#18: He has always had the VOICE! But, boy has he ever learned to use his instrument!

Ansamcw

Thread title poll  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• Cheerful snark, cheerful criticism, cheerful smut, cheerful acceptance, cheerful sporking, cheerful threats, cheerful maniacal laughter....
    • There are so many different kinds of beautiful...
    • He's blossomed from a confirmed nerd to an international bon vivant.
    • You never know when that rush of emotion will hit you when it comes to Clay!
    • All it says to me is that Clay's critics are full of s***, six ways from Sunday.
    • Clay Aiken:glorious voice, excellent comic actor, master of character and man in tights!
    • This guy is not only a star, he is a lot more...

I have a big problem if Clay ever decides to act or sing on Broadway-- I live too far away to go every week. I would hope he would be more considerate to me and open up a theater in Raleigh. Harumph!

It's about time I think of myself! Maybe I should email his mom. Someone has to let her know how important I am. All this while I have been missing out on the angst. I thought I was just an observer in his life, but I could be so much more.

Clay taught me a lot at his summer concerts. He taught me to be cool and the importance of being cool above anything else. (Saunters away to be cool this morning and let everyone at the OFC know about it.) :woman:

Sorry for the sarcasm, I'm just so happy today. Off to have a great, great day. I love my life.

Sorry for the sarcasm, I'm just so happy today. Off to have a great, great day. I love my life.

Wow, I wish I could wake up on a dull, grey Wednesday and feel so optomistic! Hope you have a great day. And Happy Birthday to keepingfaith!

Good Morning Everyone,

Have never been a big fan of Monty Python type humor, but Clay could make me love it...sounds like this would be just the type of show that would fit his sense of humor!

23 Days until Clay is Live In Lincoln Center!

34 Days until Clay Tapes The Skating Special!

54 Days until The Christmas Tour Starts!

80 Days until Christmas in Merrillville!

83 Days until The Skating Special Airs!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

How about this??

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07276/822326-351.stm

skip past the boring Brit story!!

Holy shit!! I would love that. It's a snarky, crazy, hilarious show, and he could really build some acting skills from an experience like that. It's the kind of OTT comedy that suits him as he is, but he could also grow from it. It would work! Also, one of the biggest shows on Broadway at a prestigious theatre.

I don't know much if anything about the show, but this COULD be the "thing in negotiations that might stop him from touring next summer" that came up in M&Gs. Mind you, so could a lot of other things. :lol:

If he wants to do it and it offers him some good publicity and a chance to "grow"....hey, I'm all for it!

Hope it happens!

Thanks for all the responses to my question as well. I'm just one of those people who's always curious about human nature.

Happiest of birthdays, keepingfaith!

Have nothing against Broadway, used to watch some of these shows the way I do Clay Aiken concerts, enjoyed half of Spamalot here in Houston last April, and it would be nice to be able to say ("Oh, I want to see Clay this weekend, let's check those Continental/JetBlue specials to NYC"), but doing 8 performances a week of exactly the same thing (ie. someone else's vision of a show) doesn't seem to be a good match for Clay's style and personality. At most, I see a limited run like the time when Ricky Martin (I think) was Marius in Les Mis. And back then many Les Mis fans were horrified and annoyed by the behavior of fans whose sole purpose was to hear him, not watch the show itself.

As for this Spam thing. I love Spam. Spam is good fried! It comes in handy little cans. Does Clay like Spam? Did his mother feed it to him as a kid? Maybe it's Raleigh and Durham's favourite snack? It also contains a lot of salt, which I think will come in handy right about now*g*

But I digress! Remember it's not official until you see it on the OFC. That's why Clay is really not the narrator on the AI Rewind...it's a voice-over! Oh wait it's a voice-over, doing a voice-over of a show that already had a voice-over! Oh my head aches!

Well I too am having a great morning...no traffic problems on I-45. (That's always a good day!) It's 69 degrees and no rain and the most important thing it's my buddy keepingfaith's natal day! Now she is as old as I am! Yeah!

:bday2:

I bring a prezzie.

Untitled-11copy.jpg

(It's not great but I am still learning, thanks to cha cha))

Heh, as much of a fan as I am of Monty Python, British humour and Spamalot, I don't think there is any hope in hell that that blurb has a hint of truth to it. I just don't see it as something that Clay would do at this point in his career, and no, I don't think it's really his style of humour. Honestly, I think it's someone's idea of a joke. But it CMSU to surf around the boards and see the various reactions! Some people are even taking it seriously.....trying to figure out how he'd fit it in around recording and promoting his next kick-ass rockin' cd. OK then.

Hee, I was surfing Google, looking up Spamalot for a laugh, and found this quote from one of the cast members.

"Well, I have to say if anyone every wanted to be a rock star, get into a production of Spamalot, because that's what it's like. It's like a rock concert every night. The audience just sort of eats it up. They go crazy. I don't know if they're all Pythoners or what, but they just love it. It's great." --Michael McGrath

Heh, that is right up some people's alley....or at least, right up the alley they want Clay to take.

Spamalot? Cool! :clap:

I'd go in a minute, although I know next to nothing about the show. When has that mattered before? Will he get to sing the Spam song?

Yeah, it's probably rumor, but you never know..... I'll hope.

ETA: I am inordinately happy about the dispperance of that automatic note that announced and time stamped a poster's last edit. Thanks to whoever made that change. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

And while I'm editing without reprocussion......

Happy Birthday, Keepingfaith!

Claygasm Thanks for the warning, I scrolled very fast! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Spamalot....I am cool with whatever Clay wants to do; it is his career and he is probably the best judge of what is good for his career. Who knows? Maybe they made him an offer he couldn't refuse. Sounds like a fun show and great way to expose Clay to a new audience and get people interested in that voice so they would be interested in purchasing a CD. I think it could be a win win situation...yeah, you could set your watch by how soon the usual suspects show up and give their reasons why this would be the worst thing ever and are already predicting the demise of the new CD.

Kim

Unfortunately, not a lot of time to post (darn teachers -- they keep wanting their students to know how to use the library!), but I will say that I love you ALL here. I love ALL the personalities, even if I don't always agree...I usually find myself in the "middle ground" in so many discussions. Yeah, I like getting pulled in two different ways, makes my arms longer....

Anyway, I also need to come in and wish my friend and roomie in Tulsa keepingfaith a very happy birthday! And like merrieeee, I bring a present -- a clickable wallpaper via another friend, Betty897X:

th_AI57triocopy.jpg

"Spamalot," eh? I think I'm like Scarlett in that it could be fun, and I'd love to visit NYC (never been there in my life), but for some reason I think Clay would get bored after a bit. And yeah, I do worry that the fans would totally ignore the rest of the show (which I hear is quite funny) just for CLAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Clay doing Spamalot? Yep, I bet he would be bored doing a full run, but hell, the eHP would be totally entertained considering the fact we would probably decide the first and last and some middle shows would be the bare minimum in between Macy's and Wicked and everything we would run around doing. And isn't that what's important? You really do not want a bored eHP running around.

Ooooh, fried spam is so very, very good. Gooooooooood.

I also agree with ansa (yeah, like you're suprised) - all I need is for the stories to be entertaining. Don't care who does or the truthfulness of them. The fandom's whining may get a little annoying - but I am quite capable of saying "Pbbt" to people.

Re: Christmas expectations...I guess our family was sorta weird...we just know the Christmasses as described in the media didn't happen to anybody - just way out of our expectations. Except for that pregnant thing (because oddly enough my mother wasn't supposed to be doing a 300 mile road trip), Christmas was always spent at my grandparents - my immediate family, all eight of my uncles and aunts, most of my grandmother's siblings (as she brought them up) and their children and grandchildren. I had a 1' x 4' sleeping spot on the floor in the living room - the living slept between 15-20. We slept 4-5 to each double bed. I ate at one of the childrens' table until I was 34. People didn't worry about fair distribution of presents as long as everybody got some. Whining children were the norm. Children always wanted stuff that they wouldn't get. My grandmother would buy packs of days of the week underwear and that would be 7 presents for 7 girls. Granny-style. And you'd better be grateful. And oddly enough, we were. There would be stories told and lots of food, and lot of cleaning up for the girls. There would be fights and my grandfather would force us to kiss those bastards we were just fighting a minute ago and that was the WORST thing ever. It was just a part of childhood to me. I'm glad my son got to be a part of it, but only sort of miss it for myself.

It is a pretty day down here! And no matter what the weatherman says, I think we can stay under 90!

Famewhore? Frankly, I find it a useful term, but then of course, I think I use it appropriately.

The only thing that may concern me is that some who share their personal experiences may be ridiculed or slammed on the boards, because some will find them unworthy of Clay's attention. I hope that whoever wins gets to enjoy the experience.

Oh, I'm sure they will be. Somethings you can just count on. That said, I think we may overestimate how involved everyone else is in board life. I have a RL friend who loves Clay. She always knows whats going on but just visits the boards for a quick perusal every a.m. Skips right over all the drama and personalities. Never posts. That's 4 years of reading the boards every day and not one post. Not one. But get this...since I neeeeeed another gold recruitment star....I suggested she check out FCA (site and board, one stop Clay shopping!) a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday she said she wants to register and learn how to post and she asked if would I help her! You guys are amazing! And I mean the good amazing not DCAT orchestra amazing!

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

Well, I did some reading around and I can kind of see how this could backfire on the show but since I have no clue how he plans to incorporate them.....and since I was so down in the JBT before it began and I was so wrong about that one.....I've just given up worrying about how things are going to turn out, They'll be what they'll be. I'm a go with the flow kind of girl now......

Well I have NO fear that if it isn't working after a show or two Clay will find some way to change it up and make it work. As we've seen, the Clay Aiken experience isn't usually static for very long. Hee.

famehos always come from other boards and when it's one of your own you damn well can't say anything but oooh congrats, this time your stalking paid off.

:cryingwlaughter:

doing 8 performances a week of exactly the same thing (ie. someone else's vision of a show) doesn't seem to be a good match for Clay's style and personality. At most, I see a limited run

I think Clay even alluded to this in a M&G this summer. Boy knows himself. But Spamalot seems to be a very differnt type of show than a Les Mis...just sayin'. Isn't this the show Sean was working in? Interesting. Still saltworthy, to the max. And yes limited run is the the only thing I can see Clay agreeing to.

----

Okay...here's my idea for the bestest Christmas ever. We go out, shop for, buy and wrap for ourselves. I've tried to sell this to my kids for the last 5 years. So far no takers. Hee.

To whoever mentioned all the quotes and not remembering what and why you quoted...amen. I had to sit there for about 5 mn with the second group of quotes trying to figure out which thing I wanted to respond to and when I did I couldn't remember what I wanted to say. Sheesh.

Today is my late day. Work noon till 9. Then on Thursday we have workshit meetings all morning with the big guns from the library system. :wordpooper:

Just not going to be a fun 48 hours, no matter how you slice it.

Famewhore? Frankly, I find it a useful term, but then of course, I think I use it appropriately.

Always the exception to the rule, K'Andre

Can't forget the birthday of someone who drove me all over Texas!

birthday_59.gifkeepingfaith

And a warning for the rest

birthday_60.gif

My daughter loved to sing, has never had a shy bone in her body, and tended to demand attention by being LOUD. Let's just say she's never needed approval in her life --- for anything. So when the songleader said to a group of children sitting in a group, "Who knows the words to Joy To The World?" my daughter jumped up and loudly intoned in the third row at the First Baptist Church:

Jeremiah was a bullfrog

Was a good friend of mine

I think this is a fabulous story, keepingfaith! You should submit this one. Who knows, maybe he could use it as a nice introduction to the Christmas version of the song.

Clay in Spamalot? Though he might get bored with the routine, honestly, this is one production that might allow him a little bit of improvisation from time to time, because it would be a comedic role. I can totally see him loving the humor of the show. And after all the Broadway shows he's seen (The Color Purple, The Jersey Boys, Wicked, etc.), it would not surprise me if he were seriously interested in trying it out.

I'd love to see him in something like this. Would it affect an album? Maybe, maybe not. The actual recording doesn't take that long. This might garner some public attention, as Fantasia's performance has for her. And it would allow him to grow and add new things to his resume.

It could be pure rumor, so I'm not investing anything into the idea. However, IMHO, I would not be shocked to see it happen.

Bwah Keepingfaith - that is a fabulous story. You must submit it. I am so enjoying the stories.... I know Clay will find some good ones.

Have a happy birthday today. I have really really enjoyed your contribution to the board and your enthusiasm for my boyfriend. Have a good one.

like the non-stop talker in the balcony in Orlando.

See... she didn't bother me all that much... of course, it was probably my second martini that threw me over the "I don't give a shit" edge... :ph34r:

At the risk of starting up a conversation about an unpleasant situation...........

I believe I got this idea from someone else.... or maybe I actually thought it up...... doubt that though.

Re..... his long winded conversation with the balcony gal

I firmly believe he did that and let it go on soooooo long to say to some people ..... this is my show and I will talk to anyone I want and for how long I want and you are not going to tell me what to do.

I thought it went on a way toooo long and that it was unusual for him to do this.

Check out the vid of this and really pay attention to the look on his face. Or maybe I just saw what I wanted to see.

My daughter loved to sing, has never had a shy bone in her body, and tended to demand attention by being LOUD. Let's just say she's never needed approval in her life --- for anything. So when the songleader said to a group of children sitting in a group, "Who knows the words to Joy To The World?" my daughter jumped up and loudly intoned in the third row at the First Baptist Church:

Jeremiah was a bullfrog

Was a good friend of mine

I think this is a fabulous story, keepingfaith! You should submit this one. Who knows, maybe he could use it as a nice introduction to the Christmas version of the song.

Clay in Spamalot? Though he might get bored with the routine, honestly, this is one production that might allow him a little bit of improvisation from time to time, because it would be a comedic role. I can totally see him loving the humor of the show. And after all the Broadway shows he's seen (The Color Purple, The Jersey Boys, Wicked, etc.), it would not surprise me if he were seriously interested in trying it out.

I'd love to see him in something like this. Would it affect an album? Maybe, maybe not. The actual recording doesn't take that long. This might garner some public attention, as Fantasia's performance has for her. And it would allow him to grow and add new things to his resume.

It could be pure rumor, so I'm not investing anything into the idea. However, IMHO, I would not be shocked to see it happen.

Quoting your whole danged post again, JennaZ, 'cuz...well.....WORD!

Clay doing Monty Python? BWAH! I'm there! NYC!? I'm there! Woot! :clap: I was just thinking how cool it must be for Clay to be able to have such a variety of things to do in his 'job'---concerts, tv appearances, UNICEF trips, voice-overs, awards shows, book writing, song writing, collaborating with musical geniuses, doing skits, thinking up new ideas to entertain....Cool Life. Yeah, he has some shit to deal with, but we all do, so I don't think he's so special in that regard---the shit he gets is just more public than ours.

He's a very cool dude---knows himself for sure and I think he's got good instincts for sizing up other people, too, so I'm not worried about Mr. Aiken.

And that man can shorely sang....Lawdy, Lawdy! :lilredani:

I firmly believe he did that and let it go on soooooo long to say to some people ..... this is my show and I will talk to anyone I want and for how long I want and you are not going to tell me what to do.

I agree 100% - (I was in the balcony, too!).

He had already been treated to booing and eye-rolling, and I got the feeling that this had been simmering for quite a while.

I don't blame him. And hopefully, those who feel they need to express their own personal dislike of what he chooses to do during his concert will just not be attending and buying up those up-front seats. Bwahahaha!

I agree 100% - (I was in the balcony, too!).

He had already been treated to booing and eye-rolling, and I got the feeling that this had been simmering for quite a while.

I don't blame him. And hopefully, those who feel they need to express their own personal dislike of what he chooses to do during his concert will just not be attending and buying up those up-front seats. Bwahahaha!

I was on the floor in Orlando and had the same thought.

See, I can agree with someone besides Ansa!

Kind of OT, but I'm on a Yahoo group with David Gans, who would be known to any faithful Grateful Dead fan as the guy who hosts the Grateful Dead Hour and has published a number of books on the Dead. I didn't know he was a professional photographer for more than a decade. For Scarlett and other audiophiles, here's a link to his photo of the first taper's section, October 27, 1984:

First taper's section - Grateful Dead concert

With mics set up like that, our clackers could record a fantabulous live album.

Here's a great shot he took of Gracie Slick:

mock album cover - forks instead of sporks

Lots of Dead photos at his flickr site, but also a bunch of other musicians of the era: David Crosby, Bonnie Raitt, John Cipollina, Carlos Santana, Ozzy Ozbourne and Dolly Partin.

Some Gans writing, from his website: Dawn of the Deadheads