#21: "Surprisingly, the ice did not melt."

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• Clay really is a smorgasbord of yummy goodness. Can I have the drumstick, please?
    • He loved his seconddom, and his seconddom loved him back.
    • I want to be Clay Aiken when I grow up.
    • In this concert's solemn setting, he IS joy.
    • Clay's voice is his niche.
    • Which brings us to Clay Aiken, as most good conversations should.
    • And two weeks ago, I didn't know who Clay Aiken was
    • Ahhhh.....like the first little snowflakes of the season, the first little lip bites of the holiday concerts are just as beautiful...
    • He is who he is and that is what the world gets.. the real Clay.
    • My fangirly is in full blush, yo!
    • He has thrown down a gauntlet, and dared us to pick it up.
    • Sigh, guh, thud, swoon, wonderstruck, overwhelmed, floored, astounded!

Random shhstuff...

I recall being pooh-poohed when I questioned putting the videos of the skating event out there (whether on YouTube or the vaults) prior to the airing. We have a connekshun :imgtongue: As far as the AIW 'note' goes - well a pox on anybody who put it up there, because fan or no, it could only be done for one reason. That said, I think way too much is made of it. I read words (not here) like 'disaster' and 'debacle', and tales of crying for days and hiding under the bed. He missed a note. He didn't kill someone, or fall down drunk on the stage, or smack somebody upside the head with a recently-flashed camera. He missed a note.

I hate reading ugly comments about Clay, anywhere, anytime, in any context. As dumb/questionable/inexplicable as the reasons may be, they hurt me just as if they were being uttered about a 'real' friend. Hatesssssssssssss. Hate. But Clay isn't alone in the virtual world when it comes to uglinesss on the 'net. Occasionally, I'll click on the comments section of an article or a youtube (not Clay related) and there is almost never a time when the sickos of the world don't have something nasty to say. Remember the little girl who sang so sweetly on Britain's Got Talent (her youtube made the rounds here)?? Just go read the comments on THAT video if you want to see how low some of these 'people' are. Mind bogglng. Sure, Clay gets more than his share of it. And I don't know how many others have the legion of pathetic 'people' dedicated to bashing him where and whenever possible. But that is the ugly side of the world we live in. I just have to hope that most people (who aren't specifically looking for the nasty) will react how I do when I read those comments about other things now. With a shake of the head and a sigh (and more than a grain of salt).

I wonder if his wearing of the glasses is somehow related to the camera flashing? Maybe they afford his eyes a little protection? Maybe it hurts less? I know that for the short time I was able to tolerate lenses (prior to Lasik), bright lights really bothered me. Dunno a thing - just speculating.

I think this is pretty complimentary coming from Simon: (This is from CV)

I haven't seen this posted from the Clayboard. If I missed it I will delete.

December GQ magazine (Bill Clinton on front) - Simon Cowell interviewed. Interviewer threw out names for him to comment on. Clay: " A classic example of somebody who was incredibly aware of the process; what you say, how you act. He was on the internet, I think, just about every hour, on every kind of poll available, knowing he was doing well. During the results show, they'd come to him, he'd put his hands together and look up and ask heaven, knowing full well he's going to sail through".

I do think there is a tendency in the fandom for some to project their feelings on to Clay...Because fan A is feeling sad, depressed, etc. about something whether it be ATDW promotion, RCA, gnatty stuff...than Clay must be feeling that too. I think Clay is a lot stronger than some give him credit for...I am sure he has gotten pretty angry about stuff in the past couple of years, but I don't think he obsesses over it or let's it take over his life...I think he is very good at picking his battles and has probably learned the fine art of compromise; especially with RCA.

Kim

bwah love that comment from Simon.

Anyway, I agree, it's ugly out there period. Not just for Clay..for just about anything. I can't even go read an article on Private Practice without all the Greys Anatomy fans coming out in force to bash it in the comments. It's like DUDE, your show has Gizzie, take a chill pill and relax. Everything is a damn competition. Read this extensive post in the Taylor thread at TWoP detailing every move Taylor and his fans have made. But I have more respect for fans just following their heart and having fun than I do for an obvious hater out to ridiucle others and gloat.

I agree about the projecting. Even the whole upcoming album. He cracks me up... he wants good songs. It's simple. And if THAT happens, then the album will be great. He can simplify things to the core.

Clazorback, not all the unflattering videos are put up by fans - a lot of haters have accounts andd taht is why I would like to see clackgoddesses enforce that they and they alone have the right to put up the video on youtube. I know taht some unsavory characters are putting stuff up now, and who cares if it is good stuff, they are making money off of Clay's show by linking their blogs to it.

The only way to stop it , is not to distribute it to the fans and you would have to take it up with video gatherers. Some do not like to be told what to share and what not to share.

That's true Playbiller. There are a few "Haters" who get even with some of his OTT fans, who continue to engage them and piss them off. They take their revenge out on Clay. But, there are a lot of the videos, that some could consider unflattering, put up by fans. In fact most of the videos are put up by fans, IMHO, and it is common knowledge in the fandom that one person even sells her clack videos to fans.

clayzor, here's what he said (I know you said you already read it, but I didn't see it here):

QUOTE("nancy3133 at CB"): I asked him about how he felt about the Video taping of his shows and then posting it on You Tube. He said He doesn't mind the videotaping of HIS Shows he says that HE OWNS HIS shows. and although he is not sure about the content of the shows. like the Copyright on the songs he is singing in the show. He said that he really didn't care much about that since they won't be sueing him anyway. He asked that if you are putting stuff on You Tube to NOT put any of his mistakes on You tube. and then he said to I think Mary Remember that time last year when I didn't hit that note and it was all over You Tube.

On the other end of that he said if he is taping a tv show like the NBC Skating on Ice. He thinks it is very WRONG to put anything like that on You tube. He said he doesn't own that show and is only a performer and to post it on you tube is VERY RUDE

I don't think anyone asked about the cameras at the shows but he took the opportunity to address that as welll.

Then he discussed the camera policy and he said he doesn't care at all about cameras He said HE Hates the flash and that is the only thing he feels strongly about. He said it effects the people on stage and the lighting. He did say it was great when they were putting tape over the flashes and then said He was going to blog about this but didn't want to be mean so asked us to pass the word. There is also a light on the camera he said it was the Red Eye light He asked to also put tape over that as well. He said that is distracting I said that this venue was Not allowing cameras. and he said it was a venue policy. I told him I had been to the venue before and they allow cameras if the artist does. He and Mary explained that what happens is That They Clay's people will allow cameras, however they DO NOT WANT Flashes. IF the venue does not want to deal with flashes then the venue will institute the no Camera policy He did say if people use flashes they SHOULD be asked to leave and he is very okay with that

I disagree about whether he cares about his "funny faces" or whatnot. He is who he is and he seems quite comfortable expressing himself in a myriad of ways. Including his "funny" side. I don't think he was setting the stage for a more complex message. I just think he wants people to think about his shows vs. other shows (i.e., NBC's skating special) and broadcasting an obvious fuck-up.

I personally don't think there are ANY unflattering videos of Clay... except that AIW one, so I guess that's all subjective anyway. Even "the fall" one seemed ok TO ME because it just showed him having a good sense of humor about life, but I can see if he said, now, don't be putting that one up, that I probably wouldn't.

And "hi" by the way... I've missed you. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Thanks for posting that YSRN...........I'm glad this person came out and clarified her account of what Clay said. I still believe, though, that Clay will eventually try to put a stop to the clack gathering. I could be wrong but I feel he will. Maybe not this tour or next, but I think he will. I have been reading that several venues are discounting tickets and I even got an email from OFC stating that if you still want tickets they are asking venues to turn loose of some of the unsold or unused closer seats for the fans to buy. Now I'm not saying that this is due to his clack being on YouTube, or clack in general, but it sure could be a part of the reason sales are down. That is if sales are down. I've been reading that they are in several places.

The part I bolded is what I was trying to say about well meaning fans who put unflattering things on YouTube. :cryingwlaughter: They love Clay and don't consider anything, or any mistake he makes, as unflattering. They think they are helping to promote him. They are blinded by their love Hee, and can't always look at things objectively. :F_05BL17blowkiss: Not you of course..............LOL Thanks for missing me. I miss you too, and miss posting more.

Cindilu I remember you talking about the skating show. You were right, weren't you? Couchie, there are loonies everywhere. Every celebrity has them. I wouldn't want to spend my entire fandom trying to out them and give them more attention than they deserve. That's for sure. Time to fix dinner. Later

COOL NEWS!!! SuzyP at Broads nominated Clay for Time's Person of the Year, and his photo was displayed in Times Square NYC today!!!

Web Cam shots:

http://206.188.22.18/default.aspx?detail_id=295

http://206.188.22.18/default.aspx?detail_id=300

http://206.188.22.18/default.aspx?detail_id=294

http://206.188.22.18/default.aspx?detail_id=291

the billboards:

time1.jpg

time2.jpg

time3.jpg

time4.jpg

CONGRATS SUZYP! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

(I wonder if anyone else nominated him???)

Honestly, the man has the most dangerously subtle eyelids I have ever seen. Yes, he often employs them with frankly seductive skill...but when he caresses with them...ah...it's a mix of tender and intense. That slow blink, those drifting lashes, the sidelong glance. All seemingly gentle, soft, soothing, safe...until he drops his chin and openly looks...and the unwary are suddenly trapped by a stunning direct gaze. Inviting. Deadly. Those eyelids. Those eyes. And then...he smiles.

:unsure::huh:

muski looks around and then checks her journal to confirm the last date she posted a story....eeks! and then rereads 00lsee's beautifully erotic and oh-so-true description of the Muse/Man in action....checks her watch and realizes that it's time for yet another appointment in this whirlwind week of business travel and therefore there is NO time to try to write any good stuff herself...worries about her sagging Clorn career..... :blink:

...then smiles and wishes 00lsee great success in her future clorn-writing career! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

whoa mama. :Thud:

PS. New Orleans RAWKS, y'all! :clap:

I don't think Clay will ever put a stop to clack. It may not always be free flowing but I'd be very surprised to see a no clack policy hammered home and enforced. I'm sure Clay's words will be taken to heart by the clack dealers. I didn't think there would be much a problem with the skating clack but apparantly I was wrong on that. So he kinda gave us guidelines to follow and I'm sure we will.

I'm not one to get all caught up in the numbers anymore. As long as my show isn't cancelled I'm good. I will say this year's tour schedule is not that great. If my company didn't virtually shut down for 2 weeks at the end of December really don't see how I could have made ANY shows. I usually look for weekends or a frid/sat/sun show and then of course look at distances and there just wasn't much there to work with. As for the not just us crowd..can't worry about them. It's up to Team Clay to promote the tour in time for people to buy tickets as the entertainment dollars are probably watched closely during this time of year.

I understand how Simon can have that opinion, he is so cynical...but I do believe he is wrong in thinking Clay knew he was safe. Clay is smart...all the polls and dial idol can never be 100% accurate. ...Clay knows those internet polls just get a small fraction of the viewing public. But I really think Simon simply does not understand Clay at all.

I have wondered clayzor if a lot of these AOL previews of CDs actually hurt sales. The fans that will buy an artists product do not need a sneak peak. But several times..I have been turned off by a full album that had one or two songs I liked. So I do not buy the CD...I just dl it.

When it comes to you tube and clack...as much as clack sells tickets, I also think that as a fandom we are getting more and more used to them that I can see some fans may have been less motivated to see a show since they know clack is available...Its a really huge dilemma.

As someone that only saw 5 concerts in my life...that usually miss most tours because of financial and familial considerations...I shudder at the thought of clack not being available...so I will pray that it will never truly be disallowed.

When it comes to unflattering videos...I would say those are the ones where his voice cracks, he falls down or if he has a wardrobe malfunction...I really hesitate to include any funny faces or just Clay being silly. That is part of Clay's persona that I believe we all should embrace. Some may not like it...but I do believe this is the way he can reach those stubborn male audience.

I do think there is a tendency in the fandom for some to project their feelings on to Clay...Because fan A is feeling sad, depressed, etc. about something whether it be ATDW promotion, RCA, gnatty stuff...than Clay must be feeling that too. I think Clay is a lot stronger than some give him credit for...I am sure he has gotten pretty angry about stuff in the past couple of years, but I don't think he obsesses over it or let's it take over his life...I think he is very good at picking his battles and has probably learned the fine art of compromise; especially with RCA.

I agree. I don't think he is half as obsessed by the minutiae of his career than his fans are.

RE: Clack. My personal take is that while he doesn't mind fans taking videos, he does object to the distribution of unflattering images. And I can't blame him. Who wants to see video of themselves making a mistake? Most of us wouldn't put up embarrassing footage of ourselves online. Why should we put it up of him?

When that AIW first got attention, many defended its distribution on the grounds that, "I won't let haters ruin my fandom." To me, what it really came down to was a fear that Clack would be "censored," that fewer videos would be available as a result of excess caution. Clack is called "clack" for a reason. It's seriously addictive, and people will do anything to get it. Quite frankly, there seems to be a feeling by some that there is this almost fundamental right to Clack, and that nothing--not copyright laws, not union rules, not negative media, not even Clay himself--should interfere with a fan's ability to see video of everything he does in a public setting.

However, in today's internet world, I do think there is a need to at least ask the question, "Is it in Clay's best interest for this clack to be available?" 99.9% of the time, the answer's probably "yes." But there may be times when it's not, and I believe that we, as fans, have to recognize that our appetite for "clack" should not reign supreme.

I do believe that most clack-gatherers and vault keepers have exercised appropriate discretion. I also think that the AIW situation created a stronger awareness of the potential consequences of unchecked clack distribution. Hopefully, lessons have been learned.

And personally, I don't think he will shut down clack -- unless he gets burned by fan footage too many times. If fans can't be responsible about how they distribute his image, he may find it necessary to take it out of their hands.

However, in today's internet world, I do think there is a need to at least ask the question, "Is it in Clay's best interest for this clack to be available?" 99.9% of the time, the answer's probably "yes." But there may be times when it's not, and I believe that we, as fans, have to recognize that our appetite for "clack" should not reign supreme.

I do believe that most clack-gatherers and vault keepers have exercised appropriate discretion. I also think that the AIW situation created a stronger awareness of the potential consequences of unchecked clack distribution. Hopefully, lessons have been learned.

And personally, I don't think he will shut down clack -- unless he gets burned by fan footage too many times. If fans can't be responsible about how they distribute his image, he may find it necessary to take it out of their hands.

WORD! (as usual) to JennaZ...

Just changing clothes (again) and getting ready for yet another blah blah networking thingy while listening to Clay sing to me on my computer iTunes---All Is Well, indeed.....sigh.

Divayenta, your clackoperetta is hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Chachatrusty, thanks for capturing and posting that.

jmh... I'll second that!!! So, great DIVA. Any chance we could get the words. I couldn't understand everything and want to.

I will third that! I would love the words; is the right term for that "the libretto"? I also remember you writing in your Christmas story that you are the granddaughter of an opera singer. I think you have grandma's genes! That was wonderfully funny! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I read one interview where Clay said in the first week, they always had one bad night. He said last night was it. What night was he talking about? I wonder what he considered a bad night

I believe Clay was referring to South Bend, but I am puzzled because I don't remember anything remarkable about that show.

I do think there is a tendency in the fandom for some to project their feelings on to Clay...Because fan A is feeling sad, depressed, etc. about something whether it be ATDW promotion, RCA, gnatty stuff...than Clay must be feeling that too.

YES. I often think the same thing when I read various posts; that people are projecting their personal feelings upon Clay. I am sure I do the same (but it's not as easy to discern as when I see others do it!).

Re Clack ... I think the clack goddesses should be their own censors and not put up unflattering videos, or ones where his voice cracks. I'm sure most of them already do this, but a few will put up any and everything, even if its unflattering. I don't see any reason for that at all. Clay has a cavalier attitude in public about clack probably because there is little or nothing that can be done about it. Check out just about any artist you can think of, and they have videos all over YouTube. It's pretty universal, and goes back for years now. It's a genie out of the bottle, IMO, and best to work with it and try to control the quality as much as possible.

Re Attendance at Christmas Concerts ... Times aren't easy for the 98 percenters, which includes me, and with the Christmas dollar being stretched even tighter with the high price of food and gasoline (milk, bread, eggs, etc. have gone through the roof lately), and then presents and decorations, et al., Christmas concerts have to be a tough sell. That Clay draws the numbers he does is pretty impressive. A lot of touring artists without the foundation of a huge fanbase are floundering big time, and most wouldn't attempt a Christmas tour.

The thing with clack, for me, is this...it becomes a "it's all about meeeeee" thing for some people. I know not everyone gets to go to a concert...I understand that and appreciate the clackgatherers for their patience and time to video and take pictures. When it comes to people whining (imho and no one here) about taking clack of Spamalot...I kind of have a serious problem with that.

I know, in some sense, it's all illegal but the Spamalot filming really bothers me.

The thing with clack, for me, is this...it becomes a "it's all about meeeeee" thing for some people. I know not everyone gets to go to a concert...I understand that and appreciate the clackgatherers for their patience and time to video and take pictures. When it comes to people whining (imho and no one here) about taking clack of Spamalot...I kind of have a serious problem with that.

I know, in some sense, it's all illegal but the Spamalot filming really bothers me.

yeah that will really be sticky...although that may be the only way I see it...it really may hurt the show. I don;t know the answer cos I am caught by my desire to see it. I wouldn't be surprised if this is something Clay will be blogging about before Spamalot. Its the biggest problem because it is only in New York and so many fans won;t be able to see it...sigh.

But ultimately ....if this compromises Clay's ability to work with other productions...then that should seriously be considered.

I loved that ChaCha put Diva on YouTube but not happy that I am also in it! Yuck!

Today was a good day I went to Walmart and as Clay was singing to me I found 7 MCWL CDs in a Christmas display and 4 copies of that Penny Press game book that has his puzzle in it. I have some extra if anyone wants one.

It really is a tough call. I am planning to go to NYC to see Clay because Broadway is my thing....I would give up just about anything (including a kidney!) to get there to see him. For those who can't, it's like straddling a razor blade...it's gonna hurt, no matter what.

I understand people wanting to see him...I just worry about it reflecting poorly on Clay if the videographers aren't very, very careful...I dunno...we can't even video at our community theater because of having to pay an extra performance royalty.

It just scares me a bit.

The whole YouTube controversy just irks me. I wish that the videographers could control what is put up and what is not. I don't ever see Clay completely shutting clack down, but I can understand why he isn't happy about non-flattering videos being put up for public consumption.

I'm torn on the Spamalot issue.....I really would love to have clack of it, but I don't want it to hurt Clay in any way (ticket sales, future roles, etc.) I am a firm believer in "clack sells tickets", at least to the online fanbase. Very, very rarely do I read someone say they saw clack and no longer want to see the show for themselves...it's usually "I wasn't going to go but now I can't miss it!". Hee.

Oh and I see that LTS has fallen by the wayside..shall we postpone this until after the holidays/tour?

Yes please. :cryingwlaughter:

I was going to put up the 3rd & 4th chapters the day after I got home from Wichita. And then I started painting. And ... oh I dunno...I forgot? Then I thought I would do it Monday after I got home from work, but they tossed some new stuff at me this week that has taken my boring little low stress job in sort of a different direction. Hee. It's all good. I'm up for the challenge and actually shocked that they have that much confidence in me after only a month. So with all that and then the concerts going on I'm all pre-occupied on my off hours too.

I'm not caught up BTW. *g*

I will eventually write about this in my recap, but I wanted to say that I was utterly captivated by the expressions playing over Clay's face during his performance in DC.

Wherever you get your downloads (and if you have a problem, let me know), this clip is a good example of what I mean 071202_DC_IBHFC-TCS-HYAMLC_4192spooky_large.wmv Video hardly does those eyes justice, because in person, magnified by binoculars, bringing that dear face this close...he really is a lovely and remorseless killer.

Honestly, the man has the most dangerously subtle eyelids I have ever seen. Yes, he often employs them with frankly seductive skill...but when he caresses with them...ah...it's a mix of tender and intense. That slow blink, those drifting lashes, the sidelong glance. All seemingly gentle, soft, soothing, safe...until he drops his chin and openly looks...and the unwary are suddenly trapped by a stunning direct gaze. Inviting. Deadly. Those eyelids. Those eyes. And then...he smiles.

:cryingwlaughter: I have never, ever read a 'recap' that made me click over to the vault so fast!

I bet if you could figure out a way to describe the 'view new posts' function in a similar way, Couchie would never have to remind us again. :)

I've never seen anyone taking pictures during a Broadway performance, have any of you? I can't imagine they will allow the clack gatherers to do their thing but those ladies are a dedicated and talented bunch and will most likely figure out a way. :ph34r:

COOL NEWS!!! SuzyP at Broads nominated Clay for Time's Person of the Year, and his photo was displayed in Times Square NYC today!!!

Are you just teasing? Cuz anyone can add their photo to that display at that site? There are a bunch of people and their kids. B)

Regarding someone taking video of a Broadway production, does anyone know how we got the Youtube video of David Hyde Pierce as Sir Robin and all of the other Spamalot video we've been enjoying? Maybe it was taken after those actors completed their run. I've seen lots of Youtube video from Wicked also. I have no idea where those videos came from. I, for one, am praying for some kind of Clack. Living in California on a fixed income prohibits me from attending Clay's Spamalot production, even though I'd love to be there with all my heart.