#18: He has always had the VOICE! But, boy has he ever learned to use his instrument!

Ansamcw

Thread title poll  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• Cheerful snark, cheerful criticism, cheerful smut, cheerful acceptance, cheerful sporking, cheerful threats, cheerful maniacal laughter....
    • There are so many different kinds of beautiful...
    • He's blossomed from a confirmed nerd to an international bon vivant.
    • You never know when that rush of emotion will hit you when it comes to Clay!
    • All it says to me is that Clay's critics are full of s***, six ways from Sunday.
    • Clay Aiken:glorious voice, excellent comic actor, master of character and man in tights!
    • This guy is not only a star, he is a lot more...

Didn't get home from work until 8pm. Wactched "Pushing Daisies" which was cute and now I am only up to page 14.

IMO - This contest is a STUPID idea. Frankly knowing this fandom, the last thing I want to pay big bucks for is to listen to fans read stupid stories at a concert. I want to hear Clay sing. I want his off the cuff banter. I DO NOT want to pay to hear a bunch of famerwhore fans reading mostly made up crap in an effort to get recognized by Clay!!

<snip>

(And yes, I would say that this to his face too if given the opportunity!)

Let me address the last part first - I don't limit myself to what I would say to Clay's face. My rule of thumb is to treat Clay as if he posted at the same board I am posting at. We all have different interpretations of how we respect Clay and respect other posters.

Well, playbiller, not to beat a dead horse, but I DO respect Clay - a lot!!! A whole lot and frankly I get tired of people accusing me of not respecting him because I see nothing wrong with saying when I don't agree or like something he does. I am NOT telling him what to do, just expressing my thoughts on what he does, I would do the same thing if he posted here. Frankly, I appreciate it when someone expresses their opinion on something I do or like - as long as they don't dsrespect me as a person. I would like to think Clay would appreciate it too. I think he respects honesty. I don't say what I say in an effort to change his mind. If he posted here I would hope he would tell me that he respects my opinion but he is going to do whatever he wants.

About Clay's idea being stupid - this is kind of an issue of mine - the fact that things are judged before they happen, like people who have already decided what Clay's set will be like in the concert. - Did you know he will sing the same songs this year because he can save money and Clay is nothing if not cheap? Of course, no one has been to a rehearsal and they don't really know what the songs will be, but it is decided! I am keeping an open mind about the stories because there are lots of ways to go with it and Clay wants to be an all around entertainer so I think he is introducing new elements AND he is adding value to the fan club! Can't enter if you are not a member! And a lot of people are talking about not renewing... wonder if they will now?

I was only commenting on the IDEA. Often ideas sound stupid on paper and turn out ok. Sometimes they don't. Only time will tell, but it still sounds like a bad idea TO ME. I will be thrilled to say after the tour that I was wrong.

You betcha! If he didn't losing me during the JNT05 - with that awful hair and those awful vignettes - he may never lose me!!!

I am not trying to be disagreeable with you, but - I liked the Vignettes - Interestingly, most of the NJU I met loved the vignettes - who hated the vignettes? -A few NJU, I assume, and mostly fans who posted on the internet. I sat in the balcony to watch one show and met a lot of people for whom this was their only show and they ate.them.up! Maybe too many people sat too close and did not get the big picture! Although the bad sight lines was an issue, still it was a learning experience. I would love to see that JNT made into a Christmas special.

Wow, this sure was the pick on CG post! :cryingwlaughter: I know many, many, many fans - and not the usual suspects of fans - who HATED the vignettes. In fact, the majority of fans I knew at the time hated the vignettes. I didn't talk to any of the NJU types, but I don't think anyone took a significant enough survery to say that only a few hated them - or that a lot hated them. I do remember, though, reading several NJU stories from people who said they didn't like vignettes.

Personally, I hated them because I didn't think they were well done. I thought it was very amateurishly written and acted. I thought the story was too been there, done that. I felt like I was watching a not so great junior high Christmas play - except the singing was FAR superior. But that was just me.

I didn't like the vignettes. A lot of others didn't either. You liked them. A lot of others liked them too. Different strokes and all that. I just don't think I should continually have to defend my disliking them!

Googling Mike Nichols and boy am I old. He directed "The Graduate" in 1968. Sheesh. Anyway, he's starting rehearsals for a new Broadway play in January: Playbill - Odet's Country Girl. I don't know if he could do both at once.

Mike Nichols and Elaine May: American Masters

Mike Nichols and Elaine May revolutionized the landscape of American comedy. By perfecting the art of improvisation and introducing it to the public through their appearances in clubs and on television and radio, they forever changed our expectations of comedy, and our sense of humor.

<snip>

Masters of the dead-pan dialogue, Nichols and May created flawlessly improvised scenes that were outrageously funny, yet simply understated. Their dry wit and wry satire enabled them to lampoon faceless bureaucracy and such previously sacrosanct institutions as hospitals, politics, funeral homes, and even motherhood. Like other great comedy duos, Nichols and May perfectly complemented each other. They seemed so attuned and at ease with each other that the miscommunication they often based their skits on were all the funnier.

Mike Nichols is Diane Sawyer's husband I believe.....

Oh an as to the Spamalot rumor -- HUGE salt shaker here but I would LOVE to see it!

Didn't get home from work until 8pm. Watched "Pushing Daisies" which was cute and now I am only up to page 14.

I watched "Pushing Daisies" also, and I lurved it! Which means it will get canceled in 5 episodes or less. I found it to be very whimsical and quirky, but also a little dark. The visual style was very different and almost cartoon-like.

Hey, CG! The Rockies won today, in case you didn't know. :woohoo:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KeepingFaith!! Your Christmas story was hilarious!!! It would be a perfect story to submit.

:7254:

Very quick catch up and one remark...

Whoever is going to Spamalot....HILARIOUS...I've seen it twice. Once in Houston this summer and last Sunday in Denver. Laughed through the whole thing from start to finish.

Have fun!

Hey, jacks! Were you traveling in the Denver area, or do you live around here?

Stargazer..I've read about this..sounds incredibly cute..can't wait to see it.

BTW, when we rate the 2007 Xmas show - hey where'd everybody go heee, maybe after opening night we can grab our song and we'd have the entire length of the concert to actually work on the project. :bolt:

KAndre you're in charge again...

:threadkiller:

This sounds like an excellent idea, Couchie! I was already thinking about volunteering for a song right after the first concert. Won't be too difficult, since I'll be attending it!

Happiest of birthdays, keepingfaith!

Have nothing against Broadway, used to watch some of these shows the way I do Clay Aiken concerts, enjoyed half of Spamalot here in Houston last April, and it would be nice to be able to say ("Oh, I want to see Clay this weekend, let's check those Continental/JetBlue specials to NYC"), but doing 8 performances a week of exactly the same thing (ie. someone else's vision of a show) doesn't seem to be a good match for Clay's style and personality. At most, I see a limited run like the time when Ricky Martin (I think) was Marius in Les Mis. And back then many Les Mis fans were horrified and annoyed by the behavior of fans whose sole purpose was to hear him, not watch the show itself.

I think it would be a limited run too. He's too ansy to do it for too long.

Heh, as much of a fan as I am of Monty Python, British humour and Spamalot, I don't think there is any hope in hell that that blurb has a hint of truth to it. I just don't see it as something that Clay would do at this point in his career, and no, I don't think it's really his style of humour. Honestly, I think it's someone's idea of a joke. But it CMSU to surf around the boards and see the various reactions! Some people are even taking it seriously.....trying to figure out how he'd fit it in around recording and promoting his next kick-ass rockin' cd. OK then.

Oh I think it is EXACTLY his type of humor. Big time!!! I would bet IF he was considering it, the humor in it would be one reason why.

Claygasm Thanks for the warning, I scrolled very fast! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

You're welcome! That is EXACTLY why I posted the warning! I will try to always do it in circumstances like that - but I may forget from time to time so I apologize in advance.

Clay in Spamalot? Though he might get bored with the routine, honestly, this is one production that might allow him a little bit of improvisation from time to time, because it would be a comedic role. I can totally see him loving the humor of the show. And after all the Broadway shows he's seen (The Color Purple, The Jersey Boys, Wicked, etc.), it would not surprise me if he were seriously interested in trying it out.

I'd love to see him in something like this. Would it affect an album? Maybe, maybe not. The actual recording doesn't take that long. This might garner some public attention, as Fantasia's performance has for her. And it would allow him to grow and add new things to his resume.

It could be pure rumor, so I'm not investing anything into the idea. However, IMHO, I would not be shocked to see it happen.

WORD!

Personally I would LOVE to see this, but I sure am not holding my breath!

Although, he has been in NY a lot lately......

Heeee.....In other news, I am starting to think there was a Clay jeer in Cane, but no one wants to mention it because they lurve Jimmy Smits. (I don't, but then Cane is on the same time as James Spader, so it won't get watched anyway).

I saw "Cane" last night. If there was a Clay jeer in there, it sure went over my head!

Okay, here is a question - why hasn't Clay mentioned anything about narrating Rewind?

My theory:

He actually narrated this quite a while ago, perhaps several months ago, and he simply didn't realize it was already on. My guess is that he may be busy with other things, perhaps in New York, and the Idol Rewind gig may not be top of mind. I know it's a big deal to fans, but it may not be blogworthy to him at the moment.

I could imagine him preoccupied with plans for the Christmas tour, which may be why he blogged about the stories. It's entirely possible that he's been meeting with his producer, going through songs and perhaps even recording. He could be working with NBC network executives on plans for the skating special which will be taped in just a few weeks. Maybe he really is in discussions with Spamalot. He may simply be thinking of other things. And I think we've seen that he doesn't always keep up with message board discussions.

This idea that he was contractually obligated to do the program, and that he somehow resents his involvement, is something I personally find highly implausible. Idol Rewind was not even contemplated when he signed his Idol contract five years ago, and his very excellent attorneys, who were able to negotiate a departure from 19, would undoubtedly have been able to free him from any such possible obligation should one have existed in the first place. If 19/Fremantle had some kind of contractual authority over Clay, you would have seen him on American Idol Extra, the Fox Reality show which has had interviews with nearly every ex-Idol, but not, thus far, with Clay. (BTW, you may notice that AI Extra and AI Rewind share the same EIC). Kelly Clarkson's involvement with the first season of Idol Rewind was apparently minimal, if non-existent. If they could force Clay to narrate, they probably could have forced her to participate more fully as well.

BTW, legally, one cannot obtain specific performance of a personal service contract, anyway. That is to say, you cannot physically make someone perform against their will. You can sue them for breach of contract, and try for money damages, but you cannot make them actually work. But again, there is absolutely zero proof that Clay ever signed a contract with a provision for narration services on a program like American Idol Rewind.

Of course, I also like saltwaterdog's explaination:

My theory: He forgot! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cryingwlaughter.gif) I lean towards the idea that it was something Clay wanted to do; one pathway to the TV show that he wants so badly.

And I like Spam too!

The year at the end of the credits show 2006 so it may have been done a long time ago. I go with the he forgot theory.

But don't let it be said that this fandom ever passes up a chance at a conspiracy theory! :cryingwlaughter:

And yeah Gibby, I know. And against our best pitcher. My Phillies will probably disappoint again and get swept. Afterall, its not every team who has lost 10,000 plus games and won only one world series in 120 years!

Its tough being a Philadelphia sports fan.

Gibby, I live in Western Nebraska so Denver is the place I go for my addiction to live theater! I also doctor out there. I had a vascular fistula put in at Rose and my nephrologist is at Sky Ridge.

Just returned from my check ups this evening, actually.

I think it's safe to say that JNT05 along with ACAC are the two projects that had the fans most divided. I'm sure something will come along to take their place one of these days..maybe this Xmas? :cryingwlaughter:

I think if Cane dismissed one Clay Aiken at all then somebody is talking about it somewhere. I can't think of a person alive that gets a pass for it and I doubt gorgeous hunky pretty Jimmy would either.

I finally paid the ransom and got my Evening with Clay Aiken tshirt from Muski. Whooot. It's gorgeous.

I'm having so much fun planning my Clay trip. Mall of America has 500 stores? Is that right or did someone add a zero.

I keep forgetting!!!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KEEPINGFAITH!!!!!!!!!

:bday2:

So glad I got to experience your first Claying with you!! I will never forget your face and your satisfied smile after your first time!!

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

Gibby, I live in Western Nebraska so Denver is the place I go for my addiction to live theater! I also doctor out there. I had a vascular fistula put in at Rose and my nephrologist is at Sky Ridge.

Just returned from my check ups this evening, actually.

PM me the next time you'll be in the area. Maybe we could get together for lunch!

Couchie, what did you have to do to get your T shirt out of ransom? :cryingwlaughter:

CG, who knows what will happen with the playoffs! This is the first time the Rockies have been in the playoffs (they're a relatively new team), and I think everyone in Colorado is sort of in shock about it. We could have a very short run, or maybe stay in for a long time. It will be interesting to watch! And fun to razz you if we win. :imgtongue:

I'm having so much fun planning my Clay trip. Mall of America has 500 stores? Is that right or did someone add a zero.

Haven't been there in several (ok a few more than several) years and 500 might be right - seems high to me, but then it's 3 levels... but it's tricky too... assuming it's the still the same, you'll find a Footlocker, a Lady Footlocker and a Kids Footlocker - one on each floor... there are repeat stores (or there used to be)... but it's still a cool place to go... you get your shopping fix for sure! Plus the amusement park in the middle... had some good restaurants too!

CG, who knows what will happen with the playoffs! This is the first time the Rockies have been in the playoffs (they're a relatively new team), and I think everyone in Colorado is sort of in shock about it. We could have a very short run, or maybe stay in for a long time. It will be interesting to watch! And fun to razz you if we win. :imgtongue:

How soon you forget! The Rockies were the wildcard team in 1995!!

That means they have been in the playoffs more recently that the Phillies!

I'm not counting the Phillies out. Afterall, this is a team who, on September 12th, were 7 games out of first place and they ended up winning the division - after beating the Mets 8 times in a row!

So it may be me razzing you when all is said and done! :imgtongue:

I wish I had a team in the playoffs :cry4:

Gibby, I just had to fork over some money and then remember to leave with it. :cryingwlaughter:

I actually hate shopping but plan to go to the Mall of America. It will be my one big shopping day for the year..maybe plan to buy my Xmas presents there. I think I'm most interested in seeing what sort of specialty stores they have..or stores I can't get at any mall USA.

(Hey! Where the eff is the strikeout thingy?)

Thinking the same thing, I found the strikeout thingy for the first time myself a few minutes ago. It's the 4th button from the left on the line starting with b. (Look above and to your left.) Click the down arrow. It's the 3rd choice! (Honestly, I just found it about 10 minutes ago!!!!!!!)

The banner is beautiful! Who made it? They're my pictures and I'm EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE'ing over that!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much, whomever made it!!! Goodness, I'm soooooooooooo excited!!!!!!!!!! Made my week! :F_05BL17blowkiss: :F_05BL17blowkiss: :F_05BL17blowkiss:

First time I had a chance to post all day. The banner was created by Laughn.

Heard tonight on House:

"I've known some people who've had dreams. And the one thing in common among them all was that they didn't give a damn what people said about them."

Coincidence?

I think not. :P

Good night, FCA women! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Yup that got me too.

Great story Keepingfaith

:bday2:

like the non-stop talker in the balcony in Orlando.

See... she didn't bother me all that much... of course, it was probably my second martini that threw me over the "I don't give a shit" edge... :ph34r:

At the risk of starting up a conversation about an unpleasant situation...........

I believe I got this idea from someone else.... or maybe I actually thought it up...... doubt that though.

Re..... his long winded conversation with the balcony gal

I firmly believe he did that and let it go on soooooo long to say to some people ..... this is my show and I will talk to anyone I want and for how long I want and you are not going to tell me what to do.

I thought it went on a way toooo long and that it was unusual for him to do this.

Check out the vid of this and really pay attention to the look on his face. Or maybe I just saw what I wanted to see.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised. I watched the clack of the balcony woman and I really enjoyed it.

Even if I have a huge block of salt with the Spamalot rumor...I still hope its true. I haven't scene the Broadway play but love the movie.

Well, FINALLY! I mean, REALLY! That extra Clay tee shirt kept getting in the way here at home, you know? :cryingwlaughter:

I'm on a plane in the morning---at an obscene hour of the morning, may I add. <_< Heading to Denver for the day and hopefully will have a chance to have a :voll::juul: :bier: :trink4: :trink3: or two with a certain Denver FCA woman.... :clap:

I just KNOW keepingfaith's holiday story would win! And how perfect would that be? Someone who just got her concert cherry popped and who appreciates both Clay's talent and his

PANTS! :hubbahubba:

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

I actually hate shopping but plan to go to the Mall of America. It will be my one big shopping day for the year..maybe plan to buy my Xmas presents there. I think I'm most interested in seeing what sort of specialty stores they have..or stores I can't get at any mall USA.

You understand of course that The Mall of America was built on the site of the Old Metropolitan Stadium? Where I used to go with my Daddy to watch the Twins play? Do me a favor and go touch home plate for me. It's still there, bronzed in the floor of the amusement park.

And somewhere BW has a video of me standing on it singing the Twins Fight Song. :cryingwlaughter:

---

Yep, I'm down with the "he forgot" theory too. :cryingwlaughter:

Sorry...it's been a long day...apparently all I can do is laugh.

How soon you forget! The Rockies were the wildcard team in 1995!!

That means they have been in the playoffs more recently that the Phillies!

I'm not counting the Phillies out. Afterall, this is a team who, on September 12th, were 7 games out of first place and they ended up winning the division - after beating the Mets 8 times in a row!

So it may be me razzing you when all is said and done! :imgtongue:

Heeee! We'll see who does the razzing. And yes, I know the Rockies were in the playoffs in 1995 - but just for a moment. They only won one game. :angry: So I'm pretending that this is the first time they've been in the playoffs. And I'm SURE they'll do better this time.

I wish I had a team in the playoffs :cry4:

Gibby, I just had to fork over some money and then remember to leave with it. :cryingwlaughter:

That Muski drives a hard bargain! I guess I won't be able to get her to spring for dinner tomorrow night, will I? Darn!!

ETA: BWAH, Muski! I just saw your post. Looks like you're planning on doing a little bit of drinking tomorrow! I guess we'd better find a place to eat & drink close to your hotel.

:cryingwlaughter:

You understand of course that The Mall of America was built on the site of the Old Metropolitan Stadium? Where I used to go with my Daddy to watch the Twins play? Do me a favor and go touch home plate for me. It's still there, bronzed in the floor of the amusement park.

And somewhere BW has a video of me standing on it singing the Twins Fight Song. :cryingwlaughter:

Jamar..I think I have met my sports match with you. heee

There is no place like Philly!

We are so cynical here about our sports teams (and with good reason....).

I was just watching the news. Most people they talked to have already written this team off. One game and their done.

Even the team looked deressed.

It is only one game, right????

Hmmmm. Maybe spending the majority of my life in this area is one reason I am such a cynic in life!

But don't let it be said that this fandom ever passes up a chance at a conspiracy theory!

Heeeee.....I didn't mean to give the impression that there was a conspiracy theory, I was just throwing some ideas out there.........I am not actually a part of the segment of the fandom that believes that crap.

IMO - This contest is a STUPID idea. Frankly knowing this fandom, the last thing I want to pay big bucks for is to listen to fans read stupid stories at a concert. I want to hear Clay sing. I want his off the cuff banter. I DO NOT want to pay to hear a bunch of famerwhore fans reading mostly made up crap in an effort to get recognized by Clay!!

<snip>

(And yes, I would say that this to his face too if given the opportunity!)

Let me address the last part first - I don't limit myself to what I would say to Clay's face. My rule of thumb is to treat Clay as if he posted at the same board I am posting at. We all have different interpretations of how we respect Clay and respect other posters.

Well, playbiller, not to beat a dead horse, but I DO respect Clay - a lot!!! A whole lot and frankly I get tired of people accusing me of not respecting him because I see nothing wrong with saying when I don't agree or like something he does. I am NOT telling him what to do, just expressing my thoughts on what he does, I would do the same thing if he posted here. Frankly, I appreciate it when someone expresses their opinion on something I do or like - as long as they don't dsrespect me as a person. I would like to think Clay would appreciate it too. I think he respects honesty. I don't say what I say in an effort to change his mind. If he posted here I would hope he would tell me that he respects my opinion but he is going to do whatever he wants.

The gist of my post is that we are different people and we each have our own way of respecting Clay, mine is to treat him like a poster, yours is to treat like someone you know personally - we are different - that is the key. I was explaining how my opinion is different, others have to judge what they prefer for themselves. It was not a veiled insult, but an different viewpoint.

As to vignettes - I found it interesting that, as a rule, the NJU I met and heard about people meeting liked the vignettes and the internet fans were split, but active posters (no telling about lurkers - you don't post - we have no idea what you think!) were split with possibly more not liking it.

This has been a sucky day and I need to go to bed. Rental trucks have bad breaks - and before anyone asks, no accidents just some nervewracking moments. Tomoorrow will be another sucky day. I am no going on-line to see if I can save a few bucks ordering things from the internet rather than in stores. Definitely vote for money pit on this project.

ETA If we are voting, I vote Clayforgot - he has a lot going on, I think he is a lot busier than some fans think he is - I swear I have read where he is lazy and takes too much vacation on some baords.