#14 We were all up on him screaming "Yeah! Yeah!"

ldyjocelyn

Next thread title poll  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the next main thread title

• I'm easy....I will take Clay any way he wants to give it to me!
    • Clay's instrument is full and especially soul-piercing the deeper it goes.
    • LOOKING FOR WALDO
    • Cut The Crap And Show Us Your Willy
    • [He's] a top quality human being
    • Clay Aiken: You are a Man of Character
    • Clay Aiken... bringing brainy back!!!
    • the Earl of Aikenberry: a man of character and Naughty by Nature
    • We were all up on him screaming "Yeah! Yeah!" (redux)

Ah, so, only 2 posts here, but I have been around almost everyone here....somewhere! :elephanthugs:

Okay, I saw the ff on 42, now I am off to 39!

I still haven't seen any flames on that cello yet!

I have been scheduling fall lessons ever since I wrote the previous post, but I see you folks are doing some great analysis. Just gives me an excuse to run the Orlando show again ... EEEEE!!! While I wait for some call backs, here are a few thoughts ...

One of my favorite solos -- and I'm prejudiced because it's my major instrument -- is the oboe on "Everything I Have." There were some excellent oboists in the tour orchestras, as well as on the album.

Of course, two other obvious solos are the cello in LAA and the great little sax ride at the end of "Perfect Strangers." You can see Clay give these soloists props in several concerts. Puggmom, a high school alto saxophonist in the OFC Blogs, and I have debated the fact that the sax sounds more like a soprano than an alto.

I love the sound of French Horns, and you can really hear them soar in the countermelodies of "West Wing."

Clay's voice fits so beautifully with an orchestra, but I think he knows some of his fans would like another "band" tour with the new CD. Probably if the new songs include upbeat/edgy material, his next CD tour will reflect that. I NEVER extrapolate, so this is not factual. :lol:

I am an instrumental music major, but I love the way Clay sings harmony. He makes the ideal duet partner in that he lets the solo part take the lead. My mother, a vocal ed major, appreciated this, too. Until her death in 2005, she had to hear Clay's voice every single time I visited her in the nursing home. And every time, she sang harmony for him the same way, "a la Clay Aiken."

YIKES, this was written before I saw Gibby's -- just corrected that from Giddy, LOL! -- question about my favorite orchestras of the tour. I didn't download all of them, so I'm counting on you guys. For sure, the last one because they were together for four shows. I think I remember that Chautauqua was really good. Seems like I remember that Raleigh was not, probably due to some of those heat-related tuning problems.

I would love to the see the manuscript for "The Classics." Heck, I'd like to see one for the whole show. :P

Caro listen.gif

Edited by Carolina Clay

I see the discussion has moved on to flaming instruments. Is that what the blinkie rivet was about? I do believe Clay is proud of his.

Do you mean that Clay's flaming instrument .... is not his voice?? :fca:

All I know is that Clay's instrument is full and can reach both high and low and is especially soul-piercing the deeper it goes. Also, when allowed to extend to its fullest, the overall effect on those on the receiving end is quite....pleasant.

When we were waiting outside the gates at Cary, we met a young woman who had come from South Carolina with her boyfriend that day. It appears that the orchestra needed a viola player or maybe another .

So obviously he did not have anytime to practice with them before the rehearsal with Clay. She did say he had played with them a few times before. This plus the unbearable heat could be a reason for the poor sound there. I expected them to be exceptional so I was a little surprised.

Disclaimer: I have never been a musician nor do I pretend to be one. :clown_4:

When we were waiting outside the gates at Cary, we met a young woman who had come from South Carolina with her boyfriend that day. It appears that the orchestra needed a viola player or maybe another .

So obviously he did not have anytime to practice with them before the rehearsal with Clay. She did say he had played with them a few times before. This plus the unbearable heat could be a reason for the poor sound there. I expected them to be exceptional so I was a little surprised.

Disclaimer: I have never been a musician nor do I pretend to be one. :clown_4:

Somewhat off the topic; but I tell all my violinists if they REALLY want to be indispensable, they should learn to play viola, too. They can almost write their own ticket. Just like this violist got called while many violinists in Raleigh couldn't fill the bill. :)

Caro

Well couchie...when you find your voice again, I'd love to hear your take on what you watched and heard. I've come to the point of being angrier at the way the fandom is pussyfooting around actually naming the fan who booed (CAP), yet seems to think it's just fine to throw Ethel's name all over the place. Why is that? It's not like CAP has tried to keep her comments to herself before (on main public threads AND via hit-and-run nasty PMs)...why is the fandom 'protecting' her about this?

Karma's a bitch, y'all. <_<

Actually, I think just about everyone, including CLay, wishes that whole episode never happened. I imagine CLay wished he could've taken back HIS hasty, ill-chosen 'quip' that basically injected a very un-funny thing---racism---into an increasingly uncomfortable situation. Of COURSE, he was 'kidding'! But man...I almost scraped my chin on the floor when I heard that come out of his mouth.

That sometimes-too-quick-for-his-own-good mouth.

A beautiful mouth, to be sure....but geeeeez :unsure:

Since I decided that I like this board, I thought I would go back and read this thread. I was shocked! Shocked, I tell you, that you actually revealed the name of the booer. This is the only place I have seen it mentioned. It's all been very hush, hush and behind the scenes.

Then, it was followed by an intelligent conversation. I'm still in shock!!!

I believe the truth about the booer was mentioned at a couple of other boards that don't strongarm posters. I don't understand why it is OK to pm all around the fandom and reveal a name, but it can't be mentioned openly at least once on some boards. Ethel surely took her share of the bullets. Non of that computes for me.

Remember the cello player from FLA. I went to his message board and left a comment and told him I thought his playing was lovely. Of course, I know nothing about the cello but, hey, he sold it to me. His name is Paul Fleury. He left a nice comment on a YouTube that had some of his playing in Clay's LAA. He said Clay's 4 performances of the song were very good.

Edited by merryclay

YIKES, this was written before I saw Gibby's -- just corrected that from Giddy, LOL! -- question about my favorite orchestras of the tour. I didn't download all of them, so I'm counting on you guys. For sure, the last one because they were together for four shows. I think I remember that Chautauqua was really good. Seems like I remember that Raleigh was not, probably due to some of those heat-related tuning problems.

Caro listen.gif

Oooh, I enjoyed your entire post! And I agree with all of your points. Your 'Giddy' typo is hilarious!

I'm an instrumentalist, too - I play piano and keyboards. But I've also taken voice lessons, and I sing back up quite a bit. And since I play for lots of vocalists, I get to hear their voice coaches talking to them about technique and performance all of the time. Makes me appreciate Clay's instrument so much. I mean, his voice. *snerk* I had to clarify that because of all of the smutty people around here.

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

jmh was talking about 5 against 4 - yeah, I've always just called that 5 against 4, too. What I find even harder is playing one rhythm on the piano or keyboards, and singing a slightly different rhythm. Another difficult thing is to sing a slightly different harmony from what you're playing, when the music is written with a little dissonance. Makes me crazy, but I enjoy the challenge.

jmh also mentioned 5/4 time. A really good example of 5/4 time is in the Lord of the Rings soundtracks, in the music for the Orcs. It was a great 5/4 beat, with beats 1 and 4 accented, like this:

1 2 3 4 5 1 2 3 4 5 1 2 3 4 5

I believe in the third movie the accents were changed to beats 1 and 3. Once you learn how to play in 5/4, it's great fun.

No, I'm not nerdy at all!! Why do you ask? :eusa_whistle:

Edited by Gibby

I only visit, CV, RHT and OFC and I never saw Cap's name mentioned. This was just posted at CV:

Please read the following Admin Note. We felt compelled to write it in response to PM's that we have received and backchannel chatter making the rounds.[/quote]

Clayversity admin note removed.

After consulation with couchie, I'm leaving the idea that there is a message out there on CV for those members to read. However, as CV is a "members only" board, it is felt that we should NOT be discussing other boards rules or guidelines. This isn't a "dreaded blue admin note," but please keep in mind that the FCA tries to talk in generalities about the fandom.

If you have any questions, PM me or any other admin or mod. -- ldyj

changing LdyJ's text to the dreaded blue to make things clearer. couchie

now back to your regularly scheduled music talk and smutting

I love all the musical talk today -- although I'm having bad flashbacks about 5/4, from my days at a piano player. God, that Chopin piece was a BEAR.

Speaking of playing musical instruments...did you know Clay plays the microphone? Or at least he gives them mouth farts...

Dsc05331.jpg

:lilredani:

I have been scheduling fall lessons ever since I wrote the previous post, but I see you folks are doing some great analysis. Just gives me an excuse to run the Orlando show again ... EEEEE!!! While I wait for some call backs, here are a few thoughts ...

One of my favorite solos -- and I'm prejudiced because it's my major instrument -- is the oboe on "Everything I Have." There were some excellent oboists in the tour orchestras, as well as on the album.

Of course, two other obvious solos are the cello in LAA and the great little sax ride at the end of "Perfect Strangers." You can see Clay give these soloists props in several concerts. Puggmom, a high school alto saxophonist in the OFC Blogs, and I have debated the fact that the sax sounds more like a soprano than an alto.

I love the sound of French Horns, and you can really hear them soar in the countermelodies of "West Wing."

Clay's voice fits so beautifully with an orchestra, but I think he knows some of his fans would like another "band" tour with the new CD. Probably if the new songs include upbeat/edgy material, his next CD tour will reflect that. I NEVER extrapolate, so this is not factual. :lol:

I am an instrumental music major, but I love the way Clay sings harmony. He makes the ideal duet partner in that he lets the solo part take the lead. My mother, a vocal ed major, appreciated this, too. Until her death in 2005, she had to hear Clay's voice every single time I visited her in the nursing home. And every time, she sang harmony for him the same way, "a la Clay Aiken."

I would love to the see the manuscript for "The Classics." Heck, I'd like to see one for the whole show. :P

Caro listen.gif

Caro listen.gif

Oooh, I enjoyed your entire post! And I agree with all of your points. Your 'Giddy' typo is hilarious!

I'm an instrumentalist, too - I play piano and keyboards. But I've also taken voice lessons, and I sing back up quite a bit. And since I play for lots of vocalists, I get to hear their voice coaches talking to them about technique and performance all of the time. Makes me appreciate Clay's instrument so much. I mean, his voice. *snerk* I had to clarify that because of all of the smutty people around here.

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

jmh was talking about 5 against 4 - yeah, I've always just called that 5 against 4, too. What I find even harder is playing one rhythm on the piano or keyboards, and singing a slightly different rhythm. Another difficult thing is to sing a slightly different harmony from what you're playing, when the music is written with a little dissonance. Makes me crazy, but I enjoy the challenge.

jmh also mentioned 5/4 time. A really good example of 5/4 time is in the Lord of the Rings soundtracks, in the music for the Orcs. It was a great 5/4 beat, with beats 1 and 4 accented, like this:

1 2 3 4 5 1 2 3 4 5 1 2 3 4 5

I believe in the third movie the accents were changed to beats 1 and 3. Once you learn how to play in 5/4, it's great fun.

No, I'm not nerdy at all!! Why do you ask? :eusa_whistle:

Just wanted to thank you guys--I'm loving this. You could go on all day and I'd be fine with it.

I studied piano through 1st yr. college and violin for a few years in jr. high, and sang in choirs and choruses throughout grade school, but it's been decades since i did any of that, and I'm not an expert at all--but I'm interested in listening to people getting into some depth about music.

BWAH, ldyj!!

Speaking for myself only of course... I spoke CAPs name out of respect for another human being. I don't like labeling people. She has a name and it's not "Booer".

And I'll just stick my foot out here and ask why it's ok to bring an admin post from another board here? I happen to appreciate and respect dudley's position and her post, if that's what we're supposed to do with it here... weigh in.

Edited by YSRN

Speaking for myself only of course... I spoke CAPs name out of respect for another human being. I don't like labeling people. She has a name and it's not "Booer".

And I'll just stick my foot out here and ask why it's ok to bring an admin post from another board here? I happen to appreciate and respect dudley's position and her post, if that's what we're supposed to do with it here... weigh in.

We have new members getting familiar with us. LdyJ removed it right away..although she forgot to sign her name.

I'm a member of CV but am not really that active..but if I have anything to say about that policy I will go there to do it.

Our policies are different than other boards and we stand by them. that's all.

And FYI, as a mod, you can edit if you see things first! :cryingwlaughter:

BWAH..oh sorry..you can't edit a damn thing until I do things all official like. heh. Give me a moment.

There! see...we don't know what we are doing around here at all. YSRN is now really really official..unlike her unofficial official status after the first announcement. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Yup, as a not-a-mod/not-an-admin I have to agree. We're fun and free-spirited because we're teeny, and things just get worked out without the need for a lot of modding. CV has rules befitting a board of that size and if FCA ever got to be that big, we'd have the same sorts of issues CV has and we'd have to figure out some more formal way of dealing with them. Least that's how I see it. Some of y'all who are used to CV probably have no idea what a change has been wrought on a little board like this just by having 75 new members in a week. :RedGuy:

Actually, I'm confuzzled about Thankful's post anyway...ldyjocelyn posted in Thankful's post? The quote Thankful brought over is in blue but the text after it and before ldyjocelyn's name isn't, but the text is the stuff from OUR admin?

huh?

help.

Or not...to tell you the truth, I don't really have a burning desire to go down this road again....but whatevah. I said my stuff about my feelings re: creating a level playing field if there's any discussion about fans---since Ethel's name was all over the place, I saw no reason not to name CAP, too. That was my only reason...fair's fair and all that...(And of course, since then I've heard there were other 'booers' and 'eyerollers', so what about THEIR names, huh? Starts to be sorta McCarthy like, doesn't it?)

Back to Clay's instrument. I love what somebody way back there said about Clay's musical artistry and talent---I only took one year of piano way back when and have never had vocal training other than a semester of a voice class in college, but I've always sung in choirs and actually did gigs during my 20's as a 'professional' singer with a group and with a lone guitarist in smokey nightclubs...heh. There are so many things about Clay's voice that I appreciate (although not all things---he sometimes has a harsh, ear-blasting nasal quality, IMO)...and I do recognize how adept he is at harmonizing and thinking on his big feet when he needs to mesh with an orchestra or accompanist...

One thing I'd like to ask the musical pundits here....on LAA, sometimes the timing seems odd to me---that maybe Clay is coming back in a little too early or maybe the cellist is a hair late or something...is that just my ear or is it designed to be that way? Or am I hearing things that are/aren't there? :wacko:

Actually, I'm confuzzled about Thankful's post anyway...ldyjocelyn posted in Thankful's post? The quote Thankful brought over is in blue but the text after it and before ldyjocelyn's name isn't, but the text is the stuff from OUR admin?

huh?

help.

just to clarify..the entire Clayversity admin note was posted. LdyJocelyn removed the post, but left that one line to let their members know they could go to CV to read it. She forgot to sign her name to the edit. That has been fixed. So uh LdyJ..maybe the color would be helpful heee. I guess the bottom line is that what CV chooses to do is none of our business.

I do think it's quite unfair that Cap gets to be the face of the issue but life isn't fair. It would be a witch hunt if we went around trying to figure out who Clay was talking to with regards to the eyerolling...and although I'm nosy that way... I've moved on as well.

Or not...to tell you the truth, I don't really have a burning desire to go down this road again....but whatevah. I said my stuff about my feelings re: creating a level playing field if there's any discussion about fans---since Ethel's name was all over the place, I saw no reason not to name CAP, too. That was my only reason...fair's fair and all that...

I totally agree. I do so appreciate the fact that I was able to come here and get it off my chest rather than tiptoeing around. I think that's why the subject got so much mileage. If we'd been able to address it right off it would have died sooner. Anyway, I'm done and have nothing more to say about it. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Back to Clay's instrument.

Yes, please. With pictures. :)

Edited by Bookwhore

Back to Clay's instrument. I love what somebody way back there said about Clay's musical artistry and talent---I only took one year of piano way back when and have never had vocal training other than a semester of a voice class in college, but I've always sung in choirs and actually did gigs during my 20's as a 'professional' singer with a group and with a lone guitarist in smokey nightclubs...heh. There are so many things about Clay's voice that I appreciate (although not all things---he sometimes has a harsh, ear-blasting nasal quality, IMO)...and I do recognize how adept he is at harmonizing and thinking on his big feet when he needs to mesh with an orchestra or accompanist...

One thing I'd like to ask the musical pundits here....on LAA, sometimes the timing seems odd to me---that maybe Clay is coming back in a little too early or maybe the cellist is a hair late or something...is that just my ear or is it designed to be that way? Or am I hearing things that are/aren't there? :wacko:

Not a pundit, but I agree about LAA. That's what I was trying to get at with my earlier question.

Clay's harmonies are amazing, and I think one of the reasons he appreciates Q & A is for their ability to harmonize.

Thankful4Clay, since I have the same board heritage as you, I thought you might be interested in some of the research that went into the "booer" conclusion. I had to scroll back about 10 pages in the previous thread to find this list deducing Clay's favorite cuss word:

couchie wrote:

BWAH..you know what..Ethel's name gets bandied about like nobody's business and from what I understand it's because she's a famewhore so she gets what she gets. Well, anyone who boos at a Clay concert is a famewhore of another kind so why is she being shown such respect. I honestly don't get it. She booed, in public, at his own show. It's on the clack. So yeah fuck it..I say yes take the r out of his favorite cuss word and there you have it.

Should we just call her She Who Must Not Be Named? (apologies to the HPH KAndre & Co.) :cryingwlaughter: Seriously though. Why is it not okay? Clearly she doesn't have any guilt, compunction or shame over her actions. I figure if you do something like this, you at least ought to own it. The anonymity of the message board gives people a bravado they don't always possess in 'real life'. Oh, right. Nevermind.

Voldemort was in Orlando? :cryingwlaughter:

H E L L...no R

H E C K....no R

D A D G U M....no R

B A L L S...no R

A S S....no R

M E S S....no R

SH..S T U F F....no R

C R A P..... :)

Now about that 5 against 4, I totally missed the question. Looks like a good explanation from Gibby. :clap:

While I'm at it, I'll put some thought into Clay's instrument. The puffed cheeks are hilarious -- I would have let him have it I were his band director. :lol:

Caro listen.gif

There! see...we don't know what we are doing around here at all. YSRN is now really really official..unlike her unofficial official status after the first announcement. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Shit! I knew that Woof! wasn't unduck-like enough! :lol:

Er, um, ok.

Heh. I'll try to do as little as possible. /FCA mod creed

Iowa.jpg

Whoa, 45 pages?!!??!!! Dang. :RedGuy:

I've been reading backwards out of necessity, and can only say two things. Kevin Costner was my boyfriend long before I ever dreamed of tall, skinny redheaded boys with golden voices. *le sigh*

And I am clearly, patently unqualified to be doing audio recommendations. Listen and WTLGD are up for grabs!

Hey, I could've sworn that not too long ago I heard or read something in the news that the people who owned Field of Dreams were running out of money and were going to have to sell it? Maybe the state or the county or whatever is going to take over the management of it?

BTW...I love that movie. And yeah, my hubby got all teary, too....but that's nothing...he cries over Ghost Whisperer on Friday nights (when he's not drooling over Jennifer Love Hewitt's boobage spilling out of every.single.thing.she.wears.)

Did someone ask for a picture of Clay's instrument? :lilredani:

dcwaldo.jpg

and this picture still CMSU....looks as though Angela knows how to tune his instrument, doesn't it? :whistling-1:

Waldo3test-1.jpg

:nanadance2:

Surely that deserves a dancing banana moose moose's banana

Oh what the hell, congrats, YSRN :P

....here I'll share my new favorite pic...(yum)

th_staciaFTM1.jpg