# 19: Clay Aiken: glorious voice, excellent comic actor, master of character and man in tights!

ldyjocelyn

Next thread title poll  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the next main thread title

• Clay is just so frickin' cute! Cute, cute, cute!
    • Clay Aiken, star of stage, screen, television and our hearts
    • He's just a gorgeous piece of manhood
    • Our man for all seasons and so many reasons
    • I am looking forward to every beautiful, funny, cheese-a-licious thing he throws my way this Christmas.
    • Looking forward to our Christmas romp in the snow with our Boyfriend!
    • GAHHHHH A main course of sexy, considerate, cute, hot, humble, witty, wise (& wise-ass) Clay for dinner, and then a helping of Teacher Clay for dessert. Life is good!
    • "What do you like?" Clay asks the little girl Sierra. And she said "I like you" She has good taste.
    • He has always been all that he is now, which is much more than he has often been given credit for, and even less than he is yet to become.
    • I think the world will always need Clay Aiken more than Clay Aiken needs the world. He is a realist; a survivor, and a star no matter how badly someone cuts his hair.
    • Was he beginning to get a clue that life would never be the same?
    • I am looking forward to every beautiful, funny, cheese-a-licious thing he throws my way this Christmas.
    • "Seriously, if I get any more excited about Clay being in Spamalot, I may spontaneously combust!"
    • "Spam me, baby!"

cha cha trusty, I'm very glad to hear you are okay physically. Don't forget to take care of your whole self though. Experiences like that can be pretty unnerving. I was very lucky to walk away with no injuries from my totalled car this June after a rather devastating highway collision with a huge buck; complete with a rack of antlers.

Sometimes life throws up these unexpected stop signs that just give us time to pause, take stock, and shift one's perspective a bit.

Muskifest, I think the opportunity to experience the larger world is one of the best opportunities we can offer our children. IMO, it's worth every penny, and can teach them things we as parents, don't often have the resources to offer them.

:hugs-1: to ldyjocelyn, luckiest1, and kareneh?

"Spam me, baby!"

And yet another the English language's formerly proper nouns becomes a potentially smutty descriptive verb at the disposal of the claynation. :lol2:

............. when all Clay broke loose.

:cryingwlaughter: I hadn't ever heard this expression before, but gosh that's so appropriate! Describes yesterday perfectly!

Feminine Looking Males

The Clay description: Petite with blond hair and blue eyes. See, I'm torn on things like this.

Well, no matter what they have to say about him, he sure is in some good company. Law, Bloom, Depp? Holy crap! That was like an orgy of prettiness!

Yes, I'm able to go see Clay when I want to now, but what I wouldn't give to not go to concerts because the reason for not going still existed.

ldyj and others: Clay is meant to make memories for others. He'll be around a long time---I'm sure of it---to make plenty for you, too. Meanwhile, make some memories of your own with the people you love. Clay'll be waiting for you with or without tights on. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I just quoted these so that I can easily find them again when I'm feeling sorry for myself and need to re-read them. Such wonderful sentiments. And I'm so amazed, muski that you reined in the smut. Welll, except for that reference to tights. Personally I hope he'll be waiting with the tights off......saves time. :whistling-1:

thanks for all the :hugs-1:

checking back in after being asleep for about the past 4 hours. If I can stay awake long enough I'm gonna watch some tv! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

............. when all Clay broke loose.

That's what it felt like when I arrived home and checked in late Tuesday! I was in the process of buying Spamalot tix, when I decided I'd better buy plane tix to SF to see our daughter first. So I cancelled it and haven't got any Spam tix yet but we are going to SF on the 8th for 4 days. I hope I can get together with the eSFP while I'm there! Let's make some plans! :partytime2: :04:

Just found out Mercury is in retrograde, so everyone be careful out there!! :polon:

but what I wouldn't give to not go to concerts because the reason for not going still existed.
How true and how wonderful that you savor the richness of that time when you had "the reason" for not going.

cha cha trusty, so glad to read that you came through relatively unscathed. I always liked the reference Clay made in one liner note of being glad every morning when your feet touch the floor. Today is truly a day to count your blessings.

Yoo hoo Couchie!!!!!!!!!!11

SLC has uploaded IWTKWLI from Gilford and the sound is good.

oh cool, I'll check it out!!

Just catching up there's been so much to read these days with all the wonderful news!! I wanted to chime in regarding those who feel bad because they can't attend concerts, Broadway etc do to whatever reason.

NCgran thanks so much for sharing. :F_05BL17blowkiss: I'll try to remember the next time something comes up that I can't do for whatever reason.

So the family has settled on a date for our family vacation -- last week in August of 2008... so surely that's when the album will be released. You heard it here first.

CHA CHA... so sorry about your accident. Glad you're ok... don't be surprised if you feel it more tomorrow. Ooh Cha Cha is coming to the bay area...we must plan a get together!!

KarenEh! BWAH... I changed my name from couchtomato to couch tomato because of Clay. ahemmm but as I recall I got a lecture about not letting some man define me. Where's YOUR speech. Seems like everybody is pretty whipped this week.

:cryingwlaughter:

ldyj and others: Clay is meant to make memories for others. He'll be around a long time---I'm sure of it---to make plenty for you, too. Meanwhile, make some memories of your own with the people you love. Clay'll be waiting for you with or without tights on. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Wise woman. Clay has done so much in just a few years. It's just impossible to go to it all. The good part is there is a community to share all the details. And there will always be that next thing.

So the family has settled on a date for our family vacation -- last week in August of 2008... so surely that's when the album will be released. You heard it here first.

Thanks for the heads-up. Good to know.

:cryingwlaughter:

---

{{{ncgran}}}

Indeed. Life is all about perspective.

---

eta ...

perma

know what I mean?

I do. :wub:

I haven't had a chance to post again since the news broke about Clay in Spamalot. For me, Tuesday was just a great, great day.

I wanted to say thanks for all the welcomes. jmh123, I should have recognized you as the Christine Lavin fan. I didn't know your SN over here, but that should have been the tip-off. I guess there are still only the 2 of us. Yes, I did get to see her here in Pasadena, thanks to Clay. The LTS sort-of pre-publication press release had a quote from him about the prevalence of avocado on everything out here, and it reminded me of Christine's song "Santa Monica Pier". I went to her website to check the lyrics, and saw she was going to be here the NEXT NIGHT!! I couldn't believe it!!! She almost never tours out West (like someone else I could name), so that was a real moment of serendipity. The show was great.

keeping faith, I do remember you from WPB. Standing outside (as near the cooling breeze from the fountain as possible) waiting for our handshakes. I think that conversation may have been my first clue that FCA had a message board!! Sometimes I am S-L-O-W.

And, of course, Couch Tomato and I grin widely at each other each time we see each other. We were a little early to that Sacramento AI pre-party. She looked at my DH and I very suspiciously, but was willing to ask us if we were "Prock". I almost didn't get it, since I always pronounced it to myself Pro-Cee, but we managed to make a "connection" anyway. Who could possibly have imagined all the places we would be running into each other over the last 4 years? Amazing.

So, I personally am ecstatic about the whole Spamalot dealy. Thanks to good friends, I have plans to be there cheering for Clay on his opening weekend, and maybe another trip closer to the end of the run. I’m really excited that Clay is getting this amazing opportunity to branch out, and as they used to say on Monty Python…..”do something completely different”.

Monty Python is SO quirky. LOVED it back in the day. It was different from anything else at the time, and different from other British humor as well, IMHO. I can’t stand Benny Hill, so one size definitely doesn’t fit all. My 25 year old son discovered MP some years back and has lots of their stuff on tape and DVD. His favorite is the parrot sketch, whereas I was always partial to the flying sheep. All the men in my life really enjoy Monty Python, so I think it’s yet another chance to give a whole new audience a look at the funny side of Clay. I think he’ll make the most of it.

Clay has stated the desire many times to stretch and do other things in the entertainment business. Anyone else remember when he was asked what kind of career he would like to have and he said he would like to have one like Reba McIntyre. He didn’t mean he wanted to be a country singer. Reba has real longevity and a lot of respect. She’s recorded LOTS of CDs, has successful regular tours, has had a hand in production, had a critically acclaimed run in “Annie Get Your Gun” on Broadway, and has had a TV show that bears her name for several years now. And yet, she had a number one album last month, and was all over TV and the media promoting it. She’s up for several awards for that album already, IIRC. How many years has she been in the business? I’d be ecstatic if Clay were able to have that kind of success.

Clay has said he’d love to something else with TV, or to do a movie if one were offered. Let us not forget that Mike Nichols has been nominated numerous times and has won both Academy Awards for films and Emmy’s for TV as well as his Tony awards for Broadway. To have him give Clay such a wonderful critique in the press release just means the world to me, and I’m sure Clay as well. And I love Eric Idle’s quote even more, since writers can be notably picky, stating that he has been a big fan from the very beginning with video proof available of he and his daughter holding up a sign for Clay way back on AI2.

Did I mention that I’m thrilled for Clay? Absolutely beyond thrilled.

I want to be sure to give my heartfelt thanks to aikim for the obvious time and care she took to craft that amazing post. It touched on all the things that honor the affection we have for Clay and many fan's hopes for his success and happiness....and for us to let him find his own path to those things. It obviously really touched him, and spurred him to reach out to the fans on such a happy day. Thank you for expressing the thoughts of so many, and I am thrilled for you that Clay read it and acknowledged what it meant to him. That is really, really special.

Clay has always seemed to have a difficult time accepting the applause and love of the fans. He generally doesn't do encores....he will motion to us to sit down and stop applauding.....he will rarely just stand there and "bask" in our response.

Sometimes, he will let us go on a bit longer than usual. And very, very rarely, he will let us know that it means something special to him. Those moments are really precious, IMHO....know what I mean?

204967201-L.jpg

Muski, I loved your story about your daughter and her upcoming trip. My son spent his junior year of college in Japan. I couldn't see how we were going to possibly pull that off, and truthfully it was a strain on our finances that we never completely rebounded from. BUT, it made such a difference. He had always had such a fascination with Japan, and had found a way to take a college Japanese class while he was in High School, and did well with it. He researched the program that he went on, and put everything together (except the money, of course) on his own. There was supposed to be one other student from his college, but they ended up not going, so he was really on his own.

Well, he just thrived there. Loved the school, the classes, the environment, and made friends from all over the world. He learned to see himself differently there...no longer the uncool outsider that he felt like here. He met someone wonderful in Japan, and this year, 4 years later, they got married in Tokyo. It was a civil proceeding to get started on securing her Visa. Next month both families will meet in Hawaii for their wedding ceremony.

I'm sure your much younger daughter is not going to find her soulmate there, but I'm sure the experience will enrich and change her life forever.

One of these days I'll have to figure out these emoticon thingys. But not today.

Hey guys,

Did someone post the playbill Scene Breakdown for Spamalot the other day? Scenes with the characters in the scenes?

Could someone direct me to that? And would it be okay if I shared it?

:)

I am not sure if this is what you are referring to, but I posted a bunch of scenes that I transcribed from my Spamalot program (Toronto location). I only included the ones with Sir Robin on stage. The post can be found here. Feel free to copy and paste elsewhere.

Welcome! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

goldarngirl and I have uploaded all of the new montage series, JBT Atlantic City (9/01) to our site. Please remember to use a download manager if you have one, because our servers are not dedicated and tend to stop and start for these large files. They should be up at CV, CH and CU shortly, as well, under "Montages_Tributes" and then "goldarngirl".

muski, I TOTALLY forgot to thank you for the story about your daughter. I can just imagine her face, and then imagine you watching her face. She'll have a fantastic time, and the memories of a lifetime!

That TV Guide Canada thing cracked me up!! Broody actor! Heh.

perma, don't worry about figuring out the emoticon thingies. I hardly ever use them either! Thanks for the pretty picture.

jmh, good find on those other pictures too. Yum.

I don't have a lot to say tonight....for some reason. Count your lucky stars!

EEEEEEEE! New montages! I'll get those tomorrow night.

luckiest and goldarngirl... THANKS!!! Your montages are so enjoyed!!!

Cha cha... I was in a bad auto accident 2 plus years ago. My neck and shoulders were the most injured. Chiropractic helped a lot, but massage REALLY helped. Her insurance should pay for all medical treatment, even massage, if it is perscibed by a personal injury doctor. Course, that's if you live in the U.S. Canada has a different system, I'm sure. Good luck and yes, pamper yourself for awhile. That was a real shock physically AND emotionally! {{{cha cha}}}

Well, at least we know what Clay will be doing in the bus after each CITH show... learning lines and making his bus mates read lines with him... :cryingwlaughter:

I just listened to the spamalot soundtrack and it is soooo hilarious!!!

I just watched three clips from you tube. I don;t want to watch it all cos I want to see how Clay does the character without getting David Hyde Pierce's version ingrained in my mind.

I am wondering if they will make changes to take advantage of clay's voice. I am also amazed at the amount of dance or big production numbers there seem to be. I think CLay will be up to it though. But I really enjoyed the songs...nit just the funny lyrics but great old fashioned melodies.

I sure hope the clack gatherers won;t feel pressured to take clack and compromise their own enjoyment...but somehow...I think we will get some.

**sneaks in..looks around furtively**

A little birdie told me that this was where lots of groovy people were hanging out. **waves to Caro** Turns out it's true! Who knew? (Apparently not me!)

Hi everyone, I'll try not to annoy y'all too much.

Psssst! <small voice>Clay answered meeeeeee tooooo! </sv>

Oh, and this?

:DoClay:

LOVE this. Bwah!

**sneaks out again**

Hey Muski,

Loved the post about your daughter and her trip, my son went to Japan last year with his school and he loved it.

Also loved Cottons post about making memories for your family. This sums up my attitude to travel-I would rather watch my pennies day to day and spend on trips etc because you never know what is going to happen and the kids are, seemingly, babies one minute and almost grown the next.

( Can you tell that my oldest is becoming a teenager next week? :cry4: )

Oooooh....new people! Welcome Karma and ausdon. I'm the local nocturnal creature. I guess I should offer up something to the goddess of fresh meat....whoever the heifer that it is....

Lordy, the brain sure plays some tricks on a person in the middle of the night!

Could be the brownies, I suppose.

A humble offering to help keep the sardines in Sardinia, where they belong.

210076810-M.jpg

ZENA!!!!!!!! You crack me up!! (She's the other nocturnal one around here.)

Together we might get into mischief.....but we're really very nice people. Aren't we Zena, honey? Now, put down that sword and get to bed!!

:goodnight:

Okay, I can't go quite yet. This was post 188 by member 888. I'm going to have a little toast first in celebration. Then I'm going to bed.

OK, this is strange for me (because I'm not usually the type to sit and watch things on YouTube), but I was on a roll this morning, and found some great, Spamalot related stuff. Enjoy!

Original Monty Python Spam skit:

Original Brave Sir Robin sequence (played by Eric Idle), from the movie Monty Python and the Holy Grail:

Spamalot: The Animated Musical - You Won't Succeed On Broadway (really cute!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wFfmmQZd7M&NR=1

Original Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Killer Rabbit scene (including Brother Maynard):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqD0RufWwYw

Silly Lego version of the same:

Just for fun, one of my old favourites from Monty Python (not Spamalot related) - the Dead Parrot Sketch:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GipFyAsYK1M

And with that, I hit my 1500th post! Wheeeeeeeeeeee!

I MUST get to be, but has ths been posted?

If so, I'm sorry - I get so behind somerimes!

If not - this is a video of David Hyde Pierce doing one VERY funny scene from Spamalot.

In a couple of months - this will be Clay!! :cryingwlaughter:

THIS WILL SOON BE CLAY!

Cannot wait!!!

Yup saw that earlier...but just watched the first part...and listened to the song. My daughter is quite the fan of the animated version.

**sneaks in..looks around furtively**

A little birdie told me that this was where lots of groovy people were hanging out. **waves to Caro** Turns out it's true! Who knew? (Apparently not me!)

Hi everyone, I'll try not to annoy y'all too much.

Psssst! <small voice>Clay answered meeeeeee tooooo! </sv>

Oh, and this?

:DoClay:

LOVE this. Bwah!

**sneaks out again**

Hey Muski,

Loved the post about your daughter and her trip, my son went to Japan last year with his school and he loved it.

Also loved Cottons post about making memories for your family. This sums up my attitude to travel-I would rather watch my pennies day to day and spend on trips etc because you never know what is going to happen and the kids are, seemingly, babies one minute and almost grown the next.

( Can you tell that my oldest is becoming a teenager next week? :cry4: )

Welcome to main Karma and Ausdon...hope you can post more.

Good morning from beautiful downtown Corner Brook, Newfoundland! Where the water main to the hotel is burst, and it's supposed to snow tomorrow! I'm getting out of town today, thank goodness. :lol:

Actually, Corner Brook really is beautiful, but this has been quite the stay.

Anywhooo....

Interesting to see the conversations about children in SE Asia. My youngest son is just completing a 2-month trip (tourist, not business) to Korea, Thailand, Viet Nam, Cambodia and Hong Kong. He and his girlfriend have a friend currently teaching English in Korea, and decided to take advantage of that to see as much as they could of the area. He's been saving for years, as it's someplace he's always wanted to visit.

I've just gotten 4 or 5 emails as he was able to, from wherever he was at the time; he is coming to ON to visit me next month and I'm dying to see pictures and talk to him about the experience. It sounds like it's been quite an experience. They did not, for the most part, do regular tourist stuff. I believe they booked some things with an adventure specialist, and as much as you're able to in some of these countries, went out on their own.

He says it's been life-changing.

He is now 32, but at age 18 went to Europe with a high school friend who dumped him in Holland after one week and came home (he was too homesick to go on). Sean continued for another month, traveling alone to Switzerland, Germany and Italy. As far as I know, no bailbondsmen were hurt in the process, and noone was killed. I think he has his Mom's itchy feet!

I am STILL so excited about Spamalot, and so proud of our guy! It's been a real joy, I must say, to be on a board which isn't into buzzkill at the first hint of something good happening for him.

:F_05BL17blowkiss: