#56: Clay's going to sing. Life is good.

jmh123

Thread Title  

36 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• A burgeoning roar of eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!
    • Behold the Allure of Aiken!
    • Guys, it was just so, so, so good.
    • The man is a star and we saw him go super-nova.
    • Oh yeah, he really is just. that. good.
    • Shoot, I'm still suffering from post-concert giddiness, and I wasn't even freakin' there!
    • I really think it is now his time and yes it is about damn time!
    • And we love every minute of his many talents.

laughn and I are leaving for the airport in about an hour. EEEEEEEE!!!

I have ldyj's number and have promised to give her a call after the taping tomorrow night. I can't guaranty that I'll have anything more coherent to say than "OMG!OMG!OMG!", but I'll try to take some mental notes. :cryingwlaughter:

Later, all! :yahoo:

Well you better at least remember PANTS! :loveclaysbutt: & HAIR! missy :whistling-1:

OMG I am so excited for Clay and all of the fans who will be there for this once in a lifetime event! I want so much for this to be perfect for him!! Even with my own life in such a damn mess I can't seem to get past my own wishes for Clay's success. Am I crazy :fca:

EEEEEEEEEEE I can't wait for the RED to begin!

tree... no,you are not crazy! Kooky, maybe... but not crazy... LOL No, really... I love Clay like he is a member of my family and I wish for his happiness and success almost as much as I do my kids and grandkids. He brings me so much joy that I just want it to continue and expand. And, I have a feeling that it will.

He's in such a good place right now. You can tell how much he has responded to being truthful about who he really is. He's so much more confident and the peace and contentment just oozes out of him. He lifts my spirit and his music feeds my soul.

I hope nothing leaks that shouldn't, but I cannot wait to hear all the recaps!!!

This is probably the only chance I'll ever have to be completely unspoilered for a Clay event, so woe to the person who tells me anything! :imgtongue:

The London contingent is on their way to Raleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeigh!!! :snoopy:

OK, the meeting I went to was cancelled (except no one told me...grrr). Therefore, I raced home!

Getting this out of the way first: the hair's kinda goofy. In an adorable way, though. Hee.

But I'm thrilled for him, and his "coming home." He sounds so at peace, and so happy with this album. I love that he knows enough to know that Justin Timberlake is now an "old" joke for him, and he needs to come up with someone cooler to compare himself! I love that he seemingly knows his musical direction, and where that fits in his life.

I love him.

And another one to watch! myncblogs.com This one is 10 minutes long, and supposedly also includes his take on the Wake Co. School Board!

Checking in from Buffalo.........we had a trouble free trip, clear highways, no traffic, friendly border guard. We have our alarms set for 3 a.m. so we can get to the airport in plenty of time for our 6 a.m. flight.

Loved the 2 videos! God he is so funny, and so snarky. We were all spellbound listening to him speak. Can't wait for what tomorrow will bring!!!!

News & Observer

A classic move

RALEIGH -- When Clay Aiken hits the stage tonight at Memorial Auditorium, he will be performing for the couple of thousand people in the crowd, as well a future audience that could be much, much larger.

The concert, which will feature the first live performance of his coming album, "Tried and True," will be taped for a PBS special that will air this summer. It's a one-time-only deal, and Aiken, the Raleigh native and "American Idol" runner-up, will sing each song from the new album.

"Tried and True," scheduled for a late May release, is Aiken's first album for Decca Records. It's also the first in which he didn't feel record-company pressure to go in a pop-friendly direction. Working with Decca, he and longtime manager Simon Renshaw charted a different course for Aiken's career.

"Our idea was always to head toward a Johnny Mathis-y kind of thing," Aiken said recently during an interview in a downtown Raleigh coffee shop.

So the songs on "Tried and True" are lushly arranged classics. Aiken's hard-core fans will hear some familiar tunes, standards that he performed on "Idol." The new album includes "Unchained Melody" and "Mack the Knife."

Aiken, 31, has developed an adult audience over the years that he intends to keep. To that end, the album features a guest turn by saxophonist and label-mate David Sanborn on the Sammy Davis Jr. classic "What Kind of Fool Am I?" Vince Gill performs guitar on Andy Williams' legendary "Moon River."

Decca is known for signing artists who appeal to mature audiences. Bobby McFerrin, Placido Domingo and Ray Davies of The Kinks are among the performers who record for Decca. Aiken feels comfortable there.

"Adult audiences aren't fickle. That's who I've done well with in the past," he said. "This is a chance to do what I want to do, sing songs that I think are great and not try to put a square peg in a round hole."

Aiken will perform tonight with 15 or 20 musicians, a stripped-down ensemble from what was used to record the album. Part of the idea behind the concert is to see how a group of this size will perform the songs. If all goes well, Aiken could hit the road with a similar ensemble.

Whether he tours in the near future will depend largely on the economic atmosphere surrounding the touring business. But he has some ideas of what he'd like to do if an opportunity arises. Aiken and "Idol" winner Ruben Studdard have talked for years about creating a show together.

In the end, it will come down to economics. Tours are expensive to produce, and people don't go to as many concerts as they used to. Acts that aren't at the top of the pop charts can find it more difficult to make a dollar on the road

"I'm not Lady Gaga," he said, laughing.

Just checking in... I am in Greensboro, NC at georgiesmybaby's house :)

We are headed to Raleigh later this morning. There was a time when I didn't know if I could be here for this; I am soooo... excited that I am! Loving the interviews! Got up early and am streaming WRAL-FM waiting to hear the interview with Lynda Loveland, so he probably won't be on until 9 or something. hahahaha

See everyone later :)

:GM_FCA:

Sounds like it it going to be a great show..so excited for Clay and all the fans!

9 Days until The First Day of Spring!:glasses:

80 Days until June 1 and The New CD! :04:

Clay address The Key Club Convention in July!

:yahoo:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating and a special Happy Birthday to my sister Barb who turns 50 today!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

From that News & Observer article:

So the songs on "Tried and True" are lushly arranged classics. Aiken's hard-core fans will hear some familiar tunes, standards that he performed on "Idol." The new album includes "Unchained Melody" and "Mack the Knife."

Aiken, 31, has developed an adult audience over the years that he intends to keep. To that end, the album features a guest turn by saxophonist and label-mate David Sanborn on the Sammy Davis Jr. classic "What Kind of Fool Am I?" Vince Gill performs guitar on Andy Williams' legendary "Moon River."

I'm glad UM has finally been recorded and will be an official Clay Aiken song. And, I'm wondering if the special guests tonight could be the aforementioned David Sanborn and Vince Gill? Now I'll be pondering the Johnny Mathis song he included, and hoping it's Twelfth of Never. I remember being about 9 or something and the neighborhood cutest guy, about 17 at the time, telling me that "Twelfth of Never" was the most romantic song in the world as he listened to it on his turquoise transistor radio. I remember that I just had to have a turquoise transistor too!

Aiken will perform tonight with 15 or 20 musicians, a stripped-down ensemble from what was used to record the album. Part of the idea behind the concert is to see how a group of this size will perform the songs. If all goes well, Aiken could hit the road with a similar ensemble.

Perfect.

And since he named Perry Como in the WRAL interview, I'm taking that as confirmation that "It's Impossible" in on the LP. Sa-WOOOON.

And lastly, that hair. I have no idea how he's going to be styled tonight, but I know that he wasn't giving it up in those video interviews. But one thing is certain, no sideburns, and for me that's a BIG plus.

Thanks for the link ldyj...he sounded wonderful! This concert sounds like it is going to be amazing! I so wish I could be there in person...but very thankful it is being taped and will see it in a few months!

Kim

QUOTE (copingincalif @ Mar 12 2010, 03:44 PM)

O M G!!!

Hi everyone. As you probably heard,my plane was cancelled WEDNESDAY! So I didn't get here until 6:30 pm - went straight to the dress rehearsal.

Clay sang for 3 straight hours - full out! He sounds, as Toni would say, F*cking Gorgeous - oh yeah he looks F*cking gorgerous too!

Wow is all I can say. You will be blown away by the production vaules and orchestrations. PS Ain't just orchestra on stagebut rock band too.

Be prepared to be blown away folks.

PS Faye met each of us, asked out names, thanked for being there. What a dear lady.

It was so good to see Rcknrollmom and everyone.

EXTRA! EXTRA!!! David Novik from Decca was there all day and at the Q & A. It is clear Clay and he like each other and Clay is so happy to be with this label. Also a hand held cameraman was following Clay around all day and night - DVD extra maybe???

RED REPORTS TONIGHT!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I've been on a short walk around the area of the hotel and got a few photos.

Clickables

Raleigh Memorial Auditorum where all the magic happens tonight.

th_IMG_1448.jpg th_IMG_1449.jpg

I threw a quarter in the fountain and made a wish. I can't tell you what I wished for, because then it won't come true. But it begins with a T, ends with an R, and has an OU in the middle.

th_IMG_1450.jpg

My fellow Northerners who are still waiting for the piles of snow to melt might appreciate the sight of a few blooms as much as I did.

th_IMG_1437.jpg th_IMG_1438.jpg th_IMG_1444.jpg

Some local color.

th_IMG_1445.jpg th_IMG_1429.jpg th_IMG_1454.jpg th_IMG_1455.jpg

I don't know how I missed it last night, but there is a Krispy Kreme right outside the entrance of the hotel.

th_IMG_1428.jpg

So I set up a little shrine to the performance muses.

th_IMG_1459.jpg

From nicki503, who texted me just before noon:

We just were at box office. In walked CLAY - EEEEE! We were good and did not holler out at him!

And then she followed up with a hair and clothing report:

Pink small striped shirt. Hair reddish blonde and combed bach with glasses on top of head.

ETA: Do we need to spoil any specifics from the show?

Appears I am all by myself...

From Toni

EEEEEE

I just saw Reed and his Mother at the hotel

He is gorgeous jeans and sweatshirt on

Waves to whoever the guest is reading!