# 8 My titanium balled, taking his life into his big hands,

Ansamcw

Thread Title Poll  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be for the FCA Forum?

• I really look forward to hearing Clay bring a sexy Moon River back
    • All this talk of Moon River has made pour a nice glass of red wine, curl up on my sofa with Waldo
    • It makes your girl parts vibrate
    • The board of easy women
    • It's just that Clay's world is so much more than us. So much more than fans and concert dates and venue choices and juvenile exchanges on his fan site. He's just so much more.
    • He's just so much more.
    • He's a man of a 1000 faces and all of them are great to look at.
    • They have not fallen down on their knees and kissed his lily white ass!

From the blog that Claygasm brought over, a symphony spokesman says:

And, by the way, all the artists who appear with us have invested substantially large sums of money to have symphony arrangements of their material written so they can perform their shows with symphony orchestras all across the country.”

I don't know why, but this quote struck me as really, really cool. It also struck me as -- heck, Clay must like this music *coughATDWcough* to be spending the big bucks for orchestrations.

*g*

As far as the rest of her post...ITA with her...no one should be forced or coerced into making a donation to something. Sure, I'd love to see the BAF get high numbers, and make it to number one even, because I think it would please Clay. But I don't NEED for this to happen, and I think Clay would be just as happy with number two, or number 5, or number 5230. *g*

Also -- think back to his banter at the end of the JNaT2006 shows. While he did plug both the BAF and UNICEF because they are dearly important to him, he also stated several times that people should follow their hearts with their charitable giving (and their tax write-offs.) He knows that people are pulled in many directions with their financial resources, and that people have choices to make. But, I truly think he wants people to GIVE, no matter where. If it helps the world, it's good giving. JMO.

And, by the way, all the artists who appear with us have invested substantially large sums of money to have symphony arrangements of their material written so they can perform their shows with symphony orchestras all across the country.”

I don't know why, but this quote struck me as really, really cool. It also struck me as -- heck, Clay must like this music *coughATDWcough* to be spending the big bucks for orchestrations.

*g*

:lies:

You know Clive is forcing him to pay that money!

Hmmmm. Maybe the reason we only ever see Clay traveling with one of the pooches is because Clive is holding the other hostage so he can force Clay to sing all these songs like "Moon River" and the covers from ATDW!

That must be it because we all KNOW if Clay had a choice he would be the biggest Rock Star! EVAH!!!

I just really hate being badgered by any one (and 00lsee, if you even pretend to think I'm talking about you, you will have earned a thumping) about anything. Good, bad or indifferent. If it's really important to me, I'll remember without a heads up every 30 seconds.

ETA: yeah, Claygasm, you're workin' about as hard as I am. heh.

Well damn, my decoder ring is malfunctioning today.

*throws ring against wall*

*dunks it in Cheez Doodle crumbs*

Ah, much better. Claygasm, you are so right -- I can see Clive Davis' evil fingerprints all over these orchestrations.

So, are the boards raising bail money for Clay's left-behind pooch? And of course, forcing people to donate?

*g*

*g*

:lies:

You know Clive is forcing him to pay that money!

Hmmmm. Maybe the reason we only ever see Clay traveling with one of the pooches is because Clive is holding the other hostage so he can force Clay to sing all these songs like "Moon River" and the covers from ATDW!

That must be it because we all KNOW if Clay had a choice he would be the biggest Rock Star! EVAH!!!

AHA...there it is...I knew something was up!!!

I just really hate being badgered by any one (and 00lsee, if you even pretend to think I'm talking about you, you will have earned a thumping) about anything. Good, bad or indifferent. If it's really important to me, I'll remember without a heads up every 30 seconds.

Hee ...I am very good at tuning out things like these...actually I was pretty much scrolling through the BAF stuff until a certain faction made a stink about the press release...made me pay attention to what was happening. But before that...since I gave to FCA MAD...and I know I can't donate again...that was a non issue to me. But even if I didn't give any I know that people cannot guilt me into it if I don't have the money or am not really interested in a charity. It just so happens that this is a charity close and dear to my heart because of my daughter's experiences.

Well, here is my thing about the 6 Degrees thing - People are promoting it, but that is what you do - people should have the choice to contirbute r not as they see fit - if you are feeling bad about what I write - then you are reading something that I don't mean.

Now the heavy handedness - For the BAF, the resulting promotion would mean a lot more than the matching funds, it might actually introduce it to the audience that it is intended (not fans), but parents and teachers. To come in first would mean it would be guarrenteed many mentions. It is up against some formidable organizations with MS pulling up fast behind it, I have relatives with MS. The small orgainztions would fall by the wayside. It is a shame see the others that are on the list so one could be pick and choose who they want to donate to, but you can't.

As to the shelter that does appear - I am not sure about the qualifications of that group - I was not even sure about Asutism Speaks for a while because the charity information was missing and the address was not the charity's. So unless you know that charity, I would be reluctant to donate. My local group is always welcoming of money, but no way could it ever get on the list of the top 6 or even top 10. I don't even know if they spend their money wisely since I can't find anyone to talk to about raising money at a flea market, even though they have stuff to sell and they need money - I can't even get a list of the board members, every one pushes me to another person - so I just walk the dogs and give them some love and try and train them to be more social and less kennel nuts. Aparently it helped because someone finally adopted and kept the dog I was teaching to not bite people and to sit and to heel and bee better behaved.

What ever you do, you do what your concience tells me - If I were to believe what I read on boards - why I might think that Clay is leaving RCA and signing with Warners! If you participate on a board, you do not have to turn off your brain.

I find that a lot of times fans are really not that invested in helping the charity, as much as they are in getting themselves noticed by Clay. This is what I have a problem with. Not to say that is the case here, just speaking in general. I think it can be counter productive to beat people over the head every time we turn around, wanting money for BA/F. Especially just to make some fan or message board look good. I mean come on. We were just asked for donations for Jimmy Kimmel and Valentines Day. Many fans are members of several boards. You can't expect them to donate for every board they belong to just so they can have bragging rights as to who raised the most. Then turn around and expect fans to donate several times to keep Clay number 1 for 6 degrees. You know we give at his birthday and at Christmas. It just seems it never ends. I can certainly understand people saying enough already.

It will be wonderful when he gets more corporate sponsers to carry his charity, and not have to rely on his fans. Hopefully that will be the case with this gala coming up. Right now, though, he does have to rely on fans. I'm glad he has fans willing to step up to the plate and do it even if for the wrong reasons or if they pester the hell out of me. BA/F has a payroll to meet, as well as other overhead. There probably isn't much left after that to put to good use for the charity. I suspect this is where a great deal of Clay's money goes. Probably why he doesn't seem to have enough money to hire professionals to run it, or enough to hire a celebrity haridresser. :sorry: Not trying to slam his cousin. :cryingwlaughter: I hope all who are going to the gala have a wonderful time. One of these days I am going to go to one. Just to hear him speak.

playbiller, I like your froggy avatar better than the running scissors one.

Actually, when FearofH2O reviewed thier expenses a couple of years ago - 85% of the money was passed on to active use grants or programs - the rest was for administrations or galas or whatever. This was quite a remrkable feat for a budding charity, most of which have no money to use until after a few years and many of the larger charities spend a good deal more on fundraising. This probably can be credited to the number of people on the staff that donate their time and the fund raising that the volunteers, many of them fans, do.

The other thing she noted was that all governemnt forms were filed correctly and on time, despite the many complaints about how Fran ran things, stuff did get done - now this may not include handling the mail or phone call connections correctly, just the legal part of it.

I volunteered to do wrapping for inclusion and certainly did not expect anything back, I think a lot of fans are like that and only a few are really famewhores, most of which are not haters because they did not get 'what they deserved'.

Noww I am an anti-Untied Fund person because they used to throw some pretty lavish parties for the fund collectors - but I worked at a huge company where the president was named to be cheif fund raiser and he wanted 100% participation - I did not want to participate - higher and higher ups kept talking to me about it - people actually offered to pay me to donate, which I took offense at. My job was threatened and the boss 3 levels up brought me to his office and questioned me on why I was not charitable for 3 hours until I finally said that he could fire me if he wanted I just did not want to talk about it anymore and left because it was 5PM. I think they just donated in my name and without my approval. So, I know about being pressured to contribute! I also know others went through the same thing with different companies, but always United Fund - hatesess United Fund third party skimmers of funds and big party people!

I also have a friend who's brother in law is disabled and works as a phone solictor for charities - he gets to keep 1/3 of the money he raises off the top, not reported as an expense to a charity, so I bristle whenever anyone suggests hiring a professional fund raiser for BAF.

So, am I a bad Clay fan if I end up contributing to them instead of the BAF badge?

If you're a bad fan over that, then so am I.

I love the doggies... Hell, I think we should give Shadow couchie's sweatshirt. Heh.

Diva, you're an itch-reducer. I used the apple cider vinegar and it really did help. I was having a scratching fit the other night in my sleep, so I got up, poured a good dose of that stuff on my leg and it stopped. Burned like hell for a few seconds, and my dog thought I was a frickin' salad, but it worked! Yay. Thanks! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Have fun at the gala, luckiest1 and jmh. Bring back pictures. Heh. Of, you know, everything. :medium-smiley-070:

I tried to get NH tix yesterday and only managed to get two good ones for Kav and Sylvie, so they will be coming over. I'm sure I'll get one... I'm one of those who stay behind during the buffet table surge to wait for the crowds to disperse... I also pack the morning of a trip. When it gets here, though, I'm all over it. :Tour3:

SINGINGCHICKS2.gif

I agree that giving to a charity should be personal....I have mostly just seen info about the six degrees thing, but then maybe my scroll button went right through it...

I do WFI and give to the BAF for once reason...I have a son with a disability who is 19 . We fought every single year for inclusion and should not have had to. If contributing gets a curriculum for K-12 so that ALL kids should b e included, wonderful....again, it is personal to me..

as is the American Cancer Society...I pretty much fundraise all year long for that...Have a team for Relay and tell my story and try to sell my cookbook and ask for donations..post my Team's website....again, because it is personal....I am a survivor and I have lost too many ....

I donate when I can, which isnt always as much as I want, but then I try to donate my time, or by raising awareness.

That said, NO ONE should ever ever feel pressured to donate to anything. ANd for those who do this stuff to get noticed.....

well I better not say what I think of that!

Excuse the postwhore here - is anyone interested in having all the AI1 episodes? I am almost finished with the AI2 ones (in a second format on a third host site) and can probably do that next week. But just here, and nowhere else for that one. I am getting grief from a few people on the some other boards for not using a site with faster downloads or not doing A or not doing B, not having enough size choices - Oy. comp13.gif

Interesting discussion on charities. My grand passions are humane treatment of animals and environmental causes. That is where I send my checks. It's all good. Beagle 2 at CH talked about the charity for foster homes for animals whose owners have lost their homes or are in transition. What a great idea. Playbiller, you must know a lot about this stuff.

I spent years on army bases rescuing abandoned pets. The most pathetic thing you have ever seen. I tried to cultivate awareness and recommended tattooing the pet for owner ID. It was a tough fight.

Feeling jet laggy and a bit "lost " tonite. I take days to ground after a big trip. Can't wait to feel directed again.

Sort of Clay related: I'm reading "You'll Never Nanny In THis Town Again" by an Oregon girl who ended up being a nanny for Michael Ovitz and other Hollywood bigwigs. It is so unbelievable and depressing. No wonder Clay couldn't wait to get the F out of there. It truly is bizarro world amongst the showbiz set.

Interesting discussion on charities. My grand passions are humane treatment of animals and environmental causes. That is where I send my checks. It's all good. Beagle 2 at CH talked about the charity for foster homes for animals whose owners have lost their homes or are in transition. What a great idea. Playbiller, you must know a lot about this stuff.

I spent years on army bases rescuing abandoned pets. The most pathetic thing you have ever seen. I tried to cultivate awareness and recommended tattooing the pet for owner ID. It was a tough fight.

Diva - I think I love you! You are me. We must meet when you come to Philadelphia!

Animals are my heart. After Katrina all I could think about were the animals left behind - often because their owners were left with no choice. That is one reason I decided to sell a pin to help the animals. The money went to a wonderful organization called Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Utah. They stayed in the hurricane ravaged area longer than anyone. It felt good to help their Katrina fund. If any of you contributed, I thank you and Best Friends thanks you. We raised over $1200.00. They were so grateful they sent me 2 thank you letters AND I got a phone call. It felt good.

There is much need in this world. There is plenty of room for all of us to follow our hearts.

Clay number 1 baby! Yeah I get caught up in that from time to time. I like seeing him number 1. But over time I've come to be a little discerning about what I spend my time doing. The further away I get from Clay's Idol season the less I care about any sort of Idol poll or being #1 in anything Idol related. As a sports fan I know records or made to be broken and they will be sooner or later. I would love for TBAF to be #1 when it's all said and done for the press it will receive, but top 6 will be great to get the 10K grant.

I guess I'm not feeling the pressure of the top 6 because I'm primarily here. But back to that number one thing... I used to pull out my purse every time Clay was involved with something just because. I didn't even fully understand sometimes what I was donating to. Just handing over my info LOL. That all has to do with some notion for Clay to be recognized I guess.I just finished off a year of 20/mo donations to Duke University. I can't even remember why..I'm sure it has something to do with Clay heee.

There are people that do in order to be seen and applauded and thanked by Clay but so many do it because they believe in what he is doing, or want to support him and they want nothing in return.. In California we just really have active work going on for TBAF. Every party we have, there are raffles and the money goes to TBAF. I know there is a party on the same night as the gala and more funds will be raised for TBAF. I know I haven't really done much over the years but it does hold a special place in my heart as well.

The same can be said for the non charitable things going on with Clay. The work that so many put into their websites, taking clack, buying cameras, uploading stuff to you tube - they do it for the love of the guy, not to be recognized. YOu never hear them trying to remind people of what they did. They just do it and it's worth SO much to Clay - keeping his name out there, keeping a record. It's a wonderful thing.

And even with the Houston press for Clay ticket selling frenzy..that was just Clay fans doing what they do...voraciously buying ticktets.... and the luck of keeping those phones ringing off the hook did the rest. Now free press from the jammed lines make it a good story and who knows, before that official press release is written, Clay may be sold out there or close to it. A lot of things really are just luck.

I feel where all of y'all are coming from...Clay has increased my awareness in a lot of things, though I still donate to what touches me. Though it's funny, like that thing with PETA and Clay...I've despised PETA for years prior to Clay (I'll confess - I love animals, as I am sitting at my desk covered in cat hair - but their charities are really fairly low on my priority list) because a confrontation with them at my medical school back in the day. I do like rooting for the underdog though.

I am waiting with impatience for my tickets to show up in the mail!

*waves to all*

I got busy at work yesterday. And I got frustrated as, one by one, my regular haunts (gmail, thedailyplate) were hit by meta-tag filters and deemed unacceptable to surf at work. Thank God this one has escaped!

Also -- think back to his banter at the end of the JNaT2006 shows. While he did plug both the BAF and UNICEF because they are dearly important to him, he also stated several times that people should follow their hearts with their charitable giving (and their tax write-offs.) He knows that people are pulled in many directions with their financial resources, and that people have choices to make. But, I truly think he wants people to GIVE, no matter where. If it helps the world, it's good giving. JMO.

I was also going to mention this, as I was listening to JNaT mp3s yesterday and heard it. I totally agree with it, as well. It's a personal thing. TBAF is not everyone's cuppa. It's mine because I can relate to it. My son has struggled with learning disabilities and ADHD all his life. I have spent lots of time advocating for his rights to be included in a regular classroom, but also have his individual needs met. I only wish that TBAF had a Canadian chapter, so I could also participate in WFI and other worthy fundraisers.

Soooooooo.......we're down to hours instead of days before we leave for the gala. EEEEEEEEEEEEE! My camera (crappy as it is) is packed and charged. I even remembered to pack the cable so I can upload any pictures in NC. Let's hope I have something to upload.

PETA - I wouldthink anyone who loves animals would hate PETA - but apparently many people can't read. There was that one group that would pick up animals from shelters - sayingthey would find them homes and then leave them in a black van in the hot sun to die - because that was how they killed them - so much better dead then to be in pet slavery - not many of their supporters know thier philosophy about pet slavery - no no - should not have pets oh great PETA fans!

And then raiding the turkey farm and letting all the turkeys go without realizing that they were so trained to be fed that they could not survive in the wild. - just as bad as thinking that turkeys could fly. No, I have disliked them for many years and I get pissed off at people who support them, at least anyone foolish enough to be a pet 'slave owne'r, because they obviously have not read their group beliefs or read about them in the papers - they are out rageous - yes my PETA hatred sort of started when I read about death being better than being a pet and how they obviously did not care about suffering since it was worthit for freedom - I think we should send all PETA members to Iraq - they can sharethat philosphy with the administration.

Rant over - should not start me on this stuff! I really love/loved my pets and spoil them terribly, to the that I used to set up play dates for my more sociable dog.

ETA I just spoilered my rant so people don't have to read it. -

On the positive side - over 350 people have at least started to download the AI2 episodes and 150 have completely downloaded it (I have counters, heh) - so the interest is there. interesting considering how many downloaded it last year.

Edited by playbiller

Play I know what you mean about getting started on these kinds of topics. I had started spell out my mixed feelings about UNICEF and then thought...uh no. Heee.

Clay, sneeze or something. LOL. I'm sure after tomorrow when he wears flips flops to the gala there will be plenty to talk about.

So yesterday at work, I had in my hot hands the credit card of someone VERY close to Clay (at one time) in his pop star capacity. It was hysterical cuz I looked down at the name on the order (which I never do..all i care about is the number and the little approved sound of my printer)... and I just eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee'd right there in my office. It was funny. Can't get away from the boy.

Okay couchie....I suppose you're gonna get all noble and professional and shit on us now and not tell us whose freakin' name was on the freakin' card. :angry22:

God, I just hate all that ethical shit.

Charitable giving is personal and people are going to support what is important to them, and I don't think anyone should feel guilty about that. That being said, I guess I don't really see anything wrong with the reminders that have been given on this "Six Degree's" thing. If it's Barnett's reminders that are being referred to, I've kind of enjoyed them, and I guess if I didn't I would scroll right by them. The thing is, I don't think we would have known about some of the othe charities in contention for the matching funds if it were not for these updates, and I would guess that some of them have benefited from that information being shared. I know I have read posts from people saying they were also giving to the animal supported charities.

These reports have been posted on Clay's fan boards as reminders to support Clay's charity for this opportunity for matching funds, that doesn't seem out of line to me. I know it doesn't look like any of other charitities will overtake TBAF's current position, but I think much more has been gained. Donations could have slowed or stopped after people felt the organization was safely in position for the match. Instead the donations for TBAF are now close to $25,000 dollars, and I think that is at least partially due to the reminders. I know it worked with me.

I also think is says a lot about Clay's fans, that they were able to raise a comparable amount of money to a charity like Autism Speaks, who has had at the very least 2 Airings of Larry King live to promote thier charity.

I'm a person who doesn't get involved much in fund raisers and charities. I do the neighborhood drives, because they can't get anyone else to do them. So, I guess I'm one who needs a nudge..

eta: Hats off to Kevin Bacon, this venture has already raised over $115,000 for just the top 6 charities (not including his match.) Even the charities who will not earn matching funds have raised a lot of money for their cause.

Edited by atinal

I have seen on some boards from time to time comments that amounted to "You can't let Clay lose this!" and "It is our obligation as Clay fans to not let him down!" and "I would be ashamed to see him at the Gala if his fans let him down and the BAF loses". I have read individual comments, not by those posting the updates (which I think is fine) where they were scolding people for not contributing. Even some of the updates to me have seems a little heavy handed. Its one thing to let people know who the top six are and another to keep reminding them of their obligation to contribute to the BAF badge.

I guess not everyone sees it as badgering, but I do. Maybe its just because the comments are directed to people like me who have not contributed and who have no intention to contribute. I guess I am little more sensitive to it than those who have contributed already, or who plan to before the campaign ends.

I just wonder how many would give a damn about a charity whose cause is exactly the same as the BAF if Clay's name weren't attached to it. I guess I wonder if its the cause they care about or Clay. In the end it doesn't matter. The BAF is raising lots of money so I guess whatever motivated someone to give isn't important as long as they gave, but I do wonder.

So where are the rest of the tour dates? The Florida dates that were ferreted out by the fans haven't even made it to the OFC yet! ***taps foot impatiently***

BeanbagBounce.gif

Well, if it did not have Clay's name attached to it, I probably would never have heard of it. I do give to a greater variety now that my college has been absorbed into a lesser college - I no longer feel the need to support it, although education is important - apparently it is not as important to have high standards, so I have money to give to otehr charities - some times I buy things to support the local schools, even though I believe my taxes should be doing more than enough. Sometimes I will give to someone who comes to my door if they can provide documentation and I can do a quick check on the charity on the internet - too many kids faking charity sales. Don't ever give to phone solicitations - so if you catch my attention and present a good case AND I have spare cash - yes, I will donate and have to a variety of organizations, excepting organized religion.

I think knowing how well they do use the money is one of the resaons I would contribute to the BAF, as opposed to the March of Dimes that has a much higher cost overhead and cooks the books a little and I have stopped giving to the natures conservatory when I found taht the board was profiting by selling some preserve land to oil companies with private contracts and that board members were building vacation homes in the preserved areas, a complete violation of the goals..

Claygasm, we all know that there are Clay fans that carry things too far, but I think there are far fewer of them than those who are just of a generous nature and want to give to Clay's cause. As to your point if any of them would be giving to the cause if it didn't have Clay's name on it, maybe not, does that make it wrong? Celebrities bring awareness to causes all of the time. My awareness to this particular cause is because of being a Clay fan, and I happen to think it is a good cause. Others who have posted have an interest of a more personal nature. As far as a fan or two using a heavy handed approach, I always consider the source, and I might make my judgement of that person or their agenda, but try not to let that color my opinion of the cause.

I was just trying to present a different view.

Edited by atinal