#18: He has always had the VOICE! But, boy has he ever learned to use his instrument!

Ansamcw

Thread title poll  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• Cheerful snark, cheerful criticism, cheerful smut, cheerful acceptance, cheerful sporking, cheerful threats, cheerful maniacal laughter....
    • There are so many different kinds of beautiful...
    • He's blossomed from a confirmed nerd to an international bon vivant.
    • You never know when that rush of emotion will hit you when it comes to Clay!
    • All it says to me is that Clay's critics are full of s***, six ways from Sunday.
    • Clay Aiken:glorious voice, excellent comic actor, master of character and man in tights!
    • This guy is not only a star, he is a lot more...

Are heads exploding that (1) someone else recorded BFM and (2) that some idiot claimed he wrote it?? Have they managed to drag Clive/RCA into the conspiracy???

But of course! Nevermind what Clay actually told people about not caring for the song.

---

Oooh jj. I'm so sorry. *sniff* Sorry you won't get to go [shallow] and sorry I won't get to meet you [/shallow]

I really wish some fans could get away from this "Clay as the perpetual victim of RCA and Clive" mentality...why is it so hard to accept that maybe he just didn't like the song?

Kim

Are heads exploding that (1) someone else recorded BFM and (2) that some idiot claimed he wrote it?? Have they managed to drag Clive/RCA into the conspiracy???

But of course! Nevermind what Clay actually told people about not caring for the song.

---

Oooh jj. I'm so sorry. *sniff* Sorry you won't get to go [shallow] and sorry I won't get to meet you [/shallow]

I really wish some fans could get away from this "Clay as the perpetual victim of RCA and Clive" mentality...why is it so hard to accept that maybe he just didn't like the song?

Kim

My theory? Clay isn't turning into what they want him to turn into. They have to blame someone because they can't blame Clay and they have to believe he may not want for himself what they want him to be. So they blame Clive/RCA/whoever-else-they-can-think-of instead of just accepting that he may not want what they want.

Why do the same heads explode over and over? Shouldn't they get that fixed?

BWAH! You're on a roll today keepingfaith. I think being sick agrees with you! Brilliant post earlier, absolutely brilliant. I am almost jealous of your late entry into the internet part of the fandom. I can only say almost, because truly the ratio of crazy:most fun I've ever had in my life is still pretty dang low.

The reaction to the Loverboy/BFM thing is soooo predictable. Seriously - he sang it in 2005. He said he didn't care much for it. Do these people really think that these things only happen to Clay? [/rhetorical]. They're working on my ratio I guess, lol. I'll just copy my post from elsewhere:

Ehh, it was fun in concert, but it doesn't bother me a bit that someone else recorded it. I can hear Clay sing it whenever I want to. And whatever happens with it for Loverboy, Clay sang it first. I wonder if Loverboy fans are up in arms about them recording a song that Clay Aiken rejected? [/snerk] And even they don't consider it 'first single' material.

At least it wasn't Daughtry!!!1!!!!!11!!

---

Kim

My theory? Clay isn't turning into what they want him to turn into. They have to blame someone because they can't blame Clay and they have to believe he may not want for himself what they want him to be. So they blame Clive/RCA/whoever-else-they-can-think-of instead of just accepting that he may not want what they want.

Exactly!

Kim

Well, I'm keeping my head on tight, not prone to explosions, but it did make me a little sad. BFM is one of the only 2 (maybe 3) original Clay songs that I acutally like for itself, and would like even if it weren't a Clay song. I've grown to appreciate a few others, especially after hearing Clay perform them, but that's a different thing all together. Seriously, though, if Clay didn't like it, what's the point? It might as well be passed on, IMO. I'd hate to think Clay would have to sing something that he didn't like.

:nana: My first time ever at the top of the page!

Hee. If Tears Run Dry and Just You show up on Whitney's album, then I might believe that Clive is stealing Clay's songs out from underneath him. Until that happens, I just go with the songwriter using his own song on a record he's producing. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

I watched the AIR Miami/Detroit auditions this afternoon. Charles Grisby does the intro, and he was cute. Charles' audition also closed the show, and it seemed kind of rough to me. I'm kind of surprised he made it through to Hollywood. Clay's voice-over, of course, was a charming as ever, and it was very EEEEEE!!! inducing to see Clay in the promo for next week's Atlanta audition show. Can't wait, especially since I'm kind of doubting this is actually his week for 5th Grader.

Back For More represents rock star Clay and that was cruely taken away from him. There will be many things in the future that reminds people that rock star Clay was taken away but nothing will represent that more than that song.

As far as I'm concerned, it's all part and parcel of the same thing and I won't be mourning the album that wasn't all over again every time some new thing happens. I'm just waiting for the pyschoanalysis that Clay really loves the song but is trying to protect himself or us because he knew somebody else would be singing it.

Anyway, I don't know where Clay will ultimately end up or what he has in mind for his next album but I hope it is better than the disposable pop songs that anyone can sing. Yes I do want him to have fun good songs but I want them to be special not merely something that fits in. And not to say I didn't like Back For More..I did. I don't listen to it much anymore, like say the song that was so cruely taken from me me me me me and actually fits the love songs concept, Tears Run Dry. Where's my Clive voodoo doll. :cryingwlaughter:

In other words, eh! I'm looking ahead.

oh Bottle, didn't realize the songwriter is using the song on something he is producing. Well that makes sense to me. Clive doesn't own the song since Clay doesn't use it I don't blame him for not letting it rot on the shelf.

Back For More represents rock star Clay and that was cruely taken away from him. There will be many things in the future that reminds people that rock star Clay was taken away but nothing will represent that more than that song.

As far as I'm concerned, it's all part and parcel of the same thing and I won't be mourning the album that wasn't all over again every time some new thing happens. I'm just waiting for the pyschoanalysis that Clay really loves the song but is trying to protect himself or us because he knew somebody else would be singing it.

Anyway, I don't know where Clay will ultimately end up or what he has in mind for his next album but I hope it is better than the disposable pop songs that anyone can sing. Yes I do want him to have fun good songs but I want them to be special not merely something that fits in. And not to say I didn't like Back For More..I did. I don't listen to it much anymore, like say the song that was so cruely taken from me me me me me and actually fits the love songs concept, Tears Run Dry. Where's my Clive voodoo doll. :cryingwlaughter:

In other words, eh! I'm looking ahead.

You must by psychic; that is already happening.

Seriously, were the songwriters supposed to lock the song away in a trunk never to see the light of day again because Clay wasn't recording it? That seems to be what some are thinking and it makes me scratch my head.

Back at you, AAIT! :F_05BL17blowkiss: Thanks for commenting!

However, I suspect there's a boatload of people probably sick of hearing my thoughts and opinions that include references to AI5. I try to reign it in as much as possible, but sometimes it just spills over and I hope it remains at least tolerable for those of you who know too well the power this had on me:

thAIClay2.gifClay5.gif

You won't get any objections from me. I loved the AI5 appearance. It always suprrises me when I 'meet' someone who didn't first learn of Clay on AI2. I have a Clay friend who saw him first on SNL and enjoyed his performance there enough to travel alone to St. Paul to see a concert. That's just so cool!

I, too, LOVED Clay's AI5 appearance. I felt like I had to keep it quiet, though, or that I was weird or somehow a bad fan, 'cuz so many didn't like it.

Seriously????? I didn't know that. I'm not snarking, I really didn't realize that there were a lot of people that didn't like it. Sheesh! What do people want? He looked great, he sounded great and he set the entertainment news shows on their ears. Ii thought that appearance and the way it was executed was pure genius.

I think it's because the initial explosion weakens the structure and makes it susceptible to future explosions. And each consecutive explosion weakens it further, so that eventually even the most innocuous thing, such as, say, Clay blogging to say "Good morning, I love you all!" can cause another explosion. The only answer is to just shoot them and put them out of my misery.

:( I liked BFM. I would have enjoyed having it on a Clay CD someday, but if he didn't like it, that's that. Time to move on.

So let me understand this:

BFM is being released by another singer. Oh dear.

AYSTAFG didn't promote Clay's alleged appearance on this upcoming show. Oh dear.

OFC messed up again re: concert appearances/dates. Oh dear.

Honestly, I don't know how we're still drawing breaths. <_<

And wait! jumpingjacks can't go to her concert? Now THAT'S just not right! :o Hmmm...Omaha, huh? Let me check my calendar. :blush::whistling-1:

BTW, I went to see my mom and she told me a very entertaining story about how the nurse there found her and told her about my aunt dying. She honestly didn't remember that I called her and broke the news Thursday. But her version of the story was rather creative! :lol:

KAndre crawls into the FCA, having pigged out at the Greek Festival...lord love me, gyros and tyropita and dolmades and koulourakia and baklava and Greek wine...

blows kisses at KF

I'll agree that Clay is the epitome of what I think of as the American Idol archetype...but I don't think Kelly or Carrie or Daughtry would have made it without Idol...simply because they are unique...they are good, but not unique. Kelly had already given up and gone home - Carrie was working the local scene but Nashville wasn't beating down her door - Daughtry@#$#$ had his band for years and went nowhere. They did need AI to get that tremendous initial push and I think they are working to stay there. But Clay did have a Horatio Alger quality to his backstory.

Now I must watch some football game. For no good reason that I see.

I truly wish the fandom would allow him to develop into who is meant to be instead of always trying to make him into who they want or need him to be.

Kim

Aikim... love this statement... can we have it bronzed!!!

keepingfaith... I love your whole prior post and then this statement made me :cryingwlaughter: it's soooo true!

I loved everything about AI5. I played the part where he walked down the stairs over and over and over and still love it! :Thud: Then I saw the picture of him and Aaron with the caption that, "Me and my homie off to make some people(?) mad." The thought that he did it under the radar and put himself in control just tickled me and turned me on (not that that is difficult when it comes to Clay... LOL)

BWAH!!!

I agree. And pretending David Foster would turn Clay into a Rock! Star! is laughable, especially when the same people used to diss Foster for the same reason.

I think it's because the initial explosion weakens the structure and makes it susceptible to future explosions. And each consecutive explosion weakens it further, so that eventually even the most innocuous thing, such as, say, Clay blogging to say "Good morning, I love you all!" can cause another explosion. The only answer is to just shoot them and put them out of my misery.

:( I liked BFM. I would have enjoyed having it on a Clay CD someday, but if he didn't like it, that's that. Time to move on.

Y'all are good today!!!

I liked BFM too, but it's a fact that anyone could sing it. It's not a "song for singers."

Then I saw the picture of him and Aaron with the caption that, "Me and my homie off to make some people(?) mad." The thought that he did it under the radar and put himself in control just tickled me and turned me on (not that that is difficult when it comes to Clay... LOL)

JMO, but I think Nigel Lithgow was aware from the beginning, and !! also Clive !! I think they knew he was going to appear on AI back when the pictures that didn't show his face were posted at the fan club.

Another AI5 lover here. I TOTALLY loved everything about it. I loved his look, I loved his confidence, I loved his singing, I loved the OTT reaction of Micheal.

:elephanthugs:Jumpingjack

As soon as Clay said he didn't really like BFM...I knew that there was a possibility it would be released by someone else. Oh well...that was not really a very good version of it.

Watching Idol rewind...totally cute narration. I am impressed that AI rewind spent the extra money to get Clay narration. This week I thought it was very uch like the original version...I'm sure it would be cheaper for them to just go with the old narration. BUT I really love his participation.

You know I understand that many fans liked BFM. I understand that some were disappointed to hear, from Clay, that he thought it cheesy. And I understand that some are sad to hear that it's been recorded for someone else's project. What I don't get is why it has to turn into this "thing." I just don't think the song is THAT damn important in the grand scheme of things that Clive would use it's awesome radio friendlyness to somehow punish Clay by NOT letting him record it. I just don't get all that. Clay wasn't too fond of it. It didn't fit the project. They didn't want to hold on to it for a future project and let it go. Is that really that implausible?

Back home after a long day. Our team won!!! :clap: And we had a nice dinner with dd and her dh.

I liked BFM as a concert song and it may have done well on the radio, but I don't think it did anything for Clay's voice. Its a song that can be sung by just about anyone and doesn't require the kind of voice he has. It only makes sense that it got released to someone else since Clay was not going to release it. I never heard of Loverboy. Probably because I wasn't into pop music in the 80's. That decade was devoted to Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers, and Raffi. :D :

Keepingfaith, I loved the AI5 finale and I watch that video frequently. He strolled out on that stage looking every inch the STAR and was the watercooler talk for days after. Stole Taylor's thunder for sure.

Those AMA pics are just....... :hubbahubba:

Okay, please help me because I'm not going to search out the angst. Do people think this is going to be a big radio hit ..... for Loverboy? Is that the issue, really? I may be wrong, but the last time I remember Loverboy having a hit was sometime in the 80's. They were big and had a couple of huge albums, but I remember it being about 25 years ago.

Then I saw the picture of him and Aaron with the caption that, "Me and my homie off to make some people(?) mad." The thought that he did it under the radar and put himself in control just tickled me and turned me on (not that that is difficult when it comes to Clay... LOL)

JMO, but I think Nigel Lithgow was aware from the beginning, and !! also Clive !! I think they knew he was going to appear on AI back when the pictures that didn't show his face were posted at the fan club.

jmh... I didn't say they didn't know he was going to appear... I just don't think they knew about the surprise hairdo, IMO. Niguel was interviewed after the show with Ryan and didn't say he knew or didn't know, just that it was a great tv moment. Roger was at the fitting, but he might not of known how Clay was going to do his hair. We had seen Clay from the miliary ceremony he sang at a bit before and his hair was very long then, but no one guessed what he was going to do with it. Especially the 3 stooges and Ryan didn't know. So... I think he surprised almost everyone. JMHO!

You know I understand that many fans liked BFM. I understand that some were disappointed to hear, from Clay, that he thought it cheesy. And I understand that some are sad to hear that it's been recorded for someone else's project. What I don't get is why it has to turn into this "thing." I just don't think the song is THAT damn important in the grand scheme of things that Clive would use it's awesome radio friendlyness to somehow punish Clay by NOT letting him record it. I just don't get all that. Clay wasn't too fond of it. It didn't fit the project. They didn't want to hold on to it for a future project and let it go. Is that really that implausible?

Is this really a big deal now in other places?

BTW...LOVE THOSE PICS LdyJ!!!!

Is this really a big deal now in other places?

BTW...LOVE THOSE PICS LdyJ!!!!

Yup, its a big deal in other places.

ETA: Ooooooh, lookie, I'm a body guard!!!!

Okay, please help me because I'm not going to search out the angst. Do people think this is going to be a big radio hit ..... for Loverboy? Is that the issue, really? I may be wrong, but the last time I remember Loverboy having a hit was sometime in the 80's. They were big and had a couple of huge albums, but I remember it being about 25 years ago.

I stated my opinion on the OFC that I didn't believe it would be radio hit or that it was given great consideration by Clay, Jaymes, and RCA.

But of course... I work for Davis and I am his daughter. HA!

And of course...BFM could spin its way to the top of charts. HA!