# 65: "Clay Aiken's Not Just Any Joe"

ldyjocelyn

From Clay's Facebook page.

Clay will be appearing on an upcoming episode of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit on October 30th! Tune in to see Clay's guest role. The episode will air on Wednesday, Oct. 30, at 9pm ET/PT on NBC. Any guesses on what his role will be?

Finally listened to the song..it was beautiful..I had Cayden in my arms (baby-sitting) and he had been fidgeting and calmed right down when Clay started singing.

Kim

Keeping Faith I had no clue that you had a stroke. Well your brain is still function on top speed! My mom has had a couple of strokes and sometimes she still searches for a word and I have to help her along. You did the right thing to help yourself. I lol though when you said politics doesn't bring out the anxiety in you. Never change girl! It's time like these that I'm glad I don't really travel around the boards. I have no idea what's going on out there. I can imagine though. I just go back to when he came out and if it's anything like that then I understand what's going on.

Round two of fan drama coming up..Jerry just posted this:

erry Aiken posted on FB:

https://www.facebook.com/jerry.aiken1?hc_location=stream

Jerry Aiken

Each year we work hard to convey to the Champion Gala attendees truly what inclusion is about. For all those attending this year - thank you and I hope you left feeling inspired as to how you are making a difference! For those who are only fans and can only talk about the event in terms of Clay? Let me use the words of our keynote speaker Dwayne Ballen, " it is not about Clay-it is about the children, ensuring no one sits on the sidelines".

As I said in my remarks, "you are the fuel that powers the engines, without you we could not achieve what we have been able to accomplish".

To all - thanks again and please do not wait a year before we hear from you? There are so many ways to get involved and our office (919)314-5540 is always glad to hear from you. All the best!

p_up.gif

I'm sorry, but just because there has been concern about the way the gala vs VIP event was changed, and I'm sure Jerry has heard about it from someone, does not mean that the fans are only about Clay! As far as I'm concerned, they were not upfront this year in explaining that the format would be different and many of the usual things that were included in previous years would be removed from the main gala and pushed to the VIP event. In future, I have no problem with them doing it that way if they tell us in advance. I will just choose not to go to all the trouble and expense of travelling there, but will instead make an online donation. I do believe in the project and what it stands for. I also am a fan. They are not mutually exclusive!

I have seen many posts from fans saying they only go to the Gala's because of Clay and there was an awful lot of bitching after the Gala this year because Clay did not sing enough..so I can see where the Project is coming from. The Gala's have become fan events and some fans do treat them as "Clay Aiken Events"..I realize that he is the draw..I imagine Jerry got a lot of complaints after the Gala and maybe this was just frustration from that..I mean they spent a lot of time preparing a Gala for the 10th anniversary of NIP and all they have to hear is that Clay didn't sing enough songs..I would be frustrated too.

Kim

Jerry is an employee of the foundation. Perhaps he should have known better than to put it on his "personal" FB page. I don't follow him I just follow the Foundation on FB. Diane Bubel and Faye Parker were more than happy to talk to fans and answer questions. To me they are more the face of the foundation.

I don't really care what Jerry thinks of me. I'm there for the kids and I'm still a Clay fan.

On the one hand I've got this lovely Canadian Thanksgiving e-card from Tonya telling me how thankful they are to have me, and on the other I've got Jerry spouting his view of "just fans". I really hope NIP gets it together or they are going to lose a lot of support, and that makes me sad for Clay.

I just cant get worked up about something that does not affect me personally. I have enough crap going on with my husbands health right now that this is all a storm in a teacup.

I know I supposed be more understanding but I just can't.

• Like 1

Clay is joined at the hip to the NIP, but if he's going into the theater as his career focus, he may not be contractually free to take off a weekend to go back to NC for the gala in the fall. And he said it was too expensive to move the event out of NC. This could be a wake up call regarding potential scheduling issues with Clay's new path, and he doesn't want the foundation to suffer in his absence, should that be necessary. I agree, Fear, Jerry is from Mars too.

Excuse me. I feel ..... stapled.

• Like 1

Reading some of the posts that are being made elsewhere I am bouncing between sadness and just plain anger..I cannot believe how self-important and arrogant this fandom has become..yes the fans provided the seed money for the Foundation and should be proud of that fact, but the sense of entitlement that some have because of that is just wrong. The Galas are not Clay Aiken concerts..they are events to celebrate the NIP and its accomplishments and as a bonus you get to hear Clay sing. This year in particular was special because it was the 10th anniversary and they wanted to make that extra special and have the focus on the NIP and not Clay..i do not know why fans cannot understand that. Whether the changes they made were just for this year or are going to implemented for future Galas I have no idea.

I can totally understand Jerry's frustration especially if he was bombarded with e-mails or comments from fans complaining about the music part of the Gala and I know I have seen posts since Saturday from fans complaining about that.

I'm sure if I had gone I would have been disappointed about there being less music. There are expressions of disappointment, and then there are people who, it seems to me, react in a way that is way out of proportion. I've done that myself, once. There are fans who, it seems to me, make a habit of getting furious at Clay about his choices, and saying things that to me are horribly rude and unkind. I have no patience or sympathy for that. None of those folks post here. I can only imagine what it's like for an outsider to the fandom to hear people talk like that about a person and an organization that are deeply important to him. I have no doubt Jerry got an earful, and apparently had had it. Since I had had it a very long time ago, I can't say that I blame him and I feel certain he was not saying that all who contribute and are also fans are in the wrong. Only those who make it all about them and their relationship with Clay, and what they feel he owes to them.

Reading some of the posts that are being made elsewhere I am bouncing between sadness and just plain anger..I cannot believe how self-important and arrogant this fandom has become..yes the fans provided the seed money for the Foundation and should be proud of that fact, but the sense of entitlement that some have because of that is just wrong. The Galas are not Clay Aiken concerts..they are events to celebrate the NIP and its accomplishments and as a bonus you get to hear Clay sing. This year in particular was special because it was the 10th anniversary and they wanted to make that extra special and have the focus on the NIP and not Clay..i do not know why fans cannot understand that. Whether the changes they made were just for this year or are going to implemented for future Galas I have no idea.

I can totally understand Jerry's frustration especially if he was bombarded with e-mails or comments from fans complaining about the music part of the Gala and I know I have seen posts since Saturday from fans complaining about that.

I agree with you, some fans are really going overboard with their comments and angst. I was there and had no problem with the songs Clay sang. I much rather have one new song then three I have heard many times. My roommate though did not agree with me. She came away really mad and said right to me that Clay must hate his fans because he did not give us what was expected. I had heard on Friday only one song and though I love to hear him I was really moved by the rest of the Gala and the fact he emceed and was on stage alot that I was ok with it. My friend kept reminding me of all the money we spent elsewhere(plane, room, meals) and I send to her if I had gone on a girls weekend I would of spent the same so the difference was the price of a ticket and I could live with that.

I think some in the fandom need a refresher course in Reading Comprehension 101.

I too was reading on another board and finally I gave up......some people really need a good knock in the head. Somehow, I think it's the same people over and over...I think it's their calling to "stir the turd." The me,me,me attitude is embarrassing to say the least. I can't even imagine what was in some of the emails that Jerry received. Maybe it's better I don't. :cocktail:

Anyone watching Biggest Loser? Ruben is doing well so far. It's so good to see him, he is very likable on this show. I can't even imagine baring all for the world to see. I am so glad he got Dolvett and not Jillian (can't stand her).

I'm back! It was a LONG day -- I'm getting too old to make a trip back and forth from my house and Chicago. I've spent as much time in my car today as I was in meetings!

I'll post later about the events of the day. I don't think my thoughts would be coherent after this long day. However, there have been some really good pictures from the weekend posted at CV that I think should be posted!

i-JZGdQNd-M_zps489bf4a6.jpg

i-tCb75hk-M_zps34d53758.jpg

i-vs9wSSG-L_zpsced57dee.jpg

i-pfdwqGh-M_zps8c8b4397.jpg

i-SsntRZ3-M_zps9d9ff333.jpg

i-kzPv3ZT-M_zps82f988d1.jpg

i-9NshfzL-M_zpsbf9a0aad.jpg

i-VStBkhc-M_zpsbaf6a014.jpg

i-4nWmcKx-M_zpsca80f90b.jpg

i-BXQ75Np-M_zpsc7a7bad9.jpg

And there is THIS lovely from PermaSwooned:

P1150830ct_filtered_pe-L_zps0b938bde.jpg