#14 We were all up on him screaming "Yeah! Yeah!"

ldyjocelyn

Next thread title poll  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the next main thread title

• I'm easy....I will take Clay any way he wants to give it to me!
    • Clay's instrument is full and especially soul-piercing the deeper it goes.
    • LOOKING FOR WALDO
    • Cut The Crap And Show Us Your Willy
    • [He's] a top quality human being
    • Clay Aiken: You are a Man of Character
    • Clay Aiken... bringing brainy back!!!
    • the Earl of Aikenberry: a man of character and Naughty by Nature
    • We were all up on him screaming "Yeah! Yeah!" (redux)

Hey, Clay What's your Sleep Number?????

69, if there's a God.

funniest quote of the day!!! cracked my shit up. :cryingwlaughter:

ETA I got to be on top so soon... :medium-smiley-070:

Edited by woolovereyes

Ikeep thinking this subject is past and I can't comment on it, but someone else always brings it back - well, if you like baseball, I guess you could like that film, they are both snoozers for me. The only thing I liked about baseball was drinking beer. The only movie worse than F of D was the baseball movie with Robert Redford, I actually tried to sit through the whole movie , but just could not take it when the girl in the white dress appeared - too much symbolism. I would rather watch Plan 9, at least I can mock it.

message50.gif

Edited by playbiller

Hey, I could've sworn that not too long ago I heard or read something in the news that the people who owned Field of Dreams were running out of money and were going to have to sell it? Maybe the state or the county or whatever is going to take over the management of it?

BTW...I love that movie. And yeah, my hubby got all teary, too....but that's nothing...he cries over Ghost Whisperer on Friday nights (when he's not drooling over Jennifer Love Hewitt's boobage spilling out of every.single.thing.she.wears.)

Did someone ask for a picture of Clay's instrument? :lilredani:

dcwaldo.jpg

and this picture still CMSU....looks as though Angela knows how to tune his instrument, doesn't it? :whistling-1:

Waldo3test-1.jpg

Are you sure that's just not a pitchpipe in his pocket?

**daydreams of blowing Clay's pitchpipe**

Ikeep thinking this subject is past and I can't comment on it, but someone else always brings it back - well, if you like baseball, I guess you could likethat film, they are both snoozers for me. The only thing I liked about baseball was drinking beer. The only movie worse than F of D was the baseball movie with Robert Redford, I actually tried to sit through the whole movie , but just could not take it when the girl in the white dress appeared - too much symbolism. I would rather watch Plan 9, at least I can mock it.

Bad-mouthing The Natural? :scream:

OMG, if you tell me you hated Bull Durham, I may cry. :P

btw, Mystery Science Theater 3000 fan?

Back to Clay's instrument. I love what somebody way back there said about Clay's musical artistry and talent---I only took one year of piano way back when and have never had vocal training other than a semester of a voice class in college, but I've always sung in choirs and actually did gigs during my 20's as a 'professional' singer with a group and with a lone guitarist in smokey nightclubs...heh. There are so many things about Clay's voice that I appreciate (although not all things---he sometimes has a harsh, ear-blasting nasal quality, IMO)...and I do recognize how adept he is at harmonizing and thinking on his big feet when he needs to mesh with an orchestra or accompanist...

One thing I'd like to ask the musical pundits here....on LAA, sometimes the timing seems odd to me---that maybe Clay is coming back in a little too early or maybe the cellist is a hair late or something...is that just my ear or is it designed to be that way? Or am I hearing things that are/aren't there? :wacko:

Not a pundit, but I agree about LAA. That's what I was trying to get at with my earlier question.

Clay's harmonies are amazing, and I think one of the reasons he appreciates Q & A is for their ability to harmonize.

:backtotopic: I totally agree with the statement about Q & A's harmonizing abilities. :00000462:

What I'd really like to do is see the score for LAA. The piano is what holds that song together. Jesse is keeping a pretty steady beat which allows the two soloists to bend the beat somewhat. After four nights, Clay and the cellist probably could "take liberties" more than usual, JMO.

I'm not a vocalist, though I've been around many. My husband played drums for Sonny James (you have to be a fan of older country music maybe to recognize him, but he's in the CMA Hall of Fame and was a big deal in his day), and my BIL is a minister of music. Mainly, I think all this talk about vocals comes down to what pleases us in tone, pitch, timbre, as well as what moves us emotionally.

I agree that, on occasion, Clay does have some harsh tones, perhaps when he pushes his voice/instrument to its capacity before reigning it in. Sometimes it's beautifully done, sometimes not quite. With his upbringing, he can no doubt attain a country sound/twang at the drop of a hat. "Tractor" was not a stretch for someone growing up in NC.

**waves** Hello, Cindilu! Keep your songs, g/f -- you know what you like, and that's what it's all about. Music is very subjective. :wub:

Back to scheduling lessons ... :music:

Caro

Edited by Carolina Clay

Ikeep thinking this subject is past and I can't comment on it, but someone else always brings it back - well, if you like baseball, I guess you could likethat film, they are both snoozers for me. The only thing I liked about baseball was drinking beer. The only movie worse than F of D was the baseball movie with Robert Redford, I actually tried to sit through the whole movie , but just could not take it when the girl in the white dress appeared - too much symbolism. I would rather watch Plan 9, at least I can mock it.

Bad-mouthing The Natural? :scream:

Except -- there's no crying in baseball!!!! [/League of Their Own, another fantastic baseball movie}

btw, Mystery Science Theater 3000 fan?

Lurved MST3K. Simply lurved. I miss Joel, Mike, and the bots.

What I'd really like to do is see the score for LAA. The piano is what holds that song together. Jesse is keeping a pretty steady beat which allows the two soloists to bend the beat somewhat. After four nights, Clay and the cellist probably could "take liberties" more than usual, JMO.

I find musical scores fascinating, especially with watching them in conjunction to listening to the piece being played. It usually suggests the liberties that the musician made with their performance...and I find those choices fascinating too.

I wish I had thought of that scanning idea for the classics medley sooner; there's probably not enough time for the group sponsoring the auction to have the thing scanned and then sent out for distribution (with a donation made to the BAF). Darn it.

BTW, that thing is up to $1,125, I think (I last checked this morning). The baton of Jesse's is over $100 now.

The baton of Jesse's is over $100 now.

Just imagine what that baton of Clay's would bring.

That's a twofer. Double your money, double your pleasure.

ETA I got to be on top so soon... :medium-smiley-070:

happy036.gifLover Eyes is on top! :lol:

Heh. I hated Bull Durham when I watched it. I've heard I shouldn't though, so I might have to watch it again.

Except -- there's no crying in baseball!!!! [/League of Their Own, another fantastic baseball movie}
:cryingwlaughter:

I'd love it we could get examples of the musical commentary... like what specifically was good about a particular orchestra (with pointers to examples from clack if possible) or when Clay's voice is one thing or another. I wanna understand, but the words alone probably aren't going to do it for me.

Hey, I could've sworn that not too long ago I heard or read something in the news that the people who owned Field of Dreams were running out of money and were going to have to sell it? Maybe the state or the county or whatever is going to take over the management of it?

BTW...I love that movie. And yeah, my hubby got all teary, too....but that's nothing...he cries over Ghost Whisperer on Friday nights (when he's not drooling over Jennifer Love Hewitt's boobage spilling out of every.single.thing.she.wears.)

Did someone ask for a picture of Clay's instrument? :lilredani:

dcwaldo.jpg

and this picture still CMSU....looks as though Angela knows how to tune his instrument, doesn't it? :whistling-1:

Waldo3test-1.jpg

The baton of Jesse's is over $100 now.

Just imagine what that baton of Clay's would bring.

FINALLY...............I've been trying to catch up for evah. I could of been done an hour ago but I found my eyes were glazing over. :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter: Trying to understand all the orchestra talk. :scream: Whiz bang, it all went right over my head. Was there an orchestra with Clay? He is all I ever hear and see when I'm there. :Thud: Then this came along and wow I was wide awake again. Muchas Gracious Senorita...........I want to watch Clay play the organ........... :eusa_whistle:

Congrats to YSRN for the mod position. If you feel the need to "Mod" me, could I request a pretty purple or red ink. I've been blue inked to death. :cryingwlaughter:

I can't keep up!!! I can't keep up!!!! :cry4:

Ok, twin, that picturefest was gorgeee, but you posted one of them twice, which means you owe me one more hot photo of my boyfriend. Pay up!

Okie dokie!

How's this?

hair.jpg

Hey, Clay What's your Sleep Number?????

69, if there's a God.

BWAH!!

Well excuuuuuuuuuse me (TM Steve Martin) for using a schmoopie analogy from a baseball movie that everyone seems to hate :bigemo_harabe_net-24: Guess I'll go off and watch my complete dvd set of Kevin Costner movies :cryingwlaughter:

*sniff* It's my favorite movie. I love that shit. Kevin... Ray Liotta... James Earl Jones... What's not to love...? Esp. given jamar's most excellent synopsis. :lol: Well, maybe Tim Busfield... ever since that horrid 30-something show I can't stand him. But yeah, *sniff* Er, I guess now isn't a good time to mention the Kevin Costner oh-fishally autographed picture hanging in my office right next to Clay. :lol:

I LOVE that movie!! LOVE IT!!!!!!! Makes me cry every time!

I think I love this board. Really, I do. It reminds me of how Eayor used to be over at RHT. Do you have fanfic here? Hee.

It figures I would find this board just when I'm going to start working full time. I've been part time for the last four months and was just offered a full time position. I start it on Friday and we can NOT go on the Internet at all at work. I do have a Blackberry that I use to keep up a bit.

There just aren't enough Clay hours in the day.

Many of you already know me from RHT/Eayor. I do post some at CV but I'm not well known there.

I'm nice and smutty, too.

~Paulette

Paulette, I know what you mean about work getting in the way of your Clay fun!!! I am stealing away a few minutes here but made a note to myself that I have only read up to page 43! I decided to post while I had a chance - and before I was further behind!

Glad you found your way over here! Even if you are starting to work full time (and congratulations on that!).

Shit! I knew that Woof! wasn't unduck-like enough! :lol:

Er, um, ok.

Heh. I'll try to do as little as possible. /FCA mod creed

That woof really cracked me up, even though it wasn't unduck-like enough. CONGRAGUTATIONS, YSRN!

:clap:

Ikeep thinking this subject is past and I can't comment on it, but someone else always brings it back - well, if you like baseball, I guess you could like that film, they are both snoozers for me. The only thing I liked about baseball was drinking beer. The only movie worse than F of D was the baseball movie with Robert Redford, I actually tried to sit through the whole movie , but just could not take it when the girl in the white dress appeared - too much symbolism. I would rather watch Plan 9, at least I can mock it.

Plan 9 is the funniest bad movie out there. My God, it's rife with mistakes, inconsistencies, and horrible dialog. The paper plates put on fire and thrown across the camera make me roll on the floor with laughter. Hubby and I occasionally watch it just so we can laugh our asses off.

I agree that, on occasion, Clay does have some harsh tones, perhaps when he pushes his voice/instrument to its capacity before reigning it in. Sometimes it's beautifully done, sometimes not quite. With his upbringing, he can no doubt attain a country sound/twang at the drop of a hat. "Tractor" was not a stretch for someone growing up in NC.

Caro

I'm not a pundit, either, but I've also noticed that Clay takes liberties with the timing on the live version of LAA. On the recording, he's very precise with his timing, but when he sings it live, he takes liberties. (oooohh, that sounds sexy - I'd better not digress into smut...) Ahem. Anyway, I think he's just using some rubato, which he has the perfect right to do as a soloist.

Definition of rubato - Rhythmic flexibility within a phrase or measure; a relaxation of strict time. Having certain notes arbitrarily lengthened while others are correspondingly shortened, or vice versa.

As Caro said, it's Jesse's job as the pianist to keep the beat and the rhythm going, and Clay can then play around with the vocal timing as he pleases to suit the mood of the piece. Soloists do this kind of thing all of the time. It's sort of like melisma, only with rhythm. There may a little room for the cellist to use some rubato, too, but overall I think the cello part should be played as written, with perhaps a little bit of relaxation of the beat now and then. IMHO, YMMV, etc. :)

Yep, Clay does hit some harsh notes now and then. That he can produce such amazingly beautiful tones with so little training is amazing to me. He really has a natural gift. The harsh tones don't happen that often, but are off-putting to me. I usually just keep clack that doesn't have those tones so it isn't distracting.

Edited by Gibby

Ahem. Anyway, I think he's just using some rubato, which he has the perfect right to do as a soloist.

Definition of rubato - Rhythmic flexibility within a phrase or measure; a relaxation of strict time. Having certain notes arbitrarily lengthened while others are correspondingly shortened, or vice versa.

As Caro said, it's Jesse's job as the pianist to keep the beat and the rhythm going, and Clay can then play around with the vocal timing as he pleases to suit the mood of the piece. Soloists do this kind of thing all of the time. It's sort of like melisma, only with rhythm. There may a little room for the cellist to use some rubato, too, but overall I think the cello part should be played as written, with perhaps a little bit of relaxation of the beat now and then.

Giddy ... Gabby ... Gibby -- excellent lesson in rubato! :clap:

Caro

Edited by Carolina Clay

Just wanted to say a quick "hello" before I immerse myself in a tub of hot water...8 hours on my feet scrubbing shelves and straightening books...and I get to do it all over again tomorrow...good thing I am getting paid for this...I don't clean this much at home! :lol:

You all have been pretty chatty today...the music discussion is interesting even if I don't quite understand most of it!

Love all the pretty pictures!

Kim

TODAY IS DEADLINE TO MAKE PLEDGE

If you are a member of a Beta Alpha Chapter, you can include the chapter name with your donation and your chapter will receive the credit.

FCA-MAD is our chapter name - When it comes time to pay, either mail a check with this on the memo line or email or mail a copy of your receipt to TBAF, asking them to credit FCA-MAD.

Thanks.

TBAF Issues "Fifth Grader" ChallengeAs you may be aware, Bubel/Aiken Foundation co-founder Clay Aiken is appearing on a celebrity edition of "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?" hosted by Jeff Foxworthy on FOX. The show will air later, but Clay is taping his episode on August 28. For more info on the show, copy and paste this web address into your internet browser:

http://fox.com/areyousmarter/

Beyond receiving the amazing expos

ure the show will bring, the Foundation will receive at least a $25,000 donation from the show. Anything beyond the $25,000 that Clay earns by answering "elementary" questions will also be donated to the Foundation. He will need to answer 6 questions to get beyond the minimum. 11 questions correct means the Foundation will receive a $1 MILLION check from the show.

We would like to issue a challenge to all of you. We would like you to pledge an amount for each correct answer Clay gives on the show. Whether it's 50 cents or 100 dollars, every amount will help us get closer to our goal of 100 Let's ALL Play camps in 2008.

If you would like to make a pledge, simply reply to this email, pledge@bubelaiken.org, with your pledge amount. We would like to receive all pledges by August 21 when we will announce the total pledges made. After the show, we will announce the number of correct answers (we're going to assume 11) and then you can make your donations online at www.bubelaiken.org or send in a check or money order to:

The Bubel/Aiken Foundation

ATTN: Smarter Pledge

8601 Six Forks Road

Suite 400

Raleigh, NC 27615

If you are a member of a Beta Alpha Chapter, you can include the chapter name with your donation and your chapter will receive the credit.

Also, and this is a big ALSO, why not take this opportunity to pass on this challenge to your family, friends, co-workers, and neighbors? This not only will help with this particular drive, but can also spread more awareness about the Foundation.

Thank you so much for your support!

Sincerely,

Aron Hall

Director Services

I can't add anything to the music discussion, since I'm pretty ignorant about that stuff - it's fascinating though, to read what those of you who do have to say.

This I can respond to though:

Oh, you wanted dancing bananas - will these do?

To quote Gwen Stefani:

This shit is bananas.

B bananacheer.gif Abananajoy.gif Nbanana_jump.gif Abanana_dead.gif N banana_whip.gifAbanana6.gif S

Wooo Hooo!! Bottom of the page! banana_zzz.gif

Hey, goldarngirl delurked...and with the vapors too. :lol:

fan.gif

Does that help? :)

Thank you. Obviously I was blinded by the Aiken and couldn't see the fan if my life depended upon it. Although now that I'm cooled off where was that picture again???? and now I can't find the drool emoticon this will have to do. :Thud:

*runs and hugs goldarngirl* So glad to see you posting!! Please come and play some more.

(If you don't remember who I am by my screenname - we met in Colorado - :) )

Yes I do remember :hello: (I give up, just imagine a little yellow guy waving) I actually met up with Reiki4Clay in Syracuse and was able to say hi there. Thank you for the welcome.