# 19: Clay Aiken: glorious voice, excellent comic actor, master of character and man in tights!

ldyjocelyn

Next thread title poll  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the next main thread title

• Clay is just so frickin' cute! Cute, cute, cute!
    • Clay Aiken, star of stage, screen, television and our hearts
    • He's just a gorgeous piece of manhood
    • Our man for all seasons and so many reasons
    • I am looking forward to every beautiful, funny, cheese-a-licious thing he throws my way this Christmas.
    • Looking forward to our Christmas romp in the snow with our Boyfriend!
    • GAHHHHH A main course of sexy, considerate, cute, hot, humble, witty, wise (& wise-ass) Clay for dinner, and then a helping of Teacher Clay for dessert. Life is good!
    • "What do you like?" Clay asks the little girl Sierra. And she said "I like you" She has good taste.
    • He has always been all that he is now, which is much more than he has often been given credit for, and even less than he is yet to become.
    • I think the world will always need Clay Aiken more than Clay Aiken needs the world. He is a realist; a survivor, and a star no matter how badly someone cuts his hair.
    • Was he beginning to get a clue that life would never be the same?
    • I am looking forward to every beautiful, funny, cheese-a-licious thing he throws my way this Christmas.
    • "Seriously, if I get any more excited about Clay being in Spamalot, I may spontaneously combust!"
    • "Spam me, baby!"

Speaking of "awesome" . . .

I woke up this morning with a different feeling from the - well "giddiness" is too strong a word, but you get my drift.

I was struck by the awesomeness that this is for Clay.

It is an awesome opportunity.

It will be an awesome task.

He will have to be awesome in the part. ( I have no doubt he will be Awesome!)

Just Wow!

He must be absolutely vibrating with excitement!

And . . .

is it wrong of me to have read Gibby's last line as

"And we are having a fantastic time enjoying his manly talents."?

My computer is now sporting this as it's new wallpaper:

th_Spamalot1.jpg

I couldn't be more happier for Clay. What great news. yahoo.gif This will be a great career move for him. The stage is what he truly loves, I believe. Entertaining, beyond just singing. As evidenced by all his Hometown Connection shows. This musical is perfect for him. Just perfect. I love Monty Python, always have. Funny, funny humor and I know that Clay will do a fine job. My heart is broken that I will not be able to attend a show. gaah.gif Christmas tour is out too.

Congrats to two of our own FCA members for getting a shout out from Clay. high5.gif He loves us here. Yes he does. thnanaexhib.gif I wouldn't be able to stop bragging about it or come down from cloud nine for two months. So, congrats to Aikim & Kareneh.

I think Clay is very smart to blog, answer questions in Chat, and post in threads, and do a contest to include OFC members on stage. (Not that I want to pay to see that) What better way to guarantee renewals for OFC, and to sell JNT tickets. He is no dummy. nails.gif

I am sure I read this yesterday, but now I can't find it. Did somebody post that the actor (oh, how it thrills me to type that word in reference to Clay. <giddy grin>) who play Sir Robin also plays other characters? Did I dream that?

I couldn't be more happier for Clay. What great news. This will be a great career move for him. The stage is what he truly loves, I believe. Entertaining, beyond just singing. As evidenced by all his Hometown Connection shows. This musical is perfect for him. Just perfect.
You know, Clayzorback, I was nodding my head when I read this and then I stopped and muttered, 'Oh-oh'...because I can just imagine the furor among some at the suggestion that what Clay truly loves is anything other than becoming a ROCK.STAR.AMONG.NO.PEERS!

:cryingwlaughter:

But I think Clay was VERY clear in his blog that this turn in his path is just that---a turn born of opportunity and natural curiosity and confidence in his talents. People who are set on turning this into some declaration of intent never to release another CD or never tour again to sing or NEVER to write another song? Well, I honestly don't understand where that's coming from. He addressed all that stuff, leaving no doubt (at least in my simple mind) that he's "letting God (and Mike Nichols--heh) and letting go"...

Just like he has repeatedly said he tries to do.

In fact, I've come to just KNOW that what CLay Aiken does is what he

1. planned on doing or

2. wants to do anyway or

3. makes the most out of a second (or third or no) choice option

In any case, though, he remains Clay. I never doubt that. And let me tell you, that's good enough for me. :hubbahubba::DoClay:

I am sure I read this yesterday, but now I can't find it. Did somebody post that the actor (oh, how it thrills me to type that word in reference to Clay. <giddy grin>) who play Sir Robin also plays other characters? Did I dream that?

I did. Apparently the same actor who plays Robin usually plays Brother Maynard and a guard, as well. They aren't main parts but both do have some funny lines (and different costumes). I noticed last night that by the end of the play, Sir Robin is dressed in a white top hat and tails. :)

I think this will help to open doors for Clay, muskifest. I can't imagine that he will quit singing or touring all together. No way, but I do believe Clay loooooves him some Broadway. I also think he will be in his element. I am hoping this will give him an award and some recognition. Jumpstart his career again and perhaps make radio more receptive of him. Of course he will have to leave his Aiken random lyric generator at home. This is serious stuff. :cryingwlaughter: No making stuff up on the fly as he goes along. I bet he will not substitute the word crap for shitty either. At least I hope not....Hee

Ok. All I have time for. I am getting ready to make me some chicken fried rice and some Hawaiian bannana nut bread.

cindilu, I can't answer your question, but I love David Hyde Pearce. I loved him as Frazier's brother on the sitcom.

I wish I could cap, Clay has been on just about every news station in the NYC area. I need to start videotaping it, so I can show it to some of you when you come the NYC. By then, it will be old news. Although,I do expect a little opening night coverage. And, NO, I am not talking about Clay's baody parts-- you smutters, I know how you read things! I know who you are! HA!

I couldn't be more happier for Clay. What great news. This will be a great career move for him. The stage is what he truly loves, I believe. Entertaining, beyond just singing. As evidenced by all his Hometown Connection shows. This musical is perfect for him. Just perfect.
You know, Clayzorback, I was nodding my head when I read this and then I stopped and muttered, 'Oh-oh'...because I can just imagine the furor among some at the suggestion that what Clay truly loves is anything other than becoming a ROCK.STAR.AMONG.NO.PEERS!

You know, I had that thought a few times yesterday myself. Great minds think alike and all, right?

But I think Clay was VERY clear in his blog that this turn in his path is just that---a turn born of opportunity and natural curiosity and confidence in his talents. People who are set on turning this into some declaration of intent never to release another CD or never tour again to sing or NEVER to write another song? Well, I honestly don't understand where that's coming from. He addressed all that stuff, leaving no doubt (at least in my simple mind) that he's "letting God (and Mike Nichols--heh) and letting go"...

I think it's gotta be because THEY themselves can't "let go and let God/Goddess/Deity of Choice." I'm going to guess that there's a LOT of control issues in their lives, and to them, Clay is "biddable to their whims." (Wouldn't he like to know what my whim would be? :hubbahubba: ) In the meantime, though -- I personally don't try to control everything around me at all times. Can't do it, it won't happen...so I frequently relax and let things happen. (Of course, all bets are off when trying to plan a trip to NYC....heh.) I just don't think some can do that.

In any case, though, he remains Clay. I never doubt that. And let me tell you, that's good enough for me. :hubbahubba::DoClay:

Amen, sistah!

I did. Apparently the same actor who plays Robin usually plays Brother Maynard and a guard, as well. They aren't main parts but both do have some funny lines (and different costumes). I noticed last night that by the end of the play, Sir Robin is dressed in a white top hat and tails. :)

Which means that he'll be furiously undressing backstage, and women in the audience will be hoping/praying that they can find a way to sneak a peak backstage.

I am hoping this will give him an award and some recognition. Jumpstart his career again and perhaps make radio more receptive of him.

Clayzor, I'd love to be able to agree with you about this, but I can't. I think radio may end up now thinking of him, truly, as a Broadway person, and will be even more closed. To me, it TOTALLY depends on the songs for the next album, not his talent whether he gets on the radio (unfortunately, IMO).

No making stuff up on the fly as he goes along.

But a lot of what I've read this past 24 hours has suggested that there's more "openess" for improv in this show than there is in any other show on Broadway at the moment. It's not saying that he can forget lyrics and such, but I think he'll be really good at taking a "mess that mess up" situation and turning it into gold.

playbiller, I'm thinking he'll make many media rounds in the beginning of January to publicize this. And yes, I'm expecting more than a few reviews of his first night. *crosses fingers that he does well*

I would hope that this will show people that he really is an all around entertainer and maybe, just maybe , all in due time, a TV opportunity. If he had some sort of variety show, he could sing his little heart out.

I hope there isn't a long, tough writer's strike.

I'm also very excited about the CD. I hope it's worthy of that voice. I think he may have all these things timed so one can help the other.

Don't know how matinees will work out (could be that he does them all) but traditionally those are the ones that are missed when other matters are urgent.

BITE YOUR TONGUE!!!!! Says she who has tickets for TWO matinees...

Seriously, I doubt Clay is PLANNING on missing any shows. I think if he were, he would have said so in his blog. He KNOWS the fans were going to run out and start buying tickets immediately! This is the man who performed with terrible vertigo so as not to disappoint his fans. Nope. Unless he is physically unable, he will be there.

All I can say is that my boyfriend is clearly better than their boyfriend, cause I don't have to fix mine!

BWAH and WORD!

In fact, I've come to just KNOW that what CLay Aiken does is what he

1. planned on doing or

2. wants to do anyway or

3. makes the most out of a second (or third or no) choice option

Muski - a big fat WORD to this!

I was trying to think why the news of this has me as excited as I have been in a very long time.

I think it was because I have always felt Clay was multi-faceted - both in talent and desire.

That's one reason I never got in the "HE MUST BE A ROCK/POP STAR!!!!!!" car. I always thought he was destined for more. I always thought he would make his mark in many fields.

And I always thought he would shine on Broadway.

And I think Spamalot is the PERFECT show for him because he is so good at comedy.

And he has such a great sense of humor.

And reading what Mike Nichols said made me all giddy.

And he's recording a new album.

And he'll tour.

And then who knows what road he'll travel.

But I know he'll be around for us to enjoy for a LONG time.

I think he wants to do a lot of different things partly because he gets bored.

One thing I know for sure - WE will never get bored!

:wub:

I interrupt this fangirly fest for a very important public announcement. My husband sent this to me (a coworker sent it to him) and it was very, very sobering---especially since we have a teenaged daughter about to get her driver's license. I didn't know about this *77 service available from a cell phone, but I'm glad I learned about it. We'll be sharing this info with our daughters tonight!

YOU MUST KNOW *77

I knew about the red light on cars, but not the *77.

It was about 1:00 p.m. in the afternoon, and Lauren was driving to visit a friend. An UNMARKED police car pulled up behind her and put his lights on. Lauren's parents have always told her never to pull over for an unmarked car on the side of the road, but rather to wait until they get to a gas station, etc.

Lauren had actually listened to her parents advice, and promptly called *77 on her cell phone to tell the police dispatcher that she would not pull over right away.

She proceeded to tell the dispatcher that there was an unmarked police car with a flashing red light on his rooftop behind her. The dispatcher checked to see if there were police cars where she was and there weren't, and he told her to keep driving, remain calm and that he had back up already on the way.

Ten minutes later 4 cop cars surrounded her and the unmarked car behind her. One policeman went to her side and the others surrounded the car behind. They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground. The man was a convicted rapist and wanted for other crimes.

I never knew about the *77 Cell Phone feature, but especially for a woman alone in a car, you should not pull over for an unmarked car. Apparently police have to respect your right to keep going to a safe & quiet place. You obviously need to make some signals that you acknowledge them (i.e. put on your hazard lights) or call *77 like Lauren did.

Too bad the cell phone companies don't generally give you this little bit of wonderful information.

Speaking to a service representative at Bell Mobility confirmed that *77 was a direct link to state trooper info. So, now it's your turn to let your friends know about *77.

Send this to every woman (and person) you know; it may save a life.

This applies to ALL 50 states.

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

I think my feet are finally touching the ground....looks down, nope still daylight between me and the carpet! I do think this grin permanently fixed to my face and I know this warm feeling I have in my heart all day is not heartburn!

I am not really the fangirly type, but it is amazing to me that one little gesture by a 28 year-old guy that I really don't know can turn this 50 year-old mother of 4 into a babbling idiot. I am sure my friend Nancy was probably wondering what happened to her sane, always take the common sense approach, pure-bus riding friend...I was OMG'ing all over the place and all but hyperventilating on the phone.

But truly, I hope that everyone of Clay's fans gets their special moment with him, no matter how brief, because it truly does make you feel more connected to him and there is no feeling like it in the world. He has touched us all in so many ways with his voice, his heart, his humor, his faith and his just being there, that I was so very happy that I could return that to him; if just for a moment.

Now, do you think it would be too greedy of me to wish for a Meet and Greet so I can actually have him sign my screencap?

Kim

Only the story is not true.

Urban legends *77

Claygasm, I am so with you on this

I think it was because I have always felt Clay was multi-faceted - both in talent and desire.

That's one reason I never got in the "HE MUST BE A ROCK/POP STAR!!!!!!" car. I always thought he was destined for more. I always thought he would make his mark in many fields.

Although I do not think he is 100% comparable, since they are different people with somewhat different talents, the person most closely resembling Clay in the pat for me was Danny Kaye, oddly enough the first UNICEF celebrity ambassador.

Hmmm, I wonder if this is going to interfere with Clay's ambassadorial trip next year?

Anyhoo....I, too, am feeling the pain of having spent most of yesterday in some altered state of bliss and fangirly goo. Work calls....demmit. But really, women....

Could we have PICKED a more wonderful boyfriend? :wub::nanalove::loveletter::arrowed::flirtysmile3: :thsign27:

(well, except for the lack of conjugal visits, of course)

muski... were you in my head yesterday??? :cryingwlaughter:

I couldn't sleep last night for the planning of this and that around getting my butt to NYC. When, who could I meet, can I pull any business into to it since our HQ is in MD, round and round and round! :cryingwlaughter:

You know, I don't agree that radio will turn away cause of this. If anything, it will make him more of an accepted musical star/entertainer. If he has good uptempo songs on his next cd and they are supported properly, then I think he will have as much chance of getting radio play as he ever did and maybe more if he does well (and he will). JMHO!

The fandom is in a fever and with all the stuff coming up... Fifth Grader/Vegas/CITH then Spamolot... Plus he should have appearances to plug his upcoming stuff, esp Broadway and a new cd, I'm thinking the mood will remain good for quite a while. Especially if his next cd comes out... say in June and he tours wtih it in August/Sept. Man, that would be perfect in my book!

And, even if this doesn't happen... say he gets a movie offer next and the tour is put off till next spring, that's still a lot of wonderfulness and excitement. This is gonna be a good year and next, too!!! :clap:

aikim...

Now, do you think it would be too greedy of me to wish for a Meet and Greet so I can actually have him sign my screencap?

I don't think that is too much to ask at all... ask away!!! I'll support you!

I think there are fans who are emotionally committed to the idea of Clay as a successful recording artist. Television, film, and theatre are only tolerable to the extent that they further Clay's music career.

Me? I find that view somewhat limiting. Sure, I'd love to see him sell CD's, but I don't think CD recordings alone capture what makes him special.

Honestly, I'm not sure that even a "kick-ass" CD would necessarily be enough to earn him the kind of status and music "cred" that many want for him. Like it or not, he is not one of the "cool kids," and I don't see him ever trying to become one of them. It's not that I think he can't sing songs that could get radio play. I just get the feeling that he doesn't necessarily connect to the kind of music that regularly gets spins on Top 40 formats. If he does make it there, I suspect it will be with a ballad, something that could cross over from AC.

But my instincts are that radio is not going to be the engine of his career. I believe it will be other media (television, film, theatre) that will ultimately fuel his success. Some may consider them merely promotional tools, but I think they will be a much bigger part of his life. Why?

1) Because these allow audiences to see the broader range of his talents--his voice, yes, but also his personality and sense of humor. I have always believed that his comedic skills will be his ticket to broader acceptance, especially among males.

2) Because these tend to be somewhat less fixated on what is trendy at the moment. You don't have to be "hip" to be popular on television, film, or theatre. You just have to be entertaining, and Clay can certainly do that.

3) Because these ultimately offer more long-term career stability and financial reward. There's a reason why so many artists from Beyonce to Billy Ray Cyrus pursue acting careers. Music is a fickle, uncertain industry that often does not pay as much as one imagines. With the CD sales sliding, that's becoming even more and more true.

This Spamalot role may not pay him a fortune (although I suspect he's still getting more than the typical Broadway performer). However, it does come with a lot of benefits. One, I think it will be a tremendous learning experience, giving him the opportunity to develop his acting skills with seasoned professionals. Two, it will expose him to new audiences, people interested in the play who may not have a clue as to how talented he really is, including possible industry folk. And three, it will focus attention on his comedic talent, something that could pay off in terms of television or film roles in the future.

And if he gains broad popularity as an actor/performer, we would probably see an increased interest in his CD's and concerts. Look at the success of Hannah Montana.

In the early days of my fandom, I used think Clay would be recording star. Now I'm beginning to believe he was meant for bigger things.

"And we are having a fantastic time enjoying his manly talents."?

BWAH!!!

I think there are fans who are emotionally committed to the idea of Clay as a successful recording artist. Television, film, and theatre are only tolerable to the extent that they further Clay's music career.

Me? I find that view somewhat limiting. Sure, I'd love to see him sell CD's, but I don't think CD recordings alone capture what makes him special.

Honestly, I'm not sure that even a "kick-ass" CD would necessarily be enough to earn him the kind of status and music "cred" that many want for him. Like it or not, he is not one of the "cool kids," and I don't see him ever trying to become one of them. It's not that I think he can't sing songs that could get radio play. I just get the feeling that he doesn't necessarily connect to the kind of music that regularly gets spins on Top 40 formats. If he does make it there, I suspect it will be with a ballad, something that could cross over from AC.

But my instincts are that radio is not going to be the engine of his career. I believe it will be other media (television, film, theatre) that will ultimately fuel his success. Some may consider them merely promotional tools, but I think they will be a much bigger part of his life. Why?

1) Because these allow audiences to see the broader range of his talents--his voice, yes, but also his personality and sense of humor. I have always believed that his comedic skills will be his ticket to broader acceptance, especially among males.

2) Because these tend to be somewhat less fixated on what is trendy at the moment. You don't have to be "hip" to be popular on television, film, or theatre. You just have to be entertaining, and Clay can certainly do that.

3) Because these ultimately offer more long-term career stability and financial reward. There's a reason why so many artists from Beyonce to Billy Ray Cyrus pursue acting careers. Music is a fickle, uncertain industry that often does not pay as much as one imagines. With the CD sales sliding, that's becoming even more and more true.

This Spamalot role may not pay him a fortune (although I suspect he's still getting more than the typical Broadway performer). However, it does come with a lot of benefits. One, I think it will be a tremendous learning experience, giving him the opportunity to develop his acting skills with seasoned professionals. Two, it will expose him to new audiences, people interested in the play who may not have a clue as to how talented he really is, including possible industry folk. And three, it will focus attention on his comedic talent, something that could pay off in terms of television or film roles in the future.

And if he gains broad popularity as an actor/performer, we would probably see an increased interest in his CD's and concerts. Look at the success of Hannah Montana.

In the early days of my fandom, I used think Clay would be recording star. Now I'm beginning to believe he was meant for bigger things.

I agree completely!!

:word::word: :word:

And now, for other news - I hereby officially resign from parenthood. Being the mother of two teenaged daughters is simply too much for me today. I'll let you know when I decide whether or not to take them back (heeee - don't I wish!).

:ohthedrama::crying1::ohthedrama: :angry22: :ohthedrama::wasntme::ohthedrama:

Gibby I feel your pain...and then some...I have 4 daughters...23, 22, 20 and 18. I feel like I have been on a permanent rollercoaster for the past 10 years or so. Of course, I should have know what to expect since I have three sisters myself and have vivid memories of those teen-ager years when we fought like cats and dogs.

But there is light at the end of the tunnel, I now have 4 grown daughters who are foraging their way through life and though I still don't like some of the decisions they are making; they are all pretty independent ladies with good heads on their shoulders and actually are starting to believe that mom knew what she was talking about after all!

Kim

Can I just follow Jenna around and say "WORD" every few minutes or so? Fantastic post.

Meanwhile....

...I mentioned to my husband again today that I'd really like to go to NYC to see the play. Now, my husband has been extremely tolerant toward my Clay love, and I try my best to keep my spending in check and to not go "too" overboard (2 concerts instead of 10, for example -- and yes, I've told him that I know people who've seen Clay way more than I have). But today, I get an email back from him....there's lots of things that we've talked about doing to our house, and the list keeps getting bigger. Plus, we are serious about taking a long vacation in November 2008 to Disney World (another "not cheap" vacation). So, needless to say, he's trying to convince me to save money and not go. Thing is, I think he's RIGHT -- I don't NEED to see Clay, but I really, really WANT to see Clay. Big difference there. And some of the house things could come back to haunt us big time if they aren't done soon (such as a roof).

I'm bummed, really bummed. I don't know what to do.

:cry4:

Can I just follow Jenna around and say "WORD" every few minutes or so? Fantastic post.

Meanwhile....

...I mentioned to my husband again today that I'd really like to go to NYC to see the play. Now, my husband has been extremely tolerant toward my Clay love, and I try my best to keep my spending in check and to not go "too" overboard (2 concerts instead of 10, for example -- and yes, I've told him that I know people who've seen Clay way more than I have). But today, I get an email back from him....there's lots of things that we've talked about doing to our house, and the list keeps getting bigger. Plus, we are serious about taking a long vacation in November 2008 to Disney World (another "not cheap" vacation). So, needless to say, he's trying to convince me to save money and not go. Thing is, I think he's RIGHT -- I don't NEED to see Clay, but I really, really WANT to see Clay. Big difference there. And some of the house things could come back to haunt us big time if they aren't done soon (such as a roof).

I'm bummed, really bummed. I don't know what to do.

:cry4:

I'd ask, what's the difference between needing to go to Disney World and wanting to? And that Disney World will be there year after year - this is only gonna happen once.

ldyjocelyn, it is tough, isn't it? (((ldyjocelyn)))

I'd love to see Spamalot, but I look at the costs, and realistically, I really can't justify it for myself at this moment. It's possible things might work out next year, but I don't feel I'm in a position to commit funds right now. We just went on a nice vacation last week, and Christmas is coming up soon. Right now, I'm just hoping that work will take me to NY next spring.

I hope you can go, but don't feel you are the only one who can't make it. These boards make it hard to resist joining the fun, but you have to do what's best for you and your family. Perhaps you could wait until next year to decide whether to go or not. With all the performances, I think you'll find a ticket if you need one at the last minute.

Due to a stupid move on my part, I am the proud owner of an extra pair of tickets to Clay's Christmas concert in Albany. They are great seats - LC Row GG, but I can't be in two places at once, try as I will. If anyone needs desires some tickets at cost, please PM me.

As I type this my p-in-C is nailing down the Spamalot tickets. Can I EEEEE now?

I'd ask, what's the difference between needing to go to Disney World and wanting to? And that Disney World will be there year after year - this is only gonna happen once.
That's what I was thinking....I mean, does your hubby have ANY desire to go to NYC generally? Is there a way that doing a NYC vacation INSTEAD of a Disneyland vacation could happen and therefore make both of you happy? Worth a discuss, maybe?

Gibby, babe...you KNOW I feel your pain. :cryingwlaughter:

aikim...good LORD, woman! I guess you're just a gal who can't say no, huh? :lilredani::naughtywag: You were a busy little bee there for six years or so...whoa, mama! :jaw:

As for Albany tix? :unsure:Uh....lilyshine...psst... :ninja: when is THAT concert? I'm always looking for ways to combine a concert trip with a work trip so that the concert ticket is the main expenditure....heh...

(heh.... :blush: there's that 'heh' word again..... :imgtongue: )