#51: You go on with your bad self, Mr. Aiken

Thread Title Poll  

62 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA

• Clay is stil around, getting bigger balls, better hair, and broader shoulders.
    • "He doesn't need the spotlight. He just glows."
    • Simon Says: Shut Up And Sing 2 (Learning to keep mah foot outta mah mouth)
    • Clay Aiken: Just like Timex...takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'

I love Adam, but that doesn't mean that Clay needs to love him too--and if all he had to judge by was Ring of Fire (OMG, that WAS awful), then I can see why he wasn't impressed. LOL. Clay is entitled to his opinion, just like everyone else.

Glad to hear he's out of the country.

And 00lsee, I think there must be a demonstrable difference in the reactions of original online fans vs those who came later. You guys who went through the long wars have developed a reflex as to what will set off a chain reaction in the fandom. I wince that you must wince, because I remain as ever in these matters, ignorant. Or, for you who say idget, I'm ignernt.

Bwah...just wait a bit...you'll detect predictable patterns, too. LOL

Yes, there are lots of Christians with open minds and big hearts who are anything but bigots, but the situation that developed regarding Proposition 8 is enough to convince me that there was enough homophobia across the board voting against the idea of a gay American Idol. "We" aren't as tolerant as "we" would like to believe. JMO

I don't know who "we" are, but I just disagree. I don't see the Idol vote as indicative of anything beyond a vote in the 8th season of Idol. I rarely watch the show anymore, although I don't have a problem with it, I just don't have time. And I certainly don't vote, but I wouldn't have voted for Adam under any circumstances, because he disqualified himself with his butchered version of One, which I did see. And even though I left a homophobe husband over Elton John, I can't be counted on to vote for the gay guy. I don't see the Idol vote as a "cause."

On a completely different note, I think I've detected that a good number of people, especially boomer-types, are always anticipating the next Elvis, the next Beatles, the next Dylan, and I believe this to be a futile search. The music options are now pretty much unlimited, the delivery systems reach us from the sources of our choosing, and tastes are sophisticated, diverse and individualized. There may be bands and singers that have large followings and more fame than they know what do with -- but for any of them to be THE ONE. Ummm, no. I believe the Elvis thing to be a phenomena of times past. And ... I think that's a good thing. At least an indication of some evolution on the planet.

And 00lsee, I think there must be a demonstrable difference in the reactions of original online fans vs those who came later. You guys who went through the long wars have developed a reflex as to what will set off a chain reaction in the fandom. I wince that you must wince, because I remain as ever in these matters, ignorant. Or, for you who say idget, I'm ignernt.

Just can't add much to that - and it was not like Prop 8 passed with 100% voting one way or the other.

AI is just a TV show.

Adam is just another singer.

I don't even think the vote was any kind of statement, as Clay says. In fact, for every person who theoretically rebelled against the judges' pimpage, there may have been a person who wanted to climb on what was supposed to be the winning train.

Maybe the voting is more meaningful in smaller countries or something?

As an "original online fan", I do tend to be dismissive of anything applied across-the-board to "us" or "we" or whatever. And will continue to be dismissive.

And predicting patterns? Bwahahaha! Sometimes I can correctly predict the posters, for and against something.

I do resent the implication that if Adam was straight, I would like him and/or vote for him. Nope. Has nothing to do with it. Maybe roll my eyes at the implication would be more accurate.

I love Adam, but that doesn't mean that Clay needs to love him too--and if all he had to judge by was Ring of Fire (OMG, that WAS awful), then I can see why he wasn't impressed. LOL. Clay is entitled to his opinion, just like everyone else.

Glad to hear he's out of the country.

I don't understand the fans saying " but you need to listen to another song, you didn't give him a chance"". I do the same thing. I'll hear a song & if I don't like it ,the singer doesn't get a second listen from me. He says he doesn't read any board but the OFC but if I was him and had been reading on some Clay boards to see all the slobbering over AL I'd likely be a tad pissed. Who knows, maybe it doesn't bother him a bit. I don't think a Clay fan can't like other singers but the tongue bath AL has received on some boards, even his own has really bothered me. We wanted him to blog & hurray he starts blogging but now some are pissed because he states his opinion. Some people are never satisfied. Sigh

What really discourages me (and I posted this on the CH) is that many of these complainers are not even members of the OFC, yet complain about a post that he made private for the members. I realize that some can't afford a membership but then why blame Clay? You all here have been quite nice.

I don't know nothing about either guy so talk amongst yourself. I'll be back later. :da_best:

Paraphrasing from OFC:

There is a twitter that YKW got booted out of the Idol theater last night.

Oh, puh-leeze!!! (not directed at you merrieeee, but the twitter-er-er-er). Could my eyes roll ANY further back in my head without damage???

I just love so many things about Clay Aiken. And now I love that he feels free to speak his mind -- whether half, or two-thirds, or ninety-percent of the fans agree or disagree with what he has to say.

<snip>

I have learned to enjoy the variety of opinion in Clay Nation. Whatever Clay does, and however he wears his hair (color and style, long or short, even Something About Mary hair), and whatever clothes he puts on his body, and whether he wears glasses or not, or has stubble or not, or sideburns or not, and all combinations of the above -- somebody's going to absolutely LOVE IT and think he's never looked better. How lucky can one man be -- no matter what he does, intentionally or by chance, he's going to make somebody's day. That's all that should be important, not whether it's my particular favorite, but that someone somewhere is in HEAVEN. Truly I've seen some pictures of Clay that made me wince, and yet somebody will come on and be gasping at the gorgeousness of the man in the same pictures. That's really extraordinary. And I have learned to embrace the pleasure others enjoy, even when I may see him differently. In fact, I've learned to love that.

:yeahthat:

Paraphrasing from OFC:

Oh, puh-leeze!!! (not directed at you merrieeee, but the twitter-er-er-er). Could my eyes roll ANY further back in my head without damage???

Well mine rolled right out of my head, onto the floor and outta the door!

I may never get them back :cry4: What.a.crock.

Better than ANY tweet, Lynda Loveland stated on the air that Clay is out of the country! That woulda been some feat, eh? JFHC

I have learned to enjoy the variety of opinion in Clay Nation. Whatever Clay does, and however he wears his hair (color and style, long or short, even Something About Mary hair), and whatever clothes he puts on his body, and whether he wears glasses or not, or has stubble or not, or sideburns or not, and all combinations of the above -- somebody's going to absolutely LOVE IT and think he's never looked better. How lucky can one man be -- no matter what he does, intentionally or by chance, he's going to make somebody's day. That's all that should be important, not whether it's my particular favorite, but that someone somewhere is in HEAVEN. Truly I've seen some pictures of Clay that made me wince, and yet somebody will come on and be gasping at the gorgeousness of the man in the same pictures. That's really extraordinary. And I have learned to embrace the pleasure others enjoy, even when I may see him differently. In fact, I've learned to love that.

heee so innocent. loved reading your posts today.

NCGran -- totally agree. When I don't like someone I don't listen to them until I do. There is too much choice out there to do that. People give opinions on seeing one thing all the time. As far as I'm concerned he can too. As many times as I try to tell my sister that the musical with Nicole Kidman in it that we turned off after the first 5 mintues actually gets really good if you get through the first ten minutes - she just won't watch it. :hahaha: Clay knows what he says will be posted in other places. He even took it out of the thread and put in a blog which tells me he doesn't care about any fall out. Good for him. LOL that he said that Broadway actress up for an award was horrible and nobody flinched - or maybe they did lol. I guess cuz it's the sacred cow of AI he's supposed to take the high road.

SOOOOOOOOO is Clay really in Paris? I'm nosy... I hope so!

This AI article is interesting

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-6-the-...n-american-idol

With the exception of the awful coronation song, he had barely a single pitchy moment the entire season. He also had barely a single memorable power note or vocal flourish all season. He wasn't the anti-Adam, more like the anti-Matt Giraud, who kept forcing his limited voice into places it couldn't go. While Adam was loved by many people, liked by some and hated by lots, Kris was loved by some, liked by nearly everybody and hated by virtually nobody. That's the path to "American Idol" stardom this season and I happen to believe that it was a reaction in Kris' favor and not against Adam.

Yes, there are lots of Christians with open minds and big hearts who are anything but bigots, but the situation that developed regarding Proposition 8 is enough to convince me that there was enough homophobia across the board voting against the idea of a gay American Idol. "We" aren't as tolerant as "we" would like to believe. JMO

I don't know who "we" are, but I just disagree. I don't see the Idol vote as indicative of anything beyond a vote in the 8th season of Idol. I rarely watch the show anymore, although I don't have a problem with it, I just don't have time. And I certainly don't vote, but I wouldn't have voted for Adam under any circumstances, because he disqualified himself with his butchered version of One, which I did see. And even though I left a homophobe husband over Elton John, I can't be counted on to vote for the gay guy. I don't see the Idol vote as a "cause."

Since you are clearly NOT homophobic, I don't understand why you would assume I was talking about how someone like you would vote if you were to vote in AI when there is a gay contestant earmarked for victory.

I was talking about the kind of homophobic person who may possibly not even care about AI, but had heard about an openly gay contestant who was poised to take the title and how the judges had all but crowned him. I heard someone once say "never, never underestimate the level of hatred harbored by homophobic people, they can't stand it that there is already an unacceptable (to them) level of gay acceptance in the entertainment industry." The internet allows them to network amongst themselves, and carry out their agenda.

The net has some very dark 'communities' ... they don't feature in our lives and so the vast majority of us have no idea they exist, or that they exist at the extreme level that they do. I would never have believed it myself except that I am on various email contact lists, some of which I have no idea how I ended up on, and rather than unsubscribing and pretending they don't exist, I decided to periodically read what they have to say, and I tell you, it is chilling what goes on in the minds of some people. Pure hatred against anything that is foreign (in terms of 'unfamiliar') to them. It is fitting that the word 'phobia' is in the word that describes an anti-gay person because the absolute and extreme opposite of love is not hate, but fear.

ETA: I used the term "we" because at the end of the day, each of us, in the corner of our own little world, make up the bigger picture of how social attitudes change. There has been vast changes, VAST, but it isn't as progressive at the level some people like to believe it is.

EATA: Last year, someone who knows nothing about Clay except that he was in AI and that I like him, sent me a YouTube video of one of Clay's less than impressive vocals (I wish I could remember which one it was) and I sent back his AI performances of UM, BOTW, Solitaire and said something along the lines of "don't judge on one performance". Another person sent me that performance of Clay doing a fun send up of Madonna, Justin Timberlake etc, except they didn't send it to me for the same reason a Clay fan might have. With some people, I don't even bother explaining. You see, it cuts both ways. One thing I constantly try to remind myself .. don't jump to conclusions, give people a chance and maybe another chance ... because no one is perfect.

From getclayaiken:

some dude on DailyBooth posted a pic from backstage at David Foster and Friends.

found by BOUNCER at CV:

"i told you i met clay...."

backstageatDFandF.jpg

(am I the only one trying to see what's sticking out of his pocket?)

Link is here: http://dailybooth.com/stuiy/365857

CUUUUUUUUTE!

Clay Aiken, the new terrorist LOL. And that's all I say because I have very little patience. I hope he is having a blast in Paris or wherever he happens to be.

Totally agree about Twitter. Someone says they saw something and it turns into the truth. But I guess that's the same as blogs. There's really no vetting of information anymore. It will be interesting to see where all of this leads in the next 10 years.

Just read this over on CV. Perhaps he really is in France? And here I thought you guys were just having fun with it .... :P

Just dropping in to give a WRAL report. Bill and Lynda were talking about Idol and Bill mentioned that conspicuously missing from the Idol alumni were Clay and Kelly Clarkson. Lynda went onto add that Clay was going to talk to them but he was out of the country so I guess that explains why he was up blogging at 3am! :polishnails:

Kelly Clarkson was mentoring on a different Idol show. Seeing Clay is out of the country has anyone heard if he is doing another tour for Unicef?

I LOVED Clay's blog, not because I agree with every word because I don't but it's because I want to know what HE is thinking. I respect his honesty and part of what he said is something he's been saying for years.

ITA. I actually quite like Adam's voice (it's really quite original), but found him a bit difficult to watch. Kris, OTOH, has a nice sound, is not all that original, but is a bit easier to watch, for me. He'll be a great American Idol. I did not watch the results last night but was not surprised when I read about them. Already I've been approached by one very up.set Adam fan here in the office this morning, and I've had to give her the "calm down, it'll be the best thing that ever happened to him" speech. Hee. I speak from experience.

I read his blog a few times and I think I posted this at the OFC too if you take out the contestants names the thing he has said about AI the show are mostly things we have heard Clay say in interviews before.

Paraphrasing from OFC:

TOTW

What really discourages me (and I posted this on the CH) is that many of these complainers are not even members of the OFC, yet complain about a post that he made private for the members. I realize that some can't afford a membership but then why blame Clay? You all here have been quite nice.

I don't know nothing about either guy so talk amongst yourself. I'll be back later. :da_best:

The MODS at the OFC said Clay's QandA could be posted on other boards as long as they were word for word (I wonder why?)

From getclayaiken:

some dude on DailyBooth posted a pic from backstage at David Foster and Friends.

found by BOUNCER at CV:

"i told you i met clay...."

backstageatDFandF.jpg

(am I the only one trying to see what's sticking out of his pocket?)

Link is here: http://dailybooth.com/stuiy/365857

Given that sign posted above in the picture I'm suprised they allowed Mr. Aiken on the premises considering just how much he's packin'!! :whistling-1:

ba-dum-bum

The MODS at the OFC said Clay's QandA could be posted on other boards as long as they were word for word (I wonder why?)

Really? Is that posted somewhere on OFC? I think I missed it. I sure haven't seen any full quotes, so maybe I'm not the only one that didn't know about it?

Yes! They got the idiots that have been shooting at cars on a major interstate. innocent until proven guilty blah blah blah :cryingwlaughter:

Clay is allowing his Q&As or just his latest blog to be posted. Personally I think the Q&As are good incentive for the fan club.

Really? Is that posted somewhere on OFC? I think I missed it. I sure haven't seen any full quotes, so maybe I'm not the only one that didn't know about it?

Yes, the MOD named Butterflyshine said it. I could find the post but it would probably take me a while.

ETA sorry Couchie we must have been typing at the same time. The Q and A was all I read it was before the blog but the answer was also posted in the Q and A area so I am not sure about that question.

Good Morning Everyone,

148 Days until The BAF Gala! :yahoo:

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

tribeca, I read some and post some at the OFC but never saw this. I wonder why GGB at the CH had to get permission to post the question his blog answered then? :8:

I can understand how those really interested in Adam are upset he lost. But really, why take their anger out on Clay? Maybe because no one cares and it is easy to rile up Clay fans. Those gazillion articles about AI are rapidly disappearing from the news sites I read. Maybe Clay was bothered that this entertainment show event was knocking the real news off the front pages. As if whoever won AI will upset the stock market or make unemployment decrease. As if!

I really hope that is a misunderstanding. The Q&A has been a great OFC benefit, so I'd hate to see the answers quoted across various boards for nothing. As much as I join the OFC to support Clay, it is nice when there is some little perk as well, since we don't have any concert pre-sales or meet & greets this year. And these Q&As have been a great perk!

TGIF!!!

I really hope that is a misunderstanding. The Q&A has been a great OFC benefit, so I'd hate to see the answers quoted across various boards for nothing. As much as I join the OFC to support Clay, it is nice when there is some little perk as well, since we don't have any concert pre-sales or meet & greets this year. And these Q&As have been a great perk!

TGIF!!!

I agree....and I strongly suspect it IS a misunderstanding. I suspect it might actually reference the question that was asked and that Clay responded to, in respect to AI ONLY....not all the questions/answers. If that question ONLY were allowed to travel, it might help to clarify the response. :shrug: Dunno, though.

Regarding that "second listen' thing - like Couchie says, there is so much entertainment out there that there is no "need" to keep listening until you change your mind - it is not like, for instance, I am a type 2 diabetic refusing to use the only insulin available because it has Adam's picture on it.

I am sure Adam will have a stellar career.

Hey, every year it is somebody new. People move on, it is natural. "We" just don't move on all together.

I am really pissed off, though, because Clay never mentioned Anoop or Allison - he must be jellus!!!!!!!! No excuses!!!!!!

What really annoys me is the people who read his blog but didn't "read" his blog! How can you comment on one part and not get what he is saying?

He has been misquoted so many times it isn't funny. He has been accused of just about everything under the sun except that he could be homophobic!

The guy gets treated so bad on his own board I just can't believe it. You'd think he came out again by the way some are reacting and these people are fans?