#51: You go on with your bad self, Mr. Aiken

Thread Title Poll  

62 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA

• Clay is stil around, getting bigger balls, better hair, and broader shoulders.
    • "He doesn't need the spotlight. He just glows."
    • Simon Says: Shut Up And Sing 2 (Learning to keep mah foot outta mah mouth)
    • Clay Aiken: Just like Timex...takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'

Not that it matters but don't really know if that's true. I think Season 2 maintained the most viewers. Don't care enough to look it up though.

Ok just took a second -- LA Times

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracke...can-ido-20.html

But the match-up between Cook and Archuleta evidently proved irresistible. In fact, the two-hour episode was the third most-watched "Idol" finale, after the 2006 showdown between Taylor Hicks and Katharine McPhee (36.4 million) and the 2003 face-off between Ruben Studdard and Clay Aiken (38.1 million).

Last year's contest, between Jordin Sparks and Blake Lewis, drew 30.7 million.

gotta love the media...

Thanks for finding that, couchie. Thought so!

This isn't a comment on the AI results, just the guests on tonight's finale:

Too many old guys! Rod Stewart? Queen? Kiss? Lionel Richie? Santana? C'mon - book somebody who's not yet eligible for an AARP card next time!

Too many old guys! Rod Stewart? Queen? Kiss? Lionel Richie? Santana? C'mon - book somebody who's not yet eligible for an AARP card next time!

BWAH

it's so funny when worlds collide...am working on this author/book project. And basically we've put together a test for our team. And I'm taking it first to make sure I know what I'm doing..and one of the authors that popped up..out of tens of thousands is my cousin. heee. I enjoyed that.

Hee I didn't watch any of AI and to tell you the truth I don't care who wins. I wouldn't recognize Kris if he was on tv and I'm tired of the OTT Adamizing!

Strangely enough, all the "adamizing" prompted me to watch last night (well that, and my head would not stop pounding, so I was being a couch potato, and there was nothing else on). LOL. Anyways, I thought both guys were quite talented, but man, didn't that coronation song suck?

TOTALLY horrible.

Paula seriously needs to step down, she was having a hard time making any sense, and it was pretty obvious to me that her lines were scripted, the way she was tripping over them. The new judge (the one who co-wrote the sucky song) was totally annoying, the way she was raving on and on...
Overall, Paula has seemed less drugged up this year and the annoying one has been Kara. I don't know ANYONE who likes her.

I don't feel the urge to go and download their songs or follow them around the country, though. Sowwy. ;)

Me either but I'm gonna go to Hamilton to see the Idol show...alone apparently...

Idol Spoiler... I don't know how to do the black boxes (I need a lesson) , so you're getting white on white and highlight OK?

So Kris won. Felt like deja vu...where the guy that SHOULD have won...didn't...except this time it's not the same emotional investment but still a feeling of...that's wrong. I had this sneaking feeling. I could tell that Adam had a feeling to...even though Kris didn't seem to. It was obvious that Kris thought that Adam should have won. Kris seemed shocked. Adam didn't. Adam knew that he had a shitload of anti-gays voting against him and a ton of fundamentalist "gay is wrong" Christians voting against him and I knew that all of Danny's voters would switch over to Kris.

BWAH

Good Lord, those guys are my age, no wonder I don't watch this stupid show!

Thanks for the "CORRECT" information........I couldn't find the numbers in my files. How you get organized enough to find info like that in a minute is beyond me......but I'm sure glad you can. :clap: I'm impressed !!!!!

Results are in for AI.....I'll keep it to myself as some of you might still be watching. Let's just say ......I'm happy. :cocktail: I cheated and checked in for the last 15 minutes......2 hours is too much...IMO

:Iluvclaysbutt:

Well, I can't think of Queen without Freddie Mercury, and he's been dead for a long time now. I have a feeling there's a reason why those geriatrics are in the line up ...

American Idol outcome? The best part?

Inevitably, Clay Aiken's name, front and center.

Betcha, betcha!

However,

I'm not looking forward to the equally inevitable bitter generalizations about voter motives. Blech.

And yeah...didn't like the coronation song any better tonight. LOL

Canfly

I think that your assessment of why someone won is off. The person who won did really have fans voting for him (like me) because they liked his music. But I wanted him to lose because I knew people would make it into something it isn't.

_The Gala looks like it will have a nice turn out. $250 + airfare + hotel = not cheap enough for me! but everyone else have fun.

hell yes..I LOVE an underdog. GO MAGIC!

OMG!!!!! When I first peeked, they were behind by 16 points or something!!!!!!!

Heeee.......first playoffs they ever got to, Chicago - Michael and Scotty - swept them in the finals. The next year, the Rockets swept them in the first round. I didn't know they were underdogs this year, but I would have loved to see Horace Grant and Penny win a championship. Especially Horace.

AI? Yeah, I did not realise that any one singer was so fantabulously perfectly appealing to everyone that there just had to be non-musical reasons to not lurve. Hey, hopefully next time I buy a CD no one will pop up and ask me to justify why I DIDN'T buy any of the other 10,000 CDs. And I have seen Freddy Mercury in person, and have never seen anyone remotely like Freddy since then.

DJS you are a mess. Part of the fun of sports is the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach when you team is losing. You must feel the agony of defeat in order to appreciate the thrill of victory. :cryingwlaughter:

The Magic aren't really the underdog in reality as they beat Cleveland 2 out of 3 times this year. But they are the underdogs since Lebron James is the greatest basketball player ever and he will will his team to victory - so say the sportscasters. Bottom line is Orlando beat my Lakers twice this year so I think I'd rather play Cleveland in the finals - IF they make it to the finals themselves.

DJS you are a mess. Part of the fun of sports is the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach when you team is losing.

Bwah!!!!!! Actually, it is the certainty that they will lose if I happen to be watching and they are winning, especially if they have a comfortable lead. If they are losing, I can't make it any worse.

I have watched 20 point leads disappear in seconds, just by the other team fouling Shaq 87 times. Plus those days, someone could nail Shaq's foot to the floor with a nail gun, in plain sight, and Shaq would catch the foul for getting blood on the floor.

00lsee, what did you mean about Clay's name being front and center?

The inevitable comparison between this outcome and AI2...so many were dead certain of one outcome, which didn't happen. Also, the discussion of actual or perceived sexuality. I just think it's likely Clay Aiken(!!!) :) will be mentioned in tomorrow's (today's!) news articles about the finale.

Publicity. That's whut ah mint. :)

00lsee, what did you mean about Clay's name being front and center?

The inevitable comparison between this outcome and AI2...so many were dead certain of one outcome, which didn't happen. Also, the discussion of actual or perceived sexuality. I just think it's likely Clay Aiken(!!!) :) will be mentioned in tomorrow's (today's!) news articles about the finale.

Publicity. That's whut ah mint. :)

Yeah, ITA, I bet Clays name will feature in a lot of the stories.

Well, my little corner of the world has been declared a natural disaster area due to rain & wind leading to flooding and injuries and death from flying debris. Lots of power outages, road closures and all the beaches are closed. Funnily enough our house/street is not too bad. Though I did have a rather thrilling drive home yesterday!!

Claytonic, are you safe and dry?

The situations seem a lot different to me. Clay is compared to everyone who loses so I'm sure he will be this year as well. The differences I see is that Clay wasn't the judges choice nor did the media in mass expect him to win. So nobody was really upset but his fans. To most people it was a close call that anyone could win with Ruben slightly favored. From chatting with Ansa, I hear Kris or is it Chris was never in the bottom two. That says a little something about his fan base. Did they say what the difference was in the vote count? The thing about Idol is that the truth is revealed sooner or later. I remember the time when so many online thought Carrie was the third most popular of her season. Anyway they'll both be fine. Don't know about my mom though :cryingwlaughter: I didn't have the heart to tell her although I knew before the show started here.

Night FCA

Ah, thanks, 00lsee...:blowkiss

A few questions:

1. Evidently, AI really liked Clay's surprise in AI5. Since Kara basically did the same thing tonight,surprising bikini girl. WTF?

2. Danny Gokey couldn't find a DIFFERENT Lionel Richie song other than "Hello" to sing? Didn't somebody already sing the shit out of that in Season 2?

3. "All Night Long" as a group number with Lionel? Didn't a different group already do that song in Season 2?

Do I detect a theme here, folks?

I agree that the media treatment of this outcome is predictable. And so very unnecessary. Both of these guys have a bright future. Hell, the guy from Queen almost signed Adam on stage, for crying out loud! :hahaha: I think both Kris and Adam seem like good guys, so I wish them both the best.

Too bad they can't just enjoy the success right away. Instead, no doubt we'll be bombarded by the pundits' analyses of why Adam did NOT win more than of why Kris DID win. And yeah---also no doubt there will be asshats who'll bring up the sexuality card and then inevitably bring in Clay's name. Two runners-up; two homosexuals.

Bill O'Reilly is probably orgasmic with glee.

Well, my little corner of the world has been declared a natural disaster area due to rain & wind leading to flooding and injuries and death from flying debris. Lots of power outages, road closures and all the beaches are closed. Funnily enough our house/street is not too bad. Though I did have a rather thrilling drive home yesterday!!

Claytonic
, are you safe and dry?

I had been wondering if you've been affected because the worst of it is at your location, the news looks awful. It seems to be one thing after another. :cry4: Agh , one minute it's a drought, next minute we have floods. Why can't there be a balance?

Strong winds and rain have created some havoc for me. I have about ten trees, and one of them is uprooted, fortunately it's not one of my favorites or I'd be very upset. I have a huge gum tree and am constantly worried about it because every time there is a major storm, the TV news will show at least a couple of houses with a gum tree lying across the roof. I've had koalas up this gum so it is very special but it is a constant worry when there is a storm.

Regarding the Clay and Adam comparisons... I can't see the similarities at all because while some MAY have suspected he was gay, for the most part, Clay was regarded as a straight, southern Christian boy who was planning a career as a special ed teacher and was talked into auditioning for AI. His performances were NOT flamboyant, unlike Adam. Adam was also 'loud and proud' about being gay, i.e. he may not have shouted it from the rooftops but he certainly was very open about it. Unlike Clay, he was already a professional artist and AI was to accelerate his career, whereas Clay seemed to have the attitude that he'd go with the flow with AI and when it all ended, he'd return to his 'real' job. Where is the similarity?

ETA: Actually, the only similarity could be that Simon will sign them BOTH up immediately and release their CDs the way they did it for Ruben and Clay. (I have no doubt Adam's contract that been waiting for his signature for quite a while)

Where is the similarity?

Heh, I assume that is a rhetorical question, as far as the media goes!

And I don't agree at all about that "for the most part, Clay was regarded as a straight, southern Christian boy ", again, as far as the media is concerned - the MFing Advocate was right there hollering at Clay, asking him if he was gay, at that press conference after the finale. Simon said is Clay gay? Just look at him! The Clay is Gay stuff started fairly early on here.

Clay's name evidently brings x number of reliable hits, too.

Plus I believe some idiots really do think that, since Clay's entire fan base did not desert him when he came out, then they would all love Adam too, because of course the gay thing is more important than the voice.

I would not be surprised to hear crap about Clay NOT being loud and proud about a most personal matter, about how Adam ONLY lost because of some huge backlash, about how well the second place person does, sometimes, just look at Clay Aiken etc. Even though the whole thing is a crapshoot. I can still remember how cocky Taylor was, right after his win.

I didn't vote for anybody, and I really only liked Anoop, so it is kinda just academic to me. I don't care for Adam's style, and that is the screaming, nothing else. I thought Kris had a beautiful voice. Both guys will find out how many fans they really have when their CDs drop. The media and rival fan camps stuff is just blabbering.

Heeeee.....watched the last couple of minutes of the Magic game this morning, and it mirrored the AI finale, in a way. The Great LeBron James put Cleveland ahead with less than a minute to go, the announcers had already given us "The Keys to the Win", and the Magic evidently didn't get the news, they hung in there and won. At least Marv Albert, in the middle of the pontificating, said Yesssssss! when the Magic sank the game-winning basket. And LeBron, his coach, and the fans were still standing around going Huh? when TV coverage ended. The loss will be ascribed to a cramp in James' leg, even though at one point the Magic were around 20 points behind.

Man, I forgot how much I love watching all the stuff that goes on in a basketball game.

After a drought so bad that I was getting fire hazard condition alerts all day every day for a year, we are now having what seems to be our traditional rain and lightning and thunder stuff every day, all day.

Just in time for my grandson's class trip to Adventure Island.