FCA Thread Title Poll  

38 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• The man with the titanium balls - and the voice to back them up!
    • OMG, chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills
    • They are seeing what WE see ? a brilliant, intelligent, and genuinely funny and lovely man.
    • Clay Aiken, I love your mad talented, tender-hearted, freakin' Broadway star, soul!
    • I'm totally jonesing for Clay Aiken's voice right now. God! I need to be sedated.
    • I could listen to that Raleigh son rattle on all day long. He makes me smile.
    • The whole damn thing was perfect!

Gibby said:

So I want to make sure that we don't paint repeat Spam or repeat concert goers with a broad, negative brush. I'm sure that wasn't your intention; I did see that you said 'some'.

I'm not painting anybody with a broad, negative brush except those who's behavior is OTT. I'm sure there are some out there who would ask what I considered OTT behavior but I think that would be splitting hairs. We're in agreement Gibby. I was originally scheduled to see Spam twice and got bit by the Aiken bug and added a show. I guess I still can't see anyone seeing it 20 times but then there's no way I could afford to do that either!!! And you're right - there are many people (bless the Clack gatherers to name a few) who go to multiple shows and enjoy them and don't make scenes.

Anyway.....I hope my post wasn't misunderstood!!!!

The reason I would like to see Clay on Idol is because despite my love/hate attitude towards reality shows and frustration with the way Idol has evolved, there is no denying that AI has a huge audience; I've noticed some people love to watch it even if for no reason but to be able to whine/b*tch about it**. At the end of the day, a large mixed audience for Clay will mean new and/or renewed fans.

I have pragmatic reasons for wanting Clay to have a growing audience - a growing fan base means more CD sales. More sales means he will remain on the list of artists that record companies will consider a safe bet, and songwriters will write for him. I don't really care what it takes (within reason) for Clay to maintain a high profile in the business. I don't live in the USA so I don't know or understand the dynamics behind what's going on with the judges and Ryan in terms of their attitude towards Clay. However, they can't deny that Clay is really what "American Idol is about" ... I can't think of a single contestant in 7 years that has had the kind of impact Clay has had on fans... from day one he was a fascinating contestant, and he defied every stereotype of what kind of image a potential pop star is supposed to have. For these and other reasons, Idol would be stupid to not invite him very nicely to show him off as one of their major success stories. He is certainly their MOST INTERESTING success story by far.

ETA ** I am mainly talking about Idol in my own country, but feel it is consistent with the music industry/reality show trend in the USA and other countries.

I also would Clay to have more younger fans. I do not think that it is the fault of his current fan base that he does not. IMO, the young today for the most part do not have good taste in music. A lot of them prefer hip hop and for males, even very young ones, heavy rock is still the music of choice. I am very happy that Clay chooses to sing beautiful songs instead of going with the current trend.

In the recap of the 17 year old female fan who was chosen for Tyra, she mentions that "her friends make fun of her for liking Clay Aiken." I know in my own family that I am the only Clay fan. When I mentioned Clay to my DIL, she said, "yeah my mom likes him." Her mom is exactly my age. The young females in my family like Miley Cyrus. All of the males, regardless of age like the harder rock. I am amazed that even the younger ones are familiar with the Stones, Jefferson Airplane, and such along with the current lot of "noise makers."

I agree with Ansamcw that "if Clay wants to change things, change his audience, its really up to him to do it, and it will have to start with his product." I do not think that this will work for me, since I love Clay's style of singing. I did not like it when Mariah Carey started singing hip hop, but she has managed to make a comeback by changing her product.

I do wish that the media would stop showcasing Clay's fans because that takes away from Clay. But in a way, it is also amazing that one young man can inspire so much devotion, and maybe that is what the media is seeing. I just wish that Clay would get 100 percent attention without any audience shots. I do think that that discourages younger people because they do not want to like what "grandma" likes, or what middle age women like. JMO

Thank you, guys, for your comments. Interesting stuff. I would like to try to clarify something. I have no desire to 'diss' the entire reality of being 'middle aged'. Holy crap! That's me! I just didn't like that someone felt it 'cute' or 'necessary' or 'relevant' to introduce herself as being middle aged. WHY? What's the point? Just thought it was downright WEIRD. If it had been a male calling in, should he have said, "Hi, I'm one of your middle-aged fans"? How about a teenager---should she have said, "Hi, I'm sixteen and a fan of yours." Just...odd to me.

And it's NOT just the 'age' that defines the traveling audience. For sure, OTT behavior shows no ageist prejudices---there are OTT little kids, OTT teenagers, OTT PYT, OTT middle agers, and yes---OTT 'senior' fans. So I'm honestly NOT 'picking' on the age so much as other, more distressing descriptors.

Ansa, I understand where you're coming from re: Clay's product (heh)---although I think it's more to do with the decisions made about what's released of Clay for the general public consumption...and I honestly don't get, for example, why OMWH was chosen to be the first single because it SCREAMS to me "TYPICAL" Clay Aiken song and sound----and I mean 'typical' in that "middle of the road, easy listening" kinda way. I wish EIDN or Fallin' or Ashes had been the leading single.

And I smiled over the 'how many times' discussion for Spamalot shows. :cryingwlaughter: I do agree that an older demographic would hold the heftier credit card power and I say 'more power to them' to those who can go again and again and again! Hey, I'm going for multiples myself and my credit card balance makes me laugh/cry! But I'm not buying premium for all my shows or insisting on being front and center for them all. I lucked into third row for my first show in March and have taken the luck of the draw (or luck of the re-sell on a message board for reduced prices) for the rest. I'm all over the place--mezzanine left, right, orchestra side, orchestra right rear side...wherever. Yep, I wanna see the show as many times as possible because CLay rawks, fo' sho'...but the danged SHOW is so freakin' funny and fun, too! If someone offered me a super dooper seat closer to front and center, would I take it? Probably...but then I'm not a regular up there so it's no biggie to me.

And, ultimately, it's no biggie period. I'm really not trying to call out any individuals. My...concern? discomfort? conundrum? (I can't think of the right word.) here is more with a group think---a small group that, unfortunately in my opinion, wields a disproportionate amount of influence on the public perception of who a 'typical' Clay AIken fan would be. A "typical" Clay fan? Maybe not in reality, if we were able to get a real demographic study done; but certainly typical judged by the amount of exposure and publicity they get--either because of their OTT behavior in some isolated but well-documented cases---or because of the demographics that panoramic camera shots of studio audiences and the front of concert audiences reveal.

Oh yes - OTT behavior isn't ageist (is that a real word?) but for some reason when it's exhibited by people over a certain age it seems to get more attention. If a teenager squeals and cries and feels faint it seems to be okay. If I did that they wouldn't know whether to call the paramedics or throw a glass of cold water on me.

I would see Spam again if I could afford it.....

I have always been outspoken about Clay's propensity to travel only in certain geographic areas because the peeps in California or the Pacific Northwest and Canada get shut out time and time again. Last year some rude person said "oh shut up Iseeme, you get to see him 4 times in California!" Gee thanks. One out of how many tours and he lands 600+ miles away - might as well have been 4 states away. I know he has no control over that but I do hope when he tours this CD that he goes other places than he's been performing repeatedly. I get cranky.

Does anybody else feel its strange to see Def Leppard on DWTS? Is everybody else busy? :cryingwlaughter:

Sorry you are having a crabby day playbiller. Is that why you didn't return my call? :tongue57: Sounds like a great time at the Easter Bonnet show. I am quite good at scrolling and today was no exception. So I'm still pretty happy.

As one of the more mature fans here, by age only, I can honestly say that I don't feel my age, I look it but don't feel it. But unfortunately I'm not one of the rich fans so you won't see me in the front row except for Sunday night :lilredani: Thanks playbiller. I love to watch the enthusiastic fans and no it doesn't bother me that they might be my age. If spending great sums of money watching Clay makes someone feel better I say go for it. I've read of people who are unhappy or depressed and being part of this Clay fandom has made them feel better about themselves. I think this is a new phenomena and I don't think it is only Clay. I've met older Josh Groban fans and one of them travelled overseas when he did. Eating out one evening I saw a woman of about 85 stand up and tell her friends that she had to leave right that minute because she didn't want to miss American Idol. :cryingwlaughter:

At the gym I take Zumba( a Latin/ hip hop class) and talk the young members nearby who are as young as thirteen. Doesn't embarrass me in the least. When I trip on my own feet and fall down doesn't bother me at all. I volunteer for Hillary Clinton's campaign and enjoy the company of the college students and others who also volunteer. Appearances are superficial, one's age should be determined more by attitude and interests. That's just my opinion and I just thought I'd put it out there.

ETA; I see you qualified your post muski, but honestly there are OTT people everywhere: sporting events, political events. It's honestly not just Clay. They are everywhere.

If Clay's fan base happens to be saturated with middle-aged women, it goes to prove one thing and one thing only ... that middle-aged women of the third millennium have impeccable taste! (After all, they were around to experience the best of the best musical legends of the 20th century and are now qualified to recognize class and pure talent when they come across it!)

I really am torned about this whole issue. As much as I agree with Muski...I also don't think the fans can do anything about it. If Clay wants to change things change his audience...its really up to him to do it. If he wants to court a younger audience it will have to start with his product...with his promo strategy. From the snippets we heard...I think he has several tracks that can follow OMWH that would fit a younger demographics. If he brings one of them out and tries harder with radio...then he could expand the fanbase into younger demographic but I think it will be hard to penetrate the under 20 market.

I also think it's up to Clay and his music to court a younger audience. But this is a difficult one for me because 1. I am 45. 2. I'm going to whatever concert I can and get the best ticket I can and I really don't care that some young fan may be missing out on sitting where I'm sitting. I'm not going to voluntarily give it up. I guess I'm at the point to where if Clay's primary audience is older women then hell that's what it is. There's a whole lot more out there so go get them. I MUST look at it from this point of view and see how that shoe fits on me before I say that others should reign themselves in. Looking at some of the promo I think part of it definitely reaches out to get those women, e.g. QVC and even selling this album as a mother's day item. So I guess I'm saying...I want Clay to expand his fan base, just don't care where those new people come from --even if it's more older women. Thanks for sparking this discussion Muski.

I agree with the sense of decorum issue though. I think sometimes the tendency is to have a social while Clay is up on the stage and it can be disturbing. I often wonder if a lot of the fandom is about the relationships made with each other because sometimes that seems more important. The chatter bothers me. As does trying to clayvert somebody already at a Clay concert/event. Clay is more than capable of reeling them in on his own.

pkmiller...I was just giving my opinion only on the numbers for Clay. I understand the importance of them and pray he does well...hell I hope he's off the charts. But somewhere along the line the music became the most important thing. If Clay does phenomenal I will celebrate. If he matches ATDW I will celebrate. And if he has disappointing sales I will be disappointed but I will celebrate that he got to make the album he wanted to make.

I have to say that sometimes it's extremely hard to really communicate meaning in diplomatic language. I really need to say that my major 'issue' is NOT the AGE of Clay's fans, and the fact that age is the main aspect of what I wrote that is striking a chord is interesting---and reflective of my failure to say what I meant to say. How could I 'condemn' being a middle aged fan? Hell, depending on whom you ask, I might be considered a bit older than middle aged! So please...it's not age alone that seems to characterize the public perception of a Clay fan.

It would be very revealing, I think, if there was somehow archives of all Clay's appearances on TV shows, in concerts, etc.---that showed the audiences---regardless of the city, state or venue. There actually is some truth to Clay's joking assessment of the "3000' or so fans that follow him around. And based on many of those archived tapes, there are other stereotypes that might 'bear witness', too.

Everyone needs to follow his/her own heart. I'll continue to go to whatever Clay concert, etc., that I possibly can because he's wonderful and I love him. I'll clap and yell with the crowds and be happy and (more discreetly) drool and fantasize that he's all hawt and sexy just for MEEEEEEEE! I've met him and I've gushed like an idiot over the hug I got (not there and then, but often when telling the story to one or two people); in that first wild, crazy year after Idol I helped organize a group of message board friends to send him a present of some black silk boxers and then I put those boxers on a Sponge Bob Squarepants pillow and handed them to Jerome outside of a Krispy Kreme in Winston Salem, NC, and asked him to please give it to Clay, who was sitting in the black SUV next to us! (Along with the boxers and the pillow was a note about the $700 we'd raised and sent to the BAF)...Yep, I've been nuts for the guy!

I was middle aged then and am still middle aged (but I won't be giving him any more black silky boxers..heh) so nope...I ain't dissing being middle aged, folks. I'm sorry for any hurt feelings or misunderstandings. I need to follow my advice to my former students--write a draft, then rewrite it, then let it sit for awhile, then revise it before you hand it in. :imgtongue:

I have always been outspoken about Clay's propensity to travel only in certain geographic areas because the peeps in California or the Pacific Northwest and Canada get shut out time and time again. Last year some rude person said "oh shut up Iseeme, you get to see him 4 times in California!" Gee thanks. One out of how many tours and he lands 600+ miles away - might as well have been 4 states away. I know he has no control over that but I do hope when he tours this CD that he goes other places than he's been performing repeatedly. I get cranky

I've been very vocal about this too. I think one reason why you see so many of the same fans is that he tours in the same geographical area all the time....in venues that are in close proximity to each other. It isn't about just seeing Clay, it is a social event. Yet it seems like those of us in the West get our hand patted and told...but he did come to California for four concerts last summer. Now don't get me wrong that was great. BUT the West is a whole lot bigger than just Southern California. Plus it was just one concert tour, out of how many that bypassed us?

I think if he spread out his tours, he wouldn't see the same faces in the audience. I also think he would expand his fanbase....I don't see how he is expanding his base by playing to the same people every single time.

Interesting post Muski, I agree with alot of it....BUT...I also think that Clay hasn't put out any music since MOAM that would appeal to most young people. I am so glad this album is current and orginal. I really think that will help......although it would have helped more if they had picked a different Single to start off with. I remember going to the IT and there were a whole lot of young fans who must have drifted away because Clay wasn't putting out music that interested them. He has focused so much in the Christmas Tours in recent years, and those type of tours tend to attract an older audience for any artist.

As a more "mature" fan who swoons at the sight of Clay, even I was appalled when I went to the IT and heard women in their 70's speaking about Clay in very sexually explicit ways in public. I think there is a time and place for that....do it on the MB's or at parties....but not a a concert in front of NJU's. I am no ware near 70, and even I am way to old to be talking that way in public.

I do think the media uses this as a way to trash Clay. There are a whole bunch of musicians who have an older fan base....yet they get complimented for appealing to different age groups. Whenever they do an interview 9 times out of 10 they bypass a younger fan for an older fan. Some of us don't do Clay any favors. On the other hand I don't think just because someone is a young fan they should be allowed to continue OTT behavior without comment just because they are young.....and Clay needs his younger fans.

Oh I don't think you hurt any feelings Muski. It's a good topic discussion and one that I'm sure most of us have had before. For me the age is just part and parcel of the whole thing. Would we care who was scanned in a tv audience if they were all PYTs? And I'm guilty of it as well, being relieved that the Tyra fan was young and cute. I just don't think people know it's the same people so the main issue becomes the audience itself.

Ah, jsut checked my phone and see Fear called me, must have been when I ws donw stairs doing laundry.

Still waiting for 1 just 1 person to reply about the poster, then I can move on with my life.

Detailed Easter Bonnet Recap

Well, as you all know Clay’s voice was like buh-tah today. He and Hannah were like angels singing their voices meshed so wonderfully and they didn’t even flinch as the nun skated right by their faces. There were two knights in attendance to help lift the giant vase/grail unto the lovely blue dressed woman (usually seen naughty in tights). There was audience laughter through out their singing, but not a smirk was cracked. There was a large round of applause when they finished. And everyone took a bow. As the stage went dark, the intro-er said, “too bad they can’t sing. My ears hurt now.” Monday she said that too bad Hannah can’t sing.

But lets talk off topic on the rest of the show to get perspective.

Reality contestants on Broadway were the topic du jour.

The opening scene was Project Broadway – Yes, we started with a fake sister of Heidi Klum and a fake Tim Gunn, introducing the contestants – Tina Tequila, Miss New York and Patti LuPone. When the others objected she was not a reality star, “tim” said, no, she was a real star and they needed someone with talent in this show. Then he introduced the judges – Michael Coors, Nina Garcia and special guest judge Paula Abdul, who came out seal clapping and started to speak when promptly falling on her face. “Tim” said hta was a side effect of insomnia. I swear, I now know another group of people who are as aware of reality programs as I am. Normally, I have no one to share the crap I watch with. These people rock in reality garbage knowledge! Then they did some dances, designed bonnets that were rejected, so “Tim” brought out professionals – real contestants from Project Runway – that woman with the rosettes (who wanted to add rosettes to all the hats), Chris from this season (didn’t realize he was an award winning professional Broadway costume designer), Molan, and the one funny overtly stereotypical Gay guy from 2006. Then it kind of died out.

August Osage County One two punch – odd scenes with weird lessons – ick.

Mary Poppins – Up a lazy river – girl guy dance to recorded music. Nice

Naked Boys Singing – Off Broadway Lament – fantastic take off singing about working brunch to support himself, so he can appear off off Broadway. Who knew some guys would take off their pants and moon us on the buns buns buns part.

Sunday in the Park With George – understudies – Intro ed with a talk about how understudies need to get a chance, then have a dramatic scene with the to little girls from the show playing a man and a pregnant woman. Fantastic and how could the kids lose – won for best skit.

Money Python’s Spamalot – Hannah and Clay and Pam Remler ( naughty under wear girl) and Tony Holds and Andrew Fitch and the uncredited skating nun! So, beautiful – must get DVD just forthis part.

Spring Awakening – there are much worse things I can do – another take off on Grease – auditioning the regular Spring Awakening kids for roles in grease – let’s just say overtly sexual and riotous.

Momix dancer – some people loved her, I was eh

Mamma Mia 2.0 – Mamma Mia was tired of not winning awards, so they thought they would try and selll themselves to an off channel, like legally Blonde did to MTV – so they did the Mamma Mia on BET, the mamma mia on a tela novela, etc.

Bonnets from the road – just a display of bonnets made by touring companies.

The lion King – true colors – this was amazing. It starts out with the legally blonde crew doing a number from their show and two girls talking about how th would should see it as they do and a magical leprechaun change things and suddenly it is legally black and the songs are changed to R&B and gospel

Legally Blonde/Wicked – Feedback - They did a complex dance – I like dance, was board.

Passing strange – passing strangest – another great scene – as two people are discussing the impossibility of the show passing strange, dancers crawl on stage and suddenly attack one of the men and WHOA – suddenly he arises in a red jacket and they start dancing to thriller with more pertinent words.

Hairspray – Bridge over troubled water – This was a bit different, a yuong girl went on stage to talk about her father contracting aides when she was young, but supporting her in the arts and how proud he would be to see her on Broadway stage – then the cast did a nice version of Bridge over Troubled Water

In the Heights – Un Dia Mas – hard to describe this, it was complexly choreographed and sung

Gypsy – little lamb – another riot – it is the young girls birthday in gypsy and she is getting a present – a lamb puppet – a large lamb puppet – as it is walked on stage. The man controlling it starts singing – I am what I am – and eventually everyone on stage (30 people?) have sock puppet lambs and switched to leiderhosen and start tap-dancing - their bonnet was a woman with a charcoal grill on her head and a stuffed lamb being turned on a rotisserie

Rent – here is where all the old and new crew of rent get together on the stage to sing

Doris Eaton Travis – Swinging in the Rain – 104 year old Follies girl goes out on stage and speaks eloquently and starts dancing with her ex cook, new dance partner. She decided to teach him to dance when she was 94 and saw him dancing in the kitchen. Amazing, jealous of her genes.

Finale Help is on the way – Anika Noni Rose – yesterday she said she decided to perform despite having an asthma attack and if a video showed up on you tube, it better state she had an asthma attack!

In between there were speakers, lots of jibes at reality contestants, one directed specifically at Constantine – for reasons unknown, but when the stars of Grease came out to a lukewarm welcome, it became obvious who the jibes were directed at. These are the winners of “the one that you want” and they have not been getting great reviews. At one point though, they were talking about being the butt of a lot of the jokes that night when the guy says, but we know you love us – which was met with dead silence.

Nathan Lane came out earlier to introduce the judges and one of the judges had listed as president of the Judy Garland fan club – well, he said he could not resist it lead to too many jokes and he started realling them off – like “and you say your parents never knew?” I know I can’t reproduce it but he had people rolling on the floor.

Finally the awards came out. I forget what they said before Spamalot, but it seemed to indicate they were impressed with the money raised. Clay and Hannah came from behind the stage, the others came from the audience to a nice round of applause. When Rent won, Clay was happy for them. It was a good day for Clay and for me watching them.

As much as people have mentioned Clay should tour other places, I still claim that the north east has the most people in close proximity and makes touring here more feasible. It is a matter of numbers and people should not get their feelings hurt about it, it is not personal.

I still remember when Clay did his halloismas tour some posters in Arizona said they did not want any stinking Christmas tour, they would go to his next pop tour in their state, well, they are still watiing. In this instance, you have to support him, if you want him to come back, If he thinks he does not have fans some where, he won't go there. it is like buying an album you might not like, so he can continue to record and maybe make one you do like.

Whoa - loving this discussion. Some verra verra good points being made. To all who said it's the music that appeals to the more aged crowd....I applaud you. It's true!!! At the same time, I think our very brave Sir Robin doesn't go with the flow. He's his own man and he's going to do what feels good to him. He's going to sing songs with good melodies that he likes singing and good lyrics that speak to him. I'm so glad he's made the statements about not worrying about radio play. I think for him to pimp himself for a bunch of narrow-minded, self-important deejays would just be wrong! I want this man to win Grammys but I want it to be on his own terms doing what he thinks is best. He has a voice blessed by the angels and I think he could sing anything he wanted to sing - and that's the crux of the matter - he IS singing what he wants to sing!

I have no problem being middle-aged. I mean, what would I do if I did? Can't go back. Sorry. And I can EEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeee and Squeeeeeeeeeeee with the best of them - but I would like to think that I know how to behave in a social situation. I've hugged Clay. I've shaken his hand. But I also have reminded myself that my son was 13 years old when this phenomenal young man was born!!!! So - reality sucks, right? But he makes me smile, he makes me want to be in my twenties again, and I swear I would mow down anyone that I could that was trying to hurt him or make his life miserable. I have NO idea why I feel so motherly and protective toward him but I don't waste time trying to figure it out. I'm just happy he's in my life.

Muski - I think your post was very thought-provoking and good discussion has come out of it. I think I love this board.

I still claim that the north east has the most people in close proximity and makes touring here more feasible

Good Lord Playbiller - do you know what the population of the San Francisco Bay Area is?????

I don't know if you have the most people in close proximity as much as the most concerts in close proximity.

There was a time when I took it personally - but now, I'm numb. There's nothing I can do to change it. But I swear, if he does another North Eastern centric tour again - I'm going to be pissed!!!! That is NOT the way to gain new fans. It's just the same ol' same ol' going to eleventeen concerts!

Population density map of the US:

post-784-1209539598_thumb.jpg

Most of Clay's tours have been built around the areas of greatest density in closest proximity to one another. Rightly or wrongly, it's really obvious this has been the methodology by which it's been decided where he will go.

Interesting discussion - I probably approach this from the opposite side of muski - there are some unique elements in my Clay fandom, but by and large I treat it like any fandom I like - and basically I don't care who the other fans are or what they do or how they arrive, unless it's in some entertaining way. I have been looked at oddly in too many other fandoms because of not being expected stereotypical - either black or female or too young or too old or not cool enough. In any fandom, Trek, computer geek, music...I find there is that extreme 5-10%...and to be honest, they don't represent the majority of the fandom - but are vital to a thing's success. The early adopters of bleeding edge technology - you know the ones who buy the newest and latest and greatest technology as soon as it's put on the market (even if it's crappy but will work with it until it's usable)...the Trek fans who bombarded NASA to get the first shuttle named Enterprise and kept a television series alive for 10 years when no one else cared...the KISS fans who hit their concert in full regalia. There is a reason that every comic book movie (and any derivative sci fi flick) got leaked to the fanboys early - because they can't carry a movie but they can sure as hell undercut it or push it hard to the "must see" level. Every successful artist does have a hard core fanbase that they will see in the front row for their entire career - like canaries in a coal mine - because there is something about that performer that makes him worth the effort.

I love Prince. Have for almost 30 years. Will go and see him in concert whenever he brings his butt to Houston. Never crosses my mind that I would get front row of anything he does because I know I am not a) rich or B) a serious hardcore fan. Have known that since I Want To Be Your Lover. Never bothered me or my other friends who are Prince fans. Hell, it never occurred to me that I could get front row tickets to anything...or to even try until Clay. Some of my best concert memories are from bebopping along in the nosebleeds with my friends.

I guess I'm just believe in the naturally organic nature of the size of Clay's fanbase. If someone hears Clay (and frankly, there really is an amazing amount of opportunities just to hear him) they will like him or not. If their liking him really only survives on who else likes him or they may dislike him because, horror of horrors, some demographic likes him too - he can't win. No one can. That would make him the flavor of the week, and happily I think he's beyond that.

I seriously have lost just about all interest in the "not just us" - because it seems to imply as soon someone likes him, they turn into "just us" (which is disturbing on so many levels) with an implication that they no longer count. One of the things I like about "Team Clay" is that fact that "just us" still seems to matter to them. Everyone doesn't get what they want - but then again, I get as much as I want so I'm personally happy.

Me and my friends are among those who do take up space in the first couple of rows on a fairly regular basis. As far as I can tell, Clay appears to be happy to see us. I have yet to see an eyeroll or the "OMG, why are they there AGAIN?" vibe from him - though it appears periodically in the fandom. And as unoffensive as some people try and make it (and frankly some others work on being offensive as possible), well, we still feel a touch resentful. Well, I feel only a touch. Because it's not like we plan to stop. Because this is how we have decided to show our appreciation for the talent of one Clay Aiken. By paying what we are willing to pay (premium or not - more than anything else, it's time and effort) to enjoy a show in the best way possible. And that happens to include traveling. And no, not everyone can travel. But hell, not everyone can do everything. That's just a fact of life. A lot of people can't do a lot of things. It's not going to stop me from doing what I can.

Off the top of my head, I looked at the last Rolling Stones World Tour - the North American stops. They did 52 stops in the East - and 28 in the "West" - Ten of which were in California (and six of those in the LA area). Over two years. It's not just Clay. I'd say just about any touring company takes population density into consideration. Because if they don't, they're stupid. But hell, I went to see Clay in Grand Prairie, North Dakota. Frankly, I believe there are real difficulties in touring extensively in the West that Team Clay takes into consideration. But then again, I don't think Team Clay is just hating on the western half of the U.S. and Canada. I'm a little annoyed at the idea that new people don't show up at Clay's concerts wherever the hell they are - because they do. The "same ole" people will show up on the West Coast as well. Including me and mine.

If others don't want to see something 20 times, well, good for them. If I like something, and get something different (or even the same) out of it, I like repeating experiences. I reread books. I have my favorite movies that I'll rewatch. There is some music I've been listening to for 40 years.

what's cracking me up even more is the caption...

Clay Aiken and friend leaving the New Amsterdam theatre after going to see the musical 'The Lion King'

:cryingwlaughter:

LOTS of pictures floating around out there, (all yummy) but I must leave for work...I'll just post this one thing...bottle...take a look....maybe he was there when we were too???!! agh!!!

from Notacanuck at the CH

From PageSix Celebrity Sightings

Clay Aiken

houston and bowery

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 @ 10 AM

I saw Clay Aiken at whole foods! I had to take a second look because he looks different then on AI. He is blond now! He was very friendly and was signing a few autographs. He was with some chic with an accent, who kinda stood to the side waiting for him.

Here is another article from the Just jared site:

http://justjared.buzznet.com/2008/04/30/cl...iken-lion-king/

entitled: Clay Aiken loves the Lion King

I think they were going for another meaning as the short article goes from talking about his "date" for the Lion King, (I am sure he and Hannah are chuckling over that one) to quickly talking about the song "The Real Me" from his album. Well good publicity for the album.

And Clay looks yummy, very, very handsome.

Good Morning Everyone,

Love waking up to fresh clack in the morning!

1 Day until Clay is on VH1 Countdown!

4 Days until The Closing Night of Spamalot!

6 Days until On My Way Here is Here!

7 Days until Clay is on GMA!

8 Days until Clay is on The View!

11 Days until Clay is on Leno!

15 Days until The Climmel!

18 Days until Craig Ferguson!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

Coordinating tour dates and venue/location is not straightforward and can be very expensive. I wonder how many people are in Clay's touring entourage. There are a lot of expenses that are not obvious, that is why concert tickets are expensive and why they have to coordinate the dates and venues in terms of suitability, practicality and availability so that it doesn't become something that just isn't financially viable. For example, if Clay's touring schedule meant he would be in location X on (say) September 15 and 16, the venues that are suitable in location X for his kind of concert, in terms of seating capacity etc, may not be available for those dates as they may have been booked and paid for in advance by someone else. It is not possible to get the perfect touring schedule because so many factors are involved and can create massive headaches for the organizers.

From what I understand, Clay wants to keep the ticket prices reasonable so that it doesn't become an experience only for the wealthy elite. In LTS, Clay commented on Madonna's priciest concert tickets costing more than $300 etc but I don't think Clay realized back then in 2004 just how expensive it would be to take a theatrical production like a Madonna concert on the road. (Of course, if I had $300 to spend on a concert, I know which one I'd be willing to spend it ALL on!)

And KAndre, I'm like you with regards to re-reading my favourite books, re-watching a movie I've seen several times and need I say it, watching the same Clack over and over and over......

ETA I just love the new banner... mind you all the banners have been amazing, I am always gob-smacked at the talent in this forum.

Here is another article from the Just jared site:

http://justjared.buzznet.com/2008/04/30/cl...iken-lion-king/

entitled: Clay Aiken loves the Lion King

I think they were going for another meaning as the short article goes from talking about his "date" for the Lion King, (I am sure he and Hannah are chuckling over that one) to quickly talking about the song "The Real Me" from his album. Well good publicity for the album.

And Clay looks yummy, very, very handsome.

Not only does their hair look alike, but so does their eyeliner................ :imgtongue:

I really want to comment in depth on what muski posted, but I don't have time now. (STOP THAT CHEERING!!!)

Suffice it to say I agree with what she said and to me its not the actual age of some fans, its their behaviour. I cringed a lot waiting to get into the studio at QVC - and wanted to slide under my chair a few times in the studio. It wasn't anywhere near the majority of people there, but they were the ones who most made their presence known.

And its these fans that often cry the loudest about expanding his fanbase and getting younger fans, yet these fans would never want to share.

And new fans would probably be hesitant to go to events like concerts if they thought most of Clay's fans acted like those fans.

And its sad because IMO they perpetuate the stereotypical Clay fan image and its not accurate when it comes to the majority of his fans.

Now I must get moving or I will be late to take my car in for service in time for me to get to work on time.