#26: "Irreverent, surprisingly fearless, a total delight and a surprise!"

Ansamcw

Thread title poll  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• I'm considering running for President!
    • Ya' gotta give me somethin', honey!
    • The man's a joy magnet!

I just read this over at CV

I don't think this has been posted yet, I am way behind.

From Broadway Cares:

Dear Friends: I apologize for the careless and stupid blog that a thoughtless BC/EFA volunteer wrote after the Broadway Bears Auction on Sunday, February 17th.

The $17,000 raised from the sale of the "Sir Robin Bear" - that was signed by both David Hyde Pierce, who originated the role and by Clay, who is now having great success playing the role - is one of the highest winning bids made from any Broadway Bear. Without question, much of that success can be attributed to Clay generously signing the bear.

Our misguided blogger should know how much BC/EFA appreciates Clay's support - and I will make sure he does.

In 2004, we presented Heather Headley in concert at the New Amsterdam Theatre. Ten days before the event, Clay graciously agreed to join Heather in the duet "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" from THE LION KING. Over the weekend following the announcement over $50,000 in tickets were sold, based strictly on Clay's involvement. I was very grateful for Clay's support then, as I am most appreciative of Clay's support now that he is starring in one of Broadway's biggest hits, SPAMALOT.

I hope you will not consider this one blog entry to be in any way representative of BC/EFA's appreciation of Clay's generosity and talents or the incredible support of his fans. If I could ask you a favor, I hope you will also copy this, BC/EFA's official response, onto the various blogs to which you sent one person's unfortunate blog. It will mean alot to BC/EFA, even more to the people and organizations we assist and let the thousands who enjoy Clay's work know how much we appreciate his support. I hope we can continue to count on yours.

Sincerely,

Tom Viola

Executive Director

Please feel free to share where you see fit.

I just read this over at CH

I don't think this has been posted yet, I am way behind.

From Broadway Cares:

Dear Friends: I apologize for the careless and stupid blog that a thoughtless BC/EFA volunteer wrote after the Broadway Bears Auction on Sunday, February 17th. <snip>

I was just going to bring this over from CV.....what a classy response! Nice to see that someone understands.

:clap::clap:

KAndre tumbles into the FCA to whine, but is temporarily distracted a tall, strappin' man...

And I was forced to have my last root canal done today. And the evil Dr. A (having determined that a flopping, weeping patient is difficult to work upon) shot me chockful of anesthesia. So now one of my eyelids doesn't seem to work properly. Or if it is, I can't tell. And I have a little nubbin of a tooth that my tongue keeps wanting to mess with. And I can't get my temporary crowns until next week. And I can't get my Vicodin until after work. Dammit.

KAndre... awwww... my dentist told me once that a dose of aspirin products, then 2 hours later a dose of Iboprophin products, then 2 hours later aspirin (4 hours since last dose), then 2 hours later Iboprophin (4 hours since last dose), is equal to a pain pill when you are without one. I've used it a couple of times and it works without being sleepy or unable to operate heavy machinery! LOL

Yup this is how I see it too. The fans embarrass him because of the extra attention he gets.

I sometimes I worry that he does not connect the fans cheers and adulation to his own talent and actions. I mean I am not his mom or his family. I am not buying his cds or following his every performance or go to his concerts because of loyalty or because I want him to succeed. I go because he is a damn good singer and entertainer and is cute to boot and I am getting my money;s worth. I do think that he worries that he does not really deserve the cheers...he still does not get why we are here...

Ansa... I kinda think you are somewhat right. I do think he knows he has a good voice and I do think he knows from the laughter he gets that he is funny. He's been told why we love him (letters and gifts and printouts of Why I Love Clay threads, etc.), but not sure if he gets that his fans are cheering for him in Spamalot cause he's doing a fantastic job, not just because we are his fans, if you get what I mean.

And, I think you and others that have said the same, that the embarrasment is from being singled out in an ensemble performance when everyone on that stage has more experience than he does. What I'm not sure he gets, is that he's doing as good of job up there are any of those veterans.

ETA: That IS a classy and smart response to the unclassy and dumbass blog! YEAH!!!

I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeed XP - Elvira totally rejects Vista for upgrades (and I like playing old school Sims - my Clay Sims kicks butt!). So I'm desperately hunting up a cheap XP box - and every freakin' refurbished unit at MicroCenter has freaking VISTA on it! Damn.

eBay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeed XP - Elvira totally rejects Vista for upgrades (and I like playing old school Sims - my Clay Sims kicks butt!). So I'm desperately hunting up a cheap XP box - and every freakin' refurbished unit at MicroCenter has freaking VISTA on it! Damn.

eBay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kandre...aren;t there fixes for this online? Have you tried googling it?

liney23 wrote:

Ansa... I kinda think you are somewhat right. I do think he knows he has a good voice and I do think he knows from the laughter he gets that he is funny. He's been told why we love him (letters and gifts and printouts of Why I Love Clay threads, etc.), but not sure if he gets that his fans are cheering for him in Spamalot cause he's doing a fantastic job, not just because we are his fans, if you get what I mean.

And, I think you and others that have said the same, that the embarrassment is from being singled out in an ensemble performance when everyone on that stage has more experience than he does. What I'm not sure he gets, is that he's doing as good of job up there are any of those veterans.

Repeating my comment from CH: Now that he's experienced audience appreciation without the opening week fan presence, I doubt he still feels the need to apologize to his castmates for being the newbie so enthusiastically singled out for recognition. At least I hope not.

Clearly, it's not just us.

Awww, KAndre, I hope you feel better soon! I know what you mean about your tongue "worrying" that stub...been there, done that...it's so annoying! Not to mention painful. I'm probably a bigger wuss at the dentist than you, if that's any consolation. I'm tempted to get the nitrous just for CLEANINGS...and no matter how gentle the technician is or how calm I try to be, I still manage to fill my ears with tears and leave claw marks on their dental chair arms. heh *shudders*

Sorry to hear about your XP issues. Circuit City (.com)? Best Buy (.com)? CompUSA (.com)? Fry's (.com)? Overstock.com? Amazon.com? Good luck!

ETA: That IS a classy and smart response to the unclassy and dumbass blog! YEAH!!!

Very. I had no idea Clay had THAT big an impact on the previous Broadway event. That's wonderful to hear.

He makes me feel so proud. I'm so dang proud of him, y'all.

Speaking of feeling proud...and being embarrassed by praise... Thank you all so much for your nice comments about the banner. It makes all the tweaking (and cursing-heh) seem worthwhile. I'm working with an older photo program, which makes it slow going. But I loved the sense of motion in that photo...and who could resist those EYES? I ask ya! :) He still takes my breath away.

I'll post what I posted at CV today.

About the embarrassment, etc.

1st post

You know - it's pretty amazing, actually. Think about the fine line he's been walking!

Here's the "upstart", taking on a prized role on Broadway. He has to be GOOD. Really good! But he can't come off as arrogant.

Yet he's bringing in all these FANS! Many of whom would never have though to go see SPAM.

So - he has to acknowledge and appreciate the fans who do come. But he can't act like they are there just to see him.

He has to know what he's doing.

But he can't seem like he knows it all.

He has to work to overcome the "stunt casting" stigma.

He's part of a team.

But he stands alone.

I'm having indigestion just thinking about it!!!

And on top of all that, he has to bring his Big Black Mountain :giggle: along to deal with very real danger that most cast members can't even imagine!

I don't know if y'all know this - but he's something else!!!

Then when someone took issue with him saying he was embarrassed, I posted this.

2nd Post

You know I had a very wise supervisor once who talked about embarrassment.

She said she used to worry about embarrassing her children until she realized it embarrassed them for her to breathe!

It was then that she realized it was her JOB to embarrass them!!!

Hey, we're FANS! It's our JOB to embarrass Clay!

:polishnails:

But, seriously. It's as I said before. He's doing a balancing act.

And - I know I've said this before. But - that ain't gonna stop me. :hysterical:

Clay is a Southern guy.

The sins of boasting are hammered home here in the South.

Braggin' is just WRONG! Gettin' the Big Head is just WRONG!

And he's in a field where he is, in some quarters, expected to brag!

So - he loves the attention. I fully believe that.

But he can also be embarrassed by the attention at the same time!

Because admitting to attracting the attention is kinda like braggin'!

:wackyface:

So - of course he's embarrassed!!!

(oh, I wish I had that gif right now - the CA putting fingerin his 'dimple' cheek gif. You know the one. Just picture here, K?)

But - I think it's the blushing, dimple producing, eyelash batting kind of embarrassment!

Don't you?

(I am talking about the regular fanship - not the offthedeependIthinkClayknowsmeandsendsmeemails fanship!) :sillygrin:

Someone found the gif for me, too!

AI2_Post--Finale-AwwShucks.gif

Meh. I still maintain Clay never said he was embarrassed by 'us'. People are using that word like it's interchangeable with 'ashamed' or 'humiliated'. He said the extra attention was a little embarrassing. It's not the same thing, IMO. But it's not nearly as dramatic I suppose.

Pray for me!

I made it to my flight WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE EVIL GPS in the freakin' car I had for my multi-hour drive today!

Give me a freakin' paper map any day!

Now I'm B53, for crying out loud! If I end up in the middle seat between two bozos...I'm gonna flip! I mean it!

ahem...

"strapping", eh? :hubbahubba:

heh. Indeed. Although those white pants seem to indicate that no straps are being used, wouldn't you agree?

BTW...Portland Airport is quite civilized---free internet! :clap:

KAndre, my dear....I'm sorry you're dealing with tooth angst...that truly sucks. Drugs and lots of alcohol, honey! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

00lsee...beauteous eyes up there..... :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Ooops! Gotta get in line! Later, peeps! :imgtongue:

I found this video of Hannah Waddingham! She is really good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7gKW7oRnoE

A duet with her and Clay would be great!

If you go to her website... www.hannahwaddingham.com there are links for quite a few videos, including some of her London performances, also with Chris Sieber. It's interesting to hear the differences in both the lyrics and her presentation there. I think she's even better now! I'm not a big fan of female singing voices, but this gal blows me away. She's not only a magnificent voice, she's a great entertainer. She can make me laugh out loud at the same time I'm wowing over her voice. There's only one other person I can think of that can do that for me. *g*

PS.. if you saved the photo of her and Chris earlier, check again - I fixed her red eye in it. (you might have to refresh the page after you click on the thumbnail)

ETA: I did write up a short recap on the Clayboard and I'm lazy, so I'm going to copy it here. I did crib some of my Chris/Hannah story so it's a tiny bit redundant. Sorry!

Thanks to some last minute decisions, some incredible luck on the Telecharge site, and a brand new February holiday Monday here in Ontario, I was able to go back to NYC this weekend and see our boyfriend again. And for the first time in my Clay career, I saw him from the front row center. Seriously the very best seat possible (in my opinion anyway). I have been fortunate enough to see it from pretty much every area now, and although it's true that it's better for the whole production from a little farther back, there is nothing that can top seeing Sir Robin lower himself to one knee in YWSOB literally a few feet in front of your face. Good gah, it was awesome! I can't say enough good things about him, or the whole show in general for that matter. I can only repeat what I said before. I knew I'd love Clay - I never expected to love the show so much. Each and every person on the stage is superlative.

I did notice some changes from the first weekend. There are a couple lines missing altogether (not Clay's - but I noticed for example they took out Patsy's 'I love that, that's my favorite part' line when Arthur brandishes Excalibur at the beginning) and I saw subtle differences in everybody's performances. Lancelot didn't do the high-pitched 'Is it?????' during his rail at Prince Herbert's father. As for Clay, his opening guard scene has become even funnier. He is so... oblivious to the King's frustration. He's funnier, even though there isn't any difference in the lines. His body language is bang on character. Sitting front row center (I was directly behind the conductor) I was able to hear things that I have missed in my previous shows. It's amazing - you can hear their voices 'for real', not just through the speakers. For example, when the girls jump out of the prams, he says 'they aren't babies at all!', lol, then he did the 'come to daddy' and was shimmying and shakin' it all over the place. His dancing seems less studied now (and I thought he was fantastic right off the bat, so that's saying something!) and that frees him. He is really hamming up the 'soiling his pants' episodes, and even though I liked the way he did it in the early performances, the audience really seems to eat it up. His facial expressions during the horse riding in 'Find Your Grail' and 'Brave Sir Robin' are absolutely priceless. You Won't Succeed has evolved into perfection. And the finale, when he comes dancing out of the doorway in that beautimous white tie and tails - gahhhh. No words. It was a once-in-a-lifetime treat for me to be able to sit there.

After the Sunday matinee, I managed to get outside fast enough to be at the stagedoor. I was three layers back, lol - but fortunately was able to reach my playbill over to Clay for signing. I took a few pics just holding my camera in the air and pointing - hoping for the best. I'll post them, but they are not Clack quality. Special memories for me though! I met some wonderful new Clay friends who were kind enough to include a solo traveler in their plans. Shout out to all you lovely ladies. (If I name you I know I'll blow it - you know who you are! SMOOOOOOOOOOCH). We hung around after Clay left, and about a half hour later, Chris (Sieber) and Hannah came out. They were so very warm and gracious. Hannah spoke to us for a good ten minutes, and they both signed autographs and posed for photos. They both said how much they enjoyed the audience enthusiasm, and Hannah especially was appreciative that we waited and were very happy to be meeting her. She invited us to check out her website (hannahwaddingham.com) and sign her guestbook. They are both outstanding performers, and it was a thrill to meet them both. Their duet is a hi-lite of the show for me.

Something else from Sunday night... I haven't read back very far so forgive me if it's been reported. The peasant was a gentleman who seemed truly surprised and thrilled to be brought up on stage. He was wonderfully cute, and very 'deer-in-the-headlights'. (I heard him say afterwards, in the aisle heading out, that it was an amazing day for the Bass (?) family.) Anyhow, some of the knights shook his hand, but he really was dumbfounded looking and when Sir Robin put out his hand, he didn't see it and turned back towards King Arthur again. Sir Robin then gave a double take at his hand a gave the cutest 'hmmmm???' look and head tilt. It was absolutely in character (I can say absolutely cuz it happened a few feet in front of my face, lol) and very funny and in the moment. Boyfriend is very quick, y'all.

I left home at 4:00 am Saturday morning, and by the time I got home on Monday night I had spent 18 hours on a train, 1 hour on a bus (when a derailment down the line caused our train to be diverted), and 4 hours in the car. And it was worth every single second and cent of it. Clay Aiken gives good fandom, y'all.

EATA: I don't know if others have reported on this either, but I have to say - the orchestra pit was a surprise to me. My seat was directly behind the conductor (a very nice, friendly woman on Sunday evening). I have never seen an orchestra pit before (don't laugh at the hick! ) but I had visions of a full orchestra in tuxedos, filling some large space between the seats and the stage. HA!!! it literally did look like a pit, and it is underneath the stage - only the conductor is in front (slightly) of the stage. The musicians were all in street clothes, and there weren't very many of them at all. There is a camera on the conductor, and monitors along the bottom of the mezzanine wall - I assume so the actors can see the conductor? It was all very new to me, and very interesting to see! Also (and as a reward if you made to the end of this long-winded post) I do have extra playbills - PM me if you'd like one.

I think it is great seeing Hannah now, she really did seem to run away from the crowds in the beginning, although I still need her autograph. maybe I can go again this week, you know, with last minute tickets, must not cough though, must buy lots and lots of cough drops.

I think Clay can be over his embarassment now, the first day, there were kind of whoops when he appeared, there aren't any more, there are more laughs at the right places inthe jokes and some random laughs here and there as someone catches something they didn't expect, like a movement by some side character. Theree really is a lot of jockeying for laughs in this show though, where each person tries to crack up the other people on stage, I swore taht Tom deckerman kept changing his role to be more and more absurd with each show I saw, I wonder if that is how and enthusiastic crowd brings the ridiculous out in them? I think Spamalot cast are enjoying the enthusiasm, even if it did take a time for them to warm tothe crowds at the door.

I went to Heather Headley's show, and I am not surprised that Clay brought an extra 50K to that show, I bought a $100 ticket inthe balcony, there were more expensive tickets sold in the orchestra, and cheaper ones int he balcony. There was no question that Clay put butts in the seats, I wonder how it was struggling before, because without us, it would have been pretty empty, there were hundreds of Clay fans on every floor. That is where I met DonnaMom and Dudley in person the first time. I had met other CHers before (ieven if Pennsylvania peeps can never remember me). I was also not surprised that Clay was specifically brought in to do this at the last minute. Sure seemed like it was announced last minute to us fans. Yes, I picked up an extra Playbill for my sister, why do I bother to buy her presents? I bring her all sorts of special crap.

I'm in the midst of watching boys night on AI. So far minimal cuteness and much, much bad hair. Eeeeps!

I really have to stop comparing them to one Clay Aiken. And I think Simon owes CA a kiss you know where*g*

Thanks, merrieeee!

She is so pretty and WOW, what a voice!!!

Yeah...and she was like, rolling around in bed with those big fluffy...pillows. And stuff.

Okay, you guys...You flattered me into making a wallpaper.

gallery_843_37_48025.jpg

Ooh, thanks for the details, cindilu! See, that didn't hurt a bit, did it? Thank you! It seems like such a long time until April!

Thanks, merrieeee!

Yeah...and she was like, rolling around in bed with those big fluffy...pillows. And stuff.

http://www.findingclayaiken.invisionzone.c...43_37_48025.jpg

heh

I can see your graphic above on the side of a bus!!

Can't you?

Thanks, merrieeee!

http://www.findingclayaiken.invisionzone.c...43_37_48025.jpg

heh

I can see your graphic above on the side of a bus!!

Can't you?

It would cause too many accidents as women :hubbahubba: as the bus drives by......

The banner is verrrrry, verrrry niiiice, 00lsee. :)