#18: He has always had the VOICE! But, boy has he ever learned to use his instrument!

Ansamcw

Thread title poll  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• Cheerful snark, cheerful criticism, cheerful smut, cheerful acceptance, cheerful sporking, cheerful threats, cheerful maniacal laughter....
    • There are so many different kinds of beautiful...
    • He's blossomed from a confirmed nerd to an international bon vivant.
    • You never know when that rush of emotion will hit you when it comes to Clay!
    • All it says to me is that Clay's critics are full of s***, six ways from Sunday.
    • Clay Aiken:glorious voice, excellent comic actor, master of character and man in tights!
    • This guy is not only a star, he is a lot more...

CG..I just think Clay has been duly informed in his latest blog comments that his plans for involving fans in his Xmas shows are all kinds of stupid. I think there is kind of a hope that he will listen and change his mind before the shows start. I won't be holding my breath on that. I bet he didn't expect the vehemence, the proclamations of non attendance and that he is cheap and unprofessional. Maybe it will be a disaster. Maybe it won't. But don't see how it is any worse than picking fans at random with no expectation for what they will say or do and he has done that at every show he has ever had since IT.

I don't venture out of FCA very much these days, but I had to recently and caught a bit of this from fans who seem bent on forcing a commercial Christmas show out of Clay. I really want to say to people...

If it's not your cup of tea, well and good. Go off to Vegas for the holidays and just sneak back into the fandom in the summer -- no need to raise your blood pressure because Clay forgot to mind-meld with you before planning this (or any part of his career). Better yet, write Quiana a letter so the rest of us can have a good laugh when he reads it out loud on stage. Or, knowing you, secretly hang on to your tickets and sneak back on to the representing lists when you realize that he's still as irresistible, entrancing and adorably yummy as ever. (and sings purty too!)

If Clay were looking to do JNT the quickie way, he would just: (1) get Jesse to pick a dozen whatever songs with varying tempos (2) hold a couple of practice sessions (3) shake out those pants from JNT04 (and maybe add a rivet or two) (4) run his fingers through his hair and he's all set. Singing is something he can do with little or no practice, while simultaneously thinking about the pizza he had for lunch. With the way the current plan is structured, there's a LOT of EXTRA work for him because HE has to make it work. Yes, fans can be boring. He needs to think through that, plan as much as he could and then be on his toes at every show.

Are we so warped that in order for something to be entertaining, it mustn't touch us? Anything that goes beyond appealing to our basic senses necessarily has to be cheap and cheesy and worthless? Clay isn't a member of the eHP (or did you sneak him in through the back, KAndre?) but he can find the most non-boring ways to send messages like, "let's make the world a better place -- so when we finally achieve world domination, we'll get better property values."

Also, didn't anyone see this as an opportunity for a fan who sits on the 55th row (does that exist? /jk) to have an equal chance to come interact with him as the usual suspects on the first 5 rows? *shakes head*

Unconditional -- you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. [tm:Iñigo Montoya to Vizzini]

Agree with your entire paragraph about Clay's next album. I would love to know where he wants to go. If it's full of dance music I will laugh my fool head off and buy it happily.
Me too, if it comes with arrows.

I agree with the comments that BFM didn't showcase Clay's voice, other than the chorus - I really liked that. I can imagine that singing something that an audience gets into is fun, even if the singer isn't particularly fond of the song. But the real reason I'd like to hear the song again is that I just prefer uptempo stuff. And not just with Clay. 9 times out of 10 I will skip a song on a CD if it's a ballad. If much of Clay's recorded material was sung by anyone else (with a few exceptions) it probably wouldn't even cause a blip on my radar screen. There is my musical taste and then there is Clay. Clay is a genre. What kind of music do I like? Alt. rock and Clay Aiken.

For me it's anything by Thomas Hampson classical baritone, and Clay Aiken extraordinary tenor.

I always thought BFM was mediocre, but everyone else seemed to love it.

CG..I just think Clay has been duly informed in his latest blog comments that his plans for involving fans in his Xmas shows are all kinds of stupid. I think there is kind of a hope that he will listen and change his mind before the shows start. I won't be holding my breath on that. I bet he didn't expect the vehemence, the proclamations of non attendance and that he is cheap and unprofessional. Maybe it will be a disaster. Maybe it won't. But don't see how it is any worse than picking fans at random with no expectation for what they will say or do and he has done that at every show he has ever had since IT.

I don't venture out of FCA very much these days, but I had to recently and caught a bit of this from fans who seem bent on forcing a commercial Christmas show out of Clay. I really want to say to people...

If it's not your cup of tea, well and good. Go off to Vegas for the holidays and just sneak back into the fandom in the summer -- no need to raise your blood pressure because Clay forgot to mind-meld with you before planning this (or any part of his career). Better yet, write Quiana a letter so the rest of us can have a good laugh when he reads it out loud on stage. Or, knowing you, secretly hang on to your tickets and sneak back on to the representing lists when you realize that he's still as irresistible, entrancing and adorably yummy as ever. (and sings purty too!)

If Clay were looking to do JNT the quickie way, he would just: (1) get Jesse to pick a dozen whatever songs with varying tempos (2) hold a couple of practice sessions (3) shake out those pants from JNT04 (and maybe add a rivet or two) (4) run his fingers through his hair and he's all set. Singing is something he can do with little or no practice, while simultaneously thinking about the pizza he had for lunch. With the way the current plan is structured, there's a LOT of EXTRA work for him because HE has to make it work. Yes, fans can be boring. He needs to think through that, plan as much as he could and then be on his toes at every show.

Are we so warped that in order for something to be entertaining, it mustn't touch us? Anything that goes beyond appealing to our basic senses necessarily has to be cheap and cheesy and worthless? Clay isn't a member of the eHP (or did you sneak him in through the back, KAndre?) but he can find the most non-boring ways to send messages like, "let's make the world a better place -- so when we finally achieve world domination, we'll get better property values."

Also, didn't anyone see this as an opportunity for a fan who sits on the 55th row (does that exist? /jk) to have an equal chance to come interact with him as the usual suspects on the first 5 rows? *shakes head*

Unconditional -- you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. [tm:Iñigo Montoya to Vizzini]

Agree with your entire paragraph about Clay's next album. I would love to know where he wants to go. If it's full of dance music I will laugh my fool head off and buy it happily.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I really do understand the sadness people are feeling. I guess this song brought so much fun to the fandom and so much expectations and fantasies were attached to it. This was going to be the song that shock the world and introduce rocker Clay to the music industry. I really liked it and is my fourth favorite original song sung by Clay...but I just don't have the emotional attachment to it that others have. In some way I feel like its better to have this song recorded by someone else so that the fandom can finally put that fantasy to rest and move on to newer and better things.

ITA. I think many held on to the belief that he would one day release it, or that it was already recorded for the "lost" album. As much as I thought it would be a hoot if he had put it as the first track on ATDW (because of the lyrics) and as much as I enjoyed it in concert, I definitely think that the fandom needs to let it go. I don't even have the desire or curiosity to click on the Loverboy link. Don't care.

Maybe Clay used to like it but the when :hitsfanrs5: he didn't like it anymore.

Or maybe he just continued to sing it because he saw how happy it made his fans. I am not sure how much he liked JY or TRD because I don't think he's spoken about those songs (yet), but I always did get the feeling that he was just testing things out, to see how he liked performing them, and how the fans would react to them. Obviously, the fans picked up BFM immediately and it became almost an anthem.....I admit to being one of those women furiously pumping their fists in time to the music.....I doubt he wanted to take that away from "us". There was no universal reaction like that to either TRD or JY. In fact I saw a lot of comments about how weak they were, etc. I also think he's well aware of some of the "rock star" fantasies shared by many in the fandom. So he may have tired of singing BFM well before the end of the tour but kept it in for the fun of it. And I think he probably thinks some of the "rock star" fantasies are a bit delusional. ;)

The only song I never found a better live version of is Perfect Day, my favorite song from MoaM. Perfection. heee.

Heh, I can't even think of one song that Clay has sung live that he hasn't improved on, to my ears. But then again, I am a live music junkie.......always have been, always will be. My iPod is loaded with multiple versions of each and every song Clay has performed live. They far outweigh (in gb's) the studio songs. In fact, I created two genres, "Live" and "Studio" to use on my iPod to create smart playlists. It all depends on my mood.

Yes, Yes, Yes!!! :clap::clap::clap:

Heee - I love Princess Bride, too.

I enjoy a variety of styles of music, and I enjoyed BFM as a different style for Clay. It was fun! It wasn't necessarily a singer's song, but it added a different element to the concerts. However, I'm not really, really sad that someone else has recorded it. I listened to a little bit of Loverboy's version, and though the vocals were kind of mediocre, the band was good. I would LURVE to hear Clay's recorded version, as I would lurve to hear any finished and produced songs that didn't make it on any of Clay's albums. Putting a good band and good production with Clay's voice on BFM would have made it really great.

But instead of worrying about what might have been lost, I'm going to remain supremely grateful for the many, many recorded and live versions of songs from Clay that have enriched my life. Clay has already given me so much, in a relatively short time. I'd rather be happy about that than angst over what might have been. Besides, he said he didn't care for it, and I want him to be happy, too.

When I'm listening to my ipod on shuffle now, and hear TRD or JY, it's like greeting an old friend. I enjoy them a lot. I don't know if they would be great songs for an album or not, but I sure do enjoy hearing Clay sing them. Anybody else have this experience?

Talented with a video camera and brilliant too!!! :clap: :clap:

I think most here know I am not enamored with his idea for this upcoming Christmas tour. BUT, I do love that he is striving to make it different for the same 3000 fans that have seen all his other Christmas tours.

I hated the vignettes but even back then said I applauded his artistic effort and was glad he took the chance to do something different.

That is one thing I love about Clay and his tours. He seems to always be trying to do something different. Whether or not it's because he gets bored or he's afraid that we'll get bored or that he's trying to stretch his artistic wings, I don't know. All I know is I say "GO CLAY!!!!" whether I like the concept or not.

I hated the idea of the JBT when I first saw it, but LOVED the final product.

I hated the idea of the vignettes when I first heard it, and never grew to like it.

Who knows how I will feel about this idea once I'll see it.

All I know is Clay should never be afraid to try something different because of some overbearing fans. He needs to always follow his own muse wherever it may take him.

I liked BFM strictly as a performance song. Hated the beginning. It was too slow and seemed labored to me, and sometimes his voice seemed strained on a product that really wasn't worth his effort. But loved, loved, loved the hook and the pumped arms and fists at the "radio, radio, radio" lyrics. They had special meaning for this fandom, and I could see Clay loving the snark. But who knows if radio would have ever embraced it or if Clive would have been willing to support it to radio in the first place. It was fun while it lasted. And that's always a good thing.

BUT, am I going to mourn the "loss" of a single song? Nope. Can imagine what is going through many minds about Clay having another lost opportunity, and justifying his not wanting to cause the fandom any kind of sadness by claiming not to have liked it. But that doesn't make it real.

We are a predictable fanbase. Look at the Christmas story from fans concept. Watched the same kind of "doom and gloom" before every concert tour -- and none of it ever proves right. JBT was excessively panned and then look what happened. Those who refused to even consider seeing the show of oldies were scrambling at the the last minute to get their hands on ANY ticket at all. I have been open minded with everything Clay has done, and have never ever been disappointed in him. He give us "everything he has" every single show. He proved that last year in Long Island. He's a master entertainer who loves what he does. He's more than a singer. He's proven that. Fans have to learn to trust his instincts. If something does not work, he either makes it work or discards it. He's not on that stage feeding his ego, he's there to entertain. What else can a fan ask?

We don't know what his musical choices would be. I heard an interview a while back with Johnnie Mathis. He said he never liked the music he was FORCED to sing. He really wanted to sing jazz. IMO the man could never have pulled that off. He had a great voice for ballads and ballad singers were selling cd's while jazz singers were "niche" artists. IMO he'd be long forgotten if he had his way. Bottom line here is WE DON'T KNOW SHIT. And sometimes it's better to admit that and see what develops rather than try to run someone else's career.

OK. another delay in getting the kitchen does allows me to finish my recommendations tonight or tomorrow night, Sorry for the delay. I had a physical melt down in home depot the yesterday, and just sat on the floor and cried. I took today off from doing anything.

SInce I really haven't spent too much time anywhere but here, I started reading the blog thread and it was pretty positive until a few people started posting - the first negative comment, I said, I know that person. The second one - was I know that person as well, and so it went - why do I know all the people who are unhappy?

I do believe that there is a shared mentality where ever you may post to some degree - if you get positive reinforcement for an attitude, you are more likely to express it and express it frequently. I know it is always an effort to not join in if I don't feel something, I just can't let go and be smutty because it just isn't me and I am too hung up, but sometimes I feel like I am being swept along with the tide and do post some outrageous things.

What am I ranting about - The pattern of idea rejection seems to have one source in this thread. I find that very, very interesting. I think that sometimes people talk things over on their board and then bring that discussion to the OFC - but the discussion is really over when it is discussed somwhere else first. I do thinkthe OFC has problems because there are too many people who have other home boards first and the OFC was an after thought.

I think most here know I am not enamored with his idea for this upcoming Christmas tour.

WHAT? Really? I had no clue! :lmaosmiley-1: :whistling-1:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :lilredani:

:cryingwlaughter: I was going to post the exact same thing, but you beat me to it, jj. "Not enamored"? I think that's a slight understatement, CG. I'm not meaning to poke fun at you, but this did give me a chuckle.

We are a predictable fanbase. Look at the Christmas story from fans concept. Watched the same kind of "doom and gloom" before every concert tour -- and none of it ever proves right. JBT was excessively panned and then look what happened. Those who refused to even consider seeing the show of oldies were scrambling at the the last minute to get their hands on ANY ticket at all. I have been open minded with everything Clay has done, and have never ever been disappointed in him. He give us "everything he has" every single show. He proved that last year in Long Island. He's a master entertainer who loves what he does. He's more than a singer. He's proven that. Fans have to learn to trust his instincts. If something does not work, he either makes it work or discards it. He's not on that stage feeding his ego, he's there to entertain. What else can a fan ask?

You know, I don't think I've ever had a meltdown or felt any doom and gloom over a tour concept. There were a couple of ideas that I had reservations about, but not enough to make me think, "I'm not going to THAT". I've always looked forward to every single concert, every single tour, to see what he's going to surprise us with next. The vignettes of a couple of years ago were my least favorite concept, but I still enjoyed the two concerts I went to and wouldn't have passed up an opportunity to attend. It didn't bother me when he toured with Kelly, I was fine with the 'Reunion Tour', and I don't resent him sharing the stage with anyone. I just love him sharing any creative talent with us - that takes a lot of guts and confidence, I applaud his willingness to put himself out there.

OK. another delay in getting the kitchen does allows me to finish my recommendations tonight or tomorrow night, Sorry for the delay. I had a physical melt down in home depot the yesterday, and just sat on the floor and cried.

Well that doesn't sound good. Have you seen a physician?

I do believe that there is a shared mentality where ever you may post to some degree - if you get positive reinforcement for an attitude, you are more likely to express it and express it frequently. I know it is always an effort to not join in if I don't feel something, I just can't let go and be smutty because it just isn't me and I am too hung up, but sometimes I feel like I am being swept along with the tide and do post some outrageous things.

What am I ranting about - The pattern of idea rejection seems to have one source in this thread. I find that very, very interesting.

This is so true. Whether it's a positive attitude or a negative attitude, when we feel that others agree with us we feel safer in expressing our opinions. No one likes to be the odd one out, safety in numbers and all that. I'm curious to know what the one source for the pattern of idea rejection is in this thread? Or maybe I didn't understand your post very well.

Let's say that the idea rejection was generally from people who post on one baord, but then participation ingeneral is high from this group and the negatives were followed by postives fromt he same board - go figure. Maybe I should check the post count, it could just be the people who post the most.

Eventuallly other negative voices were heard - perhaps it is the first to get the blog news after the OFC regulars.

Scarlett...can i cosign on your post...BIG OL WORD!!! I do think we all are entitled to our opinion and entitled to express it. But I really can;t stand itwhen fans go on OFC and TELL Clay what he should do.

CG...yup it is easy to love someone when they always do what you like...but loving someone that does not have the same taste as you or may do things you do not always approve of and accepting them ?? To me that is really when its unconditional. That does not mean we can;t complain and roll our eyes and shake our head and get frustrated...because we are just human...but giving that person the room to grow and be their own person...that takes a lot of respect and understanding..

Glad I was able to amuse you guys! :mockery-046:

Ok - I just got this email from a Clay friend of mine:

DO YOU BELIEVE THE LATEST NATIONENQUIRER CRAP? I WISH SOMEONE WOULD KNOCK JP OFF OR SOMETHING.

What now? Anyone know?

Not sure I want t know because frankly JP is off my radar. He would have to have some importance to be on my radar and he doesn't. But since she brought it up, now I am curious.

Talking about recorded songs versus live performances...I Survived You. Love the song on the CD, but really did not like Clay's live performance of it...I thought at times his interpretation was a little over the top and too dramatic...I know a lot of fans love "pissy" Clay, but that one was not one of my favorites.

Kim

I just had to comment on this. I also preferred Clay's recorded version of this song. Sometimes I really enjoyed his live version, but at other times I thought it was a bit OTT. The song I didn't like on MoaM was "Shine", but it was one of my favorite live performances.

I also never felt BFM really was a good fit for Clay's voice, but it was a fun song to sing along to at the concerts. I'm not mourning it, but I can tell you I will mourn "Tears Run Dry", if I hear that recorded by another artist. I guess that's to be expected. :cry4:

I get google alerts and didn't have to read this one. Clay singing at the church has given some people the opportunity to wreak a little havoc. Think Pure Fashion. But I think the less attention given to JP and his folks the better. Unfortunately I just don't think that will ever happen. As Clay fans we need a thicker shell and probably need to understand that Clay will have to deal with certain issues until the day he dies and it only has the importance the you give it. As always I'm going to follow Clay's and his team's lead. There are a lot of things I'm looking forward to and nothing will rob me of the joy of any of it.

Glad I was able to amuse you guys! :mockery-046:

Ok - I just got this email from a Clay friend of mine:

DO YOU BELIEVE THE LATEST NATIONENQUIRER CRAP? I WISH SOMEONE WOULD KNOCK JP OFF OR SOMETHING.

What now? Anyone know?

Not sure I want t know because frankly JP is off my radar. He would have to have some importance to be on my radar and he doesn't. But since she brought it up, now I am curious.

Just the is he or isn't he crap again...supposedly he was in possession of a letter from the pastor of the Church in Wichita demanding that Clay prove he isn't gay (so who wants to be first to help Clay prove it?)...as usual no truth to the accusation...the venue is selling very well and the church is very happy that Clay is going to be singing there.

Kim

I do think we all are entitled to our opinion and entitled to express it. But I really can;t stand itwhen fans go on OFC and TELL Clay what he should do.

Ansa, ITA. I think we should give feedback and the OFC would have been a good place to do it. I believe Clay does value others' opinions and would like to see some discussion. But all that gets lost if it turns into, "I'm going to post my idea again because these idiots didn't seem to understand it the first time and hopefully if I say it many many times, I'll be able to beat into their brains the absolute brilliance of it! And if that doesn't work, I get my homeboard minions and we'll stake ownership of this thread though sheer numbers & level of enthusiasm!"

NE will only matter to groups like the "Pure Ones" who apparently think that a pure image is more important than the truth. In a strange way, this is good because it's almost like a touchstone for the people and organizations Clay deals with. Right after AI2, it was difficult to tell the sincere from those enamoured of celebrity. If the Wichita, Kansas church is as it should be, this shouldn't change a thing except maybe getting additional security during the show.

BTW, I hope that scum watches the AI Rewind Wildcard show intently -- the one where Clay feels up every single girl in the room while playing for sympathy. *GGG* (thanks to KAndre for pointing this out)

Hmmm. I think its as sad that JP exists as it is sad that a church would refuse someone come there to perform if they were gay.

I am not sure which is more disgusting.

Which is precisely the reason I was against Clay performing there - not that I have any say about it (nor should I).

The version I read, which is the one that came in a Google news alert, stated that it was some of the membership that was asking the questions, but that one of the elders was able to assure the congregation that Clay was not gay -- using the Rolling Stone article as his main source. That seemed to settle most people down.

So in other words, no biggie.

And I don't know why I read that Google alert. Sometimes I do end up clicking without thinking.

:F_05BL17blowkiss: Scarlett!

Hmmm. I think its as sad that JP exists as it is sad that a church would refuse someone come there to perform if they were gay.

I am not sure which is more disgusting.

Which is precisely the reason I was against Clay performing there - not that I have any say about it (nor should I).

I think the church as far as we know right now is also a victim of JP. I pesonally don't even believe the congregation questioned this. IMO this is totally made up out of whole cloth as the article I saw went out its way to make sure people knew JP never recanted his story which we know is a lie. I will give this church the benefit of the doubt until further information comes to light that doesn't have JP's fingerprints all over it. In other words. the concert will have to be cancelled.

Switching back and forth between AI Rewind and the Bears/Packers game...Clay sounds wonderful...those auditioning...no so much. The Bears are losing...not a good week-end for Chicago teams.

Kim

I agree, couchie. Can I call you that? :)

JP is in this up to his eyeballs. He was on his rampage about Clay "defrauding" him and sent out the word prior to finding out he had actually been talking to "Fake Clay" for over a year. He couldn't take it back so he created another reason for his behavior.

Pathetic, really.