# 65: "Clay Aiken's Not Just Any Joe"

ldyjocelyn

Hugs to Luckiest and others feeling down. I think there are several things going on right now. It's kind of a perfect storm. And I admit to not following things too closely since I wasn't going to the gala but I know if he had done one song at last year's gala I would have been upset about it. So I'm not judging on that front. People support charities for many reasons.I think NIP is a wonderful wonderful cause but there are millions of wonderful causes out there. If Clay wasn't involved with NIP they would have gotten approximately zero money from me over the years. Not because I don't believe in the mission but because there are a ton of missions I believer in also. I like to support things I can touch and feel so most of what I do support is local. So as much as I realize that Jerry Aiken, Clay and other have probably had to deal with some very aggressive people I think most of the fans do care about NIP.

I've never watched The Biggest Loser but my mom wants to watch because of Ruben. And even worse is that my cousin has been coming over and watching On Demand because her cable is out. And now she has my mom hooked on Scandal and Grey's Anatomy. I told myself I'd never watch another episode of a Shonda show so we'll be butting heads in the very near future.

I mentioned this on facebook but there was a girl on The Voice last night that for some reason reminded me so much of Quiana. I hope she lasts awhile.

Hugs to everyone here at FCA.

Until the furor dies down, I'm going to be backing away from the boards a bit. I find myself getting sucked into it, and it's not healthy for me. I only have today to work, and tonight I am giving blood for the first time in my life, and then taking my daughter's friend out for a birthday dinner. Tomorrow morning, I head to Detroit to attend Skate America (international figure skating competition) all weekend. Even though my favourite skater, Canadian Patrick Chan, is not included this time around, I am really looking forward to it. I love Japan's Daisuke Takahashi, and he is competing, so I will be rooting for him. It's a shame that USA's Evan Lysacek & France's Brian Joubert had to withdraw, but what can you do? I also love US dancers Meryl Davis & Charlie White. I am just excited that the skating season is beginning! It is always a most welcome distraction when the weather turns cold and Clay things get put on the back burner (unless there is a Christmas tour LOL). For anyone interested, NBC is showing two hours of coverage on Sunday at 4 p.m. EST. For the Canadians, CBC is also showing coverage, two hours on Saturday and another two hours on Sunday.

ETA: Hugs back atcha couchie! Thanks to everyone who has posted kind words. I'm loving the new audio, it's to die for.

• Like 1

I haven't watched L&O in years. Pretty sure someone will remind us to watch. :thinking:

Mr Fear and I did our first 5th grade tutoring session for this school year earlier this morning. He recognized a boy for whom he did reading readiness as a kindergartner. The first kindergartner I tutored is in middle school. Made us feel so old, yet proud that they are doing so well.

Made me realize that there is no way that I would punish the children who benefit from an organization for the words said by one of the adults running it. No way!

• Like 1

Luckiest, I am so jealous. Some big names are missing, yes, but I've been following Takahashi since I lived in Japan and he was still a teen. I love the way he has developed as a mature skater. Also love White and Davis. They are so unique in their style. i'm glad you've got access and I'm looking forward to the reports. The US coverage for skating these days is so limited. Boo!

I too love ice skating season. When I was in elementary school I read a thin paperback written by Carol Heiss. It hooked me. In 1960 the Olympic games were televised for the first time and I watched Carol Heiss win the Ladies gold medal with Dick Button commentating. Skating was primitive then compared to what's being done, with beauty and precision, on the ice these days.

Funniest thing I read today on another board: Someone accusing Jerry Aiken of being "thin-skinned." Pot meet kettle. I think there'd be no issue at all if fans didn't immediately jump to identify themselves with the people there for "only Clay." I don't think he's talking about the dedicated fans who support NIP. I believe he's referencing people who attend in the capacity of "only" a fan of Clay, and NOT the Clay fans who are also inclusion supporters. I don't know who said what to whom, and I've never attended a gala, so I'm just a spectator/commentator at the hair pulling frenzy. The haughtiness and entitlement is not new, but it's staggering at this point. I half expect villagers to begin gathering torches for a midnight march on the castle.

Here are the categories:

(1) Clay fans only.

(2) Clay fans and NIP supporters.

Is that so hard?

I've been following Daisuke since he was a teen too. I first met him when he came to Ontario to train at Mariposa one summer, around the time he won Junior Worlds. I was so happy to see the "Go! Daisuke" banner in the arena today. I remember having it unrolled in my living room way back when!

I saw him practice his new free program to a medley of Beatles songs today and I was very impressed, even without most of the jumps.

I've been following Daisuke since he was a teen too. I first met him when he came to Ontario to train at Mariposa one summer, around the time he won Junior Worlds. I was so happy to see the "Go! Daisuke" banner in the arena today. I remember having it unrolled in my living room way back when!

I saw him practice his new free program to a medley of Beatles songs today and I was very impressed, even without most of the jumps.

He is so talented, so dedicated to the sport. His jumps are amazing but he's also such a strong dancer whose routines always connect with me. I always have loved skaters like Paul Wylie and the Brians. I'm thrilled Daisuke has such a strong following over here. Beatles - wow! Can't wait to see that!

Thanks for the heads up!

jmh, Dai has a bit of a tango piece in his free program, set to Come Together. I hope you can see him on NBC on Sunday. I guess it will depend on how he places. The other two Japanese guys here are also very strong. And then you have Max Aaron, Jason Brown and Adam Rippon from the USA as well to contend with. Even with the withdrawals, it's quite the men's field.

luckiest, your trip sounds like fun. I always enjoy watching skating when I do watch it -- it's just remember TO watch it! (And now, with hubby and I cutting the cord very soon, it could be much harder for me to watch!)

I watched the clip last night from Saturday. I personally didn't see a "goodbye" in it, and here's the reason why. Clay has a flair for the dramatic, IMO, especially when it comes to ending his concerts. To wit:

• IT: The Way (especially memorable was his walk back through the audience at the end of the last show)
  • NAT: Solitaire
  • Christmas 2004 and 2005: Good News (and he got a LOT of flack for ending the show on such a "downer," even I thought that was one of his best live performances)
  • DCAT: Because You Loved Me
  • TnT tour -- In My Life (leaving the microphone on the chair)

Now, sure -- he ended the JBT with Invisible and the Christmas 2006 with AIW.

But in those other cases, he sang a fairly slow song, and then tended to fade into the woodwork. To me, this performance was no different.

I know it's what he's written lately (or NOT written) that's causing much of the anxiety in the fandom, and this added to it. But as a generally cheery person who loves rose-colored glasses, I just can't put 2 and 2 together to make "he's leaving." I also can't parse the words he's written (or again, not written) to get myself in a lather. It's just not in my nature.

You know what..I think I am going to pass on the clack..whenever there is clack from Gala's it is usually not posted right away..I think sometimes a year after the fact. The fact that this was posted so quickly after the Gala and in light of all the turmoil and things that have been said about Jerry, NIP, etc...it just seems like a big old F.U.to Clay and them. Maybe I am over-reacting but that is the way I see it.

Kim

*shrug*

Your choice.

Just like I'm not going to ascribe motives to Clay, I also will not ascribe motives to the fans in this instance. (I might in others though..heh). Personally, I liked being able to make a judgement based on what I could see via the clack.

*shrug*

Aikim, I got a bad feeling about it too. However I did download it and will probably watch it tonight. The clack has, obviously, been around for years so why put it in the vaults now? CV said it has been floating around the fandom to a select few. I'm gonna go with this to feel better about it. I'm with you in believing Clay that he isn't going anywhere.

Everyone has to do what makes them feel comfortable; given what has gone on in the fandom since the blog and the gala and what I have been reading today, I feel like ther is an agenda with regards to clack; the timing is just a little suspect and I won't be apart of it. Respect goes both ways. And this is really hard for me because I have ALWAYS Wnted to hear BBML live.

I'm not one of the cool kids and have never been privy to the back channels, so in that regard I'm glad the clack was made available to all. However, I'm not downloading very much. I did watch the YATS snippet, and immediately deleted it. That was something I never want to see again. Totally different body language, and I'll never forget the look on his face as he was backing away. Wow.

I'm thinking it's getting fairly late to be scheduling those intimate "events". Maybe it was the piano concert, dinner and balloon ride? I think Clay just doesn't want to perform at the Galas anymore. Anyone remember the remark he made several years ago about "whoring" himself out? I don't remember the context of the remark at the moment, but I remember at the time it upset some to hear him refer to it like that.

Glad skating has started! Our little 7 year old starts lessons tomorrow too, so that's exciting!

I'm not one of the cool kids and have never been privy to the back channels, so in that regard I'm glad the clack was made available to all. However, I'm not downloading very much. I did watch the YATS snippet, and immediately deleted it. That was something I never want to see again. Totally different body language, and I'll never forget the look on his face as he was backing away. Wow.

I must be totally weird then, because I've watched the YATS clip several times. I'm reading around, and many have the same thoughts like you Tijala -- it's like the Anomaly all over again. But then, I watched the Anomaly several times too. Anyway....I love the theatricality of the staging of that clip. No wonder I'm feeling so out of sorts with this fandom at the moment.

I'm thinking it's getting fairly late to be scheduling those intimate "events". Maybe it was the piano concert, dinner and balloon ride?

This is from his blog:

We are hard at work on some events that will allow us all to get closer together. More intimate, if you will. As those plans develop, we'll be letting you know. They will hopefully be taking place before the end of the calendar year and some will require some travel for folks. (Just letting you know) But if we can pull them off in the way we hope to, they will be incredibly special and intimate events like none I've ever done before.

To me that says that he was going to try to get these accomplished by the end of the year, but also be open to the fact that it might be in 2014.

I think Clay just doesn't want to perform at the Galas anymore. Anyone remember the remark he made several years ago about "whoring" himself out? I don't remember the context of the remark at the moment, but I remember at the time it upset some to hear him refer to it like that.

I remember that, but I'll have to look for the context.

I always have to wonder if there are several people out there who would attend the Gala (or provide some major funding) if Clay wasn't involved? He's got this stigma (unfairly, IMO) that many cannot get past, and I wouldn't be surprised if Clay realizes that.