#14 We were all up on him screaming "Yeah! Yeah!"

ldyjocelyn

Next thread title poll  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the next main thread title

• I'm easy....I will take Clay any way he wants to give it to me!
    • Clay's instrument is full and especially soul-piercing the deeper it goes.
    • LOOKING FOR WALDO
    • Cut The Crap And Show Us Your Willy
    • [He's] a top quality human being
    • Clay Aiken: You are a Man of Character
    • Clay Aiken... bringing brainy back!!!
    • the Earl of Aikenberry: a man of character and Naughty by Nature
    • We were all up on him screaming "Yeah! Yeah!" (redux)

It's not that difficult to play songs with syncopation if you count and if you're used to it, or if you practice. More than likely the cellists didn't have a chance to practice with Clay and Jesse much ahead of time.
The Florida cellist was really getting into it, and he did it for four nights in a row. A like how he was feeling the song. But still, IMO, no match for the Houston Symphony cellist.

I don't know why Jesse's intro to Sexy Tractor varied so much. But it's a deal breaker for some of the venue audio because it is a necessary component of the arrangement. I think some nights he may have been too busy watching Clay and laughing at his antics during 1999.

I think I love this board. Really, I do. It reminds me of how Eayor used to be over at RHT. Do you have fanfic here? Hee.

It figures I would find this board just when I'm going to start working full time. I've been part time for the last four months and was just offered a full time position. I start it on Friday and we can NOT go on the Internet at all at work. I do have a Blackberry that I use to keep up a bit.

There just aren't enough Clay hours in the day.

Many of you already know me from RHT/Eayor. I do post some at CV but I'm not well known there.

I'm nice and smutty, too.

~Paulette

*hugs the smutty Paulette*

Congrats on getting a full-time job! On days that I work, I'm hardly on the boards at all. It sucks, doesn't it?

Hey! I work hard at pretending to do something!

So, was the cellist in Cary (Flamin' Cellist, I call him in my head) good? I gotta admit, I liked Houston cellist and Florida cellist better...but the flames were entertaining...maybe they added some (tries desperately to remember some sort of musical term) tacet to the performance?

ITA-- You said it so much better than I could. I think Jessie is great at his job and I've been noticing more and more that Clay hears every little detail and instrument and count. It's all in his head. That's artistry, right there.

The artistry that Clay shows just simply floors me! I really think his talent is so under appreciated by many people fans and non-fans alike. To me the problem is that he makes it look so easy. It's as if what he does is just no big deal.

After listening to both the medleys again and again I have become so much more cognizant of his immense talent. To switch from one song and genre to another, the way he does, is just so well done and with what appears to be such ease that I am just in awe of him. You just have to be a real artist to be able to do that.

So it appears that the only benefit of being a Mod is there is no edit counter. Well pfft who needs an edit counter anyway. I always figure if I don't edit something in my posts then I'm not posting properly*g*

Speaking of which, Carolina Clay, when are you going to share your expertise on the orchestras and arrangements this tour??

Orchestra expertise in a nutshell -- some were better than others. Heat and humidity do a number on all instruments, make tuning a bitch, and play havoc with pitch. However, professionals learn to deal with it, some better than others. All of this is based on watching videos/listening to audio since I didn't actually attend a live performance this time around.

About the arrangements, I thought they kicked ass; and I read at least three blogs by tour musicians that said as much.

Thanks!! More more!! I promise to whomp anyone who expresses boredom. What would you suggest our listeners listen for as they evaluate?

I'm doing the cello, I mean LAA. There's something about that solo that makes it really hard. A lot of the cellists seemed to me to be off in their timing. What is it about that solo that makes it so challenging?

I LURVE all kinds of musician talk. So I'll join you in whomping whoever says they're bored!

And as far as some of the cellists having problems staying in time during LAA - it's probably because the vocal and piano parts have some syncopation. That's one of the many things I really like about this song.

Definition of syncopation - A shift of accent in a passage or composition that occurs when a normally weak beat is stressed.

It's not that difficult to play songs with syncopation if you count and if you're used to it, or if you practice. More than likely the cellists didn't have a chance to practice with Clay and Jesse much ahead of time.

So syncopation is the term--thanks! I always thought of syncopation as a fast music thing, but your definition fits the LAA solo to a tee.

There's also a thing, can't remember the term, but I had a piano piece where one hand is playing 4 beats to a measure, and the other three. Is that syncopation, or something else? And then there's another related thing where you have 5 beats in a 4 beat measure, e.g.. The Grateful Dead have a song called the Elevens where they do that.

The old guy in Chautauqua practiced and practiced and practiced every minute he was on stage during the warmups and even during the intermission. He was wonderful. He had played with the Israeli Philarmonic and other great orchestras in his time. I'm wondering if some of them were a little over confident?

Totally unscientific observation because I haven't really listened to all the audio with this in mind, but I thought the San Diego orchestra was one of the best.

Edited by jmh123

What's this about a flamin' cellist? I thought we had agreed not to attack stereotypes here?

Paulette! What a hoot! Welcome....yep, this is where I've 'gone to'....and I agree with you about how the feeling of this board is reminiscent of how EAYOR used to be....

Full time job? Cool and yet...not. heh. I 'feel' ya, there. and I'm with ldyjocelyn on the 'gonna get me in trouble some day' feeling re: being on the internet at work thing...

like....right now....

And by the way, everyone---about Clay's "Sleep Number"....notice my member number under my avie....coincidence?

I think not. :whistling-1:

Hugs back to you, Gibby! :hugs-1:

Edited to respond to Muski. I need to work full-time so I can afford to go to more Clay concerts. My son is in college now. He's coming home for Labor Day weekend. I haven't seen him for three weeks. I better get a hug when he gets home.

ETA again: I think they were actual FLAMES on his cello.

Edited by Thankful4Clay

There's also a thing, can't remember the term, but I had a piano piece where one hand is playing 4 beats to a measure, and the other three. Is that syncopation, or something else? And then there's another related thing where you have 5 beats in a 4 beat measure, e.g.. The Grateful Dead have a song called the Elevens where they do that.
I've always called it 5 against 4, or whatever the count when you have to squeeze in an extra note while keeping the timing steady and "equal" -- first learned that one in Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu long, long ago. Edited by keepingfaith

Do you have fanfic here? Hee.

Yeah, but it tends to be short, to the point, and photo-related - i.e. see the posts on page 42. :whistling-1:

If she uses her mod powers to save herself from Top-of-the-Page hell I'm gonna complain. I wanna be a mod so my edit counter doesn't show. I promise to do next to nothing, like a true FCA mod oughta. Heh heh.

You know, KAndre's list of airline and car rental employees who have pissed her off in the course of her travels and who will feel the brunt of her wrath when her World Domination plans come into full fruition has served as an inspiration to me. That's all I have to say on the matter.

<Insert menacing "Dun Dun DUN" chord here.>

Oh man, I've been YSRN'ed. I mean "Yeah, top 'o the page!"

Do any of you know what you are talking about? Just wondering here. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I am now going to have to run and check at a flaming cello player in Cary! I didn't notice flames on the instrument! All I was did was watch Clay sing LAA!

Why does flames on the instrument make me want to laugh or somethin'? :eusa_whistle:

BRB.

Grrrr!! I've been trying to get caught up, but now I give up. I'll just have to post-ho as I go.

K'Andre I read the article about the library finanaces that you were asking for librarian's input about. (baaad sentence structure, I know, but I'm at work and in a hurry so I'm just going to slam this out as quick as I can). At first the concept of the Express libraries didn't sound too far-fetched. My small-ish county library system has very limited resources. The branch I'm head of has about 70,000 books and a circulation of 350,000 per year - serving a community of 40,000, and we're the largest. That is a pathetically small collection for a community that size, but if the money's not there, it's not there. We don't even have a real library building, we operate out of a converted drug store. One way that we were able to increase service and meet the needs of our communitiy was to join a library consortium. It's similar in concept to the Express concept..if we can't afford to buy 15 copies of the new bestseller we can order them from one of the consortium members and have the courier bring them to us. The other consortium members do the same, as we do have some materials that no one else has. It works. And most of the time it works well, except with the latest Harry Potter book last month (what a disaster!), so I think the people in Houston will find it's not as inconvenient as it sounds.

But here's the difference...in our consortium the biggest, shiniest, fanciest newly renovated library is the main library in downtown Kansas City. An area where the socioeconomic level is by far the lowest, education levels are the lowest, crime & vandalism is the highest. I personally don't mind because if one child has his life changed by a book he stumbles upon in that library, how fantastic would that be? It's been known to happen. The situation in Houston is that the people who need exposure to books and computers (information in general) are having theirs taken away. The article is correct in saying 'how will they know what to ask for?'. It's not likely their parents and grandparents are sitting around the dinner table discussing discussing the literary merits of one author over another. Their decision to put the new branch in an affluent area is a case of discrimination, knock 'em down and keep your foot on their neck, 'those people' probably can't read anyway discrimination. (Yes, I've heard that kind of thing said). Here is the telling statistic out of that article:

And especially when the library reports usage statistics showing that Frank had 105,000 visitors in fiscal year 2007, but Looscan had only 61,000 in fiscal year 2005 (the last figures available since Looscan closed in August of that year)?

They say they put the money where it's needed? HELLO??? Where it's needed is where the most people are using the services, where the most people are, because libraries aren't about books, they're not about computers or newspapers or videos, they're about people. Of course the Frank community couldn't raise millions of dollars, because they live at a lower income level that the Looscan community and don't have the money to give. It's the haves and the have-nots. Still.

A young man came in my library this morning. He had just come from getting his driver's license and was also getting his first library card. I thought that was so cool. I told him 'this library card is going to take you more places than that driver's license will.' He didn't 'get it', but his dad laughed. But the point is that lower income familes do need more and better libraries to help them go places, see better ways of living, read inspirational stories of others who maybe have walked in their shoes.

OK, I'm done. Can I go play now? :DoClay:

Edited by Bookwhore

"Someone" checking in! Obviously I made a bad choice in words and phrasing last night....the way things fly around the boards; I figured it was pretty common knowledge or at least suspected. I am not one to spread gossip or start rumors...so okay; from now on, I will make sure any info I pass along has at least 3 verified sources.

Got called into work today to shelve books and generally help clean-up...seems they are moving along with the renovations at the library much faster than they anticipated...good for me since I am not being paid during this layoff.

See you all this evening; everyone have a good day!

Kim

You didn't post anything that I hadn't already read about 10 times in various places! Certainly, there were no secrets, so I think you're good. Sometimes, people misunderstand.

Dude, he had flames painted on the sides of his cello! I think he thought he was HOT - Flamin' Cellist!

muski, you are such an optimist!

Whew, thought for a minute your tiara escaped from the top of your head and crawled down in front of your eyes.

The conversation has moved on, but I just caught up, so just wanted to say that:

You can actually go and visit the Field of Dreams in Iowa. Yes, you really can. I've been there. It was NOT my idea. :D

maybe YSRN can organize the first FCA reunion there :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

oh and would like to reiterate..I may have had a lot of music in my life growing up but today I know about as much about it as I do spanish after 5 years of it. Mucho good-o nothing-o. So while I'm enjoying music talk, can add nothing to the conversation.

Do any of you know what you are talking about? Just wondering here. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Or what Huuugs said. :cryingwlaughter:

Do you have fanfic here? Hee.

Yeah, but it tends to be short, to the point, and photo-related - i.e. see the posts on page 42. :whistling-1:

There's an even better story on page 39. :tongue09:

Hey, Caro, speaking of orchestras - which ones did you like the most on this tour, as far as quality?

Thank you Bookwhore - that's what I sorta thought, but I didn't want to diss a whole new library concept - because I think it would work for me - I just don't think it will work as well for Franks...sigh. Time to email my city councilman....

I swear, the Cary cellist's cello looked like a '57 Chevy! Clay even commented on it! They were badass flames!

Wait a minute! Nobody said anything about knowing what we were talking about when we took this gig! I know my rights!