#18: He has always had the VOICE! But, boy has he ever learned to use his instrument!

Ansamcw

Thread title poll  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• Cheerful snark, cheerful criticism, cheerful smut, cheerful acceptance, cheerful sporking, cheerful threats, cheerful maniacal laughter....
    • There are so many different kinds of beautiful...
    • He's blossomed from a confirmed nerd to an international bon vivant.
    • You never know when that rush of emotion will hit you when it comes to Clay!
    • All it says to me is that Clay's critics are full of s***, six ways from Sunday.
    • Clay Aiken:glorious voice, excellent comic actor, master of character and man in tights!
    • This guy is not only a star, he is a lot more...

Yeah. That's what I was thinking he was thinking. :mellow::cry4: Sigh. It really is beginning to look like my first concert tour without actually seeing a live concert. Guess there's a first for everything, right?

:F_05BL17blowkiss: Ahhh hon. I'm sorry things aren't looking good. but Kenny's not going to let me in the house again is he

Does that include doing Clay? :hubbahubba:

that's my girl...

Now, Keepingfaith... your next act as daughter of Clive is to leak a studio version of Tears Run Dry to the internet. Please. prety please? Oh, and we'd love to hear the approved songs for Clay's next album :cryingwlaughter:

No darlin', I'm not the chosen one. Maybe lightmyfire can help us out! If it were me, I'd give you what you want. I adored Tears Run Dry from the JBT clack. It was by far my favorite of the try-out songs.

heee oops.. forgive me..I've been around kids 24/7

Just for the record, once again, I LOVE Back for More. I was really sad when it wasn't on the album that became ATDW. I'm just not going to make myself miserable over the fact that it was recorded by someone else, especially under these circumstances. I think I'd worry more if I were a Loverboy fan (a guest on their album is !! Def Leppard !! and their lead singer is an !! artist and musician !! who !! wrote every song !! on the album) when he's been caught in a baldfaced lie over a pretty big deal in the music business, the claim to be writing one's own songs. And on top of that, the song was performed first by Clay Aiken. I mean, CLAY AIKEN. I think it's kind of funny myself. These are the guys of the era that ATDW honored with all those 80's classics. And one of those bands, multi-million sellers in their time but now virtually unknown, ends up picking a Clay Aiken song to put on their comeback album. It's hilarious. All it says to me is that Clay's critics are full of shit, six ways from Sunday.

I love the song. And I can see how it went to this band, trying a comeback album with a similar sound. It's a delicious irony.

About a week ago I saw a blog that lamented the loss of BFM and Rock! Star! Clay! in the same breath as they said LAA was the Best. Song. Ever. That's a delicious irony too.

One man can do both things, but not in a music world in which one of these songs is more likely to be heard than the other, but neither is really "contemporary". There's really nothing wrong with the fact that people like songs like BFM. Did I mention that I love it? Or that most people might not want to listen to LAA every hour 16 hours a day on the radio. But I couldn't forgo LAA for 10 BFMs. I would not rather have Clay be doing a Kelly Clarkson to his voice and singing about butts at the cost of hearing That Voice. I would not. But neither have I ever thought that I'd seen the last of a singing, dancing, acting dorky to the fast songs Clay.

Just for the record, once again, I LOVE Back for More. I was really sad when it wasn't on the album that became ATDW. I'm just not going to make myself miserable over the fact that it was recorded by someone else, especially under these circumstances. I think I'd worry more if I were a Loverboy fan (a guest on their album is !! Def Leppard !! and their lead singer is an !! artist and musician !! who !! wrote every song!! on the album) when he's been caught in a baldfaced lie over a pretty big deal in the music business, the claim to be writing one's own songs. And on top of that, the song was performed first by Clay Aiken. I mean, CLAY AIKEN. I think it's kind of funny myself. These are the guys of the era that ATDW honored with all those 80's classics. And one of those bands, multi-million sellers in their time but now virtually unknown, ends up picking a Clay Aiken song to put on their comeback album. It's hilarious. All it says to me is that Clay's critics are full of shit, six ways from Sunday.

I love the song. And I can see how it went to this band, trying a comeback album with a similar sound. It's a delicious irony.

About a week ago I saw a blog that lamented the loss of BFM and Rock! Star! Clay! in the same breath as they said LAA was the Best. Song. Ever. That's a delicious irony too.

One man can do both things, but not in a music world in which one of these songs is more likely to be heard than the other, but neither is really "contemporary". There's really nothing wrong with the fact that people like songs like BFM. Did I mention that I love it? Or that most people might not want to listen to LAA every hour 16 hours a day on the radio. But I couldn't forgo LAA for 10 BFMs. I would not rather have Clay be doing a Kelly Clarkson to his voice and singing about butts at the cost of hearing That Voice. I would not. But neither have I ever thought that I'd seen the last of a singing, dancing, acting dorky to the fast songs Clay.

I interviewed Def Leppard in the 80's... :cryingwlaughter:

Great guys by the way...

Okay, please help me because I'm not going to search out the angst. Do people think this is going to be a big radio hit ..... for Loverboy? Is that the issue, really? I may be wrong, but the last time I remember Loverboy having a hit was sometime in the 80's. They were big and had a couple of huge albums, but I remember it being about 25 years ago.

At the only other place I've read today, the general feeling is that Loverboy has sucked the life out of the song and it shouldn't be a hit, but who knows in today's climate. I haven't ventured to the OFC, however, and have no clue over there (other than assumptions). What I found for me, was it made me sad that Clay did not get to record for release, BFM, and it stung to hear someone else singing it. My reaction greatly surprised me today. I wasn't upset it wasn't on ATDW, but I guess I did consider it "Clay's song". It was great that he/they(?) agreed to release it if they weren't going to use it. I only listened to two lines of Loverboy's version, to confirm it was the same song, but it left me with the same feeling of being robbed that ATDW release week did, in that I expected to feel elated all week, and so very happy, and most of those awesome feelings didn't occur for me. They felt robbed and even now, when I think back to that time, it feels negative and low to me, (and I do still feel robbed), but maybe my expectations were too high. I just thought we'd follow awesome sales for weeks and weeks and be excited and happy and life would be wonderful (fantasies can get you in trouble, I guess). Don't get me wrong, I LOVE ATDW and listen to all or part of it most everyday, and I still think it should have sold WAY more than it has. Clay did an awesome job on that album and I am so proud of him and it. I was completely caught by surprise by this reaction today. But, that was then and this is now, and Clay seems happy and I adored the SRHP tour and can't wait until the CITH tour and seeing Clay again and again and again for a long LONG time, so life goes on --- and Clay seems happy --- and that's the most important thing. I'll be here regardless of roadbumps! Besides, roadbumps can morph into smooth sailing, and all things happen for a reason. [/sapoff]

I'm offering sincere sympathy and hugs to my dear CG, who is likely mourning that the Phillies are no longer in the playoffs. Here's hoping that the next season is better for you and your team (but not too much better! :) )

:big hug: :hugs-1: :big hug:

And now, GO ROCKIES!!!! :cheerleader::cheerleader: :cheerleader:

I'm offering sincere sympathy and hugs to my dear CG, who is likely mourning that the Phillies are no longer in the playoffs. Here's hoping that the next season is better for you and your team (but not too much better! :) )

:big hug: :hugs-1: :big hug:

And now, GO ROCKIES!!!! :cheerleader::cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Yeah, yeah, yeah. You're just lucky you caught the Phillies in a down cycle...........

But I guess I have to should want to say congrats to the damn Rockies.

:cry4:

{{{{muski}}}} Don't give up hope. You never know what might happen.

AAIT :F_05BL17blowkiss: You never know when that rush of emotion will hit you when it comes to Clay. I've had it strike me once or twice... and I think it's happened when nothing at all is going on. Silly I know.

I'm not even curious enough to listen to Loverboy. Did they have a lot of hits. I remember the name but I feel as they are known for one song but can't remember what it is.

JMT loved your last post. You are me. Sometimes I feel weird cuz I'm not angry enough on Clay's behalf. I don't really relate to the anger. But i feel it's going to keep on coming. We have that Steven Curtis Chapman song to look forward to as well. Of course I reserve the right to throw the biggest hissy fit ever seen when TRD shows up anywhere else.

It's weird to be in a strange house at night. Every noise is something spooky until I realize..oh that's the dishwasher..the dog walking around, the cat wanting to be let in. LOL.

Good night FCA.

Sorry CG about your Phillies and the same to all the Phillies and Cubs fans. I know exactly what you are going through as my team loved to make the playoffs and get ousted in the first round.

YSRN: You Giants fan YOU. heee. Close your eyes CG..yeah it was nice to see Erick Byrnes finally win one. I believe Jason Kendall was also an A. I watched both games today..in high def. WOW heh. I might go home and kick a few of my TVs.

BFM never blew my skirt up.

bwahaha.gif

Does this?????

Why do the same heads explode over and over? Shouldn't they get that fixed?

keepingfaith, these one liners are just cracking me up. I think you'll be keeping us in thread titles for awhile if you keep this up. :cryingwlaughter:

I sold the Omaha ticket this afternoon.

{{{{{{{jumpingjacks}}}}}}} I wish someone would just buy my Las Vegas tickets and put me out of my misery. As long as I have them in my possession, there is this niggling little voice telling me that maybe I will still be able to go. And I know it's not the usual suspect KarenEh cause she's kind of busy flying across big ponds right now. Last night I even went to expedia (kicks self) and discovered the prices of the flights and the hotel had gone down. :cry4:

ETA: Ooooooh, lookie, I'm a body guard!!!!

Wow, keldanker, what is it like? I'm only halfway around the proverbial block with my canine. I really should learn to write shorter posts. Sigh.

Pray for me.

I will, muski, and I'll mention Chicago and couchie too...kay?

The thing of it, IMO, is that some simply cannot blame Clay. I see a pretty high pedestal there, and some refuse to let him fall. But, the man is human, and he's going to make decisions that some aren't going to like -- whether it be the songs he sings or the way he looks. And, as a fan, I can't do anything about that. All I can do is go along for the ride, and get off if something happens to change my mind (very doubtful in my case).

That 'pedestal' you're talking about; I couldn't agree more. And the higher the pedestal, the harder he falls. This has happened to a very good friend of mine, and there are just too many shattered pieces to ever put together again.

I don't know anything about the music business, so I mostly stay quiet when it comes to Clive Davis and his ilk. Never heard of LoverBoy .....

I am much more of a Tears Run Dry girl, than a Back for More fan. There was this one good line in the lyrics in BFM that I liked though....."Somebody's making a fortune selling emotions to fools like me...". It just kinda summed up radio nicely.

I love the mike stands flying; hey, I love the songs that make the boy rock move.....but the songs that go straight to my heart are songs like LAA, and TRD and JY where I can really hear Clay's inside voice.

And I love the All Those Damn Women CD.

Between BFM and TRD...I loved our reaction to BFM more than the song itself. I loved that it made Clay move and in return, made us move with him, but TRD is my favorite for his voice. I think it would make a good radio song.

Thread titles...?

couchie wrote:

You never know when that rush of emotion will hit you when it comes to Clay

jmh123 wrote:

All it says to me is that Clay's critics are full of shit, six ways from Sunday.

Sorry for all those not getting to go to their concerts. Seriously, I think that's a feeling only another Clay fan could fully appreciate.

My Indians are still in the hunt. Please think kind thoughts for tomorrow's game...unless you're a Yankee fan, then I'll give you a pass. :cryingwlaughter:

Carrie has two friends here for a sleepover tonight. :blink:

Pray for me.

I just read this as CLAY was two friends here for a sleepover!!! I was thinking, "Dang, either you have a great imagination, woman, or I wanna go to your house!"

:cryingwlaughter:

Guess I'm getting too tired to read.

~

BFM - I wish he would bring it back for more, or something uptempo (and upbeat, too JaMar)!

Back at you, AAIT! :F_05BL17blowkiss: Thanks for commenting!

However, I suspect there's a boatload of people probably sick of hearing my thoughts and opinions that include references to AI5. I try to reign it in as much as possible, but sometimes it just spills over and I hope it remains at least tolerable for those of you who know too well the power this had on me:

thAIClay2.gifClay5.gif

{{{{{{zena}}}}}}

It's so sweet here at FCA. I think only about five people, total, appreciated my perspective at OFC, and I think that's because I wasn't a marketing legend in my own mind. For some reason, that stuff seemed to go over big. And the super-secret-inside-rockstar stuff. What a load of crap that all was, and how nice it is to be free of it.

Jumping on the bandwagon to say WORD to a great post keepingfaith!

And talk about AI5 as much as your little heart desires - I for sure won't get tired of hearing it!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

BWAH! You're on a roll today keepingfaith. I think being sick agrees with you! Brilliant post earlier, absolutely brilliant. I am almost jealous of your late entry into the internet part of the fandom. I can only say almost, because truly the ratio of crazy:most fun I've ever had in my life is still pretty dang low.

The reaction to the Loverboy/BFM thing is soooo predictable. Seriously - he sang it in 2005. He said he didn't care much for it. Do these people really think that these things only happen to Clay? [/rhetorical]. They're working on my ratio I guess, lol. I'll just copy my post from elsewhere:

Ehh, it was fun in concert, but it doesn't bother me a bit that someone else recorded it. I can hear Clay sing it whenever I want to. And whatever happens with it for Loverboy, Clay sang it first. I wonder if Loverboy fans are up in arms about them recording a song that Clay Aiken rejected? [/snerk] And even they don't consider it 'first single' material.

At least it wasn't Daughtry!!!1!!!!!11!!

Sort of like Joe Cocker covering "A Little Help From My Friends" - it was OK, but would never take away the glory from the originators. ::spoken like a true Beatlemaniac:: :cryingwlaughter:

Good morning!

Chiming in on BFM. I am one who LOVED Clay singing BFM!

I don't know sh*t, but I do think Clay often has a pat answer for something that has hurt or ticked him off. The man sang the shiznit outta BFM and when he sang it on GMA, he had sung it for an audience only once, right? And the audience already knew it and sang along!

To me, that's what he 'didn't really like it' was - a pat answer.

But, let me re-emphasize, I don't know sh*t!

I also am not interested enough to go hear someone else's version. BFM was like a second Invisible, to me. It got Clay and the joint rockin'! It was a good time.

And I also loved the little dig at Radio, Radio, Radio! Q&A (and Jacob) seemed to love playing with the crowd on that one. It was just FUN!

Was it the most beautiful use of Clay's voice?

No.

Was it a blast?

For me, Yes!

So maybe it wouldn't have been a radio hit.

But I still feel a tinge of something . . .

regret?

sadness?

disappointment?

resignation?

. . . that it's been confirmed that Clay won't be recording it.

But that's just me.

Back For More represents rock star Clay and that was cruely taken away from him. There will be many things in the future that reminds people that rock star Clay was taken away but nothing will represent that more than that song.

As far as I'm concerned, it's all part and parcel of the same thing and I won't be mourning the album that wasn't all over again every time some new thing happens. I'm just waiting for the pyschoanalysis that Clay really loves the song but is trying to protect himself or us because he knew somebody else would be singing it.

Anyway, I don't know where Clay will ultimately end up or what he has in mind for his next album but I hope it is better than the disposable pop songs that anyone can sing. Yes I do want him to have fun good songs but I want them to be special not merely something that fits in. And not to say I didn't like Back For More..I did. I don't listen to it much anymore, like say the song that was so cruely taken from me me me me me and actually fits the love songs concept, Tears Run Dry. Where's my Clive voodoo doll. :cryingwlaughter:

In other words, eh! I'm looking ahead.

oh Bottle, didn't realize the songwriter is using the song on something he is producing. Well that makes sense to me. Clive doesn't own the song since Clay doesn't use it I don't blame him for not letting it rot on the shelf.

Word---Actually I though BFM was fun but I let go of it when Clay said he really didn't care for it that much. They'll be others, I feel sure.

I'm starting to really get excited about the NS Tribute. I watched an exquisite montage, yesterday, of Clay singing Solitaire both of the times he performed on AI. They made me cry, they were so beautiful. I hope he wears something dark and he looks all smokey and sultry.

I wondered if you guy s had seen this. I didn't see it anywhere. Clay's just stunning, and the montage has some remarks from Neil Sedaka.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote- This is from CB-----

Are you ready for Clay's performance in Neil Sedaka's 50th Anniversary Tribute? Just three weeks away - but I can't seem to wait that long. Here is a montage I made to get everybody in the mood for it:

Something went wrong with the link .... fixing it now.

Link fixed:

Sendspace link:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4xfdx9

Good Morning All,

4 Days until Clay is on AYSTAFG (Hopefully? Keeping Fingers and Toes Crossed!)

19 Days until Clay is Live at Lincoln Center!

30 Days until Clay Tapes The Skating Special!

50 Days until The Christmas Tour Starts!

76 Days until Christmas In Merrillville!

79 Days until The Skating Special Airs!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

I'm not even curious enough to listen to Loverboy. Did they have a lot of hits. I remember the name but I feel as they are known for one song but can't remember what it is.

Turn Me Loose. (I gotta have it my way, or no way at allllllll). Loving Every Minute Of It was pretty big too, I believe.

For some reason, I love the way his EYES look when he's smiling. There's way more to his smile than just his mouth, it's his entire face that lights up.

ldyj - did you know there's scientific evidence that there's a type of smile called a "Duchenne smile" in which the corners of the eyes involuntarily crinkle?

It's the most sincere kind of smile there is - it makes you smile back!!

That's so cool - thanks for the info. I always look at Clay's eyes when he smiles, they just draw me in, and make me feel like he is really feeling that smile through his whole body.

First time I've been able to get on this morning, because we're having a DANDY thunder and lightning storm on this supposed-to-be-a-30-above day. Look out cindilu2 and luckiest and goldarngirl! Here it comes!

Thanks a bunch FromClaygary but I'm in Halifax and it is beautiful here :D

Hee, I'm up near you this weekend, FromClaygary, and it was a doozy, wasn't it? Lasted all freaking day.....

This CMSU. Thanks, I needed that laugh!

Ehh, it was fun in concert, but it doesn't bother me a bit that someone else recorded it. I can hear Clay sing it whenever I want to. And whatever happens with it for Loverboy, Clay sang it first. I wonder if Loverboy fans are up in arms about them recording a song that Clay Aiken rejected? [/snerk] And even they don't consider it 'first single' material.

At least it wasn't Daughtry!!!1!!!!!11!!

BWAH! Can you imagine the angst that would have brought? But I'm with you, while I really enjoyed BFM in concert, I have some awesome clack of it and can listen to it whenever I want. I'm not particularly attached to the song, though. Never thought it was the greatest vehicle for his voice, and I really am all about the VOX.

Anyway, I don't know where Clay will ultimately end up or what he has in mind for his next album but I hope it is better than the disposable pop songs that anyone can sing. Yes I do want him to have fun good songs but I want them to be special not merely something that fits in. And not to say I didn't like Back For More..I did. I don't listen to it much anymore, like say the song that was so cruely taken from me me me me me and actually fits the love songs concept, Tears Run Dry. Where's my Clive voodoo doll. :cryingwlaughter:

In other words, eh! I'm looking ahead.

Well said. Although I honestly don't listen to TRD or JY any more than I listen to BFM. I liked all of the "new" songs he sang on the JBT, but I don't expect him to record any of them in the future. I just think the time for that has passed.

Honestly, I don't know how we're still drawing breaths. <_<

Hee! So glad I checked in here first and saved myself the trouble of weeding through the angst elsewhere.

I don't think Clay was "preparing " the fans, I think what he said was just common sense and, if any fans needed for to be prepared for that, they are stoopid. I guess some believe taht if Clay does not pick their song, the writer will just slit their throat in frustration and have their will set up so the songs are Clay's for perpituity.

Another BWAH! You guys have been on a roll!

Isn't that like...well...calling Clay a....a liar?

I think some folks can't accept the fact that Clay didn't like something that they did. They were so sure that this was the song that was going to be his rocketship to the top of the charts, and he chose a different path. I think they feel rejected. :(

Bingo! I'm down with this theory.

OK, back to RL. I swear, I didn't bring the laptop north with me this weekend, I didn't. But when we got here son #2 says to me "Where is the laptop?" and promptly text messaged his sister, who was still at home, to please bring it because he was bored. :P

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL THE CLAYNADIANS!!!!!

And, obviously, everyone gets to decide for themselves when Clay is giving a pat answer and when he's not. M'kay. Interesting concept there.

I think Clay is a good entertainer. He sells his performance to the audience. That is what he gets paid to do. Does he have to like every song he performs? I still think it's more plausible that he just didn't care for the song and when it didn't fit the project they let it go. I didn't ever get the impression that he was emotionally invested in the song. But maybe I just need one of them supersekrit decoder rings or something. *g*

Well, I guess I am one of the few that is glad BFM did NOT make the album. I did not care for it at all! I felt that it was too much upper register and that he was straining to reach it.

I agree........it was a fun song for a concert. I was in the risers at AC and it was fun watching the crowd during the song..... a real energizer.

That song was just not suited for a voice like his.

And, obviously, everyone gets to decide for themselves when Clay is giving a pat answer and when he's not.

Which is why I said, "To me, ".

And, really. It doesn't matter to me why the song is gone. I loved it. I'm sad it's gone.

Doesn't mean I don't look forward to what's coming. I'm excited to see what he does next.

And next . . .

And next . . .

But BFM will always hold a special place in my heart!

I like Tears, too, but JY, not so much.

However, I'm trying to watch AIR. I don't know if I can't stand much more of these auditions! Could someone just do a combo video/audio montage with just the Clay parts? Silencing all the Maria Carey wannabees???

:cryingwlaughter:

Really. Making my ears bleed!

I actually feel sorry for the Zero Trio!

And, really. It doesn't matter to me why the song is gone. I loved it. I'm sad it's gone.

That I understand. Feeling a need to find a reason why Clay said HE didn't like it...not so much. That's a slippery slope. IMO, Clay was pretty darn straight forward in his answers to the fans questions at the M&G's this summer. So some of them didn't fit into the "speculation" that went on about ATDW. I, for one, think he was telling it like it is.

But then that's just ME.

I have an interesting little tidbit to share (well, it was interesting to me.)

I had bought hubby the first season DVD of WKRP In Cincinnati (I blame Clay, couldn't get the song out of my head and then I was ordering DVD's at work one day and saw it and had to have it!)

Anyway, one of the episodes was about Les being thought of as being gay. He was being banned from interviewing sports figures in the locker room because he misspoke and someone referred to him as a "queer little guy" and another player took that literally. So Andy and Mr. Carlson are telling him this and reassuring him that they will get it straightened out. Les's reaction?

"It doesn't matter if I am or not, people are going to think what they want"

Kind of knocked my breath away for minute hearing this and then kind of made me sad to think 20 some years after that show was on the air those perceptions are still valid today.

On a lighter note, the show is still hysterically funny and I still love Dr. Johnny Fever!

Kim

I think Clay is a good entertainer. He sells his performance to the audience. That is what he gets paid to do. Does he have to like every song he performs?

This is an interesting subject to me, JaMar. I like to think that a music comes from the performer, in the abstract sense, that it is a form of self-espression. I know it's naive, but I hate to think that someone would choose to sing a song they actually don't like just because it's well received. I know singers probably get really tired of some songs, and sing them because the fans really want them to, but that's different. To start out with a song you don't like.... not a good thing. I can't listen for just the sound. It's not enough for me. There needs to be something to hold it up, and for me, that's the communication behind it. But then, you know the kind of music I lean toward.....

Clay doesn't like it, so I hope he never feels pressure to record or perform it. I like it, so I hope to hear it somehwere - not from Loverboy, though.

ETA: As I think about this more, These Open Arms comes to mind as an example. I don't like that song much, but Clay brings conviction to it, and that's what made it such a great song to hear live IMO. I don't like the song any better now that the tour is over, and I still skip it on the CD, but the way he communicated when he sang it made all the difference. I'd rather hear him sing that than BFM, despite my personal preferences.