#51: You go on with your bad self, Mr. Aiken

Thread Title Poll  

62 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA

• Clay is stil around, getting bigger balls, better hair, and broader shoulders.
    • "He doesn't need the spotlight. He just glows."
    • Simon Says: Shut Up And Sing 2 (Learning to keep mah foot outta mah mouth)
    • Clay Aiken: Just like Timex...takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'

Snakes? Bwahahahah! Boyfriend might be afraid of snakes but he sure isn't afraid of much else. Our thread title has never seemed more appropriate! No doubt it will bite him on the ass somehow, but then again, what doesn't? So yeah, you go on with your bad self, Mr. Aiken!

Although I haven't watched AI or even been remotely interested in it in years, I loved reading that blog. Clay will inevitably get some of the second place finisher's fans up in arms but so what. I would love to read more of his writing. Intelligent and witty, my two favorite things. :clap:

Belonging to the fan club is one of the most entertaining investments I've made this year. :cryingwlaughter:

If people choose to run with the one line about 'bleeding ears', then yeah, they'll make this blog all about Adam. It's funny because that is also the only episode of Idol I saw this season (because my BFF from NC was visiting and she still loves the show, so we watched). It was certainly (IMO) all he described. (ETA: though I really give Adam marks for being unique. And truly, his is the only performance I remember about the show besides the bizarre tattoo-girl and her wtf?? performance) But really, the blog is about the Idol machine and the obvious pimping and manipulation. I don't watch the show - and my exposure to entertainment news is limited to the 30 minutes my alarm clock radio runs in the morning and the 'headlines' on my home-page. And I was convinced the show was over weeks ago and Adam was the winner.

I personally don't believe that 'America' chooses the winner. Never have, never will (that's my opinion and nothing will convince me otherwise). I believe the votes are one factor in them choosing who the winner will be. Even this 'upset' feels contrived to me. Both men are what they are. They have the fanbase they're going to have and they're going to sell what they're going to sell. Winning or losing at this point won't change any of that. What AI can control is the story, and that is all about the show. This year's story could have been 'the first gay (is he? isn't he? will he talk???) Idol' and all that entailed. Or it could be 'the underdog comes back to take it all, and look, see? we don't control all with our pimping ways. Power to the People!'

It's all smoke and mirrors, IMO. I wish both of the guys the best of luck and all the success they can possibly achieve. I wish Idol exactly what they deserve, also.

Good Morning Everyone,

I just love that man...he is so damned fearless...just lives his life; speaks his mind and the hell with the critics and haters...and I so agree with him on AI!

149 Days until The BAF Gala! :yahoo:

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

I love it when Clay gets riled up about stuff! You go, dewd!

I was disappointed with the outcome of AI last night for about 5 minutes (seriously, Adam's recording of "Mad World" is haunting and beautiful and I'll be listening to it for a long time) but I'm over it and ready to move on to "So You Think You Can Dance" tonight.

Hey, isn't he supposed to be in Paris? And if so, doesn't he have better things to do than making heads explode?

Oh.

Wait.

Nebbermind.

:lilredani:

(eta: the snake answer makes it sound like he is at home... hmmm)

And I don't agree at all about that "for the most part, Clay was regarded as a straight, southern Christian boy ", again, as far as the media is concerned - the MFing Advocate was right there hollering at Clay, asking him if he was gay, at that press conference after the finale. Simon said is Clay gay? Just look at him! The Clay is Gay stuff started fairly early on here.

Again, I think that depends on where you live and who you "hang" with. In my neck of the woods, almost everyone I talked to thought of him as claytonic did, with the Christianity thing being the overriding factor. I'm sure in other places, the "he's sooooo gay" was the talk of the town. It's all in the personal experiences, to me.

I may have to go back through the archives of news media back in 2003 during the show, but I really don't think the gay talk started in earnest until after the show finished. Maybe the Advocate then thought it was "safe" to ask the question?

And Simon's comments? Well, we were talking about that earlier -- in many ways, I think that was more a Clay Aiken fanboard thing than a general American public thing.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Loved his blog. L.O.V.E.D.

Now I'm just waiting for the media to pick up on it, because I'm pretty sure they will.

"Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes?" -- Indiana Jones, or Clay Aiken. Take your pick.

There were Clay Aiken mentions before the show even ended, for various reasons.

That's all I was saying.

And...those who didn't hear the sneering about Clay early on are fortunate to be surrounded by such pleasant people. heh

I admire his fearlessness, too, aikim. :) Whee! for blogs!

Just read this over on CV. Perhaps he really is in France? And here I thought you guys were just having fun with it .... :P

Just dropping in to give a WRAL report. Bill and Lynda were talking about Idol and Bill mentioned that conspicuously missing from the Idol alumni were Clay and Kelly Clarkson. Lynda went onto add that Clay was going to talk to them but he was out of the country so I guess that explains why he was up blogging at 3am! :polishnails:

OMG, what a great way to start the day! :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

Hilarious that many I heard thought his hair looked particularly wonderful at the Capitol Awards....I did too!!

and the snakes answer.... :hahaha::cryingwlaughter::hysterical: Him and me both!!

And I LOVE his AI blog....LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it...cut right to the chase, which is NOT whoever wins.

OMG I LOVE Clay Aiken. Just in case you didn't know. :wub:

ETA: I think he's back in LA...the time would fit. We should know soon! :lol:

I love it when Clay gets riled up about stuff! You go, dewd!

I was disappointed with the outcome of AI last night for about 5 minutes (
seriously, Adam's recording of "Mad World" is haunting and beautiful and I'll be listening to it for a long time
) but I'm over it and ready to move on to "So You Think You Can Dance" tonight.

His 'Mad World' ... wow I was mesmerized.

I predict:

• CDs for Kris and Adam both launched at the same time.
  • The Danny fans who voted against Adam rather than FOR Kris ... unlikely to be buying the winner's album.
  • The bigots who voted against Adam rather than FOR Kris ... unlikely to be buying the winner's album
  • The narrow-minded Christians who voted against Adam rather than FOR Kris... unlikely to be buying the winner's album
  • The ardent Adam fans, upset that their Idol was robbed, will be buying Adam's CD in multiples, to prove a point

Conclusion: Another anomaly?

Nah. Not going to be that big of a deal.

And just maybe, just a possibility, consider that people voted for Kris because they liked Kris' music. It could happen! (tm Judy Tenuta).

It is not like the guys had similar styles and choosing between them was apples and apples.

Anyway, it has been a while since votes for anybody translated into sales - just ask Taylor Hicks.

Also think there are narrow-minded people of all religions, not just Christians.

This is why I kind of hoped Adam would win, less angst. I hate that Kris is going to get Ruben-ized and his win diminished a bit.

Second hope is that there are lots of online boards just for Adam.

No anomaly. Clay lead every week but the week he lost. He lost because of the inadequate phone system. And time will tell if Adam will outperforms the winner. Many people expected that to happen in other seasons and it didn't.... well I guess Daughtery but he wasn't the runner up. Plus whose album comes out first stopped being an issue after season 2. And Ruben's was slated to come out first but it just kept being held up for whatever reason. If it's just because it was announced - hasn't every runner up ever had an album? Nothing new there.

I LOVED Clay's blog, not because I agree with every word because I don't but it's because I want to know what HE is thinking. I respect his honesty and part of what he said is something he's been saying for years. I hadn't thought of it before but totally agree that people with nobody to vote for can vote against someone. And totally agree that the judges should step back and not try to insert their influence over the audience in such an obvious manner. Wonder if they will now go around dissing the winner. It's a turn off. I'm sure this will create fireworks but I think Clay is long past trying to be politically correct. It's totally believable to me that Adam is not Clay's kind of music/performer (haven't heard the voice so can't speak to his ears bleeding) which was the main thing that said to me LIE about the NE. I didn't believe he wanted to record with him. I guess I was supposed to believe it cuz they have the same preference. Anyway, I agree Cindy that what he said was about the show itself - not Adam- other than it's not his thang. LOL.

Now off to work. Love the hair thing. heee.

And just maybe, just a possibility, consider that people voted for Kris because they liked Kris' music. It could happen! (tm Judy Tenuta).

It is not like the guys had similar styles and choosing between them was apples and apples.

Anyway, it has been a while since votes for anybody translated into sales - just ask Taylor Hicks.

Also think there are narrow-minded people of all religions, not just Christians.

This is why I kind of hoped Adam would win, less angst. I hate that Kris is going to get Ruben-ized and his win diminished a bit.

Heck, not for one minute am I diminishing Kris' talent. I think he is a superb artist, a very talented musician, but in terms of the outcome, I do believe he won for the wrong reasons, and since (I understand) the voting numbers were close, it means that all those bonus votes he got would have helped him over the finishing line.

Of COURSE there are bigots in every religion, I am not pointing the finger exclusively at Christians but it's arguably more about Christians than any other religion who are casting their objection. If this were Idol in a Muslim country, the narrow-minded Muslims would be the ones who would vote against the Adam-equivalent.

And OF COURSE there would also be Christians who voted for Kris for the right reasons, because they love his music and they feel a spiritual kinship with him

And OF COURSE they are those who voted for Kris because they believed he was the best and they will be buying his CD.

I am sorry, I didn't realize I was being so ambiguous. I thought it was clear enough what i was trying to way without writing a huge post. I guess I need to brush up on my communication skills.

hasn't every runner up ever had an album? Nothing new there.

But but but... Didn't Simon (or someone who was TPTB) say that both Clay and Ruben's CD would be launched at the same time? And that was announced IMMEDIATELY after the results, so that Ruben's album was never slated to go out first. Or am I dreaming that?

And yes, I KNOW every runner up has had an album but did they always release BOTH albums at the same time, or released the winner's first, and the runner-up later? What I am saying is that I believe they will release both Kris' and Adam's CD at the same time, like they did with Clay and Ruben.

There is already one called the Lambrits .... Adam's fans in the UK.

Really?

I thought that in all 7 seasons, all the winners sold more than the runners-up, EXCEPT for Ruben and Taylor.

That means, since Taylor won,

Jordin sold more than Blake in Season 6, and

David C sold more than David A in Season 7.

Is this wrong? I haven't been studying results, I just have this impression from stuff I randomly read.

ETA: I can't believe Clay wasn't even mentioned in this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXSWjpyGmrc

I LOVED Clay's blog, not because I agree with every word because I don't but it's because I want to know what HE is thinking. I respect his honesty and part of what he said is something he's been saying for years.

ITA. I actually quite like Adam's voice (it's really quite original), but found him a bit difficult to watch. Kris, OTOH, has a nice sound, is not all that original, but is a bit easier to watch, for me. He'll be a great American Idol. I did not watch the results last night but was not surprised when I read about them. Already I've been approached by one very up.set Adam fan here in the office this morning, and I've had to give her the "calm down, it'll be the best thing that ever happened to him" speech. Hee. I speak from experience.

Claytonic, I assumed you were talking in general terms, that is what I was answering to. I felt you were giving reasons ahead of time as to why either guy would be more or less successful. I just was expressing that I differ, is all.

Kris' talent is being diminished all over the place, people saying he should not have won or that he only won because of homophobia. Tell you the truth, I don't think "gay" when I think of Adam, I just don't like very much of that Steven Tyler shrieking, not even if it is on key.

Sales - what I meant was that CD sales of AI winners seem to have no relation to how many votes they got. Taylor was saying he got 52 million votes; his sales were rather less. Anyway, I have not cared about first or second or whatever place in years, because now it looks to me that just finishing in the top 10 and going on tour is the object, really, the exposure is what counts.

Being The Idol is pretty much diminished when the next season starts, and now there is a passel of 'em.

I think sales depend more on genre now, I think the days of buying an AI CD as a sort of souvenir are gone. But maybe Adam fans will buy multiples, cool for him!

I can't be the only one who has a favorite - this year it was Anoop, a previous year it was Scott Savol - and then, when my guy is (inevitably) booted off, I stop watching, or don't get into voting, because I don't care about the "game" any more.

I certainly don't care much about AI unless it has something to do with Clay.

Heck, not for one minute am I diminishing Kris' talent. I think he is a superb artist, a very talented musician, but in terms of the outcome, I do believe he won for the wrong reasons, and since (I understand) the voting numbers were close, it means that all those bonus votes he got would have helped him over the finishing line.

Of COURSE there are bigots in every religion, I am not pointing the finger exclusively at Christians but it's arguably more about Christians than any other religion who are casting their objection. If this were Idol in a Muslim country, the narrow-minded Muslims would be the ones who would vote against the Adam-equivalent.

And OF COURSE there would also be Christians who voted for Kris for the right reasons, because they love his music and they feel a spiritual kinship with him

And OF COURSE they are those who voted for Kris because they believed he was the best and they will be buying his CD.

I am sorry, I didn't realize I was being so ambiguous. I thought it was clear enough what i was trying to way without writing a huge post. I guess I need to brush up on my communication skills.

hasn't every runner up ever had an album? Nothing new there.

But but but... Didn't Simon (or someone who was TPTB) say that both Clay and Ruben's CD would be launched at the same time? And that was announced IMMEDIATELY after the results, so that Ruben's album was never slated to go out first. Or am I dreaming that?

And yes, I KNOW every runner up has had an album but did they always release BOTH albums at the same time, or released the winner's first, and the runner-up later? What I am saying is that I believe they will release both Kris' and Adam's CD at the same time, like they did with Clay and Ruben.

There is already one called the Lambrits .... Adam's fans in the UK.

Really?

I thought that in all 7 seasons, all the winners sold more than the runners-up, EXCEPT for Ruben and Taylor.

That means, since Taylor won,

Jordin sold more than Blake in Season 6, and

David C sold more than David A in Season 7.

Is this wrong? I haven't been studying results, I just have this impression from stuff I randomly read.

ETA: I can't believe Clay wasn't even mentioned in this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXSWjpyGmrc

Just watched it and I also so surprised that Clay wasn't mentionned, they even said some things about AI like Clay did.

No it was announced that clay would also get a recording contract. Ruben's album was supposed to be released first but it was postponed twice. Clay's album was supposed to come out second but every time Ruben's was postponed clay's was pushed back althought it was ready to go... until finally somebody said Fuck it - Clay's is ready he's going first. And as for the rest - a week or two release dates difference is not that big of a deal. Justin was the only one that absolutely HAD to wait. And it wasn't a week...it was until all of his momentum was gone...and the next season's idols had taken center stage. I think they learned a leasson from that. Even if the winner goes first, the other finishers are not that far behind to be inconsequential. Anyway that's from my spotty recollection from the time and the glee when we relealized Clay wouldn't have to wait again just because Ruben had been pushed back.

I agree with everything Clay said about the SHOW and the role of the judges.

I'm pretty disappointed at the way he formed an opinion of Adam based on the one song he just 'happened' to tune in to hear (Hell, even Simon had a WTF after "Ring of Fire"!)...I'd like to ask Clay if he'd appreciate someone coming up with pretty harsh descriptive adjectives about him and his singing if they'd only 'happened' to see and hear a YouTube of his Waukegan "All Is Well".

It's fine to conclude that Adam's STYLE might not be his cuppa after just one exposure, but to make any assessments of whether he is 'nice' or 'arrogant' or other strong character markers from how the SHOW pimped him is...well, to me it's rather like judging without knowing---sorta what he's said he was often the victim of growing up (and even now as an adult).

And even though Clay included the 'appropriate' qualifiers about his having not really seen the show, I still find his personal jabs at Adam disappointing (Are we sure the Fake Clay didn't find a way to infiltrate the blog at some points?). If he wanted to make sure we know the NE story is bullshit, then why not just say that. No need to go into character criticism of a man he's never even met.

I'm close to agreeing with a friend who elsewhere said, "Thanks for your candor, Clay. Now shut up and sing, 'kay?"

:cryingwlaughter:

I actually said the same thing to a friend this morning - it's unfortunate if he really formed an opinion on his singing from one performance. Do I think maybe he could have written his blog without mentioning the finalists at all? Probably. But that's not my call - it's his. I don't have to agree with him (I know - call the press) but damn, I sure do admire him. He answered honestly and with passion.

Shut up and sing? That hasn't been part of the Clay Aiken deal for a long, long time, if it ever was. It's incredible to me that so many people who beat the 'freedom of speech' drum when it comes to expressing their considered opinions on Clay are the first to say he should shut up. It would be laughable if it weren't just so damn sad.

Why shouldn't Clay be allowed to express his opinion - about anything. He has certainly encouraged people to express theirs about him, for better or for worse, and on his own fan club board to boot. He went out of his way to say that it was his subjective opinion (about the music) and that he had no idea about Adam's likeability. (He said Kris 'seemed' likeable and he had no idea about Adam) He went out of his way to say these were perceptions (accurate or not) perpetuated by the show. The fact that he's been critiqued in the same fashion (times, oh, say a billion) doesn't mean he should never be able to utter a negative word about anybody, ever.

It is fan opinion that this blog is somehow an 'answer' to the tabloid crap. It is this fan's opinion that it's not - that it's Clay, being Clay and responding to the question asked on his message board - a question that specifically mentioned the possiblility of a 'Kris win' as the context for the question (seasoned performer over boy-next-door). He's stated his opinion on the evolution of AI many times - this one is just a little more detailed.

ETA: I think Clay would be the first one to critique his AIW 'note' debacle - and defend people who judged their opinion of him based upon that, while pointing out that they didn't know anything else about him. Which is exactly what he did.